Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award (1748 Views)

Nigeria Wins Bid To Manage Belarus’s Satellite For 15 Years / The Brain Box Of Nigeria: Anambra Or Ekiti? / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 6:21am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

I am talking of peer-reviewed papers not conference papers which I have in quantum.
Is this ordinary in your field to have so many publications? 20 first author journal papers in almost any reasonable field is usually enough to obtain a PhD. Pardon my skepticism, but I wonder a bit about the quality of the work, given that the volume is so high. In certain fields, everyone has enormous amounts of papers, and they use other criterion to figure out who is performing and who isn't (namely quality of work.)

I am also a reviewer myself in two journals. As far as I know, you cannot retain copyright of your paper in any good journal. That is why you sign copyright transfer agreement once your paper is accepted and prior to publication.
As I said, one can avoid this issue by having two separate versions. I usually tex up a draft to which I retain copyright. I take this draft and put it into the journal's format. It is only this 2nd document to which I give up copyright.

Where have you published in; may be some Ado Ekiti journals grin grin grin grin? I have my papers in ES &T, journal of hazardous materials, Environmental Microbiology, etc. Those are among the highest impact factor in my interdisciplinary field of research
I have only one journal paper to my name. It is in a pretty good journal. However, I won't say the name of it, as this combined with some others things I've written here will reveal a bit too much personal information about me.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 6:36am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

Is this ordinary in your field to have so many publications? 20 first author journal papers in almost any reasonable field is usually enough to obtain a PhD. Pardon my skepticism, but I wonder a bit about the quality of the work, given that the volume is so high. In certain fields, everyone has enormous amounts of papers, and they use other criterion to figure out who is performing and who isn't (namely quality of work.)
As I said, one can avoid this issue by having two separate versions. I usually tex up a draft to which I retain copyright. I take this draft and put it into the journal's format. It is only this 2nd document to which I give up copyright.
I have only one journal paper to my name. It is in a pretty good journal. However, I won't say the name of it, as this combined with some others things I've written here will reveal a bit too much personal information about me.

You do not know my qualification; forget about what we all claim here. I will not reveal much too about myself. No. it is difficult working in an interdisciplinary field that combines Chemistry, Biology, Environmental science and bioengineering. You will have to be able to talk to any audience in all the areas that make up your inter-discipline.

If you have 2 versions of the same data, with the purpose of publishing it again later, even if modified to obfuscate the truth, that is simply unethical and is the reason why publishers ask if the work you submitted is in consideration for publication in another journal. You should be able to say th ename of the journal you have published in. There is no way one will know you from that because there are thousands of other authors in any one journal. You are also not giving the date of publication and title of your paper. So no need to fear.

You can visit Environmental Science and Technology (ES&T) journal website http://pubs.acs.org/journal/esthag or Journal of Hazardous Materials website http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/502691/description#description and even Environmental Microbiology journal site where I have published some of my biological findings http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1462-2912 to get a glimpse of the type of stuff they publish.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 6:53am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

You do not know my qualification; forget about what we all claim here. I will not reveal much too about myself. No. it is difficult working in an interdisciplinary field that combines Chemistry, Biology, Environmental science and bioengineering. You will have to be able to talk to any audience in all the areas that make up your inter-discipline.
How far along are you in your program? How many years does your PhD program take, and how many years progress do those 20 first-author journal papers represent? That will be a better judge of the value of your work so far, I suspect. If it is a six year program and everyone by their third year has 20 first-author journals, then your earlier statement doesn't mean very much.

If you have 2 versions of the same data, with the purpose of publishing it again later, even if modified to obfuscate the truth, that is simply unethical and is the reason why publishers ask if the work you submitted is in consideration for publication in another journal.
The purpose is not to publish again a a journal. You might submit it for your masters or PhD thesis, for example. Or an expanded version as a book or book chapter.
Also, I'm not some sort of biological scientist. The data doesn't matter in my line of work, lemmas and theorems do. Though you usually do some simulations/experiments to demonstrate that your theory is practical. In any case, Google around a bit, look at the pages of mathematicians/statisticians/computer science/certain areas of engineering. Usually you can find a copy of a paper both on the author's site and that of the journal.

