Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria (371790 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / What Is The Cost Of Building A 4 Flat House In Ikorodu / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 10:34pm On Aug 26, 2010
hello, pls can anybody give me an idea of how much it will cost to build a four flat of 3br, each flat insuit. the location is ikorodu. thanks.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by ceasyc(f): 5:50am On Aug 27, 2010
pls how much to roof (wood n all) a house/flat that has 2 three bedroom flat inside? kindly elaborate or gimme a rough idea. wetin dem dey call dem kind hse or flat sef?  undecided ta
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Aventures(m): 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2010
@ bukata Lag, to build a block of four 3-bedroom flat in Ikorodu will cost you around 20 million for a low taste finished ND Btw 22 - 24million for an average tasteful finishing
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 11:43pm On Aug 28, 2010
thanks Aventures, but y is it so expensive to build 4flat? secondly do you av any idea of how much they rent 3br flat insuit in ikorodu?
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Aventures(m): 12:27am On Aug 29, 2010
bukata lag:

thanks Aventures, but y is it so expensive to build 4flat? secondly do you av any idea of how much they rent 3br flat insuit in ikorodu?
four flat is quite expensive infact more than a detach 5 bedroom duplex, except where the finishings determines the final cost. But to be realistic without knowing some fact such complete archi drawing, structural drawing, location and finishing specification all these are needed to prepare a comprehensive Bill of quantity, no one can be anywhere close to the cost of completing a particular building. Meanwhile 3 bedroom flat in ikorodu ranges from 200k/yr to 250k/yr depending on location.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by ma201bj: 8:15am On Aug 29, 2010
hello nairalander, does anyone have an idea of how much it will cost to build a 5bedroom duplex in eputu ajah, pls i need your urgent reply
Thanks
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by james1(m): 11:13am On Aug 29, 2010
@poster.a property(house)is a very sure investment,anywhere in the world.in Nigeria it is even better;rent is guranteed,especially in lagos(anywhere in lagos)
Pls build your house,bit by bit but build it.it will add to your networth heavily in years to come.when I knew about sangotedo 14 year's ago,it was all bush(the land holders are begging visitor's to buy for unbelievably cheap rates)and today?plot sell for 2.5m,standard flats rent for 300k upwards p.a.
If your land don't have governor's consent and C of O,try to get now if you can or later but get it(it adds super value to your property and of course,you can use for bank transaction)it is not very costly in the sangotedo area.though I advise you build your house first.
@Promise.weldone!
(I have never looked in this thread before)
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by JesusloveU: 4:38pm On Aug 29, 2010
Depending on where you are building your house.I used 2.6 million naira to finish first flour in the village,including decking and contractor fee.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Aventures(m): 5:23pm On Aug 29, 2010
JesusloveU:

Depending on where you are building your house.I used 2.6 million naira to finish first flour in the village,including decking and contractor fee.

May be you are not talking about four flat of three bedroom flat, but if so pls do not live in that house i am a structural engineer /Builder and i am so sure that it is absolute impossible in these recent time to build 4-flat foundation, german floor, columns l& intels, decking for 2.6 million except u re talking of a house built in 80s. please let us be realistic.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by JesusloveU: 5:30pm On Aug 29, 2010
Adventures

I am realistic here.The house is 2 store-building,i used 2.6 million for the down flour,4 rooms,1 paulor,1 dinning room,1 toilet,1 bathroom 1 kitchen and with decking.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 5:59pm On Aug 29, 2010
@ Aventures thanx 4 ur gud response and explanation.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by Aventures(m): 9:50pm On Aug 29, 2010
@ Jesus loves me (LoL) smiley thank u for taking my response with a high level of maturity. Others cuould have flared up that i am doubting thrie statement. I believe that we are all here to exchange ideas and infos. From ur response i can deduced that the bldg u re talking abt is not a block of four flat (if i am wrong pls correct me) i think it is a block of two flats (one down one up) and also such bldg may not have a german floor, a shallow fdn (village soil condition might be a very firm one) there could be a very cheap labor but poor workmanship output, then if i am right then i will quite agree wt cost u mentioned.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 10:14pm On Aug 29, 2010
@ Aventure
I agree with you totally that 2.6M will not complete the ground floor of a single storey two flats house including a deck.
My past experiences have shown it's simply impossible, unless a lot of short cuts have been taken. These short cuts may include but not limited to:
Foundation without german floor, use of gravel (instead of granite) for the lintel and deck work and perhaps free labour.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by ceasyc(f): 11:17pm On Aug 29, 2010
JesusloveU:

Adventures

I am realistic here.The house is 2 store-building,i used 2.6 million for the down flour,4 rooms,1 paulor,1 dinning room,1 toilet,1 bathroom 1 kitchen and with decking.

