Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,573 members, 7,770,492 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:09 AM

10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java (76993 Views)

Vb.net Is Tryin To Frustrate My Programming Desire. Pls Help / How Much Vb.net Is Needed To Be Sucessful? / Is C# Better Than C/C++? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 7:15pm On Apr 05, 2007
10 Reasons Why dotNET Is Better Than Java

This post is prompted by a post by africanboy when he said something like "Java Is Dead" and some people were like attacking him for expressing his view.

I've been a fan of the Java technology for quite some time now. I remember literally copying a Java book when I didn't have the money to buy it.

But one thing I discovered with technology is that it's not always about love but it's more about power.
The bitter truth is when I compare java technology with CLI (popularly known as .NET), I see that Java is less powerfull in many areas.

I'll be using the words CLI and .NET interchangeably refferring to any implementation of the CLI (.NET, Mono or dotGnu)
This are some of my points.

1- In .NET you have a choice of languages to code with (C#,VB.NET, Java,Boo,Python e.t.c), producing the same type of compiled code but in Java one is limited to the java language. One may argue that jython is an alternative, but even the creator of jython who later created it's .NET version called IronPython admitted that .NET is a more powerful technology.

2, NET prgrams run at native speed while java is interpreted which makes java slower.Although java has Just In Time compilation but it stills run slower. With .NET you are not limited to JIT but have the option AOT or ahead of time compilation if you want to eliminate startup delays.

3. Calling native code in java is not a very clean process. You need to generate some stub files which makes the whole process cumbersome and dirty. In .NET you just declare that you are calling a native function from a specified library and just start calling it.

4. .NET languages are richer than Java. They have object oriented feature that are absent in java e.g properties,delegates,generics.

5. Java GUI programs look alien on the host operating system. Even if you use the OS's theme you still notice that the java widgets look out of place.

6. .NET in the form of Mono has brought a whole revolution on the linux desktop in form of great applications like beagle, tomboy, diva, iFolder, banshee e.t.c. This is something that java has failed to do despite the fact that it's been there long
before .NET

7. Many programs that would have been difficult to develop with java have been developed with .NET things like compilers (Mono's C# and VB.NET) 3D game engines (unity game engine) e.t.c

8. The CLI is an open standard maintained by an independent standards organization (E.C.M.A) while java is still governed by SUN microsystems.Even though java has recently been open-sourced, it's future will still be highly influenced by SUN.

9. You can code on the .NET platform using Java but you cannot code on Java platform using any of the .NET languages.

10. Using Mono's IKVM to call java code from .NET or convert java classes to .NET assemblies. This is so efficient that large java programs like the eclipse I.D.E have been runned on .NET.

This is not an exhaustive list but I believe 10 points are enough to send the message.

One more thing, feel free to criticize my views or even flame me.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sbucareer(f): 11:07pm On Apr 05, 2007

Where did you copied and paste this article here? Just listen to yourself. dotNet has got

1. Generics
2. Delegates
3. Properties

And Java have not. You need to do some research before you copy someone's post that has it head baseless in his write-ups before pasting it here!

If this was your own review, you should be ashame of yourself. You need journals not just internet excerpt. In the world of academics internet is NOT a good valid reference for agurment. Internet move with time and date and links get broken and server corrupted and hence, information gone.

Anyone with a computer and internet access can host a web server and thus, publish any sentimental article(s) with limited regard for knowledge and research.

Always make sure you research with academic journals like bids

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Bossman(m): 12:02am On Apr 06, 2007
Yep! Makes absolutely no sense. Educate yourself on what you are about to post before doing so. Let's nut start a language debate. Each programming language has it's uses and advantages. It all depends on the task at hand.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sbucareer(f): 8:59am On Apr 06, 2007

NET prgrams run at native speed while java is interpreted which makes java slower.Although java has Just In Time compilation but it stills run slower. With .NET you are not limited to JIT but have the option AOT or ahead of time compilation if you want to eliminate startup delays.

