Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained (38089 Views)

Regina Fani-Kayode: I’m Still Married To Fani-Kayode / Kogi Guber: David Jemibewon Denies Endorsing Yahaya Bello’s Re-Election Bid / 2019: Why Ex-generals Oppose Buhari – Gen. Jemibewon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by sarrki(m): 12:28am On Feb 29, 2020
Retired Major General David Jemibewon, a former military governor of Oyo State and ex-Minister of Police Affairs, discusses his childhood, profession, ideals, interests, war experience and others with SIMON UTEBOR

Having risen to become a Major General in the Nigerian Army, how would you describe your childhood?

I was born on July 20, 1940 in a place called Iyah-Gbedde in the Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State. My parents had five children. I am the first child, followed by a set of twins – a boy and a girl. The boy died and the girl survived. The boy’s immediate brother, Idowu, died two years ago. The last child of my mother, who is a woman, is alive. Only two of us are left.

Recently, I became an orphan. My father died some years ago while my mother died in 2016. I grew up as a young child in the village. Sometime during my childhood, my father sent me to his younger brother – my uncle, who was then working with United Africa Company in Burutu (in present Delta State). He was a technician working in a generators’ plant at the time.

What was it like growing up in Iyah-Gbedde and Burutu?

I started schooling in Burutu in 1949. I left our village in 1948 or thereabouts. There was not much life apart from village life – going to the farm, returning home, eating dinner and going to bed. It was a routine exercise every day until I was sent to my uncle in Burutu. I am grateful to God and to him, as it was there that I was sent to CMS Primary School, Burutu in 1949. However, something happened – I fell seriously ill. My uncle was scared that if I died, it would raise some problematic questions. He found a way to send me back to my parents. To be honest, I can’t say precisely how long I stayed in Burutu but I must have spent more than a year there.

Did you continue your education in the village?

After I left Burutu, I went home. When I got to the village, my parents took care of me. Thereafter, my father didn’t want me to go to school. But the headmaster in the primary school in our village, the late Ademola Fagbemi, convinced him and he agreed to send me to school. I went back to school in mid-1949. It was Native Authority Community School and we were only nine in class.

At what point did you join the army and what was your motivation for joining the force?

After graduating from Offa Grammar School, I worked briefly. In 1960, I joined the army.

Talking about my motivation to join the army; first, I didn’t like a sedentary occupation. I thought the army provided a good opportunity to avoid that. My determination was strong because I had a friend who was in the army. From the moment I was in Form 2, I used to visit him during my holidays. He was in 2nd Battalion in the Queen’s Own Nigerian Regiment (as the Army was called then). He was there at Lafenwa in Abeokuta. I liked the smartness of soldiers – they were disciplined. My friend was unmarried, but unmarried soldier could not have guests. As I got to Abeokuta, where to live was a problem. But luckily, he had a colleague who could live on his own. He pleaded with that colleague, Jackson Mgbanti, from Adamawa to host me. I stayed with Mgbanti. That also fuelled my ambition to join the army. Of course, while in secondary school, I was in Boy Scout. I led my ‘troops’ and we did it well. Therefore, there was already a kind of enthusiasm to show that I was equipped. That increased my interest in joining the army.

You are a former military governor of Western Region and Oyo State as well as Minister of Police Affairs, how have the experiences you had holding the positions helped in shaping you?

They were sources of good experience and I believe that I discharged the responsibility that was associated with those offices. However, one does not need to say certain things about oneself. But if one has the opportunity and one doesn’t say those things then, probably no one else will. I think I did well and succeeded. I was fair-minded and approached my responsibility seriously.

What were some of the things you did as a military governor?

Today, we read so much about corruption but since I left Oyo State, I have not read anywhere they associated my name with corruption. Also, I think I can honestly say with absolute pride that there is nowhere my name has been associated with bribery or whatever. I also want to believe the love the people of Oyo State have for me is genuine. Based on my assessment, they value me more than my state, perhaps. It is unfortunate that as I move forward, I am losing my close friends and associates that became close to me.

How do you think the corruption in Nigeria can be tackled?

I think principally, corruption is caused by greed. A lot of people who are found to be corrupt are people who are living comfortably. For some people, because we have different levels of corruption, it could be caused by poverty or laziness. Some people don’t want to work but want to live comfortably rich.

I think in fairness, it is being tackled, maybe not seriously enough. Government has put in place institutions to curb and investigate corruption. It can also be tackled through punishment and by educating people about the disadvantages and bad side of corruption (because it deprives the people the opportunity to develop). The commonwealth of people is being diverted by a few people. I think education also plays a significant role in tackling corruption.

