Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets (9229 Views)

FG Spends N5.8bn On Presidential Jets In Six Months / GEJ Still Flies Presidential Jets? / PMB Orders Disposal Of Nine Presidential Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 12:42am On Aug 12, 2010
What a waste of resources, as if there are not more pressing issues needing funding these days. Nigeria finds a way to waist money on jets?? Shame!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 12:56am On Aug 12, 2010
$150 million for three corporate jets sounds like a ton of cash, yet every 24 hours Nigeria earns that much money from oil exports, which ship at the rate of two million barrels daily. 

this statement is not true and is what makes a lot of ppl think the country is too rich. . .

The international price per barrel of oil is not what Nigeria earns,what we earn is the royalties and taxes paid by the IOCs

Taxes at 30% and royalties at 50% or thearabouts

Some offshore fields pay zero royalties,since they were given pioneer status

Also the oil companies have to subtract any cost of drilling before they calculate PPT(Petroleum profit tax)

But i guess its too easy to just  make lavish claims
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 12:59am On Aug 12, 2010
Also there is nothing wrong with the Presidential planes being bought

if they have been budgeted for in this yrs appropriation bill,what exactly is the big deal?

Or do u prefer them to budget for planes and then not buy it and the money dis-appears?

Finally the planes are a national asset. . .it will be there for the next president to use. . . cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 12, 2010
BUT WAIT NIGERIA, cause it gets even better. Make a payment today we'll throw in 1 ffffrrrreeeeee President with every order!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, no longer do you have to spend large sums of money, paying thugs/committees, rigging ballet boxes, and secreting away the opposition!
WE'LL BUY YOUR OLD ONE AND PAY OFF FOR YOUR NEW ONE!!!!

ACT NOW!!!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by DisGuy: 1:33am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

if they have been budgeted for in this yrs appropriation bill,what exactly is the big deal?

Or do u prefer them to budget for planes and then not buy it and the money dis-appears?

Finally the planes are a national asset. . .it will be there for the next president to use. . . cool

The big deal is that it can be cancelled, if you plan to upgrade your car next year, you dont have to!

If jonathan is as clean as we shout then we dont have to worry about the money disappearing, afterall
monies not spent go back into the federation account under his dead oga, or does he want to cancel that practise now?

the 5-8 previous planes are not presidential assets?
The presidential fleet currently boasts of eight aircraft - including three jets. It consists of a 70-tonne Boeing business jet bought in 2006 by former President Olusegun Obasanjo. In addition, there are the Gulfstream V, and Gulfstream IVSP, and two Falcon 900s. 234Next

every year or after every election the national assembly budget huge sums for cars almost as if they previous cars
are coffin-on-wheels- why them no fit collect car from previous senators to be re-used?
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Kobojunkie: 1:34am On Aug 12, 2010
Dis Guy:

the 5-8 previous planes are not presidential assets?
every year or after every election the national assembly budget huge sums for cars almost as if they previous ones
now coffins on wheels- why them no fit collect car from previous senators to be re-used?

e tire me ooo!!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 2:12am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

The big deal is that the money should have originally been allocated to something else, especially a place now calling for the raise of debt just to fund something as simple as Elections! Elections is something that is way more important than the luxurious transportation of the president and his goons! The planes are not a national asset, as they loose value the same as anything else, especially a plane as extravagant as a jet!!!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Beaf: 2:17am On Aug 12, 2010
Ladyjide:

The big deal is that the money should have originally been allocated to something else, especially a place now calling for the raise of debt just to fund something as simple as Elections! Elections is something that is way more important than the luxurious transportation of the president and his goons! The planes are not a national asset, as they loose value the same as anything else, especially a plane as extravagant as a jet!!!

You want our presido to fly around in a propeller driven plane? shocked
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 2:19am On Aug 12, 2010
Elections is something that is way more important than the luxurious transportation of the president and his goons!   The planes are not a national asset,  as they loose value the same as anything else, especially a plane as extravagant as a jet!!!

dOESNT oBAMA HAVE HIS air force 1/2 and so on. . . ?

So let my president be. . .let him have the best jet.  .and stop calling the president aides goons. . .

In Nigeria we are Kings n Queens not goons(whatever that means) okay. . Thats how we roll ,  i dont know about u. . . .