What do you mean by native speed? Tell us the difference between a compiler and interpreter, taking the effort to explain the file Obj that the executable program MUST consult before executing its binary? Also tell us what you understand by software porting and its advantage(s) to today dynamic Software crisis

In your own opinion, tell us if the speed of memory, CPU and hardware architecture affects the time execution of software in today's infrastructure? Is your sentiments based on the days of 808 286 processor and when memory was only limited to 32MB? And when our motherboard can only shift 66MHz?

Calling native code in java is not a very clean process. You need to generate some stub files which makes the whole process cumbersome and dirty. In .NET you just declare that you are calling a native function from a specified library and just start calling it.

You still have not made yourself clear by native code. [url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+native+code]There is the definition of a native code[/url].
Do you know at all how program are compiled or interpreted? If you know then you MUST understand the frustration of interpreting or importing a native code into your program.

While on that learn more about JVM the heart of java compiler.

4. .NET languages are richer than Java. They have object oriented feature that are absent in java e.g properties,delegates,generics.

5. Java GUI programs look alien on the host operating system. Even if you use the OS's theme you still notice that the java widgets look out of place

Long time ago from version 1.1, Java has got properties, delegates and resently generics. When you say richer in language to Java explaine?

Java has got lookAndFeel that mirros the current operating system you are using if you do not like the look and feel of java. You are already used to MS GUI, so if any software does not look like MS GUI it is not good in your eyes.

import javax.swing.UIManager;

try
     {
              UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
     catch(Exception e){
             e.printStackTrace();
    }

6. .NET in the form of Mono has brought a whole revolution on the linux desktop in form of great applications like beagle, tomboy, diva, iFolder, banshee e.t.c. This is something that java has failed to do despite the fact that it's been there long
before .NET

You never stop to amaze me, Mono what is Mono. It was never built for MS. Mono is the name of an open source project led by Novell and later adapoted by MS in its quest to pass J2EE.

Another thing you failed to understand is that J2EE is a specification, unlike .NET, which is a requirements for developing enterprise application. In J2EE you can buy the licence from Sun and develop it in any language. Like BEA have J2EE in C/C++ IBM web sphere has it in Java and C/C++ WebLogic has it in many languages and JBoss I think has it other than Java. When you download Netbeans you would see C/C++ plugins for J2EE application development

Do you know why many company uses Java as it primary tool? Research about CORBA, the father of enterprise application and why CORBA did not make it bigtime and who where behind CORBA project?

7. Many programs that would have been difficult to develop with java have been developed with .NET things like compilers (Mono's C# and VB.NET) 3D game engines (unity game engine) e.t.c

He talks about games and 3D. I am not even going to bother myself. I wonder why all major mobile phone developer uses Java as their primary game platform?

8. The CLI is an open standard maintained by an independent standards organization (E.C.M.A) while java is still governed by SUN microsystems.Even though java has recently been open-sourced, it's future will still be highly influenced by SUN.

What do you understand by open source? Now, tell us how many people or company(s) are developing .NET? Let me answer that, only MS. How many people are developing J2EE? Hundreds.

Sun research about technology and come up with specification. They patent it. You go to them and obtain exclusive licence to use the specification and modify it to suite you needs, unlike MS.

Majority of java API are developed by subproject groups and submitted to Sun for Inclusion. Like Web API was developed by Jakarta under Apache guidelines. 3D API was mostly developed my Game companies like Sony and asked Sun for Inclusion, unlike MS, they think they know it all. You cannot even write a recommendations to MS.

Here are the meanings of [url=http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=define%3A+Open+Source]open source[/url]

9. You can code on the .NET platform using Java but you cannot code on Java platform using any of the .NET languages.

Everybody here can answer this one. MS key strategic competition is MONOPOLY. If Sun wants you to write .NET in Java platform MS have to remove some of the proprietary licence restriction before Sun can do that, but MS would not. After you would start to talk about open source. Java is open source that is why MS can write Java in .NET.

This is not an exhaustive list but I believe 10 points are enough to send the message.

