Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,968 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (34646 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by abnot: 1:07pm On Apr 04, 2018

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 1:10pm On Apr 04, 2018
Helpfromabove1:

You fail to see the point you mean

No LANDLORD guarantee his house , their is a difference between guarantee and tenancy

Please also note in this type of discussion if we have not heard from the other party (the landlord) it will be wise to be guarded and not jump to conclusions , for you to comment on the monthly 500 you need more information about
So let stay focus SHOULD HE PAY FOR THE REPAIR OR NOT (please note not even the money allocated )

Lastly all the three questions are examples of rental agreement
he should not pay for the repair until a proper account is given on the monthly contribution paid by each tenants, if the contribution was used for something worth while, then there is need for him to contribute, but if the landlord can't give a good account on how the money was spent, he should be made to repair the bore hole

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by sekundosekundo: 1:13pm On Apr 04, 2018
LKO:

When your septic tank get filled tomorrow, you would also insist that the landlord should bear the cost of evacuation himself. Some tenants are troublesome. Assuming your landlord don't stay in the same compound with you, you would go drag him to come fix the water pump machine? I now see why it is fashionable these days not to share your premises with tenants. Build your small house and stay in peace, then build a house elsewhere to rent out and managed by agents to avoid tenants problem,

We bought a new water pump in my compound just last month and we the three tenants paid four thousand naira each while the landlord paid a slightly higher amount, there was no quarrel.

What type of pump did you guys buy for almost 20k, is it surface or submersible?. Pls tell me let me expose that plumber to avoid further looting cheesy.
That's my business grin

Just tell me the name and the size of the pumping machine. I am sure the plumber must have looted you guys.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by ENEONWO(m): 1:14pm On Apr 04, 2018
My friend don't mind those castigating you and urging you pay. Every rent includes house maintenance fee. Maintenance charge is not same as utility charge. If before you packed in, there was water supply to the estate and you probably preferred that place because you were informed that there is water, the landlord has to keep providing it. The much you can do is to pay for fuelling the generator when there is no NEPA light. It is the landlord's responsibility to maintain his house, and its fittings. That's one of the reasons why you pay rent. If you continue to pay like that, one day, electric pole will fall and you will pay to replace it; fence will collapse and you will pay, gate will get old and you will pay. Landlord has that responsibility to provide the facilities and maintain them, while the tenant has the responsibility for settling the running cost (fuelling).

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by MrMakaveli20(m): 1:15pm On Apr 04, 2018
same issue happened in my house last week. the pumping machine packed up. Landlord got a new one and paid the guys, raking in a bill of 58k. each flat was levied 4k. that means, we will give the landlord a total sum of 20k, and he covered the rest.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2018
Reelmii:
he should not pay for the repair until a proper account is given on the monthly contribution paid by each tenants, if the contribution was used for something worth while, then there is need for him to contribute, but if the landlord can't give a good account on how the money was spent, he should be made to repair the bore hole

You are mixing up things and try not to. Take it one by one
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by fimi: 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2018
Broda, some landlord ar becoming ridiculous these days. Same thing happened in my house sometimes last month, we informed him about it and he neglected us. We later pay 4k each to fix d pumping machine, having in mind we ll deduct it frm d next house rent.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Boss13: 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2018
Helpfromabove1:

You think you are right I please ask you these questions

1. The bulb in your room stopped working due to your usage, please who should replace it THE LANDLORD OR YOU (note you pay your rent regularly but no service charge)

2. While cooking in the kitchen you gas cylinder explode and burn down section of the house also not you pay your rent regularly

3.lastly you paid someone to use his car while driving the car you knock down a fence with the car PLEASE WHO WILL TAKE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REPAIR OF THE FENCE

I will try to answer your question without expressing arrogance. However, before I proceed, I think I have stated in a previous comment that it is important to read agreements before signing. If your Tenancy agreement stipulates certain conditions, you are obligated to comply with such agreement. Our argument on this thread is based on situations where there are no stipulated obligations between Landlord and Tenants and that area is blurred. In that circumstances, I shall proceed to answer your question

Question 1 - In some houses, I don’t know the one you live in, before you open the light bulb casing, you must inform the Landlord or Estate management Company or their representatives. In fact, a mere escalation of the damage prompts them to send their service/maintenance manager to resolve or replace the light bulb. I know in the average houses in Nigeria, the tenant replaces the bulb. In fact, the tenant don’t even get to meet a bulb in the house before he/she occupies the house. So they buy a new one and replace them when damaged.

