Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,343 members, 7,836,413 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (47918 Views)

"20m Naira Was 5m Dollar In 1990"- Jim Ovia Recounts How He Started Zenith Bank / Diamond Bank Is A Fraud!, My 80,000.00 Naira Was Stolen Since Feb. In My Account / Is The Ghana Cedi Stronger Than The Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by madridguy(m): 10:50am On Aug 28, 2018
Speechless.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by JBL316: 10:56am On Aug 28, 2018
Please look at the graph below. Note
1. During democracy our politician devalue the naira
2. Democracy=Rule of Law=Devaluation of naira= Increase in the suffering of the masses

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=USD&C2=NGN&DD1=&MM1=01&YYYY1=1972&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=01&MM2=08&YYYY2=2018&btnOK=Go%21

THE YOUTHS BE WISE! THE POLITICIANS ARE STEALING OUR FUTURE.

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Bambambiglo: 10:59am On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
nawaooo ...as in he is lying or what?.... he is very correct you could buy a whole lot of things with 5naira then....

2002? shocked

That is a lie sir!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 1miccza: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
nawaooo ...as in he is lying or what?.... he is very correct you could buy a whole lot of things with 5naira then....

He probably wasn't born then, infact 50 kobo then was gold... We had 1kobo, 1/2 kobo 10kobo etc
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Ijaya123: 11:49am On Aug 28, 2018
EmekaMD:
it became weaker than dollar actually..
Before Buhari naira used to trade 0.something against dollar.. after Buhari is trade for about 1 or even 2.something..

It became worst under IBB we know..
But Mr Integrity hasn't admitted he is a failure jus like the others too..

There you go wrong again.

Under the periods listed, there was no period the naira traded at 1 or 2. Something.

You might not like Buhari, fine with me. But stop spreading lies and propaganda.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by karimusa: 11:52am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
83-85 the lifeless cow started destroying everything

1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Tundehano(m): 12:12pm On Aug 28, 2018
dacanv:
N'Anya Adam
kai
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 28, 2018
ibegeeee:

You are almost correct but the National Development Plans - which were never really carried through in any case were themselves flawed and not aimed at strengthening the economy in a sustainable way. The fundamental flaw was setting up industries for import substation instead of export oriented industry and businesses. We always (especially during Buhari regimes) that if we curtail imports and produce our own we will be richer. Whereas the Far East Asian countries have always concentrated on producing goods and services to export out of their countries, in the first instance they never looked at their home markets - think about it, 40 years ago how many Chinese children were playing with the cheap plastic toys that China was famous for exporting?

We have been a mono-economy since the early 1970's and prior to that we relied on cheap cash crops to survive.

We can never have a currency that can be comparable to other currencies if we export so little compared to our needs.

BTW the era of strong naira to the dollar was a fallacy and disaster waiting to happen. Only the privileged few benefited from it.

When dollar was $1 to N1 how many fully employed security guards in any Nigerian company or ministry could afford to buy a car?

yet a security guard in America at that time could afford to buy a car. So how did the so-called strong naira help the average Nigerian?

again you are talking out of ignorance. import substitution is a step along the path to export. Dangote now exports but he started first by import substitution. There was nothing wrong with the implementation of the national development plans until they were truncated. many of the infrastructure we continue to enjoy today were from those plans. Many of the Nigerian doctors that are doing great things abroad are a result of the development plans, the question you should ask is why are Nigeria's doctors abroad. The problem was the military came in and halted everything.

My mothers driver bought a brand new 504 GL back in the day. teachers/civil servants bought brand new cars then. what is a security guard doing with a brand new car.

stop talking out of ignorance
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by rock003: 12:29pm On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.

You are very correct. Buhari reduced naira value from 260 to 360 per dollar. He also lied to us that he would reduce pump price, but instead increased it from less than 100 per litre to 145 naira per litre.

So, buhari has done more evil and deception than anybody else can ever do in a his lifetime.

