Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,356 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School (79333 Views)

Lagos Workers Get 20% Salary Increase, LASG To Implement From January 2023 / Would You Tell Your Spouse Of Salary Increase / 7 Side Hustling You Can Do As A Salary Earner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Nthrone(m): 9:30pm On Oct 23, 2019
alezzy13:

Take to which level kwa? Are you really advising her to report to the Archbishop??

Worst possible decision.

She displayed signs of greed. End of.
That's why I said its too early to raise a dust ( as par her asking for raise in just a week , truth but be told she acted in a rush) but worst still, if the rev sister won sackam make she report, she have nothing to loose, sometimes it's the house you fear that houses the fortune you seek, I am a testimony to that.
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by idonhammer: 9:31pm On Oct 23, 2019
She is jelous of your confidence and smartness. You need to start looking for anoda job ASAP.

Sabaugo:
Am Dying In Silent! What Do I Do?

I got a work in missionary school. The Reverend sister in charge said I will be on probation for 12 months with #45k take home monthly.

As someone who has been at home for months I just accepted the job. After one week in the office, I found out that the work was heavy on me to the extent that I will go home with lots of them to do at home. I went back to her and pleaded if she can add small money to my salary, so she got angry and told me that they will pay me for the one week I worked for, that they don't need my type of person to work with them, that It seems that I like money too much. I cried that day to the extent that I can't open my eyes very well. She later said that she will give me second chance but she will reduce my salary to 42k.

I wrote an apology letter to her and I specifically told her to forgive for the sake of my mother and my son because am a single mother and am the one taking care of them. When I received the alert, I saw truly that she removed the money.

She doesn't respond to my greetings, other privileges she gave to workers," I no dey smell am",she acknowledged other new workers, she did not call my name.. Please I need advice because am just there because I don't have option. Am dying in silence!

Thanks in anticipation
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by abbey621(m): 9:35pm On Oct 23, 2019
I would have let you go on the spot! I don't know why most Nigerians seem to think that a verbal or physical contract is a joke. You agreed to 45k per month yet after only one week you have the balls to ask for a raise. You knew well enough that the money was not sufficient for your lifestyle yet you agreed to the terms, now you're crying on Nairaland looking for strangers to sympathize with you. My friend you made your bed, now SIT DOWN and let us hear word!

4 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by sirhamilton(m): 9:35pm On Oct 23, 2019
Sabaugo:

I got a work in missionary school. The Reverend sister in charge said I will be on probation for 12 months with #45k take home monthly.

As someone who has been at home for months I just accepted the job. After one week in the office, I found out that the work was heavy on me to the extent that I will go home with lots of them to do at home. I went back to her and pleaded if she can add small money to my salary, so she got angry and told me that they will pay me for the one week I worked for, that they don't need my type of person to work with them, that It seems that I like money too much. I cried that day to the extent that I can't open my eyes very well. She later said that she will give me second chance but she will reduce my salary to 42k.

I wrote an apology letter to her and I specifically told her to forgive for the sake of my mother and my son because am a single mother and am the one taking care of them. When I received the alert, I saw truly that she removed the money.

She doesn't respond to my greetings, other privileges she gave to workers," I no dey smell am",she acknowledged other new workers, she did not call my name.. Please I need advice because am just there because I don't have option. Am dying in silence!

Thanks in anticipation
12 months probation?
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by xandy84: 9:35pm On Oct 23, 2019
Very unprofessional. Take the salary and leave it. That is the standard world over...
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 23, 2019
franchasng:
Why would you wake up and go to your employer after one week of employment to ask for pay raise, did you think the employer is your boyfriend that you wake up and ask for money anyhow just because he had sex with you longer than he used to in the past

You need to learn work ethics during this your second chance, thank your stars its a missionary workplace, if not, you would have been back on the market angry angry

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You made me laugh my ass off.

Jesus o, my belly is paining me cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Sabaugo(f): 9:37pm On Oct 23, 2019
mkoabiola:
L
If u are in Lagos...
So sorry to hear this.

