Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (14689 Views)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? / Babalawos And Mamalawos In Lagos. / ~'Christians' Who Attend Church And Consult Babalawos At The Same Time. . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 7:34pm On May 19, 2010
wazobia200:

Some of you people dont know the inherent and evil nature of the babalawos. Yoruba culture is the best in africa, period!. The story line in most of the movies is way better and superior to the english ones. But babalawos, jujus and all these fetish practices should be done away with.

Do you know how many ppl whose lives, carriers, advancement in life as been ruined by this evil practices. Many ppl destiny are altered and lives caught short before their appointed time by babalawos and fetishism. All these mysterious death you found common in yoruba land, you think it is ordinary. No my friend, most of them are as a result of ppl that take your 'case' to a babalawo because they were offended.

You know how many famous(or would be famous) sons and daughters of the yorubas whose lives and destinies are truncated by this diabolically forces. This practices is rooted in witchcraft and nothing good comes out of witchcraft. The devil cannot offer anything good to humanity.

But this heathen practices is increasing and will not decrease because we are in the last days. Such practices is common even in europe and movies that as mystical or magical flair to it sells better here in the USA.

Dont get me wrong, yorubas are great ppl. The culture is the best. The use of words, the proverbs, the respect for elders etc are wonderful. But this heathen practices should be done away with from our culture. Because it as limited yoruba progress as individual and a collective body.

If am president of that country, i will ban those babalawos and make it a crime for anyone to seek or practice such! kiss

I second that bro. Yoruba's are great people. Couldn't agree more with you. I like them dearly.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by paris10: 7:54pm On May 19, 2010
@topic,

This thread is a very sensitive one, and a lot people are taking it personal; especially those that comes from a babalawo background or have anything to do with them.

Culture is culture and should be respected, no doubt about that. @poster is only soliciting for a reduced appearance of babalawos in Yoruba movies, let us therefore either support or be against it without being sentimental about it.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by AndreUweh(m): 10:32pm On May 19, 2010
Apart from Babalawos, producers here draw a lot of inspiration from Prophet Mohammed. For the fact that Prophet Mohammed married a woman older than him, this producers produce films of boys marrying women old enough to be their mothers.
In real life, that does not happen in Yorubaland. There have never been any case of a 25 year old marrying a mother of 50 years in Yorubaland.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by IDINRETE: 12:12am On May 20, 2010
Humility is the art of displaying a modest view of oneself as against being arrogant
or having a bloated conception of oneself while at the same time looking down on others.

In Iworo-Wowo (Iwori-Ose), Ifa warns against being arrogant:

Asilu mo piki, ilekun ase
Adifa fun ajiwekun-wesa
Ti won ni omi ti yoo gbe lo ko ni kun aha
Ebo won ni ko wa se
O pe awo ni eke
O pe Esu odara ni ole
Ko pe o ke jinna
Eyin o ri Ifa awo ti nse bi ala more

A large door is that which when opened, make a big reverberating noise
This was the decalaration of Ifa to he who swims through oceans and lagoons early each day
they told him that the water which would make him drown would not be up to a cupful
he tagged the Awo as cheats
and called Esu odara a thief
Before long, not too far
behold Ifa as it has come to pass like a dream

The person reffered to here was so good in swimming that he thought that no water could harm him.
When he was advised to offer sacrifice against being drowned in the water, which would be up to a cupful, he thought it impossible.
Relying on his ability, he abused the Awo and Esu Odara and left. A few moments later, he took a small calabash to drink water,
the water ran into his windpipe and he died of asphyxation. A few seconds to his death, he remembered the advice of the Awo but alas it was too late,

Ela boru Ela boye Ela bosise
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 1:09am On May 20, 2010
Jesu oba igbala
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ifele(m): 1:55am On May 20, 2010
Yoruba film artists love to perpetuate ungoldly spiritism and all manners of idolatries. They play on the ridiculous fear of evil spirits, witches and sorcerers that Yoruba people still have in their psyches. They are still trying to establish the fear of evil in Yoruba people. They are carving out a sloppy horror movie genre.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 2:27am On May 20, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Apart from Babalawos, producers here draw a lot of inspiration from Prophet Mohammed. For the fact that Prophet Mohammed married a woman older than him, this producers produce films of boys marrying women old enough to be their mothers.
In real life, that does not happen in Yorubaland. There have never been any case of a 25 year old marrying a mother of 50 years in Yorubaland.