Sirjamo, the shameless buhari slave, Buhari is a lifeless idiot. Go and die if it will make you feel better.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by TaiKuun(m): 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2018
Macopol01:
Nigeria can not be better except we choose a God sent messager, who wi rule, govern accordingly. A man dat wi not b an errand boy to dz shit cal dem God father, a man with a vision to serve not 2 save, to give not 2 dposit hs acct wt naija money. And we nigerians, i want 2 ask u guys, if u want 2 send me an errand 2 do some works 4u n 2 turn ur future dat had bn in daknes to b bright, d question s who sud pay each other, i think s u. But nigerians xpet d presdt candidate 2 bring billions 4 campaign, we sud b d1 campaignin 4 him, dnt let hm spend anytin, we nid a change, n d change bgin wt youths, let me tell u b4 dey do bobo or trick us dat we ar leaders of 2moro, b wise we ar leaders of 2day n 2moro bcuz 2moro start 2day n it can only b fruitful wen use 2day 2 prepare 4 it. The Bible says “my people ar perishing bcuz dey lack wisdom” Naija youths lets wake up, encourage n enlight ourself. Because 4 nigeria 2 get beta it bgin wit u n 1. God bless Nigeria.
so what happens after his 8 years of democratic rule? he would surely leave and the cycle starts again. I think the problem is democracy. I never liked that style of government.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ShenTeh(m): 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:

Are you dumb or ignorant. I didn't say he earned 7naira in 2002,i said 5naira was my lunch money in school and his salary was told to me by my mum that as a teacher then he earned about 7naira in 1978 or so

If you cannot hold your point and be civil in communicating it, you will be in no mean terms be treated a little lower than the lower animals.

It would be understandable if comprehension eludes you, but how what you wrote beats your understanding is the big awe here. I have quoted what you wrote and pointed out the possible flaws to you, but than be civil and honourable in correction or replay your thought clearly, uou'd rather throw tantrum like an happy worm

Am I any surprised,

Should you quote or mention me again without decorum, I shall not make your day in the mud with you.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 1:07pm On Aug 28, 2018
geometricaxis:

again you are talking out of ignorance. import substitution is a step along the path to export. Dangote now exports but he started first by import substitution. There was nothing wrong with the implementation of the national development plans until they were truncated. many of the infrastructure we continue to enjoy today were from those plans. Many of the Nigerian doctors that are doing great things abroad are a result of the development plans, the question you should ask is why are Nigeria's doctors abroad. The problem was the military came in and halted everything.

My mothers driver bought a brand new 504 GL back in the day. teachers/civil servants bought brand new cars then. what is a security guard doing with a brand new car.

stop talking out of ignorance

I am tired of schooling "lazy" youth who have a mental blockage against learning critical issues. I studied architecture at Ife, I studied the industrial revolution and it's effect on western civilization (and other civilizations also ). So I am telling you that you cannot industrialise (or develop) without first power, second steel, third science and technical education, fourthly efficient mass transport network and lastly raw materials. The only element we possess of the five is raw materials. And it was the search for raw materials that gave rise to colonialization. Europe had the other 4 elements but lacked raw materials.

Today, we are struggling to generate 5000Mws of electricity, we do not have a steel industry, we lack practical science and technological research centres and we have non existent transport infrastructure, and you are talking about development plan.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by amaniro: 1:10pm On Aug 28, 2018
ShenTeh:

If you cannot hold your point and be civil in communicating it, you will be in no mean terms be treated a little lower than the lower animals.

It would be understandable if comprehension eludes you, but how what you wrote beats your understanding is the big awe here. I have quoted what you wrote and pointed out the possible flaws to you, but than be civil and honourable in correction or replay your thought clearly, uou'd rather throw tantrum like an happy worm

Am I any surprised,

Should you quote or mention me again without decorum, I shall not make your day in the mud with you.

