Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? (14685 Views)

Why do Yoruba Movies Portray WhiteGarment churches as spiritual problem solvers? / Babalawos And Mamalawos In Lagos. / ~'Christians' Who Attend Church And Consult Babalawos At The Same Time. . .~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:20pm On May 16, 2010
Due to our lack of interest in DSTV programming in recent times, my wife has resorted to watching Yoruba movies claiming they are far better than Nollywood Ibo movies. Truly i enjoyed some aspects of Yoruba movies especially the efforts at proverbs and wise sayings. I also noticed that Babalawos are usually the first port of call when one faces any serious or seriousness problem (by the way, they have the most ugly of female actors in yoruba movies)

I doubt you should be angry over the fact that majority of Nigerians especially the Southern parts have very strong traditionalist roots tending towards spiritism and juju culture. Historical origins bear testament to the fact that before Christianity in Nigeria, there were strong African juju-culture. I am not saying that Christianity is without benefits. I just want you to understand that Yoruba movies in such a sense are keeping with reality. The last one I watched this afternoon has a spiritually-caged man seek deliverance from a Christian Cherubim and Seraphim church grin and was delivered, is that not balance? The movies do not ridicule Christianity in anyway, they rather serve to strengthen it. after-all Christianity is not a baby anymore and if she cannot stand on her own two feet, then we have a serious problem
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 5:27pm On May 16, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Due to our lack of interest in DSTV programming in recent times, my wife has resorted to watching Yoruba movies claiming they are far better than Nollywood Ibo movies. Truly i enjoyed some aspects of Yoruba movies especially the efforts at proverbs and wise sayings. I also noticed that Babalawos are usually the first port of call when one faces any serious or seriousness problem (by the way, they have the most ugly of female actors in yoruba movies)

I doubt you should be angry over the fact that majority of Nigerians especially the Southern parts have very strong traditionalist roots tending towards spiritism and juju culture. Historical origins bear testament to the fact that before Christianity in Nigeria, there were strong African juju-culture. I am not saying that Christianity is without benefits. I just want you to understand that Yoruba movies in such a sense are keeping with reality[b]. The last one I watched this afternoon has a spiritually-caged man seek deliverance from a Christian Cherubim and Seraphim church grin and was delivered, is that not balance?[/b] The movies do not ridicule Christianity in anyway, they rather serve to strengthen it. after-all Christianity is not a baby anymore and if she cannot stand on her own two feet, then we have a serious problem

Don't know the difference btw a C&S Church and a Babalawo; think they work hand-in-hand. They both give something (soap, powder, sponge etc) in return for deliverance.

Since the Yoruba's tend to be more traditional rather than follow Jesus's teaching, then let them still be and leave Jesus completely out of their movies!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 5:32pm On May 16, 2010
If Jesus really had a problem with it he would smite them himself. It's free advertising. He appreciates it! Say thank you.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:47pm On May 16, 2010
bee444:

Don't know the difference btw a C&S Church and a Babalawo; think they work hand-in-hand. They both give something (soap, powder, sponge etc) in return for deliverance.

Since the Yoruba's tend to be more traditional rather than follow Jesus's teaching, then let them still be and leave Jesus completely out of their movies!

It is like saying Front-line Christian movies should leave out Sinners and Islam and other religions from their movies and talk about Christ alone, it cannot happen. Religion needs to flourish and for that to happen some other religion will be used as negative leverage.

And truly there is little man can do that God cannot do for himself grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by InesQor(m): 6:54pm On May 16, 2010
Krayo baba!

I just dey hail you, nothing dey paa,

@Topic: Stuff of legends and fantasy. As long as they have not identified themselves as Christian Movies, then they are as much fantasy as Harry Potter, and those who want to believe it's true have as much liberty as those who think it's all evil, or its crap, like you do.

I think you should leave and let be.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 16, 2010
by the way, they have the most ugly of female actors in yoruba movies

seriously, i was thinking this very morning, about opening a thread to enquire when Yoruba became synonymous with ugly.

never been so amazed in my life as when i found out thanks mainly to nairaland, that yorubas in general have been given that tag.

do we have yoruba movies/the nigerian movie industry to thank for this?

ok!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by fyneguy: 9:33pm On May 16, 2010
^^^^^^ why do I think you lost your boyfriend to a yoruba lady, at one time or the other?
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 10:05pm On May 16, 2010
InesQor:

Krayo baba!

I just dey hail you, nothing dey paa,

@Topic: Stuff of legends and fantasy. As long as they have not identified themselves as Christian Movies, then they are as much fantasy as Harry Potter, and those who want to believe it's true have as much liberty as those who think it's all evil, or its crap, like you do.

I think you should leave and let be.

You dey offend me oo, don't you think this thing is getting out of hands?
Imagine I offend a Yoruba actor/producer/director, would going to a babalawo be the first point of action? I am going to lead a protest for the boycott of this nonsense. Can't allow the generations to come to be part or witness this obsolete act!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 2:56am On May 17, 2010
fyneguy:

^^^^^^ why do I think you lost your boyfriend to a yoruba lady, at one time or the other?

because you're psychic wink

it was one of those big buttocked yoruba ladies.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Fhemmmy: 3:35am On May 17, 2010
If you hate it that much, then, no need to watch it and getting yourself angry
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by tunde1200(m): 7:04am On May 17, 2010
bee444 its like you read my mind about yoruba movies all there story base on babalawos always . my question is it every things that hapen have one thing or the other to do with babalawos, im tired of this poor director and producers in yoruba film. plz dont mine those people with insultive statement and jagons they are jahili people.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Krayola(m): 2:09pm On May 17, 2010
I doubt it's the directors or producers that write the scripts or dictate the story-line . . . undecided

u might wanna direct ur frustrations elsewhere
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by ziga: 2:13pm On May 17, 2010
@OP

Movies are fiction, and if the way babalawos are being promoted is affecting your way of life/beliefs, then stop watching them.

