Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,694 members, 7,823,953 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' (31427 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unmask: 6:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

What was the 3rd violation?
she called him a thief

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Sterope(f): 6:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
So disappointed in her!
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by oisujeh(m): 6:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

How many men have been penalized by Ramos for verbal abuse?
I know of Andy Murray and one very hot tempered tennis player, I can't remember is name now.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by unmask: 6:18pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

so your argument is it that he shouldn't have punished her or the next time he refs a male game, he should punish the males for similar offense

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2018
IJEYdiamond:
Just shut up if you have nothing to say and mind ur words from that idiotic mouth of yours.

Ijeoma, you ill-bred creature, stop making a foolery of yourself. Not everyone is like your father you can shut up at will.

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by CeeKay17: 6:52pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

1) Calling someone clueless is not an insult.
2) There are guidelines to issue warnings. It's not at the umpire's discretion.
3) The umpire docked Serena a game for her calling him a thief and demanding an apology from him. This same umpire has been called far worse by Male players and he didn't dock them.

The question is why is it ok for men to say terrible things to the umpire but women are punished for saying less terrible things?

If that's not sexism then what is it?
Please give us examples of when this same umpire was insulted by male players and he didn't do anything

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Anduku: 6:52pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

The Umpire was selectively following the rules and docking Serena a game for calling him a thief was the umpire trying to make the game about himself.

Osaka's coach was also coaching during the game but she wasn't warned.
That's a very big lie, Osaka's coach didn't coach her during the game, stop making up stories to defend Serena's unprofessional and uncouth behaviour

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Sexyolori(f): 6:53pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Go and tell your father to shut up since he failed to train you.
Unintelligent stripper.
look at this dummy. you can't even crawl where my dad stands. riff raff...
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Anduku: 6:54pm On Sep 09, 2018
oisujeh:

I know of Andy Murray and one very hot tempered tennis player, I can't remember is name now.
He also punished djokovic for slamming his racket, in fact he also punished nadal. The man is well known for applying the law strictly

Just read this;
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/09/carlos-ramos-serena-williams-tennis-umpire-us-open

2 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Taiwo20(m): 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2018
End of the winning streak and career.
This is not bad-belleism. She should leave now the ovation is still loud but not the loudest
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Anduku: 6:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
AZeD1:

Maybe you need to read this article, the man is well known for strict application of the law and yes, he has penalized a lot of male players including top players like Djokovic, nadal and Andy Murray

Click the link below if you're interested in the facts;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/09/carlos-ramos-serena-williams-tennis-umpire-us-open

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 7:08pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sexyolori:

look at this dummy. you can't even crawl where my dad stands. riff raff...

Is that all?

Please try to get proper education even if he couldn't provide it for you.

Your post exposes your mental state.

3 Likes

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 8:04pm On Sep 09, 2018
oisujeh:

He did not penalize them for what they said.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 8:08pm On Sep 09, 2018
Anduku:

He also punished djokovic for slamming his racket, in fact he also punished nadal. The man is well known for applying the law strictly

Just read this;
Slamming racket not for verbal violations.
Serena was docked a game for verbal violations. This same guys abused him and he didn't penalize them for abusing him.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 8:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
Anduku:

Maybe you need to read this article, the man is well known for strict application of the law and yes, he has penalized a lot of male players including top players like Djokovic, nadal and Andy Murray

Click the link below if you're interested in the facts;

None was for verbal violations and that's the point.

Also from the article

Ramos has also been accused of inconsistencies. At this year’s Wimbledon quarter-final between Novak Djokovic and Kei Nishikori both players threw their rackets to the ground in frustration. However, only Djokovic was issued a warning and directed a comment at the umpire during the game: “
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Sexyolori(f): 8:34pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Is that all?

Please try to get proper education even if he couldn't provide it for you.

Your post exposes your mental state.
have you managed to get one yourself that you are recommending one for someone else? mtcheeeew
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by tunize(m): 8:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
Make williams try understand sey her time don dey pass...its a normal thing no king or queen dey reign forever.so wen u see those that are keeping it real jst hail them......i see osaka as the nxt big tin soonest.
After alk she don first beat william before, she don do am again so and she'll still do it again period.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by bluecircle470: 8:41pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:
Sexism would be a bit difficult to stick, she should have tried racism. Dumb clown.