even if it does happen, if they're both adults, na them sabi.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by freshera: 8:53am On May 20, 2010
Not just babalawos, Yoruba movies have also started showing indecency. Watch 2[b].58 -3.58[/b]

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZFi9RHGYLs&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by HEMIMI: 9:09am On May 20, 2010
Honestly speaking, we all need to respect ourself and what we are. The problem in middle east is that the Muslims want every living soul on planet to be a Muslim. I don't no how they will achieve that goal even if they kill everybody. So we all need to appreciate ourself and respect what we believe in, after all they all have their diffrent significant. I love Nigeria religion ideology. They respect each other. I can remember when the Muslims are celebrating the christian go along with them, even Ebenezer obey will sing and make record for them so also during the christian celebration.
Lets get along and make this world a peaceful place to enjoy.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Gtitan: 9:13am On May 20, 2010
Pastor AIO:

You this italian guy, tell me.  Why must italian renaissance art be full of depictions of myths and gods.  If it is not Leda and the Swan, it is andromeda, or Zeus/jupiter getting up to one thing or the other.

Opera too na the same thing.  Imagine Wagner depicting the Valkyries in his operas.  I don't want to see any more classical gods or heroes in this modern day christian world, so you better watch yourself or I go vex for you o!!  I will break your balls if you continue.

Well my good Pastor, first of all I must say that I admire your interest in the visual arts,  these myths and gods in our paintings, opera etc were once our beliefs and they general determined our culture and way of life hundreds of years ago, they are as you say it, our roots and heritage which we as Italians have preserved because we believe that even as Christians, we must never forget where we came from, it determines who we are and tells the stories of how our culture has progressed.  

We find our ancient religions fascinating and have chosen to preserve it and even sell it to the modern world.  You should see the Greeks or visit Greece to see how serious they are with all this.

And hey Pastor, Italian art is also full of Christian stuff.  Have you seen the sculptures by Micheal Angelo, the paintings in St. Peters Basilica, even the more famous pictures of Jesus have their origin from Italian art.   No vex o, so you no go break my balls, Bros I sabi o, I don dey Naija for 25 years now.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Gtitan: 9:58am On May 20, 2010
wazobia200:

Some of you people dont know the inherent and evil nature of the babalawos. Yoruba culture is the best in africa, period!. The story line in most of the movies is way better and superior to the english ones. But babalawos, jujus and all these fetish practices should be done away with.

Do you know how many ppl whose lives, carriers, advancement in life as been ruined by this evil practices. Many ppl destiny are altered and lives caught short before their appointed time by babalawos and fetishism. All these mysterious death you found common in yoruba land, you think it is ordinary. No my friend, most of them are as a result of ppl that take your 'case' to a babalawo because they were offended.

You know how many famous(or would be famous) sons and daughters of the yorubas whose lives and destinies are truncated by this diabolically forces. This practices is rooted in witchcraft and nothing good comes out of witchcraft. The devil cannot offer anything good to humanity.

But this heathen practices is increasing and will not decrease because we are in the last days. Such practices is common even in europe and movies that as mystical or magical flair to it sells better here in the USA.

Dont get me wrong, yorubas are great ppl. The culture is the best. The use of words, the proverbs, the respect for elders etc are wonderful. But this heathen practices should be done away with from our culture. Because it as limited yoruba progress as individual and a collective body.

If am president of that country, i will ban those babalawos and make it a crime for anyone to seek or practice such! kiss

I quite agree with your first few points stating that Yoruba people are great people and they have wonderful story lines for movies compared to those seen in modern day western movies. Let me also add to these points that I don't think the true potentials of these writers and movie producers have been fully exploited and they are going to waste.

I must also say that fetishism in any culture is not just done away with as you have suggested, rather it is out-grown by the community mostly because a new and more acceptable religion or doctrine is/has been introduced. There is no culture in world that has not had its past rooted in what is termed- fetish beliefs; however unlike Nigeria and many other countries, they out-grew their fetish beliefs naturally. Sorry, but Nigeria and many African countries, and countries in other continents did not have this opportunity. Instead they were forced into practicing religions that were completely alien to them. Many communities converted into Christian or Moslem communities while others incorporated these new religions into their traditional beliefs. And that is why you still have elements of fetish religions and cultures still present in Nigerian movie. Another example is in South American Brazil where both fetish and Christian doctrines are practiced together.

