Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (34662 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nasir123(m): 3:34pm On Apr 04, 2018
aieromon:

This is strange. If you really pay to have access to water in your apartment,then it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix the water pump as it is now a money generating business venture.
I also assume that the landlord sells water to outsiders as well.

Any money you pay towards the repair should be deducted from future monthly payments.

Best comment so far.

The rest are just nagging.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Countersam(m): 3:35pm On Apr 04, 2018
Some people self, you dont expect your landlord to repair pumping machine for u.
If tenants vex and refuse to pay,landlord vex too lockup who will suffer?

When you patronise "meruwa" for one month you will see things differently.

You want to trade your comfort becaue of 2500?
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by abnot: 3:47pm On Apr 04, 2018
Boss13:

Please let them know what is applicable abroad. It’s so unfortunate that you are now suffering the “Nigerian situation”. However, there are houses on the Island that applies the same principles like those applicable abroad. Might be wise to move into such houses to avoid complications and unbearable conditions.

I stay on the island (Lekki 1) where I thought I'd get something similar but man Africa remains Africa. Even most of what they call serviced apartments here in Lagos are more like unfurnished apartments in UK , Us, Canada and many more. I once rented an unfurnished apartment in scotland and it came with a two door fridge, cooker, extractor, heaters , washing machine, dryer and a prepaid gas/electricity meter. I later moved to a furnished apartment that had even sppons, cups, plates, internet, Tv, bedding, iron............... But in my home country what they call serviced apartment doesn't even come with a bed or sofa. Except may be the ones in Ikoyi have but they are way above my budget so I haven't looked them up

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by bekpo(m): 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2018
rayblings:
funnily enough, he gives water to outsiders for free. His house is the most expensive in the area so people living in his house are considered rich hence we should should solely take care of the expenses

My friend, if u had known his house is d most expensive why did u patronized him. U should have look for a less expensive apartment. U want to b address as on who live in d most expensive apartment but u don't want to carry d responsibility that comes with it. I have not head u say u had paid for service charge yet he asked u to contribute. Service charge is a percentage of the annual rent payable by tenants at d beginning of d tenancy. Service charge is used by landlord to pay for security, utility bills, NEPA bills, water bills, security bills, dust bin, evacuation of the soccer well, fixing of the water pump, disel and or fuel, or fixing d gen. If u did not pay, be ready to pay for it and or pack out.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Kizyte(m): 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2018
Reelmii:
and nobody likes a landlord like u who would leave his house half backed and wait for tenants to do his job for him
If you're living in someone's house, learn to be careful with the amenities in the house, and when you damage one, fix it yourself so that when God provides you with your own house, no one will destroy it for you.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by EMMYNENTLY: 3:56pm On Apr 04, 2018
Light goes off 30 mins a week... shocked

Please where do you live?
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by friendlyenemy: 4:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
Come along and click the signature if you wanna get first class free tutorials and tools that matches all kind of hustle..... If you know you know.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by adaxxy: 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2018
The moment you take possession of the house in good shape..
You are responsible for anything that gets spoilt after that...
So therefore you are to repair any damages ..
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by periphetes: 5:09pm On Apr 04, 2018
Op, this simple go read your agreement letter. if no clause stating about contribution for repairs or replacement of amenities. Then Simple lock up, don't contribute be the odd man out of other tenants that have contributed.

Final advice : whenever your rent expires, hmnn don't wait, just respect yourself and move out to another apartment. Or else grin grin grin
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by okenwa101(m): 5:50pm On Apr 04, 2018
Offpoint:
Na landlord spoil am abi na una tenant spoil am? if you no contribute take repair am na dey landlord go suffer abi na una tenant? if landlord repair am come increase house rent you go come create another thread.

God give us common sense for a reaaon

WE ARE THE ARCHITECT OF OUR PROBLEMS.
WE OUGHT TO ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE, CONCLUSION.

