Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29620 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

Gators, is that video real?

Chineke! shocked shocked
You should be asking SEFAGO. That's his signature. SMH
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:57am On Jun 03, 2010

Educated by Protestant missionaries and still a nonsmoking teetotaler, Awolowo worked his way to a London University law degree, served five years as the solid, efficient Prime Minister of his native Western Region and headed Nigeria's opposition party, the Action Group. Before independence in 1960, he was influential in drawing up Nigeria's constitution. Would Awolowo, a masterful organizer, really get mixed up in a half-baked, amateurish plot to wipe out his nation's top leadership with a handful of explosives, arms, and rebels trained in nearby Ghana?

Winks from the Dock. Indeed he would—and did—insisted Nigeria's federal prosecutor in the marathon, ten-month trial that filled 1,400 pages of testimony. Witness after witness—53 in all—came into court to testify that Awolowo planned to topple federal Prime Minister Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa last Sept. 21 with the help of 200 trained men, on the eve of a state visit by India's Jawaharlal Nehru.

A government witness testified that on Awolowo's instructions he had carried a check to purchase arms in Ghana. Police claimed that they had dug up four cartridges hidden in Awolowo's backyard. Although conducted with grave decorum, the trial had its interruptions. One prosecution witness complained that some of the accused in the dock were giving him the juju version of the evil eye—a wink.

Awolowo, denying all the accusations, said there was insufficient evidence to prove the case, and declared that some of the testimony was obtained under duress. In a half-hour closing oration, Awolowo frankly lamented that "the invaluable services which . . . I can still render will be lost to the country." The judge, George Sowemimo, who was openly distressed by the entire proceeding, said he had no choice but to convict. In a nine-hour decision delivered last week, he gave Awolowo ten years in prison for treasonable felony, just a bit milder than the 15-year prison term meted out to Awolowo's crony, Politico Tony Enahoro, a few days earlier.

Headless Opposition. With the convictions of Awolowo and Enahoro, the opposition Action Group is virtually decapitated. But the party still enjoys the loyal backing of Western Nigeria's predominant, advanced Yoruba tribe. The clannish Yorubas will almost certainly reorganize to challenge the North and East once more. At week's end many a Nigerian was wondering how long his country's delicate balance of regional rivalries, which has been the key to Africa's most admired democracy, could last.

Unperturbed, Sir Abubakar, a Moslem from the North, went ahead with plans to convert Nigeria on Oct. 1 from a British dominion to a republic within the British Commonwealth. Sir Abubakar will remain the real boss. The changeover will merely install a ceremonial President as head of state to replace Queen Elizabeth, who is now sovereign.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,870529,00.html#ixzz0plpzMmCw
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:59am On Jun 03, 2010
The baby smokes like an european  grin

I love it
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 8:00am On Jun 03, 2010
[b]The clannish Yorubas [/b]will almost certainly reorganize to challenge the North and East once more. At week's end many a Nigerian was wondering how long his country's delicate balance of regional rivalries, which has been the key to Africa's most admired democracy, could last.

Unperturbed, Sir Abubakar, a Moslem from the North, went ahead with plans to convert Nigeria on Oct. 1 from a British dominion to a republic within the British Commonwealth. Sir Abubakar will remain the real boss. The changeover will merely install a ceremonial President as head of state to replace Queen Elizabeth, who is now sovereign.

Lol! The "only truth" in the article.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 8:01am On Jun 03, 2010
If I was Zik, Nigeria would still be under British rule today. WTF.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 8:02am On Jun 03, 2010
And if I ever agreed to an independent Nigeria, a Cameroonian from Western Cameroon would have become the first Nigerian president. I'm gifted with strategic thinking. .  far ahead of the Ziks and the Awos of this world. No shaking. cool cool cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 03, 2010
I''m seriously tired of my anti-tribalist talk on NL.
It's obvious that you ppl dont listen.
I dont care anymore. . . .
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 8:09am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

I''m seriously tired of my anti-tribalist talk on NL.
It's obvious that you ppl dont listen.
I dont care anymore. . . .

