Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? (26483 Views)

Niger Delta Oil Spills Clean-up Will Take 30 Years, Says UN - Guardian UK (2011) / See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / Buhari First Blunder Why I Oppose Relocation Of Military Command-ifeduba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 12:48am On Dec 31, 2010
Tippy Top:

Kobojunkie wrote:
Practice what you preach and stop slagging Nigeria off then.

DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOUR THIS COMING YEAR . . . LEARN HOW TO READ ENGLISH . . . . cause it might save your life someday.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 12:58am On Dec 31, 2010
Kobojunkie:

DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOUR THIS COMING YEAR . . . LEARN HOW TO READ ENGLISH . . . . cause it might save your life someday.

With the way you write. . . why dont you heed to your own advice!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by technic: 1:09am On Dec 31, 2010
Move back to Nigeria and start your own business. You could invest in one of the growing industries over here. IT, or prefably Telecoms. Why not open a store selling smartphones etc.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by denzel2009: 1:16am On Dec 31, 2010
Why do people think everybody would like to start up a business especially in a terrain like Nigeria which is not conducive for startups?

Smart phone ko Dunce phone ni. How can a CCIE start selling phones when an average consumer would prefer to buy china phones.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Dec 31, 2010
bidemi12:

what you do not understand is the "oyinbo" people you have mentioned understand what nigerians refuse to and accept. simple truth. if you want a country with no laws, where you can pretty much do whatever you want so long as you have the cash to back it up then nigeria is the country to go. [b]In that kind of environment you can make some serious money. but at whose expense? do you think those "oyinbo's" will invest the proceeds of their original capital back into the economy? have you ever heard of capital flight. what do you think MTN and those big multinationals are doing to the economy? [/b]They are taking their profits back to their country of origin and gradualy scewing us dry. The govt knows this but cannot or will not do anything because of egunje. UP NIGERIA. why would i not want to go back for a while? but stay? hell no.

I think that is part of the allure, and honestly, I am beginning to thnk it is not such a bad idea to take advantage.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Omoni25(f): 1:20am On Dec 31, 2010
Having read a lot of these comments I laughed so hard that my ribs literally ached, Well, I dont think you re mad for wanting to relocate, the real question is why? So that no matter how hard things get you 'd always remember why you came in the first place. Things can get pretty tough over here.  And about the N2m paying job, you really need to evaluate your C.V. and do a thorough research on  your opportunities, and trust me if you re worth that much, you'd get the job.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by WorldCitiz: 1:43am On Dec 31, 2010
My friend, I am not a Nigerian but have proud Nigerian friends, I am from the U.K, live in Brazil, why dont you come and take a look at Brazil and speak with Nigerians living here ! then decide if you really want to go back home permanently but of course there is no place like home!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by ekubear1: 2:28am On Dec 31, 2010
beknown:

Get a job first before you go to Nigeria. Check the following website:

http://www.careersinafrica.com/summits/london

That summit seems pretty sweet.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 3:34am On Dec 31, 2010
Yes, If you can secure a job that pays you 2 million naira a month. Have you consider the job security? if that is cleared i think you are good to go. I will even recommend [b]Jos [/b]as perfect place to live , grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Princek12(m): 5:15am On Dec 31, 2010
ydass:

Yes, If you can secure a job that pays you 2 million naira a month. Have you consider the job security? if that is cleared i think you are good to go. I will even recommend [b]Jos [/b]as perfect place to live , grin

How dare you recommend Jos as a place to which a returnee should move! Don't you know you are recommending a place that will cause him to die an untimely death? Don't you read about all the ethnic/religious skirmishes that occur in Jos, during which many innocent civilians have been killed. Don't you read the news?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by bidemi12(m): 5:20am On Dec 31, 2010
Princek12:

How dare you recommend Jos as a place to which a returnee should move! Don't you know you are recommending a place that will cause him to die an untimely death? Don't you read about all the ethnic/religious skirmishes that occur in Jos, during which many innocent civilians have been killed. Don't you read the news?

my guy you no see the smiley at the end of his post?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by riyageh(f): 6:35am On Dec 31, 2010
I have to say i am in stitches after reading every post on this topic. I will attempt to give my opinion to the OP without (hopefully) stepping on the toes of the overly westernized and sensitive individuals we have on this forum.

