Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Ghana: A Contrary View - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana: A Contrary View (34997 Views)

Billboards Of Nigerian President In Ghana A Security Threat / Boko-Haram: FG Needs Amnesty From Us Not Contrary / Obama Visit To Ghana: A Lesson For Nigerian Office Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by londoner: 6:54pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Gyan Osei, why would any Nigerian be daydreaming over those pics, they are nice but come on, lol

Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by londoner: 7:08pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Mzdarksin, If Nigerians are criminals/arrogant/argumentative etc, why are you here?

Whether you have found out you have roots in Nigeria or not, it is very clear to me that you have a pre-existing dislike/prejudice towards Nigerians.

Dont feel you have to come here if you actually dont like Nigerians, or try to convince yourself or anyone else that you are actually not bias, you are and its clear.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 7:15pm On Nov 20, 2010
Even her statements stipulates her hate for Nigeria spik and span.
She doesn't leave in African to figure out weather Nigeria is a giant of Africa or not. She feeds on comments on here and developed an Anti- Nigeria attitude and she is still lying to herself that she is not.
Go through her posted through her profile and check out any statements she ever made involving Nigeria recently.

Since she had admitted that Jamaicans are criminals what could have made her wanna look at Nigeria in that light in the first instance forgetting that her own country is worse in the acts?
And she loves Nigeria.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by LRNZH(m): 7:24pm On Nov 20, 2010
Wow!

It is mind boggling to see the effort our peeps expend to prove the "mine is better than yours" syndrome when we are comparing rotten apples.

For a sec, stop and think fellow Africans - Nigerians, Ghanaians, South Africans etc etc.

Our boundaries were defined by European colonialists not us.

Look at the ugly pictures everyone has been putting up. Extreme poverty and underdevelopment are a common theme in Africa irrespective of borders.
It feels terrible looking at these horrible pictures.

Lets talk about the issues facing us as Africans and how we can help develop mother Africa (I for one will never give up on this, ) instead of trading bandwiths of insult, arguments and counter-arguments.

Many posts on this thread can be attributed to mental laziness and a general lack of intellectualism. Instead of discussing and disagreeing on specifics of what makes a country "better" than the other in Africa we are openly insulting ourselves.

Would any of you (especially in diaspora) be comfortable to let your kid of 12 years come online and witness our psyche as Nigerians (or Ghanaians) based on the kind of comments we post on NL?

Please my brethren let us up the ante so that our discussions are informative, educative and largely interesting.

I am Nigerian and a proud one at that.

But I am not proud to know that Nigeria has generated about 600 Billion USD of income from crude oil production over time and 350 Billion USD of this is directly linked to looted funds by our leaders. We do not have much to show for all the income we have generated.
We have largely undermined our potentials.
We may or may not be doing better than say Ghana at the moment but with our potential Ghana is even a poor yardstick to compare with in terms of progressive development.

If I were Ghanaian I won't rejoice to be told that we just got "better" than Nigeria.

It is like someone terminally ill with Cancer being compared to an AIDS patient.

Finally, Africa - Nigeria, Ghana, etc etc we are not close to where we should be or would want to see ourselves. That is more important than the lame comparisons we are making.

1 Like

Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by londoner: 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Excoba, the thing is Nigeria was termed and still is termed the "Giant of Africa" because of its population size, now unless there is a new country in Africa with over 140 million people it is still true.

Mzdarkskin is trying her hardest to come across as a neutral just because she is Jamaican, she has a bias and it is glaring. Thats fine, she doesn't have to like Nigerians. One thing is for sure, Jamaican reputation in the Carribean and the rest of the world is on par with Nigerians. For a country as small as it is, its actually worse

@LRNZH, you are right the comparisons are lame, but you know nwhat I'm actually sick of these people coming here talking such crap and expect it to be cool on a Nigerian site, go to Ghanaweb and make a thread showing the slums of Ghana etc see if they wont be compelled to defend their country even if the criticiams have some truth to them, its human nature.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Londoner: You jumped on the bandwagon too late my friend try again. But I will say I came on here BECAUSE i read a post that was slandering Jamaicans and after I vented I became fond of some of the people here as I already see Nigerians as my brothers and sisters despite their animosity towards me for something THEIR ancestors shamefully did to mine. BTW is London in Nigeria? lipsrsealed

excoba101:

