Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (19796 Views)

If Jesus Christ Was God, Why Did He Find Fault With Some Old Testament Laws? / Churches Should Obey The Government's Social Distancing And Lockdown Order / Are We Truly Safe, When We Commit Sin With Condoms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by SEGLIZ: 9:58am On Mar 10, 2019
fordunit:

There are still part of the old testament that are still relevant for our time. There are also part of that old testament that Christ kicked against while he walked this Earth. Have you forgotten so soon how he didn't honour the Sabbath day? How can you forget so quickly, that Christ had a long conversation with a pegan at the well? He even ate with task collectors, sinners and criticized the Saducees and Pharisees?

Someone above raised a very important point about purchasing slaves and you were quick to condemn all other versions of the Bible just to sound right. Even people who are not lettered know that during Bible times up until 1833, slavery was a very big business. And we all know from history how slaves were treated. The way African slaves were treated was even mild compared to how those in Bible times treated slaves.

A real teacher of God's word will try and reason with his audience objectively and not try to defend God's word blindly. The days of people following you guys like fools is long long. If every part of the old testament must be followed then by all means buy yourself a slave, use the whip on him constantly, put him in a cage in an attempt to sell him in the market and see if you won't be set ablaze.

every law of the Old Testament still stands and holds but we need to apply the in God's terms and in His fear and fairness.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Korllami007: 9:59am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Mumu, is that a law?

Na you de follow all the things in the Bible
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by greensandy: 9:59am On Mar 10, 2019
BeLookingIDIOT:
The real reason for this thread is because of tithing grin
OP there are more 700 laws in the OT.Even if we omit the ones Jesus and co-Jesus(Paul) abrogated,which are few,we still would have a lot of laws to observe...I mean laws which include ones that would render you a criminal if you practiced them in today's world.

It would then be wrong to claim God is unchangeable.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Hermes019: 10:00am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Mumu, is that a law?
I thought your bible said you should not curse people

grin

This guy is really funny

Actually it would be fun if all christians would be like you
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:00am On Mar 10, 2019
jpmoriarti:
You are a thief. You want to keep confusing people with wrong scriptures so your stream of income does not diminish. Better go and find work to do and earn a meaningful living. The pentecostal bubble has already burst for people like you. People are wiser now. Old testament is not for christians. You cannot establish any christian doctrine from there

Funny dude.

Make sure you break that old Testament law by sleeping with your mother tonight.

Mind you, I'm mo Pentecostal Church member.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:00am On Mar 10, 2019
LordPsalm:

Actually, God sends prophets in the aforetime with different commandments. The Old testament is only there for us to realize the importance of the death of Christ and our inheritance in God now.
Christ has fulfilled the law and we therefore don't need to keep them anymore.
We are Christians and NOT JEWS.
I like this your post jaare

Don't mind Those end time pastors

Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:01am On Mar 10, 2019
Korllami007:

Go and do it in abia or lagos the beating wey you go chop go reshape your face people wey see you go think say you get tumor for face , if you are lucky den no burn you

That's because you people have thrown away the old testament laws of God.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:02am On Mar 10, 2019
Hermes019:
I thought your bible said you should not curse people
grin
This guy is really funny
Actually it would be fun if all christians would be like you
Where is that written?
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:03am On Mar 10, 2019
Korllami007:

Go and do it in abia or lagos the beating wey you go chop go reshape your face people wey see you go think say you get tumor for face , if you are lucky den no burn you
cheesy
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Xmen149(m): 10:03am On Mar 10, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Modern employees are bought (technically)

labourer and wages..... not slave...

nawa oh!

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/labourer

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/slave
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by openmine(m): 10:06am On Mar 10, 2019
Now, there are some laws which he changed in the new testament. Remember he stated through Apostle Paul that since the Levitical priesthood changed, there came a change of the law. It doesn't say the law was THROWN OUT, it only says it CHANGED.

Hebrews 7:12 KJV
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

12 because when there is a change in the priesthood there must be a corresponding change in the law as well.

11-14 If the priesthood of Levi and Aaron, which provided the framework for the giving of the law, could really make people perfect, there wouldn’t have been need for a new priesthood like that of Melchizedek. But since it didn’t get the job done, there was a change of priesthood, which brought with it a radical new kind of law. The Message

12 And if the priesthood is changed, the law must also be changed to permit it.

Greek Word Pronunciation of CHANGE: al-LAS-oh
Strong’s Number: 236
Goodrich/Kohlenberger Number: 248
Key Verse: “… and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God …” -- Romans 1:23

This is a word that comes from allos, meaning “another of a different kind.”
Allasso means “to make other than it is; to cause one thing to cease and another to take its place.” It appears only 6 times in the New Testament.

In Acts 6:14, at Stephen’s arrest, the Jews misrepresented Stephen’s comment, indicating Stephen had said that Jesus would alter the Mosaic customs, to introduce other customs in their place.

In 1 Corinthians 15:51-52, in reference to the Rapture, “we will all be changed.” Believers will undergo such a change as to fit them for their new abode in heaven.

