Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (31495 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 8:01pm On Jan 28, 2011
I dare you fstranger1 post your picture here or in your profile, i bet you don't look an inch as good as michelle even with her WONKY TEETH and GIANT FOREHEAD.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by isalegan2: 8:03pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

Hows it going?

No what you did there was get personal and make a below the belt quip which has no bearing on Michelle's  abilities as first lady.  My criticism of Patience Jonathan has nothing to do with her personal appearance and everything to do with her inability to read basic english.  

Can you imagine for one minute what the american press would do to Michelle Obama if she read a speech using ebonics - can you imagine the way the whole of white america would descend on her.

Im actually quite suprised that you actually took such a personal shot at Michelle's appearance - i thought as a black woman you would know better than that, surely thats the domain of bit.chy WASPs?

hmm!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I'm sure you know exactly why I said it.  Tearing apart Mrs. Jonathan is a LOW BLOW. Same as focusing on Michelle's aesthetic flaws.  

Nothing to do with WASPy look, since I did not mention her skin color or any negroid features.  

Anyone of any race can have WONKY TEETH and a GIANT FOREHEAD.  

Do you see how unfair I think this criticism of Mrs. Jonathan is?

P.S.  Also, just as you think Mrs. Jonathan's reading and speaking skills can be repaired, so can Michelle's teeth.  Pray tell, are you gonna ask her why the hell she didn't get braces to repair her teeth all these years since Obama was a senator?  And the American press and public do care a great deal about physical appearance.  Trust me on that!  They say things!!!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 8:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
playboy19:

I dare you fstranger1 post your picture here or in your profile, i bet you don't look an inch as good as michelle even with her WONKY TEETH and GIANT FOREHEAD.

Are you gay? why the phucc do you want to see my picture? Leave me alone fagggot! embarassed

Just so you know, I love DDs more than anything else. Ask Isale and ileke? grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 8:07pm On Jan 28, 2011
isale_gan2:

I'm sure you know exactly why I said it.  Tearing apart Mrs. Jonathan is a LOW BLOW. Same as focusing on Michelle's aesthetic flaws.  
Nothing to do with WASPy look, since I did not menton her skin color or any negroid features.  

Anyone of any race can have WONKY TEETH and a GIANT FOREHEAD and a POOR GRASP OF A FOREIGN LANGUAGE

Fixed!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 8:11pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

You say that although Michelle Obama is a highly experienced and successful legal practitioner. So it is not a fair comparison moreso as Michelle was born and bred in a monolingual culture.
How many Nigerian housewives speak the Queen's English outside formal settings?

How many nigerian housewives make public speeches and parade themselves in front of tv cameras talking about women's issues?

Please compare like with like.  Michelle Obama is a first lady and the american electorate have certain expectations of a woman in such a position - like being able to speak and read english coherently, this is the same way we expect that Patience - the wife of nigeria's president should also be able to speak and read english coherently

She has placed herself in the limelight and on to the world stage, in doing so she has given up all rights to her privacy.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 8:15pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

How many nigerian housewives make public speeches and parade themselves in front of tv cameras talking about women's issues?

Please compare like with like.  Michelle Obama is a first lady and the american electorate have certain expectations of a woman in such a position - like being able to speak and read english coherently, this is the same way we expect that Patience - the wife of nigeria's president should also be able to speak and read english coherently

She has placed herself in the limelight and on to the world stage, in doing so she has given up all rights to her privacy.  

When did she place herself in the limelight? By contesting for the post of the First Lady?

Who knew? I for sure did not know she was voted in by the people of Nigeria for the post of GEJ's wife

Comparing like with like, hun? Princeton Educated Michelle versus what? You are very silly for comparing Michelle with Patience. Very silly comparison.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 8:16pm On Jan 28, 2011
fstranger1:

Are you gay? why the phucc do you want to see my picture? Leave me alone fagggot! embarassed

Just so you know, I love DDs more than anything else. Ask Isale and ileke? grin

I laugh in spanish jejejejejejejej

If i were a gay, i wouldn't like to phuck a not-so-smart person like you.