I gat a chop of 60K for u.....
Yes am in Lagos
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by donchisel: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2019
Sabaugo:

Thanks in anticipation

I see baptism of fire here. I trust you will get the balance after 12 months

2 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by baratech: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2019
You should have waited at least a month before asking for salary increase na..... If you're the owner of the company, would you like it?

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Colb461: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2019
Despite after apologising to reverend sis.guy let call a spade a spade..
Trueigbo:

You believe her story without hearing from the Rev. She is lucky to still have the job. Do that in a bank or corporate firm .......you know what will happen

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Colb461: 9:39pm On Oct 23, 2019
Despite after apologising to the reverend sis.guy let call a spade a spade.
Trueigbo:

You believe her story without hearing from the Rev. She is lucky to still have the job. Do that in a bank or corporate firm .......you know what will happen
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 23, 2019
sirhamilton:

12 months probation?

They were planning to use her like Rag. They probably never told her the workload.

Who gives a 12 months probation lmao.

She should have known its a toxic workplace and start applying for job while she is working without complaining.

I don't know why people think being a Rev. Sis, Rev Father or Pastors are any better in terms of character. Their job is to be a "Rev Sis" just as we have our own jobs. Their nasty characters still remains.

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by BravoDe: 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2019
Trueigbo:

The Rev is not a hypocrite. How can you get a job in a bank and tell HR to increase salary because you close late just after one week.

People must have adviced her wrongly
Yh, u are right, I'm very sure it's people around her that advised her to ask for an increment.

3 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 23, 2019
7pages:

sis, I Don't know what you want graduate working in factories should say, if you called this workload

people that are jobless like me are ready to even issue 50,000 deposit slip. those that have been jobless like me can relate

just continue doing your work without paying attention to her attitude. I guess she's not giving you face so that you won't bring another complaint. even the new job you might be hoping to get, do you know their conditions and terms?

Sorry bro.. U go get job soon. trust me

2 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Cantonese: 9:48pm On Oct 23, 2019
Sabaugo:

Yes. She did but she did not tell the actual no of students. I issued 4,000 deposit slip to students within that one week. I never expected that.

Your ojukokoro too much. So because you issued 4000 deposit slips you took it that you were being cheated and you needed to change the goal post in the middle of the game. Na people like you dey carry corruption up and down. Given a little opportunity you will embezzle their funds. Sharappppp quickly.

4 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Talkingoil(m): 9:50pm On Oct 23, 2019
[quote author=Sabaugo post=83381286]Am Dying In Silent! What Do I Do?

Thanks in anticipation
[/quot

If you were in her shoes what would you have done? A job that you just started and you're not even up to a month and you're asking for increase? So what advice do you want from this forum
?
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by onyeomanono24(f): 9:51pm On Oct 23, 2019
Goalnaldo:
You, demanding increment after just one week doesn't sound responsible. But Reverend sisters shall, if you can't forgive people, I wonder what part of the Bible, you are reading. If they invigilate you for exam na die.

grin grin grin
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by stagger: 9:52pm On Oct 23, 2019
Asking for salary increase after one week on the job.

You deserve to have been fired on the spot. Crazy!

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by onyeomanono24(f): 9:53pm On Oct 23, 2019
enshi:
pray she doesn't see this post too

Else that's another 10 deduction
grin grin grin make she kuku kee the woman
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 23, 2019
Sabaugo:

Thanks in anticipation

So sorry. But it's good you've learnt firsthand, that anyone who carries God on their head is a bad person.

God lives in everyone of us. Not until we use him to intimidate/enslave our fellow human beings before he manifests in our lives. . . .

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2019
Sabaugo:

Thanks in anticipation

Your own too much!

How could you do such a thing? Abi you no go school? Someone placed you on probation and instead of working hard and being patient and loyal to earn their commendation, you just failed. What do you think probation is? They are still watching if you are good for the job but you've proved otherwise in just a few weeks. You're lucky to have been retained after such unprofessional act. Now you have settled for even lesser amount.
Abeg you fall hand jare. Next time, you won't put the cart before the horse.
For your info, probation runs for a period of six months, so you dont yo back to her after 3months.

