Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,955 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance (2002 Views)

Nigerian Man Dates Sisters;Proposes To 1,Gets Other Pregnant & Buy Her Home(Pics / Canadian Man Receives The First Successful Horse P*nis Transplant / Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by vaughn17: 9:07pm On Feb 27, 2011
Hello all

I am a Canadian man that has never been to Africa. The reason i am here is to post a concern of mine to people that may be in the position to comment and hopefully a kind soul will give me their opinion.

A friend of mine has grown acquainted with a Nigerian woman that lives in Ogbomosho, Oyo State via the Internet. They have been corresponding for well over a year and are quite fond of each other. In fact they plan to meet as this woman has already applied for and received a police report, medical and visa to visit Canada. I have seen her photo and am impressed with her physical beauty. This woman seems like a very loving woman as she is always sending him either emails or texts in order to stay in touch and to share each others daily struggles and blessings etc. She also has a son from a previous relationship that is five years old and is presently in the hospital. She identifies herself as a Christian woman that is quite connected to her local church and her pastor has also been corresponding with my friend. She seems to have a heart for God as they will often pray together over the phone or encourage each other with scripture.

My concern is that she may not be what she says she is. I find some of her story inconsistent and hard to believe at times and i fear the possibility that my friend may be deceived. Some things that trouble me are:

1) all her expenditures in Ogbomosho are made in US currency. According to the Internet the currency should be Naira, is it possible that many vendors prefer to accept US $? Even the hospital apparently accepts US dollars?

2) she has only given him two photographs so far. When he has requested additional pictures of her, her son and church friends she has replied that she needs to call a photographer and that not all people in Ogbomosho have digital cameras. Is it common to have a photographer take photographs for you in this region of Nigeria instead of just snapping your own?

3) when my friend has asked her to buy a digital camera, web cam or new mobile phone that will take pictures she always informs him that the cost of goods is very expensive in Nigeria. How much would a web cam or digital camera cost in Ogbomosho?

Well i guess that is about it for now. Since my friend has been providing some financial assistance to this woman i would like to know that is is being well spent.

Please advise.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by 190: 9:11pm On Feb 27, 2011
Theseeker grin grin grin
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by obowunmi(m): 9:15pm On Feb 27, 2011
Hopefully, ure dating a woman. Nigerian men who work as fraudsters, pretend to be women.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by vaughn17: 9:20pm On Feb 27, 2011
Yes unfortunately Nigeria is known worldwide for the scams that emanate from it's borders. He has spoken to her many times so she is definitely a woman, the answer to the three questions that i posed would assist in knowing whether she is truthful or not.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by obowunmi(m): 9:23pm On Feb 27, 2011
Since u trust this person to be a woman, assume she's telling you the truth. Keep giving her more money and to prove your love, visit her in Nigeria. Stop all your investigative questions, enjoy the ride and enjoy ur life.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by 677ano(m): 10:06pm On Feb 27, 2011
pure scam
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 27, 2011
there are many ways to know if that person´s story is genuine or not but since ¨your friend¨ seems to be ok with it all , why do YOU worry?
does he have doubts too?

fraudsters these days are on top of their game, and if you aint on top of yours then you would never catch the scam until your friends is down a few tens of thousands.
why doesnt your friend send all these items that you seem to be talking about? how much does a webcam cost where you reside?

first you have to check if A) the person in the pic your friend received is actually the person he is talking with. simply ask her to take a pic doing something silly or strange and to post it to you (like blinking etc or jumping on a chair). as silly as it may be, that will throw the scammers away.
if sleeping beauty cant conform then start being very suspicious.

B) you know that the sick family member story is the easiest to fleece people abroad, right?

C) have you ever CHECKED if her visa story is true or not? let me guess, your friend paid for the passport fee and what not?
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by vaughn17: 11:14pm On Feb 27, 2011
Ever heard the term "love is blind"? Sometimes friends can see things much more clearly as they can be impartial. I care about my friend, his financial condition and his heart. He is older than i am and never really embraced computers or the Internet.

