Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,396 members, 7,954,574 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:09 PM

What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed (17948 Views)

Left Handed People Evil? / Left Handed People: Whats So Special About Them! / Left Handed People Are more Intelligent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Bletherer: 10:11pm On May 18, 2010
----------
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by yemivictor: 10:11pm On May 18, 2010
Henry46:

Left handed guys are no doubt more gifted compared to  right handed guys, reason? I definately cann't tell. I PROMISE MYSELF THAT ALL MY CHILDREND MUST BE LEFT HANDED.

That's just sentiment.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by CarlosVent(m): 10:41pm On May 18, 2010
notin is wrong bt sometimes let dem do d hand odas do
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ChinenyeN(m): 10:48pm On May 18, 2010
Bletherer, that's not how it happens in my culture, but I guess that's how it is with others'.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by shadrach77: 11:02pm On May 18, 2010
morpheus24:

Left handedness has a lot to do with the way the brain functions and is linked to people who have very creative minds. it is alos a rare occurence

Presidents James A. Garfield (1831-1881) 20th
Herbert Hoover (1874-1964) 31st
Harry S. Truman (1884-1972) 33rd
Gerald Ford (1913- ) 38th
Ronald Reagan (1911 - ) 40th
George H.W. Bush (1924- ) 41st
Bill Clinton (1946- ) 42nd
Barack Obama (1961- ) 44th

People in history
Joan of Arc (?), French heroine
Ramses II (?), Egyptian pharaoh
Tiberius (?), Roman emperor
Alexander the Great
Charlemagne, Holy Roman emperor
Julius Caesar, Roman general
Napoléon Bonaparte (?), French emperor
Josephine de Beauharnais
King Louis XVI of France
Queen Victoria of England
King George II of England
King George VI of England
Prince Charles of England
Prince William of England
Fidel Castro, Cuban leader
Benjamin Netanyahu, Israeli prime-minister
Ehud Olmert, Israeli prime-minister
Nicole d'Oresme, mathematician
Henry Ford, automobile manufacturer
David Rockefeller, banker
Dwight F. Davis, founder of the Davis Cup in tennis
Helen Keller, advocate for the blind
John F. Kennedy, Jr., lawyer/publisher
Caroline Kennedy, lawyer/author
Ron Reagan, son of Ronald Reagan
Vin Scully, sports broadcaster
David Letterman (?), host
Jay Leno, host

Actors

Don Adams
Dan Aykroyd
Eddie Albert
Tim Allen
June Allyson
Harry Anderson
Amitabh Bachchan, Indian actor
Herschel Bernardi
Robert Blake
Matthew Broderick

Ruth Buzzi, comedienne
Keith Carradine
Khaled Chahrour, Egyptian actor
Charlie Chaplin
George Gobel, comedian
Chuck Conners
Hans Conreid
James Cromwell
Tom Cruise
Quinn Cummings
Daniel Davis
Bruce Davison
Matt Dillon
Marty Engles, comedian
Olivia de Havilland
Robert DeNiro
Michael Dorn
Fran Drescher, comedian
Richard Dreyfuss
W.C. Fields
Larry Fine ? (of the Three Stooges)
Peter Fonda
Greta Garbo
Terri Garr
Paul Michael Glaser
Whoopie Goldberg
Betty Grable
Cary Grant
Peter Graves
Mark Hamill
Rex Harrison
Goldie Hawn
Joey Heatherton
Tippi Hedren
Jim Henson, puppetteer
Kermit the Frog
Rock Hudson
Angelina Jolie
Shirley Jones ?
Gabe Kaplan
Danny Kaye
Diane Keaton
George Kennedy
Nicole Kidman
Lisa Kudrow
Michael Landon
Hope Lange
Joey Lawrence
Peter Lawford
Cloris Leachman
Hal Linden
Cleavon Little
Shirley MacLaine
Andrew McCarthy
Kristy McNichol
Steve McQueen
Howie Mandel, comedian
Marcel Marceau, mime
Harpo Marx
Marsha Mason
Mary Stuart Masterson
Anne Meara, comedian
Sasha Mitchell
Marilyn Monroe
Robert Morse
Anthony Newley
Kim Novak
Ryan O'Neal
Sarah Jessica Parker
Estelle Parsons
Anthony Perkins
Ron Perlman
Luke Perry
Bronson Pinchot
Joe Piscopo, comedian
Robert Preston
Michael J. Pollard
Richard Pryor, comedian
Robert Redford
Keanu Reeves
Don Rickles, comedian
Julia Roberts
Mickey Rourke
Eva Marie Saint
Telly Savalas
Jean Seberg
Jerry Seinfeld, comedian
Christian Slater
manliness Smothers, comedian
Brent Spiner
Slyvester Stallone ?
Terence Stamp
Jessica Steen
Rod Steiger
Alan Thicke
Terry Thomas, comedian
Emma Thompson
Rip Torn
Peter Ustinov
Brenda Vaccaro
Karen Valentine
Rudy Vallee
manliness Van Dyke
Graham Walker a.k.a. Grumbleweeds, English comedian
Wil Wheaton
James Whitmore
Treat Williams
Bruce Willis
William Windom
Oprah Winfrey
Mare Winningham
Joanne Woodward
Keenan Wynn
Chris tucker
is it funny that those who compiled this list did not deem it fit to include David Cameron in the list?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by chi9ja(f): 11:05pm On May 18, 2010
ABEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE all those left hand business was in my grand mothers time, no body bothers wit dat now.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 18, 2010
I was actually left handed. I was beaten out of it, I remember being told that the left hand is of the devil and the right hand is of the child of God. Tormented me, I wanted to go to heaven grin grin

