Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,391 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:42 AM

Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners (19655 Views)

APC Withdrew From Presidential Debate To Save Buhari From Shame — Okupe / Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Presidential Debate Timetable Confirmed, Debate Dates Are Feb 1 and Feb 8! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 11:02pm On Jan 14, 2011
Congratulations Ribadu!!!!!!!!!
We Nigerians are at times very funny and myopic in our views.
I have read so many comments and jabs on Ribadu that "He is too inexperienced" Or "He can start from the Senate" etc.
Corruption was and still remain a big problem in Nigeria.The same ribadu as pioneer Chairman of EFCC went after every criminal irrespective of his age,tribe or religious afflliations.Fraudsters could not believe it.
It gave Nigeria a good name and Foreign Countries were eager to assist him in performing better.Thats the kind of courage we need in Nigeria.
The courage to do the right thing at the right time without thinking of personal benefits/aggrandisement.Ribadu might be criticised for not having much executive experience but so does Obama,Merkel,GEJ,Brown,Milliband,etc at least Ribadu managed the budget of EFCC.
All over the world there is a generational change in leadership with young,successive individuals being elected as Presidents of the most powerful Nations in the world as witnessed in U.S,Russia and U.K.
Nigeria should not once again be left out of the progressive migration.
We have suffered for too long with mediocre,clueless and disgruntled entities foisted on us as Presidents, We need to depart from the past
GEJ is though a good and humble President but he still lacks the dangerous bite and convincing aura expected of a President to rule a diverse,complex and completely heterogenous Nation like Nigeria.
The spate of bombing,kidnappings,political rascality (Oyo,Ogun,Abia,Adamawa,)etc broady day light state looting,etc is an insight.

Every thing being equal,my Vote is on Ribadu,
By everything being equal i mean if Ribadu nominates someone(Not just anybody but a progressive) from the SouthEast,
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 11:04pm On Jan 14, 2011
^^^ Just as I suspected
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 11:05pm On Jan 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Just as I suspected

what?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Gbawe: 11:50pm On Jan 14, 2011
Beaf:

Gbawe's comment about corruption being Nigeria's main problem is completely wrong and displays a fundamental lack of understanding of the Nigerian fabric, but going further to build his candidates profile around that is almost hilarious.
I will make a very bold and assertive correction; corruption is simply a by product of Nigeria's deeper problems. It takes a lot of understanding and deep thought to discern that the government structure of Nigeria was deliberately tailored by the cabal in such a way that ethnic bigotry, religious bigotry and corruption flourish, all for their financial benefit. Nigeria's biggest issue is our national architecture, this is something GEJ understands perfectly and in his usual quiet way, has begun tackling.
True federalism below the surface, will ensure accountability and the demise of corruption and ethnic bigotry. Jonathans govt is planting the seeds.

On the surface, true federalism is about the decentralisation of power from Abuja, the empowerment of states and local govts, the diversification of our economy, empowerment of the private sector, true grassroots representation, the ability to choose local leaders that are the peoples choice. True federalism is about citizen wellbeing, industrialisation and economic growth.
Jonathans govt has kicked of the true federalism process by taken up privatisation of key areas, like power, petroleum refining (3 new semi-private refineries are being built for $23billion); but there are also the the quieter and vastly more exciting and profound projects going on, such as the provision of a comprehensive statistics base for Nigeria. All sorts of statistics projects have kicked off, these include projects for taxation to projects that will provide the precise figure each and every one of Nigeria's 770 Local govts adds or subtracts from the Nigerian economy. There are also projects to localise certain elements of security.

Any aspirant that see's corruption, rather than its causes as Nigeria's problem lacks experience and the ability to think at an abstract level, of course, such candidate are non-starters who still leave in the primitive Worlds of coup plotting and command mentality of a lifetime in uniforms and regiments (police or military). But, leadership is not about how to use a koboko, it is about wisdom, patience and the healing touch, all of which Jonathan posesses. Civilian democracy cannot be approached with a barrack mentality, which is only a throwback to the years in which the errors of the Nigerian contraption where created.
Nigeria requires fundamental re-engineering of the sort only thinkers can wrought. At this crossroads in our history, we do no need wrestlers and boxers in govt, what we need is the calm, wise head on Jonathans shoulders.

