Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,123 members, 7,821,847 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (14687 Views)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? / Babalawos And Mamalawos In Lagos. / ~'Christians' Who Attend Church And Consult Babalawos At The Same Time. . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by jokingmary(m): 4:35pm On May 17, 2010
next page pls
odiaero:

*****just passing by*****

watch out for that stone
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by wudd: 4:47pm On May 17, 2010
@ bee, er, what do igbo movies promote? , i know of cultism,, er, em, what is the other one oh, chai, help me remember,

look seriously, this isnt an issue, if you dont like it, dont buy/watch it, funny enuff, they are mad interesting., atleast you learn one of two lessons about life,  wink.

bee444:

Don't know the difference btw a C&S Church and a Babalawo; think they work hand-in-hand. They both give something (soap, powder, sponge etc) in return for deliverance.

Since the Yoruba's tend to be more traditional rather than follow Jesus's teaching, then let them still be and leave Jesus completely out of their movies!

seriously, is Jesus complaining? , all those movies opens your eyes to this: fine, there is the power of darkness, but there is also a greater power which is Jesus, its just like in the igbo films where you see a guy in a cult and then he denounces and he is being hunted, then a pastor prays and he is free, whats the difference, or are you saying the igbos should stick with their cult and leave Jesus out of it.

and the fact of comparing C&S to babalawo, stop judging, there are so many perspectives to the body of christ., and when you give oil etc in penticostal, whats the difference?, who even told you your mode of worship is right?, you only believe its right. they also believe its right, Let God do the changing in our hearts and stop bothering yourself with what others are doing that you think is wrong.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by exago(m): 4:57pm On May 17, 2010
Just tied of seeing our young men waste . . . life . . talent . . time

How Can I know Christ?

Salvation is deliverance from spiritual death and enslavement by sin. God provides salvation for all who believe and accept His free offer of forgiveness. Mankind’s only hope of redemption from the fallen sinful state is through the blood of Jesus Christ, God’s Son–blood that was shed as Jesus died on the cross.

Choosing your place in eternity — it’s up to you!

The door is open … but walking through it is a personal choice. To ignore the open door, or to procrastinate, may not seem all that significant today. But on that future day, it will surpass all the other decisions we’ve ever made in our whole lives.

If you haven’t yet begun a relationship with God, here’s what you need to do:

A—Admit that all is not well between you and God. Not that you’re necessarily a bad person, but still … His standards are higher than you can reach. As the Bible says with some bluntness, “There is no difference…. All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:22-23).

B—Believe that there’s still a chance to remedy this situation, however, thanks to the generous sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. He took the punishment we deserved. He stepped up on our behalf. “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly…. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 5:6 and 6:23).

C—Call out to the Lord for his forgiveness and acceptance. Tell Him honestly that you want to be changed on the inside. Ask Him to adopt you as one of His special children. He won’t brush you off. He will welcome you. In the words of the ancient prophet Joel, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Joel 2:32, Romans 10:13).

You can talk to God about this anytime, anywhere, using any words you wish. You don’t have to come up with a formal speech. Just be honest and tell God the essence of the A-B-C points above.

If you feel uneasy, here’s a short prayer you can say:

Dear God, I’d like to make things right with You. I admit I haven’t always lived the way I should and I’ve broken Your rules. I ask for Your forgiveness of my sins. Based on what Jesus did on my behalf, please accept me as one of Your children. I recognize you as the new Authority of my life, and I’ll do my best to follow Your direction. Be merciful to me, O God.
Amen.

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 5:10pm On May 17, 2010
Bee444,
A lot of peeps have cursed you over this title!
I guess it was undeserved though the title was "so sweeping" that people might take offense!

Now since you asked a question and l believe you did so with an open mind, not to ridicule a nationality, l will try to chip-in my own opinion, as l see it.

First, movies are mostly fiction but where they are not, they may be from a historical perspective.

"Babalawo" are as much of the Yoruba race just as "Dibia" are as much a part of the Igbo race

Now the phrase "Babalawo" has been used and given a "negative connotation" but in the real sense, as it was in the days of old, they are NATIVE PHYSICIANS, no more, no less.

Dont forget, it is very easy for people to disparage or ridicule that which they dont understand!

