Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' (31380 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Sportdab(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2018
Serena Williams has reacted to her fued with US Open final umpire Carlos Ramos by saying he would not have treated a man in the same way.

Serena allegedly branded Ramos a 'thief' during the final in a incredible match Flushing Meadows as she lost 6-2 6-4 to Naomi Osaka.

Serena refused to shake Umpire Ramos after the match having been given a game penalty for her outburst.

This came after Serena was accused of being coached from the sidelines.

She received a code violation and then smashed her racquet before having the game taken off her for the thief comment.

When asked if she would change anything from incident, Williams went on another rant, claiming men would not be treated how she was.

“I don't know,” she said.

“You definitely can't go back in time. I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief, because I thought he took a game from me.

“But I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality and for all kinds of stuff.

“For me to say 'thief' and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said 'thief'.

“For me it blows my mind. But I'm going to continue to fight for women and to fight for us to have equal -- like Cornet should be able to take off her shirt without getting a fine. This is outrageous.

“I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is just an example for the next person that has emotions, and that want to express themselves, and want tobe a strong woman.

“They're going to be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn't work out for me, but it's going to work out for the next person.”

Asked why she thought the Umpire was a thief, Serena said: “Because he took a point from me,” she added.

“He alleged that I was cheating, and I wasn't cheating. Then I had a good conversation with him. I said, Listen, you know my character. You know me really well. Like you know that I don't even call for on-court coach. I don't even do that.

“He's like, You know what? I understand. I don't know if he said, You're right. But he understood. He's, like, Yeah, I get what you're saying.

“Then when I sat down, I said it again. I was, like, Just to be clear, I can understand what you saw because it may have looked -- just because I look at my box, it may have looked like I was getting coaching, but I'm telling you, that's not what I do. I said, I'd rather lose than have to cheat to win. I don't need to cheat to win. I've won enough. That's never been something I've ever done, you know.

“And he was cool. He was like, Oh, I get it. We had this great exchange. We were on the same page. We understood each other, and I felt that that was -- yeah.”

Source:http://www.sportdab.com.ng/2018/09/us-open-final-serena-williams-accuses.html

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by 1zynnvn(m): 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
Who is he I mean the Serena williams.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sexism would be a bit difficult to stick, she should have tried racism. Dumb clown.

It was the referee that helped you smash your racket on the floor.

She's claiming she was victimised cos she's a lady. The small girl that beat her is male, abi?
Nonsense and ingredients.

Serena should retire, she's making a global mockery of her legacy and is constituting a nuisance.

156 Likes 9 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Bigboy22: 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
Well
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by bonechamberlain(m): 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
Williams calm down, accept the loss. Its appalling when women play the sexist card when decision don't favour them, and she played against another female, not even a male. fighting for women right is Osaka not a woman.
angry

so many people replying on sentiments, Serena disrespected the umpire one of the best in tennis. calling him a thief and try to tarnish his hard earned reputation and asking the umpire to apologize, imagine such arrogance.

she should be the one to apologize to the ref who followed the rules irrespective of who she is and Osaka for taking her shine on the day with useless controversy.

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Kamelot77(m): 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
Serena shd accept her defeat,
Osaka deserved d champion
#racism dint beat serena
#sexism dint beat Serena
#osaka beat Serena

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by jy2kbeyond(m): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
I really don't blame her.
It's hard to swallow when you start to fade or diminish
sad sad sad sad

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by chibwike(m): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
The only Williams I know is William uchemba

24 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Timekeeper: 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
Like she said that we are equal
If you support gender equality,
Click like
If not click share

11 Likes 24 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by wisino1(m): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
This lady is pushing it too hard after her child birth and it's affecting her

8 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Lomprico2: 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sore looser!
You n your coach were caught cheating!!
Was her opponent not a woman too? Where dose d sexism come in? undecided

27 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Galaticos444: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
Serena is a very rude lady and she lost my respect after yesterday final.d umpire only followed d rules even d coach admitted on Twitter dat he coached her

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by tetralogyfallot(m): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hhh
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by HigherEd: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
Men are in trouble in this generation lol. Any small thing now is sexism. Well, i'm sympathetic to serena and i don't know if there is inequality issues in Tennis, if there is i hope it is addressed. Maybe for a start female umpires should rule games with females while male do so to males just like we have in football.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by 3millionia: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
i watched it live

Serena Williams was dam mean cool

I'd rather lose than have to cheat to win. I don't need to cheat to win.

