Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,416 members, 7,836,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health (2491 Views)

To The Women Who Say It's Men's Job To Be Sole Provider... / 6 Reasons Having A High Body Count Is Bad For Men / "I Feel Bad For Men Who Have Never Date Non-Nigerian Ladies" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 21, 2018
Being the sole breadwinner is bad for a man's health - but BETTER for a woman's

US researchers followed the progress of more than 3,000 married people aged between 18 and 32 between 1997 and 2016
Cultural pressure on men to provide causes physical and mental damage
But women may approach breadwinning as an opportunity or choice
Being the breadwinner can damage men’s health – but it gives women a boost.

Researchers have found men’s well-being declines as they take on more financial responsibility in their marriage.

Their psychological and physical health tended to be at its worst during the years where they became their family’s sole breadwinner.

But taking on more financial responsibility had the opposite effect on women, who became happier the more they contributed and felt psychologically worse if their spouse was contributing more than they were.

For the University of Connecticut study, researchers followed the progress of more than 3,000 married people aged between 18 and 32 between 1997 and 2016.

Over the period, participants regularly had to answer questions on their emotional well-being and health, as well as detailing what income they had.

They found that during times when men were the sole breadwinner in their family, their psychological well-being scores were an average of 5 per cent lower than years when their partners contributed equally.
Men’s health scores were also 3.5 per cent lower on average when they were the sole breadwinner.

Professor Christin Munsch said: ‘A lot of what we know about how gender plays out in marriage focuses on the ways in which women are disadvantaged.

‘For example, women are more likely to be victims of domestic violence, and they still perform the lion's share of housework.

‘Our study contributes to a growing body of research that demonstrates the ways in which gendered expectations are harmful for men too.

'Men are expected to be breadwinners, yet providing for one's family with little or no help has negative repercussions.’
'Breadwinning women may feel a sense of pride, without worrying what others will say if they can't or don't maintain it.’

Although being a breadwinner improved women’s emotional health it had no impact on their physical health.

The researchers took into account several alternative explanations, including age, education, income, number of hours worked and whether or not the couple had children - but none of these other factors could explain their findings.

Prof Munsch said the results were good news as modern couples tended to share the burden of work and looking after the family.

She added: ‘Whereas men's psychological well-being and health tend to increase as their wives take on more economic responsibility, women's psychological well-being also improves as they take on more economic responsibility.’

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 21, 2018
Please don't kill yourself with burden because of ego.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by ubunja(m): 5:33pm On May 21, 2018
marriage is another bad deal for men.

1 Like

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 21, 2018
ubunja:

I'm telling you... don't kill yourself with burden because of ego..

women in civilized countries share bills and still submit to their husbands it's only in Nigeria that women equate sharing of bills to being unsubmissive.

1 Like

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by IamD18: 5:54pm On May 21, 2018
Yet some set of foooooooools will keep screaming feminism.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by adontcare(f): 6:24pm On May 21, 2018
Elder001:

women in civilized countries share bills and still submit to their husbands it's only in Nigeria that women equate sharing of bills to being unsubmissive.
it is only a black man mentality to carry all d burden all in d name of ' I don't want my wife to have money more than me' ish. When you and ur woman work, it ease d burden from u. Instead of fighting ur wife from working or trading, y not support her. Head of d family?

2 Likes

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 21, 2018
adontcare:
it is only a black man mentality to carry all d burden all in d name of ' I don't want my wife to have money more than me' ish. When you and ur woman work, it ease d burden from u. Instead of fighting ur wife from working or trading, y not support her. Head of d family?

Honestly I don't understand some Nigerian men.. some even stop their wives from working.
When your wife is working and contributing to the home the burden won't be much but in a situation were you want to be the sole provider all because of ego. some men think the only way they can sustain their ego or command unlimited respect they must be the sole provider.

Being the sole provider isn't good for a man's health.

