Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,433 members, 7,812,285 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Am I Making A Mistake? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Am I Making A Mistake? (91591 Views)

Am I Not Making A Mistake? / I May Ruin My Girlfriend's Life, If I Make A Mistake / Once Is A Mistake,Twice Is A Habbit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 16, 2019
I opened a new account to remain anonymous.
This story is a bit long but pls bear with me.

I met this man almost 2yrs ago at an event a friend invited me to. The next week, he collected my number from my friend and called me, we began talking from there and agreed to go on a date. He proposed marriage to me on the first date which I rejected. I told him that I can't marry outside my church and from the little I've heard from him, our life dreams differ. I decided to cut him off from that day and I stayed away for about 3months. Meanwhile he got my friend to introduce him to my sis, mum and another friend who happened to be from his place, I'll call her Grace.
He made them all aware of his intent towards me and my stand and asked for their help to change my mind. Grace became his biggest ally and convinced me to have another date. He asked that we date for a while and see if we can work out our differences. During the date I noticed he has a very hot and quick temper and he listens to gossip a lot so I do tell Gracethat I don't see a future with him but he was too persistent, Grace always had words of encouragement and considering the fact that for some strange reason, it was mainly married men always approach me for a relationship with stories of how they got married to a wrong woman and they are or are almost divorced, dating a single man with no kids was very tempting and I decided to give it a try.

He asked me to tell him everything about me so there are no secrets between us and I did. Starting from secondary school to that day, I told him everything, from my first kiss, the colleague who tried to rape me, my ex who lied about his marital status and disvirgined me etc. he did the same too and I felt a burden roll off my shoulder.

Few days later I began to notice changes in him especially towards my business. I thrive in a male dominated industry in a ratio of 9men to 1woman. He asked me to show him the pictures of my colleagues which I did, he also asked if they make passes at me which I said is almost inevitable but my boundaries are clear and rigid.

Fast forward to now. I noticed that whenever I drop my phone, he goes through it. Facebook, sms, WhatsApp etc. He even picks my call when I'm not close to the phone. He asked me about a certain colleague who cracks dirty jokes like how I rushed to get married (I told him I'm already married). I didn't think much about it.

He later began to complain about my partners and how I'm sleeping with them like the prostitute I am, called me an unrepentant liar, unsubmisive, manipulating etc. Said he regrets asking for my hand at all and he's just waiting forthe day he'll catch me redhanded so he can dump my sorry a*s.
I told him to end it now cus I'm fed up, family came in and I later found out that Grace has been telling a lot of lies against hoping to get him for herself as well as hate filled advises from some aggrieved friends who felt ladies from my tribe are no good and just there to "chop money". Apologies were said and received and we continued.

Another time I visited him and we had an argument, he gave me several heavy knocks on my head and I developed a headache and began to insult him which resultedin more heavy knocks. I broke up with him and left. Later my mum called him to ask why he laid his hands on me, he denied it swearing with his life. Said I insulted him and he lost his temper and insulted me back that he's sorry. He began to drop messages everywhere and I eventually gave in.

3rd incident happened on our way back from an event. He saw a message from a colleague he told me to stop doing business with cus he feels the man has his eyes on me which is totally not true. He flared up, stopped the car and was even threatening to beat me up. I came down from his car and stood by the roadside. He came down too and gave me the insult of my life in full public view and glare and told me to enter the car which I refused. I had no money on me and had to beg a stranger for money. By that time he was coming back, he quickly took a picture of both of us and sent it to everybody of how he caught me in the act with my lover on the road. He called me and said that if he must marry me, I must break my business sim card and look for a wife friendly occupation or sit at home.

He later apologised over it. Meanwhile he and my sis don't flow as before as he once called her a prostitute.

I want to call it quits but everyone around me feels it's a mistake and he is saying everything out of anger and if I'm patient enough, he will change completely.

I must admit that he has changed alot since we met but the progress compared to the timeframe and the heat I face everyday is nothing to write home about.

He loves me to a fault and I don't know if I can find someone who loves me like him but his other attitude is sniffing life out of me. Do I stay or quit?
Thanks for reading and pardon any typos

126 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by okirewaju(f): 11:34am On Dec 16, 2019
If I were you, I'll take off the current footwear I'm putting on and flee

A man that has verbal diarrhea is a turn off plus a woman beater and still insecure undecided

They will keep edging you until you fall into that pit. There is a difference between Wedding Ceremony and the Marriage itself.