Question 2 - Have you ever heard of Building insurance before? The Landlord is responsible to take our insurance for his/her building to mitigate these kind of risk. Also, have you ever heard of Tenancy/Content Insurance before? The Tenant is expected to take our an insurance to protect them of their own content (that is their own property). Some Landlords won’t rent or lease out to you if you don’t have this insurance. Some many ignore it. However, I know many houses, especially on the mainland don’t even have insurance and don’t encourage their tenant to have one. In fact, insurance is weird thing in Nigeria.

Question 3 is a useless question, out of context and unrelated to the main topic. Nonetheless, to answer this useless question of yours - if the building has a comprehensive insurance, the insurance company will cater for incident cause by 3rd parties. However, if this is not cover, the perpetrator should repair the fence.

I have onced lived in a house with a bad landlord and Shitty lease agreement. After our toxic relationship, which I made sure he suffered equally like he made me suffer, I promised myself never to ignore things. Read your lease agreement and where you are not clear, draw the attention of your landlord or their representatives to such matter. Also, know your rights and if you are not clear about your Tenancy rights, ask your lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by sekundosekundo: 1:25pm On Apr 04, 2018
MrMakaveli20:
same issue happened in my house last week. the pumping machine packed up. Landlord got a new one and paid the guys, raking in a bill of 58k. each flat was levied 4k. that means, we will give the landlord a total sum of 20k, and he covered the rest.

What type of pumping machine is that?. Keep me updated to avoid been looted. I am here to guide you. That's my business. If you know the name and the size of the pump, I will tell you the price assap.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rayblings(m): 1:26pm On Apr 04, 2018
xreal:

Is that in Nigeria?
yes Lagos
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by jnizzle(m): 1:26pm On Apr 04, 2018
To avoid this kind of wahala in my house.... The tenants have their own pumping machine.... While we the owners of the house have a different machine..... So if dey don't maintain it well Na their problem
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Boss13: 1:27pm On Apr 04, 2018
abnot:
When I was living in Scotland my landlord was responsible for replacing light bulbs, sockets and anything in particular while I was responsible for paying the agreed rent . However since I moved to Lagos my landlord has not fixed anything. I had to even replace the prepaid electricity meter when the former got spoilt. Kindly review your tenancy contract and check out if there’s any provision for responsible parties in maintaining the property.

Please let them know what is applicable abroad. It’s so unfortunate that you are now suffering the “Nigerian situation”. However, there are houses on the Island that applies the same principles like those applicable abroad. Might be wise to move into such houses to avoid complications and unbearable conditions.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reelmii: 1:29pm On Apr 04, 2018
Helpfromabove1:

You fail to see the point you mean

No LANDLORD guarantee his house , their is a difference between guarantee and tenancy

Please also note in this type of discussion if we have not heard from the other party (the landlord) it will be wise to be guarded and not jump to conclusions , for you to comment on the monthly 500 you need more information about
So let stay focus SHOULD HE PAY FOR THE REPAIR OR NOT (please note not even the money allocated )