These movies, I believe are optional viewing and not imposed on anyone. I don't believe in any way that they have limited the progress of the Yoruba people rather I think that the sentimental and sensitive nature of Christians and Moslems in Nigeria to what is scriptural acceptable and what should be acceptable in the real sense have retarded the progress of many ingenious ideas and concepts in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Gtitan: 10:14am On May 20, 2010
IDINRETE:

Humility is the art of displaying a modest view of oneself as against being arrogant
or having a bloated conception of oneself while at the same time looking down on others.

In Iworo-Wowo (Iwori-Ose), Ifa warns against being arrogant:

Asilu mo piki, ilekun ase
Adifa fun ajiwekun-wesa
Ti won ni omi ti yoo gbe lo ko ni kun aha
Ebo won ni ko wa se
O pe awo ni eke
O pe Esu odara ni ole
Ko pe o ke jinna
Eyin o ri Ifa awo ti nse bi ala more

A large door is that which when opened, make a big reverberating noise
This was the decalaration of Ifa to he who swims through oceans and lagoons early each day
they told him that the water which would make him drown would not be up to a cupful
he tagged the Awo as cheats
and called Esu odara a thief
Before long, not too far
behold Ifa as it has come to pass like a dream

The person reffered to here was so good in swimming that he thought that no water could harm him.
When he was advised to offer sacrifice against being drowned in the water, which would be up to a cupful, he thought it impossible.
Relying on his ability, he abused the Awo and Esu Odara and left. A few moments later, he took a small calabash to drink water,
the water ran into his windpipe and he died of asphyxation. A few seconds to his death, he remembered the advice of the Awo but alas it was too late,

Ela boru Ela boye Ela bosise

Honestly, this is beautiful.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by medolala: 10:34am On May 20, 2010
@IDINRETE u are totally ma Guy, keep the culture going wink

@TUDOR u are the BOMB !! totally unrelenting in your cause. i am with u 360 degrees

@ Bee444, u are a total bombastic animal! living the foools life without any recourse to intelligent thinking and african nationalism! how can u wake every morning and call yourself a human being talk less and of being African!!

A white man, yellow baby and an Arab tells you that u r black & all evil is black and yet your "black" brain is not taken aback!! but rather your brain remains bleak, like that of a goat!!,

I wonder what you'll do when you see a human being of green colour , >>>> of course u'll call it an alien (cuz d white man says so) & then u'll call it a demon (cuz d white man says so), forgeting that the white man called you evil cuz ur skin is black (& though the slave trade has stopped, they stilll call all evil stuff back) and flogged you till you accepted the name TOBI (Kuntakinte)

Ogun bite that tongue u have used to call out and use such beastly language as: black magic, black power, black voodoo.
look at youir skin men, u r as black as they can get!
So wake up and promote ur culture. never forget ur past cz without it ur future will never be. never forget ur heritage cz they made you and made those Bee4444 u.

the babalawos have an equal right with them Pastors and Imams.

Besides, they all do things in common: PRAYERS & CURSES
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by paris10: 10:51am On May 20, 2010
@Poster

I tell you, these past few days, my mum is beginning to get worried about the same issue raised here. She is a great lover and supporter of quality cultural Yoruba movies and does rent upto 10 to 15 movies each week.

However, she's now beginning to get irritated by the amount of lack of self-belief of the producers and the use of almost same story line . She told me and I quote " Did you know that out of the 40 DVD's I've watched so far, only 1 doesn't contain a babalawo scene?" Oh boy, that was a lot!

I'm a lil bit concern as I don't know what message the producers are trying to get across.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ifele(m): 11:11am On May 20, 2010
The only way Yoruba people can be free from the evils of their society which stem from the immoral teachings of elders immersed in occultic, pagan

rituals and all manners of communion with evil demon that pollute the soul is to simply wipe out the Yoruba occult and pagan religion, its priests and its

followers. The kidnap, murder and use the body parts of their human victims in all kinds of barbaric evil demon worshipping ceremonies. Everyone

knows this statement is true. The propagate the false doctrine of goodness is bad and worthy of loathing. And that evil itself is worthy of veneration.