Between, why do you think y'ardua didn't choose his wife as his first lady? Why did he choose his deceased brother's wife turai. If you don't know Y'ardua's wife is in sokoto and non of you know her.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by villous(m): 8:19pm On Jan 28, 2011
1. 6 BEDROOM BUNGALOW ON A PLOT OF LAND IN ILAMOSE ESTATE OKE- AFA WITH Cof O

2. 3 BEDROOM BUNGALOW AND A FOUNDATION OF FOUR FLAT IN THE FRONT ( R/S) AT ILAMOSE ESTATE

3. 2 PLOT OF LAND TOGETHER AT ILAMOSE ESTATE AT THE BACK OF AJAO ESTATE TITLE Cof O

4. AN UNCOMPLETED 4 BEDROOM FLAT ROOFED (R/S) AT ILAMOSE ESTATE OKE AFA BEHIND AJAO ESTATE

5. 4 PLOT OF LAND JAKANDE ESTATE OKE AFA LAGOS

6. 6 Bedroom FLAT ON TWO PLOT OF LAND AT ILAMOSE ESTATE C of O ILAMOSE ESTATE OKE AFA BEHIND AJAO ESTATE

7. A PLOT OF LAND WITH A FOUNDATION OF TWO BEDROOM BUNGALOW IN ILAMOSE ESTATE OKE AFA BEHIND AJAO ESTATE Cof O.

8.TWO NUMBERS TWO BEDROOM FLAT AT THE BACK OF AFRICAN PALACE HOTEL OFF EJIGBO ROAD (R/S)

9. TWIN DUPLEX ON OKOTA ROAD IRE AKARI ESTATE C of O

10 2 PLOTS OF LAND ON NEWLY CONSTRUCTED DALEKO EJIGBO ROAD NNPC (R/S)

11. PLOTS OF LAND AT RONIK (R/S)
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 8:25pm On Jan 28, 2011
isale_gan2:

Nothing to do with WASPy look, since I did not menton her skin color or any negroid features.  

P.S.  Also, just as you think Mrs. Jonathan's reading and speaking skills can be repaired, so can Michelle's teeth.  Pray tell, are you gonna ask her why the hell she didn't get braces to repair her teeth all these years since Obama was a senator? And the American press and public do care a great deal about physical appearance. Trust me on that! They say things!!!

Michelle does not have any aesthetic flaws - she is an attractive woman who comports herself with grace and poise. She is also confident and well spoken, i have no idea why you are trying to attack her.

First ladyies  have to have a certain air of gravitas about them hence their somewhat understated look, I see nothing wrong at all with Michelle's teeth, i think you might be getting a bit too carried away with all these beauty shows that brainwash black women into thinking that if they don't look a certain way there is something wrong with them.

Again - id like to reiterate my criticism of Patience centres solely around her poor reading ability and not her physical apperance - it is therefore justified, if i had come on here and made negative comments about Patience's physical features you would be justified in defending her but i have not.

The minimum requirement for a first lady who will be engaged in public speaking is the ability to read english fluently, it is not a minimum requirement for a first lady to have perfect teeth although it will obviously help improve her image and therefore improve the way she is perceived by her audience/electorate.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 8:32pm On Jan 28, 2011
isale_gan2:

I'm sure you know exactly why I said it.  Tearing apart Mrs. Jonathan is a LOW BLOW. Same as focusing on Michelle's aesthetic flaws. 

Nothing to do with WASPy look, since I did not mention her skin color or any negroid features. 

P.S.  Also, just as you think Mrs. Jonathan's reading and speaking skills can be repaired, so can Michelle's teeth.  Pray tell, are you gonna ask her why the hell she didn't get braces to repair her teeth all these years since Obama was a senator?  And the American press and public do care a great deal about physical appearance.  Trust me on that!  They say things!!!

I thought if one wanted to compare, they compared apples for apples, oranges for oranges. I never knew they compared physical appearance to intellectual ability. My advice, don’t digress, please stay on point. The moment we start comparing physical appearance, and then you can bring up the teeth issue. Besides, like you said; Mrs. Obama wears braces, they are for medical purpose; correction of the teeth. Her problem is a medical condition and the last time I check medical condition doesn’t have a time frame, it’s come at any time. What if when Obama was president, and she hadn’t had tooth problems, so she should wear braces to correct her tooth that isn’t hurt, right? The American people care about appearance and her tooth is an exception to that event because it’s is medically associated not personally wanted. Just like when Justice Sotomayor was sworn in a U.S. Supreme Court Justice with broken limbs all bandaged up because of a fall at the airport, so we should say she should not use bandage because she is about to be a justice right?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by burkutu: 8:38pm On Jan 28, 2011
if gej knew he ll one day b president he wuld ve chosen his wife wit care.anyway,even wit his phd,he is not dat eloquent or articulate.so dem fit each other wela
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 28, 2011
burkutu:

if gej knew he ll one day b president he wuld ve chosen his wife wit care.anyway,even wit his phd,he is not dat eloquent or articulate.so dem fit each other wela
I don't know who you are but you should be very careful before coming out with such unguarded utterances about another man's wife and marriage.
IT REALLY IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 9:07pm On Jan 28, 2011
fstranger1:

When did she place herself in the limelight? By contesting for the post of the First Lady?