Nigeria needs a man who can reach out to the various ethnic groups and religious faiths, as aptly demonstrated by Jonathans across the board victory at the PDP Presidential primaries yesterday (winning across Muslim and Christian states and all ethnicities); a victory that was delivered in the most transparent way; every Nigerian participated in the ballot counting, either as a witness or directly; a beautiful example of what Nigeria can be, a first in the country. That same transparency is what Nigeria craves and Jonathan, now unshackeled from the dirty politics of opponents (zoning, bombing, ethnic bigotry etc) can begin to deliver.

Jonathans outreach to the everyday Nigerian is evident with his prolific use of every available medium to reach out to the ordinary person, from church services, Muslim holy periods to facebook. He is a man WITH the people, a listener, an ordinary Nigerian like you and I who is in position to cure (and will cure) the ills of Nigeria.

All this "Horse before the Cart " pontifications is naive, dishonest, uninformed and especially unrealistic when your man , confronted with several critical tests of leadership, has not even shown he is capable of grappling with basic issues talk less of him being a leader who can talk of , let alone sustain the difficult and sincerity-dependent effort to effect true federalism. Jonathan has chosen political expediency , while shunning integrity, every time he has faced stern tests of his leadership. Commical you posit that this simplistic opportunist is the saviour of Nigeria. Anyway, it is hardly surprising considering that conferring qualities and achievements on Jonathan he does not have is the favourite pastime of his supporters who have nothing real or tangible to work with. Go back to dreaming about true federalism without understanding that folks far more intelligent than you and far more involved with influential Nigerian public office , all across our nation, do not speak of it because they understand the historical evolution of nations enough to know we are not even close , as a nation , to begin broaching the issues of true federalism with any realistic level of sincerity.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 11:57pm On Jan 14, 2011
GJ has had his test-run and what did we see? A chaotic country like never before.
Gbawe:

All this "Cart before the Horse" pontifications is naive, dishonest, uninformed and especially unrealistic when your man , confronted with several critical tests of leadership, has not even shown he is capable of grappling with basic issues talk less of him even being a leader who can talk of , let alone sustain the difficult and sincerity-dependent effort to effect true federalism. Jonathan has chosen political expediency , while shunning integrity, every time he has faced stern tests of his leadership. Commical you posit that this simplistic opportunist is the saviour of Nigeria. Anyway, it is hardly surprising considering that conferring qualities and achievements on Jonathan he does not have is the favourite pastime of his supporters who have nothing real or tangible to work with. Go back to dreaming about true federalism without understanding that folks far more intelligent than you and far more involved with influential Nigerian public office , all accross our nation, do not speak of it because they understand the historical evolution of nations enough to know we are not even close to begin broaching the issues of true federalism sincerely.

'@ beaf

How does federalism eradicate corruption?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Gbawe: 12:07am On Jan 15, 2011
jason123:

GJ has had his test-run and what did we see? A chaotic country like never before.

Abeg don't mind his rabid fans . They are all long on passion but short on commonsense. A President who believes in true fedralism and equity for all , when action is required of him, will not deliberately let the Ogun State impeachment debacle fester so that he can gain political advantage detrimental to the wellbeing of the people of a Nigerian State he swore to lead without fear or favour . It is too easy to criticise Jonathan because he is a very poor leader who consistently and deliberately makes wrong decisions for Nigeria callously calculated to assist his own personal agenda.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 12:52am On Jan 15, 2011
Gbawe:

