Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,841 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story (8970 Views)

See Pics Of Ongoing Renovation At Asorock. / Obanikoro Rubbishes Saharareporters Audio Tape On Ekiti Elections / Obanikoro Disclaims Audio Recording On Ekiti Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:22pm On Dec 02, 2010
I am Head of SaveNigeriaBeerGroup, I must Visit ASO rock with at least 100 Thousand drunks. I am sure it will be customary to get $100 dollars to cover our vomiting and reveling costs grin
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by OCHULORC(m): 12:50pm On Dec 02, 2010
All these groups sef for naijja i tire for una, i feel there is something fishy abt this SNG.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by ndigbo: 1:27pm On Dec 02, 2010
Beaf make una take easy oooh
abi na weetin hard reach like that naw?
GEJ and crew have messed up by giving 7.6m as transport, hospitality and sundry allowances for only 4 people! Let call a spade a spade! So that we can move forward as People and Nation!
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by jason12345: 1:32pm On Dec 02, 2010
@ beaf

you are very biased. so you cannot see anything wrong in what GJ did? its just a shame. cry
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Meldrick(m): 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2010
reporter?:

There is nothing customary about dashing out YOUR money. As a citizen, you should be concerned that the office of the Presidency
is engaging in such despicable act.
We are know it's a subtle bribe. No one expects the presidency to say "here is 50k bribe."

Mr ill reporter,

When you visit an uncle, a friend or someone you know and he gives you transport money, Is that a bribe? Then you must have collected a lot of bribes ''called transport''.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
Jonathan’s attempt to bribe the SNG is a reminder of last October’s allegation by Global Information System, a private think tank of retired U.S. military strategists, of Jonathan’s ongoing “corruption of the Nigerian political process.” The think tank reported that Jonathan was buying up delegates to the forthcoming PDP primaries for $13,000 (two million Naira) per vote.

even mercenaries knows what this guy's up to.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 02, 2010
I Beg make someone tell me wetin Bakare and his group dey look for for Villa? Why did they collect the money,count it and return it?
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 02, 2010
I Beg make someone tell me wetin Bakare and his group dey look for for Villa? Why did they collect the money,count it and return it?
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Dec 02, 2010
princekevo (m)
Taipa(Macau)

Only God knows how much of public funds that goes into this so called 'due and customary' per year.

That same question ran through my mind. If SNG was offered $50,000 as "customary" gift, I wonder how much more our government gives out each year,
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by debosky(m): 3:32pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^ All the 'delegations' visiting Aso Rock must receive the same kind of 'due and customary' every visit. undecided

Bakare has said that Yinka's account is authentic. Based on that, this is what happened:

Narrating his case earlier today on naijapolitics, a popular listerv, Mr. Odumakin wrote as follows: “After the meeting with the President, he left the wing where we met for another [wing] and said ‘please don't go yet I'm coming’. Sensing what that could [mean] we headed for our cars…We would have left before Orubebe emerged from the president with a brown envelope but for the fact that the drivers were not allowed to stay in the cars.”

Odumakin further explained: “Before we could drive off he [Orubebe] brought the ‘gift’ from the President and he said so. We rejected the money instantly but he was persistent. Wisdom dictated we couldn't be creating scene at the [Aso Rock] villa gate after midnight.” 

“We headed to our hotel and called Mr. Tony Uranta to come up with us. We then called Orubebe and put him on speaker to let him know that we are returning the money through Uranta back to him and to the president. Mr. Uranta then said that he appreciated our integrity.”

Mr. Odumakin revealed that the $50,000 came in “five bundles and all $100”. He added that, in order to guarantee that the money was returned to source, they also called Oronto Douglas, a senior adviser to Jonathan, to inform him of their action.

“We had moved on and we ordinarily would not have embarrassed the Presidency on this matter,” Mr. Odumakin further wrote, adding, “But 48 hours after the visit Saharareporters called to inquire if we visited Jonathan, which we confirmed. We then learnt that the meeting leaked through the other party. At that point, it became clear that some people were out to do some dirty job. It was later revealed to us that the story that was actually sold was that we collected money from the Presidency.”

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/jonathan%E2%80%99s-50000-bribe-another-sng-delegate-provides-more-details-orubebe-issues-denial

End of story - enough of Beaf's pathetic attempts to 'define' the meaning of the word 'offer' and claim that 'no money exchanged hands' when the evidence available is to the contrary.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by proudly9ja(m): 3:59pm On Dec 02, 2010
In normal official quaters, even if you attempt to refund money for transport, the recipient will fill a form stating how much he/she spent on transport and attach copies of receipts. If the FG deemed it as transport money, did the SNG group ask for it? (NO) and how was it entered into the account book (Im assuming there's one). Maybe miscellaneous? abi security vote?

If the President had nothing to hide, they would follow official means and ask the SNG to fill a form and give receipts of money spent.

