Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,379 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners (19685 Views)

APC Withdrew From Presidential Debate To Save Buhari From Shame — Okupe / Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Presidential Debate Timetable Confirmed, Debate Dates Are Feb 1 and Feb 8! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Hodaya(m): 2:25pm On Jan 17, 2011
I see GEJ's supporters as a set people that see no reason to question their chosen leaders and are quick to rely on God to solve all their problems without meaningful input of theirs which i find very ridiculous. A set of people who believe a saint exist in hell because to say GEJ himself isn't as corrupt as the whole of PDP is total fraud,
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2011
I support Buhari a man that has a plan and vision for our nation.

He has unfinished business.

He reduced inflation form 24% to 5 % in 1.5 years, imagine what he could achieve if he was given 8years.

His priority is to give us power and industralise Nigeria.

Vote for

Vote for GEJ = OBJ /IBB = corruption & decay

Vote for Ribidu = OBJ /IBB =corruption & decay

Vote for Atiku = IBB /IBB = corruption & decay

Buhari = Nigeria = Progress and development
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 17, 2011
I wonder if the aspirants will debate the way their Hench men are doing.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by ONEMEGE(m): 3:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
In as much as i would hav opt for d humility & kind hearted virtues of mr goodluck jonathan,i would like to state that what is at stake is far more demanding than what mr president posseses. A leader has 2 b visionary, proactive, on top of every situation, objective(non-speculation), well disciplined & experienced.so far, dis administration has fallen short of d political will and prowess 2 lead an ever individually productive populace with girnomous challenges confronting her. In this present generation where nations of d world are fighting for relevance in the international community,here we are lavishing in corruption,bomblasting,kidnapping and unending religious/political violence has evaded and defiled our land.what we need is a sage leadership(a joshau 2 transport us 2 our dream land). I see the ACN transforming NIGERIA. I believe in Nuru Ribadu. FOR THE PEACE OF ALL.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by debosky(m): 4:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
Why has GEJ said/done nothing about the terrible things happening in Ogun state with the ridiculous impeachment going on?

Why was Folarin suddenly acquitted of murder charges ostensibly to attend the primaries and support GEJ?

Can Beaf or any other GEJ supporter provide a simple response to this without any reference 'Atiku style failed politics'.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Hodaya(m): 4:36pm On Jan 17, 2011
Let us carefully evaluate the performance of PDP in the past 12years in power. Have they been up to par, average or below. In 12years, i think they have offered all they have and their actions in the past is our present, their present will determine our future. If we are all satisfied with what they have done then we don't need to disrupt their present by voting them out BUT if we are not we can alter their present to change our future by voting PDP out of power.

GEJ is only as good as PDP and Fashola is only as good as ACN. I don't see individuals rather i see party, i won't be voting an individual rather we all will be voting a group of people in the name of a political party. So it is very important to consider the political party before the individual aspirant.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 4:49pm On Jan 17, 2011
Hodaya:

GEJ is only as good as PDP and Fashola is only as good as ACN. I don't see individuals rather i see party, i won't be voting an individual rather we all will be voting a group of people in the name of a political party. So it is very important to consider the political party before the individual aspirant.

I don't believe that to be the case. If anything Fashola has, overall, shown himself different from ACN and what it seems to represent. Same cannot be said of Goodluck Jonathan, I agree. But the I am trying to make is it is possible to vote into power only those individuals who have proven records of performance while rejecting parties and whatever it is they stand for. For instance, it is possible to vote Amaechi in Rivers but clean out the River stats assembly of all PDP affiliated members of house, especially all those who have nothing tangible to show. It is possible to vote back in a Fashola Government, but reject all other elements in the government that have helped progress the hold ACN has on the state. If anything, I think this a good way of sending a message to the parties that we are sick and tired of their shenanigans.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by passyjango(m): 5:05pm On Jan 17, 2011
@Beaf, I agree with you that true federalism is the most important reform we need at this point. I will also add a solid education system that will produce Nigerians capable of rational reasoning; Nigerians that will think with their head and not with their heart; Nigerians that will look beyond age, tribe, religion, class, and focus on the overall interest of the state; Nigerians that will know that elections are about them and not about the politicians or who wins.

For example, if you graduated for the past 3 to 4 years, yet you have no job, your concern (if you have a brain) is who among the candidates has programmes to deliver jobs so that at least within the next 2 years, you will be employed.

