Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,421 members, 7,830,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? (48769 Views)

My Friend Is Currently Going Through A Divorce In UK &having A Hell Of A Time / US Man Going Through Divorce Crashes Dump Truck Into Wife's Home & Cars (Video) / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Slurity(m): 6:26am On Mar 21, 2020
yvelchstores:
Any one who didn't marry with the approval and blessing of the woman's father is not married. If the father is late, who ever that is next in line of authority must give her away to the man. If this is not the case, then the man stole the woman.
it is not fair not to think that the woman stole the man too
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by tonysky(m): 6:39am On Mar 21, 2020
They must finish what they started why did they start having kids whereas they know they re not compatible

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by cococandy(f): 6:42am On Mar 21, 2020
Cohabitating for a long number of years and having kids together is a domestic partnership. It’s not as easy to walk away from as many people would think. I don’t know about Nigeria, but in many countries there are required legal steps to follow to dissolve the partnership

3 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by sharone21(f): 6:46am On Mar 21, 2020
Mycommand:
Assuming you are referencing the way it is done in most western countries! When there is no legal document establishing marriage, there is nothing to dissolve. On the other hand, if one is to answer the question on the welfare of children, which the inquirer did talked about and for the clarity of others who commented on what to do with children! One, would be to find out if a father signed a government birth certificate affirming that he is the father of a child or children born in that relationship, if this is the case, the man is liable to providing financial support for the upkeep of the child or children as the case may be. Another, would be to pursue a "DNA" test to establish paternity if the man is challenging the need to provide financial support to the child or children born in the relationship or simply just denying fatherhood. If the man consent to a "DNA" test and paternity is established in 99.9% then he is liable for the financial support of the child or children. If paternity exonerates the alleged biological father of a child or any of the children, the man is not legally obligated to provide financial support. Case closed! Just my input!

Best response so far.

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 6:53am On Mar 21, 2020
UnknownQueen:

I'm presently going thru this...

We are married.... Registry, church traditional..

He wants me to pack and leave his house before or on March ending...

He said I can always come to check the kids, girl 5 years, boy 1 year 3 months.

He didn't talk about assets sharing.

He has a landed property and started work on it but not yet completed yet.
I invested almost 500k into the laundry business he has.... Bought Gen, geepee tank washing machine.... Irons, shop rent etc.

But he is asking me to leave just like that... If not he will cause a scene....

How do I go about this?

Go to the department of public defense. I know they have one in surulere near national stadium. State your case. Hope you also have roof that you paid him all that money for those things like receipts. Talk with a lawyer

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 6:57am On Mar 21, 2020
24kmagic:
But that guy is lucky sha.

I will be the happiest man in the world if I can be able to pull this kinda stunt...

Me na just 3 children I need.
I will need their mother for some few years before I boot her out.

I just need to double my hustle and get a nice place, every other thing will fall in place. Women no de use eye see young man weh get small change, their sense de off (no be say them First get the sense sef).

So help me God

What you sow you will reap. May some else do it also to your daughter.

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Donald7610: 6:58am On Mar 21, 2020
You can go to court for child custody
Which automatically belongs to the woman
The man has no right on the family

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Jakub1: 7:00am On Mar 21, 2020
[s]
OgunLaakaye:
You guys were never married but just fvck mate. Just walk out the same way you walked in.
[/s]
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Dchampion65: 7:03am On Mar 21, 2020
Please Forgive my Grammar.

A man and a woman living together as husband and wife with kid(s) but are not legally Married. That is, no Traditional or Court Wedding.

If one of them decides not interested in the Union, should he/she go to court before they are Separated?

They have kids. In other words there are years of cohabitation, any of them can approach CUSTOMARY COURT.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by saintruky(m): 7:10am On Mar 21, 2020
Remijuice:

A man and a woman living together as husband and wife with kid(s) but are not legally Married. That is, no Traditional or Court Wedding.

If one of them decides not interested in the Union, should he/she go to court before they are Separated?

Modified: If there is no Divorce Proceedings, what happens to the kids?

My brother why u wan quit d relationship n how many kids are we looking at?
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Neddyogu(m): 7:24am On Mar 21, 2020
Can there be a divorce where there was no marriage in the first place?
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by romenna: 7:31am On Mar 21, 2020
You cannot legalize illegality.
Your case will be thrown out of court.

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by petersfleming: 7:31am On Mar 21, 2020
Well you may be right logically, but that's not what the law say, the law matrimonial causes Act provides that two consenting adults can legally get married without the consent of their family members, and that married will be valid, so long they are adults and consent to do so.

yvelchstores:
Any one who didn't marry with the approval and blessing of the woman's father is not married. If the father is late, who ever that is next in line of authority must give her away to the man. If this is not the case, then the man stole the woman.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by AmuDimpka: 7:33am On Mar 21, 2020
Remijuice:

Modified: If there is no Divorce Proceedings, what happens to the kids?

