Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (49755 Views)

Oladejo Lamikanra - Nigerian Lawyer Who Lied His Way To The Top / How Obasanjo Lied His Way To Heroism / Nigerians Lie: How Pastor Adeboye Lied His Way To Fame-Superego (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by obowunmi(m): 12:06am On Dec 14, 2011
chima12:

Too much bad belle just because  Emeagwali is not yoruba.if he were yoruba,they would be praising him.nigeria is hopeless,the youths are even worse.well next time your area boys/armed robbers and street miscreants--[opc] want to protest,they shouldnt forget their toy guns and cutlasses.Theyll also need bows and arrows to drive home their point.

You are the tribalist here. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by ektbear: 12:06am On Dec 14, 2011
Bad belle = calling out a man charging $10k per lecture for winning a $1000 award in school?

Lmao

If every Nigerian abroad who has won such small money is able to then even collect 2X what they won from Nigeria, Nigeria will go bankrupt.

I am just entirely amazing that anyone is trying to defend this
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by dayokanu(m): 12:09am On Dec 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Bad belle = calling out a man charging $10k per lecture for winning a $1000 award in school?

Lmao

If every Nigerian abroad who has won such small money is able to then even collect 2X what they won from Nigeria, Nigeria will go bankrupt.

I am just entirely amazing that anyone is trying to defend this

No surprise there.

Thats in the nature of Igbos

dayokanu:

Its only Igbos who celebrate a runaway warlord as brave - Ojuku

Its only Igbos who celebrate a fraudster as father of internet - Emeagwali

Its only Igbos who leave the cursed villages for other peoples land yet claim their land is better

Its only Igbos who would eat human being and claim they were saving him from decomposition.

Its only Igbos who would go on R@ping spree of grandmothers to celebrate New Yam festival
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 14, 2011
Anyone who delivers lectures is free to charge whatever amount he/she feels like charging.Its a free world,its part of the free market enterprise.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by ektbear: 12:25am On Dec 14, 2011
So as a high-schooler who won first place in my division in the county science fair and got a $500 prize (this is a very local science fair btw just for my county, in no way comparable to the big national Westinghouse talent search), should I have been able to charge $5,000 to lecture in Nigeria?

Despite being a 16 year old kid? grin grin

I just want to know what the ground rules are here. If Emeagwali is legitimate, then I will go to Nigeria and hit you all up for every penny you have. Because if I sum up the amount of competitive prize money I have won over the course of my life up to this time, it is literally 100X+ more than this peanut prize Emeagwali won.

And you will have thousands more like me who will be looking for cash.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by ektbear: 12:27am On Dec 14, 2011
I said it before and I will say it again, International Thief Thief
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 14, 2011
@ obowunmi, when you point a finger at someone,the remaining four fingers point back at you.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by obowunmi(m): 12:39am On Dec 14, 2011
chima12:

@ obowunmi, when you point a finger at someone,the remaining four fingers point back at you.

The man is a fraud. Igbo or not! angry angry angry angry

When did a cheap student prize become a Nobel prize undecided undecided undecided
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by ektbear: 12:45am On Dec 14, 2011
chima12:

Anyone who delivers lectures is free to charge whatever amount he/she feels like charging.Its a free world,its part of the free market enterprise.

Free market ke?

So if I sell accident-damaged vehicles as brand new or used, that is also "free market?"

Doing that is fraud and will likely get you jailed.

Free market ideology assumes that people aren't selling fake products and marketing them as genuine.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by OneNaira6: 2:49am On Dec 14, 2011
eGuerrilla:

This is not a particularly difficult task if you are prepared to spend time trawling through earlier revisions of his web site: [url]http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.emeagwali.com/[/url]

The simple truth is, Brother Philip was never awarded a PhD, and certainly does not hold a Professorship at any college
He was/is an exceptional brilliant scientist, and this is not in dispute. But it is also true to say he has displayed a penchant for stretching credulity or at the very least, allowing others to do so, on his behalf, over the years.