It was the referee that helped you smash your racket on the floor.

She's claiming she was victimised cos she's a lady. The small girl that beat her is male, abi?
Nonsense and ingredients.

Serena should retire, she's making a global mockery of her legacy and is constituting a nuisance.

You won’t understand by what she meant with the word “sexism” because you’re not used to used to the lawn tennis games
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by IJEYdiamond(f): 8:56pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:

Ijeoma, you ill-bred creature, stop making a foolery of yourself. Not everyone is like your father you can shut up at will.

That shows that you and your father are both idiot and wasted sperms if not you wont open that idiotic mouth and vomit thrash. you are a disgrace and you also lack manners. Uncivilized idiot that has diarrhoea of mouth. Tell that trash to your father.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
IJEYdiamond:

That shows that you and your father are both idiot and wasted sperms if not you wont open that idiotic mouth and vomit thrash. you are a disgrace and you also lack manners. Uncivilized idiot that has diarrhoea of mouth. Tell that trash to your father.

See this wawa girl. Third class human being.
Even your father can't talk when I'm talking.

Go and chew leaves like wawa animals.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by IJEYdiamond(f): 9:40pm On Sep 09, 2018
Hotfreeze:

See this wawa girl. Third class human being.
Even your father can't talk when I'm talking.

Go and chew leaves like wawa animals.

Same goes for your father.. tag your yourself wawa uncivilized animal telling us what you do.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Hotfreeze: 9:45pm On Sep 09, 2018
IJEYdiamond:

Same goes for your father.. tag your yourself wawa uncivilized animal telling us what you do.

Lol
Third class Igbo.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Fkforyou(m): 9:53pm On Sep 09, 2018
My friend...shut tha fvck up... undecided

You lost to a 20 year old, deal with it and stop claiming victimization... undecided
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by okwabayi(m): 10:45pm On Sep 09, 2018
I don't know why black people always do this thing: fall into the angry black person stereotype. They make other black people look bad.
Females are the worst culprit of this phenomenon. If they don't get things their way they go into a fit of rage, consuming all the blacks around them, targeting black males the most. I have seen this happen time and time again and fallen a victim also.
I thought having a white husband, half white child and rubbing shoulders with white people will erase this character from Serena. I see it remains. Blacks are a lost cause.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by AZeD1(m): 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2018
unmask:
so your argument is it that he shouldn't have punished her or the next time he refs a male game, he should punish the males for similar offense

He should be consistent.

https://twitter.com/JRBlake/status/1038619979938189313
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by echelons(m): 11:57pm On Sep 09, 2018
Felixv:

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. This is the same comments white men used to make when she was beating their blue eyed princesses.

Serena has earned the right to make her comments. She is the greatest female tennis player ever, and I guess no one in your whole family has achieved 1% of what she has.

And this is inspite of the extreme racism black tennis players have had to endure.

23 grand slams and counting. We need that 24thr title to remove that Australian woman from the records.

It’s going to be tough to get to 24 but somehow she will make it.

For those who can’t reason properly, this is Serena’s 2nd final since returning from child birth - which in itself is an inspiration for all working mothers worldwide.

You're just typing with emotions.
The same unreasonable emotions she couldn't control that got her into undue mess.
I watched the game yesterday, and Naomi was a far better player.
Calm, calculative and was hitting it right.
Serena was under pressure to win, so many celebrities came to watch her, and she buckled under the pressure.
How can you justify her calling a Chair umpire a thief?
In football, that's a Red card straight.
She got coaching from her team, smatched her racket, and called the umpire a thief. That's so much disrespect to a sport that made her.

Whatever she's looking forward to achieving in her career shouldn't be to the detriment of another person's career.
Her actions has put a lot of pressure to a renowned umpire, Ramos' career, and that is not fair.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by echelons(m): 12:04am On Sep 10, 2018
AZeD1:

She's not playing the "sexist card", the umpire is sexist.
Male players say far worse things than "thief".

