Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,376 members, 7,829,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? (48761 Views)

My Friend Is Currently Going Through A Divorce In UK &having A Hell Of A Time / US Man Going Through Divorce Crashes Dump Truck Into Wife's Home & Cars (Video) / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by NobleAngell(f): 9:11pm On Mar 20, 2020
24kmagic:
But that guy is lucky sha.

I will be the happiest man in the world if I can be able to pull this kinda stunt...

Me na just 3 children I need.
I will need their mother for some few years before I boot her out.

I just need to double my hustle and get a nice place, every other thing will fall in place. Women no de use eye see young man weh get small change, their sense de off (no be say them First get the sense sef).

So help me God
Mtchewwwww! May you jam the one that will chewing gum you.

7 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 20, 2020
You are not married in the eyes of the law, which means the law doesn't recognize cohabitation.

You should have thought of the kids though before bringing them into this world.

Now the kids are going to suffer for the thoughtlessness of their parents.

2 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Apination(m): 10:06pm On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:
Please Forgive my Grammar.

A man and a woman living together as husband and wife with kid(s) but are not legally Married. That is, no Traditional or Court Wedding.

If one of them decides not interested in the Union, should he/she go to court before they are Separated?

Modified: If there is no Divorce Proceedings, what happens to the kids?
There's no marriage to start with. Them just dey do bf and gf

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by DexterousOne(m): 10:10pm On Mar 20, 2020
yvelchstores:
Any one who didn't marry with the approval and blessing of the woman's father is not married. If the father is late, who ever that is next in line of authority must give her away to the man. If this is not the case, then the man stole the woman.

WRONG

one who did not get married via the legal route (Civil or Customary) did not get married.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Macadamemmy(m): 10:10pm On Mar 20, 2020
So funny... Buh fact
gouken2:
The way u entered into the union without involving anyone is the same way u can leave without involving anyone and trust me, no one will notice.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Pruwa: 10:11pm On Mar 20, 2020
there is no marriage at all
what happened between the two persons is cohabitation
so they can go their separate ways
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by staga: 10:11pm On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

A man and a woman living together as husband and wife with kid(s) but are not legally Married. That is, no Traditional or Court Wedding.

If one of them decides not interested in the Union, should he/she go to court before they are Separated?

Which one be dis? Is this a union? Taaaaa!
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by mcdokwe(m): 10:11pm On Mar 20, 2020
I might be wrong, but cohabiting in the eyes of the law is marriage, even a simple promise to marry is judicable.

You may only not need to go to the court if both can reach a binding and committed resolve to cater for the kids.

4 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by jidxin(m): 10:13pm On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

was there church wedding
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by KIDfurniture(m): 10:17pm On Mar 20, 2020
Game over... union don end be that..
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by manontree: 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2020
Dude there is a part of the law that won't allow you to freely dump her if that's what you are up to

When you cohabit with a woman for 12 months and above, the law sees the two of you as husband and wife and this is what is called common law marriage

She is now your common law wife and you are estopped from denying the existence of marriage

Yes

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by UnknownT: 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2020
The family that is richer takes the child.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by CyberWolf: 10:21pm On Mar 20, 2020
A lawyer once told me that once you cohabit with a woman for more than a year, that you’re both married in the eyes of the law. Don’t know how true is that

9 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by AmazingELixir: 10:21pm On Mar 20, 2020
undecided

Dem go dissolve wetin no exist in the first place...na to pack her things waka if she dhan tire naa, as for the pikin dem...Na the woman people get pikin na....if the man no pay bride prize come wan claim pikin...na to carry cutlass chase am away...unless the woman wan surrender the pikin dem on economic grounds...otherwise the man no get claim

2 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 20, 2020
It becomes an issue
When there are kids
When there are shared assets
When there is financial investment

If the man paid for your fashion designer business what happens?
If the lady paid for your okada ?
If you pooled money to buy generator?

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by franconian: 10:25pm On Mar 20, 2020
worworbabe:
I don't know the kind of desperation that makes women sleep with, move in with and have babies with men who did not find them valuable enough to marry.

Having babies won't keep a man, u no go hear.

Will marriage keep a man? Shît can go sideways at any fûcking time, marriage or no marriage.

3 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

Just because you didn't marry does not mean your union is not qualified to be one. Bear in mind, your union may be considered one under customary law depending on your ethnic group and associated precedents. If the "divorce" is mutual and everything else is resolved amicably, then no worries.