A friend of mine who authored a book on black inventors wrote to him ahead of publication, to verify facts concerning his public biography several years ago.
Did he see fit to issue any clarification on the points that have since maligned his otherwise scholarly reputation? No!
Just think about the number of similar opportunities not seized, to clear up erroneous assumptions which were later to take on a life form. . .

At a certain level, I actually do feel sorry for him.
Our quest for heroes often creates personality cults that eventually subsume the very object of affection, so I understand how he might also have missed some of the warning signs.
The internet was markedly different back in the 90s, that he possibly might not have foreseen the era of drive-by critics (detractors) who, for good or bad, leave no stone unturned.

Still, it needs to be said that posterity would probably have been less ambivalent in its appraisal if only he had he adopted a clearer road map  – motivational speaking and/or academia and/or author and/or poet – in earlier years.

Here is the question you need to ponder over: at what point are you prepared to call a spade a spade?

I went through that link from all pages highlighted.  It is basically the same thing repeated over and over again just in case you weren't aware of that but I need to ask what does that proof?  Everything written up there was either a quote from an article written about him by CNN, Time, FOX,  a history book, etc. or a speech on how Africa should improve itself, how is that emeagwali taking credit of something he has no factor in. Is Emegwali the founder of those media?  Is he a writer in any of that news media,  is he the writer f book highlighted in his blog so I dare to ask again where did he actually claim any of the accusation written upon him by bad belle Nigerians. The one I'm extremely interested in is the PHD accusation? Where is it? I'll wait for an answer. 

My opinion on why Emeagwali haven't bothered to address accusation upon him is that I highly doubt he cares what Nigerians think of him. Despite this accusation circulating for years by self-proclaimed Nigerian scholars, no one else apart from this group have ever accused him of such hence why bother addressing such people, he grew up in Nigeria, he knows how Nigerians are and what drives Nigerians. As we can see, Nigerian has no saying in the scientific world after all Nigerians having pushing this fraud business for so many years now yet it hasn't penetrated the scientific world beliefs on emeagwali.  People still regard him as one of the founders of the internet, his name is still written in history books, he's still labeled as a black scientist and creator so why should he waste his time addressing irrelevant people?  If I'm him I'll repeat the exact same behavior as he's doing. I won't even bother addressing my accusers especially since everything written by my accusers cannot be backed up by facts,  I'll wait until relevant people start accusing me as well.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Free market ke?

So if I sell accident flood damaged sef -damaged vehicles as brand new or used, that is also "free market?"

Doing that is fraud and will likely get you jailed.

Free market ideology assumes that people aren't selling fake products and marketing them as genuine.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by yarodin: 6:32pm On Dec 14, 2011
So bleeping what if Emeagwali is a fake,  when did Nigeria start rewarding good and punishing bad?  Afterall people like OBJ, IBB, Odili are walking about freely in Nigeria with people heaping praises on them.  Whether Emeagwali is fake or for real that will not stop you people from eating Yoruba.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by CyberG: 7:00pm On Dec 14, 2011
yarodin:

So bleeping what if Emeagwali is a fake,  when did Nigeria start rewarding good and punishing bad?  Afterall people like OBJ, IBB, Odili are walking about freely in Nigeria with people heaping praises on them.  Whether Emeagwali is fake or for real that will not stop you people from eating Yoruba.

So, in your value system, fraud and fakery is legit, okay and a non-issue? I bet you never lived in any other environment except that of Nigeria which breeds roguery, cheats and fraudsters. What is on debate here started far away in an environment different from what obtains in Nigeria. OBJ, IBB, etc never made fraudulent claims like that which has been challenged for Emeagwali, even by folks of his tribe.

