Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (34661 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by mikebrown92: 11:46am On Apr 04, 2018
goodvision12:
Thank you very much for your advice.The problem i have now is that i dont have a lawyer friend.pls how can i get in touch with one

Are you willing to spend over 50k cux of 2500 maintenance fee for pumping machine?
That money is too small for you to involve lawyer.

If you don't want to be paying for the maintenance, get you pipe watet disconnected and be free om your own
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by goodvision12(m): 11:47am On Apr 04, 2018
Boss13:

Lawyer don’t work for free, whether friend or not. If you don’t have the financial means to get a lawyer, please reconsider your motive. Your landlord will destroy you. Complete the rent period and relocate.
ok thanx
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Boss13: 11:47am On Apr 04, 2018
Troublemaker007:

Na better quit notice dey hungry you. Without being told can’t you tell his landlord is the oppressor type of Landlord cheesy

Unfortunately, these are the kind of Landlords in Nigeria. The most horrible ones are those that reside within the same building with their tenants.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by InvertedHammer: 11:48am On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
On Sunday, 1 April 2018. A meeting was organized by the landlord of the house where I live. He mandated us (each tenants) to contribute 2,500 Naira for the repairs of the damaged machine.

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here.

NOTE: this is not the first time we would be contributing money to fix one thing or the other, pumping machine today, tomorrow it would be transformer issue..

And I PAY MONTHLY FOR OUR BOREHOLE WATER oo

/
It is the Landlord's responsibility to ensure that the pump machine is working.

But then in Nigeria, most people don't know their left from their right even when they claim to be educated. Ever wonder why Nigerians are easily taken for a ride?

If you must pay, make sure to record and deduct it when next rent is due. The house is not the only house available for rent.

/

4 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Koolking(m): 11:55am On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
I'll check it when I get home.

Always refer to MOU you signed with your Landlord concerning issues bordering on your tenancy before seeking opinions from a third party.

Personally, I think fixing a faulty Water pump should be the responsibility of the tenants, they are the one using the machines for their comfort. Most Landlord would take the lead, but if they don't, let the tenants contribute and take care of their community. Different strokes for different folks
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by nextstep(m): 11:58am On Apr 04, 2018
It's the landlord's responsibility to take care of their property - this includes the grounds, roofs, doors, toilets, pumps, etc. as part of regular wear and tear. If tenants damage things intentionally through malice or carelessness (e.g. breaking a window, door, toilet), they would be responsible.

For instance, roofs eventually rust or leak, generators and pumps need repair - I feel that's part of landlords (or estate agent) responsibility, usually handled by reserving 5-10% of rent for repairs and maintenance.

On the other hand, it's also fair for tenants to pay for what they use (so a water fee is OK, or trash fee, or electricity, etc).

That said, if the landlord is asking for 2500 to help contribute to fixing the pump, it might be a fair price to pay, just for the convenience of having water. I'm not saying you have to, since it's not in the rental contract, but it's a nice thing to cooperate with everybody in the house for the better good, your convenience, and peace & quiet.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Boss13: 12:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
InvertedHammer:

/
It is the Landlord's responsibility to ensure that the pump machine is working.

But then in Nigeria, most people don't know their left from their right even when they claim to be educated. Ever wonder why Nigerians are easily taken for a ride?

/

Very true - someone was distinguishing fixtures from fittings and ironically saying the Landlord is responsible for fixtures and tenants, responsible for fittings. When fixtures and fittings are actually the same thing, a word used together for small items in buildings.

When you can argue from the principle of ownership

- Who owns the asset?

The Landlord owns the building and all accessories, fixtures and fittings to the building

- Who enjoys the proceeds from owning the asset?

The Landlord enjoys rent proceedings from owning the building

- Without the Asset, will the owner enjoy any benefit?

Without pumping machine, there will be no water and tenants will not rent the property. The Landlord stands to lose income as a result of this.

Hence, as a result of his/her incident to ownership, he/she must fix and maintain the asset.