Some people would expect that as someone who rose to the rank of a major general, one of your children should follow in your footsteps…

It must be their choice; it is as simple as that. In recent times when we sit down and joke, I understand when they make fun of me for the way they felt I harassed them. You will laugh if you see them doing that. Based on that, I am not too sure any of them would have gone close to the army. But they feel very proud of me because they believe Jemibewon is a good name. It is a valuable name and it shows in all the places they have been.

It is believed that behind every successful man is a woman, how did you meet your wife?

My first wife is dead. I have to make this clear. Again, when we talk about corruption, if you lie, it is called corruption. I met my wife, who passed away about four years ago, in Zaria. It is part of the lessons I have learnt in life. I told a lady, Dupe Otokhi, who has passed on now, that I needed a good woman to marry. Dupe was teaching in a primary school in Zaria then. I had returned from Congo and was transferred to Zaria. I told Dupe that some of my colleagues had girlfriends and that I came from the village. I told Dupe I wanted her to introduce a good girl to me.

She came later with this lady, Comfort, who later became my wife. We got married in 1965. My first child was born on May 11, 1966. I got married just before the Nigerian crisis started and had my first child during the crisis period. That is how we met. That is why I believe that anything anybody wants to do, if you put your heart to it and follow the right steps, you are likely to succeed. Today, people may disagree with me. When people talk of love, it depends on how you approach the relationship. I never knew her before we met. I only told her friend (Dupe) to give me a girlfriend that would continue to be mine and that was all. We coped well and we loved each other until she breathed her last in 2016.

There is also Dupe Jemibewon. We started as friends before I became governor in Oyo State. She is still my wife.

Many people believe that the police in Nigeria are corrupt. You are a one-time Minister of Police Affairs; do you agree with that assertion vis-à-vis the poor ratings of the police by local and international bodies?

I cannot say categorically that I believe the ratings or disbelieve them because I don’t know the criteria they used. As for the views of people regarding corruption in the police, I do not think that the police as an institution would have taken a position to say they have to be corrupt. Maybe it is the attitude of some personnel when put together that makes people to come to that conclusion. I am not too sure that random judgment without a scientific approach will be fair and correct. Therefore, I would not associate myself with that view.

What is your view on the current political situation in the country?

By my assessment today, we are in a very deep mess and I am very worried. I am not worried because of myself alone but for our children, children’s children as well as the future generations. We fought a civil war – it was an attempt to make the country a better place. We went from four regions to states but things seem to be getting worse politically. When we had four regions, the political competition was healthy. Each region fared well. Some villages had electricity and today, they are back in darkness. Some villages that had tap water now lack water

You fought during the Nigerian Civil War. In your own perspective, do you think the war was necessary?

Under what conditions can you say war is necessary or not? But looking at it today, one may think it was not necessary but we are saying so because that time is different from now. I think what we should do is to research into why there was a war. With that, we will be able to know what brought it about and try to guard against a repeat of the circumstances that triggered it.

What periods in your life would you describe as your saddest moments?

There are many but I can mention a few. Some of my sad moments can be related to the Nigerian Civil War. We were attacked at Nkalagu Cement factory area. We sent troops there to assess the situation and they went with railway car and after it was confirmed that the rebels were there, three days after, we sent troops there to clear them. But somehow, my soldiers went with the car without adequate security. They attacked and while trying to run away from there, they opened fire. Of course, when you get to such a situation, you find everything disorgansied. And so the local commander asked everybody to withdraw because it was not an organised withdrawal – there was a particular soldier who was shot and the bullet came out through another part – people did not know he was shot – they just thought he was lazy, that he was not fast and they abandoned him. I don’t like remembering that because I don’t think there is anything that pains me as much as that.

Also, my battalion was given the responsibility to capture Abakaliki. We camped there and my sector commander, the late Abisoye, came in company with Major General Muhammadu Buhari, to visit us. Buhari was commanding 2nd Battalion and I was commanding 27 Battalion. As they came to say hello to us, Abisoye decided to see the front troops. Abisoye was talking with one of the soldiers, who led security men (even within security, there was security). From nowhere, a bullet hit the soldier and killed him.