2 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by 7pages(m): 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2019
R2bees:
Sorry bro.. U go get job soon. trust me

Amen thanks bro

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by kdon0000: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2019
thelastorca:
please leave the job so a serious person can take it
what an outrageous sense of entitlement

you have not even completed probation and you are demanding more money
you have not added any value to the company, you have not demonstrated in any meaningful way that you are a star worker, and you are demanding extra

have you taken a loot at the favorite workers and figured out what they do and how they do it?

na the woman eff up - she should have sacked you right there and then
you want to know why she is looking at you with bad eye - because she is disappointed and disgusted with you
she sees you and wonders what ridiculous demand you will come with tomorrow
she wonders how they made such an error of judgment during your interview
she wants you to know you are in her bad books ad that you better perform and redeem yourself in her eyes

just know that you have spoilt ground for anyone with a similar background to yours in the future

This is mean.
Do you know why there are so much problems in Nigeria? Because, there are some people who think that they are some kind of God over nothing. She made a request. Did she protested after that. Why so much drama? The woman is welcomed to refuse. Is she not doing her work well?
Everyone cant be d same.I wonder where some people get this kind of mindset from.
Las las. This hustle ehh. We go dey alright.
But know that Karma is real o. People wey dey shout star performer, na dem no dey sabi anything. Anything, you do. Prepare 4 your own.
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by victorian(f): 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2019
abbey621:
I would have let you go on the spot! I don't know why most Nigerians seem to think that a verbal or physical contract is a joke. You agreed to 45k per month yet after only one week you have the balls to ask for a raise. You knew well enough that the money was not sufficient for your lifestyle yet you agreed to the terms, now you're crying on Nairaland looking for strangers to sympathize with you. My friend you made your bed, now SIT DOWN and let us hear word!

She asked for an increase and they deducted 3k out of her money. And she's still whinning

Op , just thank your stars I'm not your boss .

You will be paid for the one week u worked for and laid off my ministry .

I don't have time for lazy youths , who's yet to deliver and still complain for more money immediately after some days work. Especially when certain things have been spelt out at the beginning

Sabaugo, You get luck I swear !

2 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by alezzy13: 10:05pm On Oct 23, 2019
Nthrone:

That's why I said its too early to raise a dust ( as par her asking for raise in just a week , truth but be told she acted in a rush) but worst still, if the rev sister won sackam make she report, she have nothing to loose, sometimes it's the house you fear that houses the fortune you seek, I am a testimony to that.

Well, I largely agree with the bolded, but not sure it wuld apply in this case.

FYI, I worked in mission (hospital) so Im speaking from experience. the truth is, their expectations of staff character is one of charity, selfless service and dedication, hence its no secret such mission organizations dont usually pay too well. so for this new staff to be asking for increase barely a week into her appointment is in direct contrast to what they stand for. I can assure that if this gets to the Archbishop, she will almost certainly be sacked on the spot.

Anyway, the good thing is OP has shown remorse and I'm sure the Sis will come around.

4 Likes

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by SilentRiddles: 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2019
Catholic "Reverend" sisters and so-called "Reverend" fathers - the biggest modern day hypocrites and Pharisees for those who really know. They always put on a fake, angelic facade, but one on one and in private, they are very vindictive and wicked.

They put on public face with fake smiles and forced righteousness. But they're not born again and don't have the righteousness of God. It's not natural. It's forced. So, they live a life of public pretence.

Don't work or live with them privately. You will see their true, ugly colours.

If you were my relation, I'll drag you out of that job and pay you 50K monthly to take care of yourself and your child until you find a job of equal or higher salary.
Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by kdon0000: 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2019
Octopusssy:

She claims to be a Reverend Mother, an epitome of a Christian woman, but she is still bearing grudges to the extent she is ignoring the op's greetings. That is hypocrisy.

Though the OP was wrong, is prematurely asking for a raise a sackable offence?

To your question: NO, I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE WHAT THE REVEREND DID. The staff apologized, didn't she? Even after the salary was reduced, she is still being petty by ignoring the OP's salutations.