PEEP this. . . We respect our leaders. . . Now thats Gangster. . .lol

[B]Royal Benin wives at a traditional ceremony. The Oba of Benin, whose lineage dates back to several centuries [/B]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_ySCIT3KO9Zc/RZBsvKeKt1I/AAAAAAAAAcs/DfNoEdAaYh4/s400/1.jpg[/img]
[B]IGWE KENNETH NNAJI ONYEMAEKE ORIZU III
Obi of Nnewi
Nigeria[/B]
[img]http://2.bp..com/_ySCIT3KO9Zc/RZBsZaeKtxI/AAAAAAAAAcM/X_IZQIVQKAA/s400/4.jpg[/img]
[B]OBA JOSEPH ADEKOLA OGUNOYE
Olowo of Owo
Nigeria[/B]
[img]http://1.bp..com/_ySCIT3KO9Zc/RZBr5KeKtqI/AAAAAAAAAbU/rhHnFy0TSZk/s400/11.jpg[/img]
[B]ABUBAKAR SIDIQ
Sultan of Sokoto
Nigeria[/B]
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 2:34am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

dOESNT oBAMA HAVE HIS air force 1/2 and so on. . . ?

So let my president be. . .let him have the best jet.  .and stop calling the president aides goons. . .

In Nigeria we are Kings n Queens not goons(whatever that means) okay. . Thats how we roll ,  i dont know about u. . . .

PEEP this. . . We respect our leaders. . . Now thats Gangster. . .lol

Last time I checked we share the same President, ( so I am un sure what you are talking about) Every President in every  country has their own aircraft but not very often do you hear of them purchasing new ones unnecessarily, especially when funds are needed for more important matters. Its not about having the best, it is truly about the better of the country. I belive that is the oath that he took when he inherited the presidency!   Goons is what I called them, and I stand by that statement- Those planes are not being purchased for official use. Bottom line when waste full spending is controlled in Nigeria, then perhaps we will see a better country all the way around!!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 2:38am On Aug 12, 2010
Beaf:

You want our presido to fly around in a propeller driven plane? shocked
Not saying that at all-I wouldnt even fly in a propeller driven plane, but what is he flying around in now?? What is wrong with those planes,
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 2:42am On Aug 12, 2010
Not saying that at all-I wouldnt even fly in a propeller driven plane, but what is he flying around in now??  What is wrong with those planes,

I guess u didnt hear that 2 planes in the fleet developed engine fault in Uganda just 2weeks or so ago. . .

U want us to go through the trauma of the polish ppl before we buy brand new planes for our leaders?. . ,

and the planes are not only for the president but for the use of the senate,leadership and house of rep leadership
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 2:43am On Aug 12, 2010
Last time I checked we share the same President, ( so I am un sure what you are talking about)

Well u were sounding like one of the various americans that troll this site. . .

Who uses the word goon outside a rap song?. . . cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 2:48am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

I guess u didnt hear the 2 planes in the fleet developed engine fault in Uganda just 2weeks or so ago. . .

U want us to go through the trauma of the polish ppl before we buy brand mew planes for our leaders?. . ,

and the planes are not only for the president but for the use of the senate,leadership and house of rep leadership

I always like a good debate, The polish president did not die because of the plane, they died because the pilots did not listen to Air Traffic Control, and decided to land during hazardous weather conditions! Lets get facts straight--- Despite that any plane can develop issues at any time, no matter how new or old the plane is or how much is spent on it. Planes go down every day- even the Airliners go down!  Fact still remains the same- it is waste full spending, and that money can be used else where, So where do you think money  will come for the elections??  That should not even be a question !
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 2:51am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

Well u were sounding like one of the various americans that troll this site. . .

Who uses the word goon outside a rap song?. . . cool

Sounding like, ok! and who uses the word goon these days in a rap song, ? Last I check I do not model my vocabulary after rap songs!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 2:58am On Aug 12, 2010
So where do you think money  will come for the elections??  That should not even be a question !

