Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? (2877 Views)

I Kissed A Friend Accidentally Now I Feel Guilty / Guys Will You Take Back Your Gift After A Break-up / When You're On A Break Is It Ok To Sleep With Someone Else? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 12:22pm On May 19, 2010
I talked about the guy older than I am that wanted to walk away because of the age difference 12 years older, and I had to talk to him that age should not be a problem. He decided to stay. After some months, weeks, he said he is considering a break because of some misunderstandings we've had. I asked him if it was a way of walking out again, he said no he just wants a break to decide if it's something he could deal with or not.

What am I supposed to do now or should do. I am hurt but you cannot force someone to stay when they don't want to. Please I need opinions on these and do you think he would want to come back or would he miss me? Should I continue to keep in touch? Should I ask him, how long this break would last so I know the outcome or just keep silent about the whole thing? Please I need answers

P.s it's barely 3 months we've been dating.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 19, 2010
Honestly u r having too much problem with this guy. I think the break is a good idea!
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by petebor02(m): 12:47pm On May 19, 2010
Uju watz up?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 12:50pm On May 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

Honestly u r having too much problem with this guy. I think the break is a good idea!

I would say the problems started when he talked about the age difference being a concern to him but we have been good. Just some misunderstandings in which I over react. How about during the course of this break, he finds someone else or his feelings completely diminish?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by petebor02(m): 12:53pm On May 19, 2010
@poster, i think you have to read in between lines.cos it seems he has a certain reasons unknown to u.and if he so insist just let him go cos i think there is nothing u go do to convince him.and for sure a guy can convince a lady when she seems feed-up in a relationship but the lady cant cut an ice.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 12:58pm On May 19, 2010
Ask him how long the break is to last. A guy who isn't acting like a girl would tell U how long. If he's not bitter or looking for time to paly around, keeping U on ice, he'll tell U.

I feel he still thinks a big deal of the age difference, and that myt be as a result of Ur misunderstandings. 12 years is no joke. It takes a lot of maturity on the part of both parties to really meet each other half way to make this kind of relationship work. means U have to conduct Urself as though u are at least 6years younger and he conduct himself as though he is six years younger. that's just the starting point.

Maturity is not a function of age. I've recently dated a girl 11years younger than I am and she conducted herself better than girls that were just two years younger than I am.

You should talk with Ur guy and ask him to come clean. Don't act in desperation. Just put it at the back of Ur head that U myt have to let go of him if it comes to that. being needy never had appeal with most people in matters of the heart.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 1:03pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

Ask him how long the break is to last. A guy who isn't acting like a girl would tell U how long. If he's not bitter or looking for time to paly around, keeping U on ice, he'll tell U.

I feel he still thinks a big deal of the age difference, and that myt be as a result of your misunderstandings. 12 years is no joke. It takes a lot of maturity on the part of both parties to really meet each other half way to make this kind of relationship work. means U have to conduct Urself as though u are at least 6years younger and he conduct himself as though he is six years younger. that's just the starting point.

Maturity is not a function of age. I've recently dated a girl 11years younger than I am and she conducted herself better than girls that were just two years younger than I am.

You should talk with your guy and ask him to come clean. Don't act in desperation. Just put it at the back of your head that U myt have to let go of him if it comes to that. being needy never had appeal with most people in matters of the heart.

Do I ask him how long immediately because we discussed about this last night? And how else do I ask him without acting desperate or needy?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 1:16pm On May 19, 2010
U should have asked him immediately he told U. It's not to early. Sometimes the best way to keep something with U is to be a little indifferent about the possibility of loosing it, esp when it's starring U right in the face.

Ask him. Don't look like a looser when u do, if U are meeting hm in person, which is better. Look Ur best but in a subtle way.

When he tells U, keep away from him absolutely. No "Hi, I just want to check if u are doing fine" or any such lines.

Us the free time to add value to Ur life. and like I said, be ready to let go if he decides to break it off with U. it's not like U are married already so anything is possible.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by 28Schweet(f): 1:21pm On May 19, 2010
taking a break is as good as breaking up in my opinion,
i know it's unheard of with some naija girls, but had you already given him the forbidden fruit, resulting in why you cannot accept that he's looking to find someone else (general purpose of a break).
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 1:24pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

i know it's unheard of with some naija girls, but had you already given him the forbidden fruit, resulting in why you cannot accept that he's looking to find someone else (general purpose of a break).

So breaks always mean that the other partner is looking for someone else? And what is the forbidden fruit?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 1:26pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

U should have asked him immediately he told U. It's not to early. Sometimes the best way to keep something with U is to be a little indifferent about the possibility of loosing it, esp when it's starring U right in the face.

Ask him. Don't look like a looser when u do, if U are meeting hm in person, which is better. Look your best but in a subtle way.

When he tells U, keep away from him absolutely. No "Hi, I just want to check if u are doing fine" or any such lines.