Nobody should kill himself with heavy burden because of ego or head of the home myth.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Headlesschicken(m): 7:14pm On May 21, 2018
grin Makes u grow older than yuh age.... While yuh woman would be looking like yuh daughter...
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by ubunja(m): 7:28pm On May 21, 2018
Elder001:

marriage-wise nigerian women are a trainwreck. the crazy things they say this side in SA people make memes out of them and laugh till they piss themselves.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Saff(f): 7:42pm On May 21, 2018
ubunja:
then don’t get married. Is any body forcing you?

2 Likes

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by ubunja(m): 7:43pm On May 21, 2018
Saff:
then don’t get married. Is any body forcing you?
no one forced you to read my comment. take your own advice.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Adeyemi0(m): 7:44pm On May 21, 2018
Marriage is a scam. If I don't see a girl that can contribute equally, I will rather remain single for life. I'm not even interested in children, I've got to be rich before having one.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:48pm On May 21, 2018
It is wise to setup a trade for your wife or fix her up to support the family but not takeover the primary responsibility of the family. A virtuous wife gives supporting hand no matter how little.

3 Likes

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by ubunja(m): 7:54pm On May 21, 2018
the funny thing is women are always telling us marriage is not an important thing anymore. but if men start saying the same thing they get angry. women just want to go whòre then come back and marry when that pussy is shit like water. over my dead body

5 Likes

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by UDUJ(m): 7:55pm On May 21, 2018
Truer words have never been said bro.

The trials we go through as men undecided

Some of us spend over 70% of our income taken care of others, sometimes you ask yourself if you are working for them or yourself.

It's a Rat Race bro, Rat Race embarassed

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by CAPSLOCKED: 8:01pm On May 21, 2018
UDUJ:

Some of us spend over 70% of our income taken care of others, sometimes you ask yourself if you are working for them or yourself.

TRUE STUFF.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by UDUJ(m): 8:02pm On May 21, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

TRUE STUFF.

My bro, it's been a long time. Always good to see you around cool
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by tunjilana: 8:03pm On May 21, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
It is wise to setup a trade for your wife or fix her up to support the family but not takeover the primary responsibility of the family. A virtuous wife gives supporting hand no matter how little.
It is wise for a woman to work on herself and be productive prior seeking a man to marry. It is also wise for fathers to understand that their daughters will need to make financial contributions when they get married, thus they should educate them, guide/help them towards gainful employment or setup meaningful businesses for them prior marriage. It is not the responsibility of a man to setup a business for a woman in the name of marriage. Except she is coming from a bad place in life or she does not have reliable parents. Stop inheriting other mens' liabilities in the name of marriage. If a man has raised his daughter to be dependent on a man, leave him to enjoy what he has raised till old age. So emancipated men can use him as an example of how not to raise the girl child

1 Like

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 21, 2018
Headlesschicken:
grin Makes u grow older than yuh age.... While yuh woman would be looking like yuh daughter...
A 40years old man will be looking like a 65years old man.. smh
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by tunjilana: 8:07pm On May 21, 2018
Why do you think men die before women in most marriages
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 21, 2018
tunjilana:
It is wise for a woman to work on herself and be productive prior seeking a man to marry. It is also wise for fathers to understand that their daughters will need to make financial contributions when they get married, thus they should educate them, guide/help them towards gainful employment or setup meaningful businesses for them prior marriage. It is not the responsibility of a man to setup a business for a woman in the name of marriage. Except she is coming from a bad place in life or she does not have reliable parents. Stop inheriting other mens' liabilities in the name of marriage. If a man has raised his daughter to be dependent on a man, leave him to enjoy what he has raised till old age. So emancipated men can use him as an example of how not to raise the girl child
you said it all bro
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Saff(f): 8:23pm On May 21, 2018
ubunja:

no one forced you to read my comment. take your own advice.
it’s a forum, your stupid comments will be responded to. Get with it.