In Galatians 4:20, Paul was expressing his wish to be physically present with the Galatian believers to “change” his tone, that is, from the severe sound in a letter, to a tender quality. He wants to change the manner, not the substance of his speech.

Hebrews 1:12 is in reference to the temporary nature of the world which “will also be changed.” Creation is now decaying, and this is contrasted with the immutability of Christ, Who never changes.

In summary,CHANGE is simply doing away with the FORMER and REPLACING with something NEW

I welcome contrary opinions to this with biblical quotations! cool cool
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:06am On Mar 10, 2019
Korllami007:

Make I give you another one

Psalm 139 vs 9 kjv
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

New Living Translation
Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!

You want to be happy? Christians in the house smash your kids against the rock

Please kindly follow what the Bible preaches we all believe in it grin

Do you know how foolish you are? You just picked one verse and ran wild with it, without observing it's context. That verse is talking about the punishment Babylon will face for enslaving the children of Israel. It says the person who punishes them will be happy. It in no way says we should do such.

Psalm 137 King James Version (KJV)
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.
For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.
How shall we sing the L ORD 's song in a strange land?
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.
If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy.
Remember, O L ORD , the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase it, rase it, even to the foundation thereof.
O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by sylvadan: 10:08am On Mar 10, 2019
BeLookingIDIOT:
The real reason for this thread is because of tithing grin
OP there are more 700 laws in the OT.Even if we omit the ones Jesus and co-Jesus(Paul) abrogated,which are few,we still would have a lot of laws to observe...I mean laws which include ones that would render you a criminal if you practiced them in today's world.

thanks for the topic;we are free to eat any animals,can u eat vulture,owl,head of cat,pork,cold dog meat,?because of peter in a trance that mandated him to eat any animals does that apply to us?
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:09am On Mar 10, 2019
openmine:

12 because when there is a change in the priesthood there must be a corresponding change in the law as well.

11-14 If the priesthood of Levi and Aaron, which provided the framework for the giving of the law, could really make people perfect, there wouldn’t have been need for a new priesthood like that of Melchizedek. But since it didn’t get the job done, there was a change of priesthood, which brought with it a radical new kind of law. The Message

12 And if the priesthood is changed, the law must also be changed to permit it.

In summary,CHANGE is simply doing away with the FORMER and REPLACING with something NEW

I welcome contrary opinions to this with biblical quotations! cool cool

Wrong interpretation. It doesn't say do away with. It only says change, which means portions of it. Otherwise while would Paul uphold the law against eating blood if it has been done away with? What about Paul upholding homosexuality etc

Since the law has been done away with according to you, then go and have hot steamy sex with your mother tonight which the law warns against.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:10am On Mar 10, 2019
sylvadan:

thanks for the topic;we are free to eat any animals,can u eat vulture,owl,head of cat,pork,cold dog meat,?because of peter in a trance that mandated him to eat any animals does that apply to us?

Yes, because Paul said we can eat all things. This corroborated Peters vision.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by orunto27: 10:10am On Mar 10, 2019
No.
Jesus is The Beginning, The Now and The Future.

He is The Old, The New and The Future Testaments.

He is also The Interpreter,The Intelligence and The Internet of The Word.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by benedictuyi(m): 10:10am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The old testament contains the laws amd words of Jesus our God. Jesus even said he will send the Holy Spirit to remind us of his words. Now, if you throw away the old testament, how will you know the words of Jesus written there for the Holy Spirit to remind you of?

God was made flesh in Christ Jesus and his message was centered around love.
You are doing this clearly because you want to manipulate people into thinking tithing is relevant. Any god that needs money before it can perform it's godly duties is related to mammon

1 Like

Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:12am On Mar 10, 2019
Let me finish all your fight just click the link below and read through.

https://www.nairaland.com/1116294/three-types-laws-bible-responsibilities
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:13am On Mar 10, 2019
benedictuyi:

You are doing this clearly because you want to manipulate people into thinking tithing is relevant. Any god that needs money before it can perform it's godly duties is related to mammon
just save your word and click the link below and you argue no More..

Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:14am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Yes, because Paul said we can eat all things. This corroborated Peters vision.
follow this link and stop your argument..
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:14am On Mar 10, 2019
benedictuyi:

Yes the message of Jesus is centred around love. He also said if you love him, you will keep his commandments.

John 14:15 (KJV)
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

His commandments are all there in the bible from Genesis to Revelations. The ones you are not to obey in the old testament are the ones he specifically changed in the new testament. This also means that the ones he didn't change still hold.

Forever remain silent if you csnt show me where he put a stop to tithing in the new Testament.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by openmine(m): 10:15am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Wrong interpretation. It doesn't say do away with. It only says change, which means portions of it. Otherwise while would Paul uphold the law against eating blood if it has been done away with? What about Paul upholding homosexuality etc

Since the law has been done away with according to you, then go and have hot steamy sex with your mother tonight which the law warns against.
Once again you have given no proof of what CHANGE means in the bible but i brought mine cool cool
You are actually the one erroneously misquoting the bible!
Hebrews 7:12 is too explicit for you not to comprehend its simple meaning!
Unless you are implying that the levitical priesthood was never set aside ab initio!
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:16am On Mar 10, 2019
Topmaike007:
follow this link and stop your argument..

