Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,847 members, 7,813,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure (77103 Views)

President Buhari Signs 2018 Budget Wednesday / President Buhari Signs Fourth Alteration Bill / Atiku Reacts As Buhari Signs "Not Too Young To Run" Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by CircleOfWilis: 10:32pm On Jun 08, 2018
mema900:

People like you de write extra sheet when the teacher just asked a very simple question that could be handled in few lines
answer me abeg..
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by omoluka: 10:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
Neat HP 2000 with the following specs is up for sale  500 hdd 4g ram Bluetooth  Window 10 Price #59000 Call - 08168954025

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by AfricanMagic(m): 10:35pm On Jun 08, 2018
olajay86:

President Muhammadu Buhari has signed a constitutional amendment that stops a vice president who completes the term of a president from contesting for the office of the President more than once.

The same is applicable to a deputy governor who completes the term of a state governor.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Ita Enang, disclosed this to State House correspondents at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Friday.

The term of a President or a governor can be aborted by virtue of death, resignation or removal, thereby paving the way for the Vice President or deputy governor to take over.

Enang said the President also signed an amendment to the constitution that grants autonomy to state judiciary and state Houses of Assembly.

According to Enang, the President also signed an amendment that reduced the duration for determining pre-election matters in courts to ensure that such matters do not get into the time of the elections and do not linger thereafter.

He added that another amendment increased the time the Independent National Electoral Commission has to conduct by-election in case of vacancy from the present seven days to 21 days.

Enang said, “I just want to inform you that His Excellency President Muhammadu Buhari today (Friday) assented to the Constitution Fourth Alteration Bill which grants financial authonomy and independence to the Houses of Assembly of the respective states and to the Judiciary of the respective states.

“Therefore, upon this signature, the amounts standing to the credit of the judiciary are to now be paid directly to the judiciary of those states and no more through the governors and from the governors.

“And then the amounts standing to the credit of the Houses of Assembly of the respective states are now to be paid directly to the Houses of Assembly of that state for the benefit of the legislators and the management of the state Houses of Assembly of that state. This grants full autonomy now to the Houses of Assembly and judiciary of states.

“Another Act which has come into force today is Constitution Amendment 21 which relates to the determination of pre-elections matters. It has reduced the date and time of determining pre-election matters to ensure that the pre-election matters in court do not get into the time of the elections and do not linger thereafter.

“The relevant section of the Constitution has also been amended by this Act, therefore amending the constitution.

“The other one is Bill 16 which is now an Act. The intent of that Act is to ensure that where a Vice President succeeds the President and where a deputy governor succeeds a governor, he can no more contest for that office more than one more time.

“The effect is that having taken the oath of President once, he can only contest one more time and no more. That is the intent of this amendment.

“The other amendment is Bill 9 now an Act which gives the Independent National Electoral Commission sufficient time to conduct by-election. It has increased the time from seven to 21 days and generally widen the latitude of the INEC to handle election matters upon vacancy.

“These four bills, added to the Not-Too-Young-To-Run Act, have now been assented to by the President and have now become laws.

“The Constitution of Nigeria 1999 as amended is hereby further amended by the assent of the President to these bills today.”

http://www.titopeblog.com/2018/06/breaking-buhari-signs-law-stopping-vps.html

them no dey sign better law ni
like free and quality education up to tertiary level ?
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
The president is only signing the law, legislator are actually the law makers here. So all anger should be Channeled to them.

With that said Buhari should prepare him self for the Back2Daura campaign of next year.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Harrynight(m): 11:11pm On Jun 08, 2018
Since baba don decided to sign anything signable
Abeg mek e sign bill to returning oil blocks to state into law

Sign minimum wage bill
Sign peace corps bill
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Bamz(m): 11:13pm On Jun 08, 2018
FortifiedCity:
If you dash me your BBQ for free, I no go chop.

We know you're lying but continue
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 08, 2018
namet:
What is the aim of this law? To ensure zoning? To ensure only the "owners of Nigeria" become President?

What if a VP does a good job and the country wants him/her to continue as President? Ofcourse, this law is meant to stop that, so that the zone in which the Presidency was zoned to can present another candidate.

This law is a clear example of the entitlement mindset of a typical Northerner. The law is meant to stop Osinbajo from running for the Presidency should Buhari die.

It is meant to stop what happened during Jonathan, where he ran for President after serving-out Yaradua's tenure. Essentially, this law is meant to stop minority ethnic groups in the country from seeking election as President.

This law is anti-progress, it is an oppressive law targeted at minorities, and it is meant to ensure Northerners, the self-acclaimed owners of Nigeria, hold on to power.

