Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (31492 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 4:50pm On Jan 28, 2011
Krayola:

Haha

I think the real joke/embarrassment here is that some actually believe that being unable to speak English "fluently" is an embarrassment to the country.

What kind of embarrassment exactly is it?

Thank you! You just killed it completely. Why are people so enslaved by the whitemans language? The strangest bit in the puzzle is, the cheerleader cap28 unceasingly rattles out crackpot conspiracy theories about how the US, the UK and the UN are teleguiding us, and how we are so enslaved to them. But it comes to his pet hate, GEJ and bang! He becomes the evangelist for mental slavery. Its a really scary irony!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 4:51pm On Jan 28, 2011
Krayola:

But she spoke, and she read. So that ^^, if it were true (which it isn't), does not apply to her.

She read a speech. I heard it and understood everything she said. I did not have to strain my ears or make any extra effort to understand her. I think your critique is a little too superficial.

I'm a stutterer. I guess my mother should have removed me from school right off the bat because I never had a chance.

I think the quality of your arguments are more embarrassing than Patience Jonathan. grin

Superficial you call it? Well to you and my fellow Nigerians, in my own reading standard particularly reading composure, I will score such reading as a fail. I'm sorry you are a stutter, and NO your mother shouldn't remove you from school; however, in my opinion, there is an ALWAYS an exception for disabled p that doesn't apply to a regular person who supposedly has reached a high social status and exposure. There is no excuse for reading like a local champion.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 4:53pm On Jan 28, 2011
Krayola:

Will u please explain how reading in a "slow and hesitant manner" indicates a lack of understanding of what one is reading?

if you listen to very young children reading you will notice that they tend to read words individually as opposed to reading words in fluid sentences,  in doing this they are not able to fully convey the meaning of what they are reading across to their listeners - its okay for a pre school kid to read like this as they are still learning and developing their reading skills but it is inexcusable for an adult who also happens to be the first lady of the most populous black nation on earth to be reading like that in public.

IMO she was not unable to read. She read the speech and I understood it. Many other people did too. I think it is neither accurate nor fair to suggest she is unable to read.

She read it - but with great difficulty, its unacceptable for her to have been allowed to display this obvious handicap in a public forum.

SHe did not seem to me to have difficulty reading english. I noticed she had difficulty with some names that i think were unfamiliar, but I don't think that is a problem. Foreign names are often difficult to pronounce properly.

You are simply making excuses for something that is so glaringly obvious, would you feel proud to have her read a speech in this manner at an international forum in front of foreign dignataries?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by stephen2(m): 4:55pm On Jan 28, 2011
@poster, you people should leave this woman alone, whether or not she can read or not is none of you guys business,
the fact that she can't read doesn't mean she's no longer the first lady of Nigeria,so all you haters should go blaze
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Steadyangel(f): 4:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
Pot calling kettle back
Watch n pick urself b4 involving someone else
Ve u watch Hausas speak English, dey speak English wit der Native tongue likewise some Yorubas n Igbos,
Don't blame d woman, she is tryn her best to c dat her children will b above her,
u guys should leave GEJ n family alone,

NO ONE IS PERFECT [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by JeSoul(f): 4:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
I clicked on the youtube link expecting to hear something disastrous. I just finished the video and I'm scratching my head.

Yes she spoke slow and was not fluid in the delivery of the speech . . . but for crying out loud, this is not a big deal as you can understand everything she's saying perfectly. Yes, she can certainly use some improvment but seriously, this is not a big deal at all. There are plenty of world leaders that are not very good in speech delivery - it doesn't necessarily reflect negatively on their intellect.

The beef against the first lady on this thread is wholly and completely illegitimate.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 5:01pm On Jan 28, 2011
First lady or not, how does that concern me? She is a human being and subject to criticism, just like every leader and their wives. If you cannot deal with the fact they I am critiquing her, well sorry. I’m not an expert, but I sure know how to read well, at least through the toast master club in college and even at my organization, we have classes, I have improved way better than my peers. Everyone is entiltled to their opinions, I would not refuse anyone of theirs, get used to the fact that people at some point in time has to improve. There is something called standards and expectations, and when those two are not achieved to a minimum, I don't know what to say again.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by UyiIredia(m): 5:02pm On Jan 28, 2011
tit_squeez:

at least she is not as bad as rita from koko mansion. that babe own na different level.

