Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,459 members, 7,836,815 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (47924 Views)

"20m Naira Was 5m Dollar In 1990"- Jim Ovia Recounts How He Started Zenith Bank / Diamond Bank Is A Fraud!, My 80,000.00 Naira Was Stolen Since Feb. In My Account / Is The Ghana Cedi Stronger Than The Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ibegeeee: 9:13am On Aug 28, 2018
geometricaxis:

you are talking out of ignorance, please educate yourself on the 1st (1962-68) ,2nd (70-74) and 3rd (75-80) national development plans and find out under whose watch we abandoned national development plans and commenced haphazard development.

You are almost correct but the National Development Plans - which were never really carried through in any case were themselves flawed and not aimed at strengthening the economy in a sustainable way. The fundamental flaw was setting up industries for import substation instead of export oriented industry and businesses. We always (especially during Buhari regimes) that if we curtail imports and produce our own we will be richer. Whereas the Far East Asian countries have always concentrated on producing goods and services to export out of their countries, in the first instance they never looked at their home markets - think about it, 40 years ago how many Chinese children were playing with the cheap plastic toys that China was famous for exporting?

We have been a mono-economy since the early 1970's and prior to that we relied on cheap cash crops to survive.

We can never have a currency that can be comparable to other currencies if we export so little compared to our needs.

BTW the era of strong naira to the dollar was a fallacy and disaster waiting to happen. Only the privileged few benefited from it.

When dollar was $1 to N1 how many fully employed security guards in any Nigerian company or ministry could afford to buy a car?

yet a security guard in America at that time could afford to buy a car. So how did the so-called strong naira help the average Nigerian?
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 9:14am On Aug 28, 2018
geometricaxis:

you are talking out of ignorance, please educate yourself on the 1st (1962-68) ,2nd (70-74) and 3rd (75-80) national development plans and find out under whose watch we abandoned national development plans and commenced haphazard development.

Nigeria has never been short of plans, the problem had always been implementation of plans. Nigeria has the best plans in the world on paper, it is how to turn plans to reality that has always been the problem.

Awolowo, Zik and Tafa Balewa continued with the colonialist's policy of using Nigeria as a source of primary raw materials, so they did not invest in developmental infrastructure and science and technical education. They continued investing in primary raw materials like agricultural and mineral and investing in administrative education like law;and accountancy. We exported raw materials and imported finished goods. That put us in perpetual dependence on foreign finished goods.
Awolowo even invested in cocoa, which we do not eat, instead of those we actually consume. So we needed to export cocoa in order to get dollars or pounds to import things we needed.
Same policy has been with us since. We export crude oil to import petrol, kerosene and diesel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by justifyme(m): 9:15am On Aug 28, 2018
I could remember buying akara #20 back then in late 90's, i couldn't finish it, was begging my school mates to help me
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 28, 2018
Ugosample:

Japan and South Korea are developed economies, and are where Nigeria will not be in 50 years today

Yet their currencies are weak
Exactly my point.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by udemzyudex(m): 9:16am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.

Nonsense talk, what has achieved that others haven't?

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by CodeTemplar: 9:21am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
83-85 the lifeless cow started destroying everything
I tell ya.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 28, 2018
DAMNNNNNN!...... #the labour of our heroes past IS IN VAIN!
the shithole is long overdue for RE-COLONISATION!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 2kris(m): 9:23am On Aug 28, 2018
blackpanda:

Na wa o...kontinuu
lol
For your mind him the lie
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by CodeTemplar: 9:24am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.
Hitler too achieved a lot you know.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Akabuking: 9:26am On Aug 28, 2018
realistically, northerners are the problem we have.IBB finished our economy, buhary has buried it.

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by AreaFada2: 9:27am On Aug 28, 2018
OneCorner:

Wetin dz one dey talk bayi

Buhari's poor economic management was inherited by IBB. Life got much harder within Bubu's 20 months. IBB attempted to correct it with SAP. With advise of IMF & World Bank. Against advise of local economists who feared inflation. IBB used the wrong medicine to try to cure the economic ailment Buhari left behind. You must witnessed and lived it it to understand, not told.