Who knew? I for sure did not know she was voted in by the people of Nigeria for the post of GEJ's wife

Comparing like with like, hun? Princeton Educated Michelle versus what? You are very silly for comparing Michelle with Patience. Very silly comparison.

do you have difficulty comprehending basic english?

first ladies historically have the option to either play a backseat role or they can chose to  place themselves in the limelight and engage in publicity seeking activities.  Patience has decided to promote her women's initiative project which means that she has opted for the publicity seeking option.  She forgot however, that  in order to promote such a project you have to have basic literacy skills ie the ability to read english.   

Try and use your brain this one time - no we didnt vote her in as GEJ's wife but she CHOSE to embark on publicity seeking junkets in a bid to promote her women's iniative project as a result she is no longer accorded the privacy that a private individual would automatically be entitled to as she is now public property -try and keep up.

I used Michelle Obama as an example of the calibre of first ladies Mrs Jonathan will find herself rubbing shoulders with, i dont know about you but if i were in the midst of well spoken, well educated men/women who could conduct themselves with ease in public and i was struggling to read a pre written speech, the last thing i would do is keep parading myself all over the world  displaying my inadequacies.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

BUT you are not comparing like with like. Comparing a successful, experienced Princeton educated attorney with a housewife from the  provinces of Nigeria  is just below the belt.
She never contested for any office by the way.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by jikings(m): 9:15pm On Jan 28, 2011
Peeps don't worry GEJ has already taken care of this issue, Jack Bower(Bianca grin grin) is now in house so she will be taking care of buisiness soon!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 9:20pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

BUT you are not comparing like with like. Comparing a successful, experienced Princeton educated attorney with a housewife from the  provinces of Nigeria  is just below the belt.
She never contested for any office by the way.

My opinion, I think you are missing the whole point. Whether she's educated or not is somewhat irrelevant to her inability to read and make a good speech. It is not below the belt because we are comparing like for like; both women are wives of current presidents of both countries, both were non-elected, both chose (no obligation) to speak publicly and both are held accountable for their public gaffe. Where they come from or otherwise is beside the point, bottom line is both are held to higher standards and expectations when in public and ignorance is certainly not an excuse.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

My opinion, I think you are missing the whole point. Whether she's educated or not is somewhat irrelevant to her inability to read and make a good speech. It is not below the belt because we are comparing like for like; both women are wives of current presidents of both countries, both were non-elected, both chose (no obligation) to speak publicly and both are held accountable for their public gaffe. Where they come from or otherwise is beside the point, bottom line is both are held to higher standards and expectations when in public and ignorance is certainly not an excuse.
You lot are so easy to read. You live in the States and you see how articulate and intelligent Michelle Obama is. So when you hear Patience speak you subconsciously start making unfair comparisons even though there are wide disparities in their education and exposure, and crucially Queen's English is very seldom spoken in the provinces of Nigeria.
Anyway it is what it is and it is up to her to seek help to improve her articulation and speech delivery.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Dgunnerz(m): 10:00pm On Jan 28, 2011
My view to this delicate issue is that we(NIGERIANS) should volunteer to help The First Lady develop her reading and speaking abilities instead of condemning her.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by poweredcom(m): 10:13pm On Jan 28, 2011
Hahahha , na wa oo There is BIG wahala in Nigeria
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nafifi(m): 10:13pm On Jan 28, 2011
Guys the first lady of the Federal Republic of Nigeria should speak good English no excuses, its really embarrassing, if na Hausa Man dem dey talk of una for don dey scream, now u r giving silly excuses as if na today u com Nairaland for the first time, every thing is discussed here and lets not forget we r talking of our First Lady, na wah I really miss Maryam Babangida, Maryam Abacha, Abdulsalamis wife ,
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Cupidkc(m): 10:36pm On Jan 28, 2011
Her husband(Mr president) beta do smtn abt ds, n fast. It doesn't say well of our great country naija.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 11:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
She speaks decent enough English IMO.