Yes we agree, an exhaustive ignorant list, and whether you asked or not you should know that people will criticise an uneducated post.

I am sorry to be pain in the butt. But when you come up with constructive argument then I will dove my hat for you. Although, .NET has got it strengths to Java but not the ones you enumerated above. None of them is correct. If you talking about .NET been easy to code and implement I would accept. If you said easy IDE, I would accept, if you said time of development I would accept. But all these has give ups. When a language tries to compete in the global market by giving up some or all the difficult aspect of its predecessor, then lots of issues arise. Like, security, interoperability, façade-able etc.

These issues you did not even mention them in your post. We all know how MS is virus prone. We all know why the most powerful OS in the world today (Unix) NEVER supported executable files like the ones MS uses. MS tried to correct this by creating ActiveX controls and .DLL and .COM. We all know where these technologies are now, today.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by my2cents(m): 2:31pm On Apr 06, 2007
sbucareer et al, no mind am jo tongue

I think I have a pretty accurate profile of IG: either just starting school or is about to graduate. Either way, I think he was given an assignment on the topic and is trying to impress us (as many have tried to impress me) with his vast "knowledge". Obviously, he is more than a bit wet behind the ears.

Using proof by contradiction, I will say this: JAVA is multi-platform and as has been stated above, thanks to J2ME et al, JAVA is widely being used in various applications and I wouldn't be surprised to find out IG owns a couple or so such devices.

Rather than ask the question and open it up for debate, he speaks as an authority. What a joke!
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by mni: 3:18pm On Apr 06, 2007
I think I have a pretty accurate profile of IG:

:look sbucareer ,i used to read your write up and reply(THEN)
but i am suprised when you reply to this topic in such manner

either just starting school or is about to graduate. Either way, I think he was given an assignment on the topic and is trying to impress us (MMMMMMMHHHHH)(as many have tried to impress me)

mni wrotesaddo you know that you are behaving like a novice)

with his vast "knowledge". which i am imprest about it
Obviously, he is more than a bit wet behind the ears.

Using proof by contradiction, I will say this: JAVA is multi-platform and as has been stated above, thanks to J2ME et al, JAVA is widely being used in various applications and I wouldn't be surprised to find out IG owns a couple or so such devices.

Rather than ask the question and open it up for debate, he speaks as an authority.

please go back to(IG's) his profile and see

please let us discuss 'MATURELY'
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 3:25pm On Apr 06, 2007
In your own opinion, tell us if the speed of memory, CPU and hardware architecture affects the time execution of software in today's infrastructure? Is your sentiments based on the days of 808 286 processor and when memory was only limited to 32MB? And when our motherboard can only shift 66MHz?

@Sbucareer, Is that an admission that Java is really slow and you have to rely solely on your hardware to get good performance.
my2cents:

sbucareer et al, no mind am jo tongue

I think I have a pretty accurate profile of IG: either just starting school or is about to graduate. Either way, I think he was given an assignment on the topic and is trying to impress us (as many have tried to impress me) with his vast "knowledge". Obviously, he is more than a bit wet behind the ears.

Rather than ask the question and open it up for debate, he speaks as an authority. What a joke!

There's no need to attack IG's personality. This is no place to massage our egos. I just want you guys to prove that the points I raised are wrong.
I raised
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sbucareer(f): 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2007

Mni, I don't know your frustration here. Read the title of the post 10 Reasons Why dotNET Is Better Than Java. It doest not in anyway infer that he was speaking to be informed that is why my2cent said he speaks with authority.

Futhermore, mni, why do you choose to copy and paste my2cent post indiscriminatively like he has said something wrong? Why have you made references to my previous post as an acknowledgment of good deeds?

As much as I try to conduct myself and speak freely and be prepared for an open and constructive criticism from member does not make be invincible to my own cognitive expressions.

