Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,990 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed (17633 Views)

Left Handed People Evil? / Left Handed People: Whats So Special About Them! / Left Handed People Are more Intelligent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 11:58am On May 19, 2010
i was born left-handed. but my parents made me learn to use my right-hand from child hood. This made me to be ambidextrous.
d reason, they said left-handed people tend to be sluggish with activities. they still made fun of me once in a while, especially my mum, lol.

i really don't know why the bias is towards left-handed folks. to me, d most gifted folks ever are left-handed (check out Obama, Messi,  fashola, Rivaldo,etc).
still confused 'bout it,
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by frank317: 12:08pm On May 19, 2010
The right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body while the left hemisphere controls the activities of the right body parts. Weather u are left handed or right handed depends on which part of the brain hemisphere that is more developd wit regards to the use of the hands. Now the development of either parts determin your thinkin pattern. I know people with developed right(lefties) are better in abstract reasoning ie they are more creative and think outside the box. Right hander have their own advantage(cant go into details now). The problem now is, if a child is left handed(wit developd right hemisphere) and he is forcd 2 b right handed, d left hemisiphere is forced to develop and this ends up in premature development and the supposed developd right hemisphere is left untappd. The child ends up not actualizin his full potential or better said 'is stuck in d middle' therefore he becomes an average individual. I have tried xplainin this 2 a lot of people both educated and uneducated but their belive in our culture wins at the end of d day.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Freiburger(m): 12:14pm On May 19, 2010
kemisuga:

@ nellaluv - is okay, but all the ones I know, have good hand writings.

Why are market women/men concerned when customers touched their goods/products with their left hand? They believed left hand will bring bad luck to their sales.

Imagine that. grin grin grin grin. Superstitious way of thinking that leads to backwardness.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by mykali(m): 12:16pm On May 19, 2010
i was born right handed and used my right hand till Transition class(nursery 3) where i met a very good friend who was a lefty
you know what i did? i inflicted my right hand with a terrible injury so i would be forced to learn to write with my left
my mom, dad, teachers and everybody scolded me about it (although they didn't know i injured myself) especially because of the religious implications . . .but i didn't care
now, my right hand is so useless to me when i need to write fast/properly
and i'm so happy to be left handed
will surely imbibe the trait in my kids . . .but won't force them to do against their will

1 Like

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Sidauna: 12:19pm On May 19, 2010
@poster

Wrong?  There is absolutely nothing wrong with lefties!  Indeed it is said that if it is true (and it is) that the LEFT side of the brain controls the RIGHT side of the body, then only LEFT handed people are in their RIGHT senses!  See what I mean?
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by proudly9ja(m): 12:35pm On May 19, 2010
lol@left handed people are creative , people are creative whether left or right handed!

If you name one thousand left handed, creative people, I can name a million right handed creative people too.

That is not to say that I support that left handed people should be forced to change hands or looked down on in anyway.

Our culture back home probably have this bias towards right hands simply because the left hand is assumed to be the one used for 'dirty' things e.g wiping your butt, picking up dirt from the floor, etc and to me this makes perfect sense. Whether we like it or not, one hand should be dedicated for stuff like this especially considering that it is also not a norm in our culture to wash hands after doing the number one or two (?)
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by gmailer: 12:37pm On May 19, 2010
my kid brother is left-handed, initially people advised my parents
to force him to change his orientation, but thank God my parents didn't yield.
cos he turned out to be the most-skillful one in the house, can play lots of instruments and dude has a very good hand-writing.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 12:49pm On May 19, 2010
Pain:

I wonder why the human mind is so easy to manipulate with just a little dose of information.

Has any one here pondered a little to come up with the Endless list of Successful Right Handed People?

The list of Left handed US Presidents is made up of only 8 out of 44 a mere 18%

You can carry out further statistics if you have the time and skills, but may I ask? Where is George Washington? Was Einstein Left Handed? Was Isaac Newton L.H?, Was Max Planck? etc

The Point is that you we have both dumb and brilliant lads on both "Sides of the Arm"

Enough of This. Besides, Im Ambidextrous, and I dont think im a Genius. Im just brilliant.

Actually, the percentage of left-handed people is estimated to be 10%.

Furthermore, if you consider the last 80 years, 50% of the US presidents have been left-handed, including one ambidextrous president. Recent history, in this discourse, is more relevant than ancient history when being left-handed had negative connotations in nearly all the cultures of the world.

Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Flakky26(f): 12:56pm On May 19, 2010
@ Poster,
                             There is absolutely nothing wrong with being  left handed.The Lord that created both hands knows what He was doing when He did, And the bible says that all that He created is good, So the use of the left hand is very good.My daughter who is a year and half has the tendencies to be be left handed and I am not going to stop her and she is so intelligent and blessed,
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by vanariso(m): 12:57pm On May 19, 2010
You are all concluding that left handed people are more creative.But I guess u guys are missing the point.Its always like that with clues.You only see what the designer wishes/wants you to see .