The elections spending is emergency spending that comes every 4yrs. . .and Why are u harping on election,when the money has already been released. . .

bottom line,our president needs brand new planes for the fleet
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 2:59am On Aug 12, 2010
Sounding like, ok! and who uses the word goon these days in a rap song, ? Last I check I do not model my vocabulary after rap songs!

who uses the word goon. . period
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 3:03am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

The elections spending is emergency spending that comes every 4yrs. . .and Why are u harping on election,when the money has already been released. . .

bottom line,our president needs brand new planes for the fleet

I am harping because the election is by far more important than a plane! He needs a brand new planes- At the expense of the people of Nigeria??----not everything that you say you need should you get !!! It is emergency spending that should be preplanned- it comes like CLOCK work every four years, not a surprise!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by paddylo1(m): 3:29am On Aug 12, 2010
I am harping because the election is by far more important than a plane!
Why not housing,food,clothes. . .why just stop at election. . .why not put everything in order first before u buy a plane

U say election,how about i say no,i need lagos state to be paid the money to help with infrastructure there

U see your arguement is not teneble,cause u are joining 2 mutually exclusive events together

He needs a brand new planes- At the expense of the people of Nigeria??

Every political office holder in the world is funded at the expense of the people of the country. . .glad u just figured that out

It is emergency spending that should be preplanned- it comes like CLOCK work every four years, not a surprise!

Well the money for the election has been released. . .so perhaps u should drop it and move on
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 3:39am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

Why not housing,food,clothes. . .why just stop at election. . .why not put everything in order first before u buy a plane

U say election,how about i say no,i need lagos state to be paid the money to help with infrastructure there

U see your arguement is not teneble,cause u are joining 2 mutually exclusive events together

Every political office holder in the world is funded at the expense of the people of the country. . .glad u just figured that out

Well the money for the election has been released. . .so perhaps u should drop it and move on

You say one thing I say another- we can agree to disagree- bottom line there are way more pressing issues than airplanes for the President in Nigeria that need funding- as I originally stated before you started throwing out your post. You just now, reiterated what I said !! Thanks! One hand washes the other- and it all starts with ELECTED officials, I will drop it, since you are becoming up tight about it!! RELAX
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Jakumo(m): 9:16am On Aug 12, 2010
Growing up in the Niger Delta's oil fields and witnessing the devastating pollution caused by the flaring of natural gas around the clock for the past half century, President Jonathan Goodluck knows first hand that the harnessing of that hitherto wasted natural resource is an extremely urgent matter of life and death for all to whom the Niger Delta is home, while that volatile effluent is also the KEY to Nigeria's long term energy self-sufficiency aspirations.

As pointed out by other writers here, income far exceeding the $150 million price tag on the entire fleet of Nigeria's newly acquired corporate jets is accrued DAILY from oil exports and other related revenue streams, by the Nigerian federal government.  By revitalizing Nigeria's electrical power distribution grid on a scale never attempted by any previous head of state, Jonathan Goodluck has demonstrated his commitment to delivering electrical power to Nigeria, in [i]evident practice, [/i]rather than words.

Among the countless mortal foes undoubtedly arrayed against Goodluck Jonathan due to his brave policy of lasting reform, the filthy rich profiteers and generator merchants, whose systematic sabotage deprived Nigeria of electrical power for a human lifetime, no doubt rank among the most virulent and cunning.   For this and countless other reasons of the diplomatic realm,  a $150 million stable of new, long range corporate jets, AND their attendant annual running costs, constitute but a SMALL requisition from the national treasury, when stacked up against exponentially increasing benefits attainable with Jonathan Goodluck steadfast at the helm of the Nigerian federal government, before and after the forcoming presidential elections.
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by dustydee: 9:31am On Aug 12, 2010
paddy_lo:

this statement is not true and is what makes a lot of ppl think the country is too rich. . .

The international price per barrel of oil is not what Nigeria earns,what we earn is the royalties and taxes paid by the IOCs

Taxes at 30% and royalties at 50% or thearabouts

Some offshore fields pay zero royalties,since they were given pioneer status

Also the oil companies have to subtract any cost of drilling before they calculate PPT(Petroleum profit tax)

But i guess its too easy to just make lavish claims

true talk
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by dustydee: 9:32am On Aug 12, 2010
one ok but three?not sure about that, waste if you ask me, what happened to the one bought by OBJ?
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 12, 2010
dustydee:

one ok but three?not sure about that, waste if you ask me, what happened to the one bought by OBJ?
I guess the one obj bought was the same that developed fault recently.btw,how many aircraft is the presidency entitled to ?
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by otokx(m): 11:37am On Aug 12, 2010
This is obscene
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Kobojunkie: 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2010
Jakumo:
  By revitalizing Nigeria's electrical power distribution grid on a scale never attempted by any previous head of state, Jonathan Goodluck has demonstrated his commitment to delivering electrical power to Nigeria, in [i]evident practice, [/i]rather than words.