The manner I have written my post above is in relation to his post. If he was seeking knowledge, I will be willing to share with him some of my personal experiences with him, which ofcourse may not all be accurate like many people have pointed out in my previous post(s). But if he speaks with authority, I get pissed off particularly when some or all his arguments are false. Get my draft?
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 4:09pm On Apr 06, 2007
You never stop to amaze me, Mono what is Mono. It was never built for MS. Mono is the name of an open source project led by Novell and later adapoted by MS in its quest to pass J2EE.

I said that I'll be using the words CLI and .NET interchangeably to mean the CLI. This can be any implementation of the CLI.
This can be Mono, Microsoft .NET or dotGNU.

Just a small correction @Sbucareer, Microsoft never adopted mono.
Microsoft came up with the .NET specification called CLI and the C# specification and handed it over to ECMA.
This means that ECMA is now in control of the CLI and not Microsoft and that's why anybody who wish to implement
the specification is free to do so (Don't pay anybody anuthing for licence )

Mono is one of such implementation and so is dotGNU.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sbucareer(f): 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2007

Listen IG, I do not doubt your IT/ICT knowledge and probably over reacted towards your post. But my guy, you got it all wrong. . NET has got its strengths over Java and so does Java. Like many other languages. Every language has just one thing it does better compare to the rest of the languages.

Like Python, it is a very good for text and character processing. Imagine writing Printer driver with Java or .NET. It probably will take 200 lines of code. Python will do that in just 1 or 2 lines.

Java is the OS (Operating System) of the web; well that was the initial idea. Microsoft (MS) has only got one language from start VISUAL BASIC. Even thought their OS was completely written with C/C++ API i.e. Win32 API.

The rest of its language was copied to challenge its rivals.

ActiveX controls challenges JavaBean
.Com challenges Java
.DLL challenges Java web API's

Even .NET was release to force Sun out of business by making it easy to install and run. No configuration XML, no bloody frameworks like you see in Java i.e. Spring etc. It came out with powerful IDE Microsoft Visual Studio. Very easy to use, drag and drop with powerful properties inspection. It comes free with later version of Windows unlike J2EE you have to buy them from people like BEA and IBM.

Read this article from the TheServerSide TheServerSide has become respectable to the eyes of academia as the number of arguments they pose to adjudicate becomes valid.

Also note, the date the article was written, 2001.

If you have said my Conceptual view why dotNet is better to J2EE I would not bother myself to going this length. It takes me time and energy to compile this post you know?
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 4:32pm On Apr 06, 2007
@Sbucareer, Now we're talking like grown ups. I know you're a grown up programmer

If you have said my Conceptual view why dotNet is better to J2EE I would not bother myself to going this length. It takes me time and energy to compile this post you know?

The post invited you to criticize my views, I repeat my views.

So, should I give facts against your other attacks ?

Actually the purpose of the post is to make us broaden our horizon and discourage our blind love
for certain technologies.

I told you am a fan of Java. I even used java for my undergraduate project.
But that doesn't mean I should close my eyes to it's weakneses.

I really admire Jim Hugunin. After creating Jython, he started a similar project on dotNet primarily to
prove that dotNet is not good enough. But when he discovered it's stronger, he proudly admitted it.

@my2cents,@Bossman grow up.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sbucareer(f): 4:53pm On Apr 06, 2007

IG, don't get me wrong when I see a spade I call it a spade. I am not claiming that J2EE is the best enterprise application development. But we must admit some or most of your point is based on sentiments.

. NET is good and robust. I particularly cannot see any difference today in the current versions with J2EE version. When we talk about robustness and industrial strength J2EE application one's mind quickly go to Oracle 10g suite.

They use J2EE specification to develop their entire enterprise suite making use of integration tool like Oracle fusion and new Java 1.6. We all know that Oracle product are far more better to MS. Oracle is richer to MS today, fact.

The reason for this trend is the inclusion of J2EE specification to their grid application i.e. Oracle 10g. MS SEQUEL is going under changes, MS Vista has taken their time up for at least another 2 years when I believe the official beta testing will end and all support to other OS will stop. That is when we will see the direct challenge to Oracle 10g from MS.