Pettiness, hypocrisy and unprofessionalism.

You get full sense

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by deltateam: 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2019
Sabaugo:

Yes. She did but she did not tell the actual no of students. I issued 4,000 deposit slip to students within that one week. I never expected that.

They never truly tell you the full nature of the job. They cajole you somehow to take the job but demanding for increase within 1 week wasn't acceptable either knowing fully well you had no job to fall back on.

Now she deducted your meagre salary. You had to beg meaning you are at her mercy. Just manage for now while looking for another work already.

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by talk2rotman(m): 10:11pm On Oct 23, 2019
7pages:

sis, I Don't know what you want graduate working in factories should say, if you called this workload

people that are jobless like me are ready to even issue 50,000 deposit slip. those that have been jobless like me can relate

just continue doing your work without paying attention to her attitude. I guess she's not giving you face so that you won't bring another complaint. even the new job you might be hoping to get, do you know their conditions and terms?

my brother....when u are at home and very desperate, you can take a job of 20k that is very tedious but believe me, after accepting the job and doing d job for some weeks or months ....you will feel like quitting, u won't feel like u should continue cus that's not your value, that's not what u deserve and that's why u see that people keep getting such job and leaving it eventually cus who will not want to attain the heights his mates are attaining? it's just a matter of time bro...even if u are admiring the job of hers now and they give u that job 2moro....u will still want more....that's a progressive mind...and that's the kind of mind any graduate will have except such graduate know that he only has limited options cus he's not probably sound or intelligent. cus there are lots of graduates who can't even teach primary school pupils....so give such anything...he or she will endure

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by Jokkarm2: 10:11pm On Oct 23, 2019
Start looking for another job. If you get it , just resign and move on .

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by izicooo(f): 10:12pm On Oct 23, 2019
Op, I have alot of experience about your situation, I have worn your shoes before because I have worked with Nativity school (a missionary school) and I have taken my time to read alot of comments on this issue.
Firstly, I see nothing wrong in asking for a pay rise after you have seen the workload and you know your worth, the best that the rev. sister would have done was to reject your request.
Like in nativity where I once worked, they pay us (graduates) back then, based on our bargaining power when coming in. You won't know until you have mingled with other staff with the same qualification. I came in on a 40000 naira monthly pay and within two weeks I discovered that a colleague of mine was been paid 50000 naira, I was so angry with that finding. I had to go back to renegotiate with my madam but she vehemently turned down my offer, I managed the work but after two terms I left because the WORKLOAD NA DIE, itz like a 24hours job, you will sure not have the time to do anyother thing, only their work. When I left they called me to come back for a pay rise, maybe because they have seen my value but I didn't go back.
For her to have deducted your agreed salary is witchcraft/oppression.
You can remain there perhaps for the mean time but be preparing to jump ship, the school also need you, I can tell you that for free.

1 Like

Re: After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School by alezzy13: 10:14pm On Oct 23, 2019
kdon0000:

This is mean.
Do you know why there are so much problems in Nigeria? Because, there are some people who think that they are some kind of God over nothing. She made a request. Did she protested after that. Why so much drama? The woman is welcomed to refuse. Is she not doing her work well?
Everyone cant be d same.I wonder where some people get this kind of mindset from.
Las las. This hustle ehh. We go dey alright.
But know that Karma is real o. People wey dey shout star performer, na dem no dey sabi anything. Anything, you do. Prepare 4 your own.

Guy, lets stop being emotional over such things. Of course, I dont support sacking OP, but you need to consider the impression she has set.

You hire a staff today, and an week later he/she is already asking for a raise. Its enough to get her employer irritated. Personally, I will not sack, but will keep an eye on her.

lets be honest 45k might look small, but consider this is 50% greater than the min wage labour is fighting for, and like I said in a previous comment, I worked for mission, and I know they usually dont pay too well.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Access Bank To Cut Staff Salaries, Retrench 75% Of Workers / Debby Johnson: Nigerian Lady In The US Army (Pics) / Female Soldier 'Who Is Too Pretty' For The Work She Does Speaks (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.