Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,166 members, 7,835,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First (20668 Views)

Africa: And The First Shall Become The Last, And The Last First. / Time For Bible Questions. Ask And It Shall Be Answered / "And Ye Shall Be Hated Of All Men For My Name's Sake" - Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Adedotguy: 10:02am On May 24, 2020
Glory

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Fragility6: 10:02am On May 24, 2020
[s][/s]
post=89901591:
Let us explain as simple as we can.

What is the meaning of last shall be first and the first, last?

Bible Question:

Matthew 19:30 mean that Christians who are first in this life will be last in the kingdom and Christians who are last in this life will be first in the kingdom?

Bible Answer:

The phrase “first will be last and the last, first” can be found in four major passages of the Bible: Matthew 19:30; 20:16; Mark 10:31 and Luke 13:30. Both Matthew 19:30 and Mark 10:31 are about the same parable. There are only two different events in the Bible, let us quote one of them.

Parable of the Vineyard

The first time the phrase “first will be last and the last will be first” occurs in scripture is in Matthew 19:29-30.
It introduces a parable which begins and ends with this phrase. Jesus had just told the disciples that it was hard for a wealthy person to enter heaven (Matt. 19:23-26). The Jews believed that wealthy people could gain God’s favor and righteousness by giving money (alms).
This was a surprise to Peter. Here is Peter’s response.

Then Peter answered and said to Him, “Behold, we have left everything and followed You; what then will there be for us?” Matthew 19:27

In essence Peter is asking,
“Then how can I get into heaven if even the wealthy cannot?”
Therefore, Jesus explains by using a parable about a vineyard owner who hires some laborers in the morning to work his vineyard.
Throughout the day he continues hiring others to work the vineyard.
Finally, Jesus repeats the statement “the first will be last and the last will be first” for emphasis.
At the end of the parable the phrase is actually reversed.

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name’s sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last; and the last, first. Matthew 19:29-30 

Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?’ So the last shall be first, and the first last. Matthew 20:15-16 

In the context of the passage, the phrase “the first will be last and the last will be first” does not mean one person gains more honor than another.
It means that while a person may be first in this life with honor or wealth, that is not true in God’s kingdom. Salvation or eternal life is not earned by one’s status in this life.

From all of us @ [color=#006600][/color] : Have a beautiful sunday y'all!
[s][/s]
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Blackking98(m): 10:05am On May 24, 2020
HighWITCH:
Archaic Religious teachings that only sell HOPE without any substance. grin
Every religion has an expiry date, including yours. Go ask the Mayans, Egyptians, Greeks, or even the Aztecs.
But you'll expire before our religion does, that fact we're happy about

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by HighWITCH: 10:07am On May 24, 2020
Blackking98:
But you'll expire before our religion does, that fact we're happy about
In truth, you may actually expire before me. grin

2 Likes

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Righteousness89(m): 10:08am On May 24, 2020
Blackmoran:
My problem in that saying, is how will someone who have live a life of sin commit so much atrocity, all of a sudden on his sick bed dying he remember to give is life to christ.. And he makes heaven.. Isn't that contradictory of what you sow you reap?

That's the Mercifulness of GOD. And we can't Question HIM.
Some deaths are Privileged deaths!

Not everyone has that opportunity!
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Blackking98(m): 10:10am On May 24, 2020
HighWITCH:

In truth, you may actually expire before me. grin
Dream on cheesy grin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by lekbel09(m): 10:11am On May 24, 2020
Blackmoran:
My problem in that saying, is how will someone who have live a life of sin commit so much atrocity, all of a sudden on his sick bed dying he remember to give is life to christ.. And he makes heaven.. Isn't that contradictory of what you sow you reap?
Your answer is in James 2 vs 13

God's mercy prevaileth over judgement.
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by olatunde666: 10:13am On May 24, 2020
Magic fingers to all hustlers out there regardless of this pandemic... May Jah bless. Eit Mubarak to all my Muslim brothers and sisters out there.