Another example, If you have been scoring above 180 in JAMB for the past three years and yet you have not been able to secure admission due to the low capacity of our institutions, your concern (again if you have a brain) should be who among the candidates have programmes in expanding access to tertiary education so that any student with a JAMB score of 160 and above will be able to secure admission. And so on.

Yes Jonathan, Ribadu, Buhari, may win, but the question is, how will their winning benefit you? That is what should be the primary concern of well educated voters.

@Beaf while I agree with most of your insight to the problems of Nigeria, I do not however share your opinion that GEJ is the man to deliver Nigeria or even start the process. GEJ is a part of the cabal that has held Nigeria in bondage for the past 12 years and as such it is not in his interest to reform Nigeria. Nigeria needs a leader with no affiliation to or loyalty for the existing establishment.

For now, I am a Ribadu man. He was dumped by the cabal and wrongfully removed from office. Now he has joined the progressives and is a lot cleaner and vibrant than GEJ.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Hodaya(m): 5:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't believe that to be the case. If anything Fashola has, overall, shown himself different from ACN and what it seems to represent. Same cannot be said of Goodluck Jonathan, I agree. But the I am trying to make is it is possible to vote into power only those individuals who have proven records of performance while rejecting parties and whatever it is they stand for. For instance, it is possible to vote Amaechi in Rivers but clean out the River stats assembly of all PDP affiliated members of house, especially all those who have nothing tangible to show. It is possible to vote back in a Fashola Government, but reject all other elements in the government that have helped progress the hold ACN has on the state. If anything, I think this a good way of sending a message to the parties that we are sick and tired of their shenanigans.

I don't know about you but i want the next 4 years of this country to be different from the past 12 years. And it'll remain thesame if PDP wins.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by debosky(m): 5:17pm On Jan 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't believe that to be the c[b]ase. If anything Fashola has, overall, shown himself different from ACN and what it seems to represent. Same cannot be said of Goodluck Jonathan, I agree. But the I am trying to make is it is possible to vote into power only those individuals who have proven records of performance while rejecting parties and whatever it is they stand for.[/b] For instance, it is possible to vote Amaechi in Rivers but clean out the River stats assembly of all PDP affiliated members of house, especially all those who have nothing tangible to show. It is possible to vote back in a Fashola Government, but reject all other elements in the government that have helped progress the hold ACN has on the state. If anything, I think this a good way of sending a message to the parties that we are sick and tired of their shenanigans.

Fashola would not have gotten anywhere in Lagos without ACN's dominance of politics in the state, and wouldn't even have gotten elected.

In any case, if you reject a parties' candidates in the legislature, you inevitably hamstring your so called 'performing' candidate and render him a lame duck who can't do anything.

In the end, the candidate is then open to manipulation by the legislature, or worse still, impeachment and replacement by someone willing to dance to the legislature's tune.

Your idea is unworkable as things currently stand - we need the parties to improve their internal workings, and that will only happen when more individuals take interest in the parties beyond the brief election windows and make their voices heard.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 5:41pm On Jan 17, 2011
debosky:

Fashola would not have gotten anywhere in Lagos without ACN's dominance of politics in the state, and wouldn't even have gotten elected.
True
debosky:

In any case, if you reject a parties' candidates in the legislature, you inevitably hamstring your so called 'performing' candidate and render him a lame duck who can't do anything.
True and I am banking on this happening!
debosky:

In the end, the candidate is then open to manipulation by the legislature, or worse still, impeachment and replacement by someone willing to dance to the legislature's tune.
I understand the above is possible – I also understand that it could go the other way i.e legislators and executives deciding to meet each other halfway, and working to move things forward, rather than backwards.
debosky:

