Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,514 members, 7,954,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:05 PM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (32080 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 9:57am On Jan 27, 2011
Gbawe:

Dont mind the 'olodo'. The next time some Nigerians , from the majority ethnic groups are arguing , even if erroneously, that [size=14pt]minority groups are not sophisticated enough to lead Nigeria [/size] , they will use the 'area champion' utterances of folks like Beaf to buttress their point i.e Patience Jonathan is "another man's wife" when she effs up but she is "her excellency" first Lady to all Nigerians when Jonathan needs to cited as an effective President.

Isn't it clear you are just a jumped up agbero?
You've always spoken from an ethnically bigoted position, so no real surprise. The greatest lesson of the present times is the one you keep foolishly ignoring, it is that ethnically bigoted politics is DEAD. Next time you wish to make caveman arguments, just ask Atiku and Ciroma where they lead.

Dimwit.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by maclatunji: 10:01am On Jan 27, 2011
That was even one of her better speeches, no be she talk say Goodluck and Sambo is a good people?

Don't worry, the Jonathan team have noted your complaints and they will work on it. If TB Joshua's English can improve to what it currently is, there is still hope for Madam Jonathan.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Lagosboy: 10:08am On Jan 27, 2011
It is a terrible shame to have this woman as our first lady, a country of intellectuals and highly educated people. GEJ with his phd cannot even help his wife by getting her a teacher to brush up her english skills, this shows that the woman, her husband and handlers are all lazy bunch of rogues.

Almost all western politicians have handlers to help them brush up their skills where they are lacking and there is no shame in it. Cameron, Clegg had to go through intensive practice seesions before their debate last summer to help them perfom well. It would only take 3 - 6 months of dedication to help this woman speak and read properly. They cannot be bothered anyway they are too busy stealing public funds that will not be buried with them in their graves.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 27, 2011
^^
Make una allow the woman abeg. Her First-Ladyship isn't by merit, it's an extension of her spousal relationship with GEJ.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 10:28am On Jan 27, 2011
Minority opportunist !
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by archive(f): 10:41am On Jan 27, 2011
I could only take 1 second of that. Ugh -please Nigeria I'm begging you
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by archive(f): 10:43am On Jan 27, 2011
Lagosboy:

It is a terrible shame to have this woman as our first lady, a country of intellectuals and highly educated people. GEJ with his phd cannot even help his wife by getting her a teacher to brush up her english skills, this shows that the woman, her husband and handlers are all lazy bunch of rogues.

Almost all western politicians have handlers to help them brush up their skills where they are lacking and there is no shame in it. Cameron, Clegg had to go through intensive practice seesions before their debate last summer to help them perfom well. It would only take 3 - 6 months of dedication to help this woman speak and read properly. They cannot be bothered anyway they are too busy stealing public funds that will not be buried with them in their graves.

*applause*
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 27, 2011
enter the new nollywood blockbuster - the 'first lady's speech'
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Gbawe: 11:19am On Jan 27, 2011
Lagosboy:

Indeed . Two things are in play here. Madam herself , because she lacks sophistication and grace , will typically insist that " I go talk and dem go listen because na me be first lady" . Of course her sycophantic handlers dare not disagree . In contrast, the handlers of Cameron (UK PM) can tell him that his wife is a liability as a public speaker and the prime Minister will concur because he must defer to the opinion of experts who manage image. Sadly , as regards politics, we dont do things in a sane way in Nigeria . A semi-illiterate Senator , only in his position through patronage, can shout down a technocrat anytime anyday in Nigeria to applause from an entirely sycophantic crowd .

All we see in Nigeria is indicative of how the patronage system , rather than appointment on merit, has gotten so bad that undeserving folks now routinely represent us in powerful/visible positions to the detriment of our nation. Jonathan himself admits he is not the best man to be President . Even if Patience Jonathan is completely illiterate we can all still accomodate her if she too will be gracious and selfless enough to do what is best for Nigeria. it is not by force for a first Lady to keep confronting the media in a language she is not profficient in . Even more laughable when that language happens to be the official language of her nation.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 11:42am On Jan 27, 2011
oyb:

enter the new nollywood blockbuster - the 'first lady's speech'

You know the government will ban that movie where it ever released. It wasn't for movies like this that the C-in-C offered to donate N200 million to the entertainment industry you know.

But seriously after watching the First Lady read that speech. . .

