Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (14684 Views)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? / Babalawos And Mamalawos In Lagos. / ~'Christians' Who Attend Church And Consult Babalawos At The Same Time. . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:20am On May 18, 2010
bee444:

Don't wanna call u ignorant @igbonla. I am of the opinion that the use of babalawo in almost all the Yoruba films should be limited.

Some people don't just like criticism.

I am Yoruba, but i see some reason to your argument, however valid it seems, you must understand that it is simply a personal opinion. you can gather a few others like yourself and form some consensus but it will still remain an opinion and not a widely held view; definitely not the norm or standard for Yoruba movies. What you have expressed is not criticism but a personal aversion for Yoruba movies because they promote (in your words) juju and not Christian values. Whichever way you see it, making movies is a creative process (regardless the level of creativity) and it is an expression of ideas, a podium for breathing life to stories. What would the movies of Christ be without the "pagan" Romans or the prostituute and taxpayers and thieves   Yet it is a Christian movie that also embraces the existence of other cultures and their practices without limits to storytelling. Yoruba movies have one up against igbo movies for one thing; most plots at least have a clearly discernible starting and ending thread unlike their Igbo movies that have multiple plots and sub-plots that have no tie whatsoever except the big-butted, thick-lapped, cleavage-exposing actresses and bare-chested oyibo-ghana-boy to make up for movie time spread across 4 DVD!!!  shocked shocked

Like some poster pointed out, before Christianity, there were Traditionalists and they preferred the gods and oracles for any dealings in that society, just because Christianity came to Africa does not mean you should throw-away your native clothes and confuse your dressing, names and beliefs like some south-south people i know.  wink
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Felibaby(f): 11:28am On May 18, 2010
@bee444 : You actually have a point with your post but you spoilt it for me with your statement that there is no difference btw the babalawo's and the C&S church. That is a sweeping statement and should not be. Just a word for you, DO NOT JUDGE SO THAT YOU WILL NOT BE JUDGED.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Sauron1: 11:32am On May 18, 2010
bee444:

I Am Sick & Tired Of Yoruba Movie Producers/Directors! They Make Me Sick!

I think most of the Yoruba movie producers and directors are uncivilized and lack foresight.   I am in a fowl mood now and ready to bash these so-called primitive people called producers/directors.

I have seen hundreds of their movies of recent, and my Gawd, detest every bit of it! The actors/actress are ok by me , and even most of the story lines are fine. The most annoying part is when every difficult situation the cast face(s) has to lead to a babalawo. The Producers/directors tends to focus your attention to the 'wonderful role' these so=called herbalist play in their lives.

Ogogo and his wife are childless, next thing you see is babalawo. Although they often said they're revealing what most Nigerian does, this is often not the case. The Producer is the brain behind the fetishism, casting shadows of what may or kill his/her people if alternate source is not used.

However, most of the Yoruba actor/producers are Muslims (Yoruba Muslims sees nothing wrong with aajo- alternate source) thereby making the Christians amongst them look rather sheepish or marooned. Murphy Afolabi is one of the worst Yoruba Producer of all time. Always showcasing his diabolical power or most times herbalitical prowess. For goodness sake, does every misfortune in  Yoruba Movies have to lead to consulting a soothsayer/herbalist?

I think its high time we stopped this madness and discourage the use of these babalawo's. What happened to the positive side of things? Don't get me wrong here, I'm not in any way insinuating that some of these things don't happen in real life, but i'm on the positive side of things. Let us boycott their use and be more civilize. Bukky wright (a Muslim) is sick, you see her first with the herbalist, then  Alfa, and finally the Church (Cele or C&S); they don't even take them to a proper Church. Any spiritual place that sees vision and give something to use for remedy suit the Producer/director perfectly. These so-called think they're discouraging people from the use of native powers, but in essence, encouraging it.

Yoruba Movies always ridicule the Christian faith but encourages Islam and fetishism (both goes hand-in- hand). I am tired and tired of this non-sense. These people are just too overly cultural and traditional and refuses to see the positivity of Jesus's salvation to their ignorance.

Just waiting for the day I'd catch any of these miscreant; I swear I'll teach them a good lesson. I dey vex, make nobody stop me.