The cost to purchase a digital camera or web cam in Canada would be $50 - $100. I have checked for him and to courier (FedEx) a digital camera and or web cam to Nigeria from Canada costs close to $500 CAD. I have been lead to believe that if we mail it the package will never reach her.

Yes i only heard about the sick boy needing an operation in the hospital this morning so that is why my suspicions have increased.

Yes my friend has paid for her passport. She has emailed him the passport and police report so he has copies. However she apparently paid for her Canadian Visa with USD which is not possible in my mind.

Do you use USD for any local shopping?
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 27, 2011
Lol From American need help now Canadian Need help
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Mcleo007(m): 11:30pm On Feb 27, 2011
Love nwantitin!
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 11:31pm On Feb 27, 2011
Reality! You made me spit my OJ! LMAO! I swear Americans and Canadians have a lot to learn! I am so appalled!
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 11:33pm On Feb 27, 2011
I wish they would send me more scamming letters. I am beginning to miss it! I guess the scammers got me on DO NOT Bleep WITH LIST. I actually looks forward to those type of emails. I can't believe DUMB ARSE AMERICANS AND CANADIANS are STILL falling for the scams.

SMH. Dumb arses!
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Blackteeth(m): 11:36pm On Feb 27, 2011
The first question you asked concerning expenses made in dollars is not a problem cos whenever I am talking to a foreigner, I always convert the figures from Naira to his/her local currencey just for him/her to understand the true weight of the amount. For the other questions, there is no excuse for her not send more pics. Mobile cameras are as cheap as affordable.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by xxcarolxx(f): 11:40pm On Feb 27, 2011
Your friend should stop sending money and gifts, It seems like he is been taken for a ride,
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Blackteeth(m): 11:49pm On Feb 27, 2011
Mrs chima, just shut the furck up!! Must you call them dumb arse? Primitive thing.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 11:51pm On Feb 27, 2011
Blackteeth:

Mrs chima, just shut the furck up!! Must you call them dumb arse? Primitive thing.

Show some respect sir.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 27, 2011
vaughn17:

Ever heard the term "love is blind"? Sometimes friends can see things much more clearly as they can be impartial. I care about my friend, his financial condition and his heart. He is older than i am and never really embraced computers or the Internet.

firts of all let me just say that some men deserve ALL they get from these fraudster FOR NOT USING THEIR DAMN BRAIN AND BEING GREEDY!!!!
you see a nice looking chick online and suddenly you think of dating her etc whil ein real life they never even dated a half decent human being. FAILED!!!!
then you wonder why these fraudster are so successful!!!

The cost to purchase a digital camera or web cam in Canada would be $50 - $100. I have checked for him and to courier (FedEx) a digital camera and or web cam to Nigeria from Canada costs close to $500 CAD. I have been lead to believe that if we mail it the package will never reach her.

stop believeing every rubbish she tells you and ENQUIRE ABOUT IT ALL BY YOURSELF.
btw what about sending HER/him the money to buy the webcam? or do you think it costs an arm and a leg (like you seem to think)

Yes i only heard about the sick boy needing an operation in the hospital this morning so that is why my suspicions have increased.

that should have been the drop that made it all burst. . . . . . . . . .  google nigerian dating scam to have an idea of what you are up against.
also i suggest you check: http://afroclub.net/scammer-pictures-used-in-scam-1.htm
and see if your friends bride isnt in the thousands of pics used by scammers.