Cringe Cringe! !
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by oludashmi(f): 11:48am On Jan 27, 2011
Gbawe:

Indeed . Two things are in play here. Madam herself , because she lacks sophistication and grace , will typically insist that " I go talk and dem go listen because na me be first lady" . Of course her sycophantic handlers dare not disagree . In contrast, the handlers of Cameron (UK PM) can tell him that his wife is a liability as a public speaker and the prime Minister will concur because he must defer to the opinion of experts who manage image. Sadly , as regards politics, we dont do things in a sane way in Nigeria . A semi-illiterate Senator , only in his position through patronage, can shout down a technocrat anytime anyday in Nigeria to applause from an entirely sycophantic crowd .

All we see in Nigeria is indicative of how the patronage system , rather than appointment on merit, has gotten so bad that undeserving folks now routinely represent us in powerful/visible positions to the detriment of our nation. Jonathan himself admits he is not the best man to be President . Even if Patience Jonathan is completely illiterate we can all still accomodate her if she too will be gracious and selfless enough to do what is best for Nigeria. it is not by force for a first Lady to keep confronting the media in a language she is not profficient in . Even more laughable when that language happens to be the official language of her nation.
What else do I say? wink
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Orikinla(m): 1:02pm On Jan 27, 2011
PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

Don't blame Dame Patience Goodluck EBELE AZIKIWE JONATHAN,
Blame the husband who has a Ph.D, but cannot teach his wife to read like a well educated DAME!

When he was launching his Bring Back the Book campaign with Ben Murray-Bruce all over him like a body guard, he should have started from his bedroom.
Charity begins at home.

GEJ: Patience darling
PATIENCE: Yes, Goody.
GEJ: Have you read "My Friends And I - Conversations on Policy And Governance Via Facebook'"?
PATIENCE: Goody, I beg. Na book I com read for Aso Villa. I wan go Dubai o for Valentine shopping oh.
(Before GEJ says, "Okrika wake up", PATIENCE wraps her thighs around him and he is speechless.)
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by archive(f): 1:14pm On Jan 27, 2011
fstranger1:

Alhaji Ucheze, make i helep you,

It is spelled 'Thread'not thrend!

Ok?

ROTFL!!!!!! I'm dying here!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 1:16pm On Jan 27, 2011
Orikinla:

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

Don't blame Dame Patience Goodluck EBELE AZIKIWE JONATHAN,
Blame the husband who has a Ph.D, but cannot teach his wife to read like a well educated DAME!

When he was launching his Bring Back the Book campaign with Ben Murray-Bruce all over him like a body guard, he should have started from his bedroom.
Charity begins at home.

GEJ: Patience darling
PATIENCE: Yes, Goody.
GEJ: Have you read "My Friends And I - Conversations on Policy And Governance Via Facebook'"?
PATIENCE: Goody, I beg. Na book I com read for Aso Villa. I wan go Dubai o for Valentine shopping oh.
(Before GEJ says, "Okrika wake up", PATIENCE wraps her thighs around him and he is speechless.)

Bawss1 likes this

You just killed me there!   grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Okrika wake up indeed.  cheesy cheesy
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 1:58pm On Jan 27, 2011
If we are saying we want our nation to be taken seriously on the world stage and serve as a beacon of hope to blacks in the diaspora we need to ensure that the people representing us are people who will make us feel proud to be nigerians not people who will expose us to scorn and ridicule.

I remember when i saw Michelle Obama make a speech for the first time in public, i was so impressed, she was well spoken, graceful and humble, despite her Princeton and Harvard background she came across as grounded and sincere. I know a lot of black people felt proud just having her up there with Obama because she was demonstrating to the world that black people and in particular black women are capable of being intelligent, high acheivers.

By the same token I would like to be able to look at nigeria's first lady and feel the same sense of admiration and pride but instead what you have is someone who makes you want to hang your head in shame each time she opens her mouth.

The office of the first lady is taken seriously in western nations because to some extent it it is seen as an extension of the premier's office, this is probably why the majority of western leaders marry well educated women who are able to hold their own in public.

I dont like to compare nigeria to the west because we still have a way to go but there is no way any foreign head of state whose wife is not capable of reading a prepared speech would be allowed anywhere near a podium because that would attract such negative publicity for the politician and ultimately damage his political career.

