Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,694 members, 7,820,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) (9956 Views)

Osinbajo And El-Rufai Jet Out To London For A Meeting / Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership / 2015: Obasanjo Calls For Leadership Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 1:17pm On Aug 05, 2010
Na wah oh! Please let me ask one question to all who beleive this is a bad idea. What kind of leadership training would you want your children to learn in Nigeria presently. Truth hurts oh, but when i look back over 10 years and in that period, an apartheid stricken country has risen up to host the Rugby world cup, Fifa world cup and right now as we speak they are planning to host the Olympics, IMHO, I think our kids, staff or whoever can learn a thing or two about leadership from them.

Again, if we say Soyinka is here, Chinua Achebe is here Patrick Utomi and co are all here, and they should should be among the ones that these kids should learn leadership training from, Fine! No problem! But after that, should they remain unexposed to know what obtains in other countries. (local champions philosophy)

By far as we speak now, South Africa is way ahead of us and that is because they are doing the right things and we are not, Truth be said. And more lower countries if we are not careful will catch up and overtake us. As i write this, it hurts but someone posted a qoute on nairaland with facts that Iran spent 4Billion$ on a nuclear project that is working and Nigeria has spent over 20billon$ on just the power sector which is non- existent, Tell me, what is there to learn from our leadership as we stand presently.

Is it our education that is good or what? or is it Govt that wastes financial resources on frivolous things.

Some peeps are attacking baba the poster, true he may not be right with some comments but  then again he made some priceless points, as Nigerians should we condem someone who has given an opportunity of a life time to kids of public schools and not pros,rogues and what have you. For all i care we may say S.Africa is this, is that but they continue to lead the way internationally in Africa wether we like it or not. Let Nigeria start acting right and stop talking too much.

Here is a governor that is acting, yes he should be criticized but if we can deduce benefits from his actions, then its worth applauding.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 1:18pm On Aug 05, 2010
Redman44:

I feel sending the 42 students to South Africa for leadership training is not a bad idea. Foreign High School students and University Undergraduates also come to Nigeria for academic research in different areas. The Foreign students are sometimes partly sponsored by the schools and Government. What Governor Fashola is doing is not new.  It is a common practice all over the world. When I was an undergraduate at the University of Ibadan, I came across some Americans, Germans and Frenchmen who were collaborating with some Nigerian Postgraduate students for Research Purposes.  Nigerian students need to be exposed to how things are done in other countries. The only possible drawback of this Lagos State sponsored trip could be the way the whole exercise is handled. Instead of seeing it as an honour to help midwife this project, the handlers might looking at the bottomline [ What they can get out of it alone ] at the end of the day.  I would be happy if the lucky 42 students are made to visit new age companies involved in Recycling, food processing and Agriculture. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Good talk!
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by omofat: 1:25pm On Aug 05, 2010
I see nothing wrong in sending these kids to SA for the training. Positive international experience is absolutely a good thing and needs to be encouraged.

To those asking if this is at the state's expense or the kid's private expense? - It is probably the state paying for ALL of it and there is nothing wrong with that too. I've been to a number of international seminars fully paid for by public funds and I would like to think it has added to my overall development as a human being.

Spending public funds on public school kids (probably from poor and underprivileged homes but also talented and with tremendous potential) is never never never a bad thing. This year a bunch goes to SA, the following year another group goes to Egypt, another year maybe Kenya. It's great bonding and team building experience for the kids. In addition to learning about other foreign cultures.

Leadership skills are deeply lacking these days and  if we can help our kids get ahead in life, then by all means. There is a reason top global firms these days all sing about leadership. Spend 30 minutes in the hallowed halls of Goldman Sachs and all you will hear about is leadership, leadership, leadership. Looking for young kids 18, 19 years old who they call mould into future leaders.

I once heard that some states in the SS area used to send bright citizens on full scholarships to university abroad. It's all part of the same thing. Those are good measures. Those those moaning about the cost, I remind you of the old saying "if you think education is expensive, then try ignorance". There are a lot of Iranians, Pakistanis, Slovenians, etc etc all attending top schools in england and the US on public funds. They understand something we don't. It's never a waste to be enlightened.