However, because Nigeria is a place where the rights of people are not respected, it is better to behave and avoid problems from draconian Landlords.

5 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Boss13: 12:08pm On Apr 04, 2018
nextstep:
It's the landlord's responsibility to take care of their property - this includes the grounds, roofs, doors, toilets, pumps, etc. as part of regular wear and tear. If tenants damage things intentionally through malice or carelessness (e.g. breaking a window, door, toilet), they would be responsible.

For instance, roofs eventually rust or leak, generators and pumps need repair - I feel that's part of landlords (or estate agent) responsibility, usually handled by reserving 5-10% of rent for repairs and maintenance.

On the other hand, it's also fair for tenants to pay for what they use (so a water fee is OK, or trash fee, or electricity, etc).

That said, if the landlord is asking for 2500 to help contribute to fixing the pump, it might be a fair price to pay, just for the convenience of having water. I'm not saying you have to, since it's not in the rental contract, but it's a nice thing to cooperate with everybody in the house for the better good, your convenience, and peace & quiet.

I agree with everything you stated except your third paragraph. The tenant should only be liable to his/her usage/consumption. That is why tenants pay utility bills. Please let’s know our right first.

Do you know even in abroad, they provide you with fridge, stove/gas cooker, microwave oven and you ONLY pay for the electricity bill consumed for utilizing these items and if they are damaged, you escalate and they fix or replace them. They never ask the tenant - Chief shey Na you dey use these assets, you go need buy new one.

Please don’t even say that is abroad - First go and read the Tenancy legislation signed into law by the Lagos state government. It is very similar to what is obtainable abroad.

The simple conclusion here is that Nigerians don’t know their rights and nobody respects the rights of others in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by mfm04622: 12:20pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
yes I pay for water every month.

Tenants are responsible for repairing things they use in The house. The landlord is to repair the structure itself. As for the 500 you pay monthly, kindly confirm exactly what it is for. Is it to pay for the electricity or what? Tenants are responsible, but if you already pay 500 every month, ask them to remove it money from the monthly payments
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by pooozeee(m): 12:24pm On Apr 04, 2018
If the Landlord lives with the tenant then it is everyone responsibility to fix the water pump, if he doesn't then it is the responsibility of the tenant to fix whatever they damage in the house
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 04, 2018
If you are already paying N500 maintenance fee for water monthly, then the landlord should use that to fix the water pump.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by ice4u999(m): 12:25pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
I'll check it when I get home.

MODIFIED: Every flat pays 500 Naira each monthly . There are about 25-30 flats in the compound. The land accomodates two buildings (2 storey buildings each), when I asked I was told the 500 Naira is for water maintenance so why then should I contribute 2,500 Naira again.

Note: we use post paid meter and we have regular electricity, in fact power goes off for just 30 mins in a week so the N500 is not for fueling any generator or for prepaid meter

The first question to ask is, what is the 500 Naira really for. It might be for electricity charges for running the underground pump and surface pump. But if that is not the intent for the payment or no other reason given then to me the landlord should fix the pump.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by ibabz(m): 12:27pm On Apr 04, 2018
repairing is the responsiblity of the tenants, however, if you want to replace the faulty pumping machine with new one, then that is the landlord's responsibility.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Helpfromabove1(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2018
Boss13:

Very true - someone was distinguishing fixtures from fittings and ironically saying the Landlord is responsible for fixtures and tenants, responsible for fittings. When fixtures and fittings are actually the same thing, a word used together for small items in buildings.

When you can argue from the principle of ownership

- Who owns the asset?

The Landlord owns the building and all accessories, fixtures and fittings to the building

- Who enjoys the proceeds from owning the asset?

The Landlord enjoys rent proceedings from owning the building

- Without the Asset, will the owner enjoy any benefit?

Without pumping machine, there will be no water and tenants will not rent the property. The Landlord stands to lose income as a result of this.

Hence, as a result of his/her incident to ownership, he/she must fix and maintain the asset.