lol  grin grin grin >>> anoda level entirely >>> she get PHD na
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by zinzi: 5:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
i don blame her na d person dat prepared d speech na im i dey blame it should have been writen in ijaw and den translated 2 english. but seriously we need 2 do somethin about dis composry english 4 every body. our local languages are diein and we are here promotin another persons own. u see  chlidren of 16 and below and dey can not speak der mother tongue simple because der parents want dem 2 be speak english fluently. i live in fear dat one day go will wake up and our languages go don vanish and we will be left with english and pidgin. i pray we get someone who will do what mrs babangida did 4 ankara 2 nigerian languages. and a remider english is not d offical language in nigeria it is one of d offical languages
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by JeSoul(f): 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

First lady or not, how does that concern me? She is a human being and subject to criticism, just like every leader and their wives. If you cannot deal with the fact they I am critiquing her, well sorry. I’m not an expert, but I sure know how to read well, at least through the toast master club in college and even at my organization, we have classes, I have improved way better than my peers. Everyone is entiltled to their opinions, I would not refuse anyone of theirs, get used to the fact that people at some point in time has to improve. There is something called standards and expectations, and when those two are not achieved to a minimum, I don't know what to say again.
 If the beef is that the first lady needs to improve her public speaking skills - then that is a more than valid point.

However the prevailing sentiment on this thread is stating that she is illiterate or doesn't comprehend the words she is saying or that she needs to go back to primary school or that she is an embarrasment to the country . . .

all because she couldn't deliver a speech in a fluid manner?    
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 5:07pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

There are at least ten grammatical errors above. Shame on you.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by mrperfect(m): 5:09pm On Jan 28, 2011
See me see wahala, what is the poster want Nigeria to do?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 5:11pm On Jan 28, 2011
This is the type of nonsense I hear all the type; when u begin to speak English, you would forget your mother tongue. Has anyone heard of bi-lingual? Learning multiple languages?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 5:15pm On Jan 28, 2011
Beaf:

There are at least ten grammatical errors above. Shame on you.

Dude, you said shame on me? Why should I be ashamed of myself? Please come up with strong criticism, not this cheap a$$ shot…Try again.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by SSaemoenl(m): 5:18pm On Jan 28, 2011
No longer news. We want development that ALL i Care.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by tlops(m): 5:19pm On Jan 28, 2011
The role of first lady of any nation is an important one in that it involves a lot of public speakign arrangements and photo calls, a first lady in my opinion should be refined and well groomed in speech, attitude and mannerisms.

But she was not elected to it, she simply assumed it as Jonathan's wife, or are u suggesting GEJ should go shopping at unilag? the office should be scrapped.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 5:23pm On Jan 28, 2011
Beaf:

Thank you! You just killed it completely. Why are people so enslaved by the whitemans language? The strangest bit in the puzzle is, the cheerleader cap28 unceasingly rattles out crackpot conspiracy theories about how the US, the UK and the UN are teleguiding us, and how we are so enslaved to them. But it comes to his pet hate, GEJ and bang! He becomes the evangelist for mental slavery. Its a really scary irony!

Here comes GEJ sycophant extraordinaire with his upside down logic and inability to converse in a coherent manner without resorting to crude and immature abuse.

A man so desperate to champion the cause of an undeserving criminal couple that he is willing to turn a blind eye to Patience Jonathan's glaring semi illiterate state.

Do i need to justify my stance on international issues to you ?  Definitely not

Do i expect someone with your low reasoning ability and non existent understanding of international issues to understand where i along with  many informed individuals are coming from? - again - no

Not only is it apparent to most sane nigerians that Patience and Goodluck Jonathan are quite frankly an embarrassment to all Nigerians but it is also manifestly clear to anyone with an iota of intelligence that this couple's only agenda for the country is to carry on with their looting jamboree which they commenced during their tenure in Bayelsa State govt house.

Your desperation to derail this thread is now becoming quite boring and tired, why dont you go back to what you do best - kissing GEJs backside - if you keep it up long enough - he might just reward you by giving you a job as one of his drivers.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 5:27pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

Dude, you said shame on me? Why should I be ashamed of myself? Please come up with strong criticism, not this cheap a$$ shot…Try again.