Na all these kain money wey we dey spend put under miscellaneous na im dey kill us. This was how 10% started back in the 60s (read Nzeogu's coup speech)and it is now a 'normal' thing to give 10% of money when you win a big for a contract.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Dec 02, 2010
Thank God there are also other people out there who have read of this and demand it be investigated. My hands are getting sore sending emails of this out everywhere I can . . .lol . This issue is too big to end up,like so many others, in the Nigerians bins.

[size=13pt]Nigeria: Investigate $50,000 SNG Bribe, Lawyer Tells EFCC, ICPC[/size]

A lawyer, Mr Adeniyi Akintola (SAN), yesterday asked the country's anti-graft agencies to investigate the issues surrounding alleged bid to bribe a delegation of Pastor Tunde Bakare-led Save Nigeria Group (SNG) after their visit to the Presidential Villa.

The Minister of State, Niger Delta, Mr Godsday Orubebe, was accused of offering $US50,000 to the SNG team. The minister had denied the accusation.

Speaking with journalists in Abuja yesterday, Akintola said the allegation is serious if it is true and must be probed by either the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

He said any issue raised by Pastor Bakare and Yinka Odumakin should not be swept under the carpet.

He said, "All I know is that the people involved are not frivolous people, I mean Pastor Tunde Bakare and Odumakin. Odumakin and I have been in the trenches for a very long time. So I know him very well to be a man of impeccable character who will not cry wolf where there is none. I do know that he is not one of the charlatans you find around the corner that go to government offices to collect money. I think they made a mistake.

"Whoever mooted the idea in the first place against the likes of Odumakin and Tunde Bakare made a mistake because they are not the type of people that run in the mill of charlatans. Though the authenticity of it is still in doubt, if it is true that such money was given to support the ambition of Mr. President, that would be quite unfortunate because one, you have to ask where does that money come from? Then why was it denominated in dollars? Then if it was so given to who? To do what? For what purpose?" he queried.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201012020357.html
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 02, 2010
@oyb
Hash brother, hash!! but u nailed em good, really good!!!
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by emcaluv(m): 4:41pm On Dec 02, 2010
Guys, can someone explain the reason why GEJ is offering Bribe to SNG? For them to win PDP primaries for him? You make me laugh. See this definition:
Bribery, a form of corruption, is an act implying money or gift given that alters the behavior of the recipient. Bribery constitutes a crime and is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in charge of a public or legal duty. The bribe is the gift bestowed to influence the recipient's conduct. It may be any money, good, right in action, property, preferment, privilege, emolument, object of value, advantage, or merely a promise or undertaking to induce or influence the action, vote, or influence of a person in an official or public capacity.

Did you see receiving in that definition? SNG cannot exonerate themselves from the act of collecting bribe.

I believe every government in the world gives stipends or honorarium to non-profit making organisations which SNG is part of. Even religious bodies collect honorariums too from government. Government has miscellaneous budget that covers all these spendings.
Why did SNG collect the money in the first place knowing fully well that it was a bribe?
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by saintchux(m): 5:00pm On Dec 02, 2010
oyb:

for the idiots whose education was wasted and who slept through ethics 101 classes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribe

Bribery, a form of corruption, is an act implying money or gift given that alters the behavior of the recipient. Bribery constitutes a crime and is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in charge of a public or legal duty. The bribe is the gift bestowed to influence the recipient's conduct. It may be any money, good, right in action, property, preferment, privilege, emolument, object of value, advantage, or merely a promise or undertaking to induce or influence the action, vote, or influence of a person in an official or public capacity.

Many types of bribes exist: [b]tip, gift, perk, skim, favor, discount, waived fee/ticket, free food, free ad, free trip, free tickets, sweetheart deal, kickback/payback, funding, happy meal, inflated sale of an object or property, lucrative contract, grease money, donation, campaign contribution, fund raiser, sponsorship/backing, higher paying job, stock options, secret commission, or promotion (rise of position/rank).[/b]

One must be careful of differing social and cultural norms when examining bribery. ( in the book of gej for instance) . .   Expectations of when a monetary transaction is appropriate can differ from place to place. . . . cheesy

If this is bribe. whom among us is not guilt, even when my boss will pay for your lunch only to ask you for an extra hour after work.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Kobojunkie: 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^^ and elements of your kind come on here pretending to be ready for change. lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Boboribo: 6:09pm On Dec 02, 2010
@emcaluv The policeman you've been giving 20naira all your life without wanting something from him what do you call that
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by daroz(m): 6:52pm On Dec 02, 2010
`let he without sin cast the 1st stone`. Infact, are u guys now saying that its now wrong for the Government to support any independent group becos it can be tagged as bribe? And what will the government be bribing SNG for? are they voting in the PDP primaries?
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by jaygetta(m): 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2010
Beaf, Oyb finish u o! If I was you, I go retire from NL patapata. But, from what I see from ur previous posts, u no get shame sha. So, I'm sure u'll be back here.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 02, 2010
let he without sin cast the 1st stone`. Infact, are u guys now saying that its now wrong for the Government to support any independent group becos it can be tagged as bribe? And what will the government be bribing SNG for? are they voting in the PDP primaries?