You should be able to say th ename of the journal you have published in. There is no way one will know you from that because there are thousands of other authors in any one journal. You are also not giving the date of publication and title of your paper. So no need to fear.
Nah, my name is a bit too unique within this field. I'll pass.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 6:58am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

How far along are you in your program? How many years does your PhD program take, and how many years progress do those 20 first-author journal papers represent? That will be a better judge of the value of your work so far, I suspect. If it is a six year program and everyone by their third year has 20 first-author journals, then your earlier statement doesn't mean very much.
The purpose is not to publish again a a journal. You might submit it for your masters or PhD thesis, for example. Or an expanded version as a book or book chapter.
Also, I'm not some sort of biological scientist. The data doesn't matter in my line of work, lemmas and theorems do. Though you usually do some simulations/experiments to demonstrate that your theory is practical. In any case, Google around a bit, look at the pages of mathematicians/statisticians/computer science/certain areas of engineering. Usually you can find a copy of a paper both on the author's site and that of the journal.
Nah, my name is a bit too unique within this field. I'll pass.

Who told you I have anything to do with a PhD studentship at the moment? Now you are prodding to know more. Sorry that is as far as you get.

Your name cannot be unique in any reasonable field if you have published only one paper in a journal. No date of pub, title of paper or any sort is being asked for. Really I do not care. Thanks.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by DapoBear(m): 7:38am On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Who told you I have anything to do with a PhD studentship at the moment? Now you are prodding to know more. Sorry that is as far as you get.
Eh, 20 journal publications before entering a PhD program suggests either genius, or low quality work.

igbobuigbo:

Really I do not care. Thanks.
Not a problem, any time.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by stranger: 7:43am On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

Eh, 20 journal publications before entering a PhD program suggests either genius, or low quality work.
Not a problem, any time.

Igbobuigbo is Ibo, what do you expect
He is lying.
He has no idea the kind of hardwork that goes into publishing just one paper.

He is all fraud, all lies, all braggadocio.
Nothing of substance in him.

By thier posts we shall know them!
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by PhysicsQED(m): 1:04pm On Dec 05, 2010
lol@ this thread degenerating into something completely different from what it was originally about

Anyways, nothing in this book is actually of any significance as far as real science is concerned as is patently clear from the chapter abstracts, just economics, technology diffusion, policy, etc. . . .so in addition to the award having little significance, the actual material in the chapters is of little significance. . .

20 papers & no Ph.D, nor years of enrollment in a progam? The only time I ever see stuff like that is when somebody is in research group as an affiliate working under some experimental HEP guy and publishing papers as part of a large group, but there was clear mention of some sort of environmental bio area instead. Also, being a reviewer for some journal with no Ph.D kind of implies  low impact, low repute journal (not as a rule, but in general). Not trying to start anything, just that the whole thing seems spotty.

As for the actual guy (Ndubuisi Ekekwe) being referred to as the brain box (he's not from Anambra though, lol) although the award being talked about in this thread is insignificant, he is a rising research engineer and technology advocate, he was a TED fellow and has even founded his own institute (see http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/next/archives/2010/02/introducing_ted_22.html) to diffuse new technologies into African economies, which is very commendable.

The one thing I don't particularly get is the point of 4 masters and 2 doctorates. What's the purpose exactly? Jack Kilby never bothered to get one Ph.D
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by PhysicsQED(m): 4:34pm On Dec 05, 2010
This Ekekwe may start making waves and headlines now- maybe because he knows he can't afford not to do something substantial now after getting so many degrees, but I don't think spending so much time getting so many degrees is that smart. Then again it may pay off. The combination of business knowledge at the highest level with engineering knowledge at a high level is no doubt a powerful advantage for en entrepeneur.

He's isn't young- he got a collegiate business scholarship in 1978 according to this (http://www.ted.com/profiles/bio/id/373125)  profile, got his bachelors in engineering in 1998,  and he got his second doctorate (the one in engineering) only in 2009. So he's probably around 50.

