Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award (1745 Views)

Nigeria Wins Bid To Manage Belarus’s Satellite For 15 Years / The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 3:07am On Dec 05, 2010
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 3:45am On Dec 05, 2010
Two comments:
1) Seems you left out any mention/praise for the other 44 authors of this book, many of whom are Nigerians.
2) The publisher is called "Information Science Reference", and this seems to be an imprint of the company giving out the award (see their list of imprints here: http://www.igi-global.com/Books/BookInformation/Imprints.aspx). Not really clear how much value an award of this sort has.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 3:50am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

Two comments:
1) Seems you left out any mention/praise for the other 44 authors of this book, many of whom are Nigerians.
2) The publisher is called "Information Science Reference", and this seems to be an imprint of the company giving out the award (see their list of imprints here: http://www.igi-global.com/Books/BookInformation/Imprints.aspx). Not really clear how much value an award of this sort has.

No matter. The book and the ensuing award may not be important to you but certainly is to those in the field of nanotechnology and microelectronics

The guy was two things rolled in one per the book. He was an author as well as the editor of the book.

Please google him to know more about him. Simply the most educated Nigerian out there.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 3:56am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

No matter. The book and the ensuing award may not be important to you but certainly is to those in the field of nanotechnology and microelectronics
The book may be of value. But the award isn't, since it is given by the very company publishing the book. Surely you see the conflict of interest.

The guy was two things rolled in one per the book. He was an author as well as the editor of the book.
The editor of a book gets almost zero credit for the book. The editor is not the one who wrote each of the 20 chapters, he is simply the one who proofread it, arranged the ordering, perhaps culled the 20 chapters listed from possibly a larger number of submissions.

Please google him to know more about him. Simply the most educated Nigerian out there.
Questionable assertion, and irrelevant to this discussion.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:02am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

The book may be of value. But the award isn't, since it is given by the very company publishing the book. Surely you see the conflict of interest.
The editor of a book gets almost zero credit for the book. The editor is not the one who wrote each of the 20 chapters, he is simply the one who proofread it, arranged the ordering, perhaps culled the 20 chapters listed from possibly a larger number of submissions.
Questionable assertion, and irrelevant to this discussion.

IGI presumably published tons of books in 2010 and this one was chosen among those as the best. How is that conflict of interest when they published all the books used in the award?
He was not just the editor, he was also a co-author

My assertion is not questionable until you show me any other Nigerian with 4 MS and 2 PhD degrees in the broad engineering field, one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult subject area. The guy is already manufacturing PCs- google Ovim Tablet PC or something like that
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by stranger: 4:06am On Dec 05, 2010
Yeah, yeah, yeah,
Another Emeagwali. . . just a matter of time before the wind exposes the butt of the hen!

Until then. . .
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 4:17am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

IGI presumably published tons of books in 2010 and this one was chosen among those as the best. How is that conflict of interest when they published all the books used in the award?
The conflict of interest has nothing to do with how many books they publish. Again, the award has limited merit for the same reason selecting one of my own posts for the DapoBear Grand Prize would be a sham.

He was not just the editor, he was also a co-author
One of 45 authors, yes. None of whom you chose to mention or acknowledge. As I said earlier, being the editor of a book contributes roughly epsilon in value, since it is primarily an administrative job, not original research.

My assertion is not questionable until you show me any other Nigerian with 4 MS and 2 PhD degrees in the broad engineering field, one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult subject area. The guy is already manufacturing PCs- google Ovim Tablet PC or something like that
Well, as I said, it is irrelevant to the discussion. And it is quite questionable; in academia (at least in the US) people are not judged on the # of degrees they have, but some combination of:
a) The prestige of the university they received their PhD from
b) The quality of their own individual research.

It is generally seen as better to have a single PhD from a first-rate institution than several PhDs from 2nd and 3rd tier ones. Anyway, as I said, his education levels are not particularly relevant in this case.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by stranger: 4:22am On Dec 05, 2010
Chapter 25: Emerging Technology Penetration: The case of Solar Electricity in Nigeria
Jesuleye O. Aquila, National Centre for Technology Management, Nigeria
Siyanbola W. Owol[/b]abi, National Centre for Technology Management, Nigeria
[b]Ilori M. Olugbemiga
, Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria

Yorubas

Chapter 18: Technology Adoption and Economic Development: Trajectories within the African Agricultural Industry
Taiwo E. Mafimisebi, Federal University of Technology, Nigeria

The so called editor only wrote a chapter, what a numbskull; I read somewhere that his Phd from JH is not legit
Word on the street is that he cheated his way through gradschool. Anyway, I am not surprised.