I think ppl are misguided because of a lil line in the bible that talked about the right hand of God.

But after a while, I tried to re-learn writing with my left hand, not possible. Abeg, left-handed men are sexy jor. . . . sth abt left hand, just too sexy! [This does not pertain to Nigerian men, if you're ugly, you're ugly. Left hand wont help that]
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by slap1(m): 11:25pm On May 18, 2010
The girl I lof most is a lefty: a pack of beauty and brains. Neva told her b4, but I envy her left- handedness; makes her unique!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by aieromon(m): 11:26pm On May 18, 2010
I was never persecuted for usin' my left hand while growin' up.I use the hand to do all things except shake hands.
Funny enough,being left-handed affected my learning to drive and handling tools especially the knife.
My supervisor almost ate my head while i was carryin' out my project work.He just didn't understand why i should use my left hand to inject lab mice(presumption that the left hand is weak,useless and only good for wiping the behind).
My dad never let anyone beat me and i didn't know how odd it was till i entered boarding school.
Right now,am eating with my left hand.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by mrofficial(m): 11:34pm On May 18, 2010
FL Gators:

I was actually left handed. I was beaten out of it, I remember being told that the left hand is of the devil and the right hand is of the child of God. Tormented me, I wanted to go to heaven grin grin

I think ppl are misguided because of a lil line in the bible that talked about the right hand of God.

But after a while, I tried to re-learn writing with my left hand, not possible. Abeg, left-handed men are sexy jor. . . . sth abt left hand, just too sexy! [This does not pertain to Nigerian men, if you're ugly, you're ugly. Left hand wont help that]

Why not cut it off? grin grin grin Abi why i go dey carry devil with me.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by totalfact(m): 11:45pm On May 18, 2010
which culture are you talking about!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by youngmonie: 11:47pm On May 18, 2010
it snt badd, I actually use both handss, but more of my left handd, learning to drive was a bitt iffyy, buh i gues im gud noww
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by touchmeder: 11:48pm On May 18, 2010
i rmb sth that hapd while we were in school then, my friend and i both walked out of the library he was left handed. he gave the books he wanted to borrow to the librarian with his left hand(which was perfectly normal to him). the librarian shouted at him and told him he was not only being disrespectful but should take note he was not part of my friends circle. i was abit confused by his last statment and when my friend had calmed down i found out later that it meant the librarian taught my friend was in cult and was trying to identify with a fellow cult person by using his left hand.
totally weird huh

i also rmb buying things when i was younger and paying money with my left hand and the traders refusing to collect the money just cos it ws given with my left hand,
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by shilling(f): 11:57pm On May 18, 2010
Is that still being done in Nigeria - parents hating on left handed kids? That happened to a friend's sister years ago when I was a little kid, thout it'd have stopped by now.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by dayokanu(m): 12:05am On May 19, 2010
But after a while, I tried to re-learn writing with my left hand, not possible. Abeg, left-handed men are sexy jor. . . . sth abt left hand, just too sexy!