20-30 years down the line, one or two of these kids becomes very in private practice - lawyers, bankers, doctors, whatever - They understand they've been fortunate and blessed and decide to sponsor 3, 4, 5 poor kids on some similar learning experience or they donate to huge research initiatives in Nigeria as a way of "giving back". Who knows what can happen. Please let's stop being so myopic!

For the record, I am neither lagosian, neither do I work for lagos state.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by uyakachi(m): 1:25pm On Aug 05, 2010
ONLY 42 STUDENT
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by candylips(m): 1:26pm On Aug 05, 2010
why south africa
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by omofat: 1:40pm On Aug 05, 2010
candylips:

why south africa
What's wrong with SA ? or rather why not SA ?
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by realborn(m): 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2010
@ Post,

I adjudge this as a laudable endeavour. First of its kind by any government in south west Nigeria.
I disagree with fellow learned NLs who proposed that the training should have occured here in Nigeria.
Have we asked ourselves the curriculum or proposed content of the training? Do we have the wherewithal to conduct same here?
Who says if conducted here expended cost of training will not be same as SA?
International exposure is a valid potent learning motivating tool that will trascend beyond the present adolescence stage of the selected few (who i assume were selected based on merit and niche for excellence). The resultant effect of this exposure will be felt in at least 20% of them few years to come.
What we lack as a country are credible leaders. Abeg make dem go joor.
Good 2 see grammar school students in SA.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by AloyEmeka8: 1:52pm On Aug 05, 2010
uyakachi:

ONLY 42 STUDENT

Add S to that student. You need to attend language workshop too.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by fugocisse: 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2010
THIS IS A WRONG IDEA! IT ONLY AMOUNTS TO WASTE angry angry angry
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Olalimits(m): 2:08pm On Aug 05, 2010
Why dem no come carry me or other students go SA
They just select their people SA, mschewww, i hate this kinda attitude & selfish stuffs.
[i][/i]
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 2:12pm On Aug 05, 2010
omo~fat:

I see nothing wrong in sending these kids to SA for the training. Positive international experience is absolutely a good thing and needs to be encouraged.

To those asking if this is at the state's expense or the kid's private expense? - It is probably the state paying for ALL of it and there is nothing wrong with that too. I've been to a number of international seminars fully paid for by public funds and I would like to think it has added to my overall development as a human being.

Spending public funds on public school kids (probably from poor and underprivileged homes but also talented and with tremendous potential) is never never never a bad thing. This year a bunch goes to SA, the following year another group goes to Egypt, another year maybe Kenya. It's great bonding and team building experience for the kids. In addition to learning about other foreign cultures.

Leadership skills are deeply lacking these days and  if we can help our kids get ahead in life, then by all means. There is a reason top global firms these days all sing about leadership. Spend 30 minutes in the hallowed halls of Goldman Sachs and all you will hear about is leadership, leadership, leadership. Looking for young kids 18, 19 years old who they call mould into future leaders.

I once heard that some states in the SS area used to send bright citizens on full scholarships to university abroad. It's all part of the same thing. Those are good measures. Those those moaning about the cost, I remind you of the old saying "if you think education is expensive, then try ignorance". There are a lot of Iranians, Pakistanis, Slovenians, etc etc all attending top schools in england and the US on public funds. They understand something we don't. It's never a waste to be enlightened.

20-30 years down the line, one or two of these kids becomes very in private practice - lawyers, bankers, doctors, whatever - They understand they've been fortunate and blessed and decide to sponsor 3, 4, 5 poor kids on some similar learning experience or they donate to huge research initiatives in Nigeria as a way of "giving back". Who knows what can happen. Please let's stop being so myopic!

For the record, I am neither lagosian, neither do I work for lagos state.

Unfortunately, some folks on NL reflects the sad effects of miseducation hence their ignorance and retarded utterances,
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 2:19pm On Aug 05, 2010
Olalimits:

Why dem no come carry me or other students go SA
They just select their people SA, mschewww, i hate this kinda attitude & selfish stuffs.
[i][/i]

The 42 kids are members of the children parliament and the 42-member Parliament represents each of the State's constituencies.