BTW, i should warn you that you find lots of fetish ideologies in most foreign horror movies, and English nollywood movies too. So you better exclude them from your list also.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by OAM4J: 2:26pm On May 17, 2010
OP

You get choice nao!

Me i even think is better now than before, I mean compare to the days of aworo & fadeyi oloro films with those heavy incantations

Then most of the films only involve warfares of communal hunters and some witches and wizards.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by GNS202(m): 2:28pm On May 17, 2010
What is Bee444 talking about, let me tell you, every movie in the world has got it's own culture, the American are often use to sex & gun. while the Chinese and india are good example of music and confuuuuuuu !!!! Can you compare Nigeria Eng movie & Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba, they are unique and real compare to the eng movie we do here in 9ja
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by gidson12(m): 2:30pm On May 17, 2010
the poster is right, me don tire to watch babalawo stuffs, cant we just atleast pretend that we a civilized for ones
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by eros(m): 2:34pm On May 17, 2010
Can't comment here. So much hate and sentiment over babalawo's or no babalawo's. Hmmmm!!!! I see there are some people who worship sango, ogun and obatala here. I don't want anybody evoking any demonic spirit on me because of my comment. Jor oooooooooo  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

***On to the next thread***
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by gidson12(m): 2:36pm On May 17, 2010
GNS202:

What is Bee444 talking about,  let me tell you, every movie in the world has got it's own culture,  the American are often use to intimacy & gun. while the Chinese and india are good example of music and confuuuuuuu !!!! Can you compare Nigeria Eng movie & Igbo, Hausa & Yoruba,  they are unique and real compare to the eng movie we do here in 9ja

so u are proud to have babalawo stuffs as ur culture undecided, abeg go sit down the dynamic nature of culture makes us civilized, we cant imprison ourselves in such sh.i.t and call it culture joo
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Kennyblues(m): 2:45pm On May 17, 2010
bee444 you are left with choice of either watch the yoruba home video or settle for the recycle english home vide, the choice is yours
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 17, 2010
i'm pretty sure op has no problems with 90% of english nollywood speaking movies which are basially evangelist media - where all problem are solved by prayer sessions in church etal- and the emphasis on religion is beyond palpable
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Princek12(m): 2:49pm On May 17, 2010
Movies showcase arts & culture, and if watching Yoruba movies enrages you as much as you proclaim, why don't you do yourself a favor by not watching them.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Orikinla(m): 2:51pm On May 17, 2010
Yorùbá  movies are among the best vehicles of promoting Yorùbá Arts and Culture.
Can there be an Ifá without Babalawo?
Or can there be a Yorùbá tradition without Ifá?

with love from
YORÙBÁ DICTIONARY

by Pamela Smith Ph.D & Adebusola Onayemi FRCPC
http://www.yorubadictionary.com/
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by eros(m): 2:53pm On May 17, 2010
Jor oooo poster take cover and bind and lose all these people attacking you left, right and center.

Emi o le gbe sango lo si church ooooo.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 17, 2010
i think the poster's main grouse is the lack of diversity in the movies under discussion.

as in always the same theme and storyline.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by maxtop(m): 3:12pm On May 17, 2010
LWKMD, grin grin grin cry Dis poster don vex. Abeg i wan go weewee 1st.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by kemisuga(f): 3:35pm On May 17, 2010
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by VALIDATOR: 3:40pm On May 17, 2010
A typical Nigerian does not like reasoning to solve problems. Whenever there is a pressing problem,appealing to the power of superstition/magic it's all the same whether african/european/arabic/asian,etc is what a typical Nigerian does. It is only common sense that if you as a producer/director of a movie wants to sell to the public,you flow with the public.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 3:54pm On May 17, 2010
Orikinla:

Yorùbá  movies are among the best vehicles of promoting[b] Yorùbá[/b] Arts and Culture.
Can there be an Ifá without Babalawo?
Or can there be a Yorùbá tradition without Ifá?

with love from
YORÙBÁ DICTIONARY

by Pamela Smith Ph.D & Adebusola Onayemi FRCPC
http://www.yorubadictionary.com/

Mere looking at your name, and the way you decorate your ifa and Yoruba with your mark clearly tells the kind of person you are.

If i'm not mistaken, you belong to the deities!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 17, 2010
^^^

jjc yarning op. not everyone is close minded cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

don't get our resident writer riled - he'll strat by correcting your 'mistaking' cheesy
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 17, 2010
I made a post about this a long while ago but i cant find it out right now.

True talk Op, a bunch of these Yoruba Movies promote alot of JUJU. I really detest alot of them and look at the way AIT even flash some of the previews of these JUJU films like they are the best that has ever come out of Nigeria. rubbish! angry
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by bee444: 4:08pm On May 17, 2010
Krayola:

I doubt it's the directors or producers that write the scripts or dictate the story-line . . .  undecided

u might wanna direct your frustrations elsewhere

Producers own and finance movies my dear. They don't have to write the script but can alter them. Some producers even go on to direct same movie. Producers are to blame!
Re: Why Do Yoruba Movies Promote Babalawos? by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 17, 2010
*****just passing by*****

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are Your Reasons For Not Going To Church Today? / YouTube Needs Prayers – Prophet TB Joshua (Video) / The Making of GRACE CONVENTION 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.