Calm down babe, you've gradually chiseled your way into my fortified spots. You're making impact, just that we still have a loooooooooooooong way to go. My peoples' past cosmopolitan tendencies cost us DEARLY, and I'm DETERMINED to never follow their past tendencies. No hard feelings. cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by udezue(m): 8:52am On Jun 03, 2010
Oh yeah he had no equal in WICKEDNESS
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by metalgong5(m): 10:01am On Jun 03, 2010
udezue:

Oh yeah he had no equal in WICKEDNESS

hahahahaha . . . . . . That coward named Awolowo deserved to have won a laurel as the most devilish and tribalistic animal that ever lived.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 10:10am On Jun 03, 2010
In the backwoods of Western Nigeria last week, Yoruba tribesmen gazed unbelievingly at the strange men who tumbled out of the sky to make speeches and hand out toy balloons. Curious Hausa merchants applauded politely, as jabbering loudspeaker trucks moved slowly through the ancient city of Kano. Independence is coming next year to Britain's big West African colony, the most heavily populated country on the continent. And next month, Nigeria (pop. 35.7 million) will choose its first national government.

A national election is a new thing, and millions have never voted before, but it did not take long for Nigerians to get into the spirit of it. When the Eastern Region Premier, Nnamdi ("Zik"wink Azikiwe invaded Western Region territory to address one group of villagers, his opponents dismantled the bridge across the river, forcing Zik to paddle across by canoe. Zik studied at five different U.S. colleges, while his principal rival, Chief Obafemi Awolowo of the Western Region, was educated at London University. Awolowo. campaigning for votes in the Moslem North, had hardly begun to speak at one meeting when a herd of wild cattle charged across the site of the rally, breaking up the speech, as his political enemies guffawed from their safe vantage spot.

Ganging Up. Nigeria is divided into three parts. The Ibo of the East and the Yoruba of the West hate one another and scorn the less advanced Northerners. It is the North, with its huge area and heavy Moslem population, led by the turbaned Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, that is supposed to hold the key to power.

But it is the rabble-rousin[/b]g Zik who may wind up running the show. [b]Last year he journeyed north to the Sardauna's palace with a proposal to work together to defeat Awolowo. The Sardauna was happy to cooperate, for he bitterly hates Awolowo, who for years has urged that the powers of the northern emirs be reduced and is trying to split off the large non-Moslem "Middle Belt" from the Northern Region and make it a separate state. None of the three regions is likely to get the absolute majority needed to rule all Nigeria by itself, but a Northern-Eastern coalition could make Zik the first federal Prime Minister; the North's Sardauna appears to have his own eyes on the dignified post of Governor General.

Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,892822,00.html#ixzz0pmO5rDcX
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by tkb417(m): 10:39am On Jun 03, 2010
Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country
hmmm

word!!!!

Awo epitomised bravery, intelligence, astuteness, brilliance which other political bigwigs lacked in that era

may his soul R.I.P
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bigdoo: 2:35pm On Jun 03, 2010
Awolowo was only a tribal leader and relevant only to the Yorubas.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Pharoh: 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2010
No man is perfect, so i don't see the reason why the Yorubas have to defend him totally at all cost. He was human and made some mistakes that is generating all the criticisms from the Igbos so we should all understand that. Now i think it is wrong to compare these people and say one is greater than the other. Lets just leave it at the point where we just analyze the actions they took and visions they were trying to fulfill etc .

So IMO i believe he was a great leader, i like the good things he did and i would not look at it from the angle you guys are pointing to ( Did he do it for his people or for Nigerian's). I just simply want to look at him and the good things he did to make a judgment that he deserve the praise he is getting now. Then to say he is greater than the others or that he was the best is really out of line in such situations.

See my father gave me the best education he could afford, trained me to be a honest and hardworking man. Instilled common sense and wisdom into me, helped me to be what i am today. Feed me, cared for me and provided for all my needs but does that make him the best or greatest father? Does that imply that he has no equal? Am i the most successful man or earth because of my father's actions? or are the yorubas and igbos the most advanced people on earth because of their leaders?

