Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,768 members, 7,813,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63921 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 8:19pm On Jun 27, 2007
There is nothing crazy about it, tribal marks are part of our culture and its not child abuse

my own pikins must have them on their faces, nice curved ones of equal length on each cheek

make una leave this oyibo-ism alone jare, if its not in your own culture, then its your loss

as for me and my pikins, we must have plenty marks.

@ osisi that man is a handsome yoruba man, very good example for the future generations. wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by nguage(m): 8:19pm On Jun 27, 2007
babyosisi:

I'm sure they also cry when they are given a bath,have you stopped bathing them?
Crying is a part of human nature.

How would you feel if you had a face like the baba above?
would you wish you never had them?
Tatoos too re painful, Chiogo its kind of obvious u are 15YO
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by chiogo(f): 8:20pm On Jun 27, 2007
debosky:

There is nothing crazy about it, tribal marks are part of our culture and its not child abuse

my own pikins must have them on their faces, nice curved ones of equal length on each cheek

make una leave this oyibo-ism alone jare, if its not in your own culture, then its your loss

as for me and my pikins, we must have plenty marks.

@ osisi that man is a handsome yoruba man, very good example for the future generations. wink

are u serious? shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TayoD(m): 8:22pm On Jun 27, 2007
@babyosisi,

I'm sure they also cry when they are given a bath,have you stopped bathing them?
Crying is a part of human nature.
Not when it is caused by pain.

How would you feel if you had a face like the baba above?
I personally don't like it, but I do not speak for everyone.  There are those who really do.

would you wish you never had them?
What diference would it make if I wish never to have been circumcised? The difference is that one is visible for all to see and the other is ehm very private lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 27, 2007
stop comparing oranges and apples dear.
I am still waiting to hear a person like the baba above tell us how beautiful he looks with his facial designs
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TayoD(m): 8:27pm On Jun 27, 2007
@chiogo,

here's a tribal mark from Burkina Faso. Do you notice how th guy wears it with pride?!

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 27, 2007
The word like and dislike does not even come in.
A man with a face like that can only live with it,there is no way,he can like them.
They are soooooooooooooooooo  ugly

what choice does the poor man have but to wear it with pride,lol
He can't hide his mutilated face can he?
I applaud him for daring to pose for a picture

There has been threads on what one wants in a husband and the physical qualities women want in a man
I've never heard a woman want a man with facial scarification,let's face it,it's very very unattractive to all.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 8:28pm On Jun 27, 2007
I have beautiful tribal marks and I love them, I wouldn't have it any other way, so do my sisters

as a result my children will have it as well on their faces wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by chiogo(f): 8:31pm On Jun 27, 2007
@Debosky and Tayo D

I understand what u're sayin' but not in this age and time. those days are gone. yes, the man wears it with pride but the time when people do such things is gone. Like i said, some yorubas make fun of other yorubas with tribal marks especially at school, i know a few. But hey, it's your choice since u love it and it's in your family. do as u please but remember it has its side effects so u be careful.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TayoD(m): 8:32pm On Jun 27, 2007
@babyosisi,

stop comparing oranges and apples dear.
How is comparing a physical harm on babies a situation of apples to orange? Both are uusally done based on tradition without the consent of the individual involved.

I am still waiting to hear a person like the baba above tell us how beautiful he looks with his facial designs
Did you ask him?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TayoD(m): 8:38pm On Jun 27, 2007
@chiogo,

I understand what u're sayin' but not in this age and time. those days are gone.
Traditions do evolve with time, but it isn't up to you to tell others what to do with their tradition.

yes, the man wears it with pride but the time when people do such things is gone.
You think so?

Like i said, some yorubas make fun of other yorubas with tribal marks especially at school, i know a few.
It is wrong of others to make fun of people based on their appearances. Those people should be ashamed of themselves.

But hey, it's your choice since u love it and it's in your family.
I never said I loved it, neither is it in my family!

do as u please
I don't need your permission for this and so do those people.

but remember it has its side effects so u be careful.
Circumcision does too. Infact, what doesn't?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 27, 2007
circumcision of a male is nor a physical harm,God asked abraham  to circumcise his people.
A man will not be harmed in anyway by circumcision,it helps them keep the area clean of dirt.

