Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,360 members, 7,836,468 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) (47920 Views)

"20m Naira Was 5m Dollar In 1990"- Jim Ovia Recounts How He Started Zenith Bank / Diamond Bank Is A Fraud!, My 80,000.00 Naira Was Stolen Since Feb. In My Account / Is The Ghana Cedi Stronger Than The Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by 8stargeneral: 8:19am On Aug 28, 2018
Our leaders destroying d country right from ages cry cry
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 28, 2018
wirinet:

You are completely wrong. Our problems are caused by ALL our leaders since independence, including Jonathan and Buhari. They ALL lack foresight on how to build a prosperous nations. Awolowo, Zik and Tafa Balewa made foundational mistakes by not investing in developmental infrastructure like power, roads and rail and compounded the problem by not investing in science and technical education. Gowon made it worse by simply blowing away oil windfall of the early 70s. Subsequent governments have been short sighted, inept and corrupt.

No national currency can strengthen when you produce nothing and need foreign currency to import everything, from petrol to tooth pick. Your currency will be in an eternal free fall. Basic economics.

you are talking out of ignorance, please educate yourself on the 1st (1962-68) ,2nd (70-74) and 3rd (75-80) national development plans and find out under whose watch we abandoned national development plans and commenced haphazard development.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 28, 2018
A strong currency does not necessarily mean a strong economy. It can make sense for an economy to have a weak currency. I personally believe a country like Nigeria does not need a strong Naira, provided it gets to full production capacity.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by neonly: 8:21am On Aug 28, 2018
selemempe:
see mumu...the joke is on u...cos i know u are not related to buhari...u are just another buhari fan who cant think strategically.

Dogmatic hausa ppl who are inductrinated to always participate in electoral and religious matters...most of u in the north dont know wat is called quadratic equation...yet it is empty fools like u who would rush to get their pvc in order to ensure the south never moves forward...of course u get help from ur useful idiots in the west....so kudos

2 Likes

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by nnokwa042(m): 8:23am On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
nawaooo ...as in he is lying or what?.... he is very correct you could buy a whole lot of things with 5naira then....
like 3 tom tom
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by madridsta007(m): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
83-85 the lifeless cow started destroying everything

Lol.

Lifeless is worse than “clueless.”
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Born2Breed(f): 8:24am On Aug 28, 2018
scnonline:
When the going was good. The era when we didn't know what to do with our national wealth.

http://www.scandalnigeria.com/2018/08/27/throwback-to-when-the-naira-%e2%82%a6-was-stronger-than-the-us-dollar/

The military destroyed everything in Nigeria.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by oneclickng: 8:24am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.
MUGU
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Chimaobison(m): 8:30am On Aug 28, 2018
this is so heartening, within a year, the exchange rate was something else, 1$=400,last year
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by KaptainAfrika: 8:32am On Aug 28, 2018
Woah what a strong CUMback, from someone that was still a CUM in his father's BALLS in 1983 to 1985.

abokibuhari:
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by dona2us(m): 8:32am On Aug 28, 2018
I remember when my PTA Levy was #5 check out the difference now.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by jidxin(m): 8:37am On Aug 28, 2018
Ever8054:
nawaooo ...as in he is lying or what?.... he is very correct you could buy a whole lot of things with 5naira then....
at least biscuit was 5 naira then....... Your a whole lot of things could mean confectionary of N1 each
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by bewla(m): 8:42am On Aug 28, 2018
abokibuhari:
Am sorry o who they think for u
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by LucemFerre: 8:42am On Aug 28, 2018
I'm I the only one who feel like crying?

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Jaymaxxy(m): 8:43am On Aug 28, 2018
Invariably, Babangida killed Naira.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by KingGBsky(m): 8:46am On Aug 28, 2018
Take a look at it it started declining during the time of Buhari 1984/85
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Iykenuwa(m): 8:53am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:
He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.

At least, no one here will have the inglorious infamy of throwing Nigeria into recession twice in one lifetime.

Lifelessness is how we get zombies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by wirinet(m): 8:56am On Aug 28, 2018
4Play:

Good monetary policy should come first before infrastructure. Infrastructure is virtually useless if the monetary policy framework subsidises imports.

False. Monetary policy in isolation to developmental infrastructure is useless. The only monetary policy that is important is one that aids physical development, and physical development is impossible without infrastructural development.
Monetary policy without physical development is like a ponzi scheme, you just bounce money around until the system crashes, making very few people rich but majority poor.
Think about it, when the colonialist came, the very first thing they built was physical infrastructure (that aid their own developmental needs, which is export of raw materials to home country) ie, rail, roads and ports. This was what made kano the hub of groundnut, enugu the hub of coal and sapele the hub of timber.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Jerrypolo(m): 9:03am On Aug 28, 2018
hernandson:
dreamer so he would give you 5naira out of 7naira,he should better go back to school too

You failed to get the message primarily due to lack of punctuations. I initially thought same too. When he took 5naira to school was a very different time from his "grandfather's" time. Probably by 30 or more years.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by israelmao(m): 9:04am On Aug 28, 2018
Back to our root,let's look at those thing that they were doing then that we are no longer doing now.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by RexTramadol1: 9:06am On Aug 28, 2018
Sirjamo:

Treat urslf bfr forming doc

Na bros Dem dey call u oh.........