I know we might want to look at it from the angle that, what is the best gift a leader can give to his people? is it education (free or paid ) ?, self awareness and identity and many more. The two opposing tribes in question (Igbo and Yoruba ) are doing fine today in every aspect of life so what is the bases in putting our past leaders into such comparisons? or stoking all these unnecessary wars and hatred?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by gogo123: 4:19pm On Jun 03, 2010
Awolowo was a bastard of the highest order.The corrupt Godforsaken Nigeria of today is a product of his world view, this country would have been a better and a more united country if not for that man. angry
For him Nigeria never stretched beyond ikenna,oyo,ife and other southwest villages and settlements.
MAY A SPECIAL CORNER IN HELL BE CONTINUOUSLY FIRED UP FOR HIM,ASS HOLE
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 4:33pm On Jun 03, 2010
Thank you all for speaking the truth.

Awolowo was only a tribal leader. Even though I do not like the "Great" Zik, he was more of a Pan-African than Awolowo could ever dream of.

This revisionist stories of Awolowo is sickening. This man was pure evil. And he continues to be the most hated man in the East.

The Yoruba need to speak the truth about this man and stop lying to other groups.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 4:39pm On Jun 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

U are already dead from your deep slumber. I'm not that lazy and[b] I hardly lose. [/b] cool

Sure, thats wut u tell urself in your head ; ". . . I hardly lose". Do u notice u never, ever, make even an iota sense in all your arguments? Nah, sure u dont notice, cause u "harldy lose", right buddy?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 4:52pm On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

Dont be silly, this topic was made to mock your self-serving selves. Wetin concern me with Awolowo- na that I go chop?

abioooo wtf most young yorubas dont carry Awolowo or Obj on their freakin heads like these clowns do for Ojukwu and co . . . wetin concern us jare- lol Awolowo did his thing during his years- thats all i can say Im not the type to study his freakin life or want to emulate him.

I didnt even know this topic was going to be made outta what I posted. You see all these self praising goats in the other threads are talking  BULL SHIOT NOW.

Awolowo during his time was cream of the crop- I give it to him

But it is the rabble-rousing Zik who may wind up running the show. Last year he journeyed north to the Sardauna's palace with a proposal to work together to defeat Awolowo. The Sardauna was happy to cooperate, for he bitterly hates Awolowo, who for years has urged that the powers of the northern emirs be reduced and is trying to split off the large non-Moslem "Middle Belt" from the Northern Region and make it a separate state.

Thats real politicking right there- So in general it was Zik who solidified the "fake North" and put the middle belt under northern Hegemony, which is Why Nigeria is where it is too day. Zik na real Ode

[size=15pt]Sunday Vanguard was reliably informed that once Awolowo chose Umeadi as his running mate, Obasanjo sent words to Awolowo to change that choice.  Obasanjo’s argument was that the choice made by UPN did not in any way take into cognizance Nigeria’s peculiar ethno-tribal balancing.  But Awolowo and the UPN refused to shift their ground.  Their counter position was that there was need to ensure that merit was not sacrificed on the altar of federal character or quota system.[/size]

But the NPN, peopled by politicians whose main advantage bore all the signs of pragmatism ended up with Alhaji Usman Aliyu Shehu Shagari, from Shagari Village in Sokoto State.  The party then went all the way down, as if slightly diagonally to the left across the Niger River, to Anambra State to choose Dr. Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekwueme.

Still disputed in some quarters, the NPN won the 1979 presidential elections.  Though Awolowo went all the way to the Supreme Court, he lost to the calculation of a constitutional provision which states that whoever would emerge President and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigeria Armed Forces needed two thirds of the total votes cast in two thirds of the states of the Nigerian Federation.  This provision itself lends itself to the ethos of national spread and, by implication, the need for participatory mandate

If Awolowo was such a tribalist why the HELL did he pick an igbo as his vice- On his part he messed up and should have gone with a northern muslim.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by gogo123: 4:57pm On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

Thank you all for speaking the truth.

Awolowo was only a tribal leader. Even though I do not like the "Great" Zik, he was more of a Pan-African than Awolowo could ever dream of.