Please stop making facts up out of thin air!  Jonathan himself has yet to inform anyone of improvements of such kinds. If you look into the power situation, you will notice that most all that has changed is probably distribution rotation and not much else. The country is still at about 3600MW, about 1000MW of which resulted from last year's 6000MW exercise. jeeezzz!! Unless we now manufacture power out of thing air, you would have to show where these claims of yours come from.

oh yeah, you still haven't answered my question to you on page 1.
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Kobojunkie: 1:28pm On Aug 12, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I guess the one obj bought was the same that developed fault recently.btw,how many aircraft is the presidency entitled to ?

Even Tokunbo(if that is really what these men are smoking) can last a lifetime if properly maintained. Why are we spending these exorbitant amounts most every four years for what? Only last month, one of the planes stalled in Uganda. Why not use the second plane then until the bad is fixed? Let me guess, his wife must have her own plane? And yes, how many aircrafts for our Nigerian president? I know some nincompoop is going to come in comparing this to what countries like America and other developed nations have. But for those with a brain in their skull box, I am sure this question remains valid. Why does a present need 3 planes? (Add the old 2, and the helicopter we know OBj purchased late 2006, and you have at least 6 planes in the fleet). Why?
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Jakumo(m): 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Even Tokunbo(if that is really what these men are smoking) can last a lifetime if properly maintained. Why are we spending these exorbitant amounts most every four years for what? Only last month, one of the planes stalled in Uganda. Why not use the second plane then until the bad is fixed?

Airframes do in fact have a FINITE lifespan, measured in thousands of hours and flight cycles, beyond which metal fatigue and corrosion become significant enough to threaten the structural integrity of the fuselage and flight surfaces.  This is why that aircraft graveyard out in the Arizona desert is so vast in acreage, and full to capacity of parked jets and turboprops that will all be scavenged for re-usable parts before being dismantled by mechanical crushers, for recycling into aluminum beer cans.

In the same vein, the engines of all aircraft become prohibitively expensive to overhaul as they near the maximum recommended number of flight hours specified by the manufacturer.  Depending on usage, the aircraft in the Nigerian presidential fleet may well have already reached the point of diminishing returns, whereafter it would actually be cheaper to procure a new fleet than than incur the escalating maintenance costs of the existing birds.
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2010
Jakumo:

Airframes do in fact have a FINITE lifespan, measured in thousands of hours and flight cycles, beyond which metal fatigue and corrosion become significant enough to threaten the structural integrity of the fuselage and flight surfaces.  This is why that aircraft graveyard out in the Arizona desert is so vast in acreage, and full to capacity of parked jets and turboprops that will all be scavenged for re-usable parts before being dismantled and recycled into aluminum beer cans.

uum . . .  Tokunbo refers to all things tokunbo including cars, clothing, ware etc. Tokunbos can last you a lifetime does not imply ALL TOKUNBOS WILL LAST YOU A LIFETIME. Now back to the main here  before you decided to give me that lecture . . . jeeezzz lol

Please answer the questions asked already! The tokunbo comment was not a question.
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Jakumo(m): 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2010
Regardless of whether we approve or not, these new jets WILL be procured by Goodluck Jonathan, for his use, or for use by the staff and person of whoever wins the upcoming Nigerian presidential elections.
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Aug 12, 2010
Jakumo:

Regardless of whether we approve or not, these new jets WILL be procured by Goodluck Jonathan, for his use, or for use by the staff and person of whoever wins the upcoming Nigerian presidential elections.

Absolutely . . . so why did you feel need to post SUPPORT for it? Are those of us with opposing opinions somehow not supposed to voice our opposition because it will be done anyways?

Sigh! When you get to answering the questions asked, let me know!
Re: Nigeria To Buy More Presidential Jets by Ladyjide(f): 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Absolutely . . . so why did you feel need to post SUPPORT for it? Are those of us with opposing opinions somehow not supposed to voice our opposition because it will be done anyways?

Sigh! When you get to answering the questions asked, let me know!

I AGREE, and because our point is valid the best way to change subject is to say-forget it, whats done is done??!! Double standard

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Northerners Given Ultimatum To Quit Niger Delta By Militants / Orji - My Commissioners, Permanent Secretaries Are Rogues / BOKOHARAM Is Dead!Celebrating no xmas bombing first time in 6yrs,Yeepee!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.