Aventures:

@ Jesus loves me (LoL) smiley thank u for taking my response with a high level of maturity. Others cuould have flared up that i am doubting thrie statement. I believe that we are all here to exchange ideas and infos. From your response i can deduced that the bldg u re talking abt is not a block of four flat (if i am wrong pls correct me) i think it is a block of two flats (one down one up) and also such bldg may not have a german floor, a shallow fdn (village soil condition might be a very firm one) there could be a very cheap labor but poor workmanship output, then if i am right then i will quite agree wt cost u mentioned.

jeez dats cheap! i was gonna tell him to hook me up. cos according 2 my cuz who is building hers, she said a 4 flat house (2 flat upstairs n 2 flat down): d bottom one alone + lintel minus decking cost over 2million naira. she doesnt want to deck it no more cos its bcuming 2 expensive 4 her to build. thats y i asked d question above: how much to roof it? any ideas any1?
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by JesusloveU: 7:48am On Aug 30, 2010
Adventures

Thanks for your reply.Actually i wouldn't say it's cheap because the first contractor charge me (900,000.00 fee excluding materials )he will build from german floor to decking but i refused.The second contractor charge me less becuase of my Mom influence,he charge (400,000.00 fee excluding materials)from german floor to decking.Thank you.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 7:53pm On Aug 30, 2010
bukata lag:

hello, pls can anybody give me an idea of how much it will cost to build a four flat of 3br, each flat insuit. the location is ikorodu. thanks.

@ bukata
To build a 4 flats 3 BDR per flat with each BR en-suite, you will need somewher between 15M to 25M depending on your taste (vis-a-vis finishings etc), size of house, quality of the materials you intend to use, the market niche you are targeting and location of your plot. Please note that the figures given do not include the cost of the land. My experience has shown that you will get in returns the value of what you invest in the project.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 8:10pm On Aug 30, 2010
ceasyc:

jeez dats cheap! i was gonna tell him to hook me up. cos according 2 my cuz who is building hers, she said a 4 flat house (2 flat upstairs n 2 flat down): d bottom one alone + lintel minus decking cost over 2million naira. she doesnt want to deck it no more cos its bcuming 2 expensive 4 her to build. thats y i asked d question above: how much to roof it? any ideas any1?
@ceasyc
I do not know where your cuz is building hers, but I can confirm she's fairing well based on my experience. I'm currently working on my second project and it's cost me roughly 6.1M (excluding cost of land) from foundation to deck. Currently almost at the lintel of the top floor.
The fact is that the cost of labour across the country is almost constant in the large cities.
A break down of my costs include:
Clearing and prep work:                                                      ~ 500k
Foundation including german floor:                                 ~ 1.6M
Ground floor Block including lintel and columns:          ~ 1.3M
Deck materials and labour:                                              ~ 2.7M
(total surface area of the deck is approx. 40ft by 100 ft i.e. 4000 sqft)

As stated above, this is my second attempt and the current figures are close to the costs on the first project (despite a 2 years lull in between) and hence I'm able to track my costs and project ahead for the next stage of the project.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by ceasyc(f): 8:24pm On Aug 30, 2010
9ijaMan:

@ceasyc
I do not know where your cuz is building hers, but I can confirm she's fairing well based on my experience. I'm currently working on my second project and it's cost me roughly 6.1M (excluding cost of land) from foundation to deck. Currently almost at the lintel of the top floor.
The fact is that the cost of labour across the country is almost constant in the large cities.
A break down of my costs include:
Clearing and prep work: ~ 500k
Foundation including german floor: ~ 1.6M
Ground floor Block including lintel and columns: ~ 1.3M
Deck materials and labour: ~ 2.7M
(total surface area of the deck is approx. 40ft by 100 ft i.e. 4000 sqft)

As stated above, this is my second attempt and the current figures are close to the costs on the first project (despite a 2 years lull in between) and hence I'm able to track my costs and project ahead for the next stage of the project.

thx i'll let her no. hers was from foundation to lintel excluding price of land too
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 4:16am On Aug 31, 2010
@ 9ijaMan thx, pls do u knw how much it will cost 4 decking of 2flats of 3br each all ensuit, location igbogbo ikorodu lagos.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 12:21pm On Aug 31, 2010
bukata lag:

@ 9ijaMan thx,  pls do u knw how much it will cost 4 decking of 2flats of 3br each all ensuit, location igbogbo ikorodu lagos.