This revisionist stories of Awolowo is sickening. This man was pure evil. And he continues to be the most hated man in the East.

The Yoruba need to speak the truth about this man and stop lying to other groups.
Point of correction, Awolowo is not the most hated man in the east but will be the most hated person  by the future generations of liberated black people in the world, all these fairy tales of awolowo will only be told by the Yoruba people and that is where it will end,crap
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 5:00pm On Jun 03, 2010
This is self-aggrandizement gone seriously out of control. It is funny the so-called Awolowo’s achievements during his tenure as the premier of western region blossomed immediately after the Nigeria-Biafra civil war orchestrated by the propaganda machines of western Nigerian regional publications. Anybody who had any sense of arithmetic would easily understood Awolowo could not humanly accomplished what had been erroneously accredited to him during the time he served as premier of western region of Nigeria.

Awolowo was the head of government with remarkable limited powers for western region of Nigeria for about four years (4) and premier of the western region of Nigeria for about three years (3). Anybody with iota of clue about the era in discussion and knowledge of construction will discern that, unless batchers for house, stadium and TV station, all the so-called first in Africa were indeed jokes suited for moonlight gathering.

Talking of vision, I am yet to see where Awolowo demonstrated the much-talked about political vision when, in fact, political parties led by Awolowo did not win majority seats in elections conducted either in the protectorate or Nigeria. In addition, Awolowo was a political chicken. During the electioneering campaigns in1956, Awolowo promised to storm northern region of Nigeria only to back-pedal on the barking of northern region political stalwarts who promised political calamity if Awolowo dares step onto northern region.

Regardless of hot air spewed by few loudmouthed loonies, Awolowo shall remain one of my favorite political figures out of cesspit called Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:01pm On Jun 03, 2010
The poster is NOT AN "Yoruba" he is an Ijaw.

and the Times new magazaine isnt own by yoruba people its own by whites. lol

The writer wrote some nice things about igbos and he also wrote some nice things about Awolowo. The Times magazaine wrote some nice things about igbos and some nice things about yorubas.

Why do some people have selective reading.

[size=14pt]Zik was good for One Nigeria - Great which i can give him credit he is a nationalist.
But he was VERRRRRRRY stu-pid not to Immediately seperate the middle belt from the North which is why the Emirs of Nigeria so much Power. I dont know what he was thinking. lIke really

One Nigeria is great but giving the north so much power was DUMB. If anything it could have been worked out withing the south- Zik threw it all away.[/size]

anyways Im ok with Nigeria the way it is today aside from Minor stuvs.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 5:08pm On Jun 03, 2010
sjeezy8:

I didnt even know this topic was going to be made outta what I posted. You see all these self praising goats in the other threads are talking BULL SHIOT NOW.

Awolowo during his time was cream of the crop- I give it to him

Thats real politicking right there- So in general it was Zik who solidified the "fake North" and put the middle belt under northern Hegemony, which is Why Nigeria is where it is too day. Zik na real Ode

If Awolowo was such a tribalist why the HELL did he pick an igbo as his vice- On his part he messed up and should have gone with a northern muslim.

I hope my Igbo brothers will read this thread.People are just trying very hard to re-write history.Awolowo selected Umeadi on Merit and not QAuota system which still tears Nigeria down till today.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:17pm On Jun 03, 2010
olafolarin:

I hope my Igbo brothers will read this thread.People are just trying very hard to re-write history.Awolowo selected Umeadi on Merit and not QAuota system which still tears Nigeria down till today.

They will say otherwise but its ok sha, they are the ones in denial- because If we talk of tribal politics and quota system,  the yoruba arent counted out of Nigeria in a free and fair election-

Im yet to see any southerner who has a chance beat Fashola. The northerner are against the idea of a christian presidency but welcome the Idea of a southern muslim Like Tinubu, Fashola Mko abiola, Dimeji bankole, Oshiomole(edo) Oyofo(edo)Jimoh Ibrahim who have support in the north, middle and south.