If you feel strong enough to criticise another persons vocabulary, then yours must be perfect at the very least. . . Unfortunately, it is very faulty.
I guess you genuinely can't tell that what you've written above is closer to Pidgin English than English.
Be ashamed, be very ashamed. embarassed
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ziccoit: 5:36pm On Jan 28, 2011
ode remo:

grin grin grin grin
i love the way she was adjusting those sun shade as if she was fixing tha prob. saying guys
i dey fix probs, look at me.
lol angry grin grin

You would do better as a comedian. Honestly I don de laugh tire. Guy O foni gan grin grin grin grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 5:38pm On Jan 28, 2011
Beaf:

If you feel strong enough to criticise another persons vocabulary, then yours must be perfect at the very least. . . Unfortunately, it is very faulty.
I guess you genuinely can't tell that what you've written above is closer to Pidgin English than English.
Be ashamed, be very ashamed. embarassed

Criticism DOES NOT assume any role in anyone’s live; meaning that anyone can at any given point in time criticize anyone if they choose; there isn't any pre-condition or criteria that must be met to criticize someone. Just like you’re doing, you are here criticizing my written English; beyond doubt, I know you can do better. Can’t you? Please prove me right otherwise you know what to do. Also, reading and writing coincide together; although, this is Nairaland and not White house, but I’ll be more willing to write my words very well which wouldn’t be a problem. Again, I am not ashamed about my English; I previously asked why should I be ashamed of myself? You keep dabbling around without pointing to the main course of why I should be ashamed. Anyway, why waste my time on you; it's certainly not worth it.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 28, 2011
reading without comprehension

all these people defending patience would have a fit if their children read in this way

abeg can someone quickly analyse the level at which our first lady is reading  reciting

i remember watching an episode of roots where some fellow said he could read. he read alright, in a long halting, tortuos fashion. but he could not explain what it was he'd read
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Beaf: 5:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

Here comes GEJ sycophant extraordinaire with his upside down logic and inability to converse in a coherent manner without resorting to crude and immature abuse.

A man so desperate to champion the cause of an undeserving criminal couple that he is willing to turn a blind eye to Patience Jonathan's glaring semi illiterate state.

Do i need to justify my stance on international issues to you ?  Definitely not

Do i expect someone with your low reasoning ability and non existent understanding of international issues to understand where i along with  many informed individuals are coming from - again - no?

Not only is it apparent to most sane nigerians that Patience and Goodluck Jonathan are quite frankly an embarrassment to all Nigerians but it is also manifestly clear to anyone with an iota of intelligence that this couple's only agenda for the country is to carry on with their looting jamboree which they commenced during their tenure in Bayelsa State govt house.

Your desperation to derail this thread is now becoming quite boring and tired, why dont you go back to what you do best - kissing GEJs backside - if you keep it up long enough - he might just reward you by giving you a job as one of his drivers.

The brilliant part of the story you told above, is that, we the emarrassments are contributing positively to the country in ways that your conspiracy addled brain cannot fathom.
I read somewhere that belief in conspiracy theories (like fear of the dark, fairies, your own shadow etc) is a sure sign of schizophrenia. You should check it out dude.

Maybe you can tell us how Patience Jonathan is really an American White woman or something similarly crackpot, crazy and far out; that will be truly entertaining indeed and closer to the madmans tales we know you for. This weather-beaten attempt to be more British than the British is too weak.

If you aren't in love with Patience Jonathan, why not leave her alone? She is someone elses wife and you should respect that.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
grin grin grin grin

This Patience sha. What language was she taught in school?

If you know you have rocket lauchers in your mouth then stay out of limelight like Turai.

Those shouting colonial mentality,

Dont you think its colonial mentality for you to

go to an English speaking school?

Vote in elections instead of Monarchs

Use Internet instead of Town criers.

Use mobile phones

Use cars instead of horses and Camels
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 5:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
Alright Kids, Listen up. If you are one of those people that says you are alright with that silly scene on Youtube, please SLAP yourself real hard. Alright good.

I need to start by saying  "shame on Nigerian ladies". Look at your first lady. Is this the best you can produce? The position of a first lady is one that all girls dream of, now the question is, is Patient or na Patience Jonathan be her name, is she the type of person you want to grow to become?

A first lady is suppose to be the representative of all the female species in a country and here is your representative speaking and reading English like a 3 years old. It is highly pathetic. Sometimes it makes me doubt the competency of her husband. She has all the resources to herself and yet no improvement.