Lastly all the three questions are examples of rental agreement
and sir, wen u used a bulb an example, the replacement of a bulb is ur reponsibility not a landlord' s, secondly the damage of gas explosion caused by a tenant, if the tenant had paid for damages before moving in, and what was damaged is between the amount paid for damages, the landlord does not need to collect extra money from the man except damages exceeds the amount then the tenant will balance up, or the damage fee covers just a couple of years and the incidence happened after the agreed year.
thirdly, the car issues, if u bash a brrowed car, and u already made some deposit which is meabt to be refundable, whatever happens to dat car the money would be used to repair the damages.
in dis case, the five hundred naira monthly shound be usex for the repair except it was used for something else. which must also be important
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Housing(m): 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2018
Is it a serviced flat, if not the tenants should coordinates themselves and fixed or replace the pumping machine. A new pumping machine can not cost 25flats more than 1k each. The last price I bought a submersible pumping machine was 14k even with inflation. It can not be more than 20k. If is a serviced flat maintenance and repair will be done from the service fees being paid. If not the tenants should stop doing big men and coordinates themselves better.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by LKO(m): 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2018
sekundosekundo:

What type of pump did you guys buy for almost 20k, is it surface or submersible?. Pls tell me let me expose that plumber to avoid further looting cheesy.
That's my business grin

Just tell me the name and the size of the pumping machine. I am sure the plumber must have looted you guys.

Based on the plumber recommendation, we bought Atlas pumping machine, 1HP, 16k, he fixed the machine and helped us maintained some leaking tap and pipes in the compound for 3k. Total is 19K. DAB pumping machine 1HP is 25K. Original DAB 1HP made in Hungary is 32K. But the plumber said the Atlas would serve us well. We three tenants paid 4K each while our Landlord paid 7K making a total of 19K.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by osykull22(m): 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2018
e don reach time wen tenants go dey wait for land lord to come clean their nyash wen dey shit finish
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by mruwaifo(m): 1:33pm On Apr 04, 2018
And while the debate of who is to pay for the water pump is ongoing; who needs the water most ?
There lies the answer .
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:34pm On Apr 04, 2018
ENEONWO:
My friend don't mind those castigating you and urging you pay. Every rent includes house maintenance fee. Maintenance charge is not same as utility charge. If before you packed in, there was water supply to the estate and you probably preferred that place because you were informed that there is water, the landlord has to keep providing it. The much you can do is to pay for fuelling the generator when there is no NEPA light. It is the landlord's responsibility to maintain his house, and its fittings. That's one of the reasons why you pay rent. If you continue to pay like that, one day, electric pole will fall and you will pay to replace it; fence will collapse and you will pay, gate will get old and you will pay. Landlord has that responsibility to provide the facilities and maintain them, while the tenant has the responsibility for settling the running cost (fuelling).

Please get inform Google the Lagos State tenancy law and read it
Stop ignorantly giving him and other wrong advice that will create big problem, as for the gate and fence you mentioned if it collapsed due to natural disasters, wear and tear, low quality material e.t.c the landlord is liable , BUT IF IT COLLAPSED DUE TO HIS DIRECT ACTION eg: knock it with his car or the car of his friends e.t.c he is liable
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Boss13: 1:35pm On Apr 04, 2018
From the comment I have been reading, this seems like an interesting thread. It appears a lot of people are suffering from the Tenancy lease as a result of not reading their Tenancy agreement

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by chloride6: 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
I'll check it when I get home.

MODIFIED: Every flat pays 500 Naira each monthly . There are about 25-30 flats in the compound. The land accomodates two buildings (2 storey buildings each), when I asked I was told the 500 Naira is for water maintenance so why then should I contribute 2,500 Naira again.

Note: we use post paid meter and we have regular electricity, in fact power goes off for just 30 mins in a week so the N500 is not for fueling any generator or for prepaid meter

Which area you dey live abeg? you see house for london you dey complain grin grin grin grin
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by philkay(m): 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
On Sunday, 1 April 2018. A meeting was organized by the landlord of the house where I live. He mandated us (each tenants) to contribute 2,500 Naira for the repairs of the damaged machine.

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here.

NOTE: this is not the first time we would be contributing money to fix one thing or the other, pumping machine today, tomorrow it would be transformer issue..

And I PAY MONTHLY FOR OUR BOREHOLE WATER oo

The first that determines who pays is the agreement executed between you and the agreement.