Let's wait for this hit "magic finger" coming to you from your one and only Don Smasher..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAj2uhaDu-r/?igshid=ac7spc4pv0ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rlFCauzSI
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by HighWITCH: 10:13am On May 24, 2020
Blackking98:
Dream on cheesy grin.
Is that all? grin grin
Death doesn't scare people like us...something you can never come to terms with.
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by dahmie2013: 10:13am On May 24, 2020
Thank you OP!

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by SeriouslySense(m): 10:16am On May 24, 2020
Every time the phrase “last shall be first and the first last” occurs in scripture it refers to the fact that one’s position in this life does not give a person an advantage in gaining eternal life or salvation. Every time Jesus uses the phrase, the message is the same. It does not matter who we are in this world or what we have done. Eternal life is for those who believe in Him, who are repentant of their sins and commit themselves to Him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by SeriouslySense(m): 10:16am On May 24, 2020
Praise God for his wisdom

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by emerged01(m): 10:20am On May 24, 2020
KomonSense:
Op...

It is very sad that Muslim Sallah celebration coincides with Christian's SUNDAY...

But mind how you preach on a Sallah day..

To avoid Jihad
How do you mean?
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Terver90: 10:22am On May 24, 2020
Happy acencion
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by olatunde666: 10:28am On May 24, 2020
Magic fingers to all hustlers out there regardless of this pandemic... May Jah bless. Eit Mubarak to all my Muslim brothers and sisters out there.

Let's wait for this hit "magic finger" coming to you from your one and only Don Smasher..

See as one of his fans dey enjoy the song for his newly arrived car ��

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAj2uhaDu-r/?igshid=ac7spc4pv0ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rlFCauzSI
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by OKTolu: 10:28am On May 24, 2020
Praise the Lord

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by winj: 10:29am On May 24, 2020
you have absolutely no evidence that "JESUS CHRIST Himself" wrote it, your only evidence is that white people came here to enslave and colonize Africa and they used the same trick you believe in today to achieve it.
Religion is mental slavery, only fools believe it!

2 Likes

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Blackking98(m): 10:31am On May 24, 2020
HighWITCH:

Is that all? grin grin
Death doesn't scare people like us...something you can never come to terms with.
grin may the god of assumptions be with u grin
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Kingpele(m): 10:32am On May 24, 2020
I pray am never among the first that shall become the last, please God save me from backsliding, I thank God for giving me another chance to be among the living

2 Likes

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Bobotic(m): 10:33am On May 24, 2020
Amen

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by vanPELaj(m): 10:35am On May 24, 2020
Nice Write up...The problem Christians are facing now adays is distraction. I tell people focus on urself and build a relationship with ur God.

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by oluwaseyi0: 10:35am On May 24, 2020
Radrusopsa:
One

This is a full time fraudster
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Tribalism123(m): 10:37am On May 24, 2020
The summary meaning is just HUMILITY. People tend to carry themselves pompously by thinking they are RIGHTEOUS than others and then assuming superiority to others.

By Jesus saying "he that comes first shall become last and he that is last shall become first " then passes the message of ALL becoming humble with what you are gifted or blessed with.

Some have wealth and become so FULL OF THEMSELVES.
Nebuchadnezzar was an old testament typical example. The Bible said "he was so blessed and greatest among the nations of the earth," but he was proud proud that "he made his wealth by himself" . God HUMBLED HIM by turning him to animal and live among the animals WHICH MADE HIM TO BECOME LAST AMONG THE LIVING.

Another example was Jesus himself. He was the greatest among the 13(himself and his disciples) which nowadays we call BOSS or CEO of his disciples. To exert HUMILITY by example, he chose to wash their feet instead.