NOTE: TENANTS PAY RENTS UPFRONT (INCLUDING FACILITIES IF STATED) QUESTION IS; IS THERE ANY DISCOUNT FOR PAYING UPFRONT??

meanwhile landlords after collecting the cash (rent) they will act deaf ears afterall rent has been paid

LETS BE WISE

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by nuelyoyo(m): 5:52pm On Apr 04, 2018
mikebrown92:

That payment is used to refuel the generator to pump water for the whole house.

Its best for you to pay as the maintenance is on all of you.
learn to read broadly before commenting, it would help you make wise comments. Each peculiar situation has a way of handling it. The OP who is the tenant here clearly stated that there are about 25 to 30 flats and they all pay for water maintenance every month. That amounts to 12500 to 15000 naira monthly and about 150k to 180k yearly. He also said they enjoy constant electricity, so your talk that the maintenance money is for fueling cannot stand. And I want to believe that the rent the tenants pay was arrived at because there is water in the house, I know this because houses without water command lower rent while houses with water commands higher rent. If then the landlord has infused the cost of providing water in the rent he charges, why charge them again monthly, if u want to charge them for pumping of water in case there is no NEPA light, then the charges should reflect how frequent generator is used in pumping water, but in this case the OP has said they enjoy good electricity supply, so in my opinion the landlord is not supposed to charge more than 200 per month for pumping since he hardly even pump with generator. If the money is to offset NEPA bill as a result of pumping with NEPA light, then he should get a separate meter connected to the pump, then tell the tenants to fund the recharge of the prepaid meter for the pumping, this they would do coz it is transparent. From what the OP has described, the landlord is clearly making money off his tenants every month, now that the responsibility for which he collects money is staring at him, he wants to dodge it. The landlord is greedy and also a bully.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Kobicove(m): 5:53pm On Apr 04, 2018
goodvision12:
Pls i need your advice.what can i do each time my landlord comes around to threaten me with eviction from the premises even though i pay my rents daily?I need a lawyer as a friend.

You pay rent daily?

Here in Nigeria? shocked
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by goodvision12(m): 5:58pm On Apr 04, 2018
Kobicove:

You pay rent daily?

Here in Nigeria? shocked
pls pardon my error of expression,i pay monthly.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by nuelyoyo(m): 6:03pm On Apr 04, 2018
bekpo:

My friend, if u had known his house is d most expensive why did u patronized him. U should have look for a less expensive apartment. U want to b address as on who live in d most expensive apartment but u don't want to carry d responsibility that comes with it. I have not head u say u had paid for service charge yet he asked u to contribute. Service charge is a percentage of the annual rent payable by tenants at d beginning of d tenancy. Service charge is used by landlord to pay for security, utility bills, NEPA bills, water bills, security bills, dust bin, evacuation of the soccer well, fixing of the water pump, disel and or fuel, or fixing d gen. If u did not pay, be ready to pay for it and or pack out.
lol, in the example u painted above, after paying for annual service charge landlords don't resort to tasking tenants for repairs, that is what the service charge is meant for. And in this case the landlord collects monthly service charge specifically for water maintenance. So now that the water pump is faulty, is the service charge he has been collecting not supposed to be used in fixing it? Why tell them to be responsible for the fixing?

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by chinebu(m): 8:20pm On Apr 04, 2018
masterpix:

what are saying if you don't meaningful things to contribute keep calm which flat does not come with boreholes as for the issue raised by op is the duties of the landlord to maintain his house

Its very clear you find it difficult to comprehend. You should learn to respond accordingly to issues ok. Learn some manners boy
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by bekpo(m): 9:10pm On Apr 04, 2018
[quote author=nuelyoyo post=66432498]lol, in the example u painted above, after paying for annual service charge landlords don't resort to tasking tenants for repairs, that is what the service charge is meant for. And in this case the landlord collects monthly service charge specifically for water maintenance. So now that the water pump is faulty, is the service charge he has been collecting not supposed to be used in fixing it? Why tell them to be responsible for the fixing? [/quote

pls, read his post wid understanding, he never mentioned that they paid annual service charge, that's ur imputation. No landlord will collect annual service charge from tenants and subsequently come cap in hand demanding again for service charge. If u do not understand what service charge is, asked those that leave in Abj particularly central business district, Asokoro, Wuse etc. go build ur own house and condon tenants to treat u same way.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by bekpo(m): 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2018
[quote author=nuelyoyo post=66432498]lol, in the example u painted above, after paying for annual service charge landlords don't resort to tasking tenants for repairs, that is what the service charge is meant for. And in this case the landlord collects monthly service charge specifically for water maintenance. So now that the water pump is faulty, is the service charge he has been collecting not supposed to be used in fixing it? Why tell them to be responsible for the fixing? [/quote

