Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (134) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1382022 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by omodaddy7: 6:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
omodaddy7: Goodmorning

Somebody pls help urgently! I am Elpaso bound in December and I want to conclude on my flight bookings this week.
Please I need info on where I can enrol my daughter ( daycare / Cretche ) around intown suites as I might need to travel with her.... Has any1 been in this situation before? (Where you had to travel to Elpaso with your daughter all by urself... She's 2 years+).... I will appreciate your response asap.
Thanks and do all have a great week.

Please can someone help with my request? Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MadameU: 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for this. Great rates! Will definatelycheck them out.

Did you say the $1640.37 is all inclusive? What facilities does this have please? Free Wifi? Furnished Apartment? Kitchenette? Etc[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MadameU: 7:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
omodaddy7:

Please can someone help with my request? Thanks

sorry I dont have any info on this.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by shelly23: 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2014
Sorry if i'm asking the same question over and over again. Are you stating childbirth on your application? I'm due to renew my visa via dropbox in December (when i'm about 30wks gone) and i'm afraid of rejection. I feel like childbirth is something best explained when I see the VO face to face. Not sure how it'll be just sending in paperwork.

Pamperme: To think i was just planning to change from New York to MIHS, Phoenix because of the weather around that period! sad sad

Abeg Uncle Oawele, let us have an update as soon as you can o. I need to finalise my plans before the end of the month.

Planning on doing drop-box to renew my visa later this month.

@raii, we might be heading to MIHS together, travelling last week in December.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MadameU: 7:17pm On Sep 15, 2014
The elderly are hardly stressed at the consulate. These few items may help though, A copy of your Visa and Passport Page, Your appointment letter, A letter of intent from you explaining your trip and ability to finance hers, your bank statement and any other document you deem necessary. The key thing is to coach her on your travel plans i.e. makes sure she understands the purpose of the trip and your destination.[/quote]

thanks boss! Relieving....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 7:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 8:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
sayoberry:
:o15 gini?

Come on! It's just $15k. Nothing you can't afford. grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Dammiecouture: 8:16pm On Sep 15, 2014
MadameU: Thanks for this. Great rates! Will definatelycheck them out.

Did you say the $1640.37 is all inclusive? What facilities does this have please? Free Wifi? Furnished Apartment? Kitchenette? Etc
yes d apartment is furnished kitchenette, but not fully furnished cos u still av to get a TV, bed spread nd some kitchen utensils.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 15, 2014
Dammiecouture: yes d apartment is furnished kitchenette, but not fully furnished cos u still av to get a TV, bed spread nd some kitchen utensils.

Yea. Just spoke with them. Same rates you said but not fully furnished. And I think she said no house keeping too.

Is there free Wifi?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by raii: 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
Phema: Abeg, who has tried booking Crossland Economy Hotels through the Extended stay route? Just made a reservation for 60 nights and it ain't cheap at all. I've just 24hrs to cancel the reservation or a 3 night charge will be applied. undecided

Got it at the rate of $26.24 per night till December 31st and $28.49 per night as from January 2014. Total for 60 nights came up to $1626.30 with additional tax of $199.55. Everything summed up to $1825.85. Also, a refundable service charge of $150 on checking in.

Any cheaper option in Phoenix with same facilities as Crossland?

I called on sunday and they said they dont even have the 60 day extended prog anymore. I plan to call biltmore tomorrow.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
impish: Hi all, thanks for the well wishes. We are very grateful. We are all doing great. Labour and delivery was smooth and short, an answer to our prayers from God. The sleepless nights have been a bit rough. We thank God for his mercies and grace, and for seeing us through the first month. Our son was 1month yesterday.

Anyway, we used Gwinnett Medical Centre. Mother's bill was about $4500 (It was initially ~$5000 due to a mistake in the billing, so word of advice, if you are not using a package deal, go through your bill line by line. If in doubt, call the billing department. It is your money, do not be shy! lol). Baby's bill was $900. There was a 40% discount applied to both mother and baby's bills. Cant remember what the total came to, probably about $3300 for mother and baby. Ob/Gyn was North Metro Womens Centre and cost $1950.