Chapter 1: Nanotechnology and Microelectronics: The Science, Trends and Global
Diffusion
Ndubuisi Ekekwe, Johns Hopkins University, USA
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:33am On Dec 05, 2010
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:34am On Dec 05, 2010
stranger:

Chapter 25: Emerging Technology Penetration: The case of Solar Electricity in Nigeria
[b]Ilori M. Olugbemiga

Yorubas

Now you still drag your usual childish tribalism into this? How many Igbos were on the list or your eyes dey see only Yoruba names? For somebody who does not even know how to write Ph.D, where you wan start from?
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 4:37am On Dec 05, 2010
I'm not questioning his intelligence or capability, he seems like a sharp guy. And being a TED fellow is quite an accomplishment. But there are plenty of Nigerians who have similar or better achievements (honestly, just google around a bit.)

In any case, those achievements are not relevant to the discussion at hand, namely the merit of this award.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by stranger: 4:39am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Now you still drag your usual childish tribalism into this? How many Igbos were on the list or your eyes dey see only Yoruba names?

You are a big fool

He is Ibo, it makes sense that he would invite his fellow incompetent Igbos to join in his charade

The point I am making is that  that there are no Igbos knowledgeable enough to cover the breadth of the book; Hence, the need for him to invite the ever superior Yorubas

If it were a Yoruba book, there wont be need to invite Igbos!
That my friend is the difference!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:41am On Dec 05, 2010
Stranger, were you blinded by these names?

About the authors and chapters:
Nanotechnology and Microelectronics, by Ndubuisi Ekekwe (Johns Hopkins University, USA)
www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Chapter.aspx?TitleId=43315

Adopter Fatigue Phenomenon in Diffusion of Innovations, by Augustine Ejiogu (Imo State University, Nigeria)
www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Chapter.aspx?TitleId=43321

Potential Ethical Concerns in Nanotechnology, by Chi Anyansi-Archibong (North Carolina A&T State University, USA) and Silvanus Udoka (North Carolina A&T State University, USA)
www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Chapter.aspx?TitleId=43330
Technology Transfer and Diffusion in Developing Economies, by Edwin Igbokwe (University of Nigeria, Nigeria) and Nicholas Ozor (University of Nigeria, Nigeria)
www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Chapter.aspx?TitleId=43334

Emerging Technology Transfer, Economic Development and Policy in Africa, by Alfred Kisubi (University of Wisconsin, USA), Chi Anyansi-Archibong (North Carolina A&T State University, USA), Ngozi Kamalu (Fayetteville State University, USA), Johnson Kamalu (Alabama A&M University, USA), and Michael Adikwu (World Bank-Step-B Project and University of Nigeria, Nigeria)
www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Chapter.aspx?TitleId=43337

Trade Policies and Development of Technology in Africa, by Louis Osuji (Chicago State University, USA)
www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/Chapter.aspx?TitleId=43338
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:41am On Dec 05, 2010
stranger:

You are a big fool

He is Ibo, it makes sense that he would invite his fellow incompetent Igbos to join in his charade

The point I am making is that  that there are no Igbos knowledgeable enough to cover the breadth of the book; Hence, the need for him to invite the ever superior Yorubas

If it were a Yoruba book, there wont be need to invite Igbos!
That my friend is the difference!

So it follows that he also dragged the Yoruba contributors right? See how porous you are?
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by stranger: 4:43am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Now you still drag your usual childish tribalism into this? How many Igbos were on the list or your eyes dey see only Yoruba names? For somebody who does not even know how to write Ph.D, where you wan start from?

It is Ph.D., not Ph.D
Ode!

Hope you see the difference, anuofia!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:45am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

I'm not questioning his intelligence or capability, he seems like a sharp guy. And being a TED fellow is quite an accomplishment. But there are plenty of Nigerians who have similar or better achievements (honestly, just google around a bit.)

In any case, those achievements are not relevant to the discussion at hand, namely the merit of this award.

You will have to do the googling to prove me wrong

If the award is irrelevant, the publishers will not be giving it. It is like a father giving an award to his kids for best-behaved child of the year and you ask the old man the relevance of his award. IGI gave an award to the best book it published in 2010 and you sit here asking what the relevance is? What is the relevance of any award except to those involved?
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by Onlytruth(m): 4:47am On Dec 05, 2010
stranger:

It is Ph.D., not Ph.D
Ode!

Hope you see the difference, anuofia!

Sharrap dia, Atulu Yoruba! angry
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:47am On Dec 05, 2010
stranger:

[b]Ilori M. Olugbemiga

Yorubas

Chapter 18: Technology Adoption and Economic Development: Trajectories within the African Agricultural Industry
Taiwo E. Mafimisebi, Federal University of Technology, Nigeria

The so called editor only wrote a chapter, what a numbskull; I read somewhere that his Phd from JH is not legit
Word on the street is that he cheated his way through gradschool. Anyway, I am not surprised.