No need of comparison, both framework and specification are good. You can't tell which one is better. The lack of ability is compensated in the other and vice versa.

I particularly, the reason why I stay away from recommending .NET for my client is one reason, security. If you have worked in a firm that virus attacks MS server, you would be hopeless upset. MS users spend lots of money on hardware security and software.

How many times have you have Unix server attacked by virus? There is my major reason. It be nice to hear your arguments, we learn everyday.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by my2cents(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2007
mni: and ur point is?

IG: I don grow tire. I no fit grow anymore. Now, I am regressing back towards childhood tongue

I am actually not a "programmer", but there are things that are said, regardless of topic, which definitely rubbed me the wrong way. If you are waiting for an apology, you might want to pull up a chair, cos it will be a while. I have no ego. When I first saw a computer, I was 20. I **know** what it means to come from nowhere in the IT field, so when I deal with pple in the IT field, I do so knowing that I was once in their place.

If perhaps you had rephrased your post as "Is JAVA better than .NET?" or "10 reasons y I think JAVA is better than .NET", I wouldn't have reacted so harshly. When I see/hear things which suggest facts but are yet far from it, it gives me heartburn.

To close out, I am not "attacking" you personally, but I am attacking your post. If you still see me as not "grown up' after this post, so be it. I will stand my ground, for reasons stated above, on this one.

Thanks,
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2007
@sbucareer, there's no need to be afraid of MS windows weakneses.
The CLI have been implemented on many platforms. I love refferring to Mono because it's one of the most
popular implementations apart from Microsoft's .NET.

Look at the platforms that supports Mono

Supported Architectures Operating system
s390, s390x (31 and 64 bits) Linux
SPARC (32) Solaris, Linux
PowerPC Linux, Mac OSX
x86 Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD,Microsoft Windows, Solaris, OS X
x86-64: AMD64 and EM64T (64 bit) Linux
IA64 Itanium2 (64 bit) Linux
ARM: little and big endian Linux (both the old and the new ABI)
Alpha Linux
MIPS Linux

I've not been tracking dotGNU recently but I know it's supported on Linux,Windows and Mac OSX. It's also not as mature as Mono.
You can find mono here mono-project.com
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2007
my2cents:

If you are waiting for an apology, you might want to pull up a chair, because it will be a while. I have no ego.

I don't have a big ego either, so I don't need an apology.

When I see/hear things which suggest facts but are yet far from it, it gives me heartburn.

If they are far from facts then you can prove it point by point.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by my2cents(m): 7:07pm On Apr 06, 2007
I can't "prove it point by point" cos for one, I didn't write it - u did! tongue

So until you do, the ball is still in your court. Either way, this is the last post of mine concerning this thread cool
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Pain(m): 7:45pm On Apr 06, 2007
Kaboom!! shocked

Current Fact: Java Is The Bomb.

Hard Fact: .NET is The Future.

shocked kiss

Kaboom Again.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IBEXY(m): 8:34pm On Apr 06, 2007
I wish I could discuss programming jargon like these dudes in here. I thought I was good until I came here lipsrsealed
Damn!
I raise my cap for you guys.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 06, 2007
@Topic, sorry to disagree, but Java supports generics, especially jdk 1.5.
try googling it yourself and see. And I have also done some generic stuff in Java.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by mni: 11:11am On Apr 07, 2007
Am happy when i read this post as purely nigerians posts.

my2cent:please your presence in the issue makes all of us to learn.
But when you said you will withdraw your self from this issue you are trying to make the whole post as a rivalry post.

You are one of the most active gys i noticed in this forum especialy in in programming.
pleaase lat us continue for the sake of our country.

thanks to IG and sbucareer for there disscuss.
keep it up!

thanks.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by rock2(m): 11:22am On Apr 07, 2007
Who cares

JAVA makes my phone more fun.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 4:20pm On Apr 07, 2007
wavemasta:

@Topic, sorry to disagree, but Java supports generics, especially jdk 1.5.
try googling it yourself and see. And I have also done some generic stuff in Java.

I googled and found it. Thanx for educating me.

