Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29652 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by AndreUweh(m): 2:44pm On Jun 14, 2010
seanet02:

@andreuweh folks like you belong to the barren ports, you see you are so daft that you did not know the almajiris are mainly northerners, you are blowing grammar here when in actual sense you may not have passed waec at one sitting, i wonder how brain scrabs like you got to know of nairaland? You deserved to be in the zoo. Animal suck
You donkey raping shit eater, your posts are exquisitely boring. I do not think I should be replying an ass licking son of a cunt as you.
This particular thread is not for Agege nigger queef like you. A small fry like you should not be exchanging insults with me. Asshole and shit face.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by seanet02: 3:05pm On Jun 14, 2010
@andreuweh you can not control us here in nairaland just because you made it to the uk after absconding from a six month visa. You are a disgrace, may be you are a drugbaron like your forefathers. Ojukwu the bingo
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by PhysicsQED(m): 2:54am On Sep 12, 2010
Awolowo would have made a good president of an all Yoruba republic. He seemed to have problems getting along with other groups though.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Obiagu1(m): 6:31am On Sep 12, 2010
Yorubaland, the greatest ever kingdom in the whole world.
It has no equal, even the Roman empire is insignificant compared to the Great Yorubaland.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by strangerf: 1:42am On Dec 20, 2010
BUMP

God Bless Yorubaland!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by udezue(m): 4:49am On Dec 20, 2010
In terms of sheer wickedness ofcourse he had no equal.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche0(m): 4:50am On Dec 20, 2010
He was Hitler incarnate.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by udezue(m): 4:56am On Dec 20, 2010
EzeUche!!! Nna man I missed u. Welcome back
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by aljharem(m): 4:57am On Dec 20, 2010
udezue:

EzeUche!!! Nna man I missed u. Welcome back

but u do not miss me ur blood brother
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche0(m): 5:00am On Dec 20, 2010
udezue my brother!

Keep on fighting the good fight!

I hope Awolowo rots in hell.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by aljharem(m): 5:06am On Dec 20, 2010
EzeUche0:

udezue my brother!

fighting for what

we igbo have serious issues to deal with
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by udezue(m): 5:07am On Dec 20, 2010
AljHarem, I'll rather miss the devil himself. Mchew
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by aljharem(m): 5:10am On Dec 20, 2010
udezue:

AljHarem, I'll rather miss the devil himself. Mchew

why na ain't we igbo brothers any more

that is why igbos can never unite, if u miss the devil more than ur brother shocked shocked cry
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by udezue(m): 5:10am On Dec 20, 2010
EzeUche add me for facebook
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by aljharem11(m): 5:12am On Dec 20, 2010
udezue:

EzeUche add me for facebook

what is ur facebook profile name so i can also be ur friend and be closer to my brothers ezeuche and udezue cheesy cheesy
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 5:13am On Dec 20, 2010
alj harem1:

what is your facebook profile name so i can also be your friend and be closer to my brothers ezeuche and udezue cheesy cheesy

You be real crazed boy sha grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 5:20am On Dec 20, 2010
EzeUche0:

udezue my brother!

The king of bigots is back! I thought Osisikankwu got you or something, or maybe the people of Abriba made a barbecue out of you.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by hoba(m): 5:52am On Dec 20, 2010
I do not want to ever hear of this name again, he is but a criminal, a big thief a local and tribal idiot. That is the reason he killed himself because he knew he is evil. Please let us talk of better things jo.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by strangerf: 12:24pm On Dec 25, 2010
HE Jews taught mankind about the existence of God. After this discovery of God, God in His infinite mercies made effective use of most of the prophets of the Jews. These prophets performed miraculous feats such as: healing, raising of the dead, cursing, prophecies and going to heaven by a whirlwind. It is pertinent to note that one of these prophets prophesied about the destruction of Jerusalem and the coming of "The Lord Our Righteousness," "our Lord Jesus Christ,’ a priest forever after the order of "Melchisedec."

Prophet Jeremiah Hilkiah, who was dubbed. "The weeping prophet," became a laughing-stock to the Jews, when he prophesied about the destruction of Jerusalem and the seventy years captivity in Babylon. Then he told the Jews, "if you will return, O Isreal, said the Lord, return unto me: and if you will put away your abominations out of my sight, then shall you not be removed." What later happened to Jerusalem and the Jews was a clear case manifestation of the stance of the Jews of that era.

In a similar vein, Chief Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo, the advocate of federalism, free education, free health services, full employment opportunities etc. was dubbed by Nigerians, "the prophet of doom," when he was alive. To some Nigerians then, he was a tribal leader; he was a man who had divergent views; he was a conformist of the highest order as regards his views on how to move Nigeria forward.