You deserve so much better. Don't settle for less

1248 Likes 69 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by bukatyne(f): 11:39am On Dec 16, 2019
dannyla:

I met this man almost 2yrs ago at an event a friend invited me to. The next week, he collected my number from my friend and called me, we began talking from there and agreed to go on a date. He proposed marriage to me on the first date which I rejected. I told him that I can't marry outside my church and from the little I've heard from him, our life dreams differ. I decided to cut him off from that day and I stayed away for about 3months. Meanwhile he got my friend to introduce him to my sis, mum and another friend who happened to be from his place, I'll call her Grace.
He made them all aware of his intent towards me and my stand and asked for their help to change my mind. Grace became his biggest ally and convinced me to have another date. He asked that we date for a while and see if we can work out our differences. During the date I noticed he has a very hot and quick temper and he listens to gossip a lot so I do tell Gracethat I don't see a future with him but he was too persistent, Grace always had words of encouragement and considering the fact that for some strange reason, it was mainly married men always approach me for a relationship with stories of how they got married to a wrong woman and they are or are almost divorced, dating a single man with no kids was very tempting and I decided to give it a try.

He asked me to tell him everything about me so there are no secrets between us and I did. Starting from secondary school to that day, I told him everything, from my first kiss, the colleague who tried to rape me, my ex who lied about his marital status and disvirgined me etc. he did the same too and I felt a burden roll off my shoulder.

Few days later I began to notice changes in him especially towards my business. I thrive in a male dominated industry in a ratio of 9men to 1woman. He asked me to show him the pictures of my colleagues which I did, he also asked if they make passes at me which I said is almost inevitable but my boundaries are clear and rigid.

Fast forward to now. I noticed that whenever I drop my phone, he goes through it. Facebook, sms, WhatsApp etc. He even picks my call when I'm not close to the phone. He asked me about a certain colleague who cracks dirty jokes like how I rushed to get married (I told him I'm already married). I didn't think much about it.

He later began to complain about my partners and how I'm sleeping with them like the prostitute I am, called me an unrepentant liar, unsubmisive, manipulating etc. Said he regrets asking for my hand at all and he's just waiting forthe day he'll catch me redhanded so he can dump my sorry a*s.
I told him to end it now cus I'm fed up, family came in and I later found out that Grace has been telling a lot of lies against hoping to get him for herself as well as hate filled advises from some aggrieved friends who felt ladies from my tribe are no good and just there to "chop money". Apologies were said and received and we continued.

Another time I visited him and we had an argument, he gave me several heavy knocks on my head and I developed a headache and began to insult him which resultedin more heavy knocks. I broke up with him and left. Later my mum called him to ask why he laid his hands on me, he denied it swearing with his life. Said I insulted him and he lost his temper and insulted me back that he's sorry. He began to drop messages everywhere and I eventually gave in.

3rd incident happened on our way back from an event. He saw a message from a colleague he told me to stop doing business with cus he feels the man has his eyes on me which is totally not true. He flared up, stopped the car and was even threatening to beat me up. I came down from his car and stood by the roadside. He came down too and gave me the insult of my life in full public view and glare and told me to enter the car which I refused. I had no money on me and had to beg a stranger for money. By that time he was coming back, he quickly took a picture of both of us and sent it to everybody of how he caught me in the act with my lover on the road. He called me and said that if he must marry me, I must break my business sim card and look for a wife friendly occupation or sit at home.

He later apologised over it. Meanwhile he and my sis don't flow as before as he once called her a prostitute.

I want to call it quits but everyone around me feels it's a mistake and he is saying everything out of anger and if I'm patient enough, he will change completely.

I must admit that he has changed alot since we met but the progress compared to the timeframe and the heat I face everyday is nothing to write home about.

He loves me to a fault and I don't know if I can find someone who loves me like him but his other attitude is sniffing life out of me. Do I stay or quit?

What is your definition of love?

The question is do you love yourself?

653 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 11:40am On Dec 16, 2019
shocked This is too much, but who am I to Judge...
This is just 'pre-wedding treatment'; how will 'after wedding treatment' now be, so u shouldn't interact with other males or what...Jealous people can do weird stuffs sha and he is already showing signs of a jealous 'husband to be'....
Make he no go put u under house arrest in the end grin

377 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by TheGreatIYANU: 11:52am On Dec 16, 2019
dannyla:
This story is a bit long but pls bear with me..