Before Christianity came to our land, we sure NEED/HAVE a way of solving our problems, dont we?

The Isrealites of Biblical days had Moses (what more can a Babalawo do than conjure up one snake that swallowed the Egyptian Snakes, point his "magic rod' and the red sea separates into two  smiley, or make a pronunciation and ALL his dissenters get swallowed in an earthquake?)

The word "Babalawo" is a Title given to people who the community believes can help them solve issues/problems that they have, especially when their level of comprehension is a long distance, to what he does or how he does it! To them, its like Magic!! (ignore the dupe-sters in Lagos for now)

I suspect you're a Christian, so l will use a lot of Christian analogy.
Remember when Joshua asked the SUN to stand still, so his army can finish their enemies? If some one did that today, wont we be right to call him a Babalawo, if the person is from the Yoruba race or an Igbo Dibia?

In the sense of doing or accomplishing that which seems ordinarily impossible, anyone could become or be tagged a Babalawo

God has "His ways" of passing knowledge to humans: Some Prophets dream( Joseph, Samuel), Some He speaks to directly (Moses, Jesus, Apostles), some He bestows with knowledge, to sort humans out. In some sense they are all "solution providers"
And if l were not informed, l simply tag them as Babalawos shocked

Even the "Whites" that gave us Christianity, have their own "Babalawo": people like Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Archimedes, e.t.c [/b]who invented what we are benefiting from, today! Electricity, Automobile, Carrier Ships, Telephone, Jet Planes, T.V and Computers, to mentiona few.
Funny thing is that in their days, some of them were persecuted, branded heretics (another derogatory term for Babalawo) and even killed by ignoramus like me and you with a lower faculty of reasoning and understanding compared to them!

Now, Yoruba films tries to reflect the Yoruba culture, among other things. [b]It tries to revive the Yoruba prowess of old
For example, if you watch the film: Sango, it tries to portray a Yoruba deity that was very powerful as to command Thunder and lightning  and if you notice, our NEPA uses it as its symbol! (Guess thats why we dont have light, Sango has used-up all the electricity grin )

Now, dont make the mistake of thinking that "People that cherish their culture and traditions are not Godly"

Even in the Bible, God admonished the Isrealites not to mingle with the "heathens" so that they dont dilute their culture and traditions! HE even asked them not to marry from amongst the strangers! So, preserving one's culture is Godly, albeit the good part!

If you dont know who you are and where you came from, How can you know where you're going?

Again, dont fall into the trap that christian faith and culture are diametrically opposed!
Culture simply guided the people's way of life before Christianity came, just like the "Old Testament" guided the people before the "New Testament" came and you cant tell me that Apostle Paul is more acceptable than Abraham, the father of faith!

There are wrong things happening in Christianity today but that does not make everything about Christianity bad.
Same way, there are bad things that happened in Culture/Traditions in those days but that does not make the whole thing bad.

Finally, l can understand that we should not promote primitive/bad ideas of our culture (If thats your grouse).
As Christians for example, we cannot be promoting the despoliation of our enemies, as was the case in the days of the "Biblical Kings".

Same goes with our traditions and cultures, some Yoruba films cannot continue to glorify and amplify issues like "child sacrifice", evil permutations and what have you. These are not unique to Yoruba films after all, American films promote homosexuality, drug use, gun crime, e.t.c

I guess you will agree it is better to promote the good aspect of "Babalawo" (or you just detest them completely?! grin ).
Believe me, they have good sides, have saved millions of lives in the days when modern medicine was nowhere to be found and pestilence decimated the population.

Please fell free to "change channel" if you encounter an offensive depiction of a Babalawo

BTW: Do you now that there is a plant which "babalawo" uses to cure skin rashes? And he just squeezes the plant juice and rubs it on your kin and it would clear up  (No anti-biotic, no carcinogenic creams containing mercury et all!).
Do you also know there is another "Babalawo method" that can cure migraine headache, jut by saying a few "words" with the sufferer's head placed against a wall? No tablets/capsule, no side effects, no cost  grin I know it sound unbelievable.
Now, that is "good babalawo" we should be promoting. Its real, believe me.

