Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,506 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' (31426 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by smart024(m): 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2018
Making a mockery of herself...
She expected the rules be bent because she was "Serena"...
Was beaten by another female and wants to play the "sexism" card...

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Gerrard59(m): 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

1) Calling someone clueless is not an insult.
2) There are guidelines to issue warnings. It's not at the umpire's discretion.
3) The umpire docked Serena a game for her calling him a thief and demanding an apology from him. This same umpire has been called far worse by Male players and he didn't dock them.

The question is why is it ok for men to say terrible things to the umpire but women are punished for saying less terrible things?

If that's not sexism then what is it?

That some men do such and get away with it doesn't make it right and cannot be used as an excuse for the insults against an umpire. Then again, if men insulted umpires and got away, was Ramos the umpire?

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
Serena lost it last night, I was really disappointed with her. Right from the first set, she was below par, Naomi Osaka had her by the scruff.

Her coach affirmed that he was coaching from the stands, yet Serena was still adamant that he wasn't coaching.

Now she is singing the sexism cum feminist song.
She should pick up the pieces and move on.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sexyolori:

just shut up abeg

Go and tell your father to shut up since he failed to train you.

Unintelligent stripper.

4 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Horus(m): 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
Dont be too harsh on Serena William. If you are not able to forget the mistakes of the past, then that is your problem. You should forget the mistakes of the past, just drop it and move ahead. Serena Williams is still one of the greatest female athlete of all time
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by kunle75(m): 4:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Zidane isn't really doing bad. Just that he's now a pariah among other players.

You're rigth but he left unceremoniously even when he should have been celebrated for his contributions to soccer stage
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by RexTramadol1: 4:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
gare:

SHE HAS LOST TWICE TO THIS SAME LADY, IS SHE WAITING FOR THE THIRD ONE, SHE HAS SEEN IT ALL, WON EVERYTHING YOU CAN SAY IN TENNIS, OK SHE WANTS TO BE DISGRACED OUT OF THE PRESTIGIOUS GAME, IT IS BETTER TO CALL IS QUIT NOW AND FOCUS ON HER FAMILY

And still it should be maintained that......that is not how champions/ achievers think

Roger Federer has achieved a whole lot, but he's still up

Gigi Buffon is still doing his thing

If you want to call time on your career, call it on a high......

And that's what brought about the mentality.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
gare:

SISTER IT IS A SIGN FOR YOU TO BOW OUT OF THE GAME, YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED YOUR PART, YOU MAY HAVE BEING CHEATED BUT IT IS TIME TO CALL IT QUIT.

if she carried this your kind of mentality, she wouldn't make it this far in the first place.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by KaptainAfrika: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2018
Wait. What ?
I thought Selena was playing against a woman ?
If the Umpire was sexist, was he being sexist in favour of another woman ?
Was it the sexist Umpire, that made her break her racket, insult the man ?
Selena is a sore loser, real champs, accept they can't win it all...

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Tomoyayi(m): 4:33pm On Sep 09, 2018
DoTheNeedful:
I didn't follow the game but on seeing this title, I knew she lost. embarassed.

Why do people like to blame others when they are not getting results? angry

E b like say you dey watch football abi
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Tomoyayi(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2018
Horus:
Dont be too harsh on Serena William. If you are not able to forget the mistakes of the past, then that is your problem. You should forget the mistakes of the past, just drop it and move ahead. Serena Williams is still one the greatest female athlete of all time
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2018
bonechamberlain:
na wa o. who should issue the warning. her coach was going against the rules she was sanctioned, she hit her bat on the floor she was sanctioned, she called the umpire a thief and asked him to apologize, for what. for following the rules, is Serena too big for the rules if she is then she should resign.
the question should be did the umpire follow the rules which is yes (if u understand tennis rules).
players get away with some critical decisions every time and some don't get away. even in football in all sport. this same Serena has gotten away with some faulty decision in the past.

her coach has admitted that he cheated so what are u defending. she should apologize to Osaka for taking away her shine with irrelevant controversy.
The Umpire was selectively following the rules and docking Serena a game for calling him a thief was the umpire trying to make the game about himself.