Ur own family don bcom Local Govt chairman bfr?
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Crossboy(m): 9:07am On Aug 28, 2018
DoyenExchange:
O God! The good old days...can Nigeria be ever great again?!
Yes
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by officialfestus(m): 9:07am On Aug 28, 2018
blackpanda:

Na wa o...kontinuu
indomie generation
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Ugosample(m): 9:08am On Aug 28, 2018
4Play:
It was the "strength" of the Naira that was its weakness. When the Naira exchange rate is stable despite high inflation - as in the 1970s - it makes our economy uncompetitive and acts like a subsidy of importation. Such a real exchange rate appreciation (inflation adjusted appreciation) is disastrous for the tradable goods sector.

Think of a groundnut exporter in the 1970s whose input costs are rising as labour, transport and fuel become more expensive. Unless the currency depreciates, his business revenues in Naira will stay the same. This will make it impossible to continue to operate such a business. This is effectively what helped crush our non-oil sector.

At last, somebody with sense
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Amberon11: 9:09am On Aug 28, 2018
Look at this one, houseboy and house girl...how is that an issue? Have you talked about the almajiris in the north? Or the beggars littered all over the west? It was in the west I saw that small kids of less than 10 are already being made apprentices at workshops. That right there is child labour. Those houseboys and girls you see now go to school or learn a trade unlike the almajiris in the north who are a menace to the society.
zomby:

If the north are mumu and the west are idiots, what would you call the people in the south?
Because with all your knowledge of quadratic equation, the percentage of house girls and house boys that come from the south are higher than any other part of the country...And your total population in the country is far less than the population of the northerners or westerners.
So, you should slow down a bit and focus on your people; Nigeria did not get here only because of the northerners or the westerners...every part of the country has one or two things to do with the downfall of this great nation.
Instead of pointing figures or calling names, may be it is a fantastic idea to join hands and dig ourselves out of this mess.

No one is better than the other!
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by israelmao(m): 9:10am On Aug 28, 2018
neonly:

Who gave the right to make some people lifeless with your comment.
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by israelmao(m): 9:10am On Aug 28, 2018
neonly:

Who gave the right to make some people lifeless uith your comment?
Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by anonymous1759(m): 9:10am On Aug 28, 2018
[quote author=Sirjamo post=70670828] He has achieved more in life than you can ever dream of in 300 life times, you and your likes are just wasting away online abusing someone who was your parents president and return again to be your president, maybe one day, his son will be your children president.[/quote

did you make any sense? tribalism has eaten deep in your brain...i don't give a Bleep about any tribe or religion. the truth of the matter is that our past leaders from 80's till 2018 destroyed our nation irrespective of the tribe or religion. you can barely see an igbo man vote for a yoruba man or hausa man even if they're confident of him doing the job, they'll likely vote for a fellow igbo who's capable of looting them. same goes for all the tribes. I'd an encounter with a coblar few weeks ago when I asked him is choice of candidate he told me I already know (Buhari) he said he's going to travel all the way from Anambra to the North. I looked at him and smiled looking at his condition he has been a coblar for over 3yrs when his brother became president his condition didn't change he's still going to vote him for another 4yrs just because he's hausa. tribalism is our major problem. if we can't unite and vote without sentiments let's devide and go our separate ways...this issue of zonning is shit, I heard tinubi is targeting 2023...another recycled leader I'm still wondering if we find ourselves a credible leader we'll still be compelled to vote to thier preferred candidate it's alarming, all the pdp candidate are same thing too. if division will end tribalism I pray for God to let it happen in peace. the killings will reduce drastically, fulani herdsmen, bandict, bokoharam etc... because they'll be restriction of movement you can come into someone's land and invade it. I'm niether igbo, hausa or yoruba. I just said my mind

1 Like

Re: When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) by Ugosample(m): 9:13am On Aug 28, 2018
LoJ:
A strong currency does not necessarily mean a strong economy. It can make sense for an economy to have a weak currency. I personally believe a country like Nigeria does not need a strong Naira, provided it gets to full production capacity.

Japan and South Korea are developed economies, and are where Nigeria will not be in 50 years today

Yet their currencies are weak

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How A Pregnant Lady Extorted Money From Customers At A Bank / Best Forex Trading Platform In Nigeria / Advertising On Nigerian TV And Radio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.