Regarding our son's documents, we are in Atlanta, so we simply went to the Probate Court in Gwinnett and got the BC three days after birth (gave birth on Thursday, discharged on Friday, went to court on Monday). Then, we went to Rockdale County Courthouse for the US passport. No queues, took no more than 30 minutes. Paid for expedited service. Then, we went to the Nigerian embassy and applied for his Nigerian passport. It cost no more than $100 in total for the Nigerian passport. I apologise, my husband handled all this so I do not know the cost of both his US and Nigerian passports. We got his US passport 8 working days after we applied though we were told at the time of application that it would take 2-3 weeks. The Nigerian passport was to be ready on the 25th of June (we applied on the 12th of June), but we only went today to pick it up.

Pediatrician cost us $50 per visit. We have made 3 visits so far. We had two blood tests done because our LO was jaundiced. They have charged us $200 for this but I am waiting for the bill to come in the mail before settling this. We used the hospital pediatrician at birth and were charged $180, which we bargained down to $126 before paying.

We still haven't gotten his SSN. We tried to go to the SS office but were told at the office that the hospital was already in the process of applying for it for us as we had ticked same in the forms provided at the hospital.

Lessons learnt/advice:
1. Go through each bill diligently. Even oyinbos make mistakes.
2. May opt for a package deal at a hospital that offers same. That way, we will be able to control our costs as they will be fixed from day 1.
3. Do not be shy to bargain and haggle. It is your hard earned Naira. Use it wisely! lol
4. Check every detail on the temporary BC issued by the hospital before applying for the original BC. My maiden name was mistakenly written same as my married name by the hospital. Because we were in a hurry to apply for the BC, we did not wait to receive the temporary one which the hospital mailed to us. Even at the probate court when we realised the mistake, we just accepted it and went on to pay for 3 original BCs. Now, after further thought, we have decided to correct it once and for all as BC is a vital record. This means another ~$55 for 3 new BCs and a trip to Gwinnett county.
5. Pray to God and ask for whatever you want. Even the most random and seemingly unimportant things. I was specific even to the point of asking for a particular birth weight grin grin grin, labour period etc! and my God obliged.
6. Be prepared for the after birth phase. I found that to be harder than labour and delivery and pregnancy (heartburn, morning sickness and all) all joined together. Nothing, I mean nothing, could have prepared me for the sleepless nights, incessant worrying and lack of time for myself.
7. Lastly, remember that you are a good mother/parent. You birthed this perfect being and went through 9 months of pregnancy. I am often times hard on myself to be a perfect mum. I am always tired and sometimes moody (the sleepless nights will do that to you!) I sometimes get down on myself and feel like I am not doing a good job. I worry that I am not making the best decisions for my son, that I am carrying him too much or too little. But I am learning everyday, and now I remind myself that it is okay to make mistakes. It is okay to not know how to do everything from day 1. That babies cry, and that is okay too. That this race is not mine to run alone. Parenthood is all about God's grace.

May God bless us all and grant us the grace to be the best parents we can be to our LOs!!

Cheers,

Imp

@impish, were you induced? Is there a charge for induction?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bims87(f): 10:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
Hello peeps, from doing some research,somebody recommended an hospital in Montgomery, Alabama where she gave birth and the hospital fee is 2800 while the Doc's fee is 1200. M turning towards dre right now in the event of MIHS fee increase.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by cfcchick: 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
bims87: Hello peeps, from doing some research,somebody recommended an hospital in Montgomery, Alabama where she gave birth and the hospital fee is 2800 while the Doc's fee is 1200. M turning towards dre right now in the event of MIHS fee increase.
Pls can u get d name pls
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by MadameU: 11:23pm On Sep 15, 2014
raii:

I called on sunday and they said they dont even have the 60 day extended prog anymore. I plan to call biltmore tomorrow.

@ phema the quote u got isn't bad for 60days,when I book I get crazy ass figures for 60days at a lil less than 4k
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Sep 15, 2014
MadameU:
@ phema the quote u got isn't bad for 60days,when I book I get crazy ass figures for 60days at a lil less than 4k

Call them on +18003987829 and tell them you want the extended stay program for Crossland Economy Hotels, McDowell Rd, Phoenix. You should get same rates.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 1:23am On Sep 16, 2014
phmom:

yes o, I am an April 2015 mom to be and hope to go to MIHS though I don't have visa or anything yet. pls lets go through this process together if you don't mind

Aww yay! My dear I have visa already and planning on traveling mid February before the elections so I don't get stuck in naija lol.