The question we should ask ourselves is this:
Does our WEALTH, CLASS, FAME, RIGHTEOUSNESS, SPIRITUALITY, POSITION, STATUS, ENGAGEMENT, GIFT, INTELLIGENT, SMARTNESS, TRIBE, RELIGION, COLOR, COUNTRY, BELIEF, etc make us believe and BEHAVE or ACT as if we are BETTER( GREATER) than others and thus become first? The Bible says, u shall become last instead, but if u HUMBLE yourself and use what u have to the glory of GOD and not ASSUMING U ARE FIRST AND BETTER THAN OTHERS, truly, u shall be made FIRST.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Margy: 10:38am On May 24, 2020
KomonSense:
Op...

It is very sad that Muslim Sallah celebration coincides with Christian's SUNDAY...

But mind how you preach on a Sallah day..

To avoid Jihad

Jihad kill you there!

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Ingriid(f): 10:42am On May 24, 2020
Thanks for sharing this OP. That no 2 really got me and I suggest we all meditate on it.

Working for the Lord and not walking with God. If u are a prayer warrior and u still harbour evil or hate ur neighbour,pls change. If u are a lady singing in choir on sundays, while on Saturday u go to boo’s house and do d ‘DO’, pls change.

Nobody is holy but God, we should strive to walk with God and not just work for God. Shalom!

1 Like

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Nobody: 10:42am On May 24, 2020
Thanks for sharing

Righteousness89:

Matthew 21:28-31, Luke 18:9-14

These words were Repeated by JESUS CHRIST Himself.
Matthew 19:30, Matthew 20:16, Mark 10:31, Luke 13:30.

We should not be Carried away in our WORK for GOD to the Detriment of our WALK with GOD.

It is not Enough for you to Claim you Know GOD. The Question is does GOD know you?

You Might be a Pastor, Bishop, Leader,Evangelist, Prayer Warrior,worker etc in the Church

You Might attend all the Services, Vigils, Meetings, etc

You may Have been the one that Started the church In your House, Nation or Community

You May have been Saved Since 1970 or Whatever

All these are Good but the Ultimate is What is the Current state of your Personal Relationship with GOD?
Does The MASTER know you ?

One of my Earnest Prayer is " LORD, may I not be like the park boys in a bus park that loads a bus with people and do not go with the bus" in JESUS NAME.

1cor10:12 " Wherefore Let Him that thinketh he standeth take heed, lest he falls"

FACTORS THAT COULD MAKE A ONE A CASUALTY

1. Being a Hearer of The WORD and Not a Doer Romans 2:13, James1:22-25

2. Working For The LORD and Not Walking with The LORD Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 25:11-12

3. Having a Judgemental Spirit: you are quick to look at people even in the church and call them sinners . Or you see someone and due to the way he /she looks you castigate Him or her.

Just as what happened on this site few days ago. I. Saw a lady who came out to share her Challenges.Some of the Comments I saw here put tears in my eyes. Because someone made a Mistake in the past should not be a reason to crush her down. Once Repentance is made, JESUS Christ Forgives instantly.
Many who were busy insulting her may be shocked to see the lady in Heaven while they are still here. The First will be Last and the Last be First!

4. Living by your own Standard of Righteousness. Luke 6:46-49

5. Murmurings, Gossip, tale bearers in the Church: you claim to be a Believer but you engage in gossips and unnecessary talkings about that Brother or that sister! This One dress this way or that way! Our Sister should beware of this.

6. Familiarity With The WORD of GOD Or His Servant: Many Believers are guilty of this.

7. Hunger and Drive For Positions in the Church and not Having a Position with GOD ALMIGHTY, the Owner of the Church.

Only the Living has a Chance to Amend. Its an opportunity for us to check ourselves and ensure that we are Walking with GOD and not Just Working for GOD.

It's an opportunity for us to check and ensure our Personal Relationship with GOD is intact.

It is Better For one to leave The Work for GOD and Settle your Walk with GOD FIRST.

Pastor, Woman leader, Choir, Evangelist, Prayer Warrior, Youth Leader and all that are Titles. They do not Take anyone to Heaven.

Our Walk with GOD! Our Personal Relationship with GOD ALMIGHTY is the ultimate!

Let Him/ Her that Thinketh He Standeth, Take Heed, lest He falls.