With the way Nigeria is- I dont see anything changing Im waiting for a southern muslim to step up and correct things.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 5:24pm On Jun 03, 2010
sjeezy8,

A Northerner would never vote for a Muslim from the south so you must be smokin some strong Igbo. The reason being is that they do not see Yoruba Muslims as real Muslims, but as Pseudo-Muslims.

The north will not be happy until one of them is President again. Not some Yoruba Muslim. grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 5:24pm On Jun 03, 2010
But it is the rabble-rousing Zik who may wind up running the show. Last year he journeyed north to the Sardauna's palace with a proposal to work together to defeat Awolowo. The Sardauna was happy to cooperate, for he bitterly hates Awolowo, who for years has urged that the powers of the northern emirs be reduced and is trying to split off the large non-Moslem "Middle Belt" from the Northern Region and make it a separate state. None of the three regions is likely to get the absolute majority needed to rule all Nigeria by itself, but a Northern-Eastern coalition could make Zik the first federal Prime Minister; the North's Sardauna appears to have his own eyes on the dignified post of Governor General.

Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's
Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country, its slick politicking is worthy of the U.S. pressagents Awolowo has hired to steer his campaign. He and his aides sail through the back country in helicopters, festoon the towns with modern banners and posters, and hand out books of matches and other election trinkets by the thousands. Two TV stations—the first in black Africa—will carry Awolowo's campaign cries when they start operating early next month.

Awolowo styles himself a "liberal democrat" and favors uncompromising allegiance with the West in foreign policy. Zik swears he is not anti-West (his son is at Harvard), but insists that independent Nigeria should follow a neutral foreign policy, much like that of Kwame Nkrumah in nearby Ghana

Such sophisticated distinctions have little part in the campaigning—Awolowo and Zik prefer to denounce each other as oppressors of the people. It goes over much better.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,892822-1,00.html#ixzz0po8gH7Z9
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 5:33pm On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

sjeezy8,

A Northerner would never vote for a Muslim from the south so you must be smokin some strong Igbo. The reason being is that they do not see Yoruba Muslims as real Muslims, but as Pseudo-Muslims.

The north will not be happy until one of them is President again. Not some Yoruba Muslim. grin

I sincerely dont know how old you were during June 12 but your people should have told you that MKO Abiola won even in his opponents ward.
Abiola was a southern muslim who won in far away North.There is nothing like real or pseudo muslim.Islam makes everybody equal.

Who cares the way North feels right now, Jonathan is a southern minority who is on a 9 year tenure and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

IBB is the only formidable opposition but he already shot himself in the BALLS with June 12 and mismanagemnt of the oil windfall as encapsulated in the okigbo report.
Jonathan just needs to increase the pressure and ask for the release and implementation of the Okigbo Report.He has all the aces to run the affairs of nigeria for the rest 9 years, Gods willing,
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by sjeezy8: 5:50pm On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

sjeezy8,

lol ok- what ever floats your boat but when Mko Abiola contested for presidency - he won.

The North made it possible for MKO Abiola to win the 1993 presidential election, even though he never became president. Abiola's victory was possible because he worked relentlessly to win the confidence of the North. Abiola united the North for his own purpose and it worked very well for him. The North drew up most of his manifestoes for him. He even reached across both parties. He defeated Bashir Tofa, his opponent, in his own home state of Kano, and, even though his was a Muslim/Muslim ticket, he got more votes in Plateau State than in his own Ogun State.

About fashola

Making this appeal in Lagos, the chairman, Berger Hausa Community, Alhaji Sanni Abubakar,

Appealing to all Lagosians to embrace peace and unity as the nation gradually marches to 2011, Alhaji Abubakar said: “Many political leaders have already been talking about 2011. To show you the humility about Fashola, the man has not spoken out rather he has remained focused on the good work he is doing. I want the governor, not only to run for a second term in 2011, but I also pray that one day he will become the president of Nigeria. “I want Fashola to become the president of this nation so that he can repeat the wonders he is doing in Lagos to cover the entire country. I passionately pray to Allah to make Fashola Nigeria’s president one day,” he declared.

YOU think that a southern muslim cant be president but history and also facts plus the demographics of Nigeria shows other wise.

