Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project (41181 Views)

Congested Lagos Ports May Ease As Preferred Bidder Emerges For Ibom Deep Seaport / Vice President Osinbajo Arrives Lekki To Flag Off Deep Sea Port Project / FG Declares Support For Akwa-Ibom Sea Port Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Guestlander: 3:06pm On Mar 04, 2018
remedick:

How will "major seaport in the SS/SE wil industrialize this country faster than you think" ? Is that possible without constant power supply? Me think industrialization is heavily hinge on electricity and nothing else, so can a sea port industrialize Nigeria in the absence of power supply in constant flow?

A beg ask them o.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 3:18pm On Mar 04, 2018
remedick:

How will "major seaport in the SS/SE wil industrialize this country faster than you think" ? Is that possible without constant power supply? Me think industrialization is heavily hinge on electricity and nothing else, so can a sea port industrialize Nigeria in the absence of power supply in constant flow?
You are trying to reason with a dunce whose only focus is on importing without thinking that somehow imports must be paid for. They have no idea of how to grow the economy other than spending oil receipts on consumption . Who then are the biggest parasites?

Those countries we import from Would they manufacture anything if all they know is to load containers with rubbish.

Instead of talking about how to industrialize the country they are talking about how better to import and consume without production.
Switzerland is a landlocked country that has not held them back so stop pretending that is why the SE is so derelict
Nothing wrong with having as many orts as possible .Many of the losers secretly hope it will be the demise of Lagos not knowing Lagos will ALWAYS be ahead because we have visionary leaders..

In all honesty I hope the port is delivered but I know that Udom cannot deliver it . He does not have the competence given his antecedents.unless we see $100 oil before he vacates office.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 04, 2018

2 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 3:27pm On Mar 04, 2018
SoulSearching:
Akwa ibom already produces sufficient electricity but has to share it with the Nigerian national grid
You can make the same claim about Kainji, About Lagos about Shiroro etc. It has no meaning

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by deomelllo: 3:30pm On Mar 04, 2018
phantom:
i mentioned it another thread that a major seaport in ibaka( deeper than apapa even without dredging) will finish lagos in a couple of years.
The truth is most importers are igbos. If this port comes to fruition, the south east/ south south will be the main nexus whether you yorubas like it or not.
You dont like to hear the truth but its actually the igbos that are keeping lagos afloat. About 70% of our imports are headed to the SE/SS. Once they build this port, a lot of importers will not bother using apapa or tincan.
A major seaport NEAR igboland will change this country for good. mark my words! If only we were truly "a nation" with love for each other, a major seaport in the SS/SE wil industrialize this country faster than you think.
Do you know how much an aba based shoemaker will save if he's imports are just 1 or 2 hours drive away from his factory. More companies will spring up. innoson will import his parts through ibaka because his factories are in enugu.
The advantages to the SE/SS is enormous.

According to you, 70% of the goods entering Nigeria with almost 200 million people is sent to 2 regions with meager population, the lowest economic activities and purchasing power?

Exactly what are they doing in the SE and SS with massive 70% of Nigerian imports?

Do they have larger markets and purchasing power in the SS and SE than Lagos state?

Do they have more imports and raw material consuming industries than Lagos state and Ogun state

Lastly, consuming 70% of Nigerian imports means not only massive industrial and market consumption, but huge IGR figures in the SS/SE.

So, why are the IGRs in the SE/SS the lowest in Nigeria?

I know you people love to throw around fake and imaginary figures, but try add common sense and logic to your senseless and illogical claims.

3 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 04, 2018

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by deomelllo: 3:41pm On Mar 04, 2018
Originalsly:

Why do we still believe Free Trade Zone is a good development?...when in fact it is an exploitation of cheap labour , often an environmental danger and robs the country of revenue....the reason why FTZ are never in developed countries. The companies pretty much have "diplomatic immunity' in that they are not bound by local laws in the FTZ...they make their own rules...pay workers what they want to...usually impose fines for every little thing to reduce the little they pay. ..dump whatever toxic waste destroying the environment and when all is done...pack up and move on to the next location. But this...we call development...foreign investment.
@ topic...Deepwater port...excellent...location...great. But how would goods be transported to and from the port? There is no talk of constructing a suitable road network. Sooo short sighted.