But I still cannot find delegates. I haven't used JDK 1.5, but I still can't find anything on delegates in java.
Except if there's any design pattern stunt to emulate it.

Long time ago from version 1.1, Java has got properties, delegates and resently generics

@Sbucareer, I still cannot find properties in Java. You have to use the getter and setter methods instead.

in .NET you can have something like

txtName.text = "Nairaland"

and

string strName = txtName.text

but in java it will have to be like

txtName.setText("Nairaland"wink;

and

String strName = txtName.getText();

See what I mean ?
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sw: 5:41pm On Apr 07, 2007
U guys are turning me crazy
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 8:03pm On Apr 07, 2007
@sbucareer, Am not trying to reignite a flame here but there're things you got wrong
I will try to correct them so that others will not get it wrong as you did.
please feel free to correct me if I err.

While on that learn more about JVM the heart of java compiler.
It's not OK to refer to the JVM as the heart of the java compiler. JVM is like a virtual
computer that run bytecodes produced by the compiler. In other words the compiler targets the
JVM. Similarly when I say native code in my past posts I mean code that target real processor
architechtures like x86,SPARC e.t.c

Java has got lookAndFeel that mirros the current operating system you are using if you do not like the look and feel of java.
You are already used to MS GUI, so if any software does not look like MS GUI it is not good in your eyes

Agreed java can pick the OS native look and feel, but look at all the stress you have to go through before doing that.
And still you can tell that it's a java swing interface, because it doesn't really blend.

This is your code

import javax.swing.UIManager;

try
{
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
catch(Exception e){
e.printStackTrace();
}

But on .NET this is done automatically on all the popular GUI toolkits (GTK#,Winforms)
As you can see on .NET you have a choice of serveral GUI libraries (Winforms,Qt#,GTK#,Wx.net)
Think of the freedom it gives you.
On java, I only know of swing and swt(which is developed because of drawbacks of swing).

He talks about games and 3D. I am not even going to bother myself.
I wonder why all major mobile phone developer uses Java as their primary game platform?
check out the unity 3d site here http://unity3d.com
Am not talking about games you play on mobile phones. Am talking about serious realistic 3d rendering that require good performance.

Now, tell us how many people or company(s) are developing .NET?
Let me answer that, only MS. How many people are developing J2EE? Hundreds.

1. The Mono Project (http://mono-project.com): An open source project sponsored by Novell. That means you can get commercial support from Novell.

2. dotGNU or portable.net (http://dotgnu.org): Another open source implementation backed by the Free Software Foundation

3. Microsoft.NET: self explanatory

There may be others I don't know about.

I particularly, the reason why I stay away from recommending .NET for my client is one reason, security.
If you have worked in a firm that virus attacks MS server, you would be hopeless upset.
MS users spend lots of money on hardware security and software.

.NET specification has security in mind from the beginning. You should read about security in the .NET framework.
Thing like Code Access Security which I don't think has a parallel in java.
Another thing you got wrong is that the .NET specification is not tied to the Windows operating system.
As can be seen in my past posts,you can have .NET on a variety of hardware architectures and operating systems.

Everybody here can answer this one. MS key strategic competition is MONOPOLY.
If Sun wants you to write .NET in Java platform MS have to remove some of the proprietary licence restriction before Sun can do that, but MS would not.
This has been explained before. SUN can develop .NET if they want without paying microsoft anything. .NET is governed by ECMA not MS.

After you would start to talk about open source. Java is open source that is why MS can write Java in .NET.
Java language is available on .NET platforms long before java is open sourced. Java is only recently open sourced.
Please get it right, The Java language on .NET compiles code that target the .NET runtime not the JVM. This means a java
programmer doesn't have to learn a new language to bring his skills to .NET.