Also, from Abakaliki, we were advancing towards Afikpo, they (rebels) hid in the river. We crossed the river and ran into fire. We took cover, and one soldier was shot dead. I don’t like to remember all those things. Sometimes when politicians are saying they need war, they are talking rubbish. Whatever is the circumstance, war is basically not the option.

https://punchng.com/im-still-pained-when-i-remember-killings-during-biafra-war-jemibewon/

8 Likes

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Nobody: 12:32am On Feb 29, 2020
sarrki:

By my assessment today, we are in a very deep mess and I am very worried. I am not worried because of myself alone but for our children, children’s children as well as the future generations. We fought a civil war – it was an attempt to make the country a better place. We went from four regions to states but things seem to be getting worse politically. When we had four regions, the political competition was healthy. Each region fared well. Some villages had electricity and today, they are back in darkness. Some villages that had tap water now lack water

https://punchng.com/im-still-pained-when-i-remember-killings-during-biafra-war-jemibewon/

Naija situation!

[img]https://i./NWp.gif[/img]

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by NextD18: 12:32am On Feb 29, 2020
cheesy
Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by puremaker7(m): 12:41am On Feb 29, 2020
What is left after war is silence, The silence of the death; the silence of the debris; the silence of the birds! After war even the screams of sadness are silent because the pain is in the very depths of the soul!

23 Likes

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by MONIKERREVEALER: 12:48am On Feb 29, 2020
"We fought a civil war – it was an attempt to make the country a better place. We went from four regions to states but things seem to be getting worse politically." - Jemibewon

Afonjas can keep bringing up as many excuses as possible to convince themselves that they were right in joining the jihadists from the north to fight the christian biafrans who wanted to be free from the progrom loving shiithole they found themselves in during the war but payback is a biitch!!!

You guys MUST receive your due recompense soonest!!!

The north are just receiving the appetizer for their own wickedness, the main course is still on the way!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Zoo must fall!!!

219 Likes 22 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by helinues: 4:35am On Feb 29, 2020
The question is Have any of the party learnt their lesson from the civil war?

5 Likes

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by goodnessme1(f): 7:18am On Feb 29, 2020
The ZOO must go down.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by goodnessme1(f): 7:22am On Feb 29, 2020
Sonnyboom:
Foolish, senseless n cursed Igbos like the fool above will simply not cease talking like lunatics on NL.
But sophisticated morons,children of hate from sad waste are worst.

152 Likes 17 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by mrvitalis(m): 7:58am On Feb 29, 2020
helinues:
Igbo's need not learn much ...what we said then is what we are saying now

We made mistake agreeing to one Nigeria ...one Nigeria can't work ,we want to go and be on our own ...what's to difficult there

122 Likes 9 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by helinues: 8:02am On Feb 29, 2020
mrvitalis:

We made mistake agreeing to one Nigeria ...one Nigeria can't work ,we want to go and be on our own ...what's to difficult there

Your forefather, Azikwe rejected secession clause in the Constitution.

Probably you didn't know what you were saying the other time and still don't know what you are saying this time.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Paretomaster1(m): 8:21am On Feb 29, 2020
MONIKERREVEALER:
"We fought a civil war – it was an attempt to make the country a better place. We went from four regions to states but things seem to be getting worse politically." - Jemibewon

Afonjas can keep bringing up as many excuses as possible to convince themselves that they were right in joining the jihadists from the north to fight the christian biafrans who wanted to be free from the progrom loving shiithole they found themselves in during the war but payback is a biitch!!!

You guys MUST receive your due recompense soonest!!!

The north are just receiving the appetizer for their own wickedness, the main course is still on the way!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Zoo must fall!!!

You must b a f**l... The country would have been better off now if your forefathers self-centeredness haven't pushed them to that tribal, and unholy coup.

It was the same vague and imaginary suspicion of Islamisation that Pushed Nzeogwu, that your cohorts are still mutting....

Keep rejoicing......your cup will be full soon..

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Paretomaster1(m): 8:25am On Feb 29, 2020
helinues:

The only eediot left to learn their lesson r the same progenitors of the war....

By their fruit you shall know them, good news gives them heart attack, only bad news, and calamity makes them happy...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Paretomaster1(m): 8:32am On Feb 29, 2020
mrvitalis:

And who the heck is holding you from going? You don't have governors, reps, senators, and other govt representative?

You come and disturb the peace of the nation, you get dealt with.

You want to go yet you can't even stay In that your erosion ridden enclave........

If you are not Basta**s, pack your things and go back to the East today, but u can't, u cannot prosper without the "Zoo" and we can never let u eat your cake n still have it....

