Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? (29859 Views)

"We Train Girls As Suicide Bombers"; Jealous Wife Snitches On Her Husband / Yoruba Politicians Are Smarter Than Their Igbo Counterparts: Oba Of Lagos Saga / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 5:35pm On Jun 09, 2010
Olusegun was former MD of GS in London so are u saying Goldman sachs financed some developments in lekki?

be clear o cos i dont understand what ure saying o grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by OvieE: 5:39pm On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

is that how you communicate in america

how do you pass across your mssg?

My friend, don't just start it because I will insult you from head to toes.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 5:44pm On Jun 09, 2010
OvieE:

My friend, don't just start it because I will insult you from head to toes.
LOLOLOL grin grin grin grin

no vex
i tot u didnt know u cannot be allowed to speak any other language apart from english

cos what u posted looked like french; my friend just told me its pidgin so im sorry grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by felifeli: 5:47pm On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

LOLOLOL grin grin grin grin

no vex
i tot u didnt know u cannot be allowed to speak any other language apart from english

cos what u posted looked like french; my friend just told me its pidgin so im sorry grin grin

My friend you are an absolute nutter. grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by debosky(m): 5:54pm On Jun 09, 2010
People pay £27,000 p/a on rent and that is average? shocked

The word average must have been redefined, and I am definitely the one who lost out. sad

I agree with one comment here - there is an unhealthy need by many Nigerians to compare and be better than the next Chinedu/Efe/Mohammed out there. I don't really know how much value there is in such an exercise.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by felifeli: 6:02pm On Jun 09, 2010
debosky:

The word average must have been redefined, and I am definitely the one who lost out. sad

I agree with one comment here - there is an unhealthy need by many Nigerians to compare and be better than the next Chinedu/Efe/Mohammed out there. I don't really know how much value there is in such an exercise.

I think poor guy meant to say £2,700 p/a . That is what he pays for his room in Peckham. grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by sley4life(m): 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2010
Its mere arrogance
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2010
debosky:

thank u jare

can we close thread grin

debosky, where have u been?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by debosky(m): 6:09pm On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

thank u jare

can we close thread grin

debosky, where have u been?

On sabbatical leave. . . .trying to save up £27,000 so I can live in an average flat next year since Seun didn't pay me enough. grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 6:15pm On Jun 09, 2010
debosky:

On sabbatical leave. . . .trying to save up £27,000 so I can live in an average flat next year since Seun didn't pay me enough. grin
lol, bad guy
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
If there are Nigerians living in Nigeria, and paying $1400 PER MONTH  and even more in some cases, I am certain that the Pounds 27000 PER ANNUM  in the UK figure is not out of this world. Just that I am not certain if the phrase "Average Nigerian" should be applied in that case.

When I said earlier that your two weeks cocktail was toxic, I meant all the toxins building up in your body is not good. Why not work on BUILDING your immune system instead? Has that failed for you?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by felifeli: 6:28pm On Jun 09, 2010
debosky:

You guys go kill person o!! grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by felifeli: 6:33pm On Jun 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

If there are Nigerians living in Nigeria, and paying $1400 PER MONTH  and even more in some cases, I am certain that the Pounds 27000 PER ANNUM  in the UK figure is not out of this world. Just that I am not certain if the phrase "Average Nigerian" should be applied in that case.

That comes to about N230,000 per month by the way. Anyone Nigerian paying that for rent in Nigeria from own pocket (not from company money o) I join him in fervent prayer that his father's second wife should leave him alone.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by buzugee(m): 6:36pm On Jun 09, 2010
lol lots of funny people in nigeria. honorable mention to tbk @ sauron. love the banter.

i see kobojunkie still rubbing people the wrong way up in here, up in here

but yeah i think it all comes down to REST OF MIND and FEELING AMONG.  in which case those living in nigeria have the ones living abroad beat. the percentage of your life that hinges on how much you make and your creature comforts in life is less than 10 percent of your whole being. this is why most people in developed countries are very unhappy and depressed. this is why you get millionaires committing suicide in the west. most nigerians subscribe to surface level thinking and feel all life is about is money. the truth of the matter is that life is about REST OF MIND and FEELING AMONG. you have rest of mind when you are amongst like minded folk. people that look like you. people that think like you. people that eat like you. people that dance like you. people that act like you. this is why people in the poorer regions of the world are always almost the happiest people. because those places are always homogenous. i am sorry but multiculturalism only works on a surface level but the friction created on the ground level brings a lot of unhappiness. so people in nigeria have that rest of mind for being in a homogenous environment. rest of mind is a huge chunk of a human being. i isay about 70 percent.

the next 20 percent is feeling among. in europe or america do you really feel like you are amongst the country or just a pariah on the outskirts ? when they mention the word ALL AMERICAN or BRITISH PEOPLE on tv do you feel like they are refering to you seeing as you live in these places ? do you feel detached ? when you look on tv and magazines do you feel detached from what you see ? this is another reason why people in nigeria are better off.

