Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (47916 Views)

"20m Naira Was 5m Dollar In 1990"- Jim Ovia Recounts How He Started Zenith Bank / Diamond Bank Is A Fraud!, My 80,000.00 Naira Was Stolen Since Feb. In My Account / Is The Ghana Cedi Stronger Than The Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Kharol1234: 7:51am On Aug 28, 2018
livin on past glory.....y naira no stil big pass dollar nw..rubbish
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 7:52am On Aug 28, 2018
Cantonese:
And then Babangida introduced the second tier foreign exchange market (SFEM) in august 1986. The naira was devalued that year by that government and it heralded the challenges of our currency. Before then one could travel to any country in the world with the naira and exchange it in any bureau de change. See, the problem of this country started during the Shagari regime and blown out of proportion by Babangida. Each time we attack Jonathan I wonder why the people of that age fail to tell the honest truth. This country was damaged by the military and not Jonathan. Babangida and Abacha put us into this mess we are presently facing. Neither Jonathan nor Buhari caused it. Our problems became compounded by the greedy politicians who are the animals that Trump talked about.

You are completely wrong. Our problems are caused by ALL our leaders since independence, including Jonathan and Buhari. They ALL lack foresight on how to build a prosperous nations. Awolowo, Zik and Tafa Balewa made foundational mistakes by not investing in developmental infrastructure like power, roads and rail and compounded the problem by not investing in science and technical education. Gowon made it worse by simply blowing away oil windfall of the early 70s. Subsequent governments have been short sighted, inept and corrupt.

No national currency can strengthen when you produce nothing and need foreign currency to import everything, from petrol to tooth pick. Your currency will be in an eternal free fall. Basic economics.

2 Likes

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 4Play(m): 7:54am On Aug 28, 2018
It was the "strength" of the Naira that was its weakness. When the Naira exchange rate is stable despite high inflation - as in the 1970s - it makes our economy uncompetitive and acts like a subsidy of importation. Such a real exchange rate appreciation (inflation adjusted appreciation) is disastrous for the tradable goods sector.

Think of a groundnut exporter in the 1970s whose input costs are rising as labour, transport and fuel become more expensive. Unless the currency depreciates, his business revenues in Naira will stay the same. This will make it impossible to continue to operate such a business. This is effectively what helped crush our non-oil sector.

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by hernandson(m): 7:58am On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:

Lol in 1985 that my grandfather was still working.

in 2002 I was still in primary school.
well I guess the statement didnt relate each other bcoz your grandfather will be left with 2naira
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 8:02am On Aug 28, 2018
4Play:
It was the "strength" of the Naira that was its weakness. When the Naira exchange rate is stable despite high inflation - as in the 1970s - it makes our economy uncompetitive and acts like a subsidy of importation. Such a real exchange rate appreciation (inflation adjusted appreciation) is disastrous for the tradable goods sector.

Think of a groundnut exporter in the 1970s whose input costs are rising as labour, transport and fuel become more expensive. Unless the currency depreciates, his business revenues in Naira will stay the same. This will make it impossible to continue to operate such a business. This is effectively what helped crush our non-oil sector.

The strong naira is only part of the problem, the biggest problem is the lack of infrastructure to aid production and manufacturing, so we could not produce what we consume before we even start talking of export.
No national currency can thrive on a total power output of 5,000Mw, no railway system and horrible road infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Lomprico2: 8:03am On Aug 28, 2018
Ibb actually killed this country!

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Bluffly: 8:04am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
83-85 the lifeless cow started destroying everything
And the likes of IBB made matters worst than expectations

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ebig21(m): 8:05am On Aug 28, 2018
please check 1983 to 1985, Buhari era.that was when naira had a free fall
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by iukpe: 8:05am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.

cry cry cry cry Why now? This is why we are so wicked as Nigerians. This country will be better, armed robbery and kidnappings will disappear, evil will cease when even kids and adults stop wishing people THUNDER!!!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by sureheaven(m): 8:05am On Aug 28, 2018

Don’t u have anything good left in u, ur life is so bitter that even in the morning u are writing this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by bizza45: 8:05am On Aug 28, 2018
this is how am looking at this post

