Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (116) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1380961 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Varvara: 3:22am On Sep 04, 2014
dinawe:

My reservation is from the 16th of September, but may arrive on the 15th of September.

So cool. I have already ticket and will be there on the 11th of September. Could you give me your mail?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 5:29am On Sep 04, 2014
ogonnan:

ah ah these chicks... y una dey do 2 aside conversation na? please what's the scoop on this Dr Soyoola... if he is cheaper and there are good things said about him, i can port too na...
I think the $2150 for Oduro is already the discounted price. unless there is any further negotiation you can do when he sees your face. @mimibe, as the only one who is there now, can you confirm if Dr. Oduro is open to further nego?
@Genomi- i'm going to be staying with family, so can't help with the accommodation question, pele....

I realized that these guys are opened to negotiation, but I didn't take the advantage cos I had paid b4 I got d hint, when you see them face to face, they are will to take cash that you hand to them. Cos it's a cashless society n insurance doesn't pay on time I guess. Even the Gwinnett bill sef I will beat it down when d time comes.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Ubuikeja: 5:39am On Sep 04, 2014
Mrsfad2014: Pls i need urgent help. Can anyone suggest an apartment and hospital including Doctor for me in Houston. Also i was just wandering why people are going to El paso, pls i will appreciate all response on this.

We chose El Paso (doctoresparati.com) because of their rating. We were chosing between MIHS and Doctoresparati and saw the ratings mentioned on Healthgrades of both and comments here, plus everything was already set up by people who specialize in maternity tourism as somebody already mentioned (which is what we want). When we tried to contact MIHS and other hospitals the comunication was impossible and doctoresparati has always responded immediately. We will be there very soon... Please, can anybody already in El Paso tell me where there are more people? We are choosing between Ramada and Intown. How far is the Hospital and how far is it to buy groceries? Help.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Soso15: 7:47am On Sep 04, 2014
lekiks:

@phema, had similar considerations....

Here are more factors to consider
Poe: for BA , its heathrow, for delta its atlanta..none is so problematic
Infant ticket:delta may require return ticket 4 ur infant since he is a citizen except he has a naija passport
Wait times: from what i saw , the wait time at heathrow is too long .just had to wait a little at atlanta

I booked delta at wakanow, dnt tink it can be booked directly on their website.prices varies..was tracking the thing like a forex guru..hope this helps
Poe is the first state you enter in the states, so it can't be Heathrow, as Heathrow is in London. So depending on your ticket, if your ticket has a direct flight to Phoenix from London, then Phoenix will be your Poe, if it stops over in another state in the United States, (say new york) before heading to Phoenix, then new york will be your Poe. Children under 2 years old pay 10% of an adult fee, so your baby's ticket shouldn't be that expensive.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 04, 2014
Soso15:
Poe is the first state you enter in the states, so it can't be Heathrow, as Heathrow is in London. So depending on your ticket, if your ticket has a direct flight to Phoenix from London, then Phoenix will be your Poe, if it stops over in another state in the United States, (say new york) before heading to Phoenix, then new york will be your Poe. Children under 2 years old pay 10% of an adult fee, so your baby's ticket shouldn't be that expensive.

Thanks. I thought as much.

But then, I heard some airlines actually ask for return ticket for an infant. Especially American indigenous airlines.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 04, 2014
Please, who has flown BA to Phoenix??

Were you able to tweak the wait time at Heathrow a lil bit? Wait time on the return leg is almost 14hours shocked. That will be quite stressful especially with an infant. Do they even provide hotel accommodation?

I need some clarification please.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by lizcom25: 7:58am On Sep 04, 2014
@Soso15: You are on point on your POE explanation.My wife us using BA to Elpaso. She stops over in Heathrow and POE is Dallas.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 9:30am On Sep 04, 2014
@ogonnan Thanks, I have already found a couple of options in terms of accommodation. Yes according to what I'm learning, you can still negotiate down o. I'm just waiting for advice from oyinkay123 on how best to go about negotiating Dr. Soyoola's costs grin grin grin grin

@mimibe Yes o you need to negotiate with Gwinnett for the hospital bill, my friend only paid $2,100 after negotiating with them.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 04, 2014
@GenoMI , I did ask dr Oduro about price reduction et al and he was like bla!bla! That the 2150 usd was his lower margin that ideally he charges 2500usd .....but you should still ask perhaps I no just sabi haggle well ni smiley . And his nurse did mention also that payment should be on or before one is 37weeks gone.
As for accommodation; I can't really help out as I'm staying with a friend also.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by titibaby: 9:35am On Sep 04, 2014
Hi Phema. I flew BA to USA when I was going to have my baby. Soso is right about the POE & cost of your baby's ticket. However I believe it depends on the documentation you have for the baby. Remember that if you use a Nigerian visa, nothing identifies the baby as a Nigerian citizen hence the airlines might require a return ticket for the baby. I have never heard of BA providing accomodation for a long layover. The best i have ever heard is people going through immigration to sleep in a hotel at their own costs. But really this is best clarified with the airline.