I am disappointed that Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, Godswill Akpabio, Ike Ekweremadu and other progressive members of the National Assembly allowed this Bill to scale through and without wide consultation with Nigerians about its implications for the minorities in these country.

Minorities are usually VPs and running mates. It is a disgrace that our National Assembly and the President would enact a law that makes it impossible for a Vice President to seek election for the office of President.

It is sad and hopeless to be a minority in the Nigerian nation!

Why do fools like you do not read and understand a post before writing long rubbish?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by AreaFada2: 11:17pm On Jun 08, 2018
GEJ is still giving these people nightmare 3 years after leaving power. grin cheesy

They never expected a SS person to be president. Funny thing is humans can pass laws and scheme but nature has a way of playing a fast one on everybody. grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 08, 2018
PRESENTATION:
The president is only signing the law, legislator are actually the law makers here. So all anger should be Channeled to them.

With that said Buhari should prepare him self for the Back2Daura campaign of next year.

The only one with brain on this thread. Directing their anger at buhari and leaving their beloved saraki that passed the law.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Marsh104(m): 11:23pm On Jun 08, 2018
post=68302549:
Pathetic losers.
Illiterate trouble-makers everywhere.
Just imagine.
Arguing or exchaning words with this ones is a TOTAL waste of time.
I only engage in intellectual political conversation with learned souls, not beer parlour gist rumour carrying customers. Hahahaha wink cheesy grin wink wink. Hope you haters can see I never bothered quoting y'all.
If y'all hit your head on the ground on top BUHARI matter, harld luck for you all.

See that one up there so pained bleating like a she-goat, I'm very sure he must have torn his clothes like the wrestler ULTIMATE WARRIOR the way he was vibrating!! cheesy grin wink

BUHARI TILL 2023!

GOD BLESS MY PRESIDENT FOREVER AND EVER.
AMEN!!!
Nkakwu!!
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:29pm On Jun 08, 2018
Marsh104:

Nkakwu!!
Udele
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by killuminati(m): 11:44pm On Jun 08, 2018
post=68302331:
GOD BLESS MY PRESIDENT.

That was the mistake the country made with the ineffectual and clueless one that nearly turned this country to Somalia with his 40 thieves!
Mah men.. only the wise understands.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Therealev: 11:49pm On Jun 08, 2018
post=68302331:
GOD BLESS MY PRESIDENT.

That was the mistake the country made with the ineffectual and clueless one that nearly turned this country to Somalia with his 40 thieves!

It would have been nice to have a bill that prohibits a former president from contesting again, be it democratic or military. It would have saved us from this menace called Buhari. This is literally stopping Atiku from contesting and I'm not even a supporter of Atiku. But what is good for the Goose, should be good for the Gander.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by mywells: 11:54pm On Jun 08, 2018
Is that what country needs now Mr Fulani,
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by bendike: 11:58pm On Jun 08, 2018
post=68303119:
Yaaaawwwnnnnn!!!! grin grin wink cheesy
Just shut the 4k up for goodness sake! Bloody irritant.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by iswallker(m): 12:00am On Jun 09, 2018
CircleOfWilis:
What happens if the vice president is completing the president's second term...Can he still contest the single tenure knowing he is also In his second tenure as Vp?

Try read bro..

The law simply makes it impossible to take oath of office as president a third time.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by babeosisi: 12:05am On Jun 09, 2018
Chai
It looks like Allah is at the corner to take him home
Ka Allah nara nkpuru obi gi sir
La n'udo

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by sexyanyabubakar(f): 12:39am On Jun 09, 2018
post=68302331:
GOD BLESS MY PRESIDENT.

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by sexyanyabubakar(f): 12:50am On Jun 09, 2018
post=68302427:
Sorry for that giving you a headache. I pray you won't slump out before the end of the day.
See this one so brazen in his HATRED wit him dry chest! You will just quench on top My President matter for nothing. Support who you wanna support and leave me alone with President Buhari. FREE WORLD!
!

Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Nobody: 12:56am On Jun 09, 2018
was just thinking. did GEJ master minded the death of yaradua just like he mastermind the death of the gov of bayelsa when he was the vice.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by linearity: 12:57am On Jun 09, 2018
CircleOfWilis:
What happens if the vice president is completing the president's second term...Can he still contest the single tenure knowing he is also In his second tenure as Vp?

The bill did not differentiate between completing 1st or 2nd term of the President. He still can only serve a max of one more term.

The goal is to restrict an individual to take the oath of office at most, twice.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by ajl: 1:19am On Jun 09, 2018
undecided
hucienda:
This is to prevent any future Jonathan from stumbling into power without the blessing of power blocs in the country. They are threatened from such reoccurring in future, where one who will not be beholden to them controls political power, and thus is free to do as s/he wills.