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by LIFEisSIMPLE: 8:05am On Aug 28, 2018
I still insist it was PMB that messed up Nigerias economy
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by adecz: 8:06am On Aug 28, 2018
undecided undecided

During those times, Nigeria was

*exporting rubber
*exporting palm oil
*biggest producer of cocoa.
*we were self sufficient in food.
*exporting wood products.
*we manufactured all our plywood needs
*manufacturing cars, Peugeot, VW, trucks, tractors.
*exporting groundnuts
*manufacturing tyres
*few ppl went abroad for holidays
*few Nigerians bought houses abroad.
*Tourists flocked to Nigerian, bringing $ dollars.
*no large-scale looting of our treasury.
*Lever bros, PZ, Nestlé, Nasco, were @ full capacity.
*NEPA was steady.
*we produced all our fertilizer needs (NAFCON)
*We produced our agriculture inputs needs
*we did not import petroleum products
*We all used furnitures manufactured locally.
*99% of our kids studied in Nigerian universities.
*Many Africans sent their kid here to school.

The list goes on & on, and because of this, nobody was
looking to buy dollars to import anything
or to pay tuition abroad, so there was
low demand for dollars.

Now we import..
*rice
*gari
*palm oil
*groundnut oil.
*petroleum products
*generators, since Nepa is epileptic
*fruits... apples, pears, watermelon etc
*furniture*
*toothpick
*cars
* kids to schools abroad.
*cement
*iron rods, etc.
*most manufacturing industries left Nigeria
due to poor infrastructure.

In short, we import everything now. That is
why Nigeria is always referred to internationally
as "Africa's largest market". Ppl only come here
to sell. Nobody manufactures here. They sell,
change the money into dollars & send back home.

Until we wake up our industries & ban
importation of most things, the naira will
NEVER recover its value.

4 Likes

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 8:06am On Aug 28, 2018
Lomprico2:
Ibb actually killed this country!
Then what will you say of Gowon that said Nigeria's problem was not money, but how to spend it, and he solve the problem of spending money by giving civil servants jumbo bonuses.

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 4Play(m): 8:06am On Aug 28, 2018
wirinet:

You are completely wrong. Our problems are caused by ALL our leaders since independence, including Jonathan and Buhari. They ALL lack foresight on how to build a prosperous nations. Awolowo, Zik and Tafa Balewa made foundational mistakes by not investing in developmental infrastructure like power, roads and rail and compounded the problem by not investing in science and technical education. Gowon made it worse by simply blowing away oil windfall of the early 70s. Subsequent governments have been short sighted, inept and corrupt.

No national currency can strengthen when you produce nothing and need foreign currency to import everything, from petrol to tooth pick. Your currency will be in an eternal free fall. Basic economics.

You are right. Nigerian economic policies have been fundamentally wrong from day 1. We have been too reliant on state-led development and intervention in markets in a society where state institutions are weak and have no historically string foundation or track record.

For instance, the BP (I think it was) refinery was fine until we decided to put it in the hands of corrupt and inept Nigerians in the name of nationalisation. Under the facade of nationalism, much wealth was transferred to the elite.

With a corrupt government in power keen to buy off popular support by spending generously through such schemes as the Udorji salary awards, we never invested sufficiently in the infrastructural capacity needed for sustainable development. We spent more on consumption rather than capital goods.

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 8:07am On Aug 28, 2018
LIFEisSIMPLE:
I still insist it was PMB that messed up Nigerias economy
Then you are still a teen, or a very young man.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Aydesmond(m): 8:08am On Aug 28, 2018
Hell will b too small for nigeria politicians... Anyways check my signature Dakun let's talk business
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by dreamangel: 8:08am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.