My dear, RUN!

484 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by babythug(f): 11:59am On Dec 16, 2019
They say we ask for advice when we know what to do but just need a nudge in the right direction!

You already know it’ll be a lifetime of misery if you end up with this fellow. The people asking you to stay are dishonest and wicked or perhaps trapped with the “we must marry” syndrome!

Run for your life! We don’t even care what you’ve done or not done to deserve or provoke this man’s anger just RUN....

420 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 16, 2019
People will see danger and they will still be standing there instead of running for their dear life.

You will not be the first person or the last that will die because of domestic and emotional violence.... You will just be part of the statistics

Which kind of yeye love that is blinding your eyes and brain not to see that you are in danger

312 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 16, 2019
That's a wrong, dangerous kind of love. A faulty, possessive, insecure love. The type psychos have for their victims that could make them even kill you because 'they loved you so much they couldn't stand seeing you with someone else'

Real love is not faulty. It doesn't give you a bad feeling or bad experience.

'What people say'. You and you alone will bear the consequences of your choices and decisions, not people. Whether you choose to stay with him or leave is entirely up to you.

292 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by poshestmina(f): 12:21pm On Dec 16, 2019
Those are signs of a narcissist.
Manipulative, controlling souls.

I personally can't stand people who do wrong and turn around to play the victim angry angry

He already called your sister a prostitute? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Wait till when he beats up your mum undecided.

381 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 12:41pm On Dec 16, 2019
He go soon kill you. And *everyone around u that feels it's a mistake for u to quit go blame u on your burial day.

Stop packaging bullsh1t in the name of people around u or what they gonna say

dannyla:

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by jenifer007: 12:43pm On Dec 16, 2019
Madam run for your life....the man is a time bomb waiting to explode

126 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Fountainofyouth(f): 1:06pm On Dec 16, 2019
You came here telling us all his faults, do you expect us to say you should continue to be with him? Is the public embarrassment, insults and several knocks on the head not enough for you to know that you will be a punching bag when he marries you? What advice do you really want exactly?

212 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by mikeywise(m): 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2019
why will a man knock a grown up woman repeatedly on the head? Run for your life now that you can.

146 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by fertilewomb: 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2019
Remove your shoe and run away from that toxic man. You are dealing with a narcissist, he will never change, he will get even worst after marriage.

RUN.

103 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Triniti(m): 2:12pm On Dec 16, 2019
It’s going to end in tears sis, don’t embark on this journey. Both of you are not compatible, you need to let him go. Stop pressuring yourself, you will definitely meet someone that will love you more than you can ever imagine.

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2019
I have come to notice that most times when human beings fall in love, we lose our willpower. People mistake it for sense - meaning we lose our sense but it's not true in many cases.

The person who is in love can actually have His sense intact and functioning and in every event, he knows the right thing to do... But he just doesn't do it because he has lost his willpower and his resolve has become weak so he runs around seeking advice from people so that their comments can serve as a sort of motivation to carry on with what he already thinks or knows he should do.

Secondly, you were saying he loves you to a fault. I don't want to dispute that. But I want you to know that "love" is not the only thing to be considered when choosing a spouse. You must not - I repeat - you must not marry someone JUST because he loves you. Love is not the only thing that guarantees happiness in a marriage.

There are more important things to be considered.

Do you really think those husbands that send their wives to the hospital after beating them thoroughly do not love their wives? in fact, they sometimes do that due to extreme love and protective jealousy for their wives?

Do you think all those men who womanize and cheat on their wives do not love their wives? In fact, in many cases, they do love their wives and give her all respect and love she deserves and would never allow any man come near her. Yet, they are serious cheats!!!

You are going to live with the character of your man and the character of your man is one of the major factors that will determine if he will make a good husband, father, in law to your people and if he will make a good "head of the family".

So cancel out that idea that "he loves me to a fault" if you think that that's enough for you to give in to him.

It's better for you to marry someone who loves you averagely and he treats you like the "queen" you are than get married to someone who "loves you to a fault" and he treats you like you are "serving a sentence as a prisoner" in his house.