SO IN CONCLUSION LETS TABULATE

NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA, 70 PERCENT REST OF MIND + 20 PERCENT FEELING AMONG + 1 PERCENT WEALTH = 91 PERCENT

NIGERIANS ABROAD, 20 PERCENT REST OF MIND + 2 PERCENT FEELING AMONG + 8 PERCENT WEALTH = 30 PERCENT

nigerians in nigeria are happier and more at rest mentally and spiritually
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Jun 09, 2010
felifeli:

That comes to about N230,000 per month by the way. Anyone Nigerian paying that for rent in Nigeria from own pocket (not from company money o) I join him in fervent prayer that his father's second wife should leave him alone.

Well, Like I said before, there are valid reasons why people would pay such and more even in Nigeria. There are areas where people pay upwards of $5000 in Nigeria. Yes it exists and they have their reasons.

I used to think sort of like you did but as times changed for me, my mind and perception changed about these things. It all depends on the persons circumstance and pocket.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Jun 09, 2010
Another NID vs NIN argument.
I have stayed in both and can make an assesment but I nefa reach to pay $27,000 per annum as rent.

But Kobo, One of my colleagues while in school was living in a condo around Michigan/Clinton and was paying like $3500 per month for a one bedroom apartment.

Whichever one works for you whether naija or Abidjan, all na abroad
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 6:48pm On Jun 09, 2010
dayokanu:

I have stayed in both and can make an assesment but I nefa reach to pay $27,000 per annum as rent.

But Kobo, One of my colleagues while in school was living in a condo around Michigan/Clinton and was paying like $3500 per month for a one bedroom apartment.

Yeah!! Rent is not cheap here. You can imagine I had the sort of mentality @Felifeli has now when I first moved. But after a couple of months, I realized it is actually WORTH IT to dole out that much cash and more each month, contrary to what  my previous thinking. In many cases, it makes DOLLAR sense to do so. I am even considering moving closer to the lake soon . . . I am certain I will likely have to dole out about 40% more, but in all, it is worth it to me.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by wazobiang: 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2010
uk based naija people are not really jealous. its the snobbish thing coming out of their ass they're worried about because they know you do not have it. also they pretend to be very busy. and all uk based people are zombies.

ok, let me explain, i was in the uk for the first time and there were all these marks, "look left", "look here and there" all sorts of signs even maps and directions at bus stops to show you where you are going. of course these are nice things and somebody can lose a court case without them too. but you see, their lives are so filled with "look left" sign stuff that i started feeling like a zombie. they have all sorts of rules, clearly written, that must be obeyed else, bgosaa!

in lagos that same year i crossed ikorodu road without the pedestrain crossing and got that rush. then there was all sorts of issues i had to face. brings us right back to our senses i tell u. i am sure the oyibo, sorry, uk based naija wont understand what i am yapping about.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by buzugee(m): 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2010
kobojunkie you are in columbus ohio, seriously how expensive can it get ? in chicago if you pay $2000 for rent best believe you will be downtown or closer to downtown in a plush apt overlooking the city, talk less of columbus ohio. personally if you dont live in new york or cali or boston, and you are paying over 2 grand for an apt i will say they saw you coming a mile away with MUGU written all over your head
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by felifeli: 6:58pm On Jun 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yeah!! Rent is not cheap here. You can imagine I had the sort of mentality @Felifeli has now when I first moved. But after a couple of months, I realized it is actually WORTH IT To dole out that much cash and more each month, contrary to what  my previous thinking. In many cases, it makes DOLLAR sense to do so. I am even considering moving closer to the lake soon . . . I am certain I will likely have to dole out about 40% more, but in all, it is worth it to me.
Mind you o I didn't say it is ridicylous anywhere I say it is preposterous in Nigeria. While I was living in UK about a decade ago, my house cost 1200 pounds every month minus council tax. I earned good money so it wasnt impossible for me.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Jun 09, 2010
felifeli:

Mind you o I didn't say it is ridicylous anywhere I say it is preposterous in Nigeria. While I was living in UK about a decade ago, my house cost 1200 pounds every month minus council tax.