You are a FIRST CLASS IDIOT.
That is ALL.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 11:42am On May 18, 2010
Felibaby:

@bee444 : You actually have a point with your post but you spoilt it for me with your statement that there is no difference btw the babalawo's and the C&S church. That is a sweeping statement and should not be. Just a word for you, DO NOT JUDGE SO THAT YOU WILL NOT BE JUDGED.

@Felibaby,

I have actually retracted those words and do apologize for putting it up there in the first place.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 11:56am On May 18, 2010
~Sauron~:

You are a FIRST CLASS IDIOT.
That is ALL.

I see no reason why you should call me names @Sauron. We should all learn to be more tolerant and patient in our dealings with people.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by tushbobo(m): 11:56am On May 18, 2010
I think the poster is right,i m yoruba and sometimes enjoy yoruba films because of their reasonable storylines but mennnnn why do 90% of  the films have diabolical scenes which are unusually prolonged.I once watched one yoruba film where pastors where praying for a sick child and a witch appeared and told everyone present that without her healing the child,all their prayers will be in vain as she was the one that made the child sick.The witch then went ahead to heal the child and the pastors left(after sweating and calling the name"Jesus" a million times).Whats the message in that?that a witch can heal when Jesus failed?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 12:11pm On May 18, 2010
Behind bobo:

I think the poster is right,i m yoruba and sometimes enjoy yoruba films because of their reasonable storylines but mennnnn why do 90% of  the films have diabolical scenes which are unusually prolonged.I once watched one yoruba film where pastors where praying for a sick child and a witch appeared and told everyone present that without her healing the child,all their prayers will be in vain as she was the one that made the child sick.The witch then went ahead to heal the child and the pastors left(after sweating and calling the name"Jesus" a million times).Whats the message in that?that a witch can heal when Jesus failed?

Thank you so much @Behind bobo for coming out here to also tell us your concern. I think people are getting my post twisted. I never said I hate or don't like Yoruba Movies, what I don't like as you mentioned earlier is the 90% of the diabolical scenes and the portrayal of other people's faith as been inferior or rather irrelevant.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Sauron1: 12:13pm On May 18, 2010
bee444:

I see no reason why you should call me names @Sauron. We should all learn to be more tolerant and patient in our dealings with people.

Take a look at the balderdash you typed up there and tell me why i shouldn't call you names.

The Yoruba people as a race have existed long before the missionary explored the coasts of Africa.
These people were ALL idol worshippers before Christianity got to them and some still worship their idols.
There's no way Yoruba movies would ignore the traditions of Yorubaland. . . . .
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:31pm On May 18, 2010
There are Christian films that use the rich Yoruba culture to portray the spiritual battle going on in our land today. True Christians are the only ones who would see the values of genuine Christian films such as Mount Zion and the one below and appreciate the efforts of these talented artistes in revealing the true state of the human's heart.

[flash=600,500]http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/sY9QzNVwg6U&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by mymoto(m): 12:42pm On May 18, 2010
This is the end time,perilious times. it is not only yoruba movies alone my people that voodoo,charms,diabolical means are portrayed but in all films even american films-vampire,horror movies. india films-worshiping budha, adventurre films-worshiping white witches.
in a nutshell, let us be guided and know that there is pollution all over the world.your mind will be polluted and the best way is to stop watching those films. i hope i am making sense here honourable nairalanders
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Sauron1: 12:43pm On May 18, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

There are Christian films that use the rich Yoruba culture to portray the spiritual battle going on in our land today.  True Christians are the only ones who would see the values of genuine Christian films such as Mount Zion and the one below and appreciate the efforts of these talented artistes in revealing the true state of the human's heart.

Even the Christian movies you talk about still get to show herbalists.
Mount Zion movies show far too many herbalist scenes than most of the Yoruba movies the OP was talking about.
All i know is EVIL never prevails over GOOD in Yoruba movies. . . . .
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Olumide7(m): 12:50pm On May 18, 2010
Let's face it, Babalawos are part of the yoruba culture or any nigerian culture in fact, Excluding it from Nigerian movies will not be portraying the yoruba culture in its entirety.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Sauron1: 12:58pm On May 18, 2010
Olumide7:

Let's face it, Babalawos are part of the yoruba culture or any nigerian culture in fact, Excluding it from Nigerian movies will not be portraying the yoruba culture in its entirety.