The 1983 coup destroyed Nigeria's credibility. Trying to keep the Naira strong artificially was going to be hard economically anyway. Lots of people lost their jobs under Bubu. Political stability & rule of law/democracy had become important in maintaining as sustainable economy. With 1983 coup Nigeria lost both. Worst still, after 20 months, Buhari had not even a road map to return to democracy.

People yap about "Buhari was not involved in the coup, he was called to take over". A fat lie. Buhari wanted power since 1979. He was against OBJ's following Murtala Mohamed's 1979 return to democracy. I have explained all here over the years.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 2kris(m): 9:27am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
a very good example of born to rule mentality
If though he is good or bad power must remain in their hand
Bro I am very disappointed with you
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Tabbaz(m): 9:30am On Aug 28, 2018
Nawa o. Can naira ever become so strong again

Who destroyed us cry shocked
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Blessed200016: 9:32am On Aug 28, 2018
Fellow Nigerians, the deed has been done.

What is the way forward ? How do we make #1 equate $1

Or is it that those at the helms of our economic affairs didn't know the right things to do
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 28, 2018
selemempe:
see mumu...the joke is on u...cos i know u are not related to buhari...u are just another buhari fan who cant think strategically.

Dogmatic hausa ppl who are inductrinated to always participate in electoral and religious matters...most of u in the north dont know wat is called quadratic equation...yet it is empty fools like u who would rush to get their pvc in order to ensure the south never moves forward...of course u get help from ur useful idiots in the west....so kudos

My brother, you should be happy instead that he knows who you meant when you said "lifeless cow"
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Ijaya123: 9:37am On Aug 28, 2018
EmekaMD:
Who noticed that naira became weaker to dollar during Buhari's first coming?

And see how far he's taken naira in his second coming..

You're still wondering what his third coming would look like for the naira should he be re-elected again?

Your guess is as good as mine!!

You’re wrong. Naira did not become weaker under Buhari. It did when IBB took over.

Ask your parents for proper history.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by kushercain: 9:42am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:

Foolish man..why not be the president instead

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by AfonjaSlaves(f): 9:43am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
another brain Dead Zone-B
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by hopexter(m): 9:44am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:

Look at someone that cant even win SUG secretary for a poly ranting here. :-XAnd the lifeless cow is still rulling an active Gorilla like you all these years.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 28, 2018
IBB destroyed the country and would not allow MKO rebuild it.

I don't believe Buhari has what it takes now...but he is not responsible for the problem we have
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:

U mean the back to back recession he achieved? grin
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ShenTeh(m): 9:53am On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:

Lol in 1985 that my grandfather was still working.

in 2002 I was still in primary school.

You may need to take a second look at your initial posts.

Yes, in 2002, one could buy alot with #5 but that that was your dad's pay, No I don't agree.

I was in my second year in the university then and best example I can think of now is that at about that time taxi fares in Ilorin were jacked from #10 to #20 naira and us students kept paying the #10 to any taxi headed toward and out of Unilorin at the time. It is #50 today.

In 1992, my mum was earning about #435 as a class teacher in the Education Ministry's employ.

Between 1997 and 1999, as a teenager in the sawmill, I had older people working for me and they earned between 70 to #250 per day depending on their input and available jobs.
Again, you may need to cross-check what your dad earned at the time.

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by dolapo2009: 9:55am On Aug 28, 2018
. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Sirjamo:
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by amaniro: 9:56am On Aug 28, 2018
ShenTeh:

You may need to take a second look at your initial posts.

Yes, in 2002, one could buy alot with #5 but that that was your dad's pay, No I don't agree.

I was in my second year in the university then and best example I can think of now is that at about that time taxi fares in Ilorin were jacked from #10 to #20 naira and us students kept paying the #10 to any taxi headed toward and out of Unilori at the time. It is #50 today.

In 1992, my mum was earning about #435 as a class teacher in the Education Ministry's employ.