Normally I would assume that he was doing something in between the business stuff he was studying in the late 70s and the engineering stuff he went for in the 90s and from that TED profile it mentions a banking job. From going the full length (bachelors->master's->doctorate) in two different courses one course after the other rather than simultaneously, I think it's completely reasonably to estimate that this man spent more than 20 years amassing degrees!   grin

So as far as him being the most educated Nigerian, he might technically have the most degrees, but his choice here, to spend over a decade getting business degrees and then afterward spend over a decade getting engineering degrees is just not a strategy most people would follow because of the financial cost and time spent. His choice to actually do so would  easily explain why he is so far ahead of the pack in degrees- most people would just achieve without feeling the need to rack up so many graduate degrees. cool

When many of those degrees might be in business, as his past history (business scholarship, banking job, M.B.A.), suggests, I would disagree with the idea of him being the most educated Nigerian  because that (business) isn't exactly what I think of as an education. But maybe I'm too biased on that. Until he actually lists what area these degrees are in, everything seems to suggest his earlier degrees were in business before he started engineering in the 90s. I would then conclude that he has just a bachelor's, master's and Ph.D in engineering, but the rest is probably various areas of business or related subjects.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 4:49pm On Dec 05, 2010
DapoBear:

Not a problem, any time.

Straight-jacketed type of reasoning. The statement 'Who told you I have anything to do with a Ph.D studentship at the moment'' could mean I have a Ph.D already and so not involved in getting one now. So do you even know if I have my Ph.D already? Remember I told you you always talk before thinking? Remember I told you you always generalize, remember I told you to be patient with yourself? lol. I even gave you e.g. of journals that I have published in. Did you bother to check their impact factor and compare them to related journals or perhaps you do not know what to do.

You are so fixated that you do not even know that genuises with MS degrees are actually faculty members in some top-notch unis and as such may have even far more than 20 papers without a Ph.D degree. Anyways, what do you expect from a mediocre student who managed to publish just one paper and wants to lecture a giant in scientific publishing.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:03pm On Dec 05, 2010
PhysicsQED:

This Ekekwe may start making waves and headlines now- maybe because he knows he can't afford not to do something substantial now after getting so many degrees, but I don't think spending so much time getting so many degrees is that smart. Then again it may pay off. The combination of business knowledge at the highest level with engineering knowledge at a high level is no doubt a powerful advantage for en entrepeneur.

He's isn't young- he got a collegiate business scholarship in 1978 according to this (http://www.ted.com/profiles/bio/id/373125)  profile, got his bachelors in engineering in 1998,  and he got his second doctorate (the one in engineering) only in 2009. So he's probably around 50.

Normally I would assume that he was doing something in between the business stuff he was studying in the late 70s and the engineering stuff he went for in the 90s and from that TED profile it mentions a banking job. From going the full length (bachelors->master's->doctorate) in two different courses one course after the other rather than simultaneously, I think it's completely reasonably to estimate that this man spent more than 20 years amassing degrees!   grin

So as far as him being the most educated Nigerian, he might technically have the most degrees, but his choice here, to spend over a decade getting business degrees and then afterward spend over a decade getting engineering degrees is just not a strategy most people would follow because of the financial cost and time spent. His choice to actually do so would  easily explain why he is so far ahead of the pack in degrees- most people would just achieve without feeling the need to rack up so many graduate degrees. cool

When many of those degrees might be in business, as his past history (business scholarship, banking job, M.B.A.), suggests, I would disagree with the idea of him being the most educated Nigerian  because that (business) isn't exactly what I think of as an education. But maybe I'm too biased on that. Until he actually lists what area these degrees are in, everything seems to suggest his earlier degrees were in business before he started engineering in the 90s. I would then conclude that he has just a bachelor's, master's and Ph.D in engineering, but the rest is probably various areas of business or related subjects.

So where did you read anything about him obtaining degrees earlier than 1998? How do you give him an age when you do not know anything about him? Why not educate yourself a bit more here http://naijatechtalk./2009/02/20/how-to-develop-africas-infotech-policy-by-ndubuisi-ekekwe/
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:06pm On Dec 05, 2010
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 5:11pm On Dec 05, 2010
stranger:

Igbobuigbo is Ibo, what do you expect
He is lying.
He has no idea the kind of hardwork that goes into publishing just one paper.

He is all fraud, all lies, all braggadocio.
Nothing of substance in him.

By thier posts we shall know them!