All your grammar up there ended the post without making sense. Try to prove your point and stop speaking grammar darling.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 28, 2018
Naira cant be great again,there is a conspiracy to depreciate nigeria's asset so they can buy it for a lesser value and for cheap by the elites and political class....Brace yourselves up for what is happening in Venezuela nlanders,our debt has far risen to 22million dollars if i am correct and we only depend on oil as a source of income,accumulate more usd as you can and dont save your money in naira...
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 28, 2018
wirinet:

I am tired of schooling "lazy" youth who have a mental blockage against learning critical issues. I studied architecture at Ife, I studied the industrial revolution and it's effect on western civilization (and other civilizations also ). So I am telling you that you cannot industrialise (or develop) without first power, second steel, third science and technical education, fourthly efficient mass transport network and lastly raw materials. The only element we possess of the five is raw materials. And it was raw materials that gave rise to colonialization. Europe had the other 4 elements but lacked raw materials.

Today, we are struggling to generate 5000Mws of electricity, we do not have a steel industry, we lack practical science and technological research centres and we have non existent transport infrastructure, and you are talking about development plan.

you dont talk like someone who has a degree in anything and if you had any real intelligence there are clues in my post that i am not a youth. We have numerous steel industries, they arent fuinctioning, we have numerous hydro dams, you will be shocked how many lie fallow, with all the equipment obsolete and never commissioned, that no one knows about. Are these the fault of the people who conceived them or the people who never followed through on the noble plans of their predecessors? 36 years ago jakande started the lagos metro, it was cancelled when the military came over, is it jakande's fault? We have refineries, they were in the plan and they were completed, is it the fault of Awo,Zik,Tafa,or Gowon that they arent working today? There are steel mills in Katsina, Jos, Aladja,Osogbo, Ajaokuta all these came about from the 3rd NDP that was never fully executed because the military took over so get your facts right and point your fingers in the right direction if you want to blame somebody. You are clearly too young to remmember and probably went Ife when Ife had lost it's glory because you dont sound like someone school in Ife in it's glory days. Ife in itself was the vision of Awolowo, the beauty and excellence you see there should show you the kind of foresight he had. We dont build universities like that anymore. All these things you list we had in the 80s so clearly the blame is not on the people you listed.

The harder you try to sound knowledgeable the more you show up yourself as completely ignorant of the subject matter. Argue like an educated person please. If you ent to ife, then you have a degree and attended a once great institution because some great man had a vision, and you sit there and lambast him? it's people like you that will will be doing allright sir to the very people who ruined our country? You ingrate!!!

Anybody who went to Ife and can say Awolowo had no vision is a fool, a slowpoke and a bastard!!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by jucyace(m): 1:44pm On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
83-85 the lifeless cow started destroying everything
thats what beats me. we know he is a cow. and we still vote him in. how can we allow a cow lead us twice. and even thinking of a third time
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by driand(m): 1:46pm On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:
When I went to school with 5 naira that can buy like 3 things wink
in roughly 2002

My grandfather salary then was 7naira as a teacher wink this one was told as a story to me
that's not true, 2002 goldspot or limca was #10, bread was #10... So wat was #5 buying you?
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by driand(m): 1:47pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
days a big lie!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2018
geometricaxis:

you dont talk like someone who has a degree in anything and if you had any real intelligence there are clues in my post that i am not a youth. We have numerous steel industries, we have numerous hydro dams. you will be shocked how many lie fallow, never commissioned, that no one knows about. Are these the fault of the people who conceived them or the people who never followed through on the plan? 36 years ago jakande started the lagos metro, it was cancelled when the military came over, is it jakande's fault? We have refineries, they were in the plan and they were completed, is it the fault of Awo,Zik,Tafa,or Gowon that they arent working today? You are clearly too young to remmember and probably went Ife when Ife had lost it's glory because you dont sound like someone school in Ife in it's glory days. All these things you list we had in the 80s so clearly the blame is not on the people you listed.

The harder you try to sound knowledgeable the more you show up yourself as completely ignorant of the subject matter. Argue like an educated person please.