And by the way, Nadal and Djokovic have accused this same umpire of being selective when it comes to enforcing rules.

http://amp.idahostatesman.com/latest-news/article218060590.html

You needed to have watched that game live.
She was rude and disrespectful.
She's just playing a stupid victim card.
Naomi was way better than Serena in that match, so she was under a whole lot of pressure.
She's been in the game a long time to know the rules.
That other people stole cars and got away with it doesn't mean if you steal a bicycle you should get away with it too, no matter the gender.

It was a terrible Serena that I saw yesterday - terrible in character and game play.

1 Like

Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by echelons(m): 12:22am On Sep 10, 2018
michaelbiz:

There is a level of understanding you should have about any competition:

Talk C.Ronaldo, L.Messi, and any other star player, there's an aura of respect for a champ.
Even when emotions go hot, you cannot just give any of these guys a Red Card just like that.

When, you hear her (Serena) saying "You know me...", it has gotten to the height of disrespect, so why should you do this kind of thing to me - knowing that the service was mine, you gave it to Osaka! because you CLAIMED I was getting coaching by the sidelines!

That's like way, way too high disrespect.
The guy will still apologize later, but the whole thing was to make Osaka "look" like the better player, (she was, actually but not by the umprie adding disrespect to Serena)!
They just did MK-Ultra (mind control) for Serena.
Period!

No matter the aura you exude as a top player, you're not above the rules.
Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane etc have all gotten justifiable Red cards in their careers, and in some crucial matches too.

She got a in-game coaching from her coach - code violation: warning.
She was broken in her Service game, so she broke her racquet - code violation: point deduction.
She called an umpire a THIEF - code violation: game loss.

Naomi Osaka was better than her throughout the match.
Serena was obviously having high expectations, so she buckled under.

I watched the game live, and I was so disappointed.

She's just whipping up sentiments with the sexism, racism rants.

She was beaten fair and square by Osaka.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Holymann(m): 1:02am On Sep 10, 2018
Serena claims she wasn't being coached, her coach on the other hand said he was coaching her.
WTF do i believe
Was Ramos the umpire the last time she was beaten by Osaka??
I hate sore losers.
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by Felixv: 1:02am On Sep 10, 2018
echelons:

You're just typing with emotions.
The same unreasonable emotions she couldn't control that got her into undue mess.
I watched the game yesterday, and Naomi was a far better player.
Calm, calculative and was hitting it right.
Serena was under pressure to win, so many celebrities came to watch her, and she buckled under the pressure.
How can you justify her calling a Chair umpire a thief?
In football, that's a Red card straight.
She got coaching from her team, smatched her racket, and called the umpire a thief. That's so much disrespect to a sport that made her.

Whatever she's looking forward to achieving in her career shouldn't be to the detriment of another person's career.
Her actions has put a lot of pressure to a renowned umpire, Ramos' career, and that is not fair.

I never cared about who won but the better player won and that was Naomi....but a black person should not call Serena a MAN -that was the reason for my response

and yes,I get emotional about that ,so what. Don't we all get emotional about our soccer teams.

You talk about Serena throwing tantrums..wow..who goes down without a fight...that is what made her win 23 grand slams. How many rackets did Jimmy conor smash in his days,or John Mcenroe

hey, lets revisit a real fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKiGviq3rjs

lets look back in history and find out how one woman won 23 grand slams ---No Nigerian has even won one!!!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/serena-williams-grand-slam-history-how-she-got-to-23-and-whats-at-stake-in-us-open-final/

no disrespect to Naomi but serena won her first title when she was 18 --Naomi is 20 and she would soon come up against another phenom in the name of coco

https://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/14-year-old-tennis-player-youngest-girls-champion

are white people happy about this ..hell no!!!
Re: US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' by nonjebose(m): 5:26am On Sep 10, 2018
I have watched the video replay of her coach stylishly giving her instructions. That she even took so much time remonstrating with him, albeit denying what was evident is surprising. That the umpire did not overlook her racket breaking and continued outburst with name calling ( which led to the game deduction) should not have made so unruly. She has been an icon, so much more is expected of her

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

‘Adebayor Is Very Lazy’- Brede Hangeland, Ex Team Mate Exposes Striker / Alex Iwobi Shares Throwback Photos Of His Family / #10YearsChallenge: Chichi Igbo Shares Throwback Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.