NB. I used an emergency travel certificate because for sentimental reasons I didn't want a visa.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 9:40am On Sep 04, 2014
@Jaejae Ah, lol - I'm really crap at negotiating too o, but I will still try grin grin grin

You guys with friends and family are quite lucky, accommodation is not cheap o cry cry cry

Jaejae: @GenoMI , I did ask dr Oduro about price reduction et al and he was like bla!bla! That the 2150 usd was his lower margin that ideally he charges 2500usd .....but you should still ask perhaps I no just sabi haggle well ni smiley . And his nurse did mention also that payment should be on or before one is 37weeks gone.
As for accommodation; I can't really help out as I'm staying with a friend also.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 04, 2014
titibaby: NB. I used an emergency travel certificate because for sentimental reasons I didn't want a visa.

Thanks titibaby. Did you have your baby in Phx?

At the bolded; can you explain? What advantage does a travel certificate have over a visa? Does it mean that with a Nigerian visa, one must have to buy a return ticket for the infant but won't be same with the travel document?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 9:57am On Sep 04, 2014
Hello all, good morning. Please i need clarity from those whose POE was atlanta. I want to know if you had to pick up your luggage at Atlanta and check it in again for the next leg. Thanks for your response.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dsaynt: 9:58am On Sep 04, 2014
titibaby: Hi Phema. I flew BA to USA when I was going to have my baby. Soso is right about the POE & cost of your baby's ticket. However I believe it depends on the documentation you have for the baby. Remember that if you use a Nigerian visa, nothing identifies the baby as a Nigerian citizen hence the airlines might require a return ticket for the baby. I have never heard of BA providing accomodation for a long layover. The best i have ever heard is people going through immigration to sleep in a hotel at their own costs. But really this is best clarified with the airline.

NB. I used an emergency travel certificate because for sentimental reasons I didn't want a visa.

Quick Question: Are you saying that if the child has a US passport and a Nigerian Visa on it that the child has to buy a return ticket? When I bought mine all I did was add an infant to the ticket which was about 10% of the ticket. Is this your statement perculiar to certain airlines or all? This issue is always casuing confusion and no one has been able to answer it fully.
Please mothers in the house that have travelled back with their infants...what did you do and with which airline? Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by dsaynt: 10:00am On Sep 04, 2014
mamacajah: Hello all, good morning. Please i need clarity from those whose POE was atlanta. I want to know if you had to pick up your luggage at Atlanta and check it in again for the next leg. Thanks for your response.

If you bought your ticket all the way through with one airline you dont need to do that cos the airline will route it all the way. However if you made seperate arrangement like buying a seperate ticket from another airline, you will need to pick up your bags and head over to the counter of the other airline to check it in
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2014
dsaynt:
If you bought your ticket all the way through with one airline you dont need to do that cos the airline will route it all the way. However if you made seperate arrangement like buying a seperate ticket from another airline, you will need to pick up your bags and head over to the counter of the other airline to check it in

Eeerrrmmmm, are you very sure about this? I thought one will have to pick her bags at the POE, not necessarily one's last destination. So, if Atlanta is the POE of that airline, you will have to pick your bags and check in again to get to your final destination. Remember its at the POE your bags are scrutinised for foodstuff and other things before getting stamped in.

which airline did you go with?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 10:10am On Sep 04, 2014
Please all new mommas in the house, will you be shipping baby items like food and diapers back to Nigeria?

If so, please what quantities should one be looking at? For example, how does one know how many packs of diapers to get and also what sizes? PLEASE HELP OO!! I'm confused.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by GenoMI: 10:15am On Sep 04, 2014
From my experience travelling internationally , @dsaynt is right. If you buy your ticket all the way with one airline, the airline will route your luggage all the way to your final destination automatically without you having to do anything i.e. pickup at one point and check-in again.

Phema:

Eeerrrmmmm, are you very sure about this? I thought one will have to pick her bags at the POE, not necessarily one's last destination. So, if Atlanta is the POE of that airline, you will have to pick your bags and check in again to get to your final destination. Remember its at the POE your bags are scrutinised for foodstuff and other things before getting stamped in.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 04, 2014
GenoMI: From my experience travelling internationally , @dsaynt is right. If you buy your ticket all the way with one airline, the airline will route your luggage all the way to your final destination automatically without you having to do anything i.e. pickup at one point and check-in again.