I will ignore the insults, since you claim to be matured and not a youth, or will accord you some respect.

We never had a steel industry in the true sense of the word. The only attempt at a proper steel plant was Ajaokuta with was badly planned, badly designed and horribly executed. The other one delta steel company was a joke. The so called steel industries only managed to some produce steel rods, which is used in the construction industry. Even at that we imported most of our steel rods.

The steel critical for development is steel sheets, which are used for machine tools, machines themselves and moulds for metal, plastic and ceramic forms. Ajaokuta was designed to produce both rods and sheets, the sheet section was never built. Even to build refineries you need steel sheets.

Yes, we built refineries, but the main problem was the running and maintenance of these refineries. When you fail to provide technical education for you people, you will need to import the manpower to design, build and maintain the refineries. Now after the refineries are built and commissioned and the imported manpower leaves, what happens when the refinery breaks down and your need to repair the refineries?

I heard about Jakande's metro line, but I do not know how it would have fitted into nigeria's overall development plan. Would it have been able to carry goods and people from the industrial and agricultural hinterland to the ports?

As I said earlier, Awo? Tafa and Zik did not plan for Nigeria's developmental independence, they simply continued with the colonial policy of making the African colonies a source of raw material for Britain.

Awo was my hero in my youth and I cried when he died in 1986. I believed his welfarist philosophy then, But he was not infallible. It was later I learnt he made the same mistake all other post colonial African president made, the continued with the colonial policies of their colonial masters. Awo should not have made us to continue to serve the British economy by being a supplier of cocoa, rubber and timber. He should have instead invested heavily in power, rail, steel, science education, and locally consumed items
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 28, 2018
That you say you "heard about Jakande's metro line" tells me you are a young person and you were not around when Nigeria was Nigeria. if you are too young to be aware of metro line, Nigeria had collapsed by the time your were conscious of your environment and so it's no surprise you talk like you do. Take it from me, most of what you wrote is nonsense, you did not live in Nigeria when Nigeria was a great place, (BTW nor did you attend Ife when our lecturers were, Havard,Oxford, Cambridge etc trained) so you are not in a position to talk and when those who did talk so instead of arguing, listen to them.

The problem with Nigeria started when the military took over, there was corruption ofcourse but nowhere near what we have today, there were ill conceived projects but there are ill conceived projects all over the world. Kaduna refinery was an ill conceived project (heavy crude v light we produce) but it worked. If the military and particularly IBB hadnt taken over, we were heading in the right direction. Most of the infrastructure we have today and certainly the best of them were built by the very same people you malign. Lagos Ibadan that we use today was completed in 1976 it took less than 2 years to build.

The reason why you didnt get the best education (no offence, but you dont argue like someone who got an education when education in Nigeria was education) is because you studied under the military after they started messing around with education

2 Likes

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by BALLOSKI: 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
he spent 5 naira to buy a 3 things during break, but his grandfather's salary was N7 . Make u and amaniro fear God
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ModestGal(f): 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2018
wirinet:

You are completely wrong. Our problems are caused by ALL our leaders since independence, including Jonathan and Buhari. They ALL lack foresight on how to build a prosperous nations. Awolowo, Zik and Tafa Balewa made foundational mistakes by not investing in developmental infrastructure like power, roads and rail and compounded the problem by not investing in science and technical education. Gowon made it worse by simply blowing away oil windfall of the early 70s. Subsequent governments have been short sighted, inept and corrupt.