Pls, read his post wid understanding, he never mentioned that they paid annual service charge, that's ur imputation. No landlord will collect annual service charge from tenants and subsequently come cap in hand demanding again for service charge. If u do not understand what service charge is, asked those that leave in Abj particularly central business district, Asokoro, Wuse etc. go build ur own house and allow tenants to treat u same way.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by nuelyoyo(m): 10:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
[quote author=bekpo post=66437085][/quote]wether he collects it monthly or yearly, the fact is that he collects money from his tenants specifically for water maintenance, why are u ignoring that fact, or didn't u read it in the OP's post. What I did in my post was to give a yearly estimate of what the landlord collects monthly. I hate landlords that exploit their tenants.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by bekpo(m): 10:57pm On Apr 04, 2018
nuelyoyo:
lol, in the example u painted above, after paying for annual service charge landlords don't resort to tasking tenants for repairs, that is what the service charge is meant for. And in this case the landlord collects monthly service charge specifically for water maintenance. So now that the water pump is faulty, is the service charge he has been collecting not supposed to be used in fixing it? Why tell them to be responsible for the fixing?

Always read a post with understanding, he never said they paid service charge annually. If u do not understand d meaning of service charge, ask residence of Abj, particularly Asokoro, Wuse, Central business district etc. service charge is always 5% or 10% of the annual rent.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nobody: 12:14am On Apr 05, 2018
Reelmii:
bros ur head is there, God will bless u and me with our own house, and he will give us the grace not to extort money from people like some stupid once

Amen my brother. May God bless us abundantly.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by ice4u999(m): 1:00am On Apr 05, 2018
Nasir123:

Best comment so far.

The rest are just nagging.
j
My please try the above with a landlord in Lagos. Then come back and tell us the outcome
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by ice4u999(m): 1:02am On Apr 05, 2018
EMMYNENTLY:
Light goes off 30 mins a week... shocked

Please where do you live?

I was about asking the same question. I am currently looking for a place like that.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Nasir123(m): 6:43am On Apr 05, 2018
ice4u999:
j
My please try the above with a landlord in Lagos. Then come back and tell us the outcome

Its not about a try with Lagos landlord.
Setting things has to been done right.
Its like saying u pay ur NEPA bill,then u have issues with your transformer,only for NEPA to request u pay for repair. Because its done shouldn't justify its to be right.

U collect money for water from ur own tenants (business),a borehole for that matter,and u still want them to pay u when ur pumping machine got bad? Common!
Havent said that. A tenants so desire can assist in fixing it. Which i believe some tenant will.
Certain things has to be done right. Besides not all landlord are like that. For I'm also a tenant.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by laudate: 7:14am On Apr 05, 2018
Boss13:
The Landlord is responsible for all repairs and maintenance because he/she owns the asset and enjoys benefits in the form of rent from the usage of the asset and in order to continue to enjoy this benefit, he/she must ensure the asset is in good form.

However, you must review the tenancy agreement you have with your landlord or estate management company. If the contract stipulates that repairs and maintenance would be undertaken by the Tenant, then you may have to contribute. If there is no such condition in the agreement, the Landlord would be responsible for such repairs.

On the other hand and because many Landlords in Nigeria are ill exposed and vindictive, you may consider contributing to avoid future problems which may result to termination of the contract at a point you may be at a disadvantage position.