By your last comment, you show what your real problem is: ethnic bigotry and tribalism. That does not change that fraud has been committed. I see most tribalists like to use "Yoruba" which is funny because I lived in the eastern part of Nigeria like a lot of other places in Nigeria. The eastern part of Nigeria was one of the places that grew oil palms from which the "ofe" comes from and other progressive countries make a killing in forex exporting the "ofe" you think you are denigrating - BS. So, do you know that your fathers and grandfathers beat their chest growing and selling "ofe", like the groundnuts from the north and cocoa from the west, yet you denigrate the work of your fathers? One more thing, while you think this passes as a slur, how about when someone calls you "ajokutamamumi", which is more of a slur? Yet I don't see people call you that here. In essence, I advise you to forsake your tribalism. It killed many people from before and after Nigerian independence and it makes no sense if you are next to be beheaded - because of tribalism. But hey, it's your choice grin grin
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Afam4eva(m): 7:05pm On Dec 14, 2011
CyberG:

So, in your value system, fraud and fakery is legit, okay and a non-issue? I bet you never lived in any other environment except that of Nigeria which breeds roguery, cheats and fraudsters. What is on debate here started far away in an environment different from what obtains in Nigeria. OBJ, IBB, etc never made fraudulent claims like that which has been challenged for Emeagwali, even by folks of his tribe.

By your last comment, you show what your real problem is: ethnic bigotry and tribalism. That does not change that fraud has been committed. I see most tribalists like to use "Yoruba" which is funny because I lived in the eastern part of Nigeria like a lot of other places in Nigeria. The eastern part of Nigeria was one of the places that grew oil palms from which the "ofe" comes from and other progressive countries make a killing in forex exporting the "ofe" you think you are denigrating - BS. So, do you know that your fathers and grandfathers beat their chest growing and selling "ofe", like the groundnuts from the north and cocoa from the west, yet you denigrate the work of your fathers? One more thing, while you think this passes as a slur, how about when someone calls you "ajokutamamumi", which is more of a slur? Yet I don't see people call you that here. In essence, I advise you to forsake your tribalism. It killed many people from before and after Nigerian independence and it makes no sense if you are next to be beheaded - because of tribalism. But hey, it's your choice grin grin

It still hasn't been established that Emeagwali made any fraudulent claim. Why is it so difficult for you people to provide proof so that this man will be put away forever.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by CyberG: 7:13pm On Dec 14, 2011
^ People can see only what they want to see.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by yarodin: 8:02pm On Dec 14, 2011
Mr or Mrs Cyberg honestly I could careless if you decide to start using a new slur go for it.    Yes as I earlier said you are quick to justify what OBJ, IBB and others are doing, but ready to crucify a man that you consider a fraud.    Ok explain why your fellow Yoruba brethens are bringing up a thread that is almost as old as your forefathers?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by CyberG: 10:20pm On Dec 14, 2011
^ You are so emotional when Philip himself is still alive and hasn't told you he can't speak for himself. Open another thread for IBB, OBJ et al, this one is about Emeagwali. Lay off forefathers you know nothing about, they are not to blame for the fraudulent claims or your curse of ethnic bigotry and tribalism. I don't care for any slurs when even Igbo chicks are enjoying the guys you seek to denigrate. Pffff!
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by yarodin: 11:10pm On Dec 14, 2011
CyberG:

^ You are so emotional when Philip himself is still alive and hasn't told you he can't speak for himself. Open another thread for IBB, OBJ et al, this one is about Emeagwali. Lay off forefathers you know nothing about, they are not to blame for the fraudulent claims or your curse of ethnic bigotry and tribalism. I don't care for any slurs when even Igbo chicks are enjoying the guys you seek to denigrate. Pffff!

So because some Yoruba men dey nack Igbo women una don win?  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, how are you sure I or one of my brethens have not doggyed a female family member of yours, talkless of the countless Yoruba abuna all over?  Yoruba dey nack Igbo, Igbo dey nack Yoruba, God no dey vex abi?
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by obowunmi(m): 12:43am On Dec 15, 2011
Ibo women toto are sweet.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by CyberG: 2:41am On Dec 15, 2011
yarodin:

So because some Yoruba men dey nack Igbo women una don win?  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, how are you sure I or one of my brethens have not doggyed a female family member of yours, talkless of the countless Yoruba abuna  all over?  Yoruba dey nack Igbo, Igbo dey nack Yoruba, God no dey vex abi? 