Between 1997 and 1999, as a teenager in the sawmill, I had older people working for me and they earned between 70 to #250 per day depending on their input and available jobs.
Again, you may need to cross-check what your dad earned at the time.

My grandfather you're still speaking of died 10years ago. I said it was told to me as a story either 7 naira or 70 naira but am pretty sure it's 7naira.1978 there about
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by itu404(m): 10:08am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
TRUE TALK!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by ShenTeh(m): 10:10am On Aug 28, 2018
amaniro:

My grandfather you're still speaking of died 10years ago. I said it was told to me as a story either 7 naira or 70 naira but am pretty sure it's 7naira.1978 there about

amaniro:
When I went to school with 5 naira that can buy like 3 things wink
in roughly 2002

My grandfather salary then was 7naira as a teacher wink this one was told as a story to me

I would take it that you now deny your claim that your granddad was earning about N7 in 2002.

That's fine and 'agreeable'

Ever8054:
nawaooo ...as in he is lying or what?.... he is very correct you could buy a whole lot of things with 5naira then....
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by CaptainFM1: 10:16am On Aug 28, 2018
Macopol01:
Nigeria can not be better except we choose a God sent messager, who wi rule, govern accordingly. A man dat wi not b an errand boy to dz shit cal dem God father, a man with a vision to serve not 2 save, to give not 2 dposit hs acct wt naija money. And we nigerians, i want 2 ask u guys, if u want 2 send me an errand 2 do some works 4u n 2 turn ur future dat had bn in daknes to b bright, d question s who sud pay each other, i think s u. But nigerians xpet d presdt candidate 2 bring billions 4 campaign, we sud b d1 campaignin 4 him, dnt let hm spend anytin, we nid a change, n d change bgin wt youths, let me tell u b4 dey do bobo or trick us dat we ar leaders of 2moro, b wise we ar leaders of 2day n 2moro bcuz 2moro start 2day n it can only b fruitful wen use 2day 2 prepare 4 it. The Bible says “my people ar perishing bcuz dey lack wisdom” Naija youths lets wake up, encourage n enlight ourself. Because 4 nigeria 2 get beta it bgin wit u n 1. God bless Nigeria.

The man we honestly need now is Kingsley Moghalu
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by semyman: 10:21am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
Fuuuuuul
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by phase1: 10:22am On Aug 28, 2018
selemempe:
see mumu...the joke is on u...cos i know u are not related to buhari...u are just another buhari fan who cant think strategically.

Dogmatic hausa ppl who are inductrinated to always participate in electoral and religious matters...most of u in the north dont know wat is called quadratic equation...yet it is empty fools like u who would rush to get their pvc in order to ensure the south never moves forward...of course u get help from ur useful idiots in the west....so kudos

See savage reply to sirjamo the muslimumudeen. grin
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by amaniro: 10:24am On Aug 28, 2018
ShenTeh:

I would take it that you now deny your claim that your granddad was earning about N7 in 2002.

That's fine and 'agreeable'

Are you dumb or ignorant. I didn't say he earned 7naira in 2002,i said 5naira was my lunch money in school and his salary was told to me by my mum that as a teacher then he earned about 7naira in 1978 or so
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by EmekaMD(m): 10:28am On Aug 28, 2018
Ijaya123:

You’re wrong. Naira did not become weaker under Buhari. It did when IBB took over.

Ask your parents for proper history.
it became weaker than dollar actually..
Before Buhari naira used to trade 0.something against dollar.. after Buhari is trade for about 1 or even 2.something..

It became worst under IBB we know..
But Mr Integrity hasn't admitted he is a failure jus like the others too..
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Dicksonpal: 10:45am On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
nawaooo ...as in he is lying or what?.... he is very correct you could buy a whole lot of things with 5naira then....
things were cheap den, three of us share 10naira, 3 naira goes to me my eldest takes 4 naira

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How A Pregnant Lady Extorted Money From Customers At A Bank / Best Forex Trading Platform In Nigeria / Advertising On Nigerian TV And Radio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.