As an exporter, your company should also consider the customs privileges of U.S. foreign trade zones (FTZs). These zones are domestic U.S. sites that are considered outside U.S. Customs territory and are available for activities that might otherwise be carried on overseas for customs reasons. For export operations, the zones provide accelerated export status for purposes of excise tax rebates. There is no issue of drawback because duties are not collected when the goods are in the FTZ. For import and reexport activities, no customs duties, federal excise taxes, or state or local ad valorem taxes are charged on foreign goods moved into FTZs unless and until the goods or products made from them are moved into U.S. Customs territory. Thus, FTZs can be profitable for operations involving foreign dutiable materials and components being assembled or produced here for reexport. Also, no quota restrictions ordinarily apply to export activity.

https://enforcement.trade.gov/ftzpage/letters/ftzlist-map.html

There are FTZ's all over the US.

I do agree per environmental and labor issues, but FTZ provides huge manufacturing, employment and industrialization benefits. We do have laws against such issues, we just have to enforce our laws.

3 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Guestlander: 3:43pm On Mar 04, 2018
deomelllo:

According to you, 70% of the goods entering Nigeria with almost 200 million people is sent to a regions with meager population, the lowest economic activities and purchasing power?

Exactly what are they doing in the SE and SS with massive 70% of Nigerian imports?

Do they have larger markets and purchasing power in the SS and SE than Lagos state?

Do they have more imports and raw material consuming industries than Lagos state and Ogun state

Lastly, consuming 70% of Nigerian imports means not only massive industrial and market consumption, but huge IGR figures in the SS/SE.

So, why are the IGRs in the SE/SS are the lowest in Nigeria?

I know you people love to throw around fake and imaginary figures, but try add common sense and logic to your senseless and illogical claims.

A beg help me ask o.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by EternalTruths: 3:45pm On Mar 04, 2018
ELKHALIFAISIS:
please you should let the east and their brothers from SS do the worrying... u are shedding tears more than the bereaved, let have seaport across Niger bridge let see how it goes... The Yoruba's come up with insolent lies and blame the non functionality of ports in South South and South East regions to be attributed to insecurity in the South South region. I then ask: How come this same 'insecurity' didn't stop petroleum activities in that same region the way it 'affected' port activities?

Don't mind Afonjas.

Piracy can never stop the exportation of oil but is able to stop the importation/exportation of Eastern goods according to descendants of the fallen angel.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by EternalTruths: 3:49pm On Mar 04, 2018
remedick:

More entrepreneurs will become more successful and build multinational industries on the long run
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by remedick: 3:51pm On Mar 04, 2018
0monnak0da:
You are trying to reason with a dunce whose only focus is on importing without thinking that somehow imports must be paid for. They have no idea of how to grow the economy other than spending oil receipts on consumption . Who then are the biggest parasites?

Those countries we import from Would they manufacture anything if all they know is to load containers with rubbish.

Instead of talking about how to industrialize the country they are talking about how better to import and consume without production.
Switzerland is a landlocked country that has not held them back so stop pretending that is why the SE is so derelict
Nothing wrong with having as many orts as possible .Many of the losers secretly hope it will be the demise of Lagos not knowing Lagos will ALWAYS be ahead because we have visionary leaders..

In all honesty I hope the port is delivered but I know that Udom cannot deliver it . He does not have the competence given his antecedents.unless we see $100 oil before he vacates office.

Their matter tire me bro. Being a SE'er myself, I find it disgusting why these guys who rant on Nairaland about being marginalized find it HARD to at least blame the SE leaders for not doing their job... Everybody is fighting for their own share and you don't expect SW leaders to leave their people's development and well-being to come and do the job that SE leaders should do... Why do they always blame everyone else but their own leaders? They can HARDLY discuss without weaving biafra or past events into it as we have clearly seen on this thread.

I mean this thread has no link to Biafra but some cesspit breeds find it convenient to bring that into discourse...

So what is the job of SE senators and reps? What are they doing? It was on Nairaland last year that I read a none south east leader at the senate was the one who voiced out about the exclusion of SE zone for the railway line... I mean what were the igbo leaders doing at that time?

PRETTY SICK SHIITS!

3 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by wtfcoded: 3:53pm On Mar 04, 2018
Guestlander:

Port is located at Akwa Ibom, I hope you don't jinx it with tribalism like you did to Jonathan''s re-election.
Where are ur eyes when u need them most. undecided
If u are Igbo n also into importation business, u will knw what I mean.

2 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by deomelllo: 3:53pm On Mar 04, 2018
E[b]LKHALIFAISIS:[/b]
because the one in Lagos will be useless if this one get head... who go dey happy when his source of income won close... west can't do without east patronage, give them standard airport/seaport and watch as lagoon crumble

Igbos here on NL made the same meaningless claims about their onisha river port, but where are we today?