All this "Horse before the Cart " pontifications is naive, dishonest, uninformed and especially unrealistic when your man , confronted with several critical tests of leadership, has not even shown he is capable of grappling with basic issues talk less of him being a leader who can talk of , let alone sustain the difficult and sincerity-dependent effort to effect true federalism. Jonathan has chosen political expediency , while shunning integrity, every time he has faced stern tests of his leadership. Commical you posit that this simplistic opportunist is the saviour of Nigeria. Anyway, it is hardly surprising considering that conferring qualities and achievements on Jonathan he does not have is the favourite pastime of his supporters who have nothing real or tangible to work with. Go back to dreaming about true federalism without understanding that folks far more intelligent than you and far more involved with influential Nigerian public office , all across our nation, do not speak of it because they understand the historical evolution of nations enough to know we are not even close , as a nation , to begin broaching the issues of true federalism with any realistic level of sincerity.

I am at a loss for what you are attempting to say. Is the above an argument for Ribadu?
These are new times in Nigeria and attempting to escape replying to intellectual reasoning with such dross just doesn't cut it anymore.

You declare true federalism a mere dream to be dismissed, but I will let you know that it is the dream of all Nigerians. A dream for the day of equity, justice, true representation, rule of law, self actualisation, a sense of belonging, healthy competion, development and industrialisation.
To not understand or key into the above, is to not bond with the yearning of the everyday Nigerian. Thankfully, in Jonathan, we have a listener who is down to earth and every bit like the man on the street; he understands what we cry about.

My friend, the days of koboko politics are gone. The days of beating Nigerians into line are gone, the country is like an egg that needs Jonathans sure hand and his wise and patient head; we do not need wrestlers and boxers with their barrack style politics (military or police).
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:26am On Jan 15, 2011
I hereby appoint myself moderator of this debate.  grin grin grin

Let me warn all parties to desist from attacking each other with derogatory words. We are enjoying the debate now, stick to the issues and please no names calling.

Thank you.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by OAM4J: 1:40am On Jan 15, 2011
Getting interesting already.

The key issues that need to be addressed by each candidate representatives should include but not limited to:

1. Economy
2. Power
3. Corruption
4. Infrastructures
5. Education
6. Health
7. Peace/Unity
8. Federalism

Please we do not need the old vague, unintelligent slogan like " My candidate will do this", "He will provide that", "He will solve this or that problem" etc as much as we want you to answer the what question, we more importantly also want to know the How
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Eziachi: 1:48am On Jan 15, 2011
To the three candidates and their representatives: What is your takes on this three issues?
1. Land Use Decree or Act
2. Ayo Irikife-Boundary Adjustement Act
3. Revenue Formula
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by nduchucks: 1:54am On Jan 15, 2011
Eziachi:

To the three candidates and their representatives: What is your takes on this three issues?
1. Land Use Decree or Act
2. Ayo Irikife-Boundary Adjustement Act
3. Revenue Formula

Please give us a brief description of each of the items you listed. Don't assume that the commentators understand or even are aware of the items.

Thanks.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 15, 2011
@ndu_chuks, eziachi question i believe has to do with "oil" "resource control" which has always been the bane of naija crisis. I bet jonathan himself will be very cautious of answering those questions. Ken saro wiwa was murdered while fighting for that. Anyway am likewise waiting for campaigners response to the question
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 2:15am On Jan 15, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Please give us a brief description of each of the items you listed. Don't assume that the commentators understand or even are aware of the items.

Thanks.

Any campaigner unaware of each and every item on Ezeachi's list really shouldn't be here.
I have posted arguments for the gradual move of the ship of state toward true federalism. In every federal system, the rights of communities and individuals are sacred; they are upheld and resolutely defended.

A community or an individuals rights to property and land as an asset must be held as sacred, land should not be siezed by govt for any reason. A man from Zamfara should not be split from his kinsmen, because there are fears that his gold bearing land will make him more powerful than the nation (think Ayo Irikefe here), neither should economically unviable states be created for ethnic nationalism reasons. With true federalism, such primitive ethnically bigoted politics would be gone forever.
We need a Nigerian system that revolves around merit and individual enterprise.

The revenue formula will need to be renegotiated around a basket of policies, funding and frameworks that would span over an agreed period.

As always, these are my personal thoughts.

