Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' (31424 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
gare:

SISTER IT IS A SIGN FOR YOU TO BOW OUT OF THE GAME, YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED YOUR PART, YOU MAY HAVE BEING CHEATED BUT IT IS TIME TO CALL IT QUIT.

sorry mate, that's not how champions think. wink

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Mankosi: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
E pain am

4 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AngelicBeing: 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2018
Kamelot77:
Serena shd accept her defeat,
Osaka deserved d champion
#racism dint beat serena
#sexism dint beat Serena
#osaka beat Serena
Gbam tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Dreyl(m): 3:05pm On Sep 09, 2018
1zynnvn:
Who is he I mean the Serena williams.
Smh
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by TruthHurts100: 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sportdab:
Serena Williams has reacted to her fued with US Open final umpire Carlos Ramos by saying he would not have treated a man in the same way.

Serena allegedly branded Ramos a 'thief' during the final in a incredible match Flushing Meadows as she lost 6-2 6-4 to Naomi Osaka.

Serena refused to shake Umpire Ramos after the match having been given a game penalty for her outburst.

This came after Serena was accused of being coached from the sidelines.

She received a code violation and then smashed her racquet before having the game taken off her for the thief comment.

When asked if she would change anything from incident, Williams went on another rant, claiming men would not be treated how she was.

“I don't know,” she said.

“You definitely can't go back in time. I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief, because I thought he took a game from me.

“But I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality and for all kinds of stuff.

“For me to say 'thief' and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said 'thief'.

“For me it blows my mind. But I'm going to continue to fight for women and to fight for us to have equal -- like Cornet should be able to take off her shirt without getting a fine. This is outrageous.

“I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is just an example for the next person that has emotions, and that want to express themselves, and want tobe a strong woman.

“They're going to be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn't work out for me, but it's going to work out for the next person.”

Asked why she thought the Umpire was a thief, Serena said: “Because he took a point from me,” she added.

“He alleged that I was cheating, and I wasn't cheating. Then I had a good conversation with him. I said, Listen, you know my character. You know me really well. Like you know that I don't even call for on-court coach. I don't even do that.

“He's like, You know what? I understand. I don't know if he said, You're right. But he understood. He's, like, Yeah, I get what you're saying.

“Then when I sat down, I said it again. I was, like, Just to be clear, I can understand what you saw because it may have looked -- just because I look at my box, it may have looked like I was getting coaching, but I'm telling you, that's not what I do. I said, I'd rather lose than have to cheat to win. I don't need to cheat to win. I've won enough. That's never been something I've ever done, you know.

“And he was cool. He was like, Oh, I get it. We had this great exchange. We were on the same page. We understood each other, and I felt that that was -- yeah.”

Source:http://www.sportdab.com.ng/2018/09/us-open-final-serena-williams-accuses.html

Bad looser!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Babaalawo: 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
SoftP:
Make she go Seat down joor'
Is it a birthright undecided

Sit
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Slimbumzky: 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
Ramos again?There seems to be something negative about that name.The hausa translation of Ramos should mean"Buhari".Not sure though but I guess so grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AlphaStyles(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
Serena fall my hand you lose accept the loss and move on

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by mudiana(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
Did Serena play against a man? Which one is the "unfair" gist she is talking about.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
bonechamberlain:
yes

if you did, then listen:

The thought of losing an important match to a fair opponent gladdens your heart.
But, to think that an umpire will make a change of judgement because she's a woman making that call, broke her heart. In a masculine self, what Serena is saying is, it would not have happened!

She wanted a fair final; and the umpire just made it look different.
Nobody's going to like that. Not a champ! wink

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unbitchable(m): 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
Naomi Osaka does not deserve this, this is her victory, her moment, let her enjoy it, don't put your nasty self on her spotlight.
This is a man's world, you bitch!

5 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by SoftP(m): 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
Babaalawo:

Sit
check again, that's what i wrote grin
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by bonechamberlain(m): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
michaelbiz:

if you did, then listen:

The thought of losing an important match to a fair opponent gladdens your heart.
But, to think that an umpire will make a change of judgement because she's a woman making that call, broke her heart. In a masculine self, what Serena is saying is, it would not have happened!

She wanted a fair final; and the umpire just made it look different.
Nobody's going to like that. Not a champ! wink
did the umpire tell her he made whatever change of judgement because she is a woman. she was speaking based on emotions

10 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by israelmao(m): 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2018
Don"t worry you will be back with a big bang!

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AkpaMgbor(m): 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
zicoraads:
I've been following this news and I like the fact that the tennis federation is solidly behind the umpire.