But what info do you need to start your planning? Maybe I can help
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by oawele: 5:20am On Sep 16, 2014
I went to MIHS and was able to meet with one of the business services manager. She said the maternity package is currently under review and during the review period which is supposed to be concluded by 1st of October, 2014 they will no longer be scheduling or issuing appointments to patients.

Those that already have appointment scheduled between now and 1st of Oct can still come in, they would be paying the normal cost. However, those with appointments scheduled for 1st of Oct onwards will be paying the reviewed prize irrespective of when you got your appointment.

Tried to find out what the review would look like but she didn’t have an idea, maybe se didnt want to say.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 6:08am On Sep 16, 2014
oawele: I went to MIHS and was able to meet with one of the business services manager. She said the maternity package is currently under review and during the review period which is supposed to be concluded by 1st of October, 2014 they will no longer be scheduling or issuing appointments to patients.
Those that already have appointment scheduled between now and 1st of Oct can still come in, they would be paying the normal cost. However, those with appointments scheduled for 1st of Oct onwards will be paying the reviewed prize irrespective of when you got your appointment.
Tried to find out what the review would look like but she didn’t have an idea, maybe se didnt want to say.

This one is a typical case of the higher the demand the higher the price. Nigerians can over do things. If you know the number of women going to Mihs you go fear. Even the accommodation rate of the apartments will increase with time. People should try and make individual effort to search for a hospital.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by angel55: 6:24am On Sep 16, 2014
Hello Elpaso bound mums. Pls how do I book a flight from nigeria straight to Elpaso
Or do I get to Dallas first before getting a ticket.
Someone please help as I will be leaving sept 30th flights are expensive now and it's increasing in price every second
Too bad when one has to get a visa late no enough time to plan.
Please help
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 16, 2014
Oawele; thanks a lot. Atleast, that confirms what we heard.

Now, all we can do is wait for the reviewed price. Hmmnn. . .
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 6:33am On Sep 16, 2014
Hi Flowers, sorry if I may sound rude but what do u mean by Nigerians can over do things. Everyone is trying to save cost please. Do u av an idea of pple goin to Elpaso b4 Vivianoobas(Godd bless her) discovered MIHS. Will u see something of 3000usd with good service but rather go for d one of 10,000usd

MIHS is just overwhelmed by d pple trooping in as they barely had this kind of crowd b4 and it's so obvious they can't handle it and thus feel d best option is to increase d price. Even if d price is increased and still affordable pple will troop there.

As for accommodation, pls be informed that it's not Nigerians that causes d increase. In d whole of US, phoenix has d best weather when it comes to winter (October-April) thus pple from other state especially d old ones relocate to phoenix during winter thus d hike in accommodation. Also be informed that d much talked about super bowl would be in phoenix February 2015 so accommodation would even go higher.

People made research and lots of it for that matter. If u were here b4 d NL crash, then u would know that enough research was done and it's still been done. If MIHS like they increase d price, pple will still flock there

Flowers:

This one is a typical case of the higher the demand the higher the price. Nigerians can over do things. If you know the number of women going to Mihs you go fear. Even the accommodation rate of the apartments will increase with time. People should try and make individual effort to search for a hospital.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bims87(f): 6:58am On Sep 16, 2014
cfcchick:
Pls can u get d name pls

Jackson Hospital, u can goggle it
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by oawele: 7:20am On Sep 16, 2014
Flowers:

Dont blame any body, the prize is the cheapest you can get any where in the states.... even cheaper that some hospitals in Nigeria. Mind you its not only Nigerians that patronises the Mat package.