--EDITED--
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 2:24am On Jan 15, 2011
jason123:

'@ beaf

How does federalism eradicate corruption?

Wait a g____m minute, you are looking for answers from another when you could not provide me a single one yourself? grin
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 2:29am On Jan 15, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Wait a g____m minute, you are looking for answers from another when you could not provide me a single one yourself? grin
cheesy cheesy grin.
The thing is, I do not want to get into an argument with you wink. BTW, who do you support?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 2:40am On Jan 15, 2011
jason123:

cheesy cheesy grin.
The thing is, I do not want to get into an argument with you wink. BTW, who do you support?

I didn't ask you for an argument. I simply asked you questions, all you need do is answer. I don't think it matters who I support.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jaygetta1: 2:40am On Jan 15, 2011
Kobojunkie, if Jesus was to reappera today, would argue him to a standstill the fact that the Bible claimed he was crucified on a cross. . . Unable to win against Kobo, Jesus would probably flee back to heaven into the warm, loving hands of his father. . . That said; give me a man whose tenures as Governor, Minister, Head of State and head of PTF was devoid of the usual stories of corruption; a man performed admirably as head of Nigeria's Anti-Graft Agency (and also refused a whooping $15million bribe); and one whose wife was involved in a $3million bribe scandal, depleted the National Reserve just to serve his own agenda to the detriment of Nigerians, surrounds himself with the very people that have been destroying Nigeria since its birth and you should know who my choice would be. . . And it definitely isn't the third individual described. While I won't castigate Mallam Ribadu (his sincerity and love for Nigeria is not in doubt), I do not believe he is the one to deliver Nigerians from hell. Simply put: the corrupt do not fear him AS MUCH!!!!! The name BUHARI strikes fear in the evil minds of Nigerians who aim to turn the country into their own personal fiefdom through the depletion on the Nation's coffers. Buhari might be see as being brutish(mostly by those who wish to continue "business as usual"in the country), but, if 'brutish' is what we need in order to eradicate corruption and set this great nation onto the path of glory, then give me it. Because, I will accept 'brutish', anyday, anytime, over 'silent works' and handing over control of the Nation's affairs to known crooks and pilferers. For this reason, amongst others, I say:Muhammadu Buhari is the man we need to set Nigeria back on the right track.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 2:47am On Jan 15, 2011
jay_getta:

Kobojunkie, if Jesus was to reappera today, would argue him to a standstill the fact that the Bible claimed he was crucified on a cross. . . Unable to win against Kobo, Jesus would probably flee back to heaven into the warm, loving hands of his father. . . That said; give me a man whose tenures as Governor, Minister, Head of State and head of PTF was devoid of the usual stories of corruption; a man performed admirably as head of Nigeria's Anti-Graft Agency (and also refused a whooping $15million bribe); and one whose wife was involved in a $3million bribe scandal, depleted the National Reserve just to serve his own agenda to the detriment of Nigerians, surrounds himself with the very people that have been destroying Nigeria since its birth and you should know who my choice would be. . . And it definitely isn't the third individual described. While I won't castigate Mallam Ribadu (his sincerity and love for Nigeria is not in doubt), I do not believe he is the one to deliver Nigerians from hell. Simply put: the corrupt do not fear him AS MUCH!!!!! The name BUHARI strikes fear in the evil minds of Nigerians who aim to turn the country into their own personal fiefdom through the depletion on the Nation's coffers. Buhari might be see as being brutish(mostly by those who wish to continue "business as usual"in the country), but, if 'brutish' is what we need in order to eradicate corruption and set this great nation onto the path of glory, then give me it. Because, I will accept 'brutish', anyday, anytime, over 'silent works' and handing over control of the Nation's affairs to known crooks and pilferers. For this reason, amongst others, I say:Muhammadu Buhari is the man we need to set Nigeria back on the right track.