Cheers and love to ALL who can appreciate the good in our culture/traditions and do away with the bad side.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by BrOwnSuga3: 5:12pm On May 17, 2010
Simple

Yoruba without babalawo is Yorubaless

they cannot do without juju, even when they are holdin  special positions in churches they still keep small juju or build shrine as spare tire

those people are so damn fetishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oya attack
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 5:32pm On May 17, 2010
BrownSuga,
no one is going to "Attack you"! For what? Just for stating your opinion? Naaah

Its a discussion forum, not a ring fight grin

BTW: What exactly do you consider as "juju"? I mean in your own understanding?

Maybe if we exchange ideas on this, we might get ourselves more understanding of our different perspectives, without the fight.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by BrOwnSuga3: 5:36pm On May 17, 2010
thats what they do here on NL, when you try to make your point they'l start firin at you

so me self i don load my AK59 for grand lol
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ziga: 5:40pm On May 17, 2010
lastpage:

BrownSuga,
no one is going to "Attack you"! For what? Just for stating your opinion? Naaah

Its a discussion forum, not a ring fight grin

Maybe if we exchange ideas on this, we might get ourselves more understanding of our different perspectives, without the fight.

About brownsuga. . . He asked for people to attack him because he knows that what he said deserves to be attacked.

We may deny all we want, our culture still remains with us, and it is even reflected in the way we  worshipp.

Please compare christianity in Africa with christianity in some western countries. It is our identity, and if some people choose to make movies about it. . . fine. As long as they are not forcing their religion on you.

And like i said earlier, for anybody who has an issue with the babalawo movies, please stop watching it.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ziga: 5:43pm On May 17, 2010
BrOwn*Suga:

Simple

they cannot do without juju, even when they are holdin  special positions in churches they still keep small juju or build shrine as spare tire

oya attack
BrOwn*Suga:

thats what they do here on NL, when you try to make your point they'l start firin at you

so me self i don load my AK59 for grand lol

@brownsuga

The bolded statement deserves attack from people. You have generalized without reason. But i will not go that route with you.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 5:45pm On May 17, 2010
@Ziga
But i will not go that route with you.

Thank you Ziga, such is the spirit! kiss

BrowSuga, u did not answer/ respond to my question o?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ziga: 5:46pm On May 17, 2010
lastpage:

Bee444,
I guess it was undeserved though the title was "so sweeping" that people might take offense!

Now since you asked a question and l believe you did so with an open mind, not to ridicule a nationality, l will try to chip-in my own opinion, as l see it.

First, movies are mostly fiction but where they are not, they may be from a historical perspective.

"Babalawo" are as much of the Yoruba race just as "Dibia" are as much a part of the Igbo race

Now the phrase "Babalawo" has been used and given a "negative connotation" but in the real sense, as it was in the days of old, they are NATIVE PHYSICIANS, no more, no less.

Dont forget, it is very easy for people to disparage or ridicule that which they dont understand!

Before Christianity came to our land, we sure NEED/HAVE a way of solving our problems, dont we?

The Isrealites of Biblical days had Moses (what more can a Babalawo do than conjure up one snake that swallowed the Egyptian Snakes, point his "magic rod' and the red sea separates into two  smiley, or make a pronunciation and ALL his dissenters get swallowed in an earthquake?)

The word "Babalawo" is a Title given to people who the community believes can help them solve issues/problems that they have, especially when their level of comprehension is a long distance, to what he does or how he does it! To them, its like Magic!! (ignore the dupe-sters in Lagos for now)

Remember when Joshua asked the SUN to stand still, so his army can finish their enemies? If some one did that today, wont we be right to call him a Babalawo, if the person is from the Yoruba race or an Igbo Dibia?

In the sense of doing or accomplishing that which seems ordinarily impossible, anyone could become or be tagged a Babalawo

God has "His ways" of passing knowledge to humans: Some Prophets dream( Joseph, Samuel), Some He speaks to directly (Moses, Jesus, Apostles), some He bestows with knowledge, to sort humans out. In some sense they are all "solution providers"

Even the "Whites" that gave us Christianity, have their own "Babalawo": people like Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Archimedes, e.t.c [/b]who invented what we are benefiting from, today! Electricity, Automobile, Carrier Ships, Telephone, Jet Planes, T.V and Computers, to mentiona few.
Funny thing is that in their days, some of them were persecuted, branded heretics (another derogatory term for Babalawo) and even killed by ignoramus like me and you with a lower faculty of reasoning and understanding compared to them!