The question now is, are you the best student in your constituency and are you a member of the children parliament? That's even if you are a Lagosian of course,
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by safariman(m): 2:29pm On Aug 05, 2010
What if one of the 42 kids turn out to be another Fashola one day?
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Kobojunkie: 2:49pm On Aug 05, 2010
One minute the state is rich, the next, the state has limited resources and can't develop lagos . . . o ga! these moving goal posts gives one a whiplash!
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2010
babapupa:

Unfortunately, some folks on NL reflects the sad effects of miseducation hence their ignorance and retarded utterances,
LOL! well said, regardless.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 3:09pm On Aug 05, 2010
candylips:

why south africa
Are we better than them right now?
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Ajike: 3:10pm On Aug 05, 2010
tensor777
You know it looks very much like a publicity stunt. The money should certainly have been spent on something much more worthwhile.

like wot please, it is the same you pple that will say we no dey human development, we do now u stil dey complan, am sure no matter wot dey do with d money u pple will still smell corruption haba!
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 3:23pm On Aug 05, 2010
Jencejyde:

Na wah oh! Please let me ask one question to all who beleive this is a bad idea. What kind of leadership training would you want your children to learn in Nigeria presently. Truth hurts oh, but when i look back over 10 years and in that period, an apartheid stricken country has risen up to host the Rugby world cup, Fifa world cup and right now as we speak they are planning to host the Olympics,  IMHO, I think our kids, staff or whoever can learn a thing or two about leadership from them.

Again, if we say Soyinka is here, Chinua Achebe is here Patrick Utomi and co are all here, and they should should be among the ones that these kids should learn leadership training from, Fine! No problem! But after that, should they remain unexposed to know what obtains in other countries. (local champions philosophy)

By far as we speak now,  South Africa is way ahead of us and that is because they are doing the right things and we are not, Truth be said. And more lower countries if we are not careful will catch up and overtake us. As i write this, it hurts but someone posted a qoute on nairaland with facts that Iran spent 4Billion$ on a nuclear project that is working and Nigeria has spent over 20billon$ on just the power sector which is non- existent,  Tell me, what is there to learn from our leadership as we stand presently.

Is it our education that is good or what? or is it Govt that wastes financial resources on frivolous things.

Some peeps are attacking baba the poster, true he may not be right with some comments but  then again he made some priceless points, as Nigerians should we condem someone who has given an opportunity of a life time to kids of public schools and not pros,rogues and what have you. For all i care we may say S.Africa is this, is that but they continue to lead the way internationally in Africa wether we like it or not. Let Nigeria start acting right and stop talking too much.

Here is a governor that is acting, yes he should be criticized but if we can deduce benefits from his actions, then its worth applauding.

Sometimes it's the only language they understand. Just imagine the retarded statement that the government should spend money on street cleaning instead of public school kids.

And Kobojunkie up there , prob' the most ignorant of them all talking about the state is broke and can't develop Lagos. The obvious insinuation is of course that the state shouldn't be spending money on these kids. What's the best form of development if not child and human development? These are backward and dark minded people.

Like I said, I have zero respect for them and their backward and  ignorant opinions, they are not different from the illiterates we have ruling the country.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by oluagness(m): 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2010
Good job!
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2010
babapupa:

Sometimes it's the only language they understand. Just imagine the retarded statement that the government should spend money on street cleaning instead of public school kids.

And Kobojunkie up there , prob' the most ignorant of them all talking about the state is broke and can't develop Lagos. The obvious insinuation is of course that the state shouldn't be spending money on these kids. What's the best form of development if not child and human development? These are backward and dark minded people.

Like I said, I have zero respect for them and their backward and  ignorant opinions, they are not different from the illiterates we have ruling the country.
I feel you sir, really you cant expect too many positive statements and the level of corruption has de-ilulsioned some of our minds not to be able to appreciate a Beneficial cause without attaching any corruption undertone to it (How sad).