I encourage your ability to at least recognized the fact the you are the product of the dumps/trash of Ghana-Nigeria in the Caribbean. But i think you need to learn the fact that just as Nigerians are "dying" to live abroad, people from abroad also are dying to live in Nigeria- The intention of the two groups is what they will stand to gain from the respective countries they are dying to live in.

Everything can not be best judged by logical conclusion, so did you find somewhere in the internet or where you taught in your school that Africa is a puppet in handling power or is it because you were born by an ex slave and you wanna tag you shame on Africa because your "ancestors" are from Africa?

Of what value is Usain Bolt to Africa? What contributions has the declaration of Jamaicans to be from Africa added to it? Can Usain Bolt come and settle the civil war (quoting from your post- i wonder how you got info into that if not on NL) or make a statement that will stand if he could contribute to the affair of Africa?

Nigeria is a giant in Nigeria or in Africa is non of your business. You do not really have any contribution when Africans are discussing,dissin yabin themselves except from a neutral angle, better still you could have made fun of both sides, you as an outsider would sure be bullied if you side any part. You sided Ghana and that is why you are bias. And you can call me Big Bro.

You are just a Lil witty but arrogant girl. The problem you have is that you think know it all forgetting that others had gone before you.

Wow. At first I thought this would be a good way for us to level with each other and have a decent diologue but what you just said to me about my ancestors and us being trash? I cry for you. WOW. I do not even know what to say. If you are truely proud of yourself then to hate you would be a great injustice, instead I pity you for you do not know better. I am disgusted. So many of us were dragged to death, raped, lynched, burned alive, died @ sea, ripped away from our parents at the age at 5 NEVER to see them again, humiliated, beaten, violated and abused and you make a mockery of that? Are you serious? You are scum.
Little boy, I do not know if you have yet to travel outside of Nigeria or live abroad but here in the states my mutallab friend, Africa is ONLY mentioned in textbooks where referring to "garbage/ waste dumps" (I SWEAR), slavery or civil warfare/ famine. Any achievement you are all given credit for is actually followed by the listing of foreign contribution. Not to mention on t.v. THEY talk about European-Asian history with little mention of Africa unless it is about Egypt, CIVIL WAR or the blasted Animals/safari angry. NOTHING about Nigeria unless it is on Vanguard AGAIN talking about civil war, corruption and witch craft. I do not need t.v. or the internet to validate the facts, look at how you are treated on an everyday basis just because of your complexion! I was the "irrelevant" Jamaican girl who was kicked out of my grade 11 class on several occasions for telling my "history teacher" FACTS about Africa when he ignorantly declared "Africa has done NOTHING for you African Americans/ West Indians and therefore you all should not consider yourselves African", and when he declared that his Irish ancestors suffered far greatly than ANY African ever had! I DO NOT NEED YOU or ANYONE on here for that matter to validate how "African" I am because I KNOW I AM.
Of what value is Usain Bolt? Ask the African child who does the "Lightening Bolt pose" across the street from my house every time he sees my car with my flag on it, 'what is the difference between he and Bolt?' You SERIOUS! Do you know why Ghana adopted the "Black Star"? You ever hear of Marcus Mosiah Garvey? Claude McCay? "Nanny of the Maroons"? Jamaicans who defended their blackness, risked their lives and declared "Africa for Africans and death to colonialism? Are you so ignorant to the facts that you do not know that 70 percent of the west indians WHO FOUNDED the Pan-African movement were JAMAICAN? SERIOUSLY? What can Bolt do to end civil war? Blasted fool, YOU CAN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Rather you decide to bully someone because of their nationality and act like a blasted bitch of child!
Again LEARN TO READ! MI A BEG YUH! I said I have LOVE for Ghana and GHANAIANS have WORN their love for us Jamaicans/AAs on their SLEEVES! That is what I said AND I said I want the same love from Naija and for you all to stop bickering. Blasted cuntard is what you are, nothing big or "brotherly" about you. The only thing Giant about Naija is YOUR HEAD.
Why thank you, If that is how you see me then know that I am but a reflection of yourself.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 7:37pm On Nov 20, 2010
@LRNZH