Whatever u guys say,Muslims will always beleive that mastery of the left hand is synonymous / tantamount to devil and his cohorts-demons.

So if all these people are increasing in number,then the devil and his cohorts are taking over and the world is coming to an end, my perspective pls, my conclusion pls, no hard feelings to all the lefties in da house.
Peace
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ChinenyeN(m): 12:59pm On May 19, 2010
Bletherer:

which culture are you from?
it'll be interesting to know which cultures frown upon it.
also it seems to me that both aspects you mentioned go hand in hand. excuse the pun couldnt help it grin grin
Ngwa-Igbo is my culture. For us, using the left hand for transactions (giving/receiving) is frowned upon, but actually being left-handed is not considered a problem. Of course though, both aspects are connected, but they can still be, and indeed still are separate issues.

Bletherer:

Please explain, if your child is a leftie then he she will be forced to use the wrong hand when dining, and for what reason?? how come they can do other things with the left but not dine with you.
Culture isn't always, or even typically, about logic. For example, in my culture, we have a saying, "the left hand is closest to the anus" (we'll ignore the proverbial meaning and focus only on the literal meaning, being that the left hand typically does the butt-wiping after going to toilet). Now, through the literal meaning of this saying, I can see and understand the existence of that norm of cultural courtesy. I can draw a connection between the two. As in, it is an insult to carry out transactions (giving/receiving) with the left hand, because the left hand is closest to the anus (and of course, no one wants an "anussed" hand, obviously). For whatever reason though, the left hand can still be used for virtually all other things and no one makes a fuss about it, even though the left hand is still considered to be [more] "anussed".

For example, left-handed carpenters will work with their left hand, and in my culture, people will still take their product. Left-handed cooks will cook with their left hand, and in my culture, people will still eat their food. A left-handed person can even pick up something with his/her left hand and use their right hand to hand it to someone else, and still no one makes anything out of it. So, as you can see, culture really isn't about logic (because if it were, people in my culture would also have to refuse anything touched by the left hand, but that isn't the case). So you're basically wasting your time asking the above question.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 19, 2010
silly and foolish Africa mentality there is nothing wrong with left hand . My son is one and i noticed he used is left hand most of the time and i won't stop him and  i won't allow anybody to stop him
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 1:10pm On May 19, 2010
vanariso:

You are all concluding that left handed people are more creative.But I guess u guys are missing the point.Its always like that with clues.You only see what the designer wishes/wants you to see .

Whatever u guys say,Muslims will always beleive that mastery of the left hand is synonymous / tantamount to devil and his cohorts-demons.

So if all these people are increasing in number,then the devil and his cohorts are taking over and the world is coming to an end, my perspective pls, my conclusion pls, no hard feelings to all the lefties in da house.
Peace

@vanariso,

No problem, believe whatever you like, even believe that the moon is inside the sun - who cares? But please:

1. Do not kill those who do not share your beliefs.
2. Do not kill those who were born into Muslim families but later decided to abandon your Islam for another religion.

If Muslims like you can agree with these simple points, then Islam's very negative image may be salvageable.

Stop killing those who disagree with you!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Jids(m): 1:30pm On May 19, 2010
Thanks for this thread, my 2 boys are left handed, I was about to stop them but when I read this thread and an article on independent newspaper (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/public-school-to-discuss-new-exams-for-lefthanders-1975595.html ) I changed my mind and just have to start encouraging them with their writtings
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by justwise(m): 1:58pm On May 19, 2010
I use both hands thoug more of left. My family tried all they could to beat me off using my left hand but it did not work.
I don't write with my left hand but i do other things with it.

I don't even believe in all that nonsense abt left handed pple being evil or stuff
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Greycells(m): 2:23pm On May 19, 2010
Left handed. Forced to use right. Now ambidextrous, and simply enjoying it.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by eldee(m): 2:25pm On May 19, 2010
Pain:

I wonder why the human mind is so easy to manipulate with just a little dose of information.

Has any one here pondered a little to come up with the Endless list of Successful Right Handed People?

The list of Left handed US Presidents is made up of only 8 out of 44 a mere 18%

You can carry out further statistics if you have the time and skills, but may I ask? Where is George Washington? Was Einstein Left Handed? Was Isaac Newton L.H?, Was Max Planck? etc

The Point is that you we have both dumb and brilliant lads on both "Sides of the Arm"

Enough of This. Besides, Im Ambidextrous, and I dont think im a Genius. Im just brilliant.