There are many seaports in that region already and Lagos is still standing so of what relevance is another drawing board and imaginary port?

You people need to get real.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 3:53pm On Mar 04, 2018
SoulSearching:
I think every city (I view those Nigerians states as cities because they're small) should produce their own electricity . Tokyo is atleast twice larger than Akwa ibom .Los Angeles is atleast twice larger than Akwa ibom.

even If only Lagos city and Akwa ibom city have constant power supply in Nigeria, that would be progress made.

I am not sure the relevance of the size of Tokyo or Los Angeles to the issue at hand.
There is no basis for comparing anything whather in terms of wealth or technological advancement o political complexity

In Nigeria it all comes down to money. States do not have the money .If they did they would not be waiting for you to THINK it.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by wtfcoded: 3:57pm On Mar 04, 2018
deomelllo:

Igbos here on NL made the same meaningless claims about their onisha river port, but where are we today?

There are many seaports in that region already and Lagos is still standing so of what relevance is another drawing board and imaginary port?

You people need to get real.
Can u please name the sea port(s) in the eastern region undecided
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 3:58pm On Mar 04, 2018
jomonic:

Even if the truth comes in a basin of amala you still will not see it. My job is not to teach you history.
That is a subtle way of admitting defeat.
I WILL TEACH YOU HISTORY

Eboes went into coalition government with Fulani to govern Nigeria FACT!!

You can try and muddy the waters by talking about gbegiri and amala it changes nothing

Eboes are the perennial slaves of the Fulani in Nigerian politics.

Why did you not use your access to the National cake to build Ibaka,?

Now you are blaming Awolowo? A wartime Finance Minister? Was he suposed to build Ibaka Seaport during the civil war

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 4:05pm On Mar 04, 2018
wtfcoded:

Can u please name the sea port(s) in the eastern region undecided
Port Harcourt ,Calabar and Onne are functional ports in that region

2 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by remedick: 4:06pm On Mar 04, 2018
EternalTruths:

More entrepreneurs will become more successful and build multinational industries on the long run
what will the industries run on to operate their machines? To the best of my knowledge, the East does not even enjoy much power supply... so what will the machines in the East work with?

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 4:07pm On Mar 04, 2018
remedick:
what will the industries run on to operate their machines? To the best of my knowledge, the East does not even enjoy much power supply... so what will the machines in the East work with?
Faith

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by EternalTruths: 4:07pm On Mar 04, 2018
remedick:

Between the East and West, which region has more Natural Gas to power their Generators.
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by EternalTruths: 4:10pm On Mar 04, 2018
0monnak0da:

Yoruba lies.
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by wtfcoded: 4:11pm On Mar 04, 2018
0monnak0da:

How functional?
Have u visited any of them b4?
Even the federal government almost started the one at bridge head,onitsha n its now an abandoned project.

Don't worry, wait till this one gets completed(if politics will allow the development) n u will see what is called a "functional sea port".
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Anambra1stSon(m): 4:12pm On Mar 04, 2018
deomelllo:

[s]
According to you, 70% of the goods entering Nigeria with almost 200 million people is sent to 2 regions with meager population, the lowest economic activities and purchasing power?

So, why are the IGRs in the SE/SS the lowest in Nigeria?

I know you people love to throw around fake and imaginary figures, but try add common sense and logic to your senseless and illogical claims.[/s]
I don't know why dumboo like you discuss economics, area you know nothing

40-45percent cargoes import to Nigeria end up in southeast markets- Boss Mustapha NIWA
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/11/billions-spent-dredging-river-niger-havent-yielded-no-fruits-boss-mustapha/

2 Likes

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Vabasi(m): 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2018
I pray this should come to manifestation for this will bring employment opportunities to Akwa Ibomites and will also boost economic activities around the region.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by fkelly(m): 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2018
since 2004 they are still bidding, by 2020 they will be selecting bidders, we know this ethics in play when we see it, we are watching.
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Anambra1stSon(m): 4:28pm On Mar 04, 2018
0monnak0da:

[s]Port Harcourt ,Calabar and Onne are functional ports in that region [/s]
To many ignorants folks here grin cheesy which one is Port Harcourt? Onne port provides logistics for Oil & Gas firms, also Service centre for the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria both Onshore and Offshore. Calaba port not yet dredge

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by remedick: 4:31pm On Mar 04, 2018
EternalTruths:

Between the East and West, which region has more Natural Gas to power their Generators.
While I undestand where u are driving at, i will ask again: What are the EASTER LEADERS doing about it?
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 4:38pm On Mar 04, 2018
EternalTruths:

Don't mind Afonjas.