Lets not forget, she was once the second lady of bayelsa, then the first lady of bayelsa, then the first lady of Nigeria, damn,  are there no English language and etiquette teachers in Nigeria? Or is she just too dumb to improve on herself? And to those of you who says, its none of anybody's business, it's either you are silly or completely not-so-smart. The other day she was on the TV and my white friends were calling me up to come and see "My first lady" on the tv, i was so ashamed. One even asked me why was she speaking in Nigerian laguage when she is in the USA. I just smile and say, she is speaking English. I was so so ashamed.

Have you noticed the way the minister of woman affairs always look at her whenever they are together? To the sensible ones here, what do you think would be going on in your mind if you are in a meeting with your so called first lady and she is reading like this? Wouldn't you wish you could slap her or something? Or wouldn't you say to yourself you could do better?

And yet some of you come here and same some poo. Let her represent Nigeria very well, lest all this whitey people look lower down on us than they already do.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
“Our politics is without bitterness, my husband Dr. Goodluck Jonathan and Sambo is a very good people, !”

playboy19:

Alright Kids, Listen up. If you are one of those people that says you are alright with that silly scene on Youtube, please SLAP yourself real hard. Alright good.

I need to start by saying  "shame on Nigerian ladies". Look at your first lady. Is this the best you can produce? The position of a first lady is one that all girls dream of, now the question is, is Patient or na Patience Jonathan be her name, is she the type of person you want to grow to become?

A first lady is suppose to be the representative of all the female species in a country and here is your representative speaking and reading English like a 3 years old. It is highly pathetic. Sometimes it makes me doubt the competency of her husband. She has all the resource to herself and yet no improvement.

Lets not forget, she was once the second lady of bayelsa, then the first lady of bayelsa, then the first lady of Nigeria, damn, is there no English language etiquette teacher's in Nigeria? Or she is just too dumb to improve on herself? And to those of you who says, its none of anybody's business, it's either you are silly or completely not-so-smart. The other day she was on the TV and my white friends were calling me up to come and see "My first lady" on the tv, i was so ashamed. One even asked me why was she speaking in Nigerian laguage when she is in the USA. I just smile and say, she is speaking English. I was so so ashamed.

Have you noticed the way the minister of woman affairs always look at her whenever they are together? To the sensible ones here, what do you think would be going on in your mind if you are in a meeting with your so called first lady and she is reading like this? Wouldn't you wish you could slap her or something? Or wouldn't you say to yourself you could do better?

And yet some of you come here and same some poo. Let her represent Nigeria very well, lest all this whitey people look lower down on us than they already do.

shhh

like her husband, she too is erm 'inexperienced'

when you look at it from that angle, its just disgraceful. the woman does not have any job taking her time, ample money at her disposal, bettering herself should be so easy embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 28, 2011
dayokanu:

grin grin grin grin

This Patience sha. What language was she taught in school?

If you know you have rocket lauchers in your mouth then stay out of limelight like Turai.

Those shouting colonial mentality,

Dont you think its colonial mentality for you to

go to an English speaking school?

Vote in elections instead of Monarchs

Use Internet instead of Town criers.

Use mobile phones

Use cars instead of horses and Camels

forget english speaking school. these bloody hypocrites are championing a man whose kids are schooling under the us curriculum cheesy cheesy cheesy

small wonder. gej is taking NO chances with his kids education. tabon tabon 1 is a clear pointer to what happens when you dont
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Rhino5dm: 5:51pm On Jan 28, 2011
How does speaking/writting good English be a criteria for measuring one's IQ??  so chinese first class graduate is dumb as far as he does not speak/write good English. undecided

Personally i normally have headache putting out good English many atimes due to the fact that i have been expose to a multi-lingua environmrnt.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by dayokanu(m): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

How does speaking/writting good English be a criteria for measuring one's IQ?? so chinese first class graduate is dumb as far as he does not speak/write good English. undecided

Personally i normally have headache putting out good English many atimes due to the fact that i have been expose to a multi-lingua environmrnt.

What is Chinas official language? If a Chinese first class graduate cant speak his official Language then thats a disgrace
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 5:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^^^

So where in the constitution does it say that English is our official language?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
a word for patience and her defenders - silence is platinum  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
fstranger1:

^^^^

So where in the constitution does it say that English is our official language?

please do tell, what is our constitution written in? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 5:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^^^

Freedom of speech, you cant deny her that, will you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Ihedioha Speaks On Relationship With Chika Odionyemma Listed On FBI Fraud List / Magu: Prophet Omale Sues News Agency Of Nigeria For N1 Billion / Fani Kayode’s Former Girlfriend Cries Out Over Alleged Threat To Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.