You might have poted the above in error:

Everybody in Nigeria knew that Abacha was an usurper, and that he was uncontrollably corrupt and was also involved in state sponsored murder, but Buhari who you paint in such glowing colours, still agreed to serve under such a man as the chairman of PTF. As chairman of PTF, he made his own cousin the sole consultant for monitoring and assessing the value of contracts. Afriproject consortium was so corrupt that at the inception of Abdulsalami's regime, fearful of exposure, Buhari's cousin committed suicide in his office. When the books of PTF were opened, the can of worms was so much that Haruna Adamu said he felt sickened by it. One body determined the contracts to be awarded, the payments to be made and whether the contracts had been satisfied.

http://www.dawodu.com/omokri1.htm
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Jan 15, 2011
jay_getta:

Kobojunkie, if Jesus was to reappera today, would argue him to a standstill the fact that the Bible claimed he was crucified on a cross. . . Unable to win against Kobo, Jesus would probably flee back to heaven into the warm, loving hands of his father. . .     

Translation -- I @Jay_Getta, like many others on here are afraid of being asked questions that are intended to course us to think outside of the cushy box we have created for ourselves explaining how things ought to work and how to interpret our surrounding.

Don't worry, I don't have time for your kind anymore myself. I have been on here long enough to know people like you aren't worth the time, especially if you cannot answer simple questions. I also tend to stay away from people who feel attacked when their irrational logic is questioned or they are called out on it. You are not alone though . . . in fact, people like you still make up the majority in the country called Nigeria.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 3:07am On Jan 15, 2011
Kobojunkie:

But you have not answered my question. I am not looking for a generalized sort of answer to this. I am looking for a more to-the-point answer to the questions asked. You have gone as far to believe Buhari the messiah the people have been waiting for and so I would expect you have probably considered all this.

How is Buhari, surrounded by corrupt individuals in the Senate and House, probably in his own cabinet, at the various levels of Government going to accomplish any of what you have suggested he will.

You mention the lack of infrastructure and discipline in the society, and we are speaking here of a society of over 140 million. How is he going to cause these millions from the corruption-as-usual mindset to one where they see themselves part of the solution to Nigeria?

If you believe that, fine. . .  I don't. I believe that one, he is a Nigeria and so it is not impossible for him to turn out like the others. Now, I do have to ask, what you think will happen to people like Obasanjo, Nwodo, Atiku, Saraki, Ciroma etc when and if Buhari is elected. Do you somehow think they will all disappear? Their minions will no longer do the work these goons pay them to do?

I believe Buhari or Ribadu have an impeccable anti-corruption history to be corrupt. Also, the radical change in our security system and operatives would drastically reduce corruption. Once they know the consequences that accompanies corruption, it would serve as a deterrent to the rest.
On the infrastructure,
I believe all he needs to do is to provide constant electricity and the economy would do the rest itself. It a simple solution.
On your second paragraph,
No, they would not disappear as they have not done so now but they would be demystified by their distance from the position of power. This would reduce their grip on people.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jaygetta1: 3:21am On Jan 15, 2011
@Kobojunkie: Lol @ "Ur kind"; I actually take that as a compliment. lol. (Applause from the audience).hahahaha. I have no problem with you. But I believe, I,and countless others on NL, are (quite frankly) sick and tired of your usual "round and round with no destination in mind" style of debating. . . . Amateurish, childish, and irritatingly annoying. And that's just putting it mildly. You say my "kind" are the type that fill up Nigeria today. . . Well, seeing as I spent only about 8 years of my life in that country; and most of my character has been shaped by my environment here in The United States---and you were clearly born bred and raised in Nigeria--- would you mind me asking where you got your annoying character from? Since you love getting "answers" to your "questions", could you please endeavor to providing me one to mine? Thanx. @Beaf: While I do not doubt that Buhari's Nephew might have committed suicide in his office while serving as a PTF bigshot, my stance still remains that Buhari's reputation as someone who abhors corruption cannot be easily shoved to the side. Here's a man that has had numerous chances to enrich himself via the Nigerian treasury, and did he dip his hands in the cookie jar? NO! And that is categorically speaking! Now, compare that to a man whose WIFE is engulfed in a mind boggling (okay, maybe minion according to Nigerian 'standards')$3million + scandal---and you have a man who is not fit to be head of a High School charity fund raising committee; to talk less of heading the richest, resource filled,most Populous black nation on the planet as its President.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by nduchucks: 3:25am On Jan 15, 2011
Beaf:

Anybody unaware of each and every item on Ezeachi's list really shouldn't be here.
I have posted arguments for the gradual move of the ship of state toward true federalism. In every federal system, the rights of communities and individuals are sacred; they are upheld and resolutely defended.