Income of 2 million naira monthly, gross or net income? Unfortunately the OP has not given enough information about his professional background beyond IT professional to determine if his professional experience can actually be valued at that amount. IT professional is too vague. After a quick Google search i found that in NYC an IT Auditor I earns an average of $63,277 + bonus; IT Auditor II earns an average of $82,435 + bonus; IT Auditor manager averages $138,164 + bonus; IT Director averages $213,404 + bonus annually. Even when i take a Director's annual income it still comes out to be less than 1 million naira monthly. Again these figures are average, there are exceptions based on many other factors and a person's bargaining power but to think for one moment that $13,050.57 (=N=2,000,000/mnth) passes as the norm is beyond ridiculous. A quick search on craigslist reveals a wide range in compensation for IT professionals from $40,000 to $120,000. Nothing over the top, none of which translate to that much money monthly, so why come up with such unrealistic figures?

Consciously or unconsciously, Nigerians propagate the notion that everyone earns a living wage out here, that is not necessarily true. Too many people work 3 or 4 jobs to make ends meet. With federal minimum wage set at $7.25/hr, the reality is that living wages do not exist in many professions. I am a nurse and remember while in university, i and other colleagues would meet other immigrant nurses who would say things like "i make more than doctors" what they failed to reveal was that they worked three jobs (120 hr/wk) to make that money as opposed to a 40 hr/wk. Again the OP leaves out important information about his professional level in the IT world. Experience is fine, but where exactly do you have said experience? If all your experience lies in programming or data entry, and none in management, developing, or running departments or businesses, do you honestly expect an entrepreneur to entrust his business to you and pay that much money? I wouldn't, would you?

"Working with large blue chip companies in the UK" does nothing to validate your feeling that you should make that much money, you may be a programmer or data entry clerk in one of the many cubicles. That does not make a person exceptional. To sell your value, you need to show what makes you exceptional, what you can contribute, and how your contribution will profit the company.

"But, I want like for like, before tax." In order to get this, then the two environments must be comparable. There is a stark difference between UK work environment and Nigeria work environment. Short of a company recruiting you to move to Nigeria, why should they compensate you for said inconveniences? You are making this decision consciously right? "Also I am not one to be too particular on comforts, security though is a must." If this is true, why the need to be compensated for the absence of said comforts? My point is this, you are obviously aware of the Nigerian environment, yet you set unrealistic goals. Are you truly ready to relocate to Nigeria, or are you trying to find a reason not to relocate? If you really are ready, do your research, find out what the pay scale is in your profession in NIGERIA , not based on what you earn right now in a country with established labor laws.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by bidemi12(m): 6:40am On Dec 31, 2010
riyageh:

I have to say i am in stitches after reading every post on this topic. I will attempt to give my opinion to the OP without (hopefully) stepping on the toes of the overly westernized and sensitive individuals we have on this forum.

"But, I want like for like, before tax." In order to get this, then the two environments must be comparable. There is a stark difference between UK work environment and Nigeria work environment. Short of a company recruiting you to move to Nigeria, why should they compensate you for said inconveniences? You are making this decision consciously right? grin"Also I am not one to be too particular on comforts, security though is a must." If this is true, why the need to be compensated for the absence of said comforts? My point is this, you are obviously aware of the Nigerian environment, yet you set unrealistic goals. Are you truly ready to relocate to Nigeria, or are you trying to find a reason not to relocate? If you really are ready, do your research, find out what the pay scale is in your profession in NIGERIA , not based on what you earn right now in a country with established labor laws.

GBAM!!!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by ZitIfy: 7:23am On Dec 31, 2010
Am sure there is no experience lacking in country presently. That u are an IT Pro does not translate to automatic N2m job offer. I advise u land the Dream job b4 heading home. A bird at hand,
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by sayso: 7:29am On Dec 31, 2010
what do you people think of Nigeria self? why do you think the Multinationals came here and refusing to go?Their decision should move you.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by ElPhenomenal(m): 7:43am On Dec 31, 2010
Hey,my ad 4 u is DONT COME BK.u will hardly c a job of #500,000 per month takless of 2 milla
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by invisible2(m): 7:50am On Dec 31, 2010
Nigeria is doing me fine, I dont make up to 2m in my business monthly but am okay with that. My expenses are not that huge, pays zero tax, owns boreholes, houses and other amenities which makes life easier and there is much room for growth in my sector.
Everyone to his own sha, but I will not leave naija for all the groundnuts in Kano.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MaJBlige(f): 7:59am On Dec 31, 2010
cou-gar:

just make sure you go there loaded. the first few weeks will be very tough. the cost of living in that part of the world is astronomical and the over-celebrated malls in palms/galleria are your normal one pound shops in east ham but the prices there compete with selfridges/ house of fraser. believe me, you will be pissed.