He may be wrong but it is the same way you and your likes have insulted and demonized Goodluck Jonathan who is more than any of you will ever be. The same curse you gave him will also be your lot.
Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Westaslave2(f): 8:09am On Aug 28, 2018
until sophis slowpoke n dia master destroyed everytin wt envy on igbos... Check my signature to make free money online.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by redcliff: 8:09am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:

oga shutup your dirty mouth there..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by uuzba(m): 8:10am On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:
When I went to school with 5 naira that can buy like 3 things wink

My grandfather salary then was 7naira as a teacher wink

When I was in boarding house in JS1, we used to do 555
50kobo Garri
50kobo Sugar
50kobo Groudnut
-
My pocket money for the whole term was N10.00 (Ten Naira). And it will remain.
This was 1990.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by asha01: 8:11am On Aug 28, 2018
muyoge:
Though I know there was a time naira was stronger than dollars, I doubt these records because Nigeria started using naira and kobo in 1973. How come the records include 1972?

cant u see the rate is the same. probably a reflection of the later part of 1972
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Omoapena(m): 8:11am On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:

My grandfather salary then was 7naira as a teacher wink
Guy ur lie no b here
So u take more Dan half of ur grandfather salary to school?
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by koresh: 8:11am On Aug 28, 2018
hernandson:
dreamer so he would give you 5naira out of 7naira,he should better go back to school too
...me went to primary school with 50k
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by niggi4life(m): 8:12am On Aug 28, 2018
Back then, i grew up being a spoilt kid, my Dad will give me 1Naira Note to take to school, I was like super rich!!!

Do you know what 1Naira could buy then?? Infact, you as a kid holding a Note is a sign you came from a rich home,, in the era of 1/2Kobo, 1Kobo, 5Kobo, 10Kobo 25Kobo, infact, 50Kobo was a note then too...

for those younger ones who will think i am speaking gibberish i will attach the pics of those coins

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Suplexx: 8:13am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:

How did he destroy it when in his time the naira was still stronger than the US dollars? The black market is another thing totally because it was always twice the rate of the official peg.

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by addikt(m): 8:14am On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:
in roughly 2002

My grandfather salary then was 7naira as a teacher wink this one was told as a story to me

Good morning sir, Respect to you sir
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 4Play(m): 8:14am On Aug 28, 2018
wirinet:

The strong naira is only part of the problem, the biggest problem is the lack of infrastructure to aid production and manufacturing, so we could not produce what we consume before we even start talking of export.
No national currency can thrive on a total power output of 5,000Mw, no railway system and horrible road infrastructure.

Good monetary policy should come first before infrastructure. Infrastructure is virtually useless if the monetary policy framework subsidises imports.

2 Likes

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by zomby(m): 8:16am On Aug 28, 2018
selemempe:
see mumu...the joke is on u...cos i know u are not related to buhari...u are just another buhari fan who cant think strategically.

Dogmatic hausa ppl who are inductrinated to always participate in electoral and religious matters...most of u in the north dont know wat is called quadratic equation...yet it is empty fools like u who would rush to get their pvc in order to ensure the south never moves forward...of course u get help from ur useful idiots in the west....so kudos

If the north are mumu and the west are idiots, what would you call the people in the south?
Because with all your knowledge of quadratic equation, the percentage of house girls and house boys that come from the south are higher than any other part of the country...And your total population in the country is far less than the population of the northerners or westerners.
So, you should slow down a bit and focus on your people; Nigeria did not get here only because of the northerners or the westerners...every part of the country has one or two things to do with the downfall of this great nation.
Instead of pointing figures or calling names, may be it is a fantastic idea to join hands and dig ourselves out of this mess.

No one is better than the other!

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Myself2(m): 8:16am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:

Exactly, the lifeless cow sucks the life of everything he touches

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 28, 2018
Yes and some mutherfvckers will say its Buhari's fault. Like he's d one controlling Nigeria and her citizens.
Why have we refused to think and learn that despite trying different presidents , we still cant find a good solution to the Nigerian problem.The problem is NOT with our leaders, the problem is with the masses.

The Youths are only good at insulting men who are old enough to be their grand parents, they are totally devoid of stable reasoning and planning. 2019 is around the corner and suddenly, Atiku and Saraki have become saints and saviours of Nigerian Democracy.
Mark my words , Nigeria can never become good if we dont change the way we think and act as Nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How A Pregnant Lady Extorted Money From Customers At A Bank / Best Forex Trading Platform In Nigeria / Advertising On Nigerian TV And Radio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.