Remember how your elders were begging upandan when Yarima group gave ultimatum ? Your brothers were killing Northerners in the East, but they simply asked you to leave instead of retaliating......gerraheremehn

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Sokosuji: 8:40am On Feb 29, 2020
Crying more than the millipede that was stamped upon?
Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by mrvitalis(m): 8:58am On Feb 29, 2020
Paretomaster1:

And who the heck is holding you from going? You don't have governors, reps, senators, and other govt representative?

You come and disturb the peace of the nation, you get dealt with.

You want to go yet you can't even stay In that your erosion ridden enclave........

If you are not Basta**s, pack your things and go back to the East today, but u can't, u cannot prosper without the "Zoo" and we can never let u eat your cake n still have it....

Remember how your elders were begging upandan when Yarima group gave ultimatum ? Your brothers were killing Northerners in the East, but they simply asked you to leave instead of retaliating......gerraheremehn
Firstly who talked to you ? Who told u I'm not in the east ....what's even your problem with Igbo's

Get a life man

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by mrvitalis(m): 8:59am On Feb 29, 2020
helinues:

Your forefather, Azikwe rejected secession clause in the Constitution.

Probably you didn't know what you were saying the other time and still don't know what you are saying this time.
If u read my post u we see where I said we made mistake accepting one Nigeria

Is there anyone above mistake ?
Are your people enjoying one Nigeria ?

56 Likes 11 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by helinues: 9:04am On Feb 29, 2020
mrvitalis:

If u read my post u we see where I said we made mistake accepting one Nigeria

Is there anyone above mistake ?
Are your people enjoying one Nigeria ?

The mistake is costly to the extent that the dilplomatic way won't favour you people to leave Nigeria..

Na ordinary restructuring our reps and Senate's no fit pass, na referendum we con dey expect them.. I am not saying it is still not possible oo, but with the current structure of Nigeria, may be in 20 years time

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by iCauseTrouble: 9:29am On Feb 29, 2020
cool
Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by money121(m): 9:30am On Feb 29, 2020
Ok
Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by OnpointDesign(m): 9:30am On Feb 29, 2020
cry

Nwanna, oga dikwa nma.

1 Like

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by israelmao(m): 9:30am On Feb 29, 2020
The scars and relics of wickedness perpetrated against Igbo most especially the progom are still there till today even though was not born then.Some people watch history happen,some people make history while some hear and read about it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by RichDad1(m): 9:31am On Feb 29, 2020
Everything is fair in war.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by infini771: 9:32am On Feb 29, 2020
I pray that God will forgive Nigeria for all the atrocities she committed against Biafra

Benue helped Nigeria during the civil war, cutting open pregnant women to kill their baby. PAYBACK: HERDSMEN
They looted our food. PAYBACK: TODAY THEY ARE FOOD BASKET OF THE FOOD THEY DON'T EAT

Yoruba: Poisoned Biafran soldiers. PAYBACK: THEY ARE ALL SELLING MEDICINE

NIGERIA fired rockets on our market out of jealous. PAYBACK: ALMOST ALL MARKETS TODAY ARE ON FIRE.

Many Igbos we're killed in Abuja-Kaduna road. PAYBACK: THAT ROAD IS NOW THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH.

RESTRUCTURE TO AVOID WHAT IS COMING

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Gabbriell: 9:33am On Feb 29, 2020
Get your daily football predictions as well as expert tips on how to go about football betting on https://futbol.tips
Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by Destroyerofyeeb: 9:33am On Feb 29, 2020
The greediness of that flatheaded ass-kisser Nnamdi azikiwe that removed secession clause from the constitution which Awolowo rejected is coming back to bite his people in the ass now that they want to seccede. Awolowo warned these fools grin. It's funny how they like to point fingers at others rather than take responsibility for destroying Nigeria through their short sightedness and foolishness. In their small mind they thought by destroying the regional government they would control everybody not knowing the north was just looking at them while they were busy kissing fulani ass upandan and marginalizing yoruba people. Yoruba people have always warned about what would happen in the future but dumb hot-blooded easterners will never listen until they begin to perish

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained by lonelydora: 9:34am On Feb 29, 2020
Good morning to you all.

What Ojukwu saw sitting down, no afonja can see it even at the top of mount Everest.

31 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Desmond Elliot Distributes Items In Surulere (photos) / Ibim Semenitari Reacts To The "Invasion" Of Her Home By Rivers Govt Officials / 3 Basic Things Buhari Asked Me To Do At Customs – Hameed Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.