Us the free time to add value to your life. and like I said, be ready to let go if he decides to break it off with U. it's not like U are married already so anything is possible.

I might not see him for some days now. I want to write a note and leave in his place, should I include in it asking how long he wants the break for or I should just text/ask him through the phone?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 1:30pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

It's more common for a girl to use breaks as an opportunity to go do what she wants than for a guy. Guys ask for breaks sometimes just because they need time to focus on some other thing that is affecting their lives and when a guy does he normally would tell U how long he needs it.

A girl on the other hand, wanting to eat her cake and have it, usually asks for a break when there's another guy she's deeply attracted to and would cross carpet if he just asked her to. She asks for a break, putting one leg in one boat and the other leg in the other waiting to decamp. It's just girlie want to eat Ur cake and have it. Not fair tho but guys grow to know better.

Lacrissa:

So breaks always mean that the other partner is looking for someone else? And what is the forbidden fruit?

No breaks don't always mean that especially if its a guy asking for it.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 1:32pm On May 19, 2010
Lacrissa:

I might not see him for some days now. I want to write a note and leave in his place, should I include in it asking how long he wants the break for or I should just text/ask him through the phone?

Chic, wait till U see him. This is not the time to write notes or send messages. Ur emotions myt push U to include more than U need to and if things turn sour, those things will make U feel worse.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by 28Schweet(f): 1:35pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

It's more common for a girl to use breaks as an opportunity to go do what she wants than for a guy. Guys ask for breaks sometimes just because they need time to focus on some other thing that is affecting their lives and when a guy does he normally would tell U how long he needs it.

A girl on the other hand, wanting to eat her cake and have it, usually asks for a break when there's another guy she's deeply attracted to and would cross carpet if he just asked her to. She asks for a break, putting one leg in one boat and the other leg in the other waiting to decamp. It's just girlie want to eat your cake and have it. Not fair tho but guys grow to know better.

No breaks don't always mean that especially if its a guy asking for it.  
 let me play the devils advocate, given her previous posts don't you think the guy is asking for a break to explore getting a more 'grown' up woman, if it was business, schooling or family related, she'd have an indication that the guy was under some form of stress and so him asking for a 'break' would be understandable.

Besides, why ask for a break from someone you supposedly have feelings for, if you're busy with other things, when that person could possible share the workload or give you a different perspective on things if you share information with them.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 1:37pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

Chic, wait till U see him. This is not the time to write notes or send messages. your emotions myt push U to include more than U need to and if things turn sour, those things will make U feel worse.

Ochendu I appreciate your words. I'm so hurt right now but not crying. I was thinking of sending him a text now he's at work to ask him how long. I don't know what to feel right now. Maybe if I have an idea on how long, it would be easier on me or follow what you said, asking how long when I see him again in person.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by 28Schweet(f): 1:43pm On May 19, 2010
Lacrissa:

so had you done the 'bedroom acrobatics' with him? for you to find it so hard to let go, it's only been three months shocked, how inlove could you have been in that time, lipsrsealed
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 1:44pm On May 19, 2010
Lacrissa:

Ochendu I appreciate your words. I'm so hurt right now but not crying. I was thinking of sending him a text now he's at work to ask him how long. I don't know what to feel right now. Maybe if I have an idea on how long, it would be easier on me or follow what you said, asking how long when I see him again in person.

U'l soon make me angry cos it seems Ur bent on getting urself a harder heartbreak than U seem to be on course to. DON'T SEND HIM ANYTHING! WAIT TILL U SEE HIM!!!
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 1:47pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

so had you done the 'bedroom acrobatics' with him? for you to find it so hard to let go, it's only been three months shocked, how inlove could you have been in that time, lipsrsealed

Ur talking as if most girls nowadays hold it for even a week. I no know wetin una dey find sef wey to hold body dey hard una. Una and una mumsies dey relate girl to girl at all?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Aproko(f): 1:50pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu, you just spoke my mind,

@ OP,

Please give him all the space he needs because your writing anything won't turn the situation around, at least not the way you are expecting. please let him be, as much as you can, try not to contact him at least for a while and in the interim, please do stuff that you love, meet new people whatever, just make sure you're occupied. if he really likes you, it wont take him long before he realizes.

take care dearie
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 1:51pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

U'l soon make me angry cos it seems your bent on getting urself a harder heartbreak than U seem to be on course to. DON'T SEND HIM ANYTHING! WAIT TILL U SEE HIM!!!

wow! ok I'll take your word for this, if this is the best thing at this point. I don't want to screw up.

28Schweet:

so had you done the 'bedroom acrobatics' with him? for you to find it so hard to let go, it's only been three months  shocked, how inlove could you have been in that time,   lipsrsealed

Is it only sex that makes one find it hard to let go?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

your talking as if most girls nowadays hold it for even a week. I no know wetin una dey find sef wey to hold body dey hard una. Una and una mumsies dey relate girl to girl at all?