Where there is none to that effect, the next thing is the landlord and tenancy law of that state.

In respective of those aforementioned, it both the landlord and tenancy that have the obligations to repair if the landlord lives in the house, where the landlord doesn't lives in the house it is the sole responsibility of the tenants
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by sekundosekundo: 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2018
LKO:

Based on the plumber recommendation, we bought Atlas pumping machine, 1HP, 16k, he fixed the machine and helped us maintained some leaking tap and pipes in the compound for 3k. Total is 19K. DAB pumping machine 1HP is 25K. Original DAB 1HP made in Hungary is 32K. But the plumber said the Atlas would serve us well. We three tenants paid 4K each while our Landlord paid 7K making a total of 19K.

Atlas 1HP, we will sell it to you at 13k. Copper coil.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2018
Boss13:

I will try to answer your question without expressing arrogance. However, before I proceed, I think I have stated in a previous comment that it is important to read agreements before signing. If your Tenancy agreement stipulates certain conditions, you are obligated to comply with such agreement. Our argument on this thread is based on situations where there are no stipulated obligations between Landlord and Tenants and that area is blurred. In that circumstances, I shall proceed to answer your question

Question 1 - In some houses, I don’t know the one you live in, before you open the light bulb casing, you must inform the Landlord or Estate management Company or their representatives. In fact, a mere escalation of the damage prompts them to send their service/maintenance manager to resolve or replace the light bulb. I know in the average houses in Nigeria, the tenant replaces the bulb. In fact, the tenant don’t even get to meet a bulb in the house before he/she occupies the house. So they buy a new one and replace them when damaged.

Question 2 - Have you ever heard of Building insurance before? The Landlord is responsible to take our insurance for his/her building to mitigate these kind of risk. Also, have you ever heard of Tenancy/Content Insurance before? The Tenant is expected to take our an insurance to protect them of their own content (that is their own property). Some Landlords won’t rent or lease out to you if you don’t have this insurance. Some many ignore it. However, I know many houses, especially on the mainland don’t even have insurance and don’t encourage their tenant to have one. In fact, insurance is weird thing in Nigeria.

Question 3 is a useless question, out of context and unrelated to the main topic. Nonetheless, to answer this useless question of yours - if the building has a comprehensive insurance, the insurance company will cater for incident cause by 3rd parties. However, if this is not cover, the perpetrator should repair the fence.

I have onced lived in a house with a bad landlord and Shitty lease agreement. After our toxic relationship, which I made sure he suffered equally like he made me suffer, I promised myself never to ignore things. Read your lease agreement and where you are not clear, draw the attention of your landlord or their representatives to such matter. Also, know your rights and if you are not clear about your Tenancy rights, ask your lawyer.

Thanks for your response, an aware of all you talked about but more importantly am also aware of the place in question is a part of Nigeria or probably Lagos and Europe or other advance countries one day we get there

May I let you know even when you fail to sign a tenancy agreement you are guarded by the Lagos State tenancy law (please read it up)
You will understand the position of the law as regards the question at hand and also not he does not pay for service charge

And for the various insurance you mentioned, even if the landlord have all the insurance in-law which is not common in Nigeria due to various facts raging from Nigeria's insurance company to we Nigerian ,that does not still indemnity the tenant of damages due negligence , the insurance company with come for him
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by rajiraymond(m): 2:00pm On Apr 04, 2018
chinebu:
Why not insist That Landlord must pay for your electricity bills aswell.
You are Even lucky theres borehole in the HOUSE where you live. What if theres none wont you source for Water elsewhere with your money probably. So why is it so jard for you to accept That its your responsibility to contribute abd fix the sumor used in pumping yhe Water That you always use in your flat. Shm things some Nigerians do. Tomorrow when you become Landlord and maybe collected 250000as rent in your flat then you will keep the money for repairing the tenants sumor and transformer and maybe their children school fees so That in the end you will use up all their rent in fixing utility bills for them and you go empty handed ok. I rest My case

So, the #500 monthly water maintenance is for what?