Now, Yoruba films tries to reflect the Yoruba culture, among other things. [b]It tries to revive the Yoruba prowess of old
For example, if you watch the film: Sango, it tries to portray a Yoruba deity that was very powerful as to command Thunder and lightning  and if you notice, our NEPA uses it as its symbol! (Guess thats why we dont have light, Sango has used-up all the electricity grin )

Now, dont make the mistake of thinking that "People that cherish their culture and traditions are not Godly"

Even in the Bible, God admonished the Isrealites not to mingle with the "heathens" so that they dont dilute their culture and traditions! HE even asked them not to marry from amongst the strangers! So, preserving one's culture is Godly, albeit the good part!

If you dont know who you are and where you came from, How can you know where you're going?

Again, dont fall into the trap that christian faith and culture are diametrically opposed!
Culture simply guided the people's way of life before Christianity came, just like the "Old Testament" guided the people before the "New Testament" came and you cant tell me that Apostle Paul is more acceptable than Abraham, the father of faith!

There are wrong things happening in Christianity today but that does not make everything about Christianity bad.
Same way, there are bad things that happened in Culture/Traditions in those days but that does not make the whole thing bad.

Finally, l can understand that we should not promote primitive/bad ideas of our culture (If thats your grouse).
As Christians for example, we cannot be promoting the despoliation of our enemies, as was the case in the days of the "Biblical Kings".

Same goes with our traditions and cultures, some Yoruba films cannot continue to glorify and amplify issues like "child sacrifice", evil permutations and what have you. These are not unique to Yoruba films after all, American films promote homosexuality, drug use, gun crime, e.t.c

I guess you will agree it is better to promote the good aspect of "Babalawo" (or you just detest them completely?! grin ).
Believe me, they have good sides, have saved millions of lives in the days when modern medicine was nowhere to be found and pestilence decimated the population.

Please fell free to "change channel" if you encounter an offensive depiction of a Babalawo

BTW: Do you now that there is a plant which "babalawo" uses to cure skin rashes? And he just squeezes the plant juice and rubs it on your kin and it would clear up  (No anti-biotic, no carcinogenic creams containing mercury et all!).
Do you also know there is another "Babalawo method" that can cure migraine headache, jut by saying a few "words" with the sufferer's head placed against a wall? No tablets/capsule, no side effects, no cost  grin I know it sound unbelievable.

Cheers and love to ALL who can appreciate the good in our culture/traditions and do away with the bad side.

@lastpage

Excellent and open minded contribution.

We need people to open up their minds in Naija, or else we will continue to dey follow follow. And achievements can only be made from being original.

I have my sentiments about these movies too, but asking for the complete exclusion of these cultural elements will be completely fo.olish.

We can modify it in ways that it will be acceptable to the whole world and still rep our culture.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 5:56pm On May 17, 2010
I share the same sentiments with you.

I am worried that anything "originally African" seems to be labeled BAD while even worse things that were imported from Onye-beke gets the nod

Cheers bruv.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 6:06pm On May 17, 2010
BrOwn*Suga:

Simple

oya attack

I saw something that bothers me and came out here to air it. Every tribe's got its own issue, so addressing this one shouldn't be an issue. No one is saying tradition should be abolished or neglected, but the continual use of it in almost all the Yoruba movies should be limited.

English movies (Igbo films as some calls it) also do have its own flaws, but they're trying as much as they can to limit the promotion of the so-called herbalists/occults/soothsayers. I do recognize that its part of the tradition, but the rampant use of it in almost all their movies is what is pissing me off.

Don't think any tribe is immune to criticism,and yet despite these imperfections,fallibility and awareness of this failings, I now hope that we'll all begin to reflect and change the status quo rather than allow it.