Lets talk like matured brothers. How could you tell that Ghana just got better than Nigeria? In what context actually? Could you please post some links for us to figure out the comparison? Are you refaring to the fact that their currency was upgraded of recent?
What happened to our numerous Nigerian investors in Ghana? what happened to our contrition to their economic growth?
Do you know how hard it is to manage 160m population of Nigeria compared to 20m of Ghana. Do you know how many European countries are below Nigeria's GDP and they are not on the internet washing their dirty linen for the world to see?

Finally, what do you think is the problem in Nigeria really? No infrastructure of poor management? Or bad governance?
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by londoner: 7:44pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Mzdarskin, what whos ancestors did to you? Please, try that one on someone else, did you not say you have ancestry in Ghana too? So why have you not gone to Ghanaweb to lay them to rights for what their ancestors supposedly did to yours?

Answer me that?

If you want the same love from Nigerians, be prepared to show the same "love" for us,
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by LRNZH(m): 7:52pm On Nov 20, 2010
excoba101:

@LRNZH

Lets talk like matured brothers. How could you tell that Ghana just got better than Nigeria? In what context actually? Could you please post some links for us to figure out the comparison? Are you refaring to the fact that their currency was upgraded of recent?
What happened to our numerous Nigerian investors in Ghana? what happened to our contrition to their economic growth?
Do you know how hard it is to manage 160m population of Nigeria compared to 20m of Ghana. Do you know how many European countries are below Nigeria's GDP and they are not on the internet washing their dirty linen for the world to see?

Finally, what do you think is the problem in Nigeria really? No infrastructure of poor management? Or bad governance?

My point is not that Ghana is necessarily doing better than Nigeria in terms of absolute development index (see below info from Wikipedia)
Ideally we shouldn't be comparing.

But if you compare our respective development to our respective potentials (in terms of resource base and population) then you'd see that Nigeria has fared worse.

Nigeria should be compared with Countries like Indonesia, Malaysia , Pakistan and Brazil (to some extent)
Those our our real cohorts in terms of potentials, resource base - population and land mass and roughly political history.

GHANA:
Population
- 2010 estimate 23,837,000[2] (48th)
- Density 99.9/km2 (103rd)
258.8/sq mi
GDP (nominal) 2010 estimate
- Total $31.2 billion[3]
- Per capita $1,318.3

NIGERIA:
Population
- 2009 estimate 158,259,000[2] (8th)
- Density 167.5/km2 (71st)
433.8/sq mi
GDP (PPP) 2009 estimate
- Total $341.572 billion[3]
- Per capita $2,249[3]
GDP (nominal) 2009 estimate
- Total $173.428 billion[3]
- Per capita $1,142[3]

The problem with Nigeria is corruption and nepotism (in a nutshell)! This manifests in bad governance.
We do not have people with the will power to challenge the status quo at the expense of even their lives. We need to demand more from ourselves and our leaders.
This can be expounded upon but I shall stop here my brother.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2010
@ Londoner. Ghanaians know what their ancestors did but they made the effort to make amends by having us and embracing us both in their country and abroad (the States). I was even HUGGED randomly by a Ghanaian classmate one time lol. I can go to a Ghanaian person right now and tell them I am Jamaican and immediately feel the love as they and myself talk about how similar we are, EVERY time. I showed a lot of love to Nigerians and 40 percent showed it back, but for people like you and Esco, *laughs* I am not even interested. If anything I am ridding myself of negativity when I avoid the ones like you, trust me. You two can take your love and hatred for me and hang yourselves.