If circumcision and facial scarifications are the same to you since they are both your culture,why did you subject your kids to such a "barbaric " act of circumcision and refuse them the "joy" of tribal marks?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Iman3(m): 8:47pm On Jun 27, 2007
Male circumcision could reduce the risk of HIV and other ulcerative STDs
-[url]http://circs.org/library/quigley/index.html  [/url]
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/02_08_06.html
http://www.infoforhealth.org/popreporter/2006/12-21.shtml

I still don't know any practical benefit of tribal marks.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by chiogo(f): 8:49pm On Jun 27, 2007
lol @tayo d

i was referrin' to debosky, sorry. U made ur point. I get it. sorry. I've never made fun of such pple. am just talkin' of my experiences. U know how teenagers are.In school , pple wld always find smthin' to use to make fun of me, it's just causin' unnecessary depression for a young child.

Yes, circumcision does hurt but it's done every where in d world after child birth, if am correct and it's a necessity. I don't believe tribal marks are necessities. Like i said, it's ur choice and nobody  needs any permission from me to do anythin'. who am i, huh?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 8:50pm On Jun 27, 2007
laudate:

More info. on giving names to Igbo babies can be gotten from this journal:

Names and naming: Instances from the ORU-IGBO by Sabine Jell-Bahlsen
Journal of Dialectical Anthropology
Publisher: Springer Netherlands
ISSN : 0304-4092 (Print) 1573-0786 (Online)
Issue: Volume 13, Number 2 / June, 1988

Laudate--I was going to go down this route (I had already talked about Igbo naming ceremonies in another thread), but I doubt that anything you say would change certain minds so it's a waste of time.

BabyOsisi--there's a picture of an old Ozo chief with ichi marks on his face in the link I posted earlier. There are a couple of older black and white photos I could show you, but this thread is being diverted too much and I don't want to add to that.

I agree with TayoD--circumcision and cicatrization are directly comparable. Both are forms of mutilation practiced for cultural reasons. You might find one form of mutilation acceptable because your religion says it is, but it doesn't make it any less of a form of mutilation than facial marks. After all, the people who give their children facial marks often have religious reasons for doing so too, abi?

Children shouldn't have to be circumcized or marked without their consent. You can't objectively agree with one and not the other, IMO.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 27, 2007
I am yet to meet a man who regrets being circumcised but I'm sure many people have looked in the mirror and wished the hands that gave them those scars had been paralysed prior to touching their faces grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TayoD(m): 8:52pm On Jun 27, 2007
@babyosisi,

circumcision of a male is nor a physical harm,God asked abraham  to circumcise his people.
A man will not be harmed in anyway by circumcision,it helps them keep the area clean of dirt.
Common babyosisi, that it heals does not make it less a physical harm. The tribal marks also heal up and both practice leave a scaring. If circumcision is no harm, why then were Isreal's sons able to wipe out a whole town when they tricked them into circumcision?

If circumcision and facial scarifications are the same to you since they are both your culture,why did you subject your kids to such a "barbaric " act of circumcision and refuse them the "joy" of ibal marks?
Are you saying circumcision isn't in the Igbo culture as well? The fact that i choose to circuncise my kids and not scarifying their faces is a matter of choice. That is the point her. People have the choice to do what they will to a great extent, especially when it is in their tradition and within the bounds of the law.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TayoD(m): 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2007
@I-man,

I still don't know any practical benefit of tribal marks.
Neither do I. However, how many practical benefits can be weaned from most traditions?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 8:58pm On Jun 27, 2007
Why in the world is circumcision been discussed here, I thought the thread was about significance of Yoruba tribal marks. Is it child abuse ?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 9:00pm On Jun 27, 2007
they are beneficial, e.g if you are from Ibadan, and the Ibadan people are fighting Ife people, the fact that you have Ibadan tribal marks can save your life in that instant.

it also serves as a uniting factor among members of a group - they have common physical trait/symbol in the marks

Tribal marks are NOT child abuse - it is child beautification and enhancement

YES to tribal marks!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by nguage(m): 9:01pm On Jun 27, 2007
This thread is just one of those tribalist trash on this forum. If oyinbo man do am una go shine eye.
Lets compare notes, when my mom got hers, she did because it was fashionable. wen I got my tatoo, its because i thought they were fashionable.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by FACE(m): 9:31pm On Jun 27, 2007
Quote from Babyosisi
I don't know where you live,truth is that most tattoos can be covered by clothing,most are small and are not the first thing you see when you see the individual.

Quote from n_guage
My mom has one that is barely visible, she got it herself when she was sixteen.