Your idea is unworkable as things currently stand - we need the parties to improve their internal workings, and that will only happen when more individuals take interest in the parties beyond the brief election windows and make their voices heard.
We just spent the last 12 years hoping for just that but I want to believe some out there are done hoping/chasing dreams.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by haboosa(m): 5:44pm On Jan 17, 2011
@ Jarus, A political sagacity is not a garrulous absurdity but an absolute jingoism, every of the contestant is using one word or the other to nail each other but for me i believe in ability and the predicaments that surround the trends at which the candidature of each candidates from thier respective parties. Most of the politicians are prospective looters, money launderer, covetous and have nothing to offer us,going via the pedigree of all the aspirants you will agree with me that virtually all of them has one dirty back ground or the other, for instance Muhammadu Buhari was head of PTDF and if i can remember vivdly the people that benefit most from his time even till now were the northerners so how can he unify Nigeria, Ibrahim Shekarau was use to to rubbish Kwankwazo but all he could do was to siphon the money of the groundnut pyramid and the historic commercial state to please his party and leave the people of kano to be regreting their mandate that was presented to him about 8 years ago, I can remember what the then speaker of the Balyelsa state house of assembly and also the impeached deputy governor of bayelsa did to impeach Alayameisiagha so as to put Goodluck in to power i know vivdly he is regreting his actions now.Although some said he was used to indict most of the anti Obasanjo Third term bid but when you look deep in to him you will still see that he has the vission and the mission to drive us to the promise Land,  as i always say " the ability of a personality can not be known unless he or she is given an opportunity to show his or her own capability in the development of a given society". i can percieve that in NUHU RIBADU i beleive in him and think if given the mantle he will sail us to the promise land. that is my submission. smiley smiley smiley
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2011
passyjango:

@Beaf, I agree with you that true federalism is the most important reform we need at this point. I will also add a solid education system that will produce Nigerians capable of rational reasoning; Nigerians that will think with their head and not with their heart; Nigerians that will look beyond age, tribe, religion, class, and focus on the overall interest of the state; Nigerians that will know that elections are about them and not about the politicians or who wins.

For example, if you graduated for the past 3 to 4 years, yet you have no job, your concern (if you have a brain) is who among the candidates has programmes to deliver jobs so that at least within the next 2 years, you will be employed.

Another example, If you have been scoring above 180 in JAMB for the past three years and yet you have not been able to secure admission due to the low capacity of our institutions, your concern (again if you have a brain) should be who among the candidates have programmes in expanding access to tertiary education so that any student with a JAMB score of 160 and above will be able to secure admission. And so on.

Yes Jonathan, Ribadu, Buhari, may win, but the question is, how will their winning benefit you? That is what should be the primary concern of well educated voters.

@Beaf while I agree with most of your insight to the problems of Nigeria, I do not however share your opinion that GEJ is the man to deliver Nigeria or even start the process. GEJ is a part of the cabal that has held Nigeria in bondage for the past 12 years and as such it is not in his interest to reform Nigeria. Nigeria needs a leader with no affiliation to or loyalty for the existing establishment.

For now, I am a Ribadu man. He was dumped by the cabal and wrongfully removed from office. Now he has joined the progressives and is a lot cleaner and vibrant than GEJ.

Thanks a lot for your post, progressive minds quite clearly think alike. You will also note that in tune with your position on education as a foundation for the the country's development, GEJ has taken on the education of the almajiri (including changing their curriculum to include Western education); this is a first in the country and a radical approach to employment, productivity and security issues in the North.

For graduates remaining idle years after school, there are a lot of promising economic developments (notably in the power sector) which will revitalise the Nigerian employment outlook. GEJ believes very much in that the private sector is the true driver of development and intense work is going on in these areas, from provision of accurate statistics (a first in Nigeria), to creating enabling environments (eg the financial help for Nollywood), there are also very exciting openings for private power generation. Please seek out the forward plans of the FG in order to key in, you too could become an employer and soldier in Nigeria's development, GEJ is opening up the field.

Where we disagree, is in your strange claim that GEJ is part of the cabal. There couldn't be a longer stretch from the facts on the ground. Bear it in mind that Jonathan is the reason Ribadu is campaigning today, he was sent into exile by the cabal, but GEJ erased their trumped up charges against him. A true democrat and respecter of the law!

[size=21pt]Fresh Air 2011![/size]
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2011
debosky:

Why has GEJ said/done nothing about the terrible things happening in Ogun state with the ridiculous impeachment going on?

Why was Folarin suddenly acquitted of murder charges ostensibly to attend the primaries and support GEJ?

Can Beaf or any other GEJ supporter provide a simple response to this without any reference 'Atiku style failed politics'.

There are many really horrible things occuring across the Nigerian landscape. There are bombings, assassinations, lawlessness and brigandage. there are the recurring Jos massacres.