U must be very intelligent!!!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 18, 2010
rich_john:

This OP is insane so its 'jesus' thath should be promoted abi? The white people that dashed you 'jesus' has dumped him and left him long ago continue in your delusion. I hope you know 'esu' is not devil and I think I remember a thread here that "THE IBOS SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO EKWENSU" all these delusion coming with xtianity should be a thing of the past why are we daft in africa. Come to think of it, its the white people are discovering and excavating egypt: amenhotep, cleopatra, nefertiti, king khufu, king tut, ramesses etc these were black people yet its white people discovering ancient egyptian mysteries all we know how to do is Shout halleluyah, praise the lawd, jesus is lord bla bla bla, Am ashamed of being african, my people are disgusting!

so just because you see a thread on nl, that means it's set in stone? How daft can you get? Its this lack of reasoning analysis that's the bane of africans.

and if white people are discovering egypt, what prevented you from getting there first with your pick and shovel and arranging history to suit your own self?

i hope you can see the error in your line of thought because i did not intend to log on nl today talkless argue endlessly over irrelevancies.

Behind bobo:

I think the poster is right,i m yoruba and sometimes enjoy yoruba films because of their reasonable storylines but mennnnn why do 90% of the films have diabolical scenes which are unusually prolonged.I once watched one yoruba film where pastors where praying for a sick child and a witch appeared and told everyone present that without her healing the child,all their prayers will be in vain as she was the one that made the child sick.The witch then went ahead to heal the child and the pastors left(after sweating and calling the name"Jesus" a million times).Whats the message in that?that a witch can heal when Jesus failed?

not sure what the message was supposed to be in this type of film.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by horseballs(m): 2:04pm On May 18, 2010
@Tudor why on planet earth would someone have such a foul mouth undecided, if u so damn much believe in tradition why u no dey preach voodooism and witchcraft for T.V, just as the christians and muslims preach their religion grin.
i think u should get an education.
in as much as our cultures and traditions should be preserved, it doesnt mean you should venture into the part that would destroy you.
I bet you still throw twins into the evil forest once they are born. village girl. grin
@ bee444 i do understand your point, their some unnecessary expositions we see on some of our movies these days and it should be curtailed to foster better thought and growth.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 18, 2010
bee444:

So far Ur posts have been far from tolererant and patient,  I dont c any reason why anyone should anyone extend such privileges to U. Ur liking or not liking something should be a personal opinion only aired when asked for, I dont watch Nigerian movies myself but U dont hear me going round mouthing off  and getting worked up like a like a busted sewer spewing my filth everywhere. This thread just goes to show how childish and petty u really are.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by scholag(f): 2:15pm On May 18, 2010
I think we should do constructive reasoning all d time, it helps discern right from wrong. We all r guilty of these things one way or another.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 2:18pm On May 18, 2010
Olumide7:

Let's face it, Babalawos are part of the yoruba culture or any nigerian culture in fact,[b] Excluding it from Nigerian movies [/b]will not be portraying the yoruba culture in its entirety.

@olumide7,

No one is talking about exclusion here! We just want a limited version of it. Don't want our kids to grow up and be part of the babalawo struggle.

Imagine I stepped on your toe without tendering an apology, would you because of your knowledge of their existence and help seek their advice on what to do to me? Sometimes, common sense do prevail!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Sauron1: 2:28pm On May 18, 2010
bee444:

No one is talking about exclusion here! We just want a limited version of it. Don't want our kids to grow up and be part of the babalawo struggle.

Imagine I stepped on your toe without tendering an apology, would you because of your knowledge of their existence and help seek their advice on what to do to me? Sometimes, common sense do prevail!