@Otumfour: Bro. there is no need. Right now I am heartbroken beyond words. If we were in person I'd be in hand cuffs right now for bodily harm and attempted murder. It's like no matter how hard one waves the white flag with them, THEY STILL do not cease to level down a bit! Never. It's amazing. And then to LIE on me saying I dissed Nigerians after all the "love each other" bumboclat posts I put on here and make fun of my ancestors? Yo. Seriously. They left a seriously BAD taste in my mouth. I am DISGUSTED! Jamaica is worse? really? ok. I guess I must have been in space for the last 21 years! You know what it is not even worth it, I am losing my cool. I should have listened to you in the first place and deaded the argument. There are Nigerians who love me and I HUMBLY love them too.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 20, 2010
LRNZH i do not know how you feel about me, but honestly I admire you for your honesty and being fair. Even if you are on the "Anti-MzDarkSkin" bandwagon for you to post that and honestly admit the flaws of your country I respect that. That's real. Nigeria, Africa and all black nations the world over need to focus on how to uplift and compete economically before we bicker about who is superior. That is also VERY real. If I am anti-Nigeria for believing in that, then kill me dead. I shall be a martyr.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2010
My point is not that Ghana is necessarily doing better than Nigeria in terms of absolute development index (see below info from Wikipedia)

But if you compare our respective development to our respective potentials (in terms of resource base and population) then you'd see that Nigeria has fared worse.

Nigeria should be compared with Countries like Indonesia, Malaysia , Pakistan and Brazil (to some extent)
Those our our real cohorts in terms of potentials, resource base - population and land mass and roughly political history.

GHANA:
Population
-    2010 estimate   23,837,000[2] (48th)
-    Density   99.9/km2 (103rd)
258.8/sq mi
GDP (nominal)   2010 estimate
-    Total   $31.2 billion[3]
-    Per capita   $1,318.3

NIGERIA:
Population
-    2009 estimate   158,259,000[2] (8th)
-    Density   167.5/km2 (71st)
433.8/sq mi
GDP (PPP)   2009 estimate
-    Total   $341.572 billion[3]
-    Per capita   $2,249[3]
GDP (nominal)   2009 estimate
-    Total   $173.428 billion[3]
-    Per capita   $1,142[3]

The problem with Nigeria is corruption and nepotism (in a nutshell)!
We do not have people with the will power to challenge the status quo at the expense of even their lives. We need to demand more from ourselves and our leaders.
This can be expounded upon but I shall stop here my brother.

Malaysia's population is the same with Ghana's population. And at the moment i live in Malaysia where they have made life a bit easier with technology. This means they are doing better than Ghana.
And again i do not think that population has anything to do with this because a country like China clocking more than a billion is doing fine.
Don't you think something is wrong somewhere along the line?
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by londoner: 8:08pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Mzdarkskin, lol, I neither love or hate you, I dont know you, lol

The Jamaican people I do know, they are like my sisters, I grew up with them, when there is any family gathering they are there as members just like any other family member. They have even spent Christmas with us.

So, if you want jump the gun and act as if you know the kind of person I am, go ahead because you are making a big fool of yourself.

Go to Ghanaweb, there is a Carribean poster there called Bajan, you think anything anyone here has said to you is bad, go and see how they mock slavery to him at every chance. I have not seen anyone here do that to anyone not least you.

There is one thing you should know, no person living now owes you anything, for something which happened many years before our birth. There are many African Americans/Jamaicans who have been embraced in Nigeria once they find their roots there, why not research it rather than coming with this attitude like you know what every Nigerian thinks of you. My assessment here was purely because of what you wrote in this thread not some flimsy thing like your nationality.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 20, 2010
^*white man calls black woman a "nigger", someone records it and it is exposed. White says 'I am not racist I have had SEVERAL blacks at my house'* Please. You are right we do not know each other so, it is what it is. And any Ghanaian who makes fun of that Bajan is just as pathetic and sorry as yourself and Ex. bottom line. Any day I encounter one GH like that, they will get the same treatment from me. For someone who is Nigeria-centered you sure know an awful lot about Ghanaweb. Just disappear. I am done with you two.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by LRNZH(m): 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Escoba101

Good point.