I knew you would jump on the idea of "knacking" so quick! Typical Naija man! grin tongue. In any case, enjoy whatever girls you like so far as you are not into Desecrating and pedophilia. My sisters will not suffer fools lightly, and tribal bigots at that and in their husband's house so you are shite out of luck! Lay off the bigotry and tribalism and let everyone just get along without introducing race, tribe and ethnic coloration into every issue.
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:02am On Dec 21, 2011
obowunmi:

Na lie joor grin
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 21, 2011
obowunmi:

i will have to find out from freecocoa. grin
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by nonso686: 5:26pm On Jun 05, 2013
P
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Pygru: 6:22pm On Jun 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why don't you post a link to where he made such claim. You tribal scum.
grin grin grin
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Vansnickers: 3:57am On Jul 12, 2013
Good Lord! So this man is a Fraud??!!!
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Garrithe1st: 5:18am On Jul 12, 2013
cheesy
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by lakpalakpa: 12:15am On Jul 13, 2013
Afam4eva:

FOOL. You can't even post a single link to backup your claim. You just jump at any thread that label an IGBO as a criminal like a castrated GOAT. Internet looser.

So this M0R0N actually became a MOD...

Wonders shall end one day...
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 13, 2015
this fraud dey our national stamp o

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by fulanimafia: 7:57am On Jul 10, 2015
shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by SonOfEl(m): 8:32am On Jul 10, 2015
emeagwali is not a fraud, he is still a notable computer scientist and geologist. I just think he overrated his achievements. he has been trimmed to proper size.
his IEEE supercomputing achievement showed how very high his IQ is. but he is not an inventor as he has not received any patent for his works. they are waiting to be patented.

emeagwali's ego was overblown, an award in 1989 in supercomputing does not make one a professor. he made it easy for his detractors to drag him to the mud. however, is still celebrated across the world for his early achievements.

why all these noise about emeagwali? he is not even the most accomplished Igbo scientist in diaspora. patented inventors like Dr Achilefu, Dr Cyprian emeka uzoh, Dr ndubuisi ekekwe, Dr nchekwube, etc have done so much for science and technology, yet remain humble about it.

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Change2015(m): 9:07am On Jul 10, 2015
SonOfEl:
emeagwali is not a fraud, he is still a notable computer scientist and geologist. I just think he overrated his achievements. he has been trimmed to proper size.
his IEEE supercomputing achievement showed how very high his IQ is. but he is not an inventor as he has not received any patent for his works. they are waiting to be patented.

emeagwali's ego was overblown, an award in 1989 in supercomputing does not make one a professor. he made it easy for his detractors to drag him to the mud. however, is still celebrated across the world for his early achievements.

why all these noise about emeagwali? he is not even the most accomplished Igbo scientist in diaspora. patented inventors like Dr Achilefu, Dr Cyprian emeka uzoh, Dr ndubuisi ekekwe, Dr nchekwube, etc have done so much for science and technology, yet remain humble about it.

He is a fraud because he has attempted and succeeded in obtaining benefits by false pretences. His claim to a PhD is fraudulent, his bell prize was relatively minor and was obtained as part of a group, as far as the patent database knows, he has no patent applications awaiting approval. How else do you define fraud, or does tribe matter in that discussion? That he has managed to get away with his chicanery for so long does not make him any less of a fraud.

#change

1 Like

Re: How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 10, 2015
YOruba are devilish, slimy, smelly snakes.

Very jealous back-stabbers.

They are safer as enemies and dangerous as friends.

Never trust one, NEVER!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Chidiogo Akunyili & Andrew David Parr In Nigeria For Wedding (Traditional, White / Bashir El-Rufai Tweets About Tinubu And El-Rufai's Alliance / Udom Lambasts Senator Akpabio, As PDP Mourns Exit Of Senate Minority Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.