A community or an individuals rights to property and land as an asset must be held as sacred, land should not be siezed by govt for any reason. A man from Zamfara should not be split from his kinsmen, because there are fears that his gold bearing land will make him more powerful than the nation (think Ayo Irikefe here), neither should economically unviable states be created for ethnic nationalism reasons. With true federalism, such primitive ethnically bigoted politics would be gone forever.
We need a Nigerian system that revolves around merit and individual enterprise.

The revenue formula will need to be renegotiated around a basket of policies, funding and frameworks that would span over an agreed period.

As always, these are my personal thoughts.

We don’t need the kind of reprehensible pomposity exhibited in the bolded part above if we are going to have a fruitful discussion or debate. Many readers have no idea what the items Eziachi asked about are, or who or what government implemented the policies.

I humbly request once more, that Eziachi or anyone else who can spell out what those items (particularly the 2 acts mentioned) are or provide us with links to where we can find the information, should do so as soon as possible. Stating that people who are unaware of the items don’t need to be here is a bit condescending.

Please posts the 2 acts in question  for all to see. It would be helpful if you all tell us which specific provisions of the acts you like or don't like.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 3:26am On Jan 15, 2011
jason123:

I believe Buhari or Ribadu have an impeccable anti-corruption history to be corrupt. Also, the radical change in our security system and operatives would drastically reduce corruption. Once they know the consequences that accompanies corruption, it would serve as a deterrent to the rest.

You are still not answering the question. I know of Buhari's past, and I lived it and enjoyed all 20 months of it . But like so many others, we would like to know the How -- what the strategy is. We want to know what the game plan is. This is not america where you can satisfy people with promises. This is Nigeria where some of us are sick and tired of hearing the same old promises shoved at us.

How does Buhari intend to clean up the system when it is highly likely those who he will be fighting against will be in charge in the Senate/Houses, in state houses etc. How does he plan to actually accomplish any of this? How exactly is he going to sensitize Nigerians who are themselves knee deep in corruption?

jason123:

On the infrastructure,
I believe all he needs to do is to provide constant electricity and the economy would do the rest itself. It a simple solution.

How does he plan to provide us with constant electricity? Obasanjo, Yar adua, even Jonathan who have made us so many promises and spent billions of our dollars, have not been able to accomplish that. Why should anyone believe any other gomoro that comes through the door claiming he can get us electricity when the mumuni's before have only succeeded in making fools out of us?

You claim it is a simple solution --- on paper sure, but in reality apparently NOT.

jason123:
On your second paragraph,
No, they would not disappear as they have not done so now but they would be demystified by their distance from the position of power. This would reduce their grip on people.

How can one man reduce the grip these people have worked decades to gain & hang on to?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 3:38am On Jan 15, 2011
Thanks for asking those questions