I personally think that SUN never wants to open source java. They only did so as a survival strategy for the Java technology. Afterall the open source community has been pressurizing SUN for years to Open Source Java but they refused. Why now ?
Look at how many Linux developers are using C# now. This is because they know they are not tying themselves to any corporate organization's technology.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of Microsoft and neither am I a fan of SUN microsystems.
I am a fan of good technology especially if it has no strings attached.

rock2:

Who cares

JAVA makes my phone more fun.
Your phone will be more fun, if java is better. grin

Yes we agree, an exhaustive ignorant list
I Like That Line. Maybe this long post is just another show of ignorance.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by my2cents(m): 8:57pm On Apr 07, 2007
ok mni,

I will be a "sleeping partner" on this thread. Good enough? tongue
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by sbucareer(f): 11:12am On Apr 08, 2007

Now you decided to put little effort on your post. Ok, I have no time to argue, [glow=red,3].NET is the BEST Enterprise Application Development.[/glow] There is nothing that .NET has done recently that would personally make me to leave Sun. It took me five years to learn Sun technologies and cost lots of money. I will not just abandon it like that.

The good thing about Sun is that it has Road Map to its users unlike MS that keeps changing its platform and software every year. Besides MS certifications are expensive and all of them seem the same thing to me, I wonder why they bother.

You would be amazed how much I know about Visual Basic, which is the primary language for .NET. C# is just Java to me. I just don't like VB anymore not that the technology is cheap or anything, I am fade up with it.

I am even beginning to fade up with Java now. I am just in the process of getting fade up with Software Development. I am into Data and Satellite Communication Systems. Although we are using Java in the course, I am more into Wider Area Network communications.

Conclusion, in my personal opinion of 10 years into Java and Visual Basic in relation to Enterprise Server, I do not see any major differences. Both has been criticized by die-hard fans and people personal hatrated by either languages and this trend will continue.

For me, any people or company looking to recruit 10 years solid experience architect/developer in J2EE/.NET/+Com/ASP.NET/C# could contact [url=http://valentine.obih@gmail.com?subject=Experince Architect/Developer]me[/url]
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by raynevandu(m): 3:33am On Apr 09, 2007
Anyway, the two platforms each have their own developer devotee audiences, and can be used in the exac same environments. But where they're used, and how they've been used, are highly divergent from each other.

Back in the day, a Java applet was the coolest thing to put on your web page (they could crash your browser, sure, but they were so, shiny, ).

Today, only the most archaically-designed webpages still feature Java applets; now, they've been replaced by common AJAX and Adobe Flash as far as desktop webpage bling goes. Even Sun advocates Java Web Start as an alternative to embedded applets.

Now, .NET 3.0 wants to get into the applet business as well; their WPF/E is to become MS's answer to Adobe's Flash/Flex, with vector animations plus JavaScript plus hardware-accelerated graphics ad nauseum.

Maybe MS is pushing too hard? Maybe they're trying to succeed where Sun had somewhat failed?

Sun has improved on J2RE with 6.0 (Mustang), but that's just because they got rid of Scott McNeally and brought in a competent CEO who's open to new ideas.

Still, Java applications on the desktop are derided because of being "slow", "crash-prone", "memory-hogging", or just plain "ugly" (on any system; Limewire, Azureus, etc.). Only XUL applications, like Firefox, receive a worse reputation.

On the server, Java has a much bigger following, but on the desktop, I can definitely see why people have issues with Java and see .NET with far less scrutiny.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2007
I am even beginning to fade up with Java now. I am just in the process of getting fade up with Software Development.
@sbucareer, try strolling out of java a little. Explore other technologies. There're many exciting technologies that I believe will resuscitate your interest in programming.
I don't know, but you may have been doing the same thing over and over again, that's why you are bored.

Just an advice smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by rookie(m): 6:44pm On Apr 09, 2007
Ok. IG - You won the argument, but one thing you must know is that Sbucareer is a chief and mentor on Nairaland - he has paid enough dues in training lots of folks on this forum. so pls address him with respect smiley smiley

All passion aside, both JEE and .NET platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I was a diehard Java 3 years ago, but let me say am kind of enjoying .Net now, eventhough VS2003 occasionally gets on my nerves- if you know what i mean.
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by ucard: 3:21pm On Apr 11, 2007
sbucareer wrote: Besides MS certifications are expensive and all of them seem the same thing to me

I have watched from behind screen why DOT NET Framework is a leader among software development technologies.