Anyways when one door closes another door will open.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ogonnan: 7:51am On Sep 16, 2014
seemorejoy: @ ogonna pls which hospital did you use and what's the doctor contact how much is the cost.

hiya.. m heading for Gwinnett hospital and using william oduro. gwinett is 4000-6000 for normal delivery with a 40% discount if u pay withing 30 days. Doctor is about 2150....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Flowers: 8:11am On Sep 16, 2014
oawele:
Dont blame any body, the prize is the cheapest you can get any where in the states.... even cheaper that some hospitals in Nigeria. Mind you its not only Nigerians that patronises the Mat package.
Anyways when one door closes another door will open.
Nita2013: Hi Flowers, sorry if I may sound rude but what do u mean by Nigerians can over do things. Everyone is trying to save cost please. Do u av an idea of pple goin to Elpaso b4 Vivianoobas(Godd bless her) discovered MIHS. Will u see something of 3000usd with good service but rather go for d one of 10,000usd
MIHS is just overwhelmed by d pple trooping in as they barely had this kind of crowd b4 and it's so obvious they can't handle it and thus feel d best option is to increase d price. Even if d price is increased and still affordable pple will troop there.
As for accommodation, pls be informed that it's not Nigerians that causes d increase. In d whole of US, phoenix has d best weather when it comes to winter (October-April) thus pple from other state especially d old ones relocate to phoenix during winter thus d hike in accommodation. Also be informed that d much talked about super bowl would be in phoenix February 2015 so accommodation would even go higher.
People made research and lots of it for that matter. If u were here b4 d NL crash, then u would know that enough research was done and it's still been done. If MIHS like they increase d price, pple will still flock there

My point was just that for anything in biz, the higher the demand for it thje higher the price. Nigerians over doing thing I mean is that some people just come to the forum and flow with the crowd without any research. Just asking questions and questions without even reading the forum. Am not here to trade words with anyone. Some people are just rude.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 8:20am On Sep 16, 2014

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by cfcchick: 9:07am On Sep 16, 2014
Flowers:

My point was just that for anything in biz, the higher the demand for it thje higher the price. Nigerians over doing thing I mean is that some people just come to the forum and flow with the crowd without any research. Just asking questions and questions without even reading the forum. Am not here to trade words with anyone. Some people are just rude.
h
Flowers, it sounds like u are d rude one here my darlin. ...aw are u gonna blame people looking out for affordable service? Is it easy...people work so for their money and ur here saying Nigerians can over do thins!!!!! Ridiculous. .no right thinking person wud take 10, 000 over 2, 888...so drop it.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 9:15am On Sep 16, 2014
@Mrs flowers, Nita , CFCchicks and uncle Oawele. ...Make una no vex . I already envisaged something like this will happen because of the crowd trooping to MIHS. Everyone responds to the law of demand and supply, it's not peculiar to Nigerians alone.

Finding good alternatives is what we should preoccupy ourselves with. Yesterday, i saw one maternity package in Sarasota, florida but the price is still around 5k epidural and everything inclusive. I called them to know if discounts can be granted but it was entering voice mail. So The search continues.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by cfcchick: 9:18am On Sep 16, 2014
Tvegas: @mrs flowers, Nita and uncle Oawele. ...Make una no vex . I already envisaged something like this will happen because of the crowd trooping to MIHS. Everyone responds to the law of demand and supply, it's not peculiar to Nigerians alone.

Finding good alternatives is what we should preoccupy ourselves with. Yesterday, i saw one maternity package in Sarasota, florida but the price is still around 5k epidural and everything inclusive. I called them to know if discounts can be granted but it was entering voice mail. So The search continues.

@ Tvegas, pls watz d name of d hospital so I can try calling dem as well.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by seemorejoy: 9:21am On Sep 16, 2014
@Tvegas pls if you find anything out about Sarasota Florida, Pls let me know i also want to use Florida and i have been searching online for all the details i can gather but no luck yet.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Tvegas(m): 9:24am On Sep 16, 2014
cfcchick:
@ Tvegas, pls watz d name of d hospital so I can try calling dem as well.

The name is Sarasota Memorial Health care system,they've got a beautiful hospital. Below is the link, you will see the maternity package as soon as you open it. Though sarasota is a small town of 53k people, The weather and enviroment is ok for birthing during the winter. [url]http://home.smh.com/sections/services-procedures/srvc_women-child_health/Maternity%20Package%20Plan%20Agreement.pdf[/url]

(1) (2) (3) ... (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.