Some of y'all don't even know my tribe, so stop the beef!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bilymuse: 6:07pm On May 17, 2010
@ poster
You are right, most Yoruba films are nothing more than a cheap advert for babalawo, Thanks to Yoruba movies producers, babalawo would always be in business
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by assetstrip(m): 6:12pm On May 17, 2010
to Lastpage , thanks for that very open, enlightening and patient explanation. Well done sir.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 6:15pm On May 17, 2010
^^^^^^Naaah, l am just a "young old-man like you"!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by BrOwnSuga3: 6:18pm On May 17, 2010
lastpage:

BrownSuga,

i am sorry i cannot answer that question, everybody knows what "juju" means

for yoruba  film there own church na shrine, there pastor na babalawo, so if you are possessed or have any spiritual props, they will take you to babalawo for deliverance, the few yoruba movies wey i  use MISTAKE  take watch, na so so babalawo
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 6:40pm On May 17, 2010
lastpage:

Bee444,

@lastpage

While I can not argue that you've made a very sensible case here, I still want to draw your attention to something more relevant to our generation.

I think it is fair to say were it not for that quiet moment of courage by Jesus, most of us would still be rooted and still   practising our ancient and tradition religion. But the maker of the universe has warned us to desist from the use of them.

however, I have never seen a babalawo that does 'good'. The good they think they offer people always backfires and most times leads to death. You get hooked to these people as soon as you start going to them.

Enuff said about babalawo please. Don't want to sound pro-babalawo. I just want our producers to limit the use of them, o pari.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Oba234: 6:42pm On May 17, 2010
Haba, It's just a movie o. Abeg o don't catch heart attack over yoruba movie. It aint that serious. Anyway there are good Yoruba movies, u just been watching the wrong ones. Anyway, I really don't understand where you are coming from considering the fact that the only Nigerian movies I can even bare to tolerate is Yoruba ones. I hate English movies or the typical nollywood movie. They put me to sleep everytime I try to watch.

Anyway, I will recommend some movies I liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4I37JQIRXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7f3qxDBjtU
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by TMemos: 6:44pm On May 17, 2010
Stop watching. Some people are enjoying them. Learn to tolerate dissenting views, whether religious or political. Don't generalise when making statements. Know that traditional worship is neither primitive nor uncivilised (though you may not agree with it). Accept that God has permitted all things on earth and He knows about them all and He shall be the judge (not any other person) over all.

On a parting note, which one has succeeded in keeping the society in check - Christianity/Islam or Traditional Religion? Think about it,
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 6:45pm On May 17, 2010
-
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Oba234: 7:00pm On May 17, 2010
Also, I have noticed you are a strong christian, Abeg, stick to the christian movies. Isn't it a sin to be watching worldly movies in the first place? My parents are strong christian, but you would never catch them watch any nollywood or yoruba movies except mount zion( I personally hate mount Zion), so they don't complain becaus ethey don't know what is going on. Also, why are you belittling other denominations of christianity such as Cele and the rest. This really irks me. Who told your denomination is the right one? Cele believe in what they believe because they believe it will take them to heaven, just like you believe your denomination is right. A catholic is a catholic because that is what they believe is right, a lutheran is a lutheran who because that is what they believe is right. Anglican and episcopal believe their way is the right way, so step off your high horse because the same way your are looking down at other denomination is the same way the other denomination is perceiving your denomination. How you perceive others is the same way others perceive you.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by mrgbite(m): 7:44pm On May 17, 2010
insipid and shallow thread started by a simpleton who cant even spell "foul". Go back to school dude or wtf you are,
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:53pm On May 17, 2010
@brownsuga, grin
you are the masochistic type aren't you. you love pain so much you need to get off on nairaland by asking people to attack you.

how you love the attacks, climaxing or abuses and yabbies grin grin grin grin grin grin

I know your type
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by osaxx: 8:01pm On May 17, 2010
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii dooooooooooooooooooo notttttttttttttttt knwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i do not knw
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 8:04pm On May 17, 2010
Oba234:

Also, I have noticed you are a strong christian, Abeg, stick to the christian movies. Isn't it a sin to be watching worldly movies in the first place? My parents are strong christian, but you would never catch them watch any nollywood or yoruba movies except mount zion( I personally hate mount Zion), so they don't complain becaus ethey don't know what is going on. Also, why are you belittling other denominations of christianity such as Cele and the rest. This really irks me. Who told your denomination is the right one? Cele believe in what they believe because they believe it will take them to heaven, just like you believe your denomination is right. A catholic is a catholic because that is what they believe is right, a lutheran is a lutheran who because that is what they believe is right. Anglican and episcopal believe their way is the right way, so step off your high horse because the same way your are looking down at other denomination is the same way the other denomination is perceiving your denomination. How you perceive others is the same way others perceive you.