Piracy can never stop the exportation of oil but is able to stop the importation/exportation of Eastern goods according to descendants of the fallen angel.
my brother follow me ask them abeg
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by johnzik: 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2018
How i wish both south south and easthern governors can put hands together to actualise this project knowing its economic importance to them

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by EternalTruths: 4:42pm On Mar 04, 2018
remedick:
While I undestand where u are driving at, i will ask again: What are the EASTER LEADERS doing about it?

Akwa Ibom has a gas powered station and will build more.
Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by Blue3k(m): 4:44pm On Mar 04, 2018
SoulSearching:
Nigeria is a poor country when you consider the GDP per capita. Nigeria does not export or even import enough to need more than one seaport .Nigeria has not achieved it's full potential .the only thing being exported from Nigeria at the moment is Oil. and the oil is actually exported directly from the reservoirs. For example , the oil is shipped directly from the shores of Akwa ibom and river state ,not Lagos .
in fact, the Lagos seaport 95 percent importing and 5 percent exporting.
0monnak0da:

If there is evacuation infrastructure in place then the Akwa Ibom port will be a great success. The question is where will the money for that come from.

The other thing to bear in mind is our import consumption model is not sustainable if crude oil is the only way of paying for imports so we need to be thinking of ports that export not just import.[/b]

The port will have an industrial city, OGFZ and there's other near buy states that can use it for their exports. There's plenty to export especially if ALSCON comes back to life. The federal government will simply have to make the sale.

Originalsly:

Why do we still believe Free Trade Zone is a good development?...when in fact it is an exploitation of cheap labour , often an environmental danger and robs the country of revenue....the reason why FTZ are never in developed countries. The companies pretty much have "diplomatic immunity' in that they are not bound by local laws in the FTZ...they make their own rules...pay workers what they want to...usually impose fines for every little thing to reduce the little they pay. ..dump whatever toxic waste destroying the environment and when all is done...pack up and move on to the next location. But this...we call development...foreign investment.
@ topic...Deepwater port...excellent...location...great. But how would goods be transported to and from the port? There is no talk of constructing a suitable road network. Sooo short sighted.

Not true at all FTZ are common all over the world especially Asia. They are necessary in Africa because of the laws and tax incentives are draconian. The OGFZ for example attracted most of the foreign investment. Nobody gets diplomatic immunity if that was case Atiku company wouldn't have been reprimanded.

The rules are set by NASS since they enact laws. It's then regulates by extractive branch and managed by agencies like NPA. You wrong about road network as well. They are building super highway for deep sea port. It's 6 lane highway under construction right now.

Ibime:

It is a white elephant project. Ships do not pass Niger Delta due to Insurance premiums doubling from pirates. Friend of mine who works in maritime comms in UK said they get more distress calls from Nigeria than Somalia. Infact most of their calls are from Nigeria.

We already have Port Harcourt and Calabar which are hardly used. Any eediot knows the priority should be tackling piracy, not planning a new port. Not sure if our useless Navy have the capacity or skills.

You can do both. The NNS Jubilee is in Ikot Abasi. The NASS and navy working to strengthen navy with more ships. Also NIMASA contracted with Israeli firm to guard water. The federal governmebt has 20% stake in Port the will work on this issue.

1 Like

Re: 100 Companies Bid For Ibom Deep Sea Port Project by 0monnak0da: 4:47pm On Mar 04, 2018
post=65555137:

To many ignorants folks here grin cheesy which one is Port Harcourt? Onne port provides logistics for Oil & Gas firms, also Service centre for the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria both Onshore and Offshore. Calaba port not yet dredge

IGNORANT Is not a noun

In your mind you think you know.
You have 4 problems.

You don't know
You don't know that you don't know
You think you know
Your English is atrocious

Port Harcourt port is an upriver port in Rivers State

Calabar port is a port functioning within the liimits of its geograhical peculiarities.
I don't know what you mean by not yet dredge(sic) . Calabar port has been dredged several times over the years.

Dangote uses Onne Port for cement activities.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lazarus Iwari Sokobe's Burial: Patience & Goodluck Jonathan Arrive Okrika / Fuel Scarcity: Policeman In Ibadan Searching For Fuel - Photos / Killers Of Deborah Samuel Must Face Justice - British High Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.