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by NIGERIAJAGAJAGA: 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2018
see how people separated the topic oooooo. the topic they already joined together in d morning. lazy bloggers everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by SimonMagau: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
She lost. tongue

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Glink2018(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
Serena vex o!

Mummy Serena, you will always have another opportunity to reclaim what has unlawfully stolen from you.

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Kamelot77(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
1zynnvn:
rugby player

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Ilamina1: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sexism keh kiss
Accept defeat in peace jhoor cool

14 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by DoTheNeedful: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
I didn't follow the game but on seeing this title, I knew she lost. embarassed.

Why do people like to blame others when they are not getting results? angry

10 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by gare(f): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sportdab:
Serena Williams has reacted to her fued with US Open final umpire Carlos Ramos by saying he would not have treated a man in the same way.

Serena allegedly branded Ramos a 'thief' during the final in a incredible match Flushing Meadows as she lost 6-2 6-4 to Naomi Osaka.

Serena refused to shake Umpire Ramos after the match having been given a game penalty for her outburst.

This came after Serena was accused of being coached from the sidelines.

She received a code violation and then smashed her racquet before having the game taken off her for the thief comment.

When asked if she would change anything from incident, Williams went on another rant, claiming men would not be treated how she was.

“I don't know,” she said.

“You definitely can't go back in time. I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief, because I thought he took a game from me.

“But I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality and for all kinds of stuff.

“For me to say 'thief' and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said 'thief'.

“For me it blows my mind. But I'm going to continue to fight for women and to fight for us to have equal -- like Cornet should be able to take off her shirt without getting a fine. This is outrageous.

“I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is just an example for the next person that has emotions, and that want to express themselves, and want tobe a strong woman.

“They're going to be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn't work out for me, but it's going to work out for the next person.”

Asked why she thought the Umpire was a thief, Serena said: “Because he took a point from me,” she added.

“He alleged that I was cheating, and I wasn't cheating. Then I had a good conversation with him. I said, Listen, you know my character. You know me really well. Like you know that I don't even call for on-court coach. I don't even do that.

“He's like, You know what? I understand. I don't know if he said, You're right. But he understood. He's, like, Yeah, I get what you're saying.

“Then when I sat down, I said it again. I was, like, Just to be clear, I can understand what you saw because it may have looked -- just because I look at my box, it may have looked like I was getting coaching, but I'm telling you, that's not what I do. I said, I'd rather lose than have to cheat to win. I don't need to cheat to win. I've won enough. That's never been something I've ever done, you know.

“And he was cool. He was like, Oh, I get it. We had this great exchange. We were on the same page. We understood each other, and I felt that that was -- yeah.”

Source:http://www.sportdab.com.ng/2018/09/us-open-final-serena-williams-accuses.html

SISTER IT IS A SIGN FOR YOU TO BOW OUT OF THE GAME, YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED YOUR PART, YOU MAY HAVE BEING CHEATED BUT IT IS TIME TO CALL IT QUIT.

4 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by SoftP(m): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
Make she go Sit down joor'
Is it a birthright undecided

5 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
bonechamberlain:
Williams calm down, accept the loss. Its appalling when women play the sexist card when decision don't favour them, and she played against another female, not even a male. fighting for women right is Osaka not a woman.
angry

are you sure you read this story?

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by zicoraads: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
I've been following this news and I like the fact that the tennis federation is solidly behind the umpire.

I didn't watch the game live, but had to go back and see what the headlines was for. And truth be told, Serena Williams is wrong on all counts. How can you call someone a liar and a thief, then in the next breath, claim to be fighting for women and equality? She should be fined heavily for this.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by legba1(m): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
if she didn't do it.....then shes got all right to protest....

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Unik3030: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2018
so because she violated d rule of d game n was penalized,she wants to play d gender game.try to understand that u can't win all d time

10 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by IYANGBALI: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
1zynnvn:
she is one of the childrens of late MKO Abiola

10 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Alejoc(m): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
Her big personality is a viable tool to fight any course
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by bonechamberlain(m): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
michaelbiz:

are you sure you read this story?
yes

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iker Casillas Trolls Jose Mourinho After Manchester United Defeat (Photo) / Ex-Chelsea Star, Ramires, Retires From Football / Arsenal Vs Chelsea: Two Fans Injured In Clashes Ahead Of Europa League (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.