Maybe Ghana should be compared with Malaysia while Nigeria is looked at from Indonesia's perspective.

But it is clear that most African countries overall do worse than their counterparts if you make such comparisons and that is my point.
"Why are we carrying last?"

IMO population matters. The larger the more challenging but with a higher potential if managed well.

Think about all the outsourcing of jobs by major corporations in the US and the rest of the developed world to less developed countries in Asia and South America.
With a large population like Nigeria's that is a huge opportunity to create a lot of employment (and hence wealth).
A large population means larger market, cheaper labour and more wealth creation. But we do not have even the basic infrastructure to enable entrepreneurs set up this kind of firms.

Nigeria is one of the most blessed country in the world. Very enterprising people, natural resource, very arable land mass and strategic position in West Africa.
If we think about where we could have been now then you'd see why I insist that we have fared badly.

Btw @Londoner,
Those Abuja pics are lovely!
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by londoner: 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Mz darkskin you sure are irrational arent you.

Do some research before you claim you know how AA's and Carribeans are embraced by Nigerians.

Have you not heard of the Ebo landing? Have you not heard about how Brazilians are readily embraced in Nigeria or do they not count because they are not jamaican or African American?

You are simply in a pity party for yourself over something which happened a very long time ago, the people who actually did go through the turture and pain (as in the Ebo landing ARE honored.), what did you go though? Nothing, thats what. Yet you have the cheek to expect pity for THEIR suffering, trust me you do a great dishonor to them as you do so.

So show some humility to their memory at least.

I can judge on you on your sentiments here, so can you, all my previous posts are here, I challenge you to find any thing anti-Carribean/  African American or Jamaican from anything I have ever wrote, especially on this very thread.

Its easy cut and paste, you will come up looking like the irrational paranoid individual you are.

Go on, cut and paste, lol
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2010
@LRNZH
I could bud a fairy and within hours i am in Indonesia from here(Malaysia)?
Over here and other parts of Asian people who are maid are usually from Indonesia and Filipines in larger mass. Maybe we should rather compare Nigeria to Brazil.

Asia gained technology from the west as we have read. China for instance got independence but Hong Kong remained under the British rule for a while till the 90s, within this period Britain could have made HK another UK from home in education, technology.

The White Americans we know today are actually Europeans mainly British*** Do you buy that?

We also should notice the prosperity of countries that either has white indigenes or a large numbers of white investor.eg SA and Asian Countries
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by LRNZH(m): 8:45pm On Nov 20, 2010
excoba101:

@LRNZH
I could bud a fairy and within hours i am in Indonesia from here(Malaysia)?
Over here and other parts of Asian people who are maid are usually from Indonesia and Filipines in larger mass. Maybe we should rather compare Nigeria to Brazil.

Asia gained technology from the west as we have read. China for instance got independence but Hong Kong remained under the British rule for a while till the 90s, within this period Britain could have made HK another UK from home in education, technology.

The White Americans we know today are actually Europeans mainly British*** Do you buy that?

We also should notice the prosperity of countries that either has white indigenes or a large numbers of white investor.eg SA and Asian Countries

Nice point!

I believe Indonesia is still ahead of Nigeria in development index. You can check wiki for some insight.

Think about that this. Why would a Briton put his energy into transforming HK into UK if he is not going to gain from it.
That said, Hong Kong is quite developed! That is some credit to the Brits.

We owe ourselves the responsibility to turn Africa into what we dream. But "chop I chop" and "siddon look" are the worst forms of the lack of patriotism because their effects are felt by even babies yet to be borne.

Wether there's a conspiracy related to race and development is another issue entirely. But let's make our own effort to improve our people/countries lot first.

Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by PhysicsQED(m): 8:46pm On Nov 20, 2010
I don't know why this MzDarkSkin is pretending she's neutral. She literally hasn't stopped insulting Nigeria and Nigerians since she started posting here. It actually kind of annoys me that people give her the time of day on ANY threads since she literally knows next to nothing about Nigeria beyond what she can google or wikipedia or scavenge from Nairaland. Most of the animosity towards Nigerians from either Jamaicans or African Americans when Nigerians are in countries besides their own almost always originates from Jamaicans and AA's brash ignorance and inexplicable inclination to brainless thuggery or idiotic "you sold me into slavery" crap, or blatant anti-African sentiments and constant insults and mockery of everything from names to appearance to whatever else they can come up with. Nigerians only talk about Jamaicans when they're in the UK where the behavior of these Jamaicans there is clear to see for anybody with a brain to assess it and see whether they actually want to associate with such people. In the end it doesn't matter though because Nigerians will just go on achieving, while those other two groups continue to embarrass blacks far worse than any Nigerian scam could through underachievement across a whole range of areas and with mindless thuggish behavior (with a much much larger percentage of them behaving this way than Nigerians, no matter what they want to believe).

The Ghana-Nigeria rivalry is pretty ugly and rather annoying, considering the pointlessness of it all so I usually stay out of these silly debates, but it annoys the hell out of me when somebody who literally joined the site to put down Nigerians (like MANY of the Ghanian posters here) comes in and pretends to be a neutral because she has some other nationality.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2010
Na small pikin dey worry that girl. Leave her alone or else she go insult you too. She make some point about 70% of Jamaicans forming PAN AFRICA. I really think there should be age restriction on NL sections sometimes.

Just imagine a rat insulting someone old enough to be her father for instance and proving that she knows it all.
Should i be debating with a man of 70 years about about certain things he witnessed with his eyes just because i was told or i read it not be fooling myself?

I have monitored her post how she has been very rude when replying to people.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2010
This nairaland is pretty much sad, a projection of how jealous and competitive Nigerians themselves are.
I've met a lot of Ghanaians, they're one of the smartest, nicest, well represented group of people I've been honored to come across. And I have met a lot!
Anytime I come across a Ghanaian, I playfully ask about the rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana, and the same answer usually pops up; "There is no rivalry, we're brothers". And it usually surprises me that I come on NL and read something else. Ghanaians loff almost everything about Nigeria, esp our movies and they proudly call us one of the smartest groups of Africans.

I, myself, try to see the hate the Ghanaians have for Nigeria. Apart from the movie industry, I've yet to see any.

Nigerians can be a group of messed up people, I swear. You people just loff to hate, you project your feelings unto other people.
If you do not hate yourselves, you'll hate others. Stick to the tribal hate, it does you more justice.
Jesus! Never met people that love to hate like a fat kid loves BK.
Your movie industry is crap crap crappy, yet you think yours is still better than Gollywood. Better in what sense?
Your politicians are outstandingly corrupt, yet you think you're still better than Ghana.
You complain daily about Nigeria's condition, yet Nigeria is still better than Ghana.
Your politicians messes you up by mixing tribe/region/religion into politics, yet you're still better than Ghana.

I could go on and on. . . . point is, address your own issue and worry not what goes on on a Ghanaian website.
Quit posting bad Ghana pictures because you know what? They look exactly like somewhere in Nigeria.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 9:02pm On Nov 20, 2010
Nice point!

I believe Indonesia is still ahead of Nigeria in development index. You can check wiki for some insight.

Think about that this. Why would a Briton put his energy into transforming HK into UK if he is not going to gain from it.
That said, Hong Kong is quite developed! That is some credit to the Brits.

We owe ourselves the responsibility to turn Africa into what we dream. But "chop I chop" and "siddon look" is the worst forms of the lack of patriotism because their effects are felt by even babies yet to be borne.

I say all credit be given to Britain for Hong Kong's glory. What these prosperous Asian countries closely and you find find out that they are very welcoming to the white unlike the western Africa.

Look at Zimbabwe, Botswana which are no match for Nigeria but they have good structures and if posting picture were the yardstick they would also come up among top 10.