First of all, I support ACN and therefore I support Ribadu.
POWER AND ALLIED INFRASTRUCTURE
A country determined to compete in a 21st century marked by globalization, nations fiercely
competing for markets and jobs, and rapid technological advances must have 21st century
infrastructure to drive this project. Decades of underinvestment, policy incoherence and a failure to
appreciate the crucial role of modern infrastructure in economic development and social cohesion
has put Nigeria in the class of stragglers in this global race.
The proposals on power and other infrastructure are designed to reverse this state of affairs. We will
resist the temptation to adopt an omnibus, catch-all strategy, promising to tackle all facets of the
infrastructural decay at once. This is not a realistic approach, given the enormous capital
requirements, the complexity of the challenge, and the time needed to properly plan a workable and
sustainable intervention strategy.
We will focus on three main segments of the nation’s infrastructure needs namely, power, railways,
and road construction and maintenance. The fundamental goals of our power and infrastructure
policy are job creation, economic development in general, and a properly interconnected Nigerian
nation where people, goods and ideas can move freely and efficiently at minimal cost.
Power
Inadequate power supply restricts socio-economic activities, limits economic growth and adversely
affects the quality of life. Electricity supply in Nigeria is grossly inadequate as total installed capacity
is far less than demand.
The current supply system relies essentially on natural gas and hydro (70:30) which are both
vulnerable to sabotage and adverse weather conditions respectively. The drop in water level in the
hydro power plants and acute shortage of gas supply to the thermal plants contribute to the
inadequate supply of electricity.
The nation currently has an installed generation capacity of about 10,000 MW, but an available
generation capacity of between 2,500- 3200 MW. Transmission capacity is estimated at 5,838 MVA
with a transmission backbone of 4,534km (330kv lines) and 19 major transmission sub-stations.
Our distribution capacity sits at about 8,425 MVA. Technical energy loss is estimated at 14% of
generation capacity (4%-transmission, 10%-distribution) Non-technical losses accounts for 32% of
generation capacity. Access to electricity is estimated at 40% of the population.
We will move to diversify the energy mix by introducing coal powered plants which will employ
clean coal technologies. These plants will be sited to ensure proximity to known coal reserves in
Okaba, Ogboyoga (Kogi State), Owukpa (Benue State) and Ezimo (Enugu State). We will also invest
in decentralized renewable energy such as wind, solar and biomass especially in rural areas, with
limited grid access.
We will provide fiscal incentives for private developers. We will implement pricing schemes to
promote load management and motivate customers to minimize their energy consumption during
peak periods. We will also ensure good consumer education on the most efficient use of energy.
We shall ensure capacity building within the industry and re-orientate PHCN personnel towards
customer- oriented service, productivity and efficiency and sanction recurring anti-customer
behaviour. We will introduce power consumer assistance funds for low-income power consumers,
who consume below a certain threshold.
We will bring credibility to the power reform process by ensuring that those we will appoint will be
above board, highly qualified and driven solely by public interest. We will stabilize power generation,
transmission and distribution in the shortest possible time while putting in place a sustainable energy
plan for the long term.

Corruption and Governance
Corruption has made it difficult for the country to invest in strategic areas of national life and also
give adequate protection to the citizens. Nigeria, in spite of the enormous oil revenue it generated
over the past five decades, still has one of the lowest per capita incomes in the world.
Our vision is not only a bold new system that punishes corruption but one that also taps into the
energies and innovation of our people to generate shared prosperity driven by honest labour, an
abiding sense of commitment, and a desire to fix our broken society and restore our shared national
values of honesty, integrity, discipline, hard work, and respect. The link between transparency and
democratic governance is not often recognized. Corruption only thrives when a government and its
key functionaries are not accountable to the voting public. We will restore transparency and
accountability in the conduct of government business by insisting that all those who seek public
office must do so using democratic means, relying on free, fair and credible elections.
It is not enough to bring the light to bear on people and processes in the public sector. Recent
incidents in the banking sector, the Nigerian Stock Exchange and the Securities and Exchange
Commission are clear indications that corporate governance is also crucial in the private sector
Regulatory frameworks under girding this vital sector will be strengthened and enforced.
We will work with the legislature and the judiciary to improve governance at all levels. We will
provide judicial officials with adequate security and other resources, including the regular training
they require to operate effectively.
We will empower our citizens to enable them fully participate in governance and also serve as a
countervailing power able to check the excesses of the government. We will assure ordinary Nigerians
through programmes designed to strengthen the rather fragile institutions of our still evolving system
of representative rule that democracy is an open system that gives each citizen and each federating
unit enough power to contribute to the important project of making Nigeria a prosperous, stable
and caring nation.