Thus, the import of this is no more 'short cut' to president or governor after one successful attempt.

Funny enough, na diz kain bills wey no go affect d common man na im naija no dey waste time sign.

Sentiments can't make you comprehend the story. This does not stop the VPs from contesting election for a single term. Not more than that. Technically, the term of a president and his vice is same. A VP cannot discount the term he serves as VP. Makes sense.
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by NaijaElba(m): 1:28am On Jun 09, 2018
post=68302427:

Sorry for that giving you a headache.
I pray you won't slump out before the end of the day.

See this one so brazen in his HATRED wit him dry chest!
You will just quench on top My President matter for nothing.
Support who you wanna support and leave me alone with President Buhari.
FREE WORLD!
!

lolz so you first checked his picture before you know the kinda response you give to him
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by jaybee3(m): 1:32am On Jun 09, 2018
namet:
What is the aim of this law? To ensure zoning? To ensure only the "owners of Nigeria" become President?

What if a VP does a good job and the country wants him/her to continue as President? Ofcourse, this law is meant to stop that, so that the zone in which the Presidency was zoned to can present another candidate.

This law is a clear example of the entitlement mindset of a typical Northerner. The law is meant to stop Osinbajo from running for the Presidency should Buhari die.

It is meant to stop what happened during Jonathan, where he ran for President after serving-out Yaradua's tenure. Essentially, this law is meant to stop minority ethnic groups in the country from seeking election as President.

This law is anti-progress, it is an oppressive law targeted at minorities, and it is meant to ensure Northerners, the self-acclaimed owners of Nigeria, hold on to power.

I am disappointed that Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, Godswill Akpabio, Ike Ekweremadu and other progressive members of the National Assembly allowed this Bill to scale through and without wide consultation with Nigerians about its implications for the minorities in these country.

Minorities are usually VPs and running mates. It is a disgrace that our National Assembly and the President would enact a law that makes it impossible for a Vice President to seek election for the office of President.

It is sad and hopeless to be a minority in the Nigerian nation!

You are unbelievably daft Sir!!!
That’s me mincing words though

The constitution has always been clear on absolute term limits for Presidents & Governors (2 terms) but it didn’t envisage a technical possibility of a president doing 3 terms (completion of the first tenure by the VP or Deputy Governor in the unlikely event of death, resignation or their removal from office. That loophole would have allowed them to compete for a further 2 fresh terms which could have resulted in them being in post at 3 different times)
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by jaybee3(m): 1:33am On Jun 09, 2018
CSTR1003:
This country is just going backwards everyday.

Sliding towards mire and more decadence.

Does buhari understand the import of what he just signed!?
Can he give a reasonable rationale behind the decision?

He has effectively ended the chance of an outsider becoming President.

In a time when Nigeria needs more expansive politics.
To become a president you need to become a member of the cabal. That is exactly what buhaei has done.

He signed the "not too young to rule" bill and then rendered it almost irrelevant with this new one.

Terrible, terrible leadership. This is why you do not give the power of the presidency to illiterates and Mad Men.

I hope a more sensible president can overturn this in the future.

Like seriously?
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by holyeye1989(m): 1:39am On Jun 09, 2018
As this man dey rush sign papers anyhow...you sure say em life supporting batteries never won expire as it can't be replaced..

All these signings ...I know where he's heading to...
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by jaybee3(m): 1:41am On Jun 09, 2018
ajl:
undecided

Sentiments can't make you comprehend the story. This does not stop the VPs from contesting election for a single term. Not more than that. Technically, the term of a president and his vice is same. A VP cannot discount the term he serves as VP. Makes sense.

VP’s or anybody else can only take the oath of office twice.

A VP that completes two terms with the president can still do a further 2 terms as the president

A VP that completes the president’s term can only do a further term as the president if elected. They will be required to take the oath of office before they can complete the removed, demised or incapacitated’s president’s term. They can then compete for a further fresh term as the president

Understood?
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:49am On Jun 09, 2018
bendike:

Just shut the 4k up for goodness sake! Bloody irritant.
Make sure you tell that to your oldest uncle when you need him tomorrow kid bro!
Re: Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure by Starboynobesay(m): 1:54am On Jun 09, 2018
wetin dey do dis man sef ? na so he declare June 12 as Democracy day . remembering Abiola wey don die tey tey. na June 12 be date where military hand over to civilian? why I dey waste my time sef

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Confirms Two Deaths From Lekki Shooting / Difference Between 2015 And 2019 Postponement Of Elections / How Jonathan Lands In Otuoke And How Buhari Intends To Land In Daura

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.