All these are things Jonathan inherited from past govts and not solvable in a day. However you would note that he has indeed begun the process of turning around the PDP (witness their transparent primaries). Lets give each state level problem a little more time, national problems first.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by eewule(m): 6:00pm On Jan 17, 2011
About Ribadu and Jonathan:
Nigeria is not an easy country to rule, considering the level of corruption and enemies of progress who vandalise infrastructures and try to profit from our government at every chance. So even the most honest and hard-working leader will find it tough to move Nigeria 1 inch forward within a year. For this reason I have nothing against GEJ.  At least he's claim to have stabilized fuel supply proves to be true. so to me he isnt doing too bad.
Ribadu:
Is an honest an patriotic Nigerian who has proven not to be corrupt like the others. I think the fact that he makes a good crime fighter (In former EFCC) doesn't necessarily mean he would be a strong will-full leader. He doesn't show all the characteristics. But who knows,  maybe he will develop the other leadership qualities.

My vote will go to one of these two but i'm still deciding.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Gbawe: 6:13pm On Jan 17, 2011
debosky:

Good post Debosky. Fans of GEJ should also tell us why GEJ , if he is not "more of the same" ,worked for the return of a man (Uduaghan) deemed an election rigger by a competent law Court when Mr. President had hypocritically told Nigerians earlier that Nigeria would not make progress unless votes count? Does anyone feel that a President truly aware of one of Nigeria's biggest problem (election rigging) and dedicated to finding a solution should be the one working for the re-election efforts of discredited election riggers instead of fighting tooth and nail to ensure legislation come in ASAP to back the automatic banning and sanctioning of those who truncate the electoral will of Nigerians?  Simply Incredible !!!

Can Nigerians see any gains in a Jonathan Presidency when Mr. President sold his soul to the devil with how his hideous deals ensured many indolent misrulers have now been returned as PDP Governorship candidate?  Who is not ashamed for Oyo State with how they may have to parade alao Akala as their Governor for another four years? Self-defeatist is it not? What good Governance does Jonathan want to deliver with the likes of Alao-Akala effectively articulating his leadership at state level and 'quenching' any allocation disbursed to his State? Has Jonathan , indirectly, not let down the people of Oyo State? Why does GEJ have to be part of a deliberate effort to impose wicked and indolent leaders on Nigerians if he is not wicked himself ? Why ?

Jonathan began the attempt to get Mark and bankole on board early . Nairalanders , pray tell me why a President who wants to be effective would seek the return of a Senate present and Speaker of the House who will ensure he has a very indolent, frustrating and self-serving legislature to work with? The problems with jonathan are too many and too obvious . All his desperate choices , calculated to gain him power, will ensure he is "dead on arrival " and incapable of doing anything good for Nigeria. There is no doubt about that. Nothing explains this notion more than how the most ruinous hands alive in Nigeria's history are right behind Jonathan. One really has to question the way nigerians view things with so many of them still willing to cast a vote for a man who has shown he represents indolence, corruption, expediency, patronage system, inducement, etc etc.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Judeylive(m): 6:51pm On Jan 17, 2011
Gbawe:

Good post Debosky. Fans of GEJ should also tell us why GEJ , if he is not "more of the same" ,worked for the return of a man (Uduaghan) deemed an election rigger by a competent law Court when Mr. President had hypocritically told Nigerians earlier that Nigeria would not make progress unless votes count? Does anyone feel that a President truly aware of one of Nigeria's biggest problem (election rigging) and dedicated to finding a solution should be the one working for the re-election efforts of discredited election riggers instead of fighting tooth and nail to ensure legislation come in ASAP to back the automatic banning and sanctioning of those who truncate the electoral will of Nigerians?  Simply Incredible !!!

Can Nigerians see any gains in a Jonathan Presidency when Mr. President sold his soul to the devil with how his hideous deals ensured many indolent misrulers have now been returned as PDP Governorship candidate?  Who is not ashamed for Oyo State with how they may have to parade alao Akala as their Governor for another four years? Self-defeatist is it not? What good Governance does Jonathan want to deliver with the likes of Alao-Akala effectively articulating his leadership at state level and 'quenching' any allocation disbursed to his State? Has Jonathan , indirectly, not let down the people of Oyo State? Why does GEJ have to be part of a deliberate effort to impose wicked and indolent leaders on Nigerians if he is not wicked himself ? Why ?