Would you have said the same if FEC had given SNG 'transport expense' when they marched to Abuja to demand that GEJ be sworn in as acting president during the Yar'dua imbroglio ?
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Kobojunkie: 8:02pm On Dec 02, 2010
[size=13pt]Nigeria: Group Urges Probe of SNG Bribe Offer[/size]

A group known as the National Coalition for Integrity in Government (NCIG) has called for the probe of President Goodluck Jonathan over the alleged bid to induce members of the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) led by Pastor Tunde Bakare with $50,000.

The group in a statement signed yesterday by Alhaji Ibrahim Suleiman expressed outrage at the alleged use of public funds to buy the conscience of opinion leaders and advocacy groups in the country.

It said that the existence of slush funds to oil the campaign of the President has further weakened public trust in the government's ability to conduct credible elections.

"It is surprising, that a President who preaches anti-corruption and recently urged Nigerians to do away with money-politics could now be found connected to a failed attempt to induce members of the Save Nigeria Group, (SNG) with $50, 000," the statement added.

According to the group, it is inconvincible that the government could be handing out $50,000 as "transport allowance" to private bodies when the same government was reluctant to pay N18, 000 as minimum wage to workers.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201012020421.html
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by seanet02: 8:30pm On Dec 02, 2010
Beaf, are you dead?
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by presido1: 8:56pm On Dec 02, 2010
seanet02:

Beaf, are you dead?
Sounds like Umaru Umaru are you dead by OBJ. Beaf proves IBB(Nigerian youth comment) correct everyday on this board.

But $50,000USD can conveniently build a 6 classroom block. This shows that the money used to grease palms in Aso rock in a day will do wonders to Nigerian dilapidated infrastructure.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by blacksta(m): 9:09pm On Dec 02, 2010
No wonder  - people like visiting Aso rock  if not a high priest then it is some dodgy king with hope of receiving the customary transportation  money.  I never knew Aso rock had its own inhouse bank where ridiculous large sums of money are kept no wonder yar adua son could pose with bundles of naira.

To the idio t that says it is customary to hand out large sums of unaccounted money  - I say you must be big foo l .
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Muza(m): 9:36pm On Dec 02, 2010
He whu debates and run away lives to debate another day. . .

beaf,therez a way out of all this for u,just accept dat ur corrupt,clueless and incompetent boss goofed,dats all,very easy,nobody is perfect,then u can go about to continue defending him,but on this issue just accept defeat.
LMFAO. . .LOL
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Beaf: 10:07pm On Dec 02, 2010
Narrating his case earlier today on naijapolitics, a popular listerv, Mr. Odumakin wrote as follows: “After the meeting with the President, he left the wing where we met for another [wing] and said ‘please don't go yet I'm coming’. Sensing what that could [mean] we headed for our cars…We would have left before Orubebe emerged from the president with a brown envelope but for the fact that the drivers were not allowed to stay in the cars.”

Odumakin further explained: “Before we could drive off he [Orubebe] brought the ‘gift’ from the President and he said so. We rejected the money instantly but he was persistent. Wisdom dictated we couldn't be creating scene at the [Aso Rock] villa gate after midnight.” 

“We headed to our hotel and called Mr. Tony Uranta to come up with us. We then called Orubebe and put him on speaker to let him know that we are returning the money through Uranta back to him and to the president. Mr. Uranta then said that he appreciated our integrity.”

Mr. Odumakin revealed that the $50,000 came in “five bundles and all $100”. He added that, in order to guarantee that the money was returned to source, they also called Oronto Douglas, a senior adviser to Jonathan, to inform him of their action.

“We had moved on and we ordinarily would not have embarrassed the Presidency on this matter,” Mr. Odumakin further wrote, adding, “But 48 hours after the visit Saharareporters called to inquire if we visited Jonathan, which we confirmed. We then learnt that the meeting leaked through the other party. At that point, it became clear that some people were out to do some dirty job. It was later revealed to us that the story that was actually sold was that we collected money from the Presidency.”