The topic reads " . . . . is unable to read her own speech"

Either the op no understood English, or he/she is being dishonest becuss from what I saw she read her own speech.

Why complain about someone's command of a language when you sef no sabi said exactly wetin u mean?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by BJO: 11:06pm On Jan 28, 2011
Most people on this Nairaland are just busybody. Pls, free the woman. She did not sound too bad considering who she was, is and, angry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by darkman200: 11:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

Do you really think that the majority of US public actually admire Michelle Obama? Outside the black population, polished and smart as Michelle is, she is just  another black  monkey. I'd rather Patience Jonathan speak fluent Okrika. I'd rather have a nationalistic and patriotic president who cannot speak a word in english language but has the passion and drive to lead and break the mental bondage that we have put ourselves in,  the need to blend and conform. No matter how good your english is,  you will never be one of them, so why the pretense? And some of the smartest scientists and politicians in the world did not speak flawless english e.g Albert Eistein,  The Iranians, the Russians, the Israelis do not have to speak english before they blaze the trail in both technological and political grounds.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 12:03am On Jan 29, 2011
darkman200:

Do you really think that the majority of US public actually admire Michelle Obama? Outside the black population, polished and smart as Michelle is, she is just  another black  monkey. I'd rather Patience Jonathan speak fluent Okrika. I'd rather have a nationalistic and patriotic president who cannot speak a word in english language but has the passion and drive to lead and break the mental bondage that we have put ourselves in,  the need to blend and conform. No matter how good your english is,  you will never be one of them, so why the pretense? And some of the smartest scientists and politicians in the world did not speak flawless english e.g Albert Eistein,  The Iranians, the Russians, the Israelis do not have to speak english before they blaze the trail in both technological and political grounds.

Dont mind these yeye people

EVen our Soyinka doesnt speak fluent English, how much more GEJ

These people just they yarn opata!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by kabukabu50(m): 12:23am On Jan 29, 2011
She sounds like a mental handicap. grin grin grin.My Mother is her age and she lectured English in an American University,not to mention also speaks and writes perfect in her local dialect.This thread shows how much Nigerians have grown to embrace underachievers.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by DaGimp(m): 12:28am On Jan 29, 2011
At Poster! Don't see anything wrong with what she said. Is it because she has an accent? That doesn't mean she doesn't know English. I don't expect her to speak with proper "phonetics" cos I doubt if you can.

She isn't like those fake Nigerians that go to Germany for 3 months and come back saying. "Yo men" or "Know what I'm saying".
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Natasha2(f): 12:42am On Jan 29, 2011
@ poster. You can be ashamed if you like but do you think she finds it easy? do you think adult education is easy? for me i think she is improving you don't expect her to be perfect. fgs leave her alone. most of you who claim to know English so well even make grammatical blunders even those who call them selves graduates of English what more this woman?  is it her fault she can't speak English fluently? is it her fault she is the president's wife? is it her fault she is the first lady? is it her fault she has to make speeches?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by darkman200: 12:42am On Jan 29, 2011
kabukabu50:

She sounds like a mental handicap. grin grin grin.My Mother is her age and she lectured English in an American University,not to mention also speaks and writes perfect in her local dialect.This thread shows how much Nigerians have grown to embrace underachievers.

How about putting up a youtube link to you mom speaking engagement and let the folks here rate her performance, Lets see how she fares against Patience Jonathan since according to you she got it all, I dare you! And of course proof that she is your mom, lol
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 12:45am On Jan 29, 2011
Natasha,,:

@ poster. You can be ashamed if you like but do you think she finds it easy? do you think adult education is easy? for me i think she is improving you don't expect her to be perfect. fgs leave her alone. most of you who claim to know English so well even make grammatical blunders even those who call them selves graduates of English what more this woman? is it her fault she can speak English fluently? is it her fault she is the president's wife? is it her fault she is the first lady? is it her fault she has to make speeches?

If you are wonderfully made, why didnt you post a pic in your profile for us to see?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Natasha2(f): 12:56am On Jan 29, 2011
see me oh so now it is my pic that is disturbing you any way the bible confirms it and yeah if you see me you will,
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 12:58am On Jan 29, 2011
^^^

So how hot are you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

Judiciary Could Have Set The Country On Fire, Reactions ToS’court Ruling On Kano / "The Card Reader Does The Following"- Jega / Osinbajo, Ajimobi, El-Rufai And Aregbesola Laugh So Hard At Launch Of Free Meal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.