Only 5% of people of age fifty are left handed.
Now compare that to your stats . . . and remember that most US Presidents get the post in their fifties.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by asas(f): 2:27pm On May 19, 2010
got a personal experience in nursery my teacher used to make my class mates laf @ me cuz i was left handed
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by kcreal(f): 2:29pm On May 19, 2010
There is nothing wrong in being left handed. My mum is left handed, my brother and sister were forced to change from left to right hand when they were little.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ChinenyeN(m): 2:30pm On May 19, 2010
If NL were our sample population, then the conclusion would be that Nigeria has a statistically unusually high amount of left-handed people. In short, one would be made to believe that right-handed people are actually a minority. Interesting, really. . . that is, if people here aren't lying in their posts.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Iyineda(m): 2:34pm On May 19, 2010
The worst part is when you get yeld at because you handed over something with your. . . LEFT hand. Wth?
At the PH airport, some security guy asked me - unpleasantly - to hand over my passport. I did so with my left hand and mind you he threw it back at me and shouted at me, in front of my mum. I was 18 at the time.
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by chic2pimp(m): 2:57pm On May 19, 2010
ChinenyeN:

If NL were our sample population, then the conclusion would be that Nigeria has a statistically unusually high amount of left-handed people. In short, one would be made to believe that right-handed people are actually a minority. Interesting, really. . . that is, if people here aren't lying in their posts.
My thoughts exactly!!!!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by semid4lyfe(m): 3:16pm On May 19, 2010
Right hand, Left hand. . .no biggie! It's all good though. I'm completely right-handed and completely Left-footed (as per football. . .in fact, I can hardly use my right leg). Does that mean my hands are wired to the right side of my brain and my legs are wired to the left? undecided grin
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Wordsmith(m): 3:22pm On May 19, 2010
you can as well add 'Smith to the list. was left-handed as a child, still is left-handed. thank God my father and mom didn't change my hands, even when i used to sketch them Batman and Superman comics as a kid. at least they didn't bow down to pressure from them "ara ile". can't imagine myself being right-handed cheesy tongue
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 3:59pm On May 19, 2010
Iyineda:

The worst part is when you get yeld at because you handed over something with your. . . LEFT hand. Wth?
At the PH airport, some security guy asked me - unpleasantly - to hand over my passport. I did so with my left hand and mind you he threw it back at me and shouted at me, in front of my mum. I was 18 at the time.

Sorry o!

That's an example of the many barbarians pretending to be humans scattered all over Nigeria. Why won't God just rid Nigeria of all these animals in human skin?

That security man is an a$$hole! If it was me, I would have spat on his ugly face! Bunch of retards in uniform!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 4:00pm On May 19, 2010
eldee:

Only 5% of people of age fifty are left handed.
Now compare that to your stats . . . and remember that most US Presidents get the post in their fifties.

eldee,

Thank you for narrowing down the demographics for proper comparison. Kudos!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by mafolayomi(f): 4:00pm On May 19, 2010
grin grin grin. olowo osi kondoro.  as a matter of fact i use  2  be a lefty, but dis was changed by my late dad. and no wonder am a bad writer, may God 4give him
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by Cohomology: 4:13pm On May 19, 2010
Jids:

Thanks for this thread, my 2 boys are left handed, I was about to stop them but when I read this thread and an article on independent newspaper (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/public-school-to-discuss-new-exams-for-lefthanders-1975595.html ) I changed my mind and just have to start encouraging them with their writtings

Good job!

Don't allow our backward culture make you hinder the development of your children.

I was born left-handed and my parents gave me all the support. I only had some problems with a few non-relatives (visitors to our home) who I gave glass cups with my left hand. I made sure I never greeted them again or run any errands on their behalf until they came to terms with the fact that God made me left-handed and I wasn't going to change it. They all later apologized and everything was cool. I was quite the stubborn lad back in the day.

School? I had no competition in school. Came 1st from Primary 1 to SSS 3. Laid WAEC and JAMB to waste. Left Nigeria and graduated summa cum laude from a top engineering school and got a PhD from another top engineering school in the states. My MIT-trained advisor was also left-handed!

There is nothing wrong in being left-handed. Except in backward cultures and despicable religions!
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by ChinenyeN(m): 4:36pm On May 19, 2010
Cohomology seems to be on a mission. . . cheesy
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by lastpage: 4:53pm On May 19, 2010
I wish l could be left-handed sef! Even left-legged (like dat useless Van Persi @Arsenal grin )

Naaah, nothing "trips' me more than a left-handed lady (Walahi, I will just be smitten yakataa! kiss )

Nowadays, we 've gone past that level of "superstition".
Left, right and centre-handed, JUST HAVE A HAND! grin grin

BTW: Why cant folks make a resolution to post without all those "foul languages", just for one day? angry
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by omimi(f): 5:08pm On May 19, 2010
Well, i am ambidexterous, going up, my dad did not want me to use my left hand for anything, he forced me into using the right, luckily for him, he succeeded, but i can still use both hands though he still does not like it. to some extent, it did not affect my performance
Re: What Is So Wrong With Being Left Handed by xtremeidea(m): 5:11pm On May 19, 2010
NOT TRU!!!

I LOVE SEEING LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE, ITZ COOL, SOMETIMES I WISH I WAS ONE!!! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Was Mansa-musa Really A Great Man? / Lagos (eko) Who Owns It? / Prof. Paul Okumagba Crowned As Orosuen Of Okere Urhobo Warri, Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.