However, because Nigeria is a place where the rights of people are not respected, it is better to behave and avoid problems from draconian Landlords.

You think you are right I please ask you these questions

1. The bulb in your room stopped working due to your usage, please who should replace it THE LANDLORD OR YOU (note you pay your rent regularly but no service charge)

2. While cooking in the kitchen you gas cylinder explode and burn down section of the house also not you pay your rent regularly

3.lastly you paid someone to use his car while driving the car you knock down a fence with the car PLEASE WHO WILL TAKE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REPAIR OF THE FENCE
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by giftokim(m): 12:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
it is the duty of the tenants to repair whatever is bad
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Oju4190: 12:34pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
On Sunday, 1 April 2018. A meeting was organized by the landlord of the house where I live. He mandated us (each tenants) to contribute 2,500 Naira for the repairs of the damaged machine.

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here. Guy I think u are so stingy

NOTE: this is not the first time we would be contributing money to fix one thing or the other, pumping machine today, tomorrow it would be transformer issue..

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by iykmon: 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2018
Well I think in this case it is the landlord. But a situation where the landlord is not around or no lawyer or house agent that managers the place what do you do?
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2018
tolu4you:
Give me your bank account details so i can pay for you........ You better pay before your landlord give you quit notice.
like he cant get a house elsewhere if given quit notice? I am sure u don't pay bill so this write up is not for u, cos u cant relate to it
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Enufo: 12:39pm On Apr 04, 2018
This is my little suggestion:
The #2,500 is too outrageous for each tenant, hence what you will do is to collectively call different engineer/repairer and ask how much will they pair it, call them separate each, compare the price with what your landlord is charging. why i said so is that my sister and her family rented one house when they where in PH the landlady's apartment had electricity problem because she dont want to spent her money to fixed it, she disorganized every apartment's electricity and later said the amount to fixed it was 15k, after the meeting one of the tenants said he has an electrician that will fix it , do you know that the electrician the other tenant called fixed it for 2,500k? that was how dat landlady wanted to rob her tenants, but for smartness of the tenants saved them a whole lots of stress.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by realtalk19: 12:41pm On Apr 04, 2018
God bless my landlord.he is very rare kind of man. he bought a new immersion water pump after d former got spoilt. he didnt collect a dime for it .

he told d plumber to repair d spoilt machine nd kip as extra incase of emergency when he isnt around(he travels out evry 6 monts) he only collected 2k frm me nd neigbour for d repair of d old machine.

we ar only 2 tenants.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Enufo: 12:41pm On Apr 04, 2018
But if the Landlord is occupying an apartment there he should pay too

1. The bulb in your room stopped working due to your usage, please who should replace it THE LANDLORD OR YOU (note you pay your rent regularly but no service charge)

2. While cooking in the kitchen you gas cylinder explode and burn down section of the house also not you pay your rent regularly

3.lastly you paid someone to use his car while driving the car you knock down a fence with the car PLEASE WHO WILL TAKE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REPAIR OF THE FENCE [/quote]
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 12:44pm On Apr 04, 2018
Helpfromabove1:

3.lastly you paid someone to use his car while driving the car you knock down a fence with the car PLEASE WHO WILL TAKE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REPAIR OF THE FENCE
u are not making any point, because all that u just used for example is different from amenities dat a landlord had guranteed u before u took the house only for u to move in and u are left to bear the consequences, what does the landlord do with their monthly contribution, 500 multiplied by almost 30 tenants?

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 12:45pm On Apr 04, 2018
iykmon:
Well I think in this case it is the landlord. But a situation where the landlord is not around or no lawyer or house agent that managers the place what do you do?
the money used should be deducted from their next rent simple
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 12:50pm On Apr 04, 2018
5thElement:
If you are already paying N500 maintenance fee for water monthly, then the landlord should use that to fix the water pump.
bros ur head is there, God will bless u and me with our own house, and he will give us the grace not to extort money from people like some stupid once

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Mcleo007(m): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2018
I have a similar situation at my place.