Recently it was declared that Nigeria has emerge as second economic power in Africa. How did we got their?
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by PhysicsQED(m): 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

This nairaland is pretty much sad, a projection of how jealous and competitive Nigerians themselves are.
I've met a lot of Ghanaians, they're one of the smartest, nicest, well represented group of people I've been honored to come across. And I have met a lot!
Anytime I come across a Ghanaian, I playfully ask about the rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana, and the same answer usually pops up; "There is no rivalry, we're brothers". And it usually surprises me that I come on NL and read something else. Ghanaians loff almost everything about Nigeria, esp our movies and they proudly call us one of the smartest groups of Africans.

I, myself, try to see the hate the Ghanaians have for Nigeria. Apart from the movie industry, I've yet to see any.

Nigerians can be a group of messed up people, I swear. You people just loff to hate, you project your feelings unto other people.
If you do not hate yourselves, you'll hate others. Stick to the tribal hate, it does you more justice.
Jesus! Never met people that love to hate like a fat kid loves BK.
Your movie industry is crap crap crappy, yet you think yours is still better than Gollywood. Better in what sense?
Your politicians are outstandingly corrupt, yet you think you're still better than Ghana.
You complain daily about Nigeria's condition, yet Nigeria is still better than Ghana.
Your politicians messes you up by mixing tribe/region/religion into politics, yet you're still better than Ghana.

I could go on and on. . . . point is, address your own issue and worry not what goes on on a Ghanaian website.
Quit posting bad Ghana pictures because you know what? They look exactly like somewhere in Nigeria.

This is why the Nigeria-Ghana rivalry annoys me. I've yet to have any negative experiences with Ghanians in real life, but I come on the internet and see anti-Nigeria stuff spewed constantly by Ghanians and anti-Ghana stuff spewed constantly by Nigerians. I can't say the same about AA's and Jamaicans though. That stuff carries over in real life.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 9:11pm On Nov 20, 2010
This is why the Nigeria-Ghana rivalry annoys me. I've yet to have any negative experiences with Ghanians in real life, but I come on the internet and see anti-Nigeria stuff spewed constantly by Ghanians and anti-Ghana stuff spewed constantly by Nigerians. I can't say the same about AA's and Jamaicans though. That stuff carries over in real life.

Brother one of my mother's best friends is a Ghanaian. I never visited Ghana till i was invited by them*** She works with my mum in the same firm. There are many Ghanaian in Nigeria and we don't even know they are Ghanaian we see them as Nigerians until they tell us and the moment we know we treat them more carefully and softly.

This is internet and that was what i was trying to tell the outsider. She doesn't know a chit about Nigeria and Ghana so she should sit back and watch the film and make fun instead unleashing hatred on one side.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2010
PhysicsQED:

I know. I love meeting Ghanaians because I know that they're dependable, reliable, friendly, trustworthy, etc. Most of them that I've met are still in contact with me.  Just too smart and outstanding.

Nigerians just have these useless, unnecessary ego. They love to hate, disgusting!
Seun seriously needs to think on his "Giant of Africa" caption, it needs to be removed ASAP!.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by LRNZH(m): 9:16pm On Nov 20, 2010
excoba101:

I say all credit be given to Britain for Hong Kong's glory. What these prosperous Asian countries closely and you find find out that they are very welcoming to the white unlike the western Africa.

Look at Zimbabwe, Botswana which are no match for Nigeria but they have good structures and if posting picture were the yardstick they would also come up among top 10.