And i still say it loud and proud, any investment on a child can never be too expensive or a waste. Thank God for parents who go hungry just so that their kids can have the best knowledge and exposure. These kids are the future or are we saying in 40 or fifty years we still want to be ruled by our present rulers who are only interested in money. Its a big shame on some NL peeps to even condemn an act of goodwill and foresight by the governor.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by tpiah: 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2010

Foreign High School students and University Undergraduates also come to Nigeria for academic research in different areas. The Foreign students are sometimes partly sponsored by the schools and Government. What Governor Fashola is doing is not new.  It is a common practice all over the world.

i tire, tire, tire.

too many illiterates walking around with keyboards glued to their fingers.

@ileke idi

have you ever watched little miss sunshine? Note the lead character (abigael breslin) there. undecided
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by mikeoscar: 4:39pm On Aug 05, 2010
While there might be perfectly viable opportunities to deliver leadership training within Nigeria, that doesn't not necessarily make this trip a bad idea.

Resources need to be used judiciously for the greatest overall benefit, and this can be achieved within the country.

That said, I am disappointed in those saying there is nothing to be learned in SA about leadership. . . if we had leaders like Mandela who voluntarily stood down after one term, or Mbeki who left office after it appeared that he was on a vendetta mission against his deputy, things would be much better in Nigeria.

This is apart from the business examples of leadership in SA, and the recent success of Danny Jordaan in leading the organisation responsible for the successful hosting of the WC.

While we recognise the flaws in SA, let's not be disingenuous when trying to prove a point.

Spot on brother and very sound too!

If I don't read this thread any further it's because I don't want to be drawn into Tribal sentiments and some girl trying to be cool with her arguement. When I joined NL newly, I will jump on anyone sounding silly and any one attacking anything in the name criticising or de-railing a thread for their selfish aim but now I 've learned. The sad thing is, it's the same people running wild all over the place clue-less once a thread is opened. They soon hijack the thread and gradually derail it into a tribal conference or a myopic activist forum.

Bottom line:
1. I don't see anything WRONG with sending kids from Public schools to S.A. or any other country, if Lagos State (or any other state at all) feels it will help expose the kids.

2. Every state governor must not run the same agenda. If I recall, one of the Eastern governors(in an article titled "OHAKIM WORLD CUP GAMBLE"wink sent about 27 youths to South Africa during the 2010 world cup and I thought the the idea was brilliant and the fact that they all returned home without abconding was good image repair for us.
For me it was not all about the world cup but also the opportunity to get some exposure outside their environment and meet with a lot of people with diverse cultures etc from other countries. Even then the poor man was criticise and dogged but that didn't make His critics right.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15835&Itemid=46&page=2

I tire for some of our folks, I beg.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Jencejyde(m): 4:52pm On Aug 05, 2010
mike oscar:

If I don't read this thread any further it's because I don't want to be drawn into Tribal sentiments and some girl trying to be cool with her arguement. When I joined NL newly, I will jump on anyone sounding silly and any one attacking anything in the name criticising or de-railing a thread for their selfish aim but now I 've learned. The sad thing is, it's the same people running wild all over the place clue-less once a thread is opened. They soon hijack the thread and gradually derail it into a tribal conference or a myopic activist forum.

Bottom line:
1. I don't see anything WRONG with sending kids from Public schools to S.A. or any other country, if Lagos State (or any other state at all) feels it will help expose the kids.

2. Every state governor must not run the same agenda. If I recall, one of the Eastern governors(in an article titled "OHAKIM WORLD CUP GAMBLE"wink sent about 27 youths to South Africa during the 2010 world cup and I thought the the idea was brilliant and the fact that they all returned home without abconding was good image repair for us.
For me it was not all about the world cup but also the opportunity to get some exposure outside their environment and meet with a lot of people with diverse cultures etc from other countries. Even then the poor man was criticise and dogged but that didn't make His critics right.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15835&Itemid=46&page=2

Nice one!
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Beaf: 5:44pm On Aug 05, 2010
Baba_O:
@beaf et al

Have you suddenly forgotten what happened at The house of Assembly recently?, i wonder why we argue blindly in this country. Other well to do countries of the world travel out of their countries to learn one thing or the other. You can never be an island. It is a confidence and international experience/exposure building as well.

Rather than throw accusations that others are arguing blindly, it would help if you instead, learn to think critically.
If you have a son you wish to take over the running of your family and business after you have done your part; do you send him to your neighbours house for leadership training making him believe you aren't up to the task, or do you keep him under your wing at home?
Leadership training is something that must be done at home. . . No two ways!