Christianity has got nothing to do with the topic and neither do I like Mount Zion films. And who told that I am a strong Christian? Just someone that doesn't believe too much in seeking the help of a babalawo.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 8:17pm On May 17, 2010
mrgbite:

insipid and shallow thread started by a simpleton who cant even spell "foul". Go back to school dude or wtf you are,

I won't go on and trade words with you. Your bellicosity isn't for me. If you take a closer look at my first post, I clearly stated I was in a bad mood. I was in a chicken (fowl) mood when writing this topic, hence, the use of[b] fowl[/b] and not 'foul'.

Shalom!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 8:24pm On May 17, 2010
First let me sound a note of caution: If we must discuss this issue (for those that want to discuss it only) let us avoid inflammatory language, no insult to a person, tribe or nationality. We can all educate and learn from each other.
Now, back to the issue.

@Oba444
however, I have never seen a babalawo that does 'good'. The good they think they offer people always backfires and most times leads to death. You get hooked to these people as soon as you start going to them.

I appreciate your position very well. Like some will say "See no Evil, Hear no Evil"!

On the other hand, if the foundation is weak, the house built upon it is bound to crumble!

First, l asked, "what is juju"? No one has given me an explanation. I am especially interested in your own explanation, Bee444.

WHY? Reason being that the way we perceive something often affect our behavior or disposition towards it. And we can not discuss something, if we are all referring to different things!
'Juju', Occultism, 'babalawo' all mean different things o me but may mean same thing to someone else.

Caveat: I am not a "Babalawo", l am a follower of Chris'st teachings.
Having said that, except we can define cogent action-words like "babalawo" (something l have tried to explain in my earlier Post), and "Juju" we may all be speaking in different tongues!.

But generally speaking, ignorantly or not, we tend to associate "evil" with "Babalawo" and as such, l am not surprised at what you said in quote above.

But in reality, as l have shown, anyone whomsoever we do not understand their source of power, someone we are afraid of or someone that does things we cannot explain, WE can LABEL them a "Babalawo".

Remember what the Pharisees called Jesus, when they could not contend with his God given power? All sorts of derogatory names, including blasphemy, sorcerer, magician (Babalawo),!

So, i have seen so many Babalawo done very good deeds, mos  powerful among them being Christ! Yea, going by "my" definition!!

You can come-up with your own definition and lets look at the soundness of the logic behind it.
No need to get worried or overly spiritual about it, we are just "seeking knowledge" here, so that as the Bible says, "we can be set free".

"Juju" as l understand, is the "wicked use" of spiritual powers (my Def, once again!) as used by anyone, gifted with such powers.

If Jesus (due respects now) was doing evil with the power and knowledge that God gave him (instead of healing the sick, re-visiting the blind, helping the widows, e.t.c) l would be right to say he was using "Juju", i.e. using incomprehensible (to the lay-man) powers to do evil.

So, the keywords here are "doing Evil". Not the "possession o f the powers itself.

Imagine if Albert Einstein used his knowledge for Evil or Galileo? Imagine if Edison (telephone) or the Wright brothers (Aeroplane) used their knowledge to kill people instead of making life easier? Would l not be right to refer to them as "Juju men"? grin

So, no point in "giving a dog a bad name so you can hang it".

Again, those of you trying to castigate Yorubas over the phrase 'Babalawo' are just not up to it in terms of knowledge.
Would you castigate yourself (If you are Igbo) because of the phrase "[color=Black]Dibia" which is the exact word for Babalawo (Native Physician/medicine man in Igbo language!)[/color].
Again, we must note that films have to sell and it is not unusual to "exaggerate" the plot of the babalawo so that fans can buy the film.
Some even thought "Fadeyi-Oloro" was real! shocked

i would like to hear other people's opinion and definition (for educational purpose only grin )
Cheers
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 17, 2010
But in reality, as l have shown, anyone whomsoever we do not understand their source of power, someone we are afraid of or someone that does things we cannot explain, WE can LABEL them a "Babalawo".

maybe, maybe not, but the fact remains that for most ATR adherents, whenever you want to destroy someone [even if you're the aggressor], the babalawo is your first port of call.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lastpage: 8:58pm On May 17, 2010
What is ATR?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 17, 2010
african traditional religion/juju/voodoo
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 9:13pm On May 17, 2010
lastpage:

First let me sound a note of caution: If we must discuss this issue (for those that want to discuss it only) let us avoid inflammatory language, no insult to a person, tribe or nationality. We can all educate and learn from each other.
Now, back to the issue.