The First Shall be the Last and The Last The First.

May GOD ALMIGHTY Help us to Make Amends where Neccessary in JESUS NAME

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Nobody: 10:50am On May 24, 2020
Righteousness89:

Matthew 21:28-31, Luke 18:9-14

These words were Repeated by JESUS CHRIST Himself.
Matthew 19:30, Matthew 20:16, Mark 10:31, Luke 13:30.

We should not be Carried away in our WORK for GOD to the Detriment of our WALK with GOD.

It is not Enough for you to Claim you Know GOD. The Question is does GOD know you?

You Might be a Pastor, Bishop, Leader,Evangelist, Prayer Warrior,worker etc in the Church

You Might attend all the Services, Vigils, Meetings, etc

You may Have been the one that Started the church In your House, Nation or Community

You May have been Saved Since 1970 or Whatever

All these are Good but the Ultimate is What is the Current state of your Personal Relationship with GOD?
Does The MASTER know you ?

One of my Earnest Prayer is " LORD, may I not be like the park boys in a bus park that loads a bus with people and do not go with the bus" in JESUS NAME.

1cor10:12 " Wherefore Let Him that thinketh he standeth take heed, lest he falls"

FACTORS THAT COULD MAKE A ONE A CASUALTY

1. Being a Hearer of The WORD and Not a Doer Romans 2:13, James1:22-25

2. Working For The LORD and Not Walking with The LORD Matthew 7:21-23, Matthew 25:11-12

3. Having a Judgemental Spirit: you are quick to look at people even in the church and call them sinners . Or you see someone and due to the way he /she looks you castigate Him or her.

Just as what happened on this site few days ago. I. Saw a lady who came out to share her Challenges.Some of the Comments I saw here put tears in my eyes. Because someone made a Mistake in the past should not be a reason to crush her down. Once Repentance is made, JESUS Christ Forgives instantly.
Many who were busy insulting her may be shocked to see the lady in Heaven while they are still here. The First will be Last and the Last be First!

4. Living by your own Standard of Righteousness. Luke 6:46-49

5. Murmurings, Gossip, tale bearers in the Church: you claim to be a Believer but you engage in gossips and unnecessary talkings about that Brother or that sister! This One dress this way or that way! Our Sister should beware of this.

6. Familiarity With The WORD of GOD Or His Servant: Many Believers are guilty of this.

7. Hunger and Drive For Positions in the Church and not Having a Position with GOD ALMIGHTY, the Owner of the Church.

Only the Living has a Chance to Amend. Its an opportunity for us to check ourselves and ensure that we are Walking with GOD and not Just Working for GOD.

It's an opportunity for us to check and ensure our Personal Relationship with GOD is intact.

It is Better For one to leave The Work for GOD and Settle your Walk with GOD FIRST.

Pastor, Woman leader, Choir, Evangelist, Prayer Warrior, Youth Leader and all that are Titles. They do not Take anyone to Heaven.

Our Walk with GOD! Our Personal Relationship with GOD ALMIGHTY is the ultimate!

Let Him/ Her that Thinketh He Standeth, Take Heed, lest He falls.

The First Shall be the Last and The Last The First.

May GOD ALMIGHTY Help us to Make Amends where Neccessary in JESUS NAME
With all this your Bible quoting, I hope you love your neighbors as well as yourself?
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Timfreds(m): 10:51am On May 24, 2020
Blackmoran
post=89901822:

Not really.
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by Razy75g: 10:52am On May 24, 2020
ManchesterUtd:

comort fo here u ugly vulture meat seller
lol
Re: The First Shall Be Last And The Last Shall Be First by aspirebig: 10:57am On May 24, 2020
Honestly, I just read this passage early this morning.

This is one the passage in the bible that I really like.

Never look down on anyone.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

28-Year-Old Pastor Missing In Onitsha (Photo) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: 'Money Doesn't Give Joy' - (video) / Julius Malema To Visit T.B Joshua To ‘Ask For Blessings’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.