Recently it was declared that Nigeria has emerge as second economic power in Africa. How did we got their?
By that Nigeria is actually third.
GDP (nominal) of top 20 African countries:

Rank   Country 2008 (billion USD)     2009 est. (billion USD)

World         60,917.477 57,228.373
Africa         1,282.373 1,184.891
1 South Africa 276.764 277.379
2 Egypt        262.617 187.956
3 Nigeria        207.116 165.437
4 Algeria        159.669 134.797
5 Morocco        88.879 90.775
6 Angola        84.945 69.708
7 Libya        59.688 60.159
8 Sudan        58.029 54.294
9 Tunisia        40.843 39.573
10 Kenya        29.564 30.212
11 Ethiopia        26.393 33.920
12 Cameroon 23.732 21.820
13 Côte d'Ivoire 23.508 22.909
14 Tanzania        20.668 22.159
15 Equatorial Guinea 18.525 11.175
16 Ghana        16.654 14.761
17 Zambia        14.654 13.000
18 Uganda        14.565 15.658
19 Gabon        14.535 10.936
20 Botswana        13.461 10.808

But we rank a lot worse in per capita income

Countries by GDP per person, converted to US dollar through estimated IMF exchange rates.
Rank Country GDP - per capita (USD) 2008 Estimation of 2009
1 Equatorial Guinea 14,941 8,759
2 Libya                14,479 9,570
3 Gabon                9,998 7,414
4 Seychelles        9,640 7,683
5 Botswana                7,554 5,995
6 Mauritius                6,872 7,146
7 South Africa        5,685 5,635
8 Angola                5,054 4,027
9 Algeria                4,588 3,816
10 Namibia                4,278 4,341
11 Tunisia                3,995 3,794
12 Cape Verde        3,464 3,419
13 Republic of the Congo 2,952 2,298
14 Morocco                2,827 2,847
15 Swaziland                2,778 2,854
16 Egypt                2,162 2,450
17 Sudan                1,522 1,388
18 Nigeria                1,401 1,089
19 Djibouti                1,252 1,354
20 Zambia                1,248 1,027
21 Cameroon        1,224 1,095
22 Côte d'Ivoire        1,132 1,071
23 São Tomé and Príncipe 1,094 1,160
24 Senegal                1,066 984
25 Mauritania        1,042 1,044
26 Chad                863 699
27 Kenya                838 842
28 Benin                828 765
29 Comoros                816 788
30 Ghana                739 639

It means we create the third highest value of in house wealth (GDP) on the continent but due to our large population it isn't a lot per person (per capita income).

With our large population we can create a lot more wealth, not to talk about our vast arable land mass and huge natural resources.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2010
@LRNZH

What year was that? I am talking about the current figures.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 9:25pm On Nov 20, 2010
@Ileke-IdI

There was a topic about Ghana on a Nigerian board posted by someone living in Ghana or a Ghanaian.People must certainly respond.
You are intercepting here on Ghana's favor while you in another board talk derogatory words about Hausa in your own Country. How patriotic are you?
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by LRNZH(m): 9:30pm On Nov 20, 2010
excoba101:

@LRNZH

What year was that? I am talking about the current figures.

These are 2008 & 2009 figures. 2010 figures I've seen so far are estimates.
How about if you post your information or the source of it?
grin wink
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by excoba101: 9:35pm On Nov 20, 2010
I will get you the link when i find it again. smiley
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 20, 2010
excoba101:

@Ileke-IdI

There was a topic about Ghana on a Nigerian board posted by someone living in Ghana or a Ghanaian.People must certainly respond.
You are intercepting here on Ghana's favor while you in another board talk derogatory words about Hausa in your own Country. How patriotic are you?

I love Nigeria. Telling the truth does not make me more/less patriotic.
And I've spoken my mind about a lot of matter regarding Nigeria, including the Northerners.
Does it make me less patriotic to say it's unfair for a country to have laws separating it's regions, to despise unnecessary killings because of religion etc etc? Well then, I guess.
Re: Ghana: A Contrary View by honeric01(m): 9:42pm On Nov 20, 2010
excoba101:

@Ileke-IdI

She's not a Nigerian, rather she's an "Ekitian" grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Miyetti Allah Dumps Open Grazing, Adopts Feedlot System In Ondo / Oby Ezekwesili Writes On Magu's Disqualification As EFCC Chairman / Zamfara Gives 'Repentant' Bandits Hilux Vehicles, Millions Of Naira - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.