Jonathan began the attempt to get Mark and bankole on board early . Nairalanders , pray tell me why a President who wants to be effective would seek the return of a Senate present and Speaker of the House who will ensure he has a very indolent, frustrating and self-serving legislature to work with? The problems with jonathan are too many and too obvious . All his desperate choices , calculated to gain him power, will ensure he is "dead on arrival " and incapable of doing anything good for Nigeria. There is no doubt about that. Nothing explains this notion more than how the most ruinous hands alive in Nigeria's history are right behind Jonathan. One really has to question the way nigerians view things with so many of them still willing to cast a vote for a man who has shown he represents indolence, corruption, expediency, patronage system, inducement, etc etc.

Gbawe, plz can you contact me at cgpa.mag@gmail.com, i have something to talk to you about1
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by DrKnow1(m): 7:20pm On Jan 17, 2011
As things stand now, I will pretend that I have not decided who my favourite candidate will be until I've seen more arguments from the candidates,
Meanwhile, I will invite you to watch these three videos:

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com//v/tGcP1Y2hQHs[/flash]

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com//v/JITI0dRDjD4[/flash]

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com//v/qg4AjUm3jcs[/flash]
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by debosky(m): 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I also understand that it could go the other way i.e legislators and executives deciding to meet each other halfway, and working to move things forward, rather than backwards.

Our experience gives little hope of that happening - the executive arm either tries to nullify the legislature or force them out to be replaced by their own party people (who are beholden to them) or there are constant battles leading to the 'impeachment' type situation of Ogun state, just to suit the whims of the executive arm.

We just spent the last 12 years hoping for just that but I want to believe some out there are done hoping/chasing dreams.

You're essentially 'hoping' that legislators and the executive from different parties will work together - it doesn't have much of a chance in Nigerian politics at present. I think that's a far more unrealistic 'hope' (trying to change people who are already in power) compared to sorting the parties out by making it more difficult to impose candidates internally.

If GEJ can hold a transparent primaries (even with backdoor scheming) I feel party reform is a far more realistic target.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Pk001(m): 8:28pm On Jan 17, 2011
Any aspirant that see's corruption, rather than its causes as Nigeria's problem lacks experience and the ability to think at an abstract level, of course, such candidate are non-starters who still leave in the primitive Worlds of coup plotting and command mentality of a lifetime in uniforms and regiments

It only GEJ that is focused on solving the root cause corruption.

If I am not correct , why is that the so called corruption  fighter (Nuhu Ribadu) is dining with the with some corrupt leaders like Tinubu.
He should have joined a neutral party.

Fighting corruption in Nigeria , means dealing with what leads to corruption while stopping the corruption syndrome from spreading. By silencing anyone involve in corruption and empowering  the citizens to be able to stand against it.

That is what GEJ is doing, and that is the ideal thing in a democratic setting.

Not using a new law to murder someone  that committed a crime under the old law like Buhari did. Some people say that is corruption fighting but certainly not democracy. Such leaders should never be allowed to surface as presidential aspirants.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by debosky(m): 9:14pm On Jan 17, 2011
Beaf:

There are many really horrible things occuring across the Nigerian landscape. There are bombings, assassinations, lawlessness and brigandage. there are the recurring Jos massacres.

All these are things Jonathan inherited from past govts and not solvable in a day. However you would note that he has indeed begun the process of turning around the PDP (witness their transparent primaries). Lets give each state level problem a little more time, national problems first.

The issue in Oyo wasn't some 'state' matter - there was Federal Intervention.  The IG must have given the order to drop the charges, and there's no one else who can plausibly give that order beyond for GEJ. The police is a Federal Institution so I don't buy this 'state' excuse.

How can you exculpate GEJ from such a decision taken for his brazen political gain at the primaries?  

If he can circumvent the judicial process just to secure his ambition to win the party primaries, what lengths will he go to if he gets further challenges down the line to his presidential goal?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Ibime(m): 9:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
Mr President sent his Chief of Police to release a suspected murderer, then his Presidential plane to fly him in for elections and someone is here telling us that "All these are things Jonathan inherited from past govts and not solvable in a day."

I guess the way to solve it is to actively encourage it, and rubberstamp it sef.

Vote for monkeys if you prefer living in the jungle. Or mudskippers if you like living in the swamp.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by damola1: 10:44pm On Jan 17, 2011
Nigeria's problem is its structure. It's structured to propel corruption and its vices.