Will you just Shut up? Please? Thank you!

Lacrissa:

You should have asked him how long he wanted the break immidiately he asked for it. But since you didn't, it's not wrong to ask immidiately.
It's not asign of desperation,you just need direction. You also need to find out exactly what the 'break' involves. Can you guys date other people?

A guy doesn't ask for a break after a misunderstanding except he was just looking for an excuse all along.

I know how hurt you must feel right now. Three months might seem like a short time to love someone so deeply but it's not!

But you might also want to consider the possibility that the r/ship is over . . for good! Like I said in my first post, maybe a break is really what you need.  undecided
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 1:55pm On May 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

, And U are?
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by 28Schweet(f): 1:57pm On May 19, 2010
[your talking as if most girls nowadays hold it for even a week. I no know wetin una dey find sef wey to hold body dey hard una. Una and una mumsies dey relate girl to girl at all?
[quote][/quote] i'm no naija-o, so you just confused the pigeon outta me,

@ Lacrissa, no it's not, but it's a major factor,
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

You talk as if s3x plays any role in how deeply you'll love someone. It doesn't! It only creates an illusion that a little distance/space will clear. Clearly she feels deeply for this guy and s3x has NOTHING to do with it!!
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 1:57pm On May 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

You should have asked him how long he wanted the break immidiately he asked for it. But since you didn't, it's not wrong to ask immidiately.
It's not asign of desperation,you just need direction. You also need to find out exactly what the 'break' involves. Can you guys date other people?

A guy doesn't ask for a break after a misunderstanding except he was just looking for an excuse all along.

I know how hurt you must feel right now. Three months might seem like a short time to love someone so deeply but it's not!

But you might also want to consider the possibility that the r/ship is over . . for good! Like I said in my first post, maybe a break is really what you need.  undecided

Thanks Ujujoan for understanding. I'm at his place right now, he's at work, wanted to leave before he gets back but I'm also considering waiting for him to get back from work then I can see him in person and ask him, then I leave immediately.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 2:00pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

U'l soon make me angry cos it seems your bent on getting urself a harder heartbreak than U seem to be on course to. DON'T SEND HIM ANYTHING! WAIT TILL U SEE HIM!!!

I'm at his place right now, maybe I should wait for him to return though I wanted to leave early so I could see him in person, ask him, then I could leave and somewhat move on.

28Schweet:

[your talking as if most girls nowadays hold it for even a week. I no know wetin una dey find sef wey to hold body dey hard una. Una and una mumsies dey relate girl to girl at all?
i'm no naija-o, so you just confused the pigeon outta me,

@ Lacrissa, no it's not, but it's a major factor,

I agree it is but sex or no sex, I did or do have feelings for him.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 19, 2010
Onchedu:

, And U are?

Just someone who gets offended when people like you open their mouth to condemn women based on how lousy their lives and they people they know are!
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by 28Schweet(f): 2:02pm On May 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

You talk as if s3x plays any role in how deeply you'll love someone. It doesn't! It only creates an illusion that a little distance/space will clear. Clearly she feels deeply for this guy and s3x has NOTHING to do with it!!

I suppose she's @ his place now, waiting to serve him tea when he gets home, if she didn't have full access to this house, i'd agree no intimacy took place.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 2:04pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

i'm no naija-o, so you just confused the pigeon outta me,

Ur most def not a naija babe. Ur mind gave u out.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

I suppose she's @ his place now, waiting to serve him tea when he gets home, if she didn't have full access to this house, i'd agree no intimacy took place.

And so what if it did take place? What exactly is the point you are trying to make?  undecided
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Lacrissa: 2:06pm On May 19, 2010
28Schweet:

Why are you emphasizing so much on the sex part?

@Ujujoan and Ochendu,
 He sent me a text now saying "he's sorry how things are going and he's sure I'm not thinking the best of him right now." I don't know if I need to reply this or ignore and If I should reply, what to say? If it's also a good time to ask him how long. I'm asking all these because of the state of my mind right now. Don't wanna make a silly mistake.
Re: What Do I Do Now I Am About Taking A Break? by Onchedu(m): 2:08pm On May 19, 2010
Lacrissa:

I'm at his place right now, maybe I should wait for him to return though I wanted to leave early so I could see him in person, ask him, then I could leave and somewhat move on.

Oh that's wonderful. Oya start writing him love poems about the good times and if U can burn a cd of his favorite songs and buy him a gift before he gets back. Hope U made him his favorite meal and have prepared his bath water?

Nonsense! Shey English language dey hard u well well for afternoon ehn? As e be say U wan cry oya wait make wetin U dey find jam U.
I don vex!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guys Wey Dey Wash Their Girlfriend Underwears / TABOO: 40-years-old Zimbabwean Mother Set To Marry Own Son / Are All Handsome Men Gay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.