@ bukata,
It really depends on a number of factors: total surface area of your planned deck is however the major factor. There is also the issue of taste and need to abide by required rules and regulations.
However, in my own case, I spent roughly 2.7M to deck my current project (it consists of two flats 3BDR all en-suite on the ground). House size is ~ 40ft (12.25m) by 100ft (30.4m). The deck work is a bit on the upside 'cos I made the 6" deck to sit atop a 9" beam (which runs around the perimeter of the house). The casting of the beam and deck were done together.

If you also have two flats on the ground floor, then you should be prepared to shell out 2.5M. However, if you have just one flat on the ground floor, then I'd say 1.5M should tidy up your deck work.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 12:04am On Sep 01, 2010
thx 9ijaMan, my frnd just finish his and he said it cost him around 3.8m just for decking, and the size of the deckn is approximately same size wit urs, am guessing his uncle scamm him den, cos his out of the country and his uncle is the one doing the project for him. any advice u can give on dis project will be highly welcome and appreciate. thx again.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 3:47am On Sep 01, 2010
bukata lag:

thx 9ijaMan, my frnd just finish his and he said it cost him around 3.8m just for decking, and the size of the deckn is approximately same size wit urs, am guessing his uncle scamm him den, cos his out of the country and his uncle is the one doing the project for him. any advice u can give on dis project will be highly welcome and appreciate. thx again.

@ bukata,
I may not want to conclude so fast that your friend got scammed. You'll need to have a full breakdown to see where the problem was. My project is not in Lagos, but I found out that cost of materials in Lagos are a lot cheaper than where I have my building. However, relatively higher cost of labour in Lagos offsets the benefits one gets from cheaper materials. Invariably, cost of construction should be within a +/- 10% difference range.
I'm also residing outside 9ja, but I'm practically monitoring every single step taken all the way. I have a friend who's a building expert and he gets paid for rendering his services. In my first project, I paid him monthly for the 18 months the project lasted. In the second one, I'm simply paying him to monitor critical aspects of the project, such as foundation, DPC, lintel & deck work, and he'll also be around to witness the finishing.
In a nut shell to cut costs you'll have to be actively involved in the project. On some days I make up to ten calls to 9ja, talking to every single lead labourer working on my site. I source for at least two different quotations before I make a purchase of any material and also ensure I bargain hard with a labourer before concluding to award any job out. Today, I know every single lead labourer who works on my site (mason or brick layer, iron bender, carpenter, plumber, electrician etc). My kid brother, who's just concluding his first degree in the Uni handles the finances and he also gives me regular progress reports including sending pixes of the current status of the house.

I only pay for labour work, as almost every single material is sourced by me. I get the specs required from the labourer (including prices), have my site engineer vet the required specs (he also gives his own prices), then I proceed to purchase the materials (sometimes after asking my brother to verify the prices). Please note that the labourer is always carried along in all this. I always tell them to give me two quotations: labour only and labour + materials. Often times labour only turns out a lot cheaper.

My simple philosophy is this: If I spend so much time working (for someone else) and saving up to start a project, I must find time (however little), to regularly follow up on the progress of work done.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 4:55am On Sep 01, 2010
9ijaMan i must say a very big thx 2 u 4 d reply, at dis point i dont think ders anitin he cud do abt d money spent on d decking. here is where he said his gonna need some advice and guildlines from u: how much it will cost 2 plaster the 4flat both in and out, cost of roofing using nice longspan (excluding the woods), cost of labor 4 d carpenter that will set up the roofn woods. thanks
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2010
pls if u have any idea or answer to my last post qstn pls respond, thanks.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 12:14pm On Sep 04, 2010
bukata lag:

9ijaMan i must say a very big thx 2 u 4 d reply, at dis point i dont think ders anitin he cud do abt d money spent on d decking. here is where he said his gonna need some advice and guildlines from u: how much it will cost 2 plaster the 4flat both in and out, cost of roofing using nice longspan (excluding the woods), cost of labor 4 d carpenter that will set up the roofn woods. thanks

@ Bukata,
I should start charging you some fees for consultation grin !
To plaster the 4 flats, he'll need roughly 1M to 1.3M, this depends on the size of the house. The figure includes the cost of labour and materials (cement, sand and scaffolding). As per the roof, you may have to budget 1.5M for longspan aluminum sheets (including cost of wood). You should however be able to get the roofing sheets cheaper in Lagos. In my own case, I gave the roofing and ceiling labour work in a lump sum. I'm planning to use asbestos for the ceiling.  For my current project, it'll billed to be around 100K.
I hope you get a clearer glimpse by now!
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by jot01(m): 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2010
I really do understand and like everyone comments and suggestion, i can see we are all talking from experience.