The Bible laws aren't for Israel alone but for God's people worldwide. The ones Jesus changed are no longer followed by his disciples in that country.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:17am On Mar 10, 2019
Some laws we're observing as Christians are actually meant for the country of Isreal and that's their own problem, I never observe Nigeria law finish na their own remain...
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by fordunit(m): 10:19am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You didn't read the OP at all. You just ran wild after reading its title.

Didn't I address that Jesus changed some aspects of the old testament and that the ones he didn't change are to still be adhere to?

Like I said, slaves are different from servants and are still somehow similar. I don't have time to start explaining g the Buble usage to you.

It's alright.

We go soon stone you just as the old testament recommended make you for get sense.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:20am On Mar 10, 2019
openmine:

Once again you have given no proof of what CHANGE means in the bible but i brought mine cool cool
You are actually the one erroneously misquoting the bible!
Hebrews 7:12 is too explicit for you not to comprehend its simple meaning!
Unless you are implying that the levitical priesthood was never set aside ab initio!

I just showed that the law only changed cos it still has portion of the old. But you claim it has been done away with and totally replaced. If so how come the new law looks very much like the old?
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Topmaike007(m): 10:21am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The Bible laws aren't for Israel alone but for God's people worldwide. The ones Jesus changed are no longer followed by his disciples in that country.
some laws are meant to guide the isreali cos dey were about to create a new nation and a sinless nation is a lawless nation...

My own is as an indigene of Nigeria I have not observe my own law finish I will now start with another nation law, Biko that's foolishness,I only observe the 10 commandments and the 10 commandments have been summarize into 2 by Jesus which says Love God and Love your neighbours...

2 Likes

Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:21am On Mar 10, 2019
fordunit:

It's alright.

We go soon stone you just as the old testament recommended make you for get sense.

Stoning got changed by Jesus in the new testament when he prevented those people from stoning that adulteress woman.

Go back and read the OP for better understanding.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by Xmen149(m): 10:22am On Mar 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Yes the message of Jesus is centred around love. He also said if you love him, you will keep his commandments.

John 14:15 (KJV)
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

His commandments are all there in the bible from Genesis to Revelations. The ones you are not to obey in the old testament are the ones he specifically changed in the new testament. This also means that the ones he didn't change still hold.

Forever remain silent if you csnt show me where he put a stop to tithing in the new Testament.

his commandment is love

1 Like

Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by alBHAGDADI: 10:23am On Mar 10, 2019
Topmaike007:
some laws are meant to guide the isreali cos dey were about to create a new nation and a sinless nation is a lawless nation...

My own is as an indigene of Nigeria I have not observe my own law finish I will now start with another nation law, Biko that's foolishness,I only observe the 10 commandments and the 10 commandments have been summarize into 2 by Jesus which says Love God and Love your neighbours...

God's laws are for his people. The ones meant for the children of Israel are clearly understood as such. But many of those laws are meant for those who believe in God, not just the teen commandments. If you say it is only the teen commandments you want to obey, then make sure you break one of those old laws by sleeping with your daughter, sister or mother tonight.
Re: Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? by obailala(m): 10:24am On Mar 10, 2019
fordunit:

There are still part of the old testament that are still relevant for our time. There are also part of that old testament that Christ kicked against while he walked this Earth. Have you forgotten so soon how he didn't honour the Sabbath day? How can you forget so quickly, that Christ had a long conversation with a pegan at the well? He even ate with task collectors, sinners and criticized the Saducees and Pharisees?

Someone above raised a very important point about purchasing slaves and you were quick to condemn all other versions of the Bible just to sound right. Even people who are not lettered know that during Bible times up until 1833, slavery was a very big business. And we all know from history how slaves were treated. The way African slaves were treated was even mild compared to how those in Bible times treated slaves.

A real teacher of God's word will try and reason with his audience objectively and not try to defend God's word blindly. The days of people following you guys like fools is long long. If every part of the old testament must be followed then by all means buy yourself a slave, use the whip on him constantly, put him in a cage in an attempt to sell him in the market and see if you won't be set ablaze.

Hahaha.... I read through what the Op posted, and then through some of the first comments on the thread. At first I was going to comment with some better examples of laws which arent practical today (cos I didnt think the slavery one was even very good), but then I saw how the Op responded ferociously and abusively to the guy who made that comment. And then it dawned on me the Op was a desperate religious fraudster. May God save us gullible believers from false preachers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ozubulu Villagers Gather In Front Of Attacked Church To Pray For The Dead.Photos / Apostle Suleman Kissing His Wife, Lizzy Suleman On His Birthday / Just How Big Do You Think Bishop Oyedepo's Ministry Is?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.