Finally, it is possible for one man to defeat the cabal. It's only possible with the help of his people and he would get the help once they notice he is a good man. Fashola is an example.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 3:39am On Jan 15, 2011
@ kobo
I got it from his manifesto.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 3:43am On Jan 15, 2011
OAM4J:

Getting interesting already.

The key issues that need to be addressed by each candidate representatives should include but not limited to:

1. Economy
2. Power
3. Corruption
4. Infrastructures
5. Education
6. Health
7. Peace/Unity
8. Federalism

Please we do not need the old vague, unintelligent slogan like " My candidate will do this", "He will provide that", "He will solve this or that problem" etc as much as we want you to answer the what question, we more importantly also want to know the How

http://www.ribadu2011.com/blueprint/policy.pdf
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 3:45am On Jan 15, 2011
^^^^My people, that should help you with your questions.
Pls, lets give the younger generation, our generation a chance. This opportunity may not come again and history would hold us accountable. Lets vote for Ribadu!!!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jaygetta1: 3:47am On Jan 15, 2011
@Kobo: Glad to see that in your usual "ignore it if I can't handle it" and "ask more of the same Even-Koranic and Biblical Prophets-will-have-a-hard-time-making-sense-of" (to talk less of being able to 'answer')style questions; you have 'systematically' avoided providing an answer to that which I demanded one for. I see, in your usual style, you have resorted to him whom you feel is not only a soft-target, but who you also feel you can run rough-shod over. . . . I hear you, my dear. And, in popular Down South parlance, I say to you: I'm here, patiently waiting . . . Kobo, I doubt the person you are posing your questions to claimed to be so personable with Ribadu that he happens to KNOW what his (Ribadu's) immediate plans as President will be once he attains that seat. We were asked to pose RHETORICAL questions, and answers, BASED ON ASSUMPTIONS! All I see you doing, however, is asking to be given FACTS based on the individual plans of the candidates. I sincerely doubt (even Beaf, as vociferously Pro-GEJ as he is) any one of us can do this. To this effect, maybe your 'questions' should be more subtle, and fashioned to mirror nature of this discuss instead of taking us on a path that is sure to derail this interesting thread.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 3:50am On Jan 15, 2011
Pls, remember that your GJ is the product of these same cabals that has impoverished our people for so long. He is a product of this same zoning that he has now jettisoned, pls, do not trust him. He has spent A WHOLE YEAR in power and what has he done? Has the country not been worse off? Were we not all talking about splitting the country 24/7 on this site? Is this the same person you want to reward with 4 years? Remember that his wife, our first lady was caught with a bag filled with money while travelling to the USA. PLS, LET'S GET THIS RIGHT!!! Vote RIBADU!!!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 4:49am On Jan 15, 2011
jason123:

@ kobo
I got it from his manifesto.

It's actually not bad. I mean it does not answer the question 100% but it is not bad at all. Only there remains the problem of how he intends to accomplish all that whilst surrounded by many of the same corrupt entities we have in office today. I mean the Bankole's etc, the new batch of thieves/legislooters, the governors etc.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 4:52am On Jan 15, 2011
Kobojunkie:

It's actually not bad. I mean it does not answer the question 100% but it is not bad at all. Only there remains the problem of how he intends to accomplish all that whilst surrounded by many of the same corrupt entities we have in office today. I mean the Bankole's etc, the new batch of thieves/legislooters, the governors etc.
I know. We also have to support him when he fight against these people. Pls cast your vote for Ribadu if you want any change in Nigeria. God bless our country!!!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 4:54am On Jan 15, 2011
jason123:

I know. We also have to support him when he fight against these people. Pls cast your vote for Ribadu if you want any change in Nigeria. God bless our country!!!

I don't think so. A vote for Ribadu is a vote for Tinubu, and possibly all his family members, and that I cannot stand for.  tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

2020: Obaseki May Defect To PDP / Executive Order 10: Real Reasons Governors Dragged Buhari To Court / On Biafra And Lower Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.