3 Likes

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by ubunja(m): 8:29pm On May 21, 2018
Saff:
it’s a forum, your stupid comments will be responded to. Get with it.
funny how you forgot that when you first texted me.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Saff(f): 8:34pm On May 21, 2018
ubunja:
funny how you forgot that when you first texted me.
ok
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 10:49pm On May 21, 2018
tunjilana:
Why do you think men die before women in most marriages
because of too much burden
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 21, 2018
UDUJ:

cry
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Deji63: 7:00am On May 22, 2018
Elder001:

Elder 001 alias Ubunja. For your mind you dey garner support. The same you under two monikers supporting your rubbish post. Don't go and work. Your bones will soon fail you as the symptoms of old age will hit you like a bomb.. You will realise sooner than later that you spent all your life wasting away.

You probably are a ritualist as they say or how can you have this much time on NL and expect to make anything reasonable out of your life? I am sure you can't even feed yourself not to talk of feeding a family of your own as old as you are. Thats the height of disgrace for the menfolk. I remember telling you that you are not a man but a mistake.

You are what the Yoruba's call alainuronu, elerotirin okunrin. Men like you are quick to bring out their dicks as that is all you have to offer because deep down you know you are not ready to take responsibility. Men like you who complain about money are gigolos in reality. Women don't submit to gigolos they submit to men.

I have a daughter and don't pray for her to meet a man like you but I know if you have daughters they will end up with men of similar character as you. Then you go know say you be every woman's nightmare.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by ubunja(m): 7:29am On May 22, 2018
Deji63:

Elder 001 alias Ubunja. For your mind you dey garner support. The same you under two monikers supporting your rubbish post. Don't go and work. Your bones will soon fail you as the symptoms of old age will hit you like a bomb.. You will realise sooner than later that you spent all your life wasting away.

You probably are a ritualist as they say or how can you have this much time on NL and expect to make anything reasonable out of your life? I am sure you can't even feed yourself not to talk of feeding a family of your own as old as you are. Thats the height of disgrace for the menfolk. I remember telling you that you are not a man but a mistake.

You are what the Yoruba's call alainuronu, elerotirin okunrin. Men like you are quick to bring out their dicks as that is all you have to offer because deep down you know you are not ready to take responsibility. Men like you who complain about money are gigolos in reality. Women don't submit to gigolos they submit to men.

I have a daughter and don't pray for her to meet a man like you but I know if you have daughters they will end up with men of similar character as you. Then you go know say you be every woman's nightmare.
becos you think no one dares think like ubunja so everyone who disagrees with you makes you think its ubunja behind the moniker. you so pathetic and paranoid. remember that time you thought i was Deadrat and Upsetgirl becos you hated both?i pity you coz i think mentaly you're disturbed:

Deji63:

Ubunja is deadrat. He is upsetgirll too. You think say we no know. We go soon tell Seun to track you so we go see the face behind these monikers. Then we will understand why you always sound so frustrated. Na dat time you go no wetin dey. He creates threads pointing to his frustration on his wifeless situation. Ubunja and his lonely di.ck. grin grin grin grin Chronic bachelor. E fit be one old baba wey don day get hallucinations o.

1 Like

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by CAPSLOCKED: 6:59pm On May 22, 2018
UDUJ:

My bro, it's been a long time. Always good to see you around cool
YEAH.. THANKS. cool

Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 3:06am On May 23, 2018
Deji63:

I'm not ubunja and can never be.
Everyone on romance section knows I'm not.

There's something in my mind that a kid is behind this handle.. it's becoming obvious
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by Nobody: 3:08am On May 23, 2018
you've psychological issues.
Re: Being The Sole Provider Is Bad For A Man's Health by highqueen(f): 3:14am On May 23, 2018
whose fault is that when some of you men would prefer having a house wife cos you are scared of dick measuring.undecided

husbands are meant to contribute atleast,70% of his earnings while the wife gets 30% of hers.

that's why you are made head of the house by God,and women the helper.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Twin Sisters Share Same Boyfriend, Wants Law To Be Change So They Can Marry Him / Ladies, Upload A Picture Of You In A Bikini / Please HELP! MY Girlfriend Told Me To Do Press Up Then This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.