In nigeria the reverse is the case because as Gbawe correctly stated nigeria is run on a system of patronage and bribery these leaders could not give a damn what the nigerian electorate think of them, hence their total disregard for how they come across.

I was not a fan of the late Stella Obasanjo but i have to say that she was light years ahead of this woman - she was well spoken and could comport herself well in public as can be seen in this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzzjFUEPD0w
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 27, 2011
this may help

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

never too late to learn, so they say. . .
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 2:38pm On Jan 27, 2011
oyb:

this may help

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

never too late to learn, so they say. . .

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin - I fear this may be a little too advanced for "Dame" Patience
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ADint(m): 2:56pm On Jan 27, 2011
She was slow and deliberate while reading her speech. . . but I don't see much else wrong with it. . . could still understand her. Some well educated public figures have been known to come across like that when making speeches in public, MKO and Madam Ibru are well know examples, not to talk of our politicians! Even in the western world you need to hear some of these public figures read speeches!

Some brushing up won't go amiss though, but she was a lot better than the thread headline suggested.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by houvest: 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2011
[/quote][quote author=Gbawe link=topic=593399.msg7610504#msg7610504 date=1296087723]
Dont mind the 'olodo'. The next time some Nigerians , from the majority ethnic groups are arguing , even if erroneously, that minority groups are not sophisticated enough to lead Nigeria , they will use the 'area champion' utterances of folks like Beaf to buttress their point i.e Patience Jonathan is "another man's wife" when she effs up but she is "her excellency" first Lady to all Nigerians when Jonathan needs to cited as an effective President.

Gbawe did you type this in error? That does not sound like the you I have been reading. What has minority or majority got with sophistication in leadership? Though you put a caveat for an escape, I still find citing such an example distasteful and very much unlike you or am I missing something?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by DeeJay20: 5:47pm On Jan 27, 2011
DUDES , HOW GOOD IS BIANCA OJUKWU ENGLISH, JUST CURIOUS!!!!

[flash=200,200]http://4.bp..com/_ugxe3Y71MsY/STGSjmhSnvI/AAAAAAAACH4/69ZXEtLvYR8/s400/BiancaOJU.jpg[/flash]

Anyway dudes, i guess i find out soon, she gonna get alot
of youtube hits when she starts speaking in her official capacity!!!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by NegroNtns(m): 5:49pm On Jan 27, 2011
The problem is not with her.  Her inability to read fluidly can be excused on the grounds that she might not have imagined ever being a first lady and in the demanding position to appear in public and perform ceremonial duties which might include reading.  

However, I think her assistants and the protocol officers ought to be fired for unpatriotic officiating of the occassion.  They are responsible for ensuring that the first lady is at all times presented and handled as a national treasure.  They flunked this opportunity!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 5:56pm On Jan 27, 2011
^^ If she never dreamt of being a first lady then she should spare us all the embarrassment and stay away from public speaking.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by NegroNtns(m): 6:25pm On Jan 27, 2011
Her nature as a woman should not be relegated because of her official position as first lady. All women are naturally exhibitionists and some are conservative in that expression while others are loud with it but nonetheless it is a common expression in all. Of course she will have the desire to speak and be seen in public and recognised as the first lady, this is in keeping withtraditions but it does not mean that the request be granted her if and when that desire conflicts with the best image of the country.

She does not own her speech in public, we the people own it, . .and the assistants are paid frompublic coffer to safeguard the presentation of that speech by her. If the rendering will cause us emabarassment, then our collective interests must be protected.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Gbawe: 6:25pm On Jan 27, 2011
houvest:

Gbawe did you type this in error? That does not sound like the you I have been reading. What has minority or majority got with sophistication in leadership? Though you put a caveat for an escape, I still find citing such an example distasteful and very much unlike you or am I missing something?

the point is that I will suport anyone , from any part of Nigeria , who appears sophisticated and erudite enough to understand the complexities of Nigeria with an attendant need to lead the nation without bias or favour. My point to Beaf is that he is talking like an uncouth 'local champion' who sees the need to defend his region and "his people" above everything else always in the same way that led to Nigerians calling GEJ the "ND President" or "MEND President".  Don't forget the noise that followed Jonathan's premature exoneration of MEND , after the independent day bombing. In a nation like Nigeria , if we are being truthful, There will always be questions over wether some individuals from a minority group have the neccessary sophistication or exposure to appreciate Nigeria as a whole.