If "what happened at The house of Assembly recently" is your main concern, then you should be extremly troubled about sending them to SA which has the highest incidence of violence in the World, where hundreds of fellow African foreigners were burnt alive in the recent past, where the Western World was aghast at the antics of Julius Malema (ANC youth leader). . . You know little about South Africa, their politics has nothing to offer us.

@topic
It is quite noticable that a lot of people have not been able to differentiate between "Leadership" training and everyday education. Well, they are two very different things. Having exchange students or students on work experience is very different from sending students on leadership training. The word "leadership" packs a very powerful meaning, I don't think it needs to be explained further.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Beaf: 5:49pm On Aug 05, 2010
Jencejyde:

Are we better than them right now?

Yes, we are.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 5:51pm On Aug 05, 2010
Beaf:

Yes, we are.
Beaf:

Rather than throw accusations that others are arguing blindly, it would help if you instead, learn to think critically.
If you have a son you wish to take over the running of your family and business after you have done your part; do you send him to your neighbours house for [b]leadership training making him believe you aren't up to the task, or do you keep him under your wing at home?[/b]
Leadership training is something that must be done at home. . . No two ways!

@topic
It is quite noticable that a lot of people have not been able to differentiate between "Leadership" training and everyday education. Well, they are two very different things. Having exchange students or students on work experience is very different from sending students on leadership training. The word "leadership" packs a very powerful meaning, I don't think it needs to be explained further.

See how people think?  The crap don't even make any freeking sense, it's really a painful read. This is indeed a sad byproduct of the lousiest form of education. I hope your state of village is not counting on you as their future leader of tomorrow.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 5:55pm On Aug 05, 2010
mike oscar:

Bottom line:

Very well said. This trip alone stands to be the most positive thing on their CV/Resume for life
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Beaf: 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2010
babapupa:

See how people think? The crap don't even make any freeking sense, it's really a painful read. This is indeed a sad byproduct of the lousiest form of education. I hope your state of village is not counting on you as their future leader of tomorrow.

It wouldn't come as shock to you the day you finally realise, that while I have already contributed several advancements to World knowledge (yeah, read that again, clown), you have remained no better than a Lastma officer, barking at people like a rabid dog.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by canuck(m): 6:09pm On Aug 05, 2010
uyakachi:

ONLY 42 STUDENT

Aloy_Emeka:

Add S to that student. You need to attend language workshop too.

Una NL peepu no go kill persin with laughter!!!  cheesy

@Topic

Nothing wrong here, except if somebody is being unduly enriched here by charging outrageous amounts for this commendable action.

Each of those kids should be tasked with implementing tangible community development projects, thereby contributing to the society, developing their leadership skills, and grooming many others who will be unable to attend such foreign trainings.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by babapupa: 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2010
Beaf:

It wouldn't  come as shock to you the day you finally realise, that while I have already contributed several advancements to World knowledge (yeah, read that again, clown), you have remained no better than a Lastma officer, barking at people like a rabid dog.

Really, must you make me laugh? It feels funny conversing with you self, I ignored your immature a/s/s before and I think I'm gonna go that route again. Why go back and forth with a damaged and polluted  product?
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Vquest(m): 6:14pm On Aug 05, 2010
Whoever is in charge of this went through all the trouble of setting the photo shoots and yet neglected to find caps that fit? Why were the caps even necessary. Those things looked like they were picked up for 1 naira at a street corner.
Re: 42 Students From Lagos Jet Out For Leadership Training In South Africa. (pics) by Beaf: 6:17pm On Aug 05, 2010
babapupa:

Really, must you make me laugh? It feels funny conversing with you self, I ignored your immature a/s/s before and I think I'm gonna go that route again. Why go back and forth with a damaged and polluted product?

Clap for yourself for finally realising you are a fool, no better than a Lastma official that has learnt to type. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

OPC's Anti-Boko Haram Protest Are Unnecessary – Northern Youths / Boko Haram Threatens To Attack Govt Buildings In Abuja &19 Northern States / Meet The FIRST Person To Appear On Television In AFRICA (picture).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.