Oh really? Didn't know that. Thought it had something to do with one's POE. Cool then
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 04, 2014
Phema:

Oh really? Didn't know that. Thought it had something to do with one's POE. Cool then
no actually with my experience too with international flights, you pick your bag at your last destination, if your hand luggage is too much sef and it's lockable they will collect it and tag it and check it in for you. You don't need to go through the stress of carrying load if you are connecting.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Varvara: 11:21am On Sep 04, 2014
Hi, guys!

Does everybody here have any insurance to travel in USA?
I mean..ok you paid already in MIHS or Doctoresparati for delivering your baby, but if you would have any complication after that?
How will you cover it?

My cousin was delivering in USA, after 2 days when she was ready to leave hospital, but unexpectedly she couldn't breath, she had problems with lung.
Fortunately, emergency reacted very fast and made her surgery. Cost was 75 000 $, in those moment she was a student and had usa insurance. SO they covered it.

But we are tourist right now.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by twizzie: 11:52am On Sep 04, 2014
For diapers, you can buy as many as you can.. just buy varying sizes depending on your baby's size...From newborn to sizes 1,2,3,4 and 5..More of 3 and 4 tho.. It's quite economical. I had an extra bag full of diaper from the UK tho I didn't birth my child there and it was worth it.. For food, I would advise you not to buy so much.. They can only take formulas for the first 6 months anyways and other cereals after six months which your baby might not just like.(Talking from experience)
There are lots of stores in Nigeria that you can get baby food rather than storing them down in the house.. I really don't have an idea as to shipping but I am hopeful someone will.

GenoMI: Please all new mommas in the house, will you be shipping baby items like food and diapers back to Nigeria?

If so, please what quantities should one be looking at? For example, how does one know how many packs of diapers to get and also what sizes? PLEASE HELP OO!! I'm confused.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 04, 2014
chloe7: no actually with my experience too with international flights, you pick your bag at your last destination, if your hand luggage is too much sef and it's lockable they will collect it and tag it and check it in for you. You don't need to go through the stress of carrying load if you are connecting.

It's all clearer now. Thanks smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 12:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
Thanks all. Much appreciated wink
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 1:18pm On Sep 04, 2014
@ justwise - you dont need to be upset when people drop contact details naa. haba! i'm sure we all have better things to do than to be advertising for hospitals/agents. Its nothing personal, pls allow pple to share info free because u dont know how frustrating it can be when you are looking for certain info on this matter. the way the US medical system works, YOU DO NOT GET ANYTHING FOR REFERRALS! thats the truth jare.

those of us dropping contact info just wanna help, sincerely. personally, I GAIN NOTHING from dropping info on this thread. I don go born my pickin for yankee so I dont need the info i'm dropping and i'm certainly no agent. some of us just derive joy in helping others and showing them the way because SOMEONE HELPED US TOO! SOMEONE GAVE US CONTACT INFO TOO!!! it can be very confusing sitting here in naija and planning to have a baby in the us, its not easy and everyone needs all the help they can get.

pls allow people to help others without making it look like agent/commission tinz. pls ok. I doubt that the agents will come back here after all the "tsunami" and "drama" I read about.

I hope I didnt sound offensive in anyway, I'm only trying to point out the fact that in a bid to curb the activities of those that exploit this thread, you may be unconsciously pushing away the genuine ones too...

Warm Regards to everyone
justwise:

This is exactly why i'm against people dropping contact details of Drs or hospitals here, many members here are now using it indirectly to advertise for some Drs/hospitals. People get commission and discounts for recommending certain hospital or Dr.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 1:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hello,

I flew BA and they really dont care about whether your baby has naija or us passport etc, that your own responsibility. Infant ticket will be charged at 10% of mother's fare plus some extra orisirisi so basically, your baby's ticket will be N50,000 plus or minus. The infant ticket rides on yours so you wont even get any miles/avios for it. Its a one-way ticket because you would have already used one leg of your ticket for departure from naija, its only coming back home that would be the active leg of your ticket as at the time you are booking for your baby. No seat for the baby though, you go lap your pikin but they'll also give you a bassinet for your baby on the flight. For the infant ticket you also get 23kg (one suitcase) for your baby + baby bag + car seat + stroller. EXPO: thers no weight or liquid restriction for you baby bag so you go take style pack am full. lol

pls I'm speaking for BA only o, I dont know about other airlines coz I only fly BA. Although, I think I read somewhere that Qatar or smth charges 20% for infant ticket. pls crosscheck sha

hope my explanation is clear.
Regards...
It is your
dsaynt:

Quick Question: Are you saying that if the child has a US passport and a Nigerian Visa on it that the child has to buy a return ticket? When I bought mine all I did was add an infant to the ticket which was about 10% of the ticket. Is this your statement perculiar to certain airlines or all? This issue is always casuing confusion and no one has been able to answer it fully.
Please mothers in the house that have travelled back with their infants...what did you do and with which airline? Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by justwise(m): 1:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
bloggerina: @ justwise - you dont need to be upset when people drop contact details naa. haba! i'm sure we all have better things to do than to be advertising for hospitals/agents. Its nothing personal, pls allow pple to share info free because u dont know how frustrating it can be when you are looking for certain info on this matter. the way the US medical system works, YOU DO NOT GET ANYTHING FOR REFERRALS! thats the truth jare.