On the other hand, when Chief Awolowo died, the encomiums and eulogies Nigerians poured on him would elicit the envy of great leaders such as: Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill. For instance, such eulogies include the following: "our king whom we have either by omission or commission failed to crown, "a Nigerian who combined a great philosophical intellect with practical expertise, "Chief Awo was an erudite philosopher known particularly for his advocacy of federalism and one of the founder of modern day Nigeria; "a great leader, the great source of inspiration, the greatest thinker of our time who has changed place. His works and his thoughts live on to be a guiding light to this and future generations. We will always remember him; "papa was without doubt the best president that Nigeria never had. With the passing away of Chief Awolowo, Nigeria will never be the same again’; an irreparable loss to his family the Yorubas, all Nigerians and all Africans. The Nigerian political scene will never be the same again. The end of an era."

Accordingly, the implication is that Chief Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo was a great thinker, teacher, prophet and leader who would have helped to transform Nigeria, if he had not been misunderstood. The truth is that the "African sage" was ahead of his contemporaries. This finds expression in the fact that "western Nigeria" which he ruled was ahead of other regions in terms of infrastructures, investments and educational advancement. Again, it is said that without his prudent financial management during the Nigeria civil war, Nigeria would have been in debt at that point in time. It is also said that he was the first Nigerian to resign his appointments in a military regime both as a minister and a member of the federal executive council, the highest ruling body, at that point in time.

As a prophet, his predictions could be said to be both divine inspiration and intelligent guesses and educated deductions from the contemporary socio-political happenings of his era. For instance, as an advocate of federalism, his stance on federalism must have been spurred on by the fact that Nigeria has the features that necessitate federalism. Besides, the "black sage’ knew that western Nigeria made great strides when he was a premier because of the federal structures in place then. Today, we have many advocates; some want "Sovereign National Conference," while others want "Resource Control." Our leaders do not seem to realize that if federalism is entrenched in our polity effectively and efficiently, taking into consideration all the necessary stipulations and modalities governing the application of federalism, all these advocacies and cries of marginalisation would evaporate. Today, although we have a federal constitution and we call our nation "Federal Republic of Nigeria," in practice, we could be called "Unitary Republic of Nigeria," in practice, we could be called "Unitary Republic of Nigeria," no thanks to the military incursion into our polity.

Furthermore, Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo seemed to have shared certain attributes with Prophet Jeremiah Hilkiah. Both of them did not only prophesy about what would happen in the future, but also showed the ways on how to avoid the calamitous consequences embedded in their prophecies. Both of them might have been dubbed "Prophets of Doom" by their temporaries. Again, both of them might have been dubbed "the weeping prophets." In the case of Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo, it is on record that he was the first Nigerian who cried out that the "North" being uneducated would not augur well for Nigeria. Today, most "Northern leaders of thoughts" are beginning to understand that fact. Yes, he could be called a weeping prophet. Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo must have wept after the 1983 presidential election." I may be wrong, I want to be put right. Is it not on record that he said that with the 1983 electoral verdict, Nigerians had rejected democracy? It has been said that a leading authority is anyone who has guessed right more than once. To the best of my understanding, Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo guessed right more than once. Also, it is said that some people, especially his political opponents in Yoruba land are under a curse, no thanks to their betrayal of his personality and philosophy.

In this connection, it is apposite to emphasize and point out that the "Yoruba Race," just like very other race of the "black race" makes effective use of "curses" when dealing with perceived enemies. A cursory look at history reveals that right from the era of Oduduwa till the present time, such curses were used and are still being used in Yorubaland. It is pertinent to note that such curses have disastrous effects on the well being of the Yorubas, nay, Nigerians. A man comprises a body and a spirit. When a man is wronged, and he cries out, and his cries reach his spirit, whatever he says has divine implications. In Yorubaland, those whose curses tend to have divine implications are those placed in position of authority, whose spirits are wronged. They include kings and leaders of thoughts.

An example of these curses was that of Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo meted out to Chief MKO Abiola. During the 1979 presidential election, it was rumoured that Chief MKO Abiola fought assiduously against Pa Awo’s presidential bid. This fight was not unconnected to the promise made to Chief Abiola by the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), the party that later emerged victorious. NPN promised Chief MKO Abiola the presidency of Nigeria. It was also rumoured that Chief MKO Abiola financed NPN at the initial stage. Among the Yorubas, there is a rumour gaining ground that Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo swore at Chief MKO Abiola that although Chief MKO Abiola would be given the "Nigeria Presidential seat," he (Abiola) would not sit on it. All these could be seen as rumours, but remember, "no smoke without fire."