However, if there exist a fight or some contention on rights to kids etc, then you can actually sue your partner and get him or her to pay palimony etc. That's allowed in some states in US and even Europe, and possibly Nigeria--why not? Either way, you should talk to a lawyer.

Palimony
Alimony can be granted even if a couple were never married? That's "palimony".
By Lina Guillen, Attorney

“Palimony” is basically alimony for unmarried cohabitating couples. Specifically, it’s an alimony-like support payment that may be available to unmarried partners who are separating after living together for a period of time.

In some cases, one partner may ask for monthly payments of palimony after a break-up or may request a palimony settlement in the form of a one-time lump-sum payment. Either way, the first step is figuring out whether your state allows palimony.

https://www.divorcenet.com/states/nationwide/palimony

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Jimiyung(m): 10:26pm On Mar 20, 2020
If there is no court wedding, you can just wake up and leave. Nothing binding you
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by crafteck(m): 10:32pm On Mar 20, 2020
yvelchstores:
Any one who didn't marry with the approval and blessing of the woman's father is not married. If the father is late, who ever that is next in line of authority must give her away to the man. If this is not the case, then the man stole the woman.

Ir the woman stole the man.... Lets stop making a fuzz about marriage.. Its not tantamount to happiness.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by franchasng: 10:32pm On Mar 20, 2020
yvelchstores:
and the man could be charged for kidnapping and abduction by the lady's parents of guardian, you are right

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Fego50(m): 10:32pm On Mar 20, 2020
Hey man,you have no marriage whatsoever,either by law or by custom.You guys are at best cohabitants and any of you can walk away at any time.However if you promised the lady marriage and she may have furnished consideration,then you may be liable for breach of promise of marriage,and she can get damages against you.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by franchasng: 10:35pm On Mar 20, 2020
CyberWolf:
A lawyer once told me that once you cohabit with a woman for more than a year, that you’re both married in the eyes of the law. Don’t know how true is that
other country's law recognises live in partners which is a product of cohabitation but I don't know about Nigerian customary law. Where are the Nigerian charge and bail lawyers, oya come and do your work angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:39pm On Mar 20, 2020
manontree:
Dude there is a part of the law that won't allow you to freely dump her if that's what you are up to

When you cohabit with a woman for 12 months and above, the law seems the two of you as husband and wife and this is what is called common law marriage

She is now your common law wife and you are estopped from denying the existence of marriage

Yes

Ahan. I know I've read this somewhere.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by meum: 10:42pm On Mar 20, 2020
grin
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by PrimadonnaO(f): 10:43pm On Mar 20, 2020
Sometimes, the people who rush to comment really do not have anything tangible to say.

I've taken up the constituion to read a couple of times, and I remember reading somewhere about common law marriage if the couple have lived together for a specified period of time... and the union produced children.

7 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by UnknownQueen(f): 10:44pm On Mar 20, 2020
ornicus:
It becomes an issue
When there are kids
When there are shared assets
When there is financial investment

If the man paid for your fashion designer business what happens?
If the lady paid for your okada ?
If you pooled money to buy generator?
I'm presently going thru this...

We are married.... Registry, church traditional..

He wants me to pack and leave his house before or on March ending...

He said I can always come to check the kids, girl 5 years, boy 1 year 3 months.

He didn't talk about assets sharing.

But he is asking me to leave just like that... If not he will cause a scene....

How do I go about this?
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by wisdomkid: 10:45pm On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

Ok
Just that I always read these PM News or something (all these Igando Customary Court). You will find out that most of the cases of Infidelity or Domestic violence before the Court, most of the people involved were never married legally before the court.
They would be like "he got me pregnant when I was 20 years old, he promised me he will take care of me bla bla bla".

You said Domestic violence right? Well, you are not experiencing anyone and they took their ex to court because of the violence and not the marriage.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:45pm On Mar 20, 2020
Another single mother in the making

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Skillsnigeria: 10:48pm On Mar 20, 2020
Carry your children and tear race commot for the ogbonge union
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 20, 2020
The only issue that will take them to court is custody of the children if they can't reach an agreement on their own.
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by ekevwe(m): 10:50pm On Mar 20, 2020
SUPERPACK:
What I see in this case is cohabitation not marriage. So both of them should separate themselves as they wish since there was never a union in the first instance. Have you ever heard a boyfriend or girlfriend going to court when they no longer want a relationship?

My friend, the children is the union don't be deceived

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Can I Get My Baby Back? Pls Help Me Guys / After 21 Years In US, 9 Years In London, I Found Myself Under Oshodi Bridge / She Forgive Her Rapist But Cannot Forgive Her Husband.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.