Must everything be s3x for you? Why u too like s3x?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 12:07am On May 19, 2010
shocked cry sad
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by SLIGHT(m): 12:22am On May 19, 2010
I experienced so many scolding of my left handed folks when i was little, most of them became somewhat ambidextrous as a result.Left handers are really gifted in the arts especially when it comes to drawing.Though i am right handed, i noticed my lefthand hardly missed a target when i was in school so i took advantage of it. I cause quite a lot of damage then.But nw am cautious so as not to put my self in soup
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Faher(m): 12:27am On May 19, 2010
eldee:

I'm likely to have at least one left-handed kid.
My grandad was left-handed, my dad is too . . . I got it too, so it's kinda dominant in my genes.

I don't seem to have it in my genes. But since most of my intelligent friends are left handed, and my professors too, I'll be glad to have left handed children.

Infact nowadays, when I see a left handed person, I just immediately assume he/she's a genius.

Our parents take gift from God as devilish? smh
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ose123: 12:40am On May 19, 2010
You definately can't give an elder something with your left-hand. Its a complete taboo based on this so-called culture. grin grin grin ;
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by rasputinn(m): 12:50am On May 19, 2010
Personally,I find left-handed sistas very sexy lipsrsealed
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ChinenyeN(m): 1:02am On May 19, 2010
Seems to me you all are making this out to be much more than what it really is, and you seem to be vexing the wrong thing. To properly understand this, you'd have to also understand that there are two aspects to this issue.
1) Culture -- As a simple matter of cultural courtesy, transactions are carried out with the right hand (or both the right and left hands). Doing otherwise is seen as disrespectful/insulting. Similar to how not using two hands for transactions, in Japan, is considered insulting/disrespectful.
2) Actual hand orientation -- Being left-handed/right-handed is a different issue.

People are typically scolded for violating the first aspect. The second aspect is typically a non-issue. . . Well, at least, that's how it is in my culture. For us, people are not scolded for simply being left handed. They're scolded for violating a norm of cultural courtesy.

Maybe, for other groups, people are scolded for being left-handed. Now, if that (people being scolded for being left-handed) is what you all are vexing, then I would understand. What I wouldn't uderstand though, would be you all are vexing the norm of cultural courtesy. So which is it? Which one are you all vexing?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by kyle07: 1:41am On May 19, 2010
Permit me to say this, it was never a crime to use your left hand were i grow up. But i would like to advice that everyone should make it a point of duty to master the use of both hands that is ambidextrous it will help a lot .
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by WhyAWhy(m): 2:29am On May 19, 2010
Hmm,  this is sounding interesting, , rushes out to get canned coke(with right hand), holds popcorn(with left hand),
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 2:37am On May 19, 2010
WhyAWhy:

Hmm,  this is sounding interesting, , rushes out to get canned coke(with right hand), holds popcorn(with left hand),
grin
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Outstrip(f): 2:49am On May 19, 2010
It is ignorance. What trips me is when I see educated people forcing their children to use thier right hand when they are clearly left handed. People perish from lack of knowledge
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Tanwinjin(m): 2:50am On May 19, 2010
I don't know oh.

Me, I jerk-off with my left hand better than with my right hand.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 2:51am On May 19, 2010
Outstrip:

It is ignorance. What trips me is when I see educated people forcing their children to use thier right hand when they are clearly left handed. People perish from lack of knowledge
I agree with you, it can be ignorant. But what what do we lose or gain by it to perish from it?

And you need to take into acct that culture also plays a role
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by supereagle(m): 4:33am On May 19, 2010
My son uses left hand . I encouraged him. He is very intelligent about two years now.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Princek12(m): 4:41am On May 19, 2010
The goats shall be placed on the left side, while the sheeps shall be placed on the right side. On which side would you rather be?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by supereagle(m): 4:51am On May 19, 2010
Princek12, what is the relevant of that passage of the Bible to the discussion at hand?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by nellaluv(f): 4:54am On May 19, 2010
yes, using your left-hand is a taboo and sign of disrespect from where i come from; at least i smacked and cautioned for using my left hand not once but many times.
@ poster do u use ur left hand to wipe ur azz, lol, just asking
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by OgidiBoy(m): 4:58am On May 19, 2010
nellaluv:

yes, using your left-hand is a taboo and sign of disrespect from where i come from; at least i smacked and cautioned for using my left hand not once but many times.
@ poster do u use your left hand to wipe your azz, lol, just asking

ewwwwwwwww why would you ask such a question sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Nigerian Language Is The Easiest To Learn? / Oba Lawrence Adetemi Omowole Is Dead / Ooni Commences Beautification Of 201 Shrines, Heritage Monuments In Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.