I quite agree, may be with some bias. I have never used java before, not even another technology, JUST DOT NET. Besides, DOT NET is a technology, a framework, not a language.
DOT NET combines code interpretation with compilation. It's able to check your code for syntax error as you type them.

A question for sbucareer:
Have you written any MCAD/MCSD/MCPD Exam befor? I doubt so much. If you have, it means you did not understand the issues addressed by each of the exams.

MCPD may be new to a lot of people in the world, yet not many people in the world have MCAD/MCSD certification.

Each of the exams in this series costs =N=16,000.00, definitely far cheaper than JAVA exams.

In the MCAD/MCSD Certification, You have three exams to get MCAD (microsoft certified application developer), two compulsory exams and one elective.

In the compulsory exams,
You are to choose between The Windows exam and the Web exam (Exam 70-305/315 or Exam 70-306/316)
The windows exam checks for your expertise in the use of Dot NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in developing windows-based applications.
The web exam checks for your expertise in the use of Dot NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in developing web-based applications.

The above exams assumed that you have about two years experience developing applications with visual studio.NET

In the MCTS/MCPD exams, a Foundation exam has been carved out from the above segments as a starting point for beginners/novices.

The next compulsory exam you must write is Exam 070-320/310
This exam addresses the Implementation of XML Web Services and Server Technologies in Dot net framework 1.0 and 1.1. Obviously this is one very vital exam in the MCAD/MCSD exam series.

The elective exam comes from an array of choices. I may not be able to explore the choices here.

When you pass these three exams, you have the MCAD Certification.

From MCAD, you have two additional exams to obtain MCSD.
If you have written the windows exam in MCAD, you must write the Web exam this time, vice versa. This ensures you can work on both windows and web applications.

Then you have to write Exam 070-300 which is a design exam. You will agree with me that designing the framework for an application is key to successful development of the application. Many have got this area wrong which is why many applications fail.

When you have passed these five exams, you now qualify as a MCSD (Microsoft Certified Solution Developer)

I spent less than $200 when I learnt dot NET and I earn my living from DOT NET today.

UCard
(a technology evolving from Nigeria)
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by IG: 8:06pm On Apr 11, 2007
rookie:

Ok. IG - You won the argument, but one thing you must know is that Sbucareer is a chief and mentor on Nairaland - he has paid enough dues in training lots of folks on this forum. so please address him with respect smiley smiley

Sorry, I didn't know am playing with the big boys. Accept my apologies if I at anytime sound disrespectful.
@rookie, please can you give me the names of the other chiefs (if there are any) on nairaland so that such
a mistake shouldn't be repeated smiley smiley smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why .NET Is Better Than Java by Fdeveloper(m): 9:43pm On Apr 12, 2007
IG:

@Sbucareer, I still cannot find properties in Java. You have to use the getter and setter methods instead.

in .NET you can have something like

txtName.text = "Nairaland"

and

string strName = txtName.text

but in java it will have to be like

txtName.setText("Nairaland"wink;

and

String strName = txtName.getText();

See what I mean ?

I think you may have misunderstood the concept of what constitutes a property in OOP.  A property is an encapsulated item of data that is stored within an object and therefore the syntax by which you manipulate the property is irrelevant. Whether you use the .NET style or Java Getters/Setters when manipulating the property, the result achieved in both cases is encapsulation so your statement that Java does not have properties is erroneous.

In C# you have to use Getters/Setters to enable manipulation of a property in the implementation of the class as follows:

private string queueName;

public string m_queueName
{
   get { return queueName; }
   set { queueName = value; }
}

You can certainly argue that you prefer one syntax to the other but that's something different.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet Tanmay Bakshi, Boy Who Works For Google And Earns Over N450m Annually / Dear Programmer In Nigeria: How Much Is Your Salary? / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.