Ok . . . I thought you meant all countries. Yeah, the Nigerian situation is definitely ridiculous in my view. The cost of Land, I still cannot get my mind around.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Pittbaby(f): 7:01pm On Jun 09, 2010
@ wazobia -ng

what you call a Zombie nation others calls an organized society . i love naija but i dislike disorganization , lets not  be blind in way we choose to see things , crossing ikorodu road is a death wish . And we think white people are crazy  

@ poster

Depends on who you hang with . Going the UK twice aint nothing. I love my cousins that visit the US and will even travel to another state to visit them when they are around.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ok . . . I thought you meant all countries. Yeah, the Nigerian situation is definitely ridiculous in my view. The cost of Land, I still cannot get my mind around.
i swear
its totally ridiculous paying such rent in Nigeria with no visible structure/amenities

if you know how much a parcel of land goes for in Lagos, u'll scream

dayokanu:

which one works for u?

i doubt if u have plans to ever come Lagos again
abi no be so?
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

abi no be so?

Why? I really don't appreciate the way we GENERALIZE here. I consider it RUDE when some of the nincompoops on here assume that because you state the FACT of the appalling levels of living in Nigeria, you are anti-Nigeria or have no desires to return to Nigeria. How can anyone make that CONNECTION and expect that it is a logical one? That I hate the situation does not in anyway mean I WILL NEVER visit the place or move down to the place. The real world does not work that way.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by mrkoma2012: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2010
The Uk has a better standard of living compared to nigeria. People living in not only the Uk but any civilised country have jobs and cant just give it all up because there cousins have turned up. I travel to nigeria at least twice a month and choose to stay in a hotel even though have got a house in lekki.This is due to serious security issues that exists in the country where you cant be to sure of when the gunmen will come for you.Even the LG chairman have like 50 mopol so what chance has your average joe stand. And not all people in nigeria live on contracts,you can be succesfull anywhere in the world just that i prefer my family o reside in the Uk due to the better standard of living without the headache of worrying whether you can sleep with you two eyes closed.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by tkb417(m): 7:17pm On Jun 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why? I really don't appreciate the way we GENERALIZE here. I consider it RUDE when some of the nincompoops on here assume that because you state the FACT of the appalling levels of living in Nigeria, you are anti-Nigeria or have no desires to return to Nigeria. How can anyone make that CONNECTION and expect that it is a logical one? That I hate the situation does not in anyway mean I WILL NEVER visit the place or move down to the place. The real world does not work that way.
Kobo
noo, i wasnt refering to you

i was asking Dayokanu; na my paddy for Lagos b4 he left and i know he wont step into Nigeria in 10yrs for reasons best know to him grin grin grin

its not about u at all
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Pittbaby(f): 7:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA, 70 PERCENT REST OF MIND + 20 PERCENT FEELING AMONG + 1 PERCENT WEALTH = 91 PERCENT

NIGERIANS ABROAD, 20 PERCENT REST OF MIND + 2 PERCENT FEELING AMONG + 18 PERCENT WEALTH = 40 PERCENT

This is my own better that your own in action . for you to do this kind of simple calculation, and exclude the naija factors , of no constant electricity , lack of security and lapses in health care even when you are paying the world for it , beats me .

Th fact of the matter is that everyones circumstances wheter in naija, China or the UK are different . I am stressed out in the US , but I was also stressed by a different set of things in Nigeria. If Nigerians are so happy and well adjusted why are so many people in church looking for a miracle or believing that their uncle is the reason behind their downfall. Our culture is different and we have a network that helps us handle stress better vs each man to himself mentality of other nations. Now that I miss
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Jun 09, 2010
tkb417:

Kobo
noo, i wasnt refering to you

i was asking Dayokanu; na my paddy for Lagos b4 he left and i know he wont step into Nigeria in 10yrs for reasons best know to him grin grin grin

its not about u at all

Ok . . . . I apologize, I thought you were trying to make the same mistake some closet idio-ts on here make each day. If you look up, you will seem some have already made it over and over without even stopping to think how stupi-d they really appear when they jump to such such conclusions.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by UpBendel(m): 7:22pm On Jun 09, 2010
Another load of rubbish!
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
I find this very funny.

Jealous of their visiting counterparts?

ROTFLMAO! Oti o! Best thread today.
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by dayokanu(m): 7:40pm On Jun 09, 2010
which one works for u?

abi no be so?

Why wont I come back, moreover I heard that Lagos babes don step up to another level and I want to validate personally

in chicago if you pay $2000 for rent best believe you will be downtown or closer to downtown in a plush apt overlooking the city

Are you sure about this? I was living in a $1050 apt in far North side on Sheridan which was like an hour away from Downtown
Re: Are Nigerians Resident In Uk Jealous Of Their Visiting Counterparts ? by hatch: 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2010
Kobojunkie and FL Gator definetly NL's most troubled women, smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

If APC Did Not Win, I Knew I Was Going To Be In Trouble- Gov Amaechi / Trader Moni: Two Million Nigerians To Get Collateral Free Loans In Buhari's Govt / Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.