If you begin to call the first lady to all Nigerians as "another man's wife " or you say , as President to all Nigerians , that "I know my people (MEND ) and they did not do this" then it is fairly obvious that some Nigerians will think some folks do not have sophistication that goes beyond their village or region. The leaders who will gain the backing of all Nigerians will be one everyone can relate to . The fans of Jonathan need to be more sophisticated in their talk otherwise some folks would posit that , through their continuous "dem against us talk" , they are just not able to rise above being from a minority region enough to recognise and be secure in their own abilities to lead everyone from every region.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by houvest: 12:30am On Jan 28, 2011
I beg to dis agree with you here. It appears to me  to be some sort of bigotry to associate once capabilities or not to his place or Zone of origin. I do not, like many, agree with hasty verdicts of ineptitude on GEJ despite the few mis-steps you mentioned. Even if we assume but not conceeding that he is, should he not be held accountable minus his place of origin. I'm baffled at such logic. Granted that one's place of origin affects his outlook on life, I believe that leadership is a gift and anybody from any where can have it. We've seen past and present sophisticated leadership from the minorities and also have seen HORRIBLE, WASTEFUL, THIEVING, INEPT AND DEVIL-MAY-CARE leadership from the majorities. So please let us seperate issues properly. It is even more wrong to assume that fans of Jonathan are only or mostly from the minorities. So so wrong. Even here on NL, It even appears that the minorities are very few on his fan base and I have not ran into any argument where his fans are propagating a 'dem against us talk'. Can you point me to any. I personally think that folks like Beaf are very logical in their presentations more often than not, even if tenacious to the point of obstinacy that may leave some bad taste in the mouth of their opponents. Making a reductionist classification of their arguments is just what it is; reductionism, a small step from bigotry.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 28, 2011
houvest:

I beg to dis agree with you here. It appears to me to be some sort of bigotry to associate once capabilities or not to his place or Zone of origin. I do not, like many, agree with hasty verdicts of ineptitude on GEJ. Even if we assume but not conceeding that he is, should he not be held accountable minus his place of origin. I'm baffled at such logic. Granted that one's place of origin affects his outlook on life, I believe that leadership is a gift and anybody from any where can have it. We've seen past and present sophisticated leadership from the minorities and also have seen HORRIBLE, WASTEFUL, INEPT AND DEVIL-MAY-CARE leadership from the majorities. So please let us seperate issues properly.

This is not about GEJ, this is about Patience and her national position.

Nobody should be looking at GEJ, apart from not imposing communication lesson on his wife, he's not guilty of her "flaws".
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by redsun(m): 12:37am On Jan 28, 2011
Nigerian leadership so far has been a curse,it is nothing to write home about.I don't see anything blessed about nigerian leaders,all i see are devil incarnates with the exception of Idiagbon
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Gbawe: 1:25am On Jan 28, 2011
houvest:

I beg to dis agree with you here. It appears to me to be some sort of bigotry to associate once capabilities or not to his place or Zone of origin. I do not, like many, agree with hasty verdicts of ineptitude on GEJ. Even if we assume but not conceeding that he is, should he not be held accountable minus his place of origin. I'm baffled at such logic. Granted that one's place of origin affects his outlook on life, I believe that leadership is a gift and anybody from any where can have it. We've seen past and present sophisticated leadership from the minorities and also have seen HORRIBLE, WASTEFUL, INEPT AND DEVIL-MAY-CARE leadership from the majorities. So please let us seperate issues properly.

you misunderstand me . Let me give you an example that can make it clearer . In the UK , if a black man (especially if African) rises to a position of authority , wether in the public or private sector, he will be scrutinised , far more than others , for his ability to lead on behalf of everyone because of how a white majority has already concluded he cannot lead with equity, focus and fairness. We even see this in some of Obama's travails . The best thing a black man can do in this position , as an unfavoured minority , is to lead by the book with ingenuity , transparency and zero favourism. It is what many of us have faced and conquered in the diaspora . You will even encounter white folks who cannot stand taking instructions from a black man even when he is the boss and has earned that priviledge through merit . We have the same going on in Nigeria with how some nearnderthal folks think they cannot defer to a President from a region they don't "reckon with" . The onus is therefore on this "unfancied" President , and his fans , to desist from speaking in a "dem against us" manner so they convince Nigerians that we have a leader prepared to do what is best for every Nigerian as per his oath of office. let Jonathan provide robust and equitable leadership of all Nigeria that will not be found wanting when ethnic allegiances are called into consideration. Let his fans also learn to speak as Nigerians supporting a Nigerian rather than as local champions supporting their area father. You are a smart leader when you adjust your leadership style to what obtains on the ground.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 1:41am On Jan 28, 2011
^
Dude, I have NEVER seen single constructive article posted by you on NL. There is no single article or post from you on how we can solve any particular problem (say federalism or power generation); you stream negativity, condemnation and abuse 100% of the time, things you attempt to veil in clever arguments. Everything from you is 100% negative. Why?