Yes my friend has paid for her passport. She has emailed him the passport and police report so he has copies. However she apparently paid for her Canadian Visa with USD which is not possible in my mind.

very possible, everything has a USD price in 9ja because THAT currency is stable compared to the Naira so whether the rates go down or not, a USD price will make the value of item increase while the naira plummet!

i am sorry to say that you show all the sign of a scam being perpetrated so i suggest you smack your friend across the face so that he can wake the f&*k up and smell the coffee.

btw she wants to come to Canada and leave her son in hospital?

here is a simple clue to fish the scammers, he should tell this biatch that he is coming to 9ja and will visit her in whatever rat hole she says she is in, ask her to give the exact address so that he can come directly to visit her and also the hospital name /location/ and name of doc. AS I TOLD YOU EARLIER!!!!!
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Blackteeth(m): 11:53pm On Feb 27, 2011
REALITY, Show some respect to an animal who can't respect others?
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by vaughn17: 12:05am On Feb 28, 2011
She did give him the name and address of the hospital. Also he has called and spoke to the doctor. He also has her address and instead of visiting her wanted her to come here in winter to see her reaction of a Canadian winter in case they ever decide to marry. She never asked for money and was quite happy to accept a plane ticket if offered.

Since digital camera's are cheap you say (no actual figures have been thrown around) i will strongly suggest he get some more evidence.

Thanks for reading.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 12:07am On Feb 28, 2011
Blackteeth:

Why are you UPSET that I am calling Americans and Canadians that are scammed DUMB ARSES?   undecided undecided
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 12:08am On Feb 28, 2011
Blackteeth:

REALITY, Show some respect to an animal who can't respect others?

Did your mother birthed you through her pouch or out of her anus?
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 12:10am On Feb 28, 2011
Grabbing some peanut, *
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 12:10am On Feb 28, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

firts of all let me just say that some men deserve ALL they get from these fraudster FOR NOT USING THEIR DAMN BRAIN AND BEING GREEDY!!!!
you see a nice looking chick online and suddenly you think of dating her etc whil ein real life they never even dated a half decent human being. FAILED!!!!
then you wonder why these fraudster are so successful!!!

stop believeing every rubbish she tells you and ENQUIRE ABOUT IT ALL BY YOURSELF.
btw what about sending HER/him the money to buy the webcam? or do you think it costs an arm and a leg (like you seem to think)

that should have been the drop that made it all burst. . . . . . . . . .  google nigerian dating scam to have an idea of what you are up against.
also i suggest you check: http://afroclub.net/scammer-pictures-used-in-scam-1.htm
and see if your friends bride isnt in the thousands of pics used by scammers.

very possible, everything has a USD price in 9ja because THAT currency is stable compared to the Naira so whether the rates go down or not, a USD price will make the value of item increase while the naira plummet!

i am sorry to say that you show all the sign of a scam being perpetrated so i suggest you smack your friend across the face so that he can wake the f&*k up and smell the coffee.

btw she wants to come to Canada and leave her son in hospital?

here is a simple clue to fish the scammers, he should tell this biatch that he is coming to 9ja and will visit her in whatever rat hole she says she is in, ask her to give the exact address so that he can come directly to visit her and also the hospital name /location/ and name of doc. AS I TOLD YOU EARLIER!!!!!

Damn MBJ!  Tell us how you really feel!  You know MOST OF THESE PEOPLE on here can't handle salt.  You have to sugarfied for most of these chatters on this site.  Only a few can handle the excessive salt, brother.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 28, 2011
vaughn17:

She did give him the name and address of the hospital. Also he has called and spoke to the doctor.

bro, you mean he spoke to the SCAMMERS, post the number here pls. we will investigate further.

He also has her address and instead of visiting her wanted her to come here in winter to see her reaction of a Canadian winter in case they ever decide to marry. She never asked for money and was quite happy to accept a plane ticket if offered.

pls post the address for further investigation!!!!!

you make no sense any longer. . . . . . . .
- plane ticket for her and drop the dying kid, that she cares so much about, in africa?!(you can see that it makes no sense)
- they have decided to  marry without ever meeting?!
how can you know if she will accept a plane ticket ¨if offered¨ (if he didnt propose it)?

Since digital camera's are cheap you say (no actual figures have been thrown around) i will strongly suggest he get some more evidence.

btw doesnt she have a mobile? anyway look at the ulterior answers on the matter.