They are not legally married and the kids are illegal kids ... They should go their separate ways no court things
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by AmazonHippolyta(f): 7:37am On Mar 21, 2020
UnknownQueen:

OK I will... By his grace...
Please do smiley
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by petersfleming: 7:46am On Mar 21, 2020
Your argument sound profound, however the court have pronounced in plethora of cases that there are never illegal children or children born out of wedlock as the children cannot be made to suffer for the deeds of their parents.

Your favorite lawyer

AmuDimpka:

They are not legally married and the kids are illegal kids ... They should go their separate ways no court things
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by AmazonHippolyta(f): 7:50am On Mar 21, 2020
Dizzyrascal:
you can't argue with facts
What fact?
In a statutory marriage do you think her father's permission is needed.That was then not now
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Purpleroxxy: 7:51am On Mar 21, 2020
24kmagic:
But that guy is lucky sha.

I will be the happiest man in the world if I can be able to pull this kinda stunt...

Me na just 3 children I need.
I will need their mother for some few years before I boot her out.

I just need to double my hustle and get a nice place, every other thing will fall in place. Women no de use eye see young man weh get small change, their sense de off (no be say them First get the sense sef).

You are a devil. Same thing happened to me. My husband married me then left me after bringing up flimsy excuses. In his case he is gay maybe you are gay too. Unfortunate beings
So help me God
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Orjitex15(m): 7:52am On Mar 21, 2020
From the first place they were not legally married as husband and wife, they were simply living together, they can choose to go separate ways when they are done.

By the way, girlfriends do put to bed for their boyfriends.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Observer1: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2020
yvelchstores:

Nonsense,that's not true,once you have two or more people as a witness to the officiation then you're married.

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by SUPERPACK: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2020
iswallker:

Stupid you.. Cohabitation is marriage under customary law. One of the parties must file for divorce in a magistrate court - especially when there is conflict on how they should separate or one party disagrees with the separation.. undecided
And you can't give your opinion without insults? 21st century Illiterate.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by nautybride: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2020
UnknownQueen:

We have not talked about this... I hope to discuss this with him tomorrow... But from his last statement... He only just said I can always come to visit the kids.
When a man wants you out, he will go to any length. Just make adequate preparations, before he is home a day. Pack all you can (including those things you bought with your money, resell them to make money or keep them for your comfort) and your children. An unknown location would be the best.. You should be financially capable though.

2 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by AmazonHippolyta(f): 7:56am On Mar 21, 2020
petersfleming:
Well you may be right logically, but that's not what the law say, the law matrimonial causes Act provides that two consenting adults can legally get married without the consent of their family members, and that married will be valid, so long they are adults and consent to do so.

Logically is not even the right word to use self.
But you are right.She is only right primitively
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by nick50(m): 8:05am On Mar 21, 2020
U don chop free puna finish u want run but remember ur daughters are growing up and one day someone else will get kids through them without getting married and after dump them...just pray that ur wife isn't from anambra if not u will loose all the kids to ur wife's family... Stupid man
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Xisnin(m): 8:51am On Mar 21, 2020
Snakedoctor1:
which law. There is presumption of cohabitation which works in times of civil liabilities of either party. This is not marriage under law.
It is a common law marriage.

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by victorazyvictor(m): 8:54am On Mar 21, 2020
NobleAngell:
And what about the man involved? What is he? Expensive?

grin u dey mind that mad man? grin

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Ladycewhy(f): 8:57am On Mar 21, 2020
Remijuice:

Ok
I think because of the welfare of the kids the Court now comes in
there is a department responsible for such cases , they call it welfare here don't know what other states call it .They are I charge of cases where there was no proper union and there is a kid (s) involved.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by safarigirl(f): 9:02am On Mar 21, 2020
DexterousOne:

WRONG

one who did not get married via the legal route (Civil or Customary) did not get married.

By 'approval of the father" she clearly means customary marriage (traditional), she is not wrong. Not at all
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by UnknownQueen(f): 9:02am On Mar 21, 2020
nautybride:

When a man wants you out, he will go to any length. Just make adequate preparations, before he is home a day. Pack all you can (including those things you bought with your money, resell them to make money or keep them for your comfort) and your children. An unknown location would be the best.. You should be financially capable though.

That's what I'm planning...he will be surprised what I'll leave behind.... May be he will come back to meet only buckets.... But I'm just afraid... What about the kids... I'm sure he won't attend to their needs again...
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by UnknownQueen(f): 9:03am On Mar 21, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
Go to the department of public defense. I know they have one in surulere near national stadium. State your case. Hope you also have roof that you paid him all that money for those things like receipts. Talk with a lawyer

I'm in
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by safarigirl(f): 9:03am On Mar 21, 2020
mcdokwe:
I might be wrong, but cohabiting in the eyes of the law is marriage, even a simple promise to marry is judicable.

You may only not need to go to the court if both can reach a binding and committed resolve to cater for the kids.

it is called marriage under commonlaw, especially where it has produced children. You cannot simply exclude the courts from the proceedings

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

After 21 Years In US, 9 Years In London, I Found Myself Under Oshodi Bridge / She Forgive Her Rapist But Cannot Forgive Her Husband. / Delta Man Cries Out For Help Over Wife Allegedly Assaulting Him Repeatedly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.