You mention East Ham, run down, stupid place and compare Palms/Galleria with one pound shops. You must be living in delusion.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by akinjide(m): 8:30am On Dec 31, 2010
I moved to Nigeria in November and I got a job with a package equivalent to £95000 UK and my wife too got something really good., it is up to what you bring in terms of qualifications and what you have done with your past (experience etc).
Nigeria is not as bad as people say. My kids are enjoying the attention of their grandparents and the fact they can swim, play football and do loads of things health and safety and other funny PC rules in the UK had deprived them of for years.
Dude the decision is personal make it based on your circumstances and views. also take the advice if you have property in the UK rent it out using an agency dont give to friends etc otherwise youre asking for trouble.

goodluck.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SEFAGO(m): 8:33am On Dec 31, 2010
Dude all of you with these awesome packages, what industry are you in?

I have a feeling, I would be overeducated for these positions anyways, but I dont see myself earning that type of money abroad

I love money- a lot actually grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 8:59am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^^

Too much swagger

Nothing to show for it

Overeducated ko Overeducation ni

----------Whether you like Bill Gates or not, this is pretty
cool. Here's some advice Bill Gates recently dished out
at a high school speech about 11 things they did not
learn in school. He talks about how feel-good,
politically correct teaching has created a full
generation of kids with no concept of reality and how
this concept sets them up for failure in the real
world.

RULE 1
Life is not fair - get used to it.

RULE 2
The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world
will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel
good about yourself.

RULE 3
You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out
of high school. You won't be a vice president with
car phone, until you earn both.

RULE 4
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a
boss. He doesn't have tenure.

RULE 5
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
grandparents had a different word for burger flipping
they
called it Opportunity

RULE 6
If you mess up,it's not your parents' fault, so don't
whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

RULE 7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as
they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about
how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent's generation, try
delousing the closet in your own room.

RULE 8
Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life has not. In some schools they have abolished
failing grades and they'll give you as many times as
you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the
slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

RULE 9
Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get
summers off and very few employers are interested in
helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

RULE 10
Television is NOT real life. In real life people
actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

RULE 11
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for
one.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MaJBlige(f): 9:02am On Dec 31, 2010
denzel2009:

Why do people think everybody would like to start up a business especially in a terrain like Nigeria which is not conducive for startups?

Smart phone ko Dunce phone ni. How can a CCIE start selling phones when an average consumer would prefer to buy china phones.

This shows you know nothing about Nigeria.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SEFAGO(m): 9:11am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^^

Too much swagger

Nothing to show for it

Overeducated ko Overeducation ni

All you need is a lot swagger, you dont need to have anything to back up that swagger  cool

It all about appearances and not contents. Anyways let me teach you some stuff inbtw.

Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
     grandparents had a different word for burger flipping
     they
     called it Opportunity.

I dont mind flipping burgers but I dont think Mcdonalds would be eager to hire someone with a B.S. Get the point, overeducation- companies unwilling to hire you because they think your skills might be overspecialized and not useful in industry.

Its not me that has a problem with the job, it would be the company.

What companies seek are people with personal and communication skills and work experience they dont work people with tons of degrees, and might be put off by such individuals. That is what overeducation means
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 9:33am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^

I am really worried for you

You seem not to have a wining attitude

Yours is a defeatist, and of a defeated person

You can get by on charm for about 15 minutes. After that, you better have something to show for it

I doubt you even have a BS
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MrCork2: 10:04am On Dec 31, 2010
do they even spek QUeens english in Nigeria? talkless of propar english (no ofeinse) undecided
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Rare(m): 10:10am On Dec 31, 2010
The OP has a promising education and work experience profile (though no specific details provided).
Assuming he also has acquired UK citizenship as a plus (or the ILR as they call it), I think he is well-poised to return to Nigeria. I would regard that as a career-advancing move.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by cougar1: 10:16am On Dec 31, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

You mention East Ham, run down, silly place and compare Palms/Galleria with one pound shops. You must be living in delusion.