Chapter 1: Nanotechnology and Microelectronics: The Science, Trends and Global
Diffusion
Ndubuisi Ekekwe, Johns Hopkins University, USA

according to Stranger it is Phd. What an Ode x4
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by stranger: 4:50am On Dec 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

Sharrap dia, Atulu Yoruba! angry

May be you should learn to spell first before you jump in on a conversation that is clearly over your head

Your mates are in Alaba, not on NL!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by Onlytruth(m): 4:53am On Dec 05, 2010
stranger:

May be you should learn to spell first before you jump in on a conversation that is clearly over your head

Your mates are in Alaba, not on NL!

And your mates are hunting heads for gbomo gbomo in the bushes of Ijebuland. Omo ale.
Did you wash your nyash this morning? It stinks and I can smell it from here.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:57am On Dec 05, 2010
Onlytruth:

And your mates are hunting heads for gbomo gbomo in the bushes of Ijebuland. Omo ale.
Did you wash your nyash this morning? It stinks and I can smell it from here.

Plus, his mates are in the motor parks killing themselves. The rest are serving Igbo boys in Alaba.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 4:59am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

You will have to do the googling to prove me wrong
I have zero interest in doing your work for you. Check the science and engineering departments at Caltech, MIT, Stanford, UMich, UIUC, GaTech, UTexas and you'll find plenty of naija names there.

If the award is irrelevant, the publishers will not be giving it. It is like a father giving an award to his kids for best-behaved child of the year and you ask the old man the relevance of his award. IGI gave an award to the best book it published in 2010 and you sit here asking what the relevance is? What is the relevance of any award except to those involved?
See, TED for example is a significant award, because it was made by a party entirely unconnected to this guy. In academics, this is the type of validation you seek. Validation from your community and established researchers in your field. You don't get credit for editing books, or even writing chapters of books, unless these books represent (A) cutting edge research and are (B) peer-reviewed. Doesn't look like this book satisfies either of A or B.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:01am On Dec 05, 2010
^^^^^^^

2010 Excellence in Technology Research 'Book of the Year' Award
As a publisher of breakthrough technology research for over two-decades, IGI Global is pleased to announce the 2010 Excellence in Technology Research 'Book of the Year' Award that honors the most innovative studies published within the 2010 copyright year.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:06am On Dec 05, 2010
Plus, JHU is among the best schools in the US
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 5:11am On Dec 05, 2010
^-- This should tell you a bit about the quality of this book publishing company. When you perform research, you submit it to a leading journal in your field. It is then reviewed anonymously by experts in your field (in my own area, usually 2 or 3 reviewers), then accepted or rejected for publication in the journal. If your work is first-rate, then your paper will be heavily cited and used by your field. Later on down the line, you might publish it in a book. And not a random book company like this one, but you'd choose one of the more prestigious ones specially targeted for your area.

Anyway, you've made much ado about nothing, really.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 5:17am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Plus, JHU is among the best schools in the US
In biosciences and medicine it is very strong, but in most other areas fairly weak. In particular, it is not a first-tier school in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, Caltech, UIllinois are probably considered the first tier. Cornell and Princeton are very good too. Schools like GaTech, UMich, UTexas are also very strong. There are lots of good schools in the US, but only a handful are considered the best.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:28am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

^-- This should tell you a bit about the quality of this book publishing company. When you perform research, you submit it to a leading journal in your field. It is then reviewed anonymously by experts in your field (in my own area, usually 2 or 3 reviewers), then accepted or rejected for publication in the journal. If your work is first-rate, then your paper will be heavily cited and used by your field. Later on down the line, you might publish it in a book. And not a random book company like this one, but you'd choose one of the more prestigious ones specially targeted for your area.

Anyway, you've made much ado about nothing, really.

You then do not know how book publishing works. Most, indeed, all book chapters (such as this one) published are not peer reviewed. Experts who can stand their own in the field are usually invited by publishing companies to write book chapters which are then collated and edited by an editor, also a very prominent expert in the field. Only journal articles are peer-reviewed by experts. Just so you know, I have written more than 20 first-author peer-reviewed articles in international journals including the prestigious ES&T and I have about 5 book chapters as co-authors. This is no withstanding that I am still an upcoming scientist in my field. So you are in no position to tell me how scientific publishing is done. You also lie. You cannot publish already published work even of your own in its entirety, except specific data of which you need the permission of the journal to do so. Comprend?
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:29am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

In biosciences and medicine it is very strong, but in most other areas fairly weak. In particular, it is not a first-tier school in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, Caltech, UIllinois are probably considered the first tier. Cornell and Princeton are very good too. Schools like GaTech, UMich, UTexas are also very strong. There are lots of good schools in the US, but only a handful are considered the best.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 5:34am On Dec 05, 2010
^--- Undergrad rankings are different from grad school rankings. For example, Harvard is #1 for undergrad. But a PhD in say engineering from Harvard is less prestigious than one from say Georgia Tech. GaTech engineering is superior to Harvard's almost across the board. Engineering is simply not Harvard's speciality or strength.