If by their posts we know them, then you must be in the bottom rung of the ladder (of anything you are involved in) on the basis of your posts.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by PhysicsQED(m): 6:09pm On Dec 05, 2010
igbobuigbo:

So where did you read anything about him obtaining degrees earlier than 1998? How do you gave him an age when you do not know anything about him? Why not educate yourself a bit more here http://naijatechtalk./2009/02/20/how-to-develop-africas-infotech-policy-by-ndubuisi-ekekwe/

Hmmmm, well then the information he or someone else supplied to the TED conferences about a scholarship in 1978 would be wrong then. It also mentions him being an adjunct professor at Babcock university but the website doesn't list him in the faculty so it's certainly possible the TED site just has a bad profile of him. On that same site it says he was the youngest scholar to deliver a lecture at FUT Owerri, but talks about a 1978 scholarship, which seems like a clear contradiction.

The specific scholarship mentioned with the date of 1978 in parentheses is not a pre-collegiate scholarship ("Ex-Ed" is executive education). Even if it were somehow actually a non-collegiate scholarship, it would still imply a much greater age for Ekekwe.

I readily admit that the information could be wrong but let's take this step by step. He certainly doesn't look 50, so I may have completely misinterpreted the information supplied by TED, but there are other things which made me not certain that his first degree was in 1998.

If I were assume a scenario where the gets the Bsc in engineering in 1998, and proceeds to  get 4 masters in two different countries (two universities in Nigeria- University of Calabar and FUT Akure, two universities in America- Tuskegee University and Johns Hopkins) then get two Ph.Ds  in two different countries (one univeristy in Turks and Caicos Islands- St. Clements University,one university in America- Johns Hopkins) the only way he will get 6 degrees in 11 years is if he does some of them simultaneously. However, if he does there are three countries involved, so it is a question of whether he can obtain the degrees online somehow which I don't see happening for a reputable graduate program. My main doubt was about the two doctorates being earned in that same time frame of 11 years. However the question has since been resolved for me looking at the link you posted.

Now one of the comments on the very page you linked me to said

"This guy is definitely genuine. But I am disappointed to know that he got a DBA degree from Clemen’s University. That is unacceptable. It cast a cloud of doubt over his achievements. I think he needs to get rid of that from his resume. That is no school, it is a virtual “degree mill”."- R.Smith

So we can negate any time necessary to obtain the St. Clements "doctorate" as that could maybe be earned in a couple of weeks or something.

Now assuming he can get each masters in one year (which is a bit of a stretch actually, because usually the MBA part of the B.sc engineering+MBA combo usually  takes more than one year and then there is the issue of whether he really could do each of the other three masters in 1 year rather than 2 years, but let's just assume the most optimistic situation). That would mean 4 years to get those masters from those 4 institutions. So from our 11 years between 1998 and 2009 (when he got the Johns Hopkins Ph.D), we would have a whole 7 years left. Certainly that's more than enough time to get get the Johns Hopkins engineering Ph.D and could possibly be enough time for two doctorates if they were obtained in a 2-5 or 3-4  or some other combination of years. The problem arises when one considers

a) working at diamond bank

b) working for NNPC

However, these could have happened while in Akure and then Calabar getting a master's.

So, working backwards then we can conclude:

Ph.D - Johns Hopkins
MSE- Johns Hopkins
MS- Tuskegee

The "doctorate" from St. Clements could come at any time

MTech-FUT Akure
MBA- University of Calabar

B. Eng.- FUT Owerri

So it's certainly plausible that he could have gotten the B.sc engineering and then worked for NNPC and Diamond Bank while doing so after getting his first degree in 1998.

I do wish he would have listed dates, though, as that would have made things a whole lot easier for anybody to verify. Then again, the guy has his own companies and his own institute now, so he won't have to answer to anybody or tender a CV. If there is misinformation out there, as this TED stuff about a 1978 scholarship might be, it should be cleaned up and sorted out or properly explained so that his shine is not diminished.
Re: Brain Box Of Nigeria Wins International Book Award by igbobuigbo: 6:51pm On Dec 05, 2010

(1) (2) (Reply)

Magnus Kpakol And The Keke Napep Scam / Ondo Discovers 14,000 Multiple Registration / Is Nigeria This Rich?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.