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by LKO(m): 2:06pm On Apr 04, 2018
sekundosekundo:

Atlas 1HP, we will sell it to you at 13k. Copper coil.

Bros prices depends on your location. We bought ours from one of the major dealers in my area, small shops buy their goods from him. The Atlas we bought for 16K is being sold for 17K and 18K in other shops in my areas. So consider your location.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Reference(m): 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2018
Buy a pump for yourself and instal it. It is your property and an asset. When you eventually leave, take it with you. You lose nothing. They lose. There is nothing like liberty and it is something I always crave for.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by 1kinggy(m): 2:27pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
On Sunday, 1 April 2018. A meeting was organized by the landlord of the house where I live. He mandated us (each tenants) to contribute 2,500 Naira for the repairs of the damaged machine.

I'm hell-bent on not contributing a dime because it's the responsibility of the landlord to fix anything that concerns the house. I stand to be corrected and will change my mind if I am wrong hence, the reason for seeking opinions here.

NOTE: this is not the first time we would be contributing money to fix one thing or the other, pumping machine today, tomorrow it would be transformer issue..

And I PAY MONTHLY FOR OUR BOREHOLE WATER oo

If you pay monthly subscription for borehole water, you don't have to pay for its maintenance.

But the terms of your agreement is the best judge.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by OShepherd: 2:30pm On Apr 04, 2018
LKO:

When your septic tank get filled tomorrow, you would also insist that the landlord should bear the cost of evacuation himself. Some tenants are troublesome. Assuming your landlord don't stay in the same compound with you, you would go drag him to come fix the water pump machine? I now see why it is fashionable these days not to share your premises with tenants. Build your small house and stay in peace, then build a house elsewhere to rent out and managed by agents to avoid tenants problem,

We bought a new water pump in my compound just last month and we the three tenants paid four thousand naira each while the landlord paid a slightly higher amount, there was no quarrel.
One of our source of problems here is that contracts terms are either shrouded, hardly spelt out or twisted to suit whoever. What is d #500 meant for? Is it Electricity consumption or Maintenance? But above all, May Almighty bless our hustle. This is d best advice; talking from experiences(learn to live in peace with Ur family while Tenants live under d supervision of Agents else U may not live long!!!
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by sekundosekundo: 2:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
LKO:

Bros prices depends on your location. We bought ours from one of the major dealers in my area, small shops buy their goods from him. The Atlas we bought for 16K is being sold for 17K and 18K in other shops in my areas. So consider your location.

Well, I am talking about Lagos state. We sell at 13k and can deliver it to your doorstep at 14k.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by aniete: 3:13pm On Apr 04, 2018
It all depends on what was written in the tenancy agreement.
In some cases, the landlord is responsible for supplying water to the entire facility and if the pump develops a fault, he can fix it (some tenants may appreciate by giving whatever they have).

#from experience.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by okanlaroyal: 3:14pm On Apr 04, 2018
Am an Estate management and valuation student..
if your rent is Gross Annual value your lanlord is responsible but if It's Net Annual value the tenant responsible for the repairs and other expenses..
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Chukazu: 3:32pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
I'll check it when I get home.

MODIFIED: Every flat pays 500 Naira each monthly . There are about 25-30 flats in the compound. The land accomodates two buildings (2 storey buildings each), when I asked I was told the 500 Naira is for water maintenance so why then should I contribute 2,500 Naira again.

Note: we use post paid meter and we have regular electricity, in fact power goes off for just 30 mins in a week so the N500 is not for fueling any generator or for prepaid meter

The amount is rather high though ...how much is new pumping Machine and how many are you in the House?

If the Landlord lives in the same building he should as we contribute to any monetary issue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos From The Building Collapse In Lekki, Lagos This Morning / Window Blinds At Affordable Prices / CONTACT ME FOR A NICE BUILDING DESIGNS AT AFFORDABLE RATE....... 09039590798

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.