@Oba444
I appreciate your position very well. Like some will say "See no Evil, Hear no Evil"!

On the other hand, if the foundation is weak, the house built upon it is bound to crumble!

First, l asked, "what is juju"? No one has given me an explanation. I am especially interested in your own explanation, Bee444.

WHY? Reason being that the way we perceive something often affect our behavior or disposition towards it. And we can not discuss something, if we are all referring to different things!
'Juju', Occultism, 'babalawo' all mean different things o me but may mean same thing to someone else.

Caveat: I am not a "Babalawo", l am a follower of Chris'st teachings.
Having said that, except we can define cogent action-words like "babalawo" (something l have tried to explain in my earlier Post), and "Juju" we may all be speaking in different tongues!.

But generally speaking, ignorantly or not, we tend to associate "evil" with "Babalawo" and as such, l am not surprised at what you said in quote above.

Remember what the Pharisees called Jesus, when they could not contend with his God given power? All sorts of derogatory names, including blasphemy, sorcerer, magician (Babalawo),!

So, i have seen so many Babalawo done very good deeds, mos  powerful among them being Christ! Yea, going by "my" definition!!

You can come-up with your own definition and lets look at the soundness of the logic behind it.
No need to get worried or overly spiritual about it, we are just "seeking knowledge" here, so that as the Bible says, "we can be set free".

"Juju" as l understand, is the "wicked use" of spiritual powers (my Def, once again!) as used by anyone, gifted with such powers.

If Jesus (due respects now) was doing evil with the power and knowledge that God gave him (instead of healing the sick, re-visiting the blind, helping the widows, e.t.c) l would be right to say he was using "Juju", i.e. using incomprehensible (to the lay-man) powers to do evil.

So, the keywords here are "doing Evil". Not the "possession o f the powers itself.

Imagine if Albert Einstein used his knowledge for Evil or Galileo? Imagine if Edison (telephone) or the Wright brothers (Aeroplane) used their knowledge to kill people instead of making life easier? Would l not be right to refer to them as "Juju men"? grin

So, no point in "giving a dog a bad name so you can hang it".

Again, those of you trying to castigate Yorubas over the phrase 'Babalawo' are just not up to it in terms of knowledge.
Would you castigate yourself (If you are Igbo) because of the phrase "[color=Black]Dibia" which is the exact word for Babalawo (Native Physician/medicine man in Igbo language!)[/color].
Again, we must note that films have to sell and it is not unusual to "exaggerate" the plot of the babalawo so that fans can buy the film.
Some even thought "Fadeyi-Oloro" was real! shocked

i would like to hear other people's opinion and definition (for educational purpose only grin )
Cheers

@lastpage,

I wouldn't want us to deviate from the topic u know. And I know you're not trying to justify the frequent use of the babalawos in Yoruba movies wink

I also do have  different meanings in relation juju, occultism and babalawo.

Juju is an object superstitiously revered by people and used as a charm or fetish, while occultism is a mystical or supernatural phenomena or influences. Kinda secret or esoteric and beyond human understanding.

Babalawo literally means father of mysteries. A divination system that represent the teachings of the deities. They determine problems and most times apply spiritual and secular solutions to them. Awo is charged with assisting and training people to attain a particular height in spiritual growth through the use of Ifa.

@lastpage, my post does not in any way disregard nor does it fail to recognize traditional means of solving problems, but rather, it lays emphasis on Yoruba Movies producers and their concentration on babalawos.

Hope u get me!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

YouTube Needs Prayers – Prophet TB Joshua (Video) / The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 / Adeboye Calls For The Release Of Leah Sharibu From Boko Haram Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.