Today, Nigerians are in a better position to ascertain the significance of Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo’s purported statement as it affects the "June 12 presidential election" and its subsequent annulment. That Chief MKO Abiola won the June 12 presidential election and was not allowed to rule showed that Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo’s purported "curse" was prophetic.

However, although June 12 was not materialized, it seems to be the fundamental framework upon which the present democratic structures are laid. The author of June 12 and its subsequent annulment, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (rtd) would always see "June 12" as a mystery. The mistake he made was that he allowed Chief MKO Abiola to contest that election. Had he disqualified Chief MKO Abiola as he disqualified Chief Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, Eze Ndi-Igbo, the June 12 presidential election would not have been stalemated. As the pivot of that political process, IBB said that he was profoundly sensitive to the unpleasant and regrettable but wholly unintended consequences. The implication is that IBB did not know that the June 12 election would end the way it did. I am not trying to exonerate IBB from blame. What I am trying to establish is that the soul of a nation can best be found in the lives of its great leaders. IBB accepts responsibility for engineering the Nigeria within which we now live. If we were to analyze critically the contemporary happenings in Nigeria since June 12, 1993, we would come to term with the fact General I.B. Babangida (rtd) really did some political engineering, or do we say, is still doing some political re-engineering!

Finally, according to Tam David-West, if you want to contribute, you reduce intellectualism and utopia to practicability and tangibility, because intellectualism without practicability is prostitution. In this connection, it is apposite to emphasize and point out, that based on the contemporary history of our country, I am made bold to say that the June 12 presidential election was annulled because the winner, Chief MKO Abiola, was under a curse meted out to him by Prophet Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo. Moreover, it is high time we stopped apportioning blame to "selected individuals" as being instrumental to the present state of Nigeria because as a people, we have committed political, social and economic euthanasia by our pachydermatous attitude towards development. There is also need for true national reconciliation in every nook and cranny in Nigeria; this will necessitate the effective translation of the vision and gains of true federalism and democracy into reality because everything changes except the law of change.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by aljharem11(m): 12:37pm On Dec 25, 2010
hoba:

I do not want to ever hear of this name again, he is but a criminal, a big thief a local and tribal . That is the reason he killed himself because he knew he is evil. Please let us talk of better things jo.
look u will hear that name till you kill yourself like him

Fact!!! And I am igbo
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by revolt(m): 10:43am On Dec 27, 2010
Please who was the first public servant to stuck stolen funds in a Swiss account. Who invented tribslism in national politics who scuttled the aburi agreements that would have saved millions of lives just because he was scared of the rising profile of the east. Yes he had his good parts. He's definitely s great yoruba hero for them from them and by aLl standard a god for them too but shall never be honoured even in alaba.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 27, 2010
revolt:

Please who was the first public servant to stuck stolen funds in a Swiss account. Who invented tribslism in national politics who scuttled the aburi agreements that would have saved millions of lives just because he was scared of the rising profile of the east. Yes he had his good parts. He's definitely s great yoruba hero for them from them and by aLl standard a god for them too but shall never be honoured even in alaba.
So it was Awo that scuttled Aburi agreement ?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by lagbaja20: 11:04am On Dec 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

So it was Awo that scuttled Aburi agreement ?

Some of these people are too young to understand what went down in those days

You should always ignore people like that

Let them wallow in their ignorance like a pig!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 3:19pm On Dec 27, 2010
Of course, Awolowo had no equals in tribal politics. He was my favorite political operative during his era.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by lagbaja20: 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2010
Charles Caleb Colton it was who said that “In life, we shall find many men that are great, and some men that are good, but very few men that are both great and good.” Chief Obafemi Awolowo was such a man. He was good. He was great. He was extraordinary in many ways.

He truly was a truly great man. Because of his brilliance and strength of character, he was very much misunderstood and envied; and because most couldn’t measure up to his expectation and greatness, they vilified him. If you were not alive when Awolowo lived, or if you were not fortunate to have met him, well, let me tell you this: He was graceful. He was charismatic. He was purposeful. Most of all he had a clear vision of what he wanted for Nigeria and for humanity. Above all else, he was a nice and decent human being! Oh AWOLOWO!!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by omongbatic: 6:34pm On Dec 29, 2010
The man got tired of contesting for the presidency and took his life

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Hails Pastor Adeboye, Says Nigeria Needs More Leaders Like Him / Buhari Is A Noisemaker; He’s As Corrupt As Abacha – Lamido / Nnamdi Kanu To Tinubu: You've Disappointed, Disgraced The Noble Yoruba Ancestry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.