If a good politician with good intentions go into the senate or house of reps. he's bound to easily become corrupt because the system largely supports corruption and there's no wisdom there that he should fight it, else he'll be ridiculed and everything he plans will be frustrated.

i will like to ask our potential president that mean well for the growth of our nation, what have they done, to change this structure to become one that emulates productivity.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by asscend: 11:48pm On Jan 17, 2011
damola1:

Nigeria's problem is its structure. It's structured to propel corruption and its vices.

If a good politician with good intentions go into the senate or house of reps. he's bound to easily become corrupt because the system largely supports corruption and there's no wisdom there that he should fight it, else he'll be ridiculed and everything he plans will be frustrated.

i will like to ask our potential president that mean well for the growth of our nation, what have they done, to change this structure to become one that emulates productivity.

Very well said. Thats a fact.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by asscend: 11:55pm On Jan 17, 2011
We need more interviews and as we go on debates. Thanks for the clips.

As a lawyer, Ribadu will win all the others big time when it comes to speaking. (Nigeria needs this).

Who are their running mates? I know GEJ's own.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 1:14am On Jan 18, 2011
debosky:

If GEJ can hold a transparent primaries (even with backdoor scheming) I feel party reform is a far more realistic target.

Honestly, what I am advocating is we not allow a single state be controlled by any single party. That means both at the legislative, judicial, and executive levels, we ensure we have various parties involved and not a single party as is the case today in many of our states.

if this spells chaos and impeachments, I say bring it on cause I don't believe what we have now is working for us anyhow. Plus, if we continue with current trend, we may find ourselves at the mercy of godfathers(low class numbskulls/agberos with power) on each side and that is definitely not where we want this democracy heading.

Secondly, wasn't the 2007 PDP primary democratic? Apart from the zoning quagmire, I believe the delegates did vote for the nomination to be handed to Yar adua. Why are we suddenly pretending something new happened this time around?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by omolayo1(m): 1:23am On Jan 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Honestly, what I am advocating is we not allow a single state be controlled by any single party. That means both at the legislative and executive levels, we ensure we have various parties involved and not a single party as is the case today in many of our states.

Secondly, wasn't the 2007 PDP primary democratic? Apart from the zoning quagmire, I believe the delegates did vote for the nomination to be handed to Yar adua. Why are we suddenly pretending something new happened this time around?
Honestly you make my day by realizing this facts. Nigeria can only get better when the right thinking fellow say the truth and do the right thing. is it better to lie to somebody but when lying to oneself,it will difficult to go out of the problem. Even the so called elite pretends to see thesame thing happening.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 1:31am On Jan 18, 2011
debosky:

The issue in Oyo wasn't some 'state' matter - there was Federal Intervention. The IG must have given the order to drop the charges, and there's no one else who can plausibly give that order beyond for GEJ. The police is a Federal Institution so I don't buy this 'state' excuse.

How can you exculpate GEJ from such a decision taken for his brazen political gain at the primaries?

If he can circumvent the judicial process just to secure his ambition to win the party primaries, what lengths will he go to if he gets further challenges down the line to his presidential goal?

If the above were to be the case, then the man wouldn't even have been arrested in the first place.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 1:42am On Jan 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Honestly, what I am advocating is we not allow a single state be controlled by any single party. That means both at the legislative and executive levels, we ensure we have various parties involved and not a single party as is the case today in many of our states.

To add, I also believe that this might encourage the 'good' politicians, if they exist, to cut there ties with the corrupt and this perception that they can only make it if they align themselves with the corrupt(party of good politicians with meaningful ideologies), and inject more confidence into the people as a result.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jaygetta1: 1:51am On Jan 18, 2011
Ok, to those spreading all these rumors about Buhari. . . So, he planned a coup to oust Shagari just because he didn't want to be exposed as "corrupt", but then, he gets into power for approximately 2yrs and there's no evidence that he tried to enrich himself?! Niiiiceeee! Sorry, your stories don't hold up. You GEJ supporters, as far as I know, are not related in anyway to Ludacris, but gadddemn: HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 1:54am On Jan 18, 2011
omolayo1:

Honestly you make my day by realizing this facts. Nigeria can only get better when the right thinking fellow say the truth and do the right thing.  is it better to lie to somebody but when lying to oneself,it will difficult to go out of the problem.  Even the so called elite pretends to see thesame thing happening.

I don't understand your post please. What facts are you referring to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Under Probe For €3.6m Vehicles Deal / Buhari And Obasanjo At 6th Tokyo International Conference 2016 - Photos / Yemi Osinbajo Receives Ambassador Of Israel (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.