Am undergoing a project back home presently.

its a 3bedroom En-suite Bungalow and the Project is at the Lintel Level and total spent on it right now is 2.5m. Location : Ibadan

Can anyone tell me how much it might cost to get the Lintel done and also the Roofing?

Roughly how much do you think it might need more to complete the Project.

Please respond Guys.

Cheers
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by bukatalag: 10:57pm On Sep 04, 2010
9ijaMan u are d best, my frnd rily appreciate, he shud b sending u ur pay check soon smiley wink, pls apart from abestos, which oda forms of ceiling wud u advice and whats d price range?, thanks
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by DisGuy: 5:08am On Sep 05, 2010
Thought asbestos has been banned? no
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2010
jot01:

I really do understand and like everyone comments and suggestion, i can see we are all talking from experience.

Am undergoing a project back home presently.

its a 3bedroom En-suite  Bungalow and the Project is at the Lintel Level and total spent on it right now is 2.5m.  Location : Ibadan

Can anyone tell me how much it might cost to get the Lintel done and also the Roofing?

Roughly how much do you think it might need more to complete the Project.

Please respond Guys.

Cheers

@jot01,
I can tell you are fairing well with your project. I'll assume the house is a sizable one considering the amount you have spent to take it to lintel level. The cost of your lintel depends largely on the size of the house, and the number of doors/windows and other openings. Are you also planning to have concrete columns (even though it's a bungalow?
In any case, you can put aside roughly 200K to 500K to tidy up your lintel work.

bukata lag:

9ijaMan u are d best,  my frnd rily appreciate, he shud b sending u your pay check soon smiley wink,  pls apart from abestos, which oda forms of ceiling wud u advice and whats d price range?,  thanks

@ bukata lag,
Asbestos are the cheapest for ceiling, to the best of my knowledge. I am however aware of the health implications of using Asbestors, but 9ja government is yet to ban the product. Other material include (but not limited to: plywood (cost will depend on you choice of wood and design taste); hanging ceiling (I think materials include some plastics and thin metals); and POP.
I've not used any of these, but my findings show that I can use some factors to estimate the costs for these other materials. Besides I've also changed my mind from Asbestors to plywood for my current project. Below are my findings
Asbestors Ceiling: roughly 350k for labour & materials. You'll need another 50K to 75K to buy white paint and also pay for the painter's labour work. (total 400 to 425K).
Plywood: roughly 1.25 to 2.5 times the cost of Asbestos ceiling (depending on finishing taste.
Hanging ceiling: 1.5 to 3 times (or higher) the cost of Asbestors ceiling (also depends on taste and your pocket size)
POP: Often twice or more the cost of Asbestors.
The choice is yours, !

Dis Guy:

Thought asbestos has been banned? no
Not in 9ja, to the best of my knowledge. I always go for the Nigerite product, which seems to be the best quality and most expensive. I'm also quite aware of the health implications.
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by jot01(m): 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2010
@ 9ijaman, thnkx so much for your help.

is that quotation for lintel and roofing ,

if thats only for lintel how much do you think the roofing will cost.

thanks for your help nd understanding.

cheers
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by etegs(m): 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2010
Guy i beg shey you fit help me with MTN and ZAIN free browsing i beg i really need am ganni dey look for am if you can help me arrange it just send it down to etegs@yahoo.com or check me on facebook @ etegs@yahoo.com , i will be waiting for your reply thanks bro
Re: Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria by 9ijaMan: 1:28am On Sep 06, 2010
jot01:

@ 9ijaman, thnkx so much for your help.

is that quotation for lintel and roofing ,

if thats only for lintel how much do you think the roofing will cost.

thanks for your help nd understanding.

cheers

@ jot1,
The figures are meant for lintel only. Depending on your taste, roofing your bungalow should be within the range of 350k to 1M.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

BRICKS,BRICK,BRICK TILES,BURNT BRICKS,RED BRICKS,FOR SALE IN NIGERIA. ✯✯✯✯✯ ☸☸ / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex / Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.