If you don't like Yoruba tradition, don't watch their movies. End of!!!
Babalawo is part of their tradition just like the Igbos have their dibias and so on and so forth.
I am yet to see Igbo folks complain about their movies - telling Movie producers to limit Babalawo scenes is telling them NOT to be original.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by petroy(m): 3:37pm On May 18, 2010
angryeyaaa, make una take am easy.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Devonian(m): 3:47pm On May 18, 2010
Religion and culture in any socities across the world are inextricably intertwined. Even in European societies where secularisation have, arguably, decimated the power and influence of religion on the society, religion remotely or intimately underpins values, ethos, traditions and practices. In spite of the widespread of Christianity across Africa, particularly, sub sahara Africa, African Traditional Religious (ATR) diviners, priests and medicine men and women (Yorubas call them Babalawo, Onifa, Adahunse, Onisegun, etc) persist and would forever remain part and parcel of the fabric of traditional African societies.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by richjohn1(m): 3:52pm On May 18, 2010
@TPIA
I've never read any of your post and picked sense out of it, see who's talking about reasoning? I laugh in italian
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by kufreabasi(m): 4:25pm On May 18, 2010
@ poster,
I want to tell you that, that is what they believe in. church or no church, mosque or no mosque, a yoruba person can't leave babalawo behind.
Take it or you leave it
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Jenwitemi(m): 4:49pm On May 18, 2010
I guess the yorubas are not the sort of folks who abandon their traditions and cultures for foreign ones. Bravo to them.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Mkpotu(m): 4:56pm On May 18, 2010
@ Lagerwhenindoubt,
Concentrate your argument on what the poster has posted 'why do Yoruba movies promote babalawos' and not dragging or comparing Igbo movies and Yoruba movies. Nobody wants to know if you enjoy/understand Yoruba films more than Igbo films. Treat issues as they come and not digressing.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ogajim(m): 4:57pm On May 18, 2010
LOL@ this thread, And I thought the Yoruba movies had better plots and direction than all those Nollywood straight to DVD movies!

Movies are for entertainment and are generally not suited for the Christian no matter who made them or where they're made, just because you can't tell those kinds of things from oyinbo movies don't mean they're not there, think or study more.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by smasher1(m): 5:07pm On May 18, 2010
Answer- they are very fetish. The Ibo movies also show similar traits but more of a love of money.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 18, 2010
@Tudor why on planet earth would someone have such a foul mouth

great question.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by johnterry4: 5:15pm On May 18, 2010
[size=16pt]SAURON,I NEVER KNEW U WERE THIS CLASSLESS.I USED TO RESPECT UR NAME ON NL.NEVER KNEW U WERE A TOUT.[/size]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Tuyis: 5:23pm On May 18, 2010
smasher1:

Answer- they are very fetish. The Ibo movies also show similar traits but more of a love of money.

It's all make believe, Hollywood movies have more diabolical plots than anything Nigeria can dish out. You either watch them or not, no cause for alarm!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by blackboi(m): 5:36pm On May 18, 2010
se na like this e go dey dey cry ?

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by porka: 6:42pm On May 18, 2010
I get your point poster. But, you probably do not know that you are up against a multi million naira, dollars if you like, industry that is sustained by fear, pseudo-religion, mass hysteria and ignorance. African people in general, refer to archaic, primitive and barbaric practices as culture because they want to sustain their economic base. Most of these guys in the Yoruba movie genre, I mean producers, directors and acts are not literate, the literates among them are directly from villages where these pre-medieval practices are strong. How can someone call killing of humans for so-called money ritual as culture if not villagers. That does not mean there are not some of them who are literate, but certainly not educated. How can someone leave civilization (city) to seek solution to his marital/finance/economic/health problems in the bush, with one old or young man who has never been to school, does not practice basic hygiene i.e. brush his teeth daily, probably has never seen electricity before?

You can rest assured that African mythology is very primitive, people are not encouraged to think through their problems or challenges except offered some stupid remedy which makes things worse for them. Imagine for a second, someone runs into a hard time, and all he could think of is one man, or woman maybe his wife or mother or neighbor, being responsible for his misfortune. Or a woman who apparently cannot conceive and all the advice she could get is going to drink some toxic substance in the name of culture. Is the baby going to be from outer space with 9 fingers, two heads, seven legs? In other words, are they having babies that are different from normal humans. It's just plain irrational.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are Your Reasons For Not Going To Church Today? / YouTube Needs Prayers – Prophet TB Joshua (Video) / The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.