I am giving you this advice based on what is expected and what is practically obtainable and what I have experienced. I remember my bachelorhood, when I was residing on the mainland, my Landlord insisted I pay N4,000 per month as PHCN. I was paying for his power consumption and mine and there was even change. He never issued me any receipt. I discovered this after my investigation, and after paying for 3 years. I went to PHCN and they were shocked. I saw the monthly consumption and payment. I confronted him and that was the genesis of our very toxic relationship till I relocated to the island.

On the island, the estate management company is responsible for all repairs and maintenance even down to my doorknob. Any issue, I escalate and they fix it. However, if there is any delay and I can no longer wait, I can proceed to fix it, send the receipt to them and deduct it from my rent.

Hope you are able to note the difference.

First of all, how much do you pay as annual rent on the Island? Let us compare it with what you used to pay on the mainland. sad It is most likely to be much higher, and it is also obvious that a service charge has been bundled into your annual rent on the Island, which is why you can enjoy such prompt repair and maintenance services, at no additional cost.

The most sensible thing to do while you were still living on the mainland, would have been to acquire a pre-paid meter for yourself, after discovering your landlord's duplicity, in order to be able to monitor your power consumption and utility bills. undecided It would have prevented any toxic relationship between both of you.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by EMMYNENTLY: 8:55am On Apr 08, 2018
ice4u999:

I was about asking the same question. I am currently looking for a place like that.
Asin ehn shocked
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by olowo1930: 9:25am On Aug 17, 2018
It is not bad for one to contribute to the progress his rented apartment, the house rent is a p
en nut to cost of building, we need to understand our self ,so that development and peace can reign in our area. You have to pay for any sharing fees that is needed for the progress and internal peace with your co tenants
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by EWATERS(m): 10:02am On Sep 26, 2018
Our own case is different here, in my compound, our water is bad it use to be a bore hole and when i asked the landlord he told me that the color of the water will clear after we start using the water, but after two months i packed in the water still remain thesame, you can not use the water for any thing. we went back to him and he told us that we should know that the area is a swap area and we should not expect him to get a clean water. after five months he tolds that all the tenants should contribute money for him to dig a nother bore hole outside the compound and that he is not going to deduct the money from our next rent and we all disagree with him. after two days he told us that he has done a well and that any body who refused to pay for the water that he will block his water and as at today he has blocked our water supply only his flat has water in the whole building.
my question now is are we the tenants supos to pay for digging of the well? we are just 5 months old in his house?
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by generator404(f): 8:45am On Dec 03, 2018
It seems like there is a very good power supply in your location. If you do not need additional generator for power supply, then you can save a lot of money at buying oil and diesel. In my country, the price of electricity is cheap but the water is expensive.

I believe that most countires have high water fee because it lacks of water all around the world.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by excel101(m): 10:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
This man is seeking for our advice and we should stop calling him names, rather we should tell him or advice him from experience. If he knows all he won't be here.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Shampoo77: 8:32pm On Jan 15, 2019
For living in a compound that has 25-30 Tennant something muste wrong with you. My advice is that you should pack out as soon as possible if you don't want your landlord to use your head and sweat to build another 25-30 flats.
Re: Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? by Slycomm: 9:55am On Sep 07, 2021
All these people supporting tenant contributing in fixing the utilities in the house such as NEPA wire and pumping machine, people like you are the reason why this country will never move forward.
When you pack into face me I face you, you pay less money because you expect less, that is why your wife still carries buckets on her head to fetch water. But when you packed into a safe contain, mini flat, two bedroom flat etc. You pay more to be comfortable and when you are moving in the statement was that you will have steady water and light. On the other hand I believe that is my right to fix everything in my room such as tap, socket , lamp holders etc. I never signed any documents stating that I will be contributing money for any fixing .
Don't come here and be saying rubbish because your father is a useless, stingy and money squandering landlord.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Properties With C Of O For Sale in Ibadan, Lagos & Other Parts of Nigeria / NURTW Office Collapses In Ibadan As Taofeek Oyerinde Escapes Tragedy / CONTACT ME FOR A NICE BUILDING DESIGNS AT AFFORDABLE RATE....... 09039590798

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.