Quote from Babyosisi
If they are barely visible, why did she get them? @ n-guage
for what purpose?
It's like getting a barely visible tattoo, why bother when it can barely be seen?

You know when someone argues for argument’s sake by the way the person contradicts his/her self in order to make cheap points.

How is it possible for you to turn around and disagree with your own line of argument just so that you can disagree with someone else with opposing views? Is it inconsistency or just argumentative nature on display? It is almost like arguing with ones self. Some may call that flip flopping.

Someone with an inherent bias would refuse to listen to logic in order to propagate that bias but hey, Face is not about to embark on a mission to reform the incorrigible.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by YOUNGDICEs(m): 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2007
i got a tribal mark on my face too but is not big like yorubas my is three lil lines on evry side of my face something like this. iii iii.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Arnold1(m): 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2007
FACE:

Some may call that flip flopping.

Babyosisi is the biggest flip flopper/hypocrite on Nairaland. All you have to do is read her posts to figure her out.

FACE:

Someone with an inherent bias would refuse to listen to logic in order to propagate that bias

You have hit it right on the spot !  

With her, the issue is really not about tribal marks per se, it is about her disdain for yorubas, which is what you have termed as inherent bias. You have seen clearly that there is more depth to this, and you are right, it is her disgust for yorubas that is the underlying factor driving her and giving her the drive to keep posting her non-intuitive points on this thread.

Be sure to find babyosisi on threads where something controversial about the yorubas is being discussed. She also has a knack for turning threads into a competition bout between yorubas and other tribes (especially the igbos).
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by camara(f): 10:30pm On Jun 27, 2007
didn't have time to read thru all d posts
yorubas and tribal marks YEAH RITE like other tribes don't have em
i have igbo,hausa etc friends that have marks on their faces too
so don't go on about yorubas cuz they's not d only ones doin it
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by FACE(m): 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2007
Sorry Arnold, but you have also posted some spiteful things about the Igbos in the past. Unless you have since repented from the hatred and immaturity you displayed then, I am not going to take any anti bigotry stand by you seriously.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Caradona(f): 10:40pm On Jun 27, 2007
When I was a young Girl. I used to think the Cat scratch my neighbor's face.
she had triple one on both sides of her face
plus she had lots of cats. i used to feel sorry for the woman not knowing it was tribal marks.
I beg forgive my mistake ooo.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Seun(m): 10:54pm On Jun 27, 2007
To those people saying they want to give their children tribal marks, why don't you let them grow up and decide for themselves whether they want the marks? Especially the girls, please. Don't visit your parent's sin on your children. I'm begging you please, don't do this wicked thing to them. it's not their fault that your parents did it to you. Ask your parents to apologize to you. Oh my goodness this is too sad cry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2007
@ogidiboy
I was in Yoruba land on my last visit to Nigeria and saw a whole bunch of folks with those scary looking marks on there faces, I thought those kinds of barbaric acts were banned a long time ago. Why in God's name would anyone in there right mind subject themselves to much mutiny?

which one is yoruba land?  Na state?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by temmyabby(f): 12:25am On Jun 28, 2007
debosky:

they are beneficial, e.g if you are from Ibadan, and the Ibadan people are fighting Ife people, the fact that you have Ibadan tribal marks can save your life in that instant.

it also serves as a uniting factor among members of a group - they have common physical trait/symbol in the marks

Tribal marks are NOT child abuse - it is child beautification and enhancement

YES to tribal marks!

child beautification and enhancement, u've got to be kidding
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:02am On Jun 28, 2007
Lmao
FACE:

Someone with an inherent bias would refuse to listen to logic in order to propagate that bias but hey, Face is not about to embark on a mission to reform the incorrigible.

That's typical osisi and Donzie for you. Lmao look at them going crazy about tribal marks. Hilarious cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 1:06am On Jun 28, 2007
@ temmy

No I am not kidding, I believe it will enhance the beauty and allure of my children

I can't wait till they are old enough to ask them, the same way I wont ask them if they want to be immunised or sent to school, or what names they would like to be called. I will do what I believe is in the best interest of my kids and that is to give them a long lasting cultural connection that will stay with them forever.

If my parents gave them to me and my sisters and we turned out ok, why should I deny my beautiful kids the same opportunity? that would be blatantly unfair.

once again I say YES to tribal marks, I wear mine proudly, so will my children.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) / Somali-Sudanese Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.