Then thirdly, I want you to know that, that man has serious issues and if I were you, I will flee from entering into a marriage with such a person.

Please open your mind - that guy is going to cage you. He's probably going to make your life miserable.

- He has anger issues.
- He has trust issues
- He is uncultured (calling your sister a prostitute and hurling insults at you)
- He is a wife beater
- he jumps to stupid conclusions hastily (calling you a prostitute and going to the extent of taking your pictures)
- He checks your phone and wrongly accuses you of different things
- His jealousy is overboard

Believe me, A man who has all the above will probably make life miserable for you.

He may be the kind of man that will make you sit at home and cut you off the world. Then he maltreats you and doesn't take care of you, making you age faster and weaker as time goes on. Then he will be giving outsiders the impression that he is taking care of you and when you try to complain, they listen to him and not you.

And when you now start looking miserable, he ends up cheating on you with more beautiful girls out there while he leaves you at home to your misery.

There are men like this out there - that guy may be one.

So I advise you to flee from him. Do not listen to anyone. Don't let anyone pressure you into accepting him. They are not the ones to bear the pain and when you die and they get to know the true story, they will still blame you for accepting him.

That's life!

Then, please, do not also think low of yourself and pressure yourself into accepting him just because single men are not coming or because of your age.

Marrisge is a beAutiful thing but that's only when it's with the right person.

Being happily single is better than being miserably married

If you listen to the stories of many married women out there, you will thank your Lord and consider your single status a blessing, thanking God for saving you from what those married women have experienced.

I don't know your age but I think you are probably "not too old" yet.

Please, think positively of your God, yourself and aim for good.

Leave that man and after you have done that, pray to your Lord to bring you a good man you can settle down with.

And while you are still waiting, please be patient and understand that our major purpose on earth is to serve God. That's the major and true success.

Being single doesn't mean that you are a failure, don't let society pressure you into believing that.

The one who is married doesn't necessarily have more superiority in the eyes of God than the single one. The level of superiority is measured by how much you are close to God, how much of righteousness you achieve on earth and how much you do things that matter to the whole world - things that affect people positively.

Being single may turn out to be a blessing on its own. I know some people who went to very great heights of which it would have been difficult to achieve if they got married. What matters is your happiness, your wellbeing and how much your Creator is pleased with you.

So pray to your Lord and hope for good and be positive that he will send you a good man. But while you are waiting, try to do other meaningful things in your life that will bring you happiness.

Don't settle for a bad man who will make your life miserable.

May God soften your heart and grant you your desires.

dannyla

320 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by thorpido(m): 3:23pm On Dec 16, 2019
Op,where do you stay?I need to beat you join too(Na joke o).

On a serious note,do you need anyone to tell you this relationship of yours is toxic and will never amount to anything good?
Leave emotions aside and break off completely.
Do not entertain fear that your are ageing and no suitor yet.Just do well,be nice to people,be neat,wear a smile and pray.
Your right man will come.

He loves me to a fault.. (in Helen Paul's voice)smh. Na love be dat or he is simply possessive.

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by DoubleEngine007: 3:28pm On Dec 16, 2019
Op run ,if what you are saying has no paintings on it.... Marriage is not by force biko..

14 Likes

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by sisisioge: 3:35pm On Dec 16, 2019
Chai! May God truly help you for being confused here! Let me help you put things in perspective:

1. He lies: Eg Guy swore with his life that he didn't touch you after giving your several koois in the head. Domestic violence loading...na from clap dance dey start.

2. He has no respect for you: eg- no qualms about insulting you in public or insulting you at all. Chai!

3. He has no respect for your family: Hian...he called your sis an olosho. That guy will insult your mother soon.

4. He's terribly insecure...can't even begin to give examples.

5. He's a pathological offender...same same...he will keep doing it.

6. He has trust issues.

7. He has no respect for you.

ETC.

Whew...omoge, even though God promised us peace, we are required to deliberately work towards a peaceful life. Good luck.