No national currency can strengthen when you produce nothing and need foreign currency to import everything, from petrol to tooth pick. Your currency will be in an eternal free fall. Basic economics.
Well said brother. You have spoken my mind.
The problem of Nigeria is more of IQ,and less of corruption. We have failed to develop all these years because all the leaders we have had always find it difficult to run the country. Corruption is also present in so many nations in the world and they are not all retarded as Nigeria is. This is the very reason I have lost hope in this country. Because they will continue to tackle problems fr where they should and they will make unreasonable policies.
In all our government seats,most of them have lower IQs,they lack intelligence, they are clueless. Now coupled with other problems, they can't move the country toward.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Sadiyaene(f): 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:
When I went to school with 5 naira that can buy like 3 things wink
in roughly 2002

My grandfather salary then was 7naira as a teacher wink this one was told as a story to me

U done old no be small oo shocked grin
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by BALLOSKI: 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.
I'm impressed by this reply. There's no way that donkey can achieve what Buhari great grandchildren can in his lifetime.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ModestGal(f): 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2018
[quote author=anonymous1759 post=70678062][/quote]
You are right. Join me brother, let's give up on the government of this country. Because the problem is not with the government but with everyone, every citizen of Nigeria. Our culture is very bad,it teaches tribalism in itself. That's why it has eaten up on almost everyone.
Our person as Nigerian, we are only concerned about our own. People of our tribes, people of our religion. Am damn tired.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ModestGal(f): 2:26pm On Aug 28, 2018
ibegeeee:

You are almost correct but the National Development Plans - which were never really carried through in any case were themselves flawed and not aimed at strengthening the economy in a sustainable way. The fundamental flaw was setting up industries for import substation instead of export oriented industry and businesses. We always (especially during Buhari regimes) that if we curtail imports and produce our own we will be richer. Whereas the Far East Asian countries have always concentrated on producing goods and services to export out of their countries, in the first instance they never looked at their home markets - think about it, 40 years ago how many Chinese children were playing with the cheap plastic toys that China was famous for exporting?

We have been a mono-economy since the early 1970's and prior to that we relied on cheap cash crops to survive.

We can never have a currency that can be comparable to other currencies if we export so little compared to our needs.

BTW the era of strong naira to the dollar was a fallacy and disaster waiting to happen. Only the privileged few benefited from it.

When dollar was $1 to N1 how many fully employed security guards in any Nigerian company or ministry could afford to buy a car?

yet a security guard in America at that time could afford to buy a car. So how did the so-called strong naira help the average Nigerian?
Wow,so many smart people in here. O love your write up

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by youngds: 2:36pm On Aug 28, 2018
Cantonese:
And then Babangida introduced the second tier foreign exchange market (SFEM) in august 1986. The naira was devalued that year by that government and it heralded the challenges of our currency. Before then one could travel to any country in the world with the naira and exchange it in any bureau de change. See, the problem of this country started during the Shagari regime and blown out of proportion by Babangida. Each time we attack Jonathan I wonder why the people of that age fail to tell the honest truth. This country was damaged by the military and not Jonathan. Babangida and Abacha put us into this mess we are presently facing. Neither Jonathan nor Buhari caused it. Our problems became compounded by the greedy politicians who are the animals that Trump talked about.
True talk
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2018
I am still responding to you because you said you are senior citizen, if you are one of those uncouth youth that have taken over this forum and only contributions are insults, memes and senseless posts, I would have ignored you.

geometricaxis:
That you say you "heard about Jakande's metro line" tells me you are a young person and you were not around when Nigeria was Nigeria. if you are too young to be aware of metro line, Nigeria had collapsed by the time your were conscious of your environment and so it's no surprise you talk like you do. Take it from me, most of what you wrote is nonsense, you did not live in Nigeria when Nigeria was a great place, (BTW nor did you attend Ife when our lecturers were, Havard,Oxford, Cambridge etc trained) so you are not in a position to talk and when those who did talk so instead of arguing, listen to them.

I only heard of Jakande's Metro line because I lived a very sheltered youth. I lived and school on the island (Ikoyi and V/I) until I entered Ife at about the age of 19. I never crossed Carter Bridge to go to the mainland (except when I travelled abroad once a year.) So there was no way I would have physically seen the infrastructure for the metro line.

So what happened to the infrastructure for jakande's metro line, we're they destroyed by the Buhari administration?