Osaka's coach was also coaching during the game but she wasn't warned.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2018
Gerrard59:

That some men do such and get away with it doesn't make it right and cannot be used as an excuse for the insults against an umpire. Then again, if men insulted umpires and got away, was Ramos the umpire?

Ramos was the umpire.
He's been abused by Nadal and Djokovic and never docked them a game so why dock Serena?
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by mpnaija(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2018
MUSIC:Wonda Marley ft Ajebo Hustlers -ABROGATE (Prod by T9)
Get it here https://www.mpnaija.com/download/13919/
More on your number one music blog MpNaija.com
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unmask: 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
michaelbiz:

There is a level of understanding you should have about any competition:

Talk C.Ronaldo, L.Messi, and any other star player, there's an aura of respect for a champ.
Even when emotions go hot, you cannot just give any of these guys a Red Card just like that.

When, you hear her (Serena) saying "You know me...", it has gotten to the height of disrespect, so why should you do this kind of thing to me - knowing that the service was mine, you gave it to Osaka! because you CLAIMED I was getting coaching by the sidelines!

That's like way, way too high disrespect.
The guy will still apologize later, but the whole thing was to make Osaka "look" like the better player, (she was, actually but not by the umprie adding disrespect to Serena)!
They just did MK-Ultra (mind control) for Serena.
Period!

Ronaldo was given a red in the Spanish super cup minutes after coming in.....Sergio Ramos gets red on a regular.....bad analogy.....if you disrespect the ref in football you get booted.....if it was a football match Serena should be on her 10th violation as at when she got the 3rd

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Ishilove: 5:08pm On Sep 09, 2018
Diva, drama queen and sore loser. Mscheeeew

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
unmask:
Ronaldo was given a red in the Spanish super cup minutes after coming in.....Sergio Ramos gets red on a regular.....bad analogy.....if you disrespect the ref in football you get booted.....if it was a football match Serena should be on her 10th violation as at when she got the 3rd

I don't live and breathe on Nairaland, but I'm a very good sport punter; but to think you can use one red card to justify Ronaldo's case which in no way resembles the situation pitched against Serena in this case is very unforgivable.

I don't think you have a complete understanding of the word "fair-play".
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unmask: 5:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

1) Calling someone clueless is not an insult.
2) There are guidelines to issue warnings. It's not at the umpire's discretion.
3) The umpire docked Serena a game for her calling him a thief and demanding an apology from him. This same umpire has been called far worse by Male players and he didn't dock them.

The question is why is it ok for men to say terrible things to the umpire but women are punished for saying less terrible things?

If that's not sexism then what is it?
he didn't dock her a game for calling him a thief....he docked the game because it was her third violation.....which is the rule third violation= 4 points = 1 game

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Gerrard59(m): 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

Ramos was the umpire.
He's been abused by Nadal and Djokovic and never docked them a game so why dock Serena?

That he did not penalise them (which is wrong) does not he should not penalise SW. The way she just concluded using sexism sounds ridiculous. What about when she challenged a diminutive lines woman for penalising her years ago?

Her case didn't start today.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
bonechamberlain:
of getting her angry, this ur line is funny. she should learn to control her emotions. not all refs or umpire gives a damn about who u are. the umpire followed the rules and stuck to it.

go and watch the match abeg. i don't like to argue. nuff said. lipsrsealed
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by DreamSonInlaw(m): 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:
Sexism would be a bit difficult to stick, she should have tried racism. Dumb clown.

It was the referee that helped you smash your racket on the floor.

She's claiming she was victimised cos she's a lady. The small girl that beat her is male, abi?
Nonsense and ingredients.

Serena should retire, she's making a global mockery of her legacy and is constituting a nuisance.

Guy leave tori, Racism Ko... Na Japanese lady go do her racism Abi? For a game happening in the U.S
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unmask: 5:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
Adakintroy:
I do not support sexist remarks. We are all equals as for as to our natural abilities can carry. Hence our favoring of capitalist system.

But i respect serana, she has done great for the sport. A source of great pride to blacks and women in general.