I want Jonathan to be president tho in 2011. I want to state that Fashola has a good record, which is why he can win in Nigeria and not because he is a yoruba, he should be president because he is the most realistic thing in Nigeria Now.

Most people forget he is a muslim or a southerner - good governance.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Dede1(m): 6:17pm On Jun 03, 2010
olafolarin:

But it is the rabble-rousing Zik who may wind up running the show. Last year he journeyed north to the Sardauna's palace with a proposal to work together to defeat Awolowo. The Sardauna was happy to cooperate, for he bitterly hates Awolowo, who for years has urged that the powers of the northern emirs be reduced and is trying to split off the large non-Moslem "Middle Belt" from the Northern Region and make it a separate state. None of the three regions is likely to get the absolute majority needed to rule all Nigeria by itself, but a Northern-Eastern coalition could make Zik the first federal Prime Minister; the North's Sardauna appears to have his own eyes on the dignified post of Governor General.

Helicopters & Trinkets. Awolowo's
Action Group is fighting all out to beat this powerful combine. By far the best organized and disciplined party in the country, its slick politicking is worthy of the U.S. pressagents Awolowo has hired to steer his campaign. He and his aides sail through the back country in helicopters, festoon the towns with modern banners and posters, and hand out books of matches and other election trinkets by the thousands. Two TV stations—the first in black Africa—will carry Awolowo's campaign cries when they start operating early next month.

Awolowo styles himself a "liberal democrat" and favors uncompromising allegiance with the West in foreign policy. Zik swears he is not anti-West (his son is at Harvard), but insists that independent Nigeria should follow a neutral foreign policy, much like that of Kwame Nkrumah in nearby Ghana

Such sophisticated distinctions have little part in the campaigning—Awolowo and Zik prefer to denounce each other as oppressors of the people. It goes over much better.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,892822-1,00.html#ixzz0po8gH7Z9

What a load of rubbish. This is a disservice to humanities such as history. It was Awolowo, through Rosiji and Akintola, who journeyed to north to the so-called Sardauana’s palace treacherously begging for the position of finance minister.

Action Group was politically destroyed by the combined efforts of NPC led by Balewa and NNDP led by SL Akintola during 1964 regional election. Again, it was Azikiwe and NCNC that extended political ladder to the political remnants of Action Group that give rise to United Progressive Grand Alliance (UPGA).
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Katsumoto: 6:38pm On Jun 03, 2010
Dede1:

What a load of rubbish. This is a disservice to humanities such as history. It was Awolowo, through Rosiji and Akintola, who journeyed to north to the so-called Sardauana’s palace treacherously begging for the position of finance minister.

Action Group was politically destroyed by the combined efforts of NPC led by Balewa and NNDP led by SL Akintola during 1964 regional election. Again, it was Azikiwe and NCNC that extended political ladder to the political remnants of Action Group that give rise to United Progressive Grand Alliance (UPGA).

Why are you always against accounts of history that do not align with your version? First you dispute Nowa Omoigui's accounts of the 60s and now the Times report is rubbish. Mind you, this report was written when the events were taking place. It is an unbiased report written by an unbiased journalist and published by an internationally renowned publication.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bawomolo(m): 6:44pm On Jun 03, 2010
awolowo was a liberal democrat? really

i see him more as a socialist than a liberal
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:31pm On Jun 03, 2010
Mind you, this report was written when the events were taking place.

grin

brb
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by bkbabe97: 7:32pm On Jun 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why are you always against accounts of history that do not align with your version? First you dispute Nowa Omoigui's accounts of the 60s and now the Times report is rubbish. Mind you, this report was written when the events were taking place. It is an unbiased report written by an unbiased journalist and published by an internationally renowned publication.

Oh, so u aint heard? Dede1 WAS THERE when all the events occured, why then should he take the accounts of some ill-informed journalists when he was privy to all incidents? lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

How Governor Ayade Transformed A Community In 72 Hours / Panicky PDP Leaders Meet Jonathan / Yemi Osinbajo Arrives in Sokoto State, Meets With Sultan (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.