those of us dropping contact info just wanna help, sincerely. personally, I GAIN NOTHING from dropping info on this thread. I don go born my pickin for yankee so I dont need the info i'm dropping and i'm certainly no agent. some of us just derive joy in helping others and showing them the way because SOMEONE HELPED US TOO! SOMEONE GAVE US CONTACT INFO TOO!!! it can be very confusing sitting here in naija and planning to have a baby in the us, its not easy and everyone needs all the help they can get.

pls allow people to help others without making it look like agent/commission tinz. pls ok. I doubt that the agents will come back here after all the "tsunami" and "drama" I read about.

I hope I didnt sound offensive in anyway, I'm only trying to point out the fact that in a bid to curb the activities of those that exploit this thread, you may be unconsciously pushing away the genuine ones too...

Warm Regards to everyone

Please speak for yourself because a lot of people have done exactly that here. A lot of people parading as genuine members here and dropping contact details are not genuine, i know when people genuinely want to help and when people just came here to promote a doctor or drop their own contact details.

I'm only trying to help just like few people here, this is a volunteery work, not getting paid neither do i need a visa to US but at the same time i don't want to moderate this section for bunch of dubious characters.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 1:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
yeah I was expecting that...last time i checked, i actually spoke for myself. nobody follow me waka come.
no further comment.
Enjoy
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 1:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
Does anyone have info on Doctor and Hospital in Katy Texas?
A friend of mine is intrested please, preferably something within $5-6k range?
Thank Youuuuu...

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by major1p: 1:43pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hello Everyone, been a silent follower on this thread until i asked the question about BA last week.

I just felt the need to give back. I learnt to be honest from this thread. I claimed testimonies, and basically, i just got a lot of confidence from people's positive stories.

I arrived the US yesterday. I flew BA at between 34-35 weeks. Since my hospital did not categorically state that I was fit to fly, I had to get another medical certificate from Port health. Just your blood pressure and your weight and it will be issued. BA was ok. no one asked me anything, not even at Heathrow if that clarifies any questions anyone may have about the airline.

Came in through JFK and just like @Logictinz, POE was smooth. actually i was not asked any question just told me to thumbprint and capture and have a nice stay and stamped me in. i contemplated going back to ask if he looked at me well. on handing over my customs form, the official then asked why i was there. told him to have my baby and all he asked was how much cash and where i work and how long i want to stay. no questions about my doctor, no cash confirmation, nothing.

When i read Logictinz' story i claimed it. i was calm and God was just in control.

Just felt the need to contribute to reassure anyone who thinks it's impossible to state the truth. actually, i kept being reminded 'Say the truth and the truth will set you free'. Also be calm. in the end, you'll wonder why you worried so much about anything. God is faithful and if He starts the process, He'll perfect it.

Thank you all and God bless everyone.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 1:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hello,

To answer your question specifically, you dont really need travel insurance unless you are really rich. lol Nobody prays for complications but in the event that something extra happens, they are likely to give you and outrageous bill that will make you feel like running away. Dont run and dont take Medicaid (for your baby). the key word is - NEGOTIATE. They like money well well so once you tell them you are self-pay without insurance and you would like to pay cash and settle all your bills, they are ready to play ball. You will negoatiate till the person on the phone will almost vex and abuse you. keep calling and keep telling them you cant afford the bill they sent you but you want to pay and get your account to zero balance. They'll listen.
All their hospital packages do not cover complications o so if anything extra happens, they want to milk you dry because they are used to doing that with the insurance companies.

Infact, for every bill you get in the US, if you dont ask for discount, nobody will tell you. Negotiate everything!!!

Hope this was helpful.

Warm regards...

Varvara: Hi, guys!

Does everybody here have any insurance to travel in USA?
I mean..ok you paid already in MIHS or Doctoresparati for delivering your baby, but if you would have any complication after that?
How will you cover it?

My cousin was delivering in USA, after 2 days when she was ready to leave hospital, but unexpectedly she couldn't breath, she had problems with lung.
Fortunately, emergency reacted very fast and made her surgery. Cost was 75 000 $, in those moment she was a student and had usa insurance. SO they covered it.

But we are tourist right now.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by major1p: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2014
chloe7: no actually with my experience too with international flights, you pick your bag at your last destination, if your hand luggage is too much sef and it's lockable they will collect it and tag it and check it in for you. You don't need to go through the stress of carrying load if you are connecting.

I'm not sure I agree with you people. I remember they kept announcing at JFK to pick up your luggage even if you're connecting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.