The problem with Nigeria started when the military took over, there was corruption ofcourse but nowhere near what we have today, there were ill conceived projects but there are ill conceived projects all over the world. Kaduna refinery was an ill conceived project (heavy crude v light we produce) but it worked. If the military and particularly IBB hadnt taken over, we were heading in the right direction. Most of the infrastructure we have today and certainly the best of them were built by the very same people you malign. Lagos Ibadan that we use today was completed in 1976 it took less than 2 years to build.
Which military take over are you talking about? Is it the 1966 coup or coups or the 1983 coup? If you said the January 1966 coup, I could have agreed with you, but still, I won't.
Nigeria's problem started at independence. If you read about the British colonial empire, you will know that the British always leave mines (political and economic) behind when they are leaving. They make sure the country remain unstable and play the contending groups against each other. All these they do to enable them continue to exploit their people and resources. The only country to escape that mine was the US, and they did this by jettisoning British imposed constitution and rewriting their own afresh. Well, that is a story for another day.
Corruption started at independence, especially in the West. The western politicians were fantastically corrupted, but there were a very few of them that tilled the national purse. The first couple was carry out supposedly because Kaduna Nzeogu was appalled by the corruption among the political class. Festus Okotie-Eboh, the then finance minister was my inlaw and I know the children. Till date, the children are still living off their fathers wealth.

The reason why you didnt get the best education (no offence, but you dont argue like someone who got an education when education in Nigeria was education) is because you studied under the military after they started messing around with education

Believe me, I got the best education Nigeria could offer. Yes, when I got to Ife, most of the expatriates had left, but a few remained, but that is beside the point. The point is that Nigeria's education was not tailored along nigeria's developmental needs, at the policy level. We concentrated more on acquisition of theoretical knowledge and degrees, than trying to solve local problems. At the end we still depend on imported manpower to solve critical technical problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ModestGal(f): 2:51pm On Aug 28, 2018
I am a child of the indomie generation.....Accepted
With everything I have read here,I now understand that the only reason naira was higher than dollar was mere LUCK. And any country that is praying for LUCK and MIRACLE will never grow.
Our naira became very weak because the luck wasn't there anymore.
And maybe the reason why the situation of the country is this bad is because we have always hold on to LUCK,imagine we never had cashcrop,nor oil,I guess by now,we might be doing better than some countries.
As far as our leaders are concerned, I give all of them an F9 because they never thought of the future,they were only concerned of the present.
One of our major problem is our CULTURE, for the past years,our culture continue to teach us TRIBALISM & DISCRIMINATION coupled with SELF CENTEREDNESS.
We stand on the other tribes weakness and judge them with it instead of trying to help them out from it. Imagine the world we have now,we would have been up to perfection let's say my own tribe is only interested in teaching your own tribe some of our own virtues and vice versa. I am a Yoruba girl and I grew up hearing all sorts of bad things attached to the Easterners. It wasn't until I was older that I got to know that the Easterners also have an amazing culture. They also attach all sorts of bad things to the Yoruba people, as well as the Northern people. The way the Northern people hate the Easterners is at an alarming state,I wonder why they have this. To God be the glory,things have turned around, we hear so many atrocities in the west now that I tell.my grandmother who was then always advising us not to ever stay close with the Easterners because they are full of abominable things like killing people, eating human being e.t.c which was very true then but now the Westerners do that the more.
Conclusion.....
This country will never get better if we remain tribalistic and discriminatory because it will always affect our judgement of things for instance voting for the wrong person OR supporting the wrong person.
Also I will always support people with great intellectual abilities over someone who merely have strengths or that is very just,pious nor lack corruption.
If you don't have the brain,you can never give is a great nation even if you are as purified as JESUS CHRIST.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by JacksonOyibo: 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:

Not in 2002 as he claims.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How A Pregnant Lady Extorted Money From Customers At A Bank / Best Forex Trading Platform In Nigeria / Advertising On Nigerian TV And Radio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.