In my case, my landlord is the most useless and shameless person ever known to me. He does not want to contribute to anything, not even to things that benefit his immediate family; the light bill is on us and some other minor things, since he lives in the same compound with us.

Now, the water machine got spoilt some months back. He called me and another tenant to tell us the machine is bad and needs to be replaced. Knowing the kind of person he is, I suggested he calls every tenant to let each one know what commitment to make(I know he would never fix it). He said he is too big to do that, and he expects us to rally round and fix it even if he is not around. Coincidentally at about the time it got bad, NEPA came to disconnect our light. As such, we were out of power for some weeks, before we reconnected.

To cut the story short, his family faced certain humiliations from neighbours during the course of seeking water outside, that then prompted, along with two new neighbours who approached him about the water issue. Eventually, both tenants contributed a vast sum, left for him to add up something meagre to get it replaced. Upon replacing it, he disconected everyone except those new tenants.

The irony of it all is, he pumps water with NEPA power that we pay for, and denies access from getting said water. I believe tenants are responsible for repairs and not replacing major things such as pumping machine, especially when the landlord lives in the same compound. If he needs support, he can call for it, but not seat and expect tenants to fix a major investment in his own property. If a strong should blow off the roof or knock down the fence, would he call on tenants to replace it?

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 12:55pm On Apr 04, 2018
mikebrown92:
So far you are part of the user, you are liable to contribute to the repair of it.

What if the landlord decide to be using it all alone and take up the full maintenance on his own, would that be fair to you?
But the landlord has chosen to share it with you and you don't want to contribute to the maintenance and you want to enjoy the water...

Really? share indeed, was water supply not pare of wat he told the guy wen he wanted to rent his house out? u better say something reasonable

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here.

Who pays for the electricity used to pump the borehole water? Isn't that what the N500 is for? And if the landlord also uses the water pumped by the same machine he should contribute for the repairs ALONGSIDE you guys. Whoever uses it pays for maintenance, it makes no difference whether you are landlord or tenant.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by aniweta12(m): 12:57pm On Apr 04, 2018
If the landlord is living in the compound, the bill will be shared with him but if not only the tenants will bear the cost just like you people pay your electricity bills.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 12:58pm On Apr 04, 2018
Kizyte:
Oga, I don't like tenants like you. You better learn to cooperate so things will work fine
and nobody likes a landlord like u who would leave his house half backed and wait for tenants to do his job for him

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by obc: 12:59pm On Apr 04, 2018
Must everything be tribalised. Why mentioning Igbos? You better change or.......
STEKENT:
Why is it difficult for igbo people to develop people house. I will never rent my apartment to igbo. Oversabi and troublesome is the motto.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
Reelmii:
u are not making any point, because all that u just used for example is different from amenities dat a landlord had guranteed u before u took the house only for u to move in and u are left to bear the consequences, what does the landlord do with their monthly contribution, 500 multiplied by almost 30 tenants?

You fail to see the point you mean

No LANDLORD guarantee his house , their is a difference between guarantee and tenancy

Please also note in this type of discussion if we have not heard from the other party (the landlord) it will be wise to be guarded and not jump to conclusions , for you to comment on the monthly 500 you need more information about
So let stay focus SHOULD HE PAY FOR THE REPAIR OR NOT (please note not even the money allocated )

Lastly all the three questions are examples of rental agreement
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by mhizsuzzy(f): 1:03pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
funnily enough, he gives water to outsiders for free. His house is the most expensive in the area so people living in his house are considered rich hence we should should solely take care of the expenses
location of d hauz, town and state?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Properties With C Of O For Sale in Ibadan, Lagos & Other Parts of Nigeria / NURTW Office Collapses In Ibadan As Taofeek Oyerinde Escapes Tragedy / CONTACT ME FOR A NICE BUILDING DESIGNS AT AFFORDABLE RATE....... 09039590798

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.