I didn't watch the game live, but had to go back and see what the headlines was for. And truth be told, Serena Williams is wrong on all counts. How can you call someone a liar and a thief, then in the next breath, claim to be fighting for women and equality? She should be fined heavily for this.
Maybe Being rude and verbally abusive might be one of the qualities needed to fight for Women and equality?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by gare(f): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
michaelbiz:

sorry mate, that's not how champions think. wink

SHE HAS LOST TWICE TO THIS SAME LADY, IS SHE WAITING FOR THE THIRD ONE, SHE HAS SEEN IT ALL, WON EVERYTHING YOU CAN SAY IN TENNIS, OK SHE WANTS TO BE DISGRACED OUT OF THE PRESTIGIOUS GAME, IT IS BETTER TO CALL IS QUIT NOW AND FOCUS ON HER FAMILY

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by omocalabar(m): 3:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
SoftP:
Make she go Sit down joor'
Is it a birthright undecided
bros,...I tire o

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Babaalawo: 3:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
SoftP:
check again, that's what i wrote grin

Correct
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Felixv: 3:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
1zynnvn:
Who is he I mean the Serena williams.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. This is the same comments white men used to make when she was beating their blue eyed princesses.

Serena has earned the right to make her comments. She is the greatest female tennis player ever, and I guess no one in your whole family has achieved 1% of what she has.

And this is inspite of the extreme racism black tennis players have had to endure.

23 grand slams and counting. We need that 24thr title to remove that Australian woman from the records.

It’s going to be tough to get to 24 but somehow she will make it.

For those who can’t reason properly, this is Serena’s 2nd final since returning from child birth - which in itself is an inspiration for all working mothers worldwide.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 3:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
bonechamberlain:
Williams calm down, accept the loss. Its appalling when women play the sexist card when decision don't favour them, and she played against another female, not even a male. fighting for women right is Osaka not a woman.
angry
She's not playing the "sexist card", the umpire is sexist.
Male players say far worse things than "thief".

And by the way, Nadal and Djokovic have accused this same umpire of being selective when it comes to enforcing rules.

http://amp.idahostatesman.com/latest-news/article218060590.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by 2truthfulguy: 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hello nairalanders. I really need your advise please.
Concerning the MSME programm that was organised in all states. I happen to visitt one in Oyo State but to my surprise, I found all that they request go totally away from whaat the told us at the programm.
They requested for too many thigs as if to send us away. The worst being request to pay 10% of the total load being reqursted for, to be paid upfront. As we all know that there is scamming everywhere even Nigerians are beng scammed by their goverments.( GNLD, MMM etc are good examples. These people operated in Nigeria with the conecnt of the government).
Thus after providing qualaterals as suretee for loan of =N=10,000,000. You still pay =N=1,000,000 ufront. And for =N=5,000,000 loan, you still pay =N=500,000. Please is there anybody who can witness haven benefited as I fear I may lose the money.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Fitbillionairep: 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
sore looser. soon she will become feminist like genevive. because once a lady looses in life she automatically converts to a feminist. especially this one wey na man be refree

4 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by michaelbiz: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
bonechamberlain:
did the umpire tell her he made whatever change of judgement because she is a woman. she was speaking based on emotions

picture for words!

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
gare:

SHE HAS LOST TWICE TO THIS SAME LADY, IS SHE WAITING FOR THE THIRD ONE, SHE HAS SEEN IT ALL, WON EVERYTHING YOU CAN SAY IN TENNIS, OK SHE WANTS TO BE DISGRACED OUT OF THE PRESTIGIOUS GAME, IT IS BETTER TO CALL IS QUIT NOW AND FOCUS ON HER FAMILY

Serena is greatest tennis player ever, she cannot be "disgraced" out.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by hisexcellency34: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
She should shut the bleep up. Her time is past

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Fitbillionairep: 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
Lomprico2:
Sore looser!
You n your coach were caught cheating!!
Was her opponent not a woman too? Where dose d sexism come in? undecided
her coach bleeped her?

4 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by bonechamberlain(m): 3:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

She's not playing the "sexist card", the umpire is sexist.
Male players say far worse things than "thief".

And by the way, Nadal and Djokovic have accused this same umpire of being selective when it comes to enforcing rules.

http://amp.idahostatesman.com/latest-news/article218060590.html
is Osaka a man? its just like saying a refree in a football match gave a player a red card in a match and in another match of similar offence he gave another player a yellow card. its at the discretion of the refree or umpire to issue whatever warning he deems fit.

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Benekruku(m): 3:23pm On Sep 09, 2018
Can imagine how it feels

Its like when those Shitta Amala women over dish goat meat for you and you already happy and celebrating in your mind, only for them to come to your table later that they gave you 3 excess goat meet.

You just use style to count again and return the excesses

It really hurts
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by bonechamberlain(m): 3:24pm On Sep 09, 2018
michaelbiz:

picture for words!
very funny, so u want to use this picture to judge his decision
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2018
What is the problem with Blacks gan ?
Na Black people dey cause wahala everywhere undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by kunle75(m): 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:
Sexism would be a bit difficult to stick, she should have tried racism. Dumb clown.

It was the referee that helped you smash your racket on the floor.

She's claiming she was victimised cos she's a lady. The small girl that beat her is male, abi?
Nonsense and ingredients.

Serena should retire, she's making a global mockery of her legacy and is constituting a nuisance.

I hope she doesn't end up like zinedine zidane

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iheanacho, Ezeh, Obasi And Baba With Nigerian U13 In 2010 (Pic) / ‘Adebayor Is Very Lazy’- Brede Hangeland, Ex Team Mate Exposes Striker / Alex Iwobi Shares Throwback Photos Of His Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.