Ok, lets summarise possibilities; SNG goes to Aso Rock, SNG asks for bribe, a shocked govt gives them some marked notes and leaks the story to the press. SNG returns money and makes a lot of noise after being caught pants down, while FG is quiet and might sue.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 02, 2010
Muza:

He whu debates and run away lives to debate another day. . .

beaf,therez a way out of all this for u,just accept dat your corrupt,clueless and incompetent boss goofed,dats all,very easy,nobody is perfect,then u can go about to continue defending him,but on this issue just accept defeat.
LMFAO. . .LOL

I think that is a difficult ask. If they do that then SAINT Jonathan who also fancies himself as God's representative in Nigeria will now become human.

and they certainly do not want to humanize Jonny Boy.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Kobojunkie: 10:16pm On Dec 02, 2010
roflmao!! ;d :d :d ;d :d
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 02, 2010
^^^^^ no be only you grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by trooperz(m): 10:34pm On Dec 02, 2010
@OYB you forgot to mention Aids & grants (grant -in- aid)

n pl grants-in-aid

1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a sum of money granted by one government to a lower level of government or to a dependency for a programme, etc.
2. (Social Science / Education) Education a grant provided by the central government or local education authority to ensure consistent standards in buildings and other facilities,
e.g. China gives $2,000,000,000 grants to Nigeria to combat the AIDs epidemic !, Nigeria dint ask for it but will gladly receive such funds.

But for every gift, there is a price abi? Nigeria by default will gladly let the Chinese come into the domestic market and do business. Ensuring the business

climate is suitable for the Chinaman as long as that particular government is in power in Nigeria. This is not peculiar to Nigeria,

Bakare the "JAZZ man of god" Ebele just gave you grant-in aid, you either accept or decline the gambit ! , wetin u sef go find for Aso rock, who send you? U

bloody detractor, whistleblower,

Bakare maintain your pulpit and let Ebele Joe maintain his rock! , on sunday you will tell your poor worshippers, (*in a husky bragging tone* last night I was with the

president)

e.g. The bible preaches against people who look frustrated, unhappy, and pitiable when they FAST. Good deeds should be between you and your God. You attention

seeker, your behaviour fits into this context.

Does declining the cash make you righteous? Does it make you upright? Are you trying to impress your congregation? You political novice, Bakare Sagna You don

phuck up, if I catch your K leg in front of aso rock again u go hiaaaaaaaa ram. tongue
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Eziachi: 10:45pm On Dec 02, 2010
Beaf:

So the matter was a storm in a teacup afterall! Bakare puts the blame for the miscommunication on Uranta and Orubebe. He seems to be quite exercised about the reaction of govt officials, who must have seen SNG's strange rejection of cover of their costs as a set up; perhaps, both sides should have approached the press jointly on the issue.

Quite clearly, the govt invited SNG and an offer was made to cover their transport, hotel and other costs (as is due and customary); but the SNG has made it clear that they will always pay their costs. Its just crossed wires.

So in all your wisdom, a public servant, whose salary is paid from your own tax, just brandishded $50k and gave it unsolicitated and called it transport money is a storm in a tea cup for you?
How much is the salary of both Orubebe and Uranta and where did they get that kind of money from?

If Jonathan is unaware of this money exchange, why are both men still in their jobs as we speak?
How many more transport money do think they give on a daily basis? only that they gave to the wrong bunch this time.
Now they are trying to define for us what bribery means. Whe people give bribe, do they say to you, here is a bribe of £50k?

So next time, they will give someone $50k for Kola, so you expect the person to go and buy $50k worth of Kola, as if you don't know what that kola means.
In your wisdom, when someone comes to your house, on leaving you gave them $50k for transport. What sort of transport cost that sort of cash to offset?
Where did Jonathan and his men get the $50k they are giving away for someone's transport?
What part of the state's budget covers that money?

Beaf I feel sorry for you, in your blind support for Jonathan. There is no different between Jonathan and the likes of IBB or OBJ, only that he is luckily coming into the scene many decades befor them.  He may end up being worse than them.
Give it 6 months, you will change your tone or be singing another song about Jonathan.
Supporting a Nigerian politician blindly is equivalent to committing suicide in my opinion.  Because they will always disappoint you even before you finsih uttering your support for them.
Why many of you don't learn even from the present is way  beyong me and no wonder these rogues take you Nigerians for fools.
Re: Saharareporters -- Audio Recording Of Pastor Bakare $50,000 AsoRock Bribe Story by Beaf: 10:54pm On Dec 02, 2010
Eziachi:

So in all your wisdom, a public servant, whose salary is paid from your own tax, just brandishded $50k and gave it unsolicitated and called it transport money is a storm in a tea cup for you?
How much is the salary of both Orubebe and Uranta and where did they get that kind of money from?
. . .

My bad. With more recent developments, I believe my words were a bit early.
From Odumakins words that the Presidency informed the press, do you still think the money was "unsolicitated?"
It seems that SNG might have asked for a bribe and govt definitely told the press about it. Since then, we have heard only one side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Already Have An OFR National Award – Alele-williams / Sokoto, Zaria Attacks: Boko Haram Claims Responsibility / Is Obi Cubana now a saboteur see latest PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.