i was talking about your over-celebrated galleria/palms. the things they sell there are not different from pound stores all across east ham, peckham, brixton and the likes. all those lebanese have managed to pull the wool over your eyes with dubai products and selling at exorbitant prices. if you think i am deluded then you are demented.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MaJBlige(f): 10:24am On Dec 31, 2010
How can a reasonable person compare the items on sale in one pound shops in the UK to items on sale at Galleria/Palms? That is very naive and to say the least, myopic. The galleria cost multi million dollars to build, so is the palms, and others, therefore, the rents dont come cheap, the items come in from abroad, not at cheap costs,  yet you compare them to one pound shops in run down places like east ham, peckham etc. Do you know your economics very well? Have you ever bought anything from abroad to sell in Nigeria? and know why items costs more than what you buy abroad? Who told you the shops at the palms/galleria are run by Lebanese? LOL. and who runs the one pound shops in the UK? Indians and Pakistanis. LOL. Maybe you clean the toilets of one of them. LOL.

Dubai products? This shows you have not bought anything from the shops you are running down neither have you bought things from Dubai. LOL.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by cougar1: 10:30am On Dec 31, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

How can a reasonable person compare one pound shops in the UK to Galleria/Palms? That is very naive and to say the least, myopic. The galleria cost multi million dollars to build, so is the palms, and others, yet you compare them to one pound shops in run down places like east ham, peckham etc. Who told you the shops at the palms/galleria are run by Lebanese? LOL. and who runs the one pound shops in the UK? Indians and Pakistanis. LOL. Maybe you clean the toilets of one of them. LOL.

this is where i think you are a tool. who's talking about the buildings? i am talking about the products sold in there and this is where people like you are hopelessly deluded. just because a building is worth $5 bn doesn't make the products sold there to be worth millions. nigerians are too gullible. the building matters to me not but the services rendered there. same goes as their housing developments. the buildings are attractive but there's no hot water running in the taps, no telephone service, no security and they are asking you to pay 50 million naira - are you people that brainless? i reiterate, the products sold in galleria are the same thing as the things you would find in any pound store across the united kingdom.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MaJBlige(f): 10:34am On Dec 31, 2010
^^^^

I think it is obvious who the brainless one is. Read my post properly before ejacu, lating in your boxers.

The mortgages you pay thousands for in the UK, of which you cant even lay claim to own the balcony, the money you pay for a two bedroom flat which you cant even afford finishing to pay the mortgage, will build you a mansion down at home in Nigeria. Who is brainless? LOL
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by cougar1: 10:39am On Dec 31, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

^^^^
I think it is obvious who the brainless one is. Read my post properly before ejacu, lating in your boxers.

The mortgages you pay thousands for in the UK, of which you cant even lay claim to own the balcony, the money you pay for a two bedroom flat which you cant even afford finishing to pay the mortgage, will build you a mansion down at home in Nigeria. Who is brainless? LOL

you are a stark illiterate! where would you rather own a house? in nigeria where armed robbers or land owners can turn up the next day and give you more grievance than a pit-bull possessed with demons or in the uk where there's security, constant electricity and pollution-free? i would rather be in the uk while i watch from a distance how people like you get slaughtered like sacrificial lambs by men of the underworld. continue building mansions in nigeria where the life expectancy is just 47 yrs. i am guessing you are about 30+ now, you have about 17 yrs more to live and if you are over 47 as we speak, you are living overtime - death can strike you down at anytime. what a pity! now who's brainless? cheesy
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by MaJBlige(f): 10:46am On Dec 31, 2010
LOL.

Look at the thinking of a human being. Sad.

I am thinking this one is not a Nigerian. or a "black british". or a JJC in the UK. You assume we havent stepped to where you are, gotten tired and left? Is it because you still have a cleaning job? LOL. For your information, I have houses and none of those things have ever happened, silly boy. Loud mouth for nothing. People who talk like you end up regretting their life.

The houses you pay 200,000 pounds and more for in the UK,  - 50 million naira - how can you compare them to the same property that 50million naira will build you in Nigeria where your family can inherit same? So, you want to buy houses in the UK where none of your family will ever inherit it when you are gone? LOL.

As per living overtime- dont worry about that. You are trying to be God, but the devil your master is behind you, hoping to hack you down before the end of this year.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply)

Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe In Court With A Book Titled 'Dirty Politics' / Revolutionnow Symposium: At Last, Police Allow Falana, Others To Enter Hall / IGP Adamu: #EndSARS Protesters Wanted Buhari Removed From Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.