Here is a list of best graduate schools for electrical eng:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/electrical-engineering

Harvard isn't even in the top 10.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:40am On Dec 05, 2010
Brain box of Nigeria (Ndubuisi Ekekwe) releases Tablet PC, OVIM

http://goafrit./2010/11/15/ovim-arrives-%E2%80%93-nigeria%E2%80%99s-tablet-pc/
http://www.connectnigeria.com/news/microscale-embedded-ltd-partner-fasmicro-ltd-to-launch-ovim-tablet-pc/84
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 6:00am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

You then do not know how book publishing works. Most, indeed, all book chapters (such as this one) published are not peer reviewed. Experts who can stand their own in the field are usually invited by publishing companies to write book chapters which are then collated and edited by an editor, also a very prominent expert in the field. Only journal articles are peer-reviewed by experts.
So you yourself know that the editor of a book gets almost zero credit for the book. Why then did you spin it as the work of a single man, rather than of 45 authors?
Yes, book chapters are not peer reviewed. But at least in my area, they are either (A) literature survey papers (B) essentially modifications/more accessible rewrites of previously peer-reviewed work.
Thus if high-quality research work is appearing in say book chapter form, it falls under case (B).

Just so you know, I have written more than 20 first-author peer-reviewed articles in international journals including the prestigious ES&T and I have about 5 book chapters as co-authors. This is no withstanding that I am still an upcoming scientist in my field. So you are in no position to tell me how scientific publishing is done.
Are these conference papers or journal papers? In my field, there is a distinction between the two. And at my school, the goals are a bit different; we aim for quality over quantity. Publishing one journal-quality paper every 1.5 or 2 years is pretty typical; most guys have 2 or 3 such by the time they receive their PhD.
Your field seems to differ quite a bit in publishing frequency.

You also lie. You cannot publish already published work even of your own in its entirety, except specific data of which you need the permission of the journal to do so. Comprend?
No, this isn't quite true. I usually write the manuscript first, something which I and my coauthors entirely retain copyright over. Afterwards, we massage that manuscript into a form suitable for the publisher. It is this latter document which we give up the copyright to.
Now, of course I cannot massage/resubmit this same manuscript to another publication. But I can of course use it as a chapter in a thesis, or massage it into a book chapter (with more citations and rewritten for accessibility.)
For example, my own advisor, he wrote 3 or 4 very good papers, selected some to assemble into a thesis, and later this thesis won a fairly prestigious award and was published as a book (not by some fly-by night book company, but by the book division of his university.)
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 6:08am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

So you yourself know that the editor of a book gets almost zero credit for the book. Why then did you spin it as the work of a single man, rather than of 45 authors?
Yes, book chapters are not peer reviewed. But at least in my area, they are either (A) literature survey papers (B) essentially modifications/more accessible rewrites of previously peer-reviewed work.
Thus if high-quality research work is appearing in say book chapter form, it falls under case (B).
Are these conference papers or journal papers? In my field, there is a distinction between the two. And at my school, the goals are a bit different; we aim for quality over quantity. Publishing one journal-quality paper every 1.5 or 2 years is pretty typical; most guys have 2 or 3 such by the time they receive their PhD.
Your field seems to differ quite a bit in publishing frequency.
No, this isn't quite true. I usually write the manuscript first, something which I and my coauthors entirely retain copyright over. Afterwards, we massage that manuscript into a form suitable for the publisher. It is this latter document which we give up the copyright to.
Now, of course I cannot massage/resubmit this same manuscript to another publication. But I can of course use it as a chapter in a thesis, or massage it into a book chapter (with more citations and rewritten for accessibility.)
For example, my own advisor, he wrote 3 or 4 very good papers, selected some to assemble into a thesis, and later this thesis won a fairly prestigious award and was published as a book (not by some fly-by night book company, but by the book division of his university.)

I am talking of peer-reviewed papers not conference papers which I have in quantum. I am also a reviewer myself in two journals. As far as I know, you cannot retain copyright of your paper in any good journal. That is why you sign copyright transfer agreement once your paper is accepted and prior to publication. Where have you published in; may be some Ado Ekiti journals grin grin grin grin? I have my papers in ES &T, journal of hazardous materials, Environmental Microbiology, etc. Those are among the highest impact factor in my interdisciplinary field of research

(1) (2) (Reply)

Farida Waziri; Ikedi Ohakim Where 419 Associates / Who Is Who In Kogi State: Ibrahim Idris / El Rufai Lied Again...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.