Today, you have expressed the bigoted view that minorities are too unsophisticated to rule the country (a sweeping statement because, in all likelihood, you arent brave enough to name names).

There are quite a few of you in the "shout abuse and profer no solution" category; yourself, kobojunkie and redsun being the most prominent. Shame on you all.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by houvest: 2:09am On Jan 28, 2011
@ Gbawe

I for one do not believe in this majority/ minority nonsense. So from your 'clearer' explanation, we should have a different set of rules for the minorities and a another for the so-called majorities? SMH. Is this not some sort of apartheid? Even if such holds for Blacks in Europe and Us, certainly not here at home. This is all so nauseating and I really feel sick hearing this from one like you. I am really alarmed at such closet views of respected Nlanders. Does it mean that secretly we do not actually believe that we are all eqaul? Disturbing. Which of the ex leaders  of Nigeria can you point to as filled with sophistication? Counting Ahmadu Bello, Shehu Shagari, OBJ and Yaradua and leaving out the military? How come their sophistication left Nigeria in this present state? Now include the military and see that to all intents and purposes Nigeria is yet to get a great Leader both from the minorities and the majorities. Why not let's try GEJ. He might turn out to be it. It is morning yet on creation day so FGS let's give him a chance.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Gbawe: 2:25am On Jan 28, 2011
houvest:

I for one do not believe in this majority/ minority nonsense. So from your 'clearer' explanation, we should have a different set of rules for the minorities and a different one for the so-called majorities? SMH. Is this not some sort of apartheid? Which of the ex leaders of Nigeria can you point to as filled with sophistication? Counting Ahmadi Bello, Shehu Shagari, OBJ and Yaradua and leaving out the military? How come their sophistication left Nigeria in this present state? Now include the military and see that to all intents and purposes Nigeria is yet to get a great Leader both from the minorities and the majoriuties. Why not let's try GEJ. He might turn out to be it. It is morning yet on creation day so FGS give him a chance.

I have patiently tried to explain that it is not about that. you will see or not see what you want so pointless to carry on any conversation concerning why the onus is on Jonathan and his fans to move away from distractive evocation of "dem against us" ethnic politics and tactics in a nation already polarised along ethnic lines of distrust.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 2:26am On Jan 28, 2011
Gbawe:

you misunderstand me . Let me give you an example that can make it clearer . In the UK , if a black man (especially if African) rises to a position of authority , wether in the public or private sector, he will be scrutinised , far more than others , for his ability to lead on behalf of everyone because of how a white majority has already concluded he cannot lead with equity, focus and fairness. We even see this in some of Obama's travails . The best thing a black man can do in this position , as an unfavoured minority , is to lead by the book with ingenuity , transparency and zero favourism. It is what many of us have faced and conquered in the diaspora . You will even encounter white folks who cannot stand taking instructions from a black man even when he is the boss and has earned that priviledge through merit . We have the same going on in Nigeria with how some nearnderthal folks think they cannot defer to a President from a region they don't "reckon with" . The onus is therefore on this "unfancied" President , and his fans , to desist from speaking in a "dem against us" manner so they convince Nigerians that we have a leader prepared to do what is best for every Nigerian as per his oath of office. let Jonathan provide robust and equitable leadership of all Nigeria that will not be found wanting when ethnic allegiances are called into consideration. Let his fans also learn to speak as Nigerians supporting a Nigerian rather than as local champions supporting their area father. You are a smart leader when you adjust your leadership style to what obtains on the ground.

One single word to summarise the above, BIGOTRY.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

The Weapons Army Recovered From Militants In Ondo State (Photos) / Bandit Plays With Lebanese Worker: "Foreign Firms Pay Bandits For Protection" / Another APC Lies Busted (pictorial Evidence Inside)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.