@mrs Chima
so far its not a 100% sure scam but the balance is way out on the red!!!!
some desperate down on their luck men would easily fall and get taken from these scammers. these men are greedy and the scammers use that to lure and fleece them.
how they gonna want to marry some beauty that they met online?! GREED!!!!!
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Blackteeth(m): 12:30am On Feb 28, 2011
Mrs. chima, anybody can be a victim of scams. The only guard against it is to be englightened. Nigerians as the chief culpripts of fraud are very much englightened than the Americans and Canadans cos it takes place at their backyard and they know exactly how it works. The Americans and canadians are not into fraud like Nigeria, so their low awareness is what makes them victims and not about being dumb. Get it to your head.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by vaughn17: 12:33am On Feb 28, 2011
No the plan for her to visit Canada was made before her Son's illness which only happened this weekend. She had already made arrangements to leave him in the care of her Pastor's family who she is apparently quite close to and often visits. They have never spoken of marriage outright but my friend would not be involved with a woman unless the possibility of marriage exists. She has verbally accepted the opportunity to come and they have planned a rough date but no ticket was purchased yet.

Thanks for the offer however I think i will bow out here. Thanks for replying and if nothing else was accomplished i had a peek at an interesting cross section of Nigerians, or at least people who post on a forum that is apparently Nigerian. What surreal place the Internet is.

Thanks again for reading.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Mcleo007(m): 12:58am On Feb 28, 2011
I have my legs in a bucket of water so I won't sleep. Maga go soon pay! Lwkmd. Seriuosly enjoying this thread. More pls! Guess we're on Episode 20 nw.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 1:00am On Feb 28, 2011
Blackteeth:

Mrs. chima, anybody can be a victim of scams. The only guard against it is to be englightened. Nigerians as the chief culpripts of fraud are very much englightened than the Americans and Canadans cos it takes place at their backyard and they know exactly how it works. The Americans and canadians are not into fraud like Nigeria, so their low awareness is what makes them victims and not about being dumb. Get it to your head.

Again, why are you UPSET that I called Americans and Canadians who have been scammed DUMB ARSES? undecided undecided undecided

Self reflection is a mofo huh? undecided
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by MrsChima(f): 1:02am On Feb 28, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

bro, you mean he spoke to the SCAMMERS, post the number here pls. we will investigate further.

pls post the address for further investigation!!!!!

you make no sense any longer. . . . . . . .
- plane ticket for her and drop the dying kid, that she cares so much about, in africa?!(you can see that it makes no sense)
- they have decided to  marry without ever meeting?!
how can you know if she will accept a plane ticket ¨if offered¨ (if he didnt propose it)?

btw doesnt she have a mobile? anyway look at the ulterior answers on the matter.

@mrs Chima
so far its not a 100% sure scam but the balance is way out on the red!!!!
some desperate down on their luck men would easily fall and get taken from these scammers. these men are greedy and the scammers use that to lure and fleece them.
how they gonna want to marry some beauty that they met online?! GREED!!!!!

By all means MBJ do your thang! I was just tryna cushion your blows that all. Let me move out the way.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 28, 2011
i think people should actually visit any country where they want to have a love interest, instead of just relying on the internet for easy hookups.

if you want to date/marry a nigerian for instanbce, save up your money and go there, meet people, interact.
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by sharpman1(m): 4:30pm On Feb 28, 2011
smells like SCAM!!!
Re: Canadian Man Dates Nigerian Woman - Long Distance by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 28, 2011
Vaungh17, wait bro, don't bow out just yet, I have more for you lol!!!!

If bridezilla used your friend's name to get the "supposed" Canadian visa that she got then it will be on records. Simply go to your local police station (in France we do it at the prefecture) and cross check the info and photos they got from that visa application (if there is one) with the photo and infos he got on the passport photocopy he/she sent.

Believe me, if your friend tell his story to the authority, they will be more than happy to double check.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chronicles Of A Lagos Banker / My Friend Is Crying because His Girlfriend Is Abt To Dump Him... / Married Or Not, You Should Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.