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 16, 2019
Be thankful you have all this opportunities before marriage. Many were scammed and the beast surfaced after marriage. If you chose to go ahead, I wish you a life of misery.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by 24kmagic: 3:41pm On Dec 16, 2019
Lemme book space
Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by keeki: 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2019
A broken relationship is better than a broken marriage.dont manage your relationship.he has given u a red light severally .once you are married it would get worst because he feels he owns you.i hope he doesn't turn you to a full time house wife who depends on him for everything and when you asked for money,you get insults.this is how women who married men that beat them started.they saw the signs and thought he would change.i am sure you would find a man who would love you more.donot think less of yourself.be is not the only man that can love you .your family would not live with him.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by chii8(f): 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2019
Hmmm...with due respect ma,I'm not sure you really know what love is.The day you get a clearer definition of love, you will not only RUN for your LIFE but FLEE.

Meanwhile, stay away from Grace.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Houseofglam7(f): 4:11pm On Dec 16, 2019
I would love to whack some sense into you!

Go ahead and marry him,don't forget to buy your body bag,because you will need it.
You see all these signs and are still asking for advice?
This is just pathetic to read undecided

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by LadySarah: 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2019
Chai!
Sis dont pls.Dont pls
God is so merciful to you that you are seeing
just the rehearsal ofvwhat will happen if he now pays'YOUR BRIDEPRICE'.

First he will abuse you mentally,physically and all.
He willl make sure you are financially crippled.(changing biz simcard)

Severe family ties(why call an intending inlaw prostitute)
Then you will come here and open another new moniker or tell Admin of a grp to hide your ID on Fb to pour out your marital woes. grin
I dont care how much he has changed ,how he loves you or how ppl are encouraging you.Run! or betterstill connect him to Grace.Those ppl will laugh at you when you finally divorce or eat rice at ur burial (God Forbid!)

Knocking a grown ass adult or insulting you in public.No shame on his person at all.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2019
Hmmmm, all the contributions are soo true but I fear he may become violent and go extreme. I've heard crazy things from him before.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by CaveAdullam: 4:36pm On Dec 16, 2019
Musa dey run leave gate not to talk of this kind relationship.

My friend run to seek the face of God since it was once your desire to marry from your church.

Anything Baba God come tell you na your concern.

Thanks.

God bless.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by ammyluv2002(f): 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2019
First of all, I want you to please disabuse this right away " I don't know if I can find someone who loves me like him" It's so wrong! You are not tied to him, hence you can always find some guy who loves you like crazy.

Secondly, you need to know what you want and stick with it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You will be the one to spend the rest of your life with him and not them. So, you should be able to know things to accommodate or not.

Thirdly, love is not abusive! Do you know what it means to be truly loved by someone? Yes, no relationship is perfect, but not when you are being abused and pushed to the wall.

Lastly, your spirit never clicked right from day one, but you gave in as a result of pressure from family and friends. Never take your guts for granted.

If I were to be you, I will quietly end the relationship and take a walk. No one should make me feel a lesser human. And mind you, words are powerful. You might think it doesn't matter, but come to think of it, if he can display such attitude while you guys are still dating, what happens when you get married to him? You need to ask yourself some serious questions, but as for me, I wouldn't want to get married to man/woman who verbal abuse me on daily basis, I wouldn't want to settle with someone who thinks I am a prostitute especially when I have not given him/her reasons to think so. And I wouldn't want to get married to someone who would make up false stories just to ridicule my name. Lastly, I would want to get married to someone who beats me even while we are still dating.

These are the things I want for myself, but the question is, what do you? The ball is in your court!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Yohans(m): 4:42pm On Dec 16, 2019
dannyla:
Hmmmm, all the contributions are soo true but I fear he may become violent and go extreme. I've heard crazy things from him before.

Choose what you think is best for you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 16, 2019
dannyla:

What you've just described here, is a mentally ill individual.

Cut off all communication with that madman if you value your life, your sanity and your general wellbeing!

It's so sad that man's life is already messed up by his mental illness, don't screw up your own life too by entering into a marital contract with such a person!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am I Making A Mistake? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2019
dannyla:

If all you said here is the complete truth without mincing words , then I suggest you dump his sorry ass.

How can a man behave like this? It beats my imagination honestly, the guy is insecure, jealous and very toxic if you end up marrying this kind of person am really sorry for you.

The guy sef don dey give you knock for head , and also embarrasses you in full public view .

My sister run for your dear life

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

My Pre-Wedding Pictures, I Am 21 Years, While She Is 19 / Two Celibate Lawyers Kiss On Their Wedding Day. PICS / Can You Marry A Fetish Priestess That Is Very Pretty? (be Truthful)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.