What I think was that she is trying to show us her integrity in the sport. Her years of service and honesty. Such a cheating decision can easily tarnish her reputation. It's not about the points deducted. She can easily have gone on to loose that game anyway. But to assume she cheats is what she is fighting against maybe.

Like I said it may not be about a single game but her whole life's work. It's not fair. This is were i stand with her. She should have been giving the benefit of doubt.

We cannot always fight people's after thoughts on issues. Whatever reasons people choose to justify their unfair treatment is not important. Just try not to treat them unfairly first.

You can't slap me and tell me how to react.

Respect her contribution to the sport. Don't tarnish her image. She is almost rounding up anyway.

what is integrity.....the babe is a bloody liar or the coach is mad issuing instructions for almost 5 seconds to someone that wasn't looking and then nodding as a sign of acknowledgement....she even admits to seeing thumbs up

Please we are not fools.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 5:21pm On Sep 09, 2018
DreamSonInlaw:

Guy leave tori, Racism Ko... Na Japanese lady go do her racism Abi? For a game happening in the U.S

Chief, you no know wetin happen? She no know say that small girl go beat am and she doesn't know how to channel her frustration.

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Adakintroy: 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
unmask:
what is integrity.....the babe is a bloody liar or the coach is mad issuing instructions for almost 5 seconds to someone that wasn't looking and then nodding as a sign of acknowledgement....she even admits to seeing thumbs up

Please we are not fools.....

But she did not admit na..

Anyway I did not see the game. Maybe I will see on YouTube to be certain thanks.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unmask: 5:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
michaelbiz:

I don't live and breathe on Nairaland, but I'm a very good sport punter; but to think you can use one red card to justify Ronaldo's case which in no way resembles the situation pitched against Serena in this case is very unforgivable.

I don't think you have a complete understanding of the word "fair-play".
and you do? That is just an example.....a lot of players big or not get penalised on a regular for violating the rules. And I was using Ronaldo's case to point out a flaw in your argument.....which is why I pointed to you that your analogy was wrong

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by IJEYdiamond(f): 5:33pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Please, what concerns politicians in this matter?
What kind of frustration is worrying this one?

Oh, I understand your frustration. You didn't have light to watch the match. grin
Just shut up if you have nothing to say and mind ur words from that idiotic mouth of yours.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
unmask:
and you do? That is just an example.....a lot of players big or not get penalised on a regular for violating the rules. And I was using Ronaldo's case to point out a flaw in your argument.....which is why I pointed to you that your analogy was wrong

reply: way too emotional. closed lipsrsealed
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
Gerrard59:

That he did not penalise them (which is wrong) does not he should not penalise SW. The way she just concluded using sexism sounds ridiculous. What about when she challenged a diminutive lines woman for penalising her years ago?

Her case didn't start today.
The Bold confirms Serena's point about sexism. Selective justice is not justice.

The rules should be applied equally to all irrespective of gender or race.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 5:38pm On Sep 09, 2018
unmask:
he didn't dock her a game for calling him a thief....he docked the game because it was her third violation.....which is the rule third violation= 4 points = 1 game
What was the 3rd violation?
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by 912(m): 5:53pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:
Sexism would be a bit difficult to stick, she should have tried racism. Dumb clown.

It was the referee that helped you smash your racket on the floor.

She's claiming she was victimised cos she's a lady. The small girl that beat her is male, abi?
Nonsense and ingredients.

Serena should retire, she's making a global mockery of her legacy and is constituting a nuisance.

hahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy you took the words from my mouth. her entire behaviour was just immature and she managed to take the shine from the young lady who played extremely well last night.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by oisujeh(m): 5:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

What was the 3rd violation?
1. Coaching
2. Breaking her racket
3.Verbal abuse of Ramos (the umpire)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 6:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
oisujeh:

1. Coaching
2. Breaking her racket
3.Verbal abuse of Ramos (the umpire)

How many men have been penalized by Ramos for verbal abuse?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

‘Adebayor Is Very Lazy’- Brede Hangeland, Ex Team Mate Exposes Striker / Alex Iwobi Shares Throwback Photos Of His Family / #10YearsChallenge: Chichi Igbo Shares Throwback Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.