And they rejoice in the might and triumphs of evil.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by paris10: 5:34pm On May 20, 2010
medolala:

@IDINRETE u are totally ma Guy, keep the culture going wink

@TUDOR u are the BOMB !! totally unrelenting in your cause. i am with u 360 degrees

@ Bee444, u are a total bombastic animal! living the foools life without any recourse to intelligent thinking and african nationalism! how can u wake every morning and call yourself a human being talk less and of being African!!

A white man, yellow baby and an Arab tells you that u r black & all evil is black and yet your "black" brain is not taken aback!! but rather your brain remains bleak, like that of a goat!!,

I wonder what you'll do when you see a human being of green colour , >>>> of course u'll call it an alien (cuz d white man says so) & then u'll call it a demon (cuz d white man says so), forgeting that the white man called you evil cuz your skin is black (& though the slave trade has stopped, they stilll call all evil stuff back) and flogged you till you accepted the name TOBI (Kuntakinte)

Ogun bite that tongue u have used to call out and use such beastly language as: black magic, black power, black voodoo.
look at youir skin men, u r as black as they can get!
So wake up and promote your culture. never forget your past cz without it your future will never be. never forget your heritage cz they made you and made those Bee4444 u.

the babalawos have an equal right with them Pastors and Imams.

Besides, they all do things in common: PRAYERS & CURSES

I think the truth has definitely eluded you. Just because the Indians, brazilians and the Greek advertises their goddesses and gods doesn't make it any less better to that of the Yoruba's or Nigeria in general.

The fact that the western countries do portray themselves as sexual dogs on scenes doesn't give us that freedom to always showcasing our voodooism.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by yim(f): 11:57am On May 21, 2010
poster you need to watch more YORUBA movies because it looks like you are left behind. i watch them and they are improving and next time watch how you paste you may cause religious crisis.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by sherrify: 1:58pm On May 21, 2010
I SEE ABIT SENCE IN WAT D POSTER SAYS, FOR EXAMPLE NIGERIAN MOVIES ARE WATCHED WILDLY BY ALOT OF AFRICANS ABROAD, I WONDER WHY EACH TIME I GET INTO GATHERINGS OF AFRICANS ABROAD THE FIRST THING THEY TELL ME IS "TOO MUCH VODOO NIGERIANS"
AM MARRIED TO A BRITISH ETHIOPAN NOW FOR 3 YEARS AND YET SHE IS SCARED OF VISITING NIGERIA, SHE LOVES NIGERIA TO D CORE , U NEED SEE HER FIGHT IN OFFICES WHENEVER THEY REFUSE OUR PROJECT SIMPLY COS AM A NIGERIAN, STILL SHE IS SCARED OF GOING TO NIGERIA,
COME TO THINK OF IT, 150 MILLION PEOPLE HOW MANY SELF IN THIS MODERN DAYS DON ENTER BABALAWO HOUSE WEY B SAY ALL OUR MOVIES NA SO SO VODOO.
GOD SAVE THIS PRODUCERS AND SO CALLED DIRECTORS OF NO MODERNIZED SKULLS
E DEY PAIN ME COS I DEY SUFFER BIG TIME FROM AM
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by okooyinbo(m): 2:40pm On May 21, 2010
Monday - the day the unbelievers worship the moon should be erased from the Christian calendar
Thursday - the day the unbelievers worship Thor the God of thunder should be erased from the Christian calendar too
Saturday - the day the unbelievers worship the planet Saturn should be erased from the Christian calendar as well

And especially you should stop going to church on SUNDAY because you go to worhsip the SUN when you do. The Jewish Sabath is Saturday not Sunday!

Stop celebrating Christmas because Christ was never massed on the 25th of December. Xmas is a pagan ritual. Most if not all Christian rituals have their origin in paganism of the JEWS and the Europeans. Being Christian is in effect bieng pagan, The same goes for Islam. That rock in Mecca that you circle is a pagan ritual shrine etc.

The continued observance and performace of the so numerous pagan rituals in the socalled "true religions" is in itself primitive and uncreative. Stealing the ideas and shrines of other religions and to label the people you have robbed as UNBELIEVERS is also very primitive and CRUEL. Now, get rid of those things, Or to put it in the language you understand: Get rid of the logs in your eyes first, Then we can talk. Or was it not also written: You shall steal?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by okooyinbo(m): 2:43pm On May 21, 2010
Or was it not also written: You shall steal?

Should read: Or was it not also written: You shall not steal?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by okooyinbo(m): 2:50pm On May 21, 2010
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos?
« #206 on: Yesterday at 12:11:46 »

The only way Yoruba people can be free from the evils of their society which stem from the immoral teachings of elders immersed in occultic, pagan

rituals and all manners of communion with evil demon that pollute the soul is to simply wipe out the Yoruba occult and pagan religion, its priests and its

followers. The kidnap, murder and use the body parts of their human victims in all kinds of barbaric evil demon worshipping ceremonies. Everyone

knows this statement is true. The propagate the false doctrine of goodness is bad and worthy of loathing. And that evil itself is worthy of veneration.

And they rejoice in the might and triumphs of evil.

Maybe you can buttress your point with statistical and scientifical evidence that support your "true statement"

BTW, the churches and the mosques and their priests should equally be wiped out because they preach decay. We also know a lot of them through their deeds, I mean the pastors and alfas.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ibnakeem: 4:03pm On May 21, 2010
@beetee44 If you are out of words, why dont you go to bed rather than blaspheming another religion.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 10:38pm On May 21, 2010
ibnakeem:

@beetee44 If you are out of words, why dont you go to bed rather than blaspheming another religion.

Very disappointing comment! Pls do come up with a very constructive and more meaningful post, ok!. Na beg I beg u
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:13am On May 22, 2010
Enter "Ishawuru" the numero uno "Babalawo" of "Muwonleru" in the "Yoruba land"

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBuZutg20c&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 11:38am On May 22, 2010
bee444:

Very disappointing comment! Pls do come up with a very constructive and more meaningful post, ok!. Na beg I beg u
Look who's talking. Like there's anything constructive in anything U've said. What'ya expect from a dumb topic , dumb posts ;like the computer experts say GIGO[ Garbage in garbage out]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by savito: 9:59pm On May 22, 2010
i feel u bro.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49am On May 23, 2010
This is Ishawuru in the English version of Agbara Nla.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aow6fOaJARY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by btlasisi(m): 3:51pm On May 29, 2010
[b]Honestly, i share partly from sentiment of the poster on some of our Youruba films.

I must admit that there are quite lot of them with very good story lines, but i hate this idea of "every problems must lead and be solved by Babalawo syndrome".

We need to understand that almost all Nollywood movies (Yoruba, Igbo, english and others) promote spiritual angle to almost every problem.

The profiteers are the spiritualists who have over the time made financial gains from vulnerable Nigerians where ordinary and unconscious  people were made to believe that they are spiritually weak. Hence, they must consult spiritual masters before their problems are solved even when it is obvious that their problems are purely medical problems.

This ugly trend is not limited to Yorubas alone, it envelopes the whole tribes and religious in Nigeria. Traditional believers have been brainwashed that if they have not consulted Babalawos or Occult priests their problems will not be solved likewise some Muslims who also nurture the belief that they have to consult one Alfa or malam before their problems are solved. Christians are not spared as well, as many believe their Pastors are mini god, as such, needs to be consulted before their problems can be solved.

Yoruba films producers can always showcase the rich culture of Yoruba in their works without necessarily promoting the Babalawo prowess.[/b]
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by agoro2u: 6:25pm On May 31, 2010
I appreciate D views of posters bt wat i C dia z Dt nothing wrong in Dt cos itz local/traditional movie which shd promote traditional solution 2 D prob
Hence Ds doesnt mean U mst Blive since it jst frm idealistic view of writer
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Jenwitemi(m): 6:48pm On May 31, 2010
And what is wrong with yoruba movies promoting babalawos? Afterall, christian movies are seriously promoting their christian babalawos (pastors) and their imported judeo-roman fetishes.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Jenwitemi(m): 7:13pm On May 31, 2010
Besides, all those elderly actors who play these babalawo roles and can't sem to play any other roles, need to be kept employed. That is another real world reason why these producers keep these roles alive in their movies.

And it also seems that their target audiences love these babalawo angle. I, personally, will love to do away with them. I love movies in which characters think up solutions to the challenges that face them.

Immidiately these characters head off to the babalawos' hauses, or some pastors' churches, or some alufa's place when they face a problem or two, i just get tired of the film and simply switch off. Nothing is as boring as watching people who can't use their brains to solve problems on the small screen. Sheer waste of time and money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

YouTube Needs Prayers – Prophet